Bachelors degree in Biology, what can you do with it?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 689)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

JaneWay in Elk Grove, Illinois

62 months ago

I feel like like such an idiot right now. I have a BS in Biology. After I graduated, I followed a totally different path.
I know a friend of mine has a friend who also got her BS in biology and works in some company shaving pigs and working with animals, she feels like her BS in Bio was not needed.
I mean what job can I get now, right away with a bio degree? I don't have experience in research or some direct bio field. I wanted something that would be a good career path with potential to grow.
Now, I'm trying to finish an MLT program. I should have tried entering an MT program at least, but I chose the MLT program for various reasons, despite the good advice I got here on these forums. Everywhere I search, they want MTs not MLTs. I'm going to be an oddball, an MLT with a BS in Biology.
I feel like I screwed up and it's just getting worse and that most of my decisions just get worse because of desperation. I feel like schools are just there to take money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (448) / No (188) Reply - Report abuse

Lynn in Melbourne, Florida

62 months ago

www.ascp.org/FunctionalNavigation/certification/GetCertified/TechnologistCertification.aspx

According to this, you can sit for MT after one year of lab experience. Please check with your state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (101) / No (87) Reply - Report abuse

Janeway in Chicago, Illinois

62 months ago

Lynn in Melbourne, Florida said: www.ascp.org/FunctionalNavigation/certification/GetCertified/TechnologistCertification.aspx

According to this, you can sit for MT after one year of lab experience. Please check with your state.

Yeah, it's not the MLT itself, it's just that I felt that a BS in Biology could have provided other oppotunities, but I just feel like it went nowhere. But a lot of it is my fault, probably all of it. I blame schools because I felt like sometimes the people who are suppose to guide you (like academic couselours) don't know anything about the field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (213) / No (69) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Biology is such a large field. People in my class ended up in all kinds of industry (environmental, medical laboratories, pharmaceutical, universities lab, chemical companies, clinical research). But most go for graduate schools to get more specialized education.
I worked for a CRO after finishing college but the pay is not that great. But once you get experience, you can go to pharmaceutical companies that pay more. Three technicians in my group got a job at Abbott after they did a year or two at a CRO. If you can relocate, check out these big CROs (Covance, Charles River). For entry level they will train you in one of the field - toxicology (small animal, large animal, acute, reproductive, etc), clinical chemistry,necropsy,etc..
I am not a couselor, just sharing my experience. Hopefully, others will do the same. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (241) / No (80) Reply - Report abuse

sab818 in Grenada, Mississippi

62 months ago

I feel your pain honey. I got a B.S. in Biological Sciences in 2003 and graduated with a year of laboratory experience in an environmental laboratory. I worked with analytical instruments and all that good stuff and still couldn't find anything to do. I didn't want to work in an environmental lab. I wanted to work in a pharmaceutical/clinical/toxicology setting and was screwed. I was angry at the advisors as well becausee I kept saying I really wanted to work with pharmacology/pharmaceutics and all they were concerned with was my class schedule and making sure I graduated. No career advice what so ever! Not even advice on what to do when I am done with undergrad-what to do next? I feel like my degree is worthless because I've had it for five years and worked in two academic labs post-bacc making crumbs....not enough for cookies all to end up in a post-bacc MT clinical program. What makes me even more pissed is my university had a MT program and I was told that getting a B.S. in Biology or Chemistry would be sufficient to work in a hospital lab. It is one "route" you could go I was told. Not that this was completely wrong, it's just that my advisor should have added the fact that I needed to do a post-bacc clinical hospital based program. I feel like years have been wasted and some avenues shouldn't have been walked. The flip side is that I did get the opportunity to work in pharmacology research and publish a paper! Ultimately I want to be a clinical pharmacist so I can teach, consult, educate and write clinical pharmacology inserts for drug info pamphlets. I wanted to do it in stair steps- medical laboratory, reasearch, then PharmD-simply because I'm a lab rat and I love the drugs:). So many people from my school returned for either a nursing degree or MT degree. One of my classmates did go the route you are going-go to CC MLT program post grad and got a job in TX with Abbott as an MT II.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (149) / No (45) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Lynn in Melbourne, Florida said: Biology is such a large field. People in my class ended up in all kinds of industry (environmental, medical laboratories, pharmaceutical, universities lab, chemical companies, clinical research). But most go for graduate schools to get more specialized education.
I worked for a CRO after finishing college but the pay is not that great. But once you get experience, you can go to pharmaceutical companies that pay more. Three technicians in my group got a job at Abbott after they did a year or two at a CRO. If you can relocate, check out these big CROs (Covance, Charles River). For entry level they will train you in one of the field - toxicology (small animal, large animal, acute, reproductive, etc), clinical chemistry,necropsy,etc..
I am not a couselor, just sharing my experience. Hopefully, others will do the same. Good luck!

