Bachelors degree in Biology, what can you do with it?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 718)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Leperkhan in Riverside, California

57 months ago

kimberly morgan in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: With such a high Gpa i would def look into medical school before i looked into getting a good paying job. Jobs really could careless about your GPA plus now a days as im finding out college students are competing with people who have been laid off and already expierenced. Your best bet is to really look into med school.

Actually, that has been the plan. If I'm able, I wish to get my MD Phd. However, I really want to get some great quality experience working as a biologist. Thus, my biology degree won't go to waste. My wish is that by working as a biologist it'll give me an advantage over other medschool students who transfer to medschool right from their major. I've been talking to my profesors, and they say a new biology major can work in many places. However, it'll all be entry level work. My friend, profesor, and advisor told me that biotechnology is a good field with plenty of room for growth as a biologists, and he even told me he has some friends who own companies that he could talk to about my career. Anyways, to those who are worried about finding work and who are still in college finishing their major, I would suggest talking to your profesors, most of them have been in the field for decades, and they know the ropes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kimberly morgan in Colorado Springs, Colorado

57 months ago

Have to agree...you seem kind of stupid being that your in med school yeat you chose to be on a sight where others are looking for ideas to do with there biology degrees? I doubt you claims or you wouldn't be on here. Go play! Well theres always one. I encourage everyone to stay encourgaged. You will find something and don't believe that your degree means nothing. Im sure you all busted your ass for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

trey in Rome, Georgia

57 months ago

I know how you guys feel. I graduated in 2008 and I have been looking for a job for 2 yrs with no success. My professors said that with my gpa and lab experience, I could get any entry bio/biotech position. Man are they wrong. I feel depress thinking my BS in Biotech is worthless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kiwi in Charlotte, North Carolina

57 months ago

Well i am a high school senior and im off to college but the college i am going to doesn't have a major of premed so i think im going to major in biology and make my way up to medical school! Is this the right path? Because i don't want it to be a waist of time!!!!!!! Please help!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

trey in Rome, Georgia

57 months ago

kiwi in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Well i am a high school senior and im off to college but the college i am going to doesn't have a major of premed so i think im going to major in biology and make my way up to medical school! Is this the right path? Because i don't want it to be a waist of time!!!!!!! Please help!!!!!!!!

You can do that way if you choose. But first, check out the medical school of your interest and see what are their prerequisites (it is never to early to plan.) As an undergraduate, make sure to take classes that will help you in med school (i.e. immunology, histology, medical genetics, etc.) Also, try to shadow a doctor if possible, b/c that is the best way to learn the ropes. Volunteer and diversify your academic portfolio. If I left anything out, I hope my peers on this website can kind-heartedly advise you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Eventual Biologist in Long Beach, California

57 months ago

Hey you guys! Don't get too discouraged. Right now the economy is NOT great... It's not that there's not jobs in biology related fields; There's not jobs ANYWHERE. I recently got laid off from my last two jobs due to the decline in the economy and have applied to a bank and was told I was overqualified. I've seen posts for jobs where they expect a person to a have a 4-year degree with the starting pay at minimum wage. I read things like that and I'm like, "What the fuuuuu?!" Hopefully the economy will get better soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Eventual Biologist in Long Beach, California

57 months ago

Alex in Long Beach, California said: I recently graduated from Cal. State University of Long Beach with a BS in molecular and cell biology and a minor in chemistry. I have a few years of laboratory work experience and have been looking for a full time job for about 3 1/2 months now with no luck at all. I apply to about 3 jobs every day Mon-Fri, I have been told my Cv is fairly strong as well as my cover letter. I do not have any interest in medical school nor do I have good enough grades to get into a PhD program...I worked part time throughout my college career and had a very rough semesters with deaths in the family. I am trying not to get discouraged with my job search as I strongly believe someone out there will give me a chance. Unfortunately after about 40 job applications to various lab positions and calls back I have had ZERO live interviews or even over the phone conversations with employers willing to speak with me. I owe some tuition money and my parents expect me to be able to support myself by the time summer comes....I'm not really sure what to do. It was my goal ever since a close family member of mine was diagnosed with bone cancer to pursue a career in biological sciences and to do anything to help others dealing with disease, even if it means that I play the smallest role. I'm not willing to give up this dream just yet. Any advice that anyone here can give me would be greatly appreciated. Am I doing something wrong?

