Bachelors degree in Biology, what can you do with it?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (501 to 550 of 690)
Page:  « First « Previous   8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next »   Last »

WVDrifter in San Francisco, California

55 months ago

Great degree but a hard road ahead if your looking for the American Dream.
my story:
1991 B.S. Biology USC-coastal Carolina - recession, war, no jobs, 80 resumes out there.
1992 - shoveling coal in WV 6.25/HR coal analyst. ripped muscle in neckt
1992 washing dishes in back of steakhouse 3mo Shallotte,NC
1992 Rhone Polenc RTP,NC fungicides and pesticides - became sensitized and had to quit job. 10/hr
1993 water plant operator Brunswick Co, NC 1wk of school. all coworkers had severed time in jail for something. 2yrs on job 7.25/hr
1995 moved to Burlington,NC compact disc manufacturing 10/hr
apartment rent $250/ mo ( get the picture?)
saved enough money in 1yr to go back to schoo, moved to wknd shift.
Should I read more big thick books about little tiny molecules or
do I want to learn a skill and have a job when I graduate and no more college debt at $800/semester.
1996 I picked nuclear medicine technology Forsyth Tech Winston-Salem,NC 2yrs A.A.S. degree. school 5days a week, work Fri,Sat,Sun 32hrs

Graduated 1998 - only one job locally- part-time. I took it and kept old job. both pay 13/hr.
I decided to go back to school for 6mo and learn Magnetic Resonance Imaging. I dropped both jobs and got a 2nd shift job in DNA lab. LabCorp evening shift. school 5days/wk, work 5days/wk for 6mo. graduated 2001.
got registered in Nuclear Medicine 2001
signed up with allied health travel company
more.................... sorry

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

sent to Charlottesville,VA to work for one year before traveling.
picked up more experience in Charlotte,NC Nashville,TN and Kitty Hawk NC. now im ready to travel the USA.
First job Mississippi 33/hr, 600/mo car allowance, 30/day meals tax free, 50/mo cell phone, housing and utilities all paid. trip to and from job paid.
I made over 86K in 1yr.

Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

more jobs in Port Huron,MI 2006, Boston,MA 2007
08 market crashed - was hired perm in Boston.
10 market slowing - job cut to PT. back to travel 2012
now in beach condo Aptos,CA watching whales play from the deck.

I have had over 40 employers in my life and moved about 40 times chasing the American dream.
All I wanted was a small home on a farm in WV, not after money.
I think something is wrong with life. I now have a job but I can't return home because there are no jobs where I want to live.
I don't really want to go back to school but Im almost to old to start a family.
I never know where or when or how long the next job will last.
It kind of makes it hard to meet or settle down.
If you find a job that makes you happy or someone that makes you happy don't overlook it.
don't beat yourself up, the economy is bad, automation put lots of people out of work,
be glad that you got to learn about how the world you live in works. I am still glad that I majored in biology.
find your treasures in your friends and family.
good luck to all of you!
I may have to call Dr Phil and ask him how to put the brakes on my life. LOL!

Reply - Report abuse

Sasha in Vancouver, British Columbia

55 months ago

m in Edmonton, Alberta said: I was also going to say, and I know this won't apply to 99% of you, but if you are willing to make a move, there is a lot of environmental work in Western Canada. Just due to the oil & gas alone, you'll find a ton of companies and yes, a lot are hiring entry level . I had 5 job offers in one month, and had another company call me 2 weeks ago with a job and no, I didn't have a ton of experience. I actually spent years doing admin work overseas so there you go! And non-Canadian residents are hired - my workplace is like a mini UN!

I have no idea what the US is like for enviro work, though I would assume there should be quite a bit out East with all the industry. Hang in there, I know how grim things can seem, but dammit, you're biology grads which means you're resourceful as hell!! :D

Hey, I'm interested in doing this sort of work. Would you mind if I contacted you to get some tips on how to break into this? My degree is from 1999. Do you think that is too long ago?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Find a radiologic technologist program.
you will need a two year degree in X-Ray or Nuclear Medicine in order to get into MRI. Stay away from the programs that are not ARRT.
You don't need a B.S. in biology but it will be helpful in understanding the science. Community colleges will be happy to have you enroll.
you must pass certain health tests, get vaccines and background checks. Its not easy but its very interesting and the best thing I ever did to pull myself up out of the mud.

two year tech degrees pay more than a B.S. degree and you actually know how to do something when you graduate and are ready to go to work. You have to like people and want to help them. don't go into healthcare just for the money. This just causes the quality of healthcare to decline and that is noticed in some places I have worked.
The first question I asked myself when I graduated with my biology degree was " what is it that I can actually do?" I could not answer that question.

radiology hit its peak a few years back. nuclear medicine techs are now having trouble finding jobs. Cat Scan and Ultrasound seem to be doing the best. MRI has slowed a little but the baby boomers are retiring so future is still bright for now but lots of people are going back to school.