what do you do at the CRO? are you a CRA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

It was a preclinical CRO. I worked as a research associate for toxicology services, and then a regulatory report writer. I moved around because of my husband's job so now I have to look for another job and looking into clinical research.

I saw Walt Disney has numerous animal program internship openings right now. If I am a newly graduate, that is definitely a place I would like to work. I doubt they will hire me now!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Oh Ok..Good luck with your search. I've had people to contact me because somehow they got my resume from the internet or something stating they were CRO or recruiters for CRO. I believe it was scam because everytime I tried to return their calls or respond to an email, I get a generic voicemail message.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (33) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

CRO in this case stand for a contract research organization. If you are serious about working for a CRO, I think the fastest way is to apply directly at their websites. Here is something I copied from Wikipedia. As you can see, there are lots of oppertunities within the industry.

-----A Contract Research Organization (CRO) is a service organization that provides support to the pharmaceutical/biotech industry. CROs offer clients a wide range of "outsourced" pharmaceutical research services to aid in the drug and medical device research & development process.[1] In the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), the U.S. Food and Drug Administration regulations state that a CRO is "a person [i.e., a legal person, which may be a corporation] that assumes, as an independent contractor with the sponsor, one or more of the obligations of a sponsor, e.g., design of a protocol, selection or monitoring of investigations, evaluation of reports, and preparation of materials to be submitted to the Food and Drug Administration." [21 CFR 312.3(b)]

Services offered by CROs include: product development, formulation and manufacturing; clinical trial management (preclinical through phase IV); clinical, medical and safety monitoring; preclinical, toxicology, and clinical laboratory services for processing trial samples; data management, biostatistics and medical writing services for preparation of an FDA New Drug Application (NDA), Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA), or Biologics License Application (BLA); regulatory affairs support; and many other complementary services. CROs range from large, international full service organizations to small, niche specialty groups and can offer their clients the experience of moving a new drug or device from its conception to FDA marketing approval without the drug sponsor having to maintain a staff for these services.[2]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Lynn in Melbourne, Florida said: CRO in this case stand for a contract research organization. If you are serious about working for a CRO, I think the fastest way is to apply directly at their websites. Here is something I copied from Wikipedia. As you can see, there are lots of oppertunities within the industry.

-----A Contract Research Organization (CRO) is a service organization that provides support to the pharmaceutical/biotech industry. CROs offer clients a wide range of "outsourced" pharmaceutical research services to aid in the drug and medical device research & development process.[1] In the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), the U.S. Food and Drug Administration regulations state that a CRO is "a person [i.e., a legal person, which may be a corporation] that assumes, as an independent contractor with the sponsor, one or more of the obligations of a sponsor, e.g., design of a protocol, selection or monitoring of investigations, evaluation of reports, and preparation of materials to be submitted to the Food and Drug Administration." [21 CFR 312.3(b)]