You are LUCKY you were able to graduate from CSULB... they aren't even taking new applicants this semester and declared every single major impacted. People that are trying to get in (like me) are screwed. Don't give up...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Bellflower, California

57 months ago

Eventual Biologist in Long Beach, California said: You are LUCKY you were able to graduate from CSULB... they aren't even taking new applicants this semester and declared every single major impacted. People that are trying to get in (like me) are screwed. Don't give up...

Actually since when I first posted on here until now I've had 3 interviews in the past 3 weeks. No offers yet...but it's definitely a start. I know they started furloughs my last semester (Fall 09) and stopped accepting new students for Spring. Good luck getting in and when/if you do you can always post on here for help/suggestions for selecting which professors to take. take it from me...some of them are much less than enthusiastic when it comes to being a teacher. Many of the younger professors I had which were the ebst professors have since lost their jobs due to budget cuts :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gary in Whittier, California

57 months ago

Im currently in my 3rd year of my undergrad and i'm beginning to panic! I have always wanted to go to med school and become a doctor but Im just not getting the grades I need. I go to whittier ( a small private college) and many classes are extremely difficult. I dont know what career path to take if I cannot get into a medschool. I have great people skills but love marine/micro biology and the lab. What do i doooo?!!!!!???...please help any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kiwi in Charlotte, North Carolina

56 months ago

trey in Rome, Georgia said: You can do that way if you choose. But first, check out the medical school of your interest and see what are their prerequisites (it is never to early to plan.) As an undergraduate, make sure to take classes that will help you in med school (i.e. immunology, histology, medical genetics, etc.) Also, try to shadow a doctor if possible, b/c that is the best way to learn the ropes. Volunteer and diversify your academic portfolio. If I left anything out, I hope my peers on this website can kind-heartedly advise you.

Thank you very much! I just want to make sure when this is all over and done it was worth it. Now I have to look up some good Medical schools, once again thank you!!!!!!!1

Prime Mover in Winchester, California

56 months ago

Hello all,

Very interesting thread. My story: I was recnetly laid off from my retail managerial job that I got sucked into 8 years ago. I had been taking pre-reqs to get into nursing school (I worked as a paramedic for about years in my 20s - oh and my going to school probably made me an easy target for dismissal), but its so impacted, its unreal. I decided that now is the time to go back to school and get my degree. With my background in sciences (medicine) and food (from my retail job) I figured I'd work towards a job in public health, possibly as a health inspector. Seems like I should be shooting for a specific job when I go to school in the fall (it requires a BS in a science field - I will be going into Cal State San Marcos as a junior). If all else fails, I could see myself teaching.

Right now I am trying to decide what to declare: Biology (general), Biochem (not excited about the 2 semesters of calculus) or Biotech. I want to give myself the most amount of options, if my pursuit of public health doesn't pan out. I figure Biotech is a more sought after degree, with a lot of biotech industry on the San Diego coast, and some companies in the Inland Empire (Abbott, Millipore). But that is just my uneducated guess.
Im easily two years away from graduating and feel I will have some opportunities at interships if I work hard to acquire them.

Any advice??

shaun in Seattle, Washington

56 months ago

If you have a degree in bio why not become an RN. I know it is more school but you would have your whole bio series done. It pays well and they are screaming for RNs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Whitley in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

56 months ago

JaneWay in Elk Grove, Illinois said: I feel like like such an idiot right now. I have a BS in Biology. After I graduated, I followed a totally different path.
I know a friend of mine has a friend who also got her BS in biology and works in some company shaving pigs and working with animals, she feels like her BS in Bio was not needed.
I mean what job can I get now, right away with a bio degree? I don't have experience in research or some direct bio field. I wanted something that would be a good career path with potential to grow.
Now, I'm trying to finish an MLT program. I should have tried entering an MT program at least, but I chose the MLT program for various reasons, despite the good advice I got here on these forums. Everywhere I search, they want MTs not MLTs. I'm going to be an oddball, an MLT with a BS in Biology.
I feel like I screwed up and it's just getting worse and that most of my decisions just get worse because of desperation. I feel like schools are just there to take money.