If I had it to do again I would do electrical or mechanical engineering.

Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

54 months ago

What can you do with a biology degree? Teach Republican congressmen how babies are made.

Reply - Report abuse

Peppercafe in Sacramento, California

54 months ago

On a related note how would you do a country wide or world wide job search for biology jobs with a BS or MS? I'm near the Bay area but not finding anything that matches my experience, interests and/or education level.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Nicholas in Astoria, New York

53 months ago

So has anyone been successful in finding a job in field biology with, say, one summer of an internship and no research experience?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Fall '10 bio grad in San Diego, California

53 months ago

The fact that this thread has been inactive for a couple weeks now made me wonder if all those previous posters got jobs by now (including Jane), lol. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for myself. I read all the pages of this thread a couple of weeks ago, and the useful information I came across were both insightful and/or depressing.

I feel disillusioned with biology at this point but would like to salvage it somehow. My friend is trying to connect me to a part-time job with an airline contractor (not related to biology at all). It is a split-shift though, so at least I would have that time window in the middle to take some community college classes and essentially "try again." I've been looking into the physical therapist assistant program. I know it may seem like taking a step backwards (since post-baccalaureate PT programs do exist), but I'm trying to be realistic here and don't want to accrue a pile of debt. I'm also looking at the MLT program at another community college but the waiting list seems backed up to Fall 2013 (can I last that long?)

@ "Blaze" in San Diego, thanks for your earlier advice and I've been meaning to email you sooner, but I never got around to it. Either way, not much has changed for my situation (sad to say). I still have that REHS Environmental Trainee license and I wonder if that will eventually expire (most likely will). It seems like getting a County or City position is ultra difficult right now, even though I was a student worker for the County before. The police is "perpetually" hiring though...

Anyways, I'm still talking with that Navy recruiter and the wait process (it's been over a year now) is very frustrating. Still trying to go to MEPS! I reached my target weight a couple months back, but it's hard to maintain it with the depression and de-motivation caused by the long wait...

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

struggling in Brooklyn, New York

53 months ago

I am still looking for a job. my gpa is not that good 3.06. I have no laboratory experience outside laboratory classes. I have my good B.S in biology with a focus on molecular biology. Im wondering does anyone got any ideas how I can volunteer to get experience in biology.

Reply - Report abuse

fatiha2012 in New Haven, Connecticut

53 months ago

I HAVE 3 YEARS OF GOLLEGE IN ANIMAL BIOLOGY FROM ONE BIG UNIVERSITY OF MOROCCO .NOW AND I M WORKING AS CASHIER AT DUNKIN DONUTS MAKING 8.25/HOUR WITH NO BENIFITS, NO INSURANCE. IT S REALLY A BIG SHAME.

Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

if you have a bs in biology , think of going back to school for these careers, clinical laboratory science, physicians assistant, nursing

Reply - Report abuse

Dagie in Starkville, Mississippi

53 months ago

I have biological sciences master degree, can I apply for physician assistant?

Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Dagie in Starkville, Mississippi said: I have biological sciences master degree, can I apply for physician assistant?

if you have took the prerequisites for the program yes you can become a pa ,

here is a list of accredited schools to check out

Reply - Report abuse

Dagie in Starkville, Mississippi

53 months ago

struggling in Brooklyn, New York said: if you have took the prerequisites for the program yes you can become a pa ,

here is a list of accredited schools to check out

I checked the list at several program website, most courses I took in other country might not be approved...Thank you anyway...

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Does anyone have any advice as to when to start looking and applying for field biology jobs if I'll be graduating in Spring 2013? Thanks.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

bob in Brooklyn, New York

52 months ago

make sure you have experience nicholas volunteer in your school lab gaining expereince performing molecular techniques needed for the jobs your interested in , build them up so you can list them on your resume.

Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

bob in Brooklyn, New York said: make sure you have experience nicholas volunteer in your school lab gaining expereince performing molecular techniques needed for the jobs your interested in , build them up so you can list them on your resume.