Services offered by CROs include: product development, formulation and manufacturing; clinical trial management (preclinical through phase IV); clinical, medical and safety monitoring; preclinical, toxicology, and clinical laboratory services for processing trial samples; data management, biostatistics and medical writing services for preparation of an FDA New Drug Application (NDA), Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA), or Biologics License Application (BLA); regulatory affairs support; and many other complementary services. CROs range from large, international full service organizations to small, niche specialty groups and can offer their clients the experience of moving a new drug or device from its conception to FDA marketing approval without the drug sponsor having to maintain a staff for these services.[2]

Yea the CRO I'm referring to claimed to be 'contract research organization'

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

sab818 in Mississippi

59 months ago

AWWWW...sorry to hear that sharon; however, I feel your frustration. I've been there. As a result, I'm starting MT clinicals at a hospital based program in August and I'm paying out of pocket. I have gone back for a year myself post-bacc trying to 'find my way' so to speak b/c bio wasn't as good to me as I had expected it to be. I had jobs in the academia realm but unfortunately these jobs weren't paying all the bills but were taking up the bulk of my time. I was tired of the cat mouse, marco polo games. I knew that I loved the lab in a clinical aspect and partially research and I loved drugs (pharmacology). As a result, I'm taking online pharmacology classes this summer in a grad level program to test the waters. If all goes well then I'll get my masters in pharmacology.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Leslie in Chicago, Illinois

59 months ago

Lynn in Melbourne, Florida said: Biology is such a large field. People in my class ended up in all kinds of industry (environmental, medical laboratories, pharmaceutical, universities lab, chemical companies, clinical research). But most go for graduate schools to get more specialized education.

What position did you hold for your entry level a the CRO?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

maronica in Houston, Texas

58 months ago

sab818 in Mississippi said: AWWWW...sorry to hear that sharon; however, I feel your frustration. I've been there. As a result, I'm starting MT clinicals at a hospital based program in August and I'm paying out of pocket. I have gone back for a year myself post-bacc trying to 'find my way' so to speak b/c bio wasn't as good to me as I had expected it to be. I had jobs in the academia realm but unfortunately these jobs weren't paying all the bills but were taking up the bulk of my time. I was tired of the cat mouse, marco polo games. I knew that I loved the lab in a clinical aspect and partially research and I loved drugs (pharmacology). As a result, I'm taking online pharmacology classes this summer in a grad level program to test the waters. If all goes well then I'll get my masters in pharmacology.

Hi
what school or program are you taking to get you masters in pharmacology online

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

sab818 in Mississippi

58 months ago

Michigan State University. I just finished taking a Human pharmacology exam...it was a BEAST:). I'm taking that class and drug and tissue interactions this summer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Leslie in Chicago, Illinois said: What position did you hold for your entry level a the CRO?

Research Associate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

DanaJ in Grand Prairie, Texas

58 months ago

Sharon Ruth in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: I got my degree in Oklahoma and I have had a couple companies tell me that they will not hire anyone with a degree from an Oklahoma school. I know they can't do that, they can't say this, but they did and so here I am.

Really? That's just odd and arbitrary. Did they tell you why?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

RMiss in Augusta, Georgia

57 months ago

These posts make me feel less alone. I graduated 2005 with a four year B.S in Biology and it has been difficult to find a direction for a job search. I was really lucky right out of school to get involved with an Environmental Engineering Firm monitoring air quality for a state contract. But, 2 years in the contract did not get renewed (loss of federal funding) and I made the bad choice of not signing on with GA DNR when they offered me a job.

Now, I am teaching high school biology, but I really want to get back into the environmental field. If anybody has any advice I would REALLY Appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

AnaBio in Chicago, Illinois

56 months ago

wow!! i am really shocked with all of these comments, i thought getting BS in biology my doors will be open to anything, i guess i thought wrong :( i do want to pursue DPT (doctor of physical therapy) program here in chicago, or any school that will take me, this is just an idea for you guys out there it's a 33 month program and you are set, but i understand you have to work while in school and that got me thinking of what i will be doing when out of school with bs in bio