Don't feel like an odd ball. You can go back to school for an additional year for mortuary sciences programs range around 13-14K. You can get into a physicians assistant additional year. cardio or intraveneous sonography and the pay ranges depending upon which state you decide to reside in least amount you'd make might be 50K. I have a BS in Biology and felt the same way you did 20 years ago, but there are other avenues. Pharmaceutical companies love to pick up recent graduates and the money is good especially for new grads 40k to start and you are picking up transferable skills. Try the state civil service in your state they offer forensic trainee positions & others best to test while the info learned is fresh in your head. State jobs don't pay a lot to start, but benefits are great and you can move up and end up with a pension (rare). clinical research assoc. jobs.you can do a lot with that degree just don't give up. MLT safe and smart move

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Whitley in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

56 months ago

trey in Rome, Georgia said: I know how you guys feel. I graduated in 2008 and I have been looking for a job for 2 yrs with no success. My professors said that with my gpa and lab experience, I could get any entry bio/biotech position. Man are they wrong. I feel depress thinking my BS in Biotech is worthless.

If you have a decent rapport with some of your professors see if they have any contacts in outside of your local area just to get the experience you need to get your foot in the door. Many of us have to take detours to get to our destination. Don't feel depressed just press on and explore your other options. It is easier to get on with a good company if you try to voluteer at a university lab or hospital just to put on your resume you have certain experience... try networking via your chamber of commerce rub shoulders with people in various fields to see how you can get where you want...Entry level is a start not the end and many of us end up doing things opposite our degree with the changing technology. I did work in social services before I landed a job in science and technology...so fear not things work out in there own time.

Alex in Torrance, California

56 months ago

Yeaaah!!! There is hope out there...after 4 months of searching and 3 interviews I finally received a job offer. It is for a lab postition at a genetics lab not too far from my house. They have also offered me a year of training so that I can take the state exam to be license as a clinical cytogeneticist....Don't lose hope, just keep trying

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

trey in Rome, Georgia

56 months ago

Alex in Torrance, California said: Yeaaah!!! There is hope out there...after 4 months of searching and 3 interviews I finally received a job offer. It is for a lab postition at a genetics lab not too far from my house. They have also offered me a year of training so that I can take the state exam to be license as a clinical cytogeneticist....Don't lose hope, just keep trying

good job!!! I am happy for you. Were you trained in cytogenetics as an undergraduate?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

trey in Rome, Georgia

56 months ago

Whitley in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: If you have a decent rapport with some of your professors see if they have any contacts in outside of your local area just to get the experience you need to get your foot in the door. Many of us have to take detours to get to our destination. Don't feel depressed just press on and explore your other options. It is easier to get on with a good company if you try to voluteer at a university lab or hospital just to put on your resume you have certain experience... try networking via your chamber of commerce rub shoulders with people in various fields to see how you can get where you want...Entry level is a start not the end and many of us end up doing things opposite our degree with the changing technology. I did work in social services before I landed a job in science and technology...so fear not things work out in there own time.

I get along with my Profs, and I talk to them once in a while, but I don't know them very well. I apply as a volunteer at a big university here in ATL, but no reply. I might put an application again with other organizations after spring semester.

bk in Irvine, California

56 months ago

Hey Alex, what company did you apply to? I am also interested in getting into a training program. Do they pay well? I have my BS in bio and have been looking for almost 1 yr.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Undecided in Telford, Pennsylvania

56 months ago

I'm about to decide where I'm going to college, but from this thread and teachers have given me mixed feelings. I first planned on going into environmental biology, but based on the college I may attend and the advice I've gotten, I've been told to get a general biology degree. I have an interest in environmental science as well as toxicology, so I was thinking of minoring in environmental resource management. Is this a smart idea? Finding a job after college is very important to me and I'd like to hear some advice from experienced biology majors with what they think is best. Thanks!