I have an internship currently, and held a full time one over the summer. I'm not interested in molecular techniques, hence why I said field biology jobs. Also, I'm doing research for a course once a week, and I'm learning molecular stuff there since it's Evolutionary Genetics.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

bob in Brooklyn, New York

52 months ago

oh ok I misunderstood

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

unemployed in Old Bridge, New Jersey

52 months ago

I am in a similar situation, I graduated as a biology major but I am applying to Tech jobs because that is only open - now in EACH interview I am asked

Why are you interested in technology based jobs with your biology degree...

does anyone have any good suggestions - that are HONEST and yet sincere ???

Reply - Report abuse

Riot in Ware, Massachusetts

52 months ago

Nicholas in Astoria, New York said: Does anyone have any advice as to when to start looking and applying for field biology jobs if I'll be graduating in Spring 2013? Thanks.

I don't know about bio jobs in particular, but you should probably start applying for jobs now. The only reason I wouldn't start applying right away is if you think your performance this semester will greatly improve your chances of getting hired.

Anecdotal evidence of why you should apply now: A senior that I TA with already applied for and won a temporary position at a biotech company for Summer 2012. His girlfriend, who is graduating this spring as well in a different field, is already applying to and getting interviews for jobs when she graduates.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

(Just so I don't get my good post deleted, I wanted to note for "guest" in San Francisco that my acquaintance who interviewed for and received the biotech company is in fact a white, American male.)

Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

*biotech company position.

Reply - Report abuse

selin dagdeviren in malatya, Turkey

51 months ago

Lynn in Melbourne, Florida said: Biology is such a large field. People in my class ended up in all kinds of industry ( environmental , medical laboratories, pharmaceutical, universities lab , chemical companies, clinical research ). But most go for graduate schools to get more specialized education .
I worked for a CRO after finishing college but the pay is not that great. But once you get experience, you can go to pharmaceutical companies that pay more. Three technicians in my group got a job at Abbott after they did a year or two at a CRO. If you can relocate, check out these big CROs (Covance, Charles River). For entry level they will train you in one of the field - toxicology (small animal , large animal, acute, reproductive, etc), clinical chemistry ,necropsy,etc..
I am not a couselor, just sharing my experience. Hopefully, others will do the same. Good luck!

hello Lynn i would like to ask u something. i m studying biological sciences this is my last year i would like to my mastering degree in medicine school but i cant find any information about tht. do u think its possible to mastering degree in medical schools n become doctor? i cant find much information i live in Turkey. thank you
regards

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

is it possible to complete biological sciences n do mastering degreee in medical school n become doctor?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

selin dagdeviren in malatya, Turkey said: is it possible to complete biological sciences n do mastering degreee in medical school n become doctor?

I believe that some countries offer Bachelor's or Master's degrees in Medicine, but I'm not sure what the typical route to becoming a doctor is in Turkey. In the United States, the typical route to becoming a doctor is to first complete a Bachelor's Degree (doesn't have to be in Biology, but you need to take a certain set of prerequisite courses including Anatomy and Physiology, Physics, Organic Chemistry, etc.), take the MCAT (Medical College Admission Test), and then apply to medical schools. Medical schools offer a professional degree, Doctor of Medicine, or combined MD/PhD degrees. (In the US, we also have DO, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine.) Following medical school, doctors complete a residency for further training in a specialty. I also believe that doctors from certain other countries can qualify for a residency in the US and be able to practice here upon its completion, but I'm unsure of the details of this procedure.

If you're not passionate about the science, I think you're taking a good route to ensure employment with a degree in Biology. We'll always need doctors. (Just make sure you're passionate about medicine, so you don't get burned out.)

Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Riot in Ware, Massachusetts said: I believe that some countries offer Bachelor's or Master's degrees in Medicine, but I'm not sure what the typical route to becoming a doctor is in Turkey. In the United States, the typical route to becoming a doctor is to first complete a Bachelor's Degree (doesn't have to be in Biology, but you need to take a certain set of prerequisite courses including Anatomy and Physiology, Physics, Organic Chemistry, etc.), take the MCAT (Medical College Admission Test), and then apply to medical schools. Medical schools offer a professional degree, Doctor of Medicine, or combined MD/PhD degrees. (In the US, we also have DO, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine.) Following medical school, doctors complete a residency for further training in a specialty. I also believe that doctors from certain other countries can qualify for a residency in the US and be able to practice here upon its completion, but I'm unsure of the details of this procedure.

If you're not passionate about the science, I think you're taking a good route to ensure employment with a degree in Biology. We'll always need doctors. (Just make sure you're passionate about medicine, so you don't get burned out.)