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

cmunce in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

54 months ago

JaneWay in Elk Grove, Illinois said: I feel like like such an idiot right now. I have a BS in Biology. After I graduated, I followed a totally different path.
I know a friend of mine has a friend who also got her BS in biology and works in some company shaving pigs and working with animals, she feels like her BS in Bio was not needed.
I mean what job can I get now, right away with a bio degree? I don't have experience in research or some direct bio field. I wanted something that would be a good career path with potential to grow.
Now, I'm trying to finish an MLT program. I should have tried entering an MT program at least, but I chose the MLT program for various reasons, despite the good advice I got here on these forums. Everywhere I search, they want MTs not MLTs. I'm going to be an oddball, an MLT with a BS in Biology.
I feel like I screwed up and it's just getting worse and that most of my decisions just get worse because of desperation. I feel like schools are just there to take money.

Carol OKC,Oklahpma, I feel the same way I've worked with animals all my life, but every place I applied for wanted a B.S. degree so I went back to college. Now I have a Bachelor degree in Biology but there are no jobs, not with out experience in a specific field. I started out as a nursing student but thought that the biology would open more doors, now I wasted 9 years of my life. I feel that college was just a joke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

DaysEnd in York, Pennsylvania

54 months ago

RMiss in Augusta, Georgia said: I was really lucky right out of school to get involved with an Environmental Engineering Firm monitoring air quality for a state contract. But, 2 years in the contract did not get renewed (loss of federal funding) and I made the bad choice of not signing on with GA DNR when they offered me a job.

I am in the same position. Not many jobs available around where I live either. I graduated in 2007 with a B.S. in Biology.

RMiss from Georgia...it seems like you are after the same type of job I am. My interests have always been in the environmental field. My favorite courses in college were the environmental type ones, and I have a long history of doing environmental related things (but NO formal job experience). My undergrad stressed research (in fact, to graduate with a B.S. in Biology from my school, everyone had to complete a successful senior thesis...I know that this is not required at all schools). I poured in A LOT of effort into my thesis (dealt with environmental microbiology) and received honors for it. I had no time to do an internship (seeming like a big mistake now, but I didn't really have a choice). Did you have any previous job experience when you were hired by the Environmental Engineering firm? I have applied to several different engineering firms in my area and have not heard anything back from them yet (been about 3 months). These were all entry level env. scientist positions that I qualified for, but I noticed that many of them do not list Biology as one of the preferred majors (usually geology, env. science, env. engineering, or "related field"). Do the firms even want bio majors? Why did you choose not to accept the GA DNR position? I would really appreciate any advice you can give on this subject!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

eren 090 in Alexandria, Virginia

53 months ago

i plan to have bachelor degree in biology in according to become a dentist.would bachelor degree in bio have any oportunuties until i get my graduate diploma.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

so irritated in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

52 months ago

I am also fixing to have a bachelor's in biology and am so worried now that I will be able to do NOTHING with it!! The advisor I have couldn't even offer me any job options! Im like isn't that what your paid to do??!! I swear they have been no help whatsoever!!! I was hoping to do some kind of lab work as well and that is showing more and more to not be an option with this degree. I also wouldn't mind working with animals, but with no one to turn to for advice, I'm not really sure if that could be an option for me either. I'm really worried that all my hard work and money spent will be for nothing. And knowing that all of you are in the same boat makes my future look even more hopeless. I try going on-line and looking for information since my advisors are of no help and still find myself getting nowhere. If anyone has any good advice for someone in my position I would love to hear it!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

bioman

52 months ago

wel i guess u guys mite as wel just work at macdonalds. it's great to hear that ur counselor was such a big help at my college there's only one counselor now due to all the budget cuts, and she's to busy with an overload of paperwork that she only has time for one appt a day. im 113 on the waitlist and hope to see her in 2018. wel my advice for u pansies is to stop visiting depressing forums like this and look for a job even if it's voluteer work or go bak to skool. i had a 3.8 gpa with a degree in biology and now im my 3rd year of medical skool. yes definately the medical feild is a sure bet for u guys. or look for a job within ur local county, geared twoards environmental regulation. k hopefully one day everybody in this forum can meet up and have a big party once everybody finds a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (323) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Ledgewood, New Jersey