Meg in Dallas, Texas

56 months ago

I am planning on Majoring in Biology because where I have looked it seems you can go a lot of different ways with a degree in Biology. But most people are telling me to just go onto medical school also. My main plan was getting my A.S. in Biology > B.S. in Biology > Masters in Forensic Science. But until I get my Masters I'm freaking out about what job I can get making good money in the mean time. I'm not sure what I should do. Stick with that, or go onto medical school for Forensic Pathology, or a Medical Examiner. Ugh so much schooling no matter which way I choose. I don't know what to do!

I can't believe all of your counselors were so un-helpful. I am planning on just calling the main person of the Biology Dept. at the University and ask their advice. I hope they will be more helpful!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

182 in Dallas, Texas

56 months ago

Lake swimmer in Brick, New Jersey said: Everyone here is not understanding that one should only get a B.S. in Biology and/or chemistry to go on to medical school and be some sort of doctor. or pursue a graduate degree and do research. of course you cant do anything with a bachelors in bio. these days you cant do much with a bachelors in general. mostly all the above average paying jobs requires ATLEAST a master degree.

so go back to school.

,,,,, With a masters in biology you could also for instance teach Community college Biology classes( I hear they don't pay badly either, everybody who wants to be in healthcare must study biology at some point)........ or get into the Pharmaceutical field as a Regulatory Profesional(it pays well and gives you access to both laboratory work and FDA issues)..If you are math savvy you could alternatively get into Biostatistics(though a Phd is more desirable than an MSc) and still work in or with laboratory personel in Pharma industry.

Sharon in Alexandria, Virginia

56 months ago

I'm glad to find this advices. I'm graduating Assoceite Sceince degree from Community College. I planned to study Bachelor Sceince in Biology. Is it really hard to find better paid job??? That's caak, Maybe I should change my idea that to study BS in Biology. I will change my mind. Maybe, I can study pre-dentistry or pharmacy bachelor degree. Actually, I want to be dentistry. If I become dentist, what kind of steps should I go???? Do you have any knowelegde about it??/ Please share with me or give me advice???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Steph in Skokie, Illinois

56 months ago

Wow oh wow.. .I'm so glad I'm not alone. I did 5 years at a very good university. I finished with a BS in Bio and a minor in Applied Psych.. My advisor and even bio teachers assured us our bio degree would open up all kinds of doors for us.. what they didn't tell us was that we'd have to swim across a raging river to get to that door!! I feel like my bio degree is a good foundation for my future but hasn't done much for me in the 4 years since I graduated. I spent months applying to all types of bio/science/lab related jobs and was constantly told the same thing: I needed more experience/certification. I finally landed a job as a secretary in the psych department of a hospital.. woo-hoo!! and was constantly reminded how overqualified I was for that position.. I moved around the hospital for a couple years.. I'm still in an admin position now (in a bigger dept that pays MUCH better) and I'm using my employers tuition reimbursement to pay for nursing school. Had I known how worthless my bio degree was going to be, I would've majored in Nursing 9 years ago. I just wish i hadn't been lied to. I could've been more prepared to further my education and had a better plan for my future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Biokid in San Jose, California

56 months ago

I got a bio degree back in 2007 and was able to work 2 years in the biotech field. I worked as a technician doing really simple lab testing and then went on to work at another place doing the same along with writing quality related reports and logistics with testing projects.
$24hr for these two positions.
Been unemployed for 1 year, have had multiple interviews, but its very competitive! Currently thinking about becoming a plumber, electrician or maintenance worker for public water utility systems because I have experience with and enjoy working with tools and projects.