Thank you alot for ur quick respond. i would like to ask you this . im not a US citizen. so this conditions are same even for me? coz the principles might be different to be doctor. also what i would like to ask is when im graduated . if i want to do my master degree in Human anatomy or physiology ( or any different major in medicine) is this possible?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

I think your best bet would be to seek out advising at your current college/university. Some faculty member or staff member at your college/university is sure to know what your options are for Master's degrees and/or becoming a doctor, either in your country or abroad. I don't know how common it is for someone from Turkey to come to the US and become a doctor, but I do know several people from Turkey that are here for science. (I met someone from Turkey at a biotech company and also there is a student in my PhD program from Turkey as well.)

Good Luck.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Rasema in Tampa, Florida

50 months ago

I really do not like that you encourag eothers to attend further schooling Master's degree and yet they did not get a job with a Bachelor's. That's a waste of money. No on eon this planet will hir eyou only with a degree. You have to do intership, and pass a certain test for which you study before. Even with Associate degrees you can get a job. So going to further schooling is awaste of money if you do not have a job after your associates degree. You're just giving money and not getting any.

Degrees ar enothing, expereince is. Then look WHERE you can get a job. You got laboratories and other hospitals that would hire you and maybe even companies. But definitely laboratories. Every country mus thave alaboratory in almost all corners. So, now you need to get in touch with alaboratory, Quest Diagnostics, Lab Corp, amongst others and call to do intership. Also you have to contact other places, search

Reply - Report abuse

HopefulGuy in New Jersey

50 months ago

Wait, so Krista, were you living in the United States before?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Krista in Perth, Australia

50 months ago

yeah, sorry should have specified. I was born and raised in Florida and went to school there too.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

HopefulGuy in New Jersey

50 months ago

Krista in Perth, Australia said: yeah, sorry should have specified. I was born and raised in Florida and went to school there too.

Wow, that is awesome Krista! I'm a 29 yr old guy and I too have a degree in Biological Sciences, a B.A., actually and have worked for about 3 companies now. I just got fired from my last job as a grossing technician in the histology department of a laboratory. So that was tough to deal with, right before Christmas too.
From my experience the biotechnology jobs in manufacturing and other areas were the best, when considering work/pay ratios, i mean the work itself in manufacturing biotech products was not too physically demanding since they were cleanroom jobs, considering the pay you got. I am now looking for a job and going back to school has been giving glancing apperances in my mind for a few fleeting moments, but ideally i'd like to be able to find a job without going back to school again.
How did you end up in AUS btw ? In my opinion, that's a beautiful country, one that hasn't been ruined by the dedgradation of no-class hip hop/ rap cultures, crime-ridden cultures and stupidity in general and i hope it stays that way.

Reply - Report abuse

chiroptera45 in Doylestown, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

Ashley in Waynesboro, Pennsylvania said: This is a little sad. I'm a conservation biology student about to graduate this coming Spring. I don't know what schools you all went to, but my career development advisor has been super helpful. However, the advisor isn't responsible for getting you a job. I go to a private women's college in Pennsylvania and I'll graduate with a B.A. in Conservation Biology and Ecology. If you're persistent, any door can open for you. I already have a job lined up in my field out of college. I think the biggest thing is..... not being trapped. I looked in all directions, in different countries, in different continents. I'll be working on an Elephant Reserve in Botswana, South Africa a year after I graduate.

Did any of you guys do an internship or any type of professional volunteer work? I've been to South Africa on internship and I'm going to South America in Summer 2011 on internship. I think having the extra field experience and research experience is what got me the job I wanted.

Keep your head up and keep trying. School isn't going to fix everything. You need to get out in the field or lab and sometimes that costs money.

I hate to burst your biobubble and I wish you the best but I have been Director of a wildlife sanctuary (practically volunteer work) volunteered at 3 AZA zoos for lengthy amounts of time, did an Americorps term as nature educator doing live animal presentations, volunteered at another nature center, worked as a receptionist for another and currently am listed as a wildlife rehabilitator. I moved to Pa from Ks in late Oct. for opportunity. I work at a convenience store. I applied for jobs at every place I volunteered if available, was well liked and did an awesome job. There are no jobs for people who want to play outside or take care of animals. I wish I could sell my BS in biology on ebay and just go to vet tech school. I don't now have the $ for additional school.