51 months ago

B.S. = bullsh*t lol. BA isn't necessarily better though either obviously. I have a BA in Anthropology, which I at first was told would still have plenty of opportunities in since it is related to "everything", and wasn't clearly told until the end of my schooling that MORE schooling would really only be my best option, which I am really hating the idea of (along with being lied to). Really no immediate jobs available here either, except for zombie-esque type work involving data entry or some other sort of completely non-fulfilling type of work. I'm going for an environmental license now though, you only need a bachelors (in anything) and at least 32 credits of science courses to complete the program (Rutgers in New Jersey). It's an REHS license (registered environmental health & safety) for environmental health sort of things (health inspection, public health, diseases, etc). So maybe that might be an interesting option for some of you too. That's what I'm going into now, seems like a decent option with a decent amount of job opportunities attached to it. Those jobs have a lot of freedom too which is always nice, and the pay is pretty damn good as well, depending on who you end up working for. I'm into wildlife and animals too, but I don't know how I would be able to connect any of what I have to a serious job related to that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

LWCC in Pasadena, California

51 months ago

I have a degree in B.s Biology major in Human Biology. International Education Research Foundation (IERF) already evaluated my transcript of record because I earned my degree outside United States. I am trying to sit for the Medical Technologist exam, but I need 1 year work lab experience. My question is, what kind of job I can take for me to have the work experience required for the MT exam? Majority of the employer requires license and certification. In my case, since I have a degree in Biology what kind of work I can find that is related to it, that doesn't require any certification and license?

Please help me. I'm really stressed out. I feel that my degree in Human Biology is useless because I've been searching for weeks now, but still I can't find any job specifically in hospital laboratoies that doesn't require any certification and license.

I'm here in L.A, if you have any place like hospital I can go to apply for a job please let me know. or at least give me a specific keyword of type of work I can have right now since I only have my degree

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Bella in Burlington, Wisconsin

51 months ago

I am about to graduate from University of WI - Madison with a BS in Biology. I am young, married, and I want to have kids while I am still young. I switched my major to education for a year, but switched back, and luckily with summer classes I am still graduating in four years.. the only thing is that now I have a whole bunch of ed psych and education classes and almost 100 hours of volunteer time in an after school program - not in a lab or a hospital - and I spent my summers in O Chem lab, working, and taking classes to catch up - so I also had no internship. I have been constantly searching for entry level jobs or paid graduate programs/internships. - I dont have a stellar gpa or much to beef up my resume. I would like to keep going to school, but I have so many student loans already, and I want a family.

Wondering if anyone has any advice for a career where I can use my degree, and work with children - and be a mom..?
If I cant find anything my last option is airforce OTS, if I can even get accepted.

I know I am young, but I worked really hard for four years and feel like I could make more money waitressing then actually using my degree...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Beddia in Baltimore, Maryland

51 months ago

I got my Biology degree in 2007. I knew a doctor who tried to hook me up with a research fellowship when I graduated and he couldn't even pull that off for me. I don't even want a job as a lab tech where all I will be doing is PCRs and killing little mice in a lab for a couple of years barely being able to pay rent, but it sure is better than nothing. Unfortunately I haven't even been able to land a lab technician job (even though I have experience through internships).

Now I am applying to nursing schools, and its harder than ever to get into nursing school nowadays (my safety school rejected 20-30 4.0 gpa applicants). So Im not even sure I will be able to get in.

I am 26 now, getting older, I haven't been able to start a career, and I work in some cafe where I serve condescending rich people, who assume that I am 19 since I work as a cashier with a bunch of high school kids. If I knew this was going to happen, I would have never been a Biology major, or I would have just picked something random to continue my studies with right away instead of wasting five years of my life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (63) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Bio Major in Norristown, Pennsylvania

51 months ago

Hello, I had a 2.8 GPA in Biology Major, basic slacker, with some minimal lab experience. The big thing I've noticed is that people graduate and expect a job in their town. This is a global marketplace. There are pockets of pharma areas and other biotech sectors. I basically searched GLOBALLY and found a position in Virgina for 2 years followed by 2 years in a Hong Kong bio tech firm. I've now returned to the US and have TONS of offers and opportunities.