FYI: Heres a small summary of jobs available

Biotech: Manufacturing tech, environmental sampler, Raw materials tester, Quality Assurance person, Customer complaints analysis for failed products, Sales, Research associate

Issues: Hard to get hired at a BIG company doing this without knowing somebody or having experience. They tend to hire folks that have nice credentials if you dont have experience. I got hired for a temp project using an inside friend and then immediately was promoted to a lab department.

Hospitals: lab assistant, pharmacy technician, respiratory therapist, MRI tech, CLS, pharmacist
Theres certifications and standards for all positions. Basically your degree doesnt mean much other than make you competitive to get into training programs. CLS has been the most popular job, especially in CA or other states with standards becuase the pay is high, but schools have very limited spots so its tuff to get in. Pharmacy schools are also packed with tons of students trying to get in, but you have to have a good GPA and good test score to get in.

Those are the two immediate areas where you can find a job. Apply for jobs that require less education or less experience if you want a better shot at getting hired. Theres other industries and niche fields.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Elith in North Hollywood, California

56 months ago

Biokid in San Jose, California said: I got a bio degree back in 2007 and was able to work 2 years in the biotech field. I worked as a technician doing really simple lab testing and then went on to work at another place doing the same along with writing quality related reports and logistics with testing projects.
$24hr for these two positions.
Been unemployed for 1 year, have had multiple interviews, but its very competitive! Currently thinking about becoming a plumber, electrician or maintenance worker for public water utility systems because I have experience with and enjoy working with tools and projects.

FYI: Heres a small summary of jobs available

Biotech: Manufacturing tech, environmental sampler, Raw materials tester, Quality Assurance person, Customer complaints analysis for failed products, Sales, Research associate

Issues: Hard to get hired at a BIG company doing this without knowing somebody or having experience. They tend to hire folks that have nice credentials if you dont have experience. I got hired for a temp project using an inside friend and then immediately was promoted to a lab department.

Hospitals: lab assistant, pharmacy technician, respiratory therapist, MRI tech, CLS, pharmacist
Theres certifications and standards for all positions. Basically your degree doesnt mean much other than make you competitive to get into training programs. CLS has been the most popular job, especially in CA or other states with standards becuase the pay is high, but schools have very limited spots so its tuff to get in. Pharmacy schools are also packed with tons of students trying to get in, but you have to have a good GPA and good test score to get in.

Those are the two immediate areas where you can find a job. Apply for jobs that require less education or less experience if you want a better shot at getting hired. Theres other industries and niche fields.

CLS

Tuff in San Jose, California

56 months ago

Elith in North Hollywood, California said: CLS

Huh?
Its listed already!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mad_scientist in La Jolla, California

56 months ago

Gary in Whittier, California said: Im currently in my 3rd year of my undergrad and i'm beginning to panic! I have always wanted to go to med school and become a doctor but Im just not getting the grades I need. I go to whittier ( a small private college) and many classes are extremely difficult. I dont know what career path to take if I cannot get into a medschool. I have great people skills but love marine/micro biology and the lab. What do i doooo?!!!!!???...please help any suggestions?

If you like marine biology, try getting a graduate degree and look into Scripps Institute in SD- they have a really good marine biology program and famous professors. Which is def. helpful to have when you are looking for jobs.

haydep in Dearborn, Michigan

56 months ago

I'm in a bit of a jam. I graduated in 2002 with a degree in Speech Communication. Went back a year later for my masters but decided to major in something else, Speech-patholgy. I completed the required post-bachelors progam in one year then applied to the grad program. Simple right? Only on major problem, I wasn't accepted. I re-applied and still no luck. I applied to another school and same senario. I'm feeling extremely frustrated and don't know what to do. I want to be a Speech-pathologist because I love this field. I need that opportunity but it's like no one is willing to give me a chance. Switch career choices maybe? I would still be extremely dissapointed that I couldn't achieve a simple goal. Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Angellee in Tampa, Florida

56 months ago

shaun in Seattle, Washington said: If you have a degree in bio why not become an RN. I know it is more school but you would have your whole bio series done. It pays well and they are screaming for RNs.

Actually, the nursing field isn't strong anymore either. New graduates with BSN's are having a terrible time finding work in the nursing field because most places are requiring at least one year of experience. If you can't get a job, you can't get experience.