Reply - Report abuse

tswagga in Manassas, Virginia

50 months ago

The thing about a biology degree is that if you don't feel like getting a masters or a phd in that field then you can probably still get one in several other fields of study. Biology is a very broad subject that covers courses in math, science, philosophy etc. so I am sure you can use that to your advantage when applying to any grad schools later down the road. Right now I want to go back and get a degree in industrial design because of the art + science aspect of it and I love drawing, Johns Hopkins even has a medical illustration masters! But I am also applying to several science fields like anatomy and even planetary science/physics just to see what I can get into....A biology degree should just be a stepping stone for grad school, but not necessarily in ONLY the biological sciences...You can go to law school, business school, art school, med school or whatever your passion is. Don't think of a science degree as a waste of time, but a window of opportunity.

Reply - Report abuse

njbiodude in New Jersey

50 months ago

tswagga in Manassas, Virginia said: The thing about a biology degree is that if you don't feel like getting a masters or a phd in that field then you can probably still get one in several other fields of study. Biology is a very broad subject that covers courses in math, science, philosophy etc. so I am sure you can use that to your advantage when applying to any grad schools later down the road. Right now I want to go back and get a degree in industrial design because of the art + science aspect of it and I love drawing, Johns Hopkins even has a medical illustration masters! But I am also applying to several science fields like anatomy and even planetary science/physics just to see what I can get into....A biology degree should just be a stepping stone for grad school, but not necessarily in ONLY the biological sciences

But the loan debt will stay with you for life if you can't get a real job to pay back your loans. As was said prior, Biology may get you a good job eventually with extra graduate degrees, but don't you think a more directly employable degree would be better for most people? If you want to work in environmental science major in civil engineering, get some experience and go for an msc in environmental engineering. Companies don't need hippies to tell them how you're destroying the environment, they need people with real skills to build things that fit within environmental regulations. If you like microbiology try medical laboratory science, if you like biochemistry do an accelerated pharmacy (6 yr) program. These days many good applicants are getting rejected from med/dental school and if you don't have the ability to get a job to support yourself during the next application cycle you're screwed. Also most biology PhDs will lead you to the postdoc treadmill. Think applied science (i.e. engineering) over pure science if you want a real job.

Reply - Report abuse

Daniel in Colorado Springs, Colorado

49 months ago

So I have PCR, QPCR, Extraction, purification, electogelphorisis, western blotting, Tm analysis and a bunch of other Biochem skills that I pumped up my EBIO degree with. I just want to know if that is something the rest of you have? I can do most of DNA cloning. Up to the liagase addition.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Daniel in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: So I have PCR, QPCR, Extraction, purification, electogelphorisis, western blotting, Tm analysis and a bunch of other Biochem skills that I pumped up my EBIO degree with. I just want to know if that is something the rest of you have? I can do most of DNA cloning. Up to the liagase addition.

When I finished undergrad, I was would probably have listed my skills as: PCR, Primer Design, DNA and RNA Extraction, Gel Electrophoresis, Fungal Cell Culture and DNA Cloning. I had also been exposed to (in addition to some not as relevant chemistry techniques): HPLC, Western Blot, and ELISA. I did an internship in industry immediately following undergrad, where I gained skills in Next Generation Sequencing Library Preparation, Mammalian Cell Culture, and basic Bioinformatic Analysis.

Note that if your experience with these techniques isn't in a research or internship setting, it probably won't help you with a job (but should be of use in finding an internship).

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

UCbio in San Francisco, California

48 months ago

Hi all, let me introduce myself-
I Graduated with a BA in Biology at Berkeley over 25 years ago. My brother needed some help in his restaurant soon after I graduated and here I am 25 years later, a successful restauranteur. But for ALL 25 years I have really missed Biology. I've been reading a lot, keeping up with medical breakthroughs, and helping friends with research for fun. I just feel my life wouldn't be complete without committing the last 20 or so years to the field. The big problem is I don't know which path or field. Almost all graduate programs require experience, not to mention letters of rec, etc, etc. I assume I'll have to repeat all my Science courses, adding another two or so years onto my 50 years of age, and then graduate school to boot. Should I start volunteering in a clinic? I don't really know who to talk to.

Reply - Report abuse

Fall '10 bio grad in San Diego, California

48 months ago

I decided to forsake my bio degree...I'm "starting over" at community college right now in an EMT program. I don't know if I'm jaded or disillusioned at this point, but at 25 years old I'm desperate to start working and live my life. Good luck everyone, and I wish you all the best in whatever you do.