Those who expect a job down the street, will get what people get when they date down the street.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (214) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon Ruth in Fairview, Oklahoma

51 months ago

I feel the sam way as Janeway. I have a BS degree in Biology w/ a minor in Chemistry and I can not find any work with it. My advisor had said that I would have plenty of opportunites for work. I found out that this person was so full of it. My GPA is 3.08, and I though that was good but apparently people are frowning at someone with a 3.0. It sucks because I was so proud of it. I had applied in Maine and Florida for Biological jobs and they both told me that they will not hire someone with a degree from Oklahoma. Sorry I am saying all of this but I feel like I have been screwed, because now I owe alot of student loan money. I am now 38 and have basically given up and decided to become a Paralegal because I have a friend who graduates Law school in May. I just wish I could have had a career in my degree field it was something I wanted since I was at least 10 years old.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

LOL Oops forgot I had already posted. Sorry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

New in Groves, Texas

51 months ago

Sharon,how old are you?What year did you graduate?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

I am now 38 and graduated in 1999.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

New in Groves, Texas

51 months ago

Sharon,may I have your email address to ask you a few questions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

It is kitru22@sbcglobal.net, and thank you for your time. Any help is greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Average in Everett, Massachusetts

51 months ago

Can't any of you go into Bioengineering? Bioinformatics is probably very lurcrative if you are good at mathematics.

I was never a science major but it has always seemed to me that biology never had any real use to the real world unless it was applied through the filters of things valued by the real word. The real world wants a tangible object that can make money (bioengineering) and the software to control it (bioinformatics).

Medical school is an option if your grades were very good.

I think a graduate degree is needed or another four year degree. Don't forget to apply for many internships and set up a promotional website etc. etc. Here's a rule of thumb, if you're getting more than 5 hours a sleep every day you are seriously doing something wrong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (51) Reply - Report abuse

Average in Everett, Massachusetts

51 months ago

I guess you could afford to be a "slacker,"Bio Major in Norristown, Pennsylvania".
You were financially prepared. There was no metion of debt on your part so I can assume you graduated debt free. No mention of a scholarship, so I can assume it was paid out of pocket by you and yours.

Being prepared financially to relocate at the drop of a hat seperates the "serious people" from the "flakes", I guess.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Long Beach, California

50 months ago

I recently graduated from Cal. State University of Long Beach with a BS in molecular and cell biology and a minor in chemistry. I have a few years of laboratory work experience and have been looking for a full time job for about 3 1/2 months now with no luck at all. I apply to about 3 jobs every day Mon-Fri, I have been told my Cv is fairly strong as well as my cover letter. I do not have any interest in medical school nor do I have good enough grades to get into a PhD program...I worked part time throughout my college career and had a very rough semesters with deaths in the family. I am trying not to get discouraged with my job search as I strongly believe someone out there will give me a chance. Unfortunately after about 40 job applications to various lab positions and calls back I have had ZERO live interviews or even over the phone conversations with employers willing to speak with me. I owe some tuition money and my parents expect me to be able to support myself by the time summer comes....I'm not really sure what to do. It was my goal ever since a close family member of mine was diagnosed with bone cancer to pursue a career in biological sciences and to do anything to help others dealing with disease, even if it means that I play the smallest role. I'm not willing to give up this dream just yet. Any advice that anyone here can give me would be greatly appreciated. Am I doing something wrong?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Homerh in Long Beach, California

50 months ago

Alex, have you been applying for a position in the industry or as a technician in the academia (research labs) or both?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Torrance, California