Cindy in Huntsville, Alabama

56 months ago

I sometimes get depressed thinking about not being able to find a job working in my field. I have a B.S.in biology and a M.S. in Physiology. You would think having a masters would qualify you for countless job ops but it doesn't. I currently work in a job where I trouble shoot networking issues and I hate it but I am apply to get back into school so I can do something I love which is working in the healthcare arena. I got into a chiropractic program but i have also apply for some post bac programs with med and pharmacy school. I think part of the problem is that many of us don't know where to look when it comes to applying for positions that may benefit from a science background. The honest truth about the situation is that a degree in biology is not suppose to be our gateway to an exciting career but a stepping stone to a professional degree. Here is my advice to anyone who is currently a bio major or thinking about being a bio major. Its ok if you know for sure that you are seriously applying to medical school, dental school, or even pharmacy school. If you are not sure about your next step after college major/minor in something with transferable credits likes Biology education, food and animal science, nutrition, or even minor in math or physics so that you have more options when it comes to getting a job that may not be closely related to biology. My suggestions would be to look at other professional programs that you could use your science background to excel in. Examples: Physical Theraphy, Occupational Therapy, Pharmacy, Dental, Physicians Assistant, Registered Nursing, Bioengineering, Chiropractor, Healthcare Management,Education, and Public Health just to name a few. Our options are endless but they all require going back to school to achieve them. It sucks but it is what it is. We just have to believe that our degrees are worth the work that we put in to get them. Do not settle my fellow biology degree holders!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Oakland, California

56 months ago

Biospace.com has a lot of biology related resources, they also hold job fairs across the country. For most of the people living in the interior of the country its unfortunate, but most Biotech/Pharma jobs (and there are very few right now) seem to be on the coasts specifically in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Washington D.C. Good luck, I hope this helps.

Biggest Mistake in Woodbridge, Virginia

55 months ago

Don't EVER Major in BiOLOGY..

It will be your biggest mistake EVER!

I am suffering from this mistake every single day .. DONT DO IT!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

erinjane in Cleveland, Ohio

55 months ago

I'm in the same boat as everyone else here!

Maybe we should all become college advisors in Biology Departments!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

entomology major in Boca Raton, Florida

55 months ago

hey i have a bachelors in biology and education.

not sure if to go to graduate school for environmental education or entomology at UF.

got into both programs.

if i chose entomology, are there careers out there for it?

just like people with the BS degree, idont want to py a lot of money for a degree thas worthless!

i know there are jobs for it in USDA, CDC, FDA< department of agriculture.

if i get my environmental education degree ill just be advancing myself as a teacher but i dont even have my full time teacher job yet. just graduated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

T in Boston, Massachusetts

55 months ago

I didn't read this entire thread but I find it interesting that the consensus is that bio is a useless degree. There are a LOT of academic research labs out there (every major university and large hospital has lots of them) and they do need and hire "research assistants," or whatever term the individual institution applies to it. It's usually not super great pay like a biotech company would pay but it's lab work in the field. There are also industry labs (biotech) but that's a long shot, they are very picky about their needs and less likely to hire someone with little experience and just a BS. There are certain lab skills that are in higher demand in the academic labs ... molecular stuff, tissue culture etc. If your undergrad coursework focused on ecology or botany or something then you might be kind of screwed. But I have seen ads for research jobs that require zero experience too.

Rob in Williamsburg, Virginia

55 months ago

"I didn't read this entire thread but..."

Not to be an ass, but yes we realize we should be looking for entry level lab-monkey work. Unfortunately, since the downturn in 2008 and subsequent reduction in research grants due to endangered state budgets, there are fewer tech positions that are OPEN and will be FUNDED. Not to mention we are competing with researchers with masters or years of more experience that will work for less because of the difficult market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Well whatever, obviously many academic jobs are grant-funded and may be short term (1-4 yrs) but in my observations, they're THERE. It just struck me as strange to say you have to go into a totally different direction. A lot of those kinds of jobs are good jobs, they are not tedious, they involve real research, and presumably if one went into the life sciences field to begin with that's the kind of thing you want to do?

