Bachelor's degree but no job skills!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

recentgrad88 in York, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

I just graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in a pretty much useless degree--Interdisciplinary Studies--which meant I was able to choose classes from three majors (History, Poli Sci, and Geography) to make my own major because I couldn't decide on one and wanted to still be able to graduate in a timely manner (rather than majoring in more than one discipline, which would've taken at least an extra semester or two). I was hoping to get a government job once I graduated but have found that govt agencies aren't hiring AND that I qualify for almost no positions (except those that require an Associate's Degree or lower). Ideally, I would like to get an internship to get experience at a government agency, non-profit, museum, historical society, or something like that, but the few that I've found are full-time and don't pay and I cannot survive without an income right now, especially since I have to start paying off my school loans in November. Most of the jobs I've come across that are available in my area are accountants, admin assistants, customer service and sales reps, computer and IT jobs, and jobs in the health field, none of which I qualify for. It seems like people with career-specific Associate's are better off than me with my liberal arts Bachelor's and I'm considering starting to take classes toward a certificate or diploma program at my local community college in something like bookkeeping or accounting, paralegal studies, web development/design, graphic design, or even in a trade (I have relatives who make very good money as welders and electricians). Is there any field or kind of job I would qualify for now that I'm unaware of? Would it be a waste to spend more money to take some career-specific classes that would ultimately land me in a job that doesn't pay very well (like as a bookkeeper, admin assistant, or paralegal)? Would I have trouble getting a job with my degree if the economy weren't bad? Any advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

tardermark in Brea, California

48 months ago

go back to school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

KB in Lady Lake, Florida

48 months ago

I'm kind of in the same boat. I finally completed my B.A. in English, but I knew that it was more for the personal accomplishment than for employment purposes. I hate to tell you this, but you are going to have to get some kind of job skills. Whether it's bookkeeping/accounting clerk, paralegal, etc. A liberal arts degree really doesn't prepare you for a specific job. None of your concentrations (history, political science, and geography) will be good for much of anything unless you decide to get a master's degree & want to teach at a community college. Another alternative might be to look into programs some schools are offering that will help you get into teaching with additional classes if you already hold a bachelor's degree. I know, it's depressing, but even people with solid job skills are having a tough time right now. I hate to say it, but you're really not qualified for much with just a liberal arts degree. Another thing to try might be volunteering somewhere--a museum, etc. and see about getting your foot in the door that way. I wish you the best of luck. It's VERY rough right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Peter in Ballwin, Missouri

48 months ago

I know how you feel. I have an Interdisciplinary Degree I got in 2008 after many years of school. School was hard for me to get through. I had many majors and I just wanted to finish. I got this degree and I have not had any job at all in the 2 years since i graduated. I want a job in technology, and that was one of my majors. At the moment I am doing an web design certificate program hopefully this will help. I also am really good at fixing computers, and other tech related things. My problem is no one will give me a chance. I would be very valuable to someone if just given an opportunity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

recentgrad88 in York, Pennsylvania

48 months ago

Peter in Ballwin, Missouri said: I know how you feel. I have an Interdisciplinary Degree I got in 2008 after many years of school. School was hard for me to get through. I had many majors and I just wanted to finish. I got this degree and I have not had any job at all in the 2 years since i graduated. I want a job in technology, and that was one of my majors. At the moment I am doing an web design certificate program hopefully this will help. I also am really good at fixing computers, and other tech related things. My problem is no one will give me a chance. I would be very valuable to someone if just given an opportunity.

What if you tried looking for a help desk or tech support job? I always see a lot of them advertised on craigslist and in other classifieds and they pay pretty well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

BOBBY BUTTS in Dallas, Texas

38 months ago

i realize this is a few months old but whatevers. Im in the same boat. I just emailed the community college i went to and they said my credits don't expire. So i should be able to use them on a assoicates degree plan.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.