50 months ago

@Homerh I have been applying to both academia and industry labs. I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong, is it all about who you know that will score you a chance at an interview? Any advice is greatly appreciated. A little extra info: I have applied through Quest diagnostics, VA hospitals (usajobs.gov), UCI campus/medical center, labcorp, UCLA, Howard hughes med institute, Amgen, St. Jude, City of Hope, Allergan, among others....I am also very qualified and sometimes over qualified for the positions I apply to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Someone in Houston, Texas

50 months ago

If there are not many jobs for people with a BS in Biology, then why not become a biology teacher? I would think it is better than having to work at McDonalds.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Homerh in Long Beach, California

50 months ago

It is very tough to find any job in the LA area. Unemployment is 17% and going up. Have you apply to places out of state and plan to relocate?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Buffalo, New York

50 months ago

I graduated with a BS in biology and BS in business in 2006. I could not find any jobs other than call centers once I got out. After 2 years of dealing with the no experience, we won't hire you line, I decided to go to graduate school. My biology advisor was pretty upfront throughout college, making it clear I would need a masters or higher in Biology to get a job in that field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Frank in Washington, District of Columbia

50 months ago

Peace Corps is also an excellent way to pursue your plans for graduate school. Masters International and Fellows/USA programs enable Volunteers to use their Peace Corps service and experience to earn credits and financial benefits toward a graduate degree.

Peace Corps’ Masters International program allows graduate students to begin their studies on campus in over 50 universities in 120 graduate degrees, subsequently earn academic credit while serving abroad as a Peace Corps Volunteer, then return to their graduate school to finish studies. This enables graduate school students to serve internationally and gain real-world global experience related to their discipline while earning credit toward their degree.

Another opportunity is pursue graduate school after you get back from Peace Corps. Returned Volunteers who have satisfactorily completed service have lifetime eligibility for the Peace Corps Fellows/USA Program through which they can receive financial benefits at over 50 universities in 140+ different graduate or doctorate degrees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

socho in Portland, Oregon

50 months ago

To sab818. Can you tell me a little more about this Pharm. program at MSU?

Do they require an entrance exam? I've taken the MCAT and have a decent score so I'm just wondering if they'll accept that in place of say, the GRE?

How many courses per semester do you take, is it possible to complete everything within 2 years?

It'd be nice to know all of this from a current student.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

sab818 in Mississippi

50 months ago

Socho, No no exam is required. You could possibly do it in 2.5 to 3 yrs but if you are working I wouldn't recommend it. Some of the courses are alot of work and studying on top of weekly assignments due. Some courses are laid back and easy going. I've only taken three classes thus far and taking two this summer. I love the program. Glad that I'm in it. Go the www.msu.edu website and look at Integrative Pharmacology professional Science Masters. They've also just launched another Pharmacology online program that's not hybrid, just pure sciences.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jbmakena in San Francisco, California

50 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

sab818 in Mississippi

50 months ago

You are welcome. They say it's competitive but I'd apply anyway. It's a growing field especially within the pharma industry. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Frank in Washington, District of Columbia

50 months ago

Your degree in Biology would qualify you for a number of paid, volunteer assignments in the Peace Corps. You would need to be willing to serve for two years at an overseas post, but you would also have all expenses paid, get a monthly stipend, loan deferral and some loan forgiveness, a $6000 bonus upon completion of service and help securing employment or a graduate school degree after you get back. Check it out... www.peacecorps.gov

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lwcc in Quezon, Philippines

50 months ago

One of the requirements to join peace corps is u need to be a U.S citizen? I'm planning to join but I'm only a Permanent Resident =(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Same here in Leawood, Kansas

49 months ago

I'm in the same boat with all of you guys, but I'm much older. I graduated many years ago with a BS in Biology. I was lucky and landed a pretty good job right away. However, a Grandfather clause has come out (that I missed by one year) so I am now getting laid off and cannot get another job that pays even half of what I was making . . . with just my experience in a profession I can no longer do and a BS in Biology that means nothing I'm screwed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.