Reply - Report abuse

me2 in Elizabeth, New Jersey

47 months ago

Hi Guys, I graduated with BA Biology and have no industrial experience to work.. I cant even find any entry level job. Can you advice me if there is any certification program i can do? I graduated and applied for so many jobs in 5 months, all i got negative reaply back but alot of industrial company dont want to take me since i dnt have any experience..how can i get experience until anyone hires me? I am so stressed and can't find any job.. Is there any way i can do any certification program or anything else???

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

47 months ago

me2 in Elizabeth, New Jersey said: Hi Guys, I graduated with BA Biology and have no industrial experience to work.. I cant even find any entry level job. Can you advice me if there is any certification program i can do? I graduated and applied for so many jobs in 5 months, all i got negative reaply back but alot of industrial company dont want to take me since i dnt have any experience..how can i get experience until anyone hires me? I am so stressed and can't find any job.. Is there any way i can do any certification program or anything else???

Clinical Laboratory Science (ClS) Certificate. Its either that or the french fry machine.

Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Clinical Laboratory Science (ClS) Certificate. Its either that or the french fry machine.

Do you think Clinical Lab program will help me to find job?? I also think Biology was wasting of time/money..I dont know if its economy or my resume, i cant find job at all not even entry level.

Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Nguyen84 in Ocean Springs, Mississippi said: Wow, I'm not sure how I fell on this forum, but I am so glad there are so many people out there that are in the same boat as me. I feel EXACTLY the same as you sab818!! i had no direction or advice at all. i felt like i was in school just to be in school. i really do want to find work in my field but pretty much all the jobs ive applied to require experience. employers dont want to give you a chance.

Hi, i am in same boat i recently graduated with Biology, last 5 months i had been applying for jobs, but all i get negative responses. Noone want to hire me because i dont have experience how can i have experiences until they dnt hire me..its very stressful to find a decent job in biology.

Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Nathalie in Chicago, Illinois said: hheelppp meee

Hey.. I graduated with Biology degree, i cant find any job at all i heard that you applied in hong kong, other countried..i am willing to do that..can you please tell me a good websites or companies to aapply for job outside of US.Thanks i will appreciate your help..

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Tamara in Birmingham, Alabama

47 months ago

There is always hope for all of us, but it's good to face reality. In the U.S., biology (and some other sciences) are really dying. I tell people to study a health profession after they get their undergrad degrees now. There are *some* jobs, but not nearly enough for the demand. Even with a master's or PhD, it's difficult to become gainfully employed.

Take a look at this Washington Post article online: "U.S. pushes for more scientists, but the jobs aren’t there." (The site won't let me hyperlink it.)

Reply - Report abuse

Tamara in Birmingham, Alabama

47 months ago

me2 in Elizabeth, New Jersey said: Do you think Clinical Lab program will help me to find job?? I also think Biology was wasting of time/money..I dont know if its economy or my resume, i cant find job at all not even entry level.

It's probably just the fact that the field lacks enough jobs. I'm doing a master's in biology right now, but I'm staring over with a master's in clinical lab sciences in August. I just feel like pursuing rote biology isn't worth it anymore for me. Nothing is guaranteed, but your chances of landing a job are better with a CLS/medical technology degree, even if it's just an associates degree.

Reply - Report abuse

wall-street take over in Ridgewood, New York

47 months ago

Hi I don't understand can't you get a teaching job, & teach basic Biology with ure BS degree at the highschool level or middle school level? I know this is an old post U posted some 49 months ago, so I am sure u have moved on from this point. I don't know ,but I do know this I have a friend who teaches on the highschool level with a bio degree.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Tamara in Gardendale, Alabama

47 months ago

A lot of non-private schools require a teaching certification. I would have had to do more years of undergrad or get master's to try to teach.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

biotechadvisor in Rancho Cucamonga, California

47 months ago

me2 in Elizabeth, New Jersey said: Hi Guys, I graduated with BA Biology and have no industrial experience to work.. I cant even find any entry level job. Can you advice me if there is any certification program i can do? I graduated and applied for so many jobs in 5 months, all i got negative reaply back but alot of industrial company dont want to take me since i dnt have any experience..how can i get experience until anyone hires me? I am so stressed and can't find any job.. Is there any way i can do any certification program or anything else???

If you want to work in a laboratory setting, have you tried a temp agency that places lab workers into pharma and biotech companies?

Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Hi, Yea I applied in agency n different pharmacy companies. But no luck so far..Agency dnt have enough entry level job..they all need people with experience. So its hard for me to get anywhere ..its slow everywhere..:-(

Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.