I have a masters and it's not that much of an advantage in a lot of cases, nor do a lot of people in life sciences have it, hardly any, so no you're not really competing against people with a masters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sam Kaiserblade in Venice, Florida

55 months ago

Biology is just a "gateway" degree for the most part. You use it to prepare you for med school or allied health careers or whatever. I knew when I majored in it that I would need to go for further education. The universities should do a better job of educating students about that fact. The counselors at my old institution were worthless. The university I went to kept saying that the degree prepared you to work in industry upon graduation and it cited some inflated salaries estimates. I knew not to believe them. No way entry level jobs paid what they claimed.

Medical lab jobs are the best bet for a lot of you. It isnt too much more education and the pay is decent. It sucks that they keep closing more and more clinical lab science schools. They are forecasting big demand in the future but there is a lot of automation and competing technologies coming that will offset some of the demand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

I don't know that it's a gateway degree. I should stop commenting on this, but I'll just say I've worked in academic research environments for 10 years, different kinds of labs, different states, and there are plenty of people with BS degrees who are integral parts of the lab, get listed as authors on research papers, and all that. The PhD path is not the only valid thing to do in the science world. I guess some people get bio/biochem/chem degrees but don't like research labs, and then you're kind of stuck.

ti in Las Piñas, Philippines

55 months ago

i am about to graduate this school year taking up bs biology major in human biology, when i read this discussion, now iam afraid after my graduation, on how to get a job that fits my course. i am 20 years of age. and i want to help my family especially my father working abroad, and i want to have my own stuff, car, house and etc. but how?? but maybe this time i need to pass all the paper works thesis, and all the subjects required for me to get the degree.. hope you can help me..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bridget Kroetsch in Troy, Michigan

55 months ago

Sharon Ruth in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: I have found NOTHING with my BS in Biology, so I have been stuck with these little min wage jobs.
I was mislead in college and I was stupid enough to listen to my advisors who apparently knew nothing except leave me alone!!
I have tried several times to further my education but nothing and now I am out of student loans.
Sorry all just AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I GOT SCREWED
I got my degree in Oklahoma and I have had a couple companies tell me that they will not hire anyone with a degree from an Oklahoma school. I know they can't do that, they can't say this, but they did and so here I am.

Its like people with a english degree can't do anything with it either... you have to pick an avenue... teaching? or doing research...
Have you ever thought of teaching or going further with a Master: looking into research?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon Ruth in Fairview, Oklahoma

55 months ago

Yes I have been trying to get into research or lab work, but nothing so far. I have thought about teaching and I did go back to school for that but it fell through.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rena' in Spartanburg, South Carolina

55 months ago

JaneWay in Elk Grove, Illinois said: I feel like like such an idiot right now. I have a BS in Biology. After I graduated, I followed a totally different path.
I know a friend of mine has a friend who also got her BS in biology and works in some company shaving pigs and working with animals, she feels like her BS in Bio was not needed.
I mean what job can I get now, right away with a bio degree? I don't have experience in research or some direct bio field. I wanted something that would be a good career path with potential to grow.
Now, I'm trying to finish an MLT program. I should have tried entering an MT program at least, but I chose the MLT program for various reasons, despite the good advice I got here on these forums. Everywhere I search, they want MTs not MLTs. I'm going to be an oddball, an MLT with a BS in Biology.
I feel like I screwed up and it's just getting worse and that most of my decisions just get worse because of desperation. I feel like schools are just there to take money.

Hello, my name is Rena'! I agree with you a hundred percent! I've been trying to get in the nursing program and I have everything I need. Either the schools will add a class that we do not need and then the next year take it away. Another problem Im having is that they change the criteri to get into the nursing program!!!!!!!!! First you need to finish all your pre... and then you dont!! Go figure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Csigler in Ridgeland, Mississippi

54 months ago

sab818 in Grenada, Mississippi said: what do you do at the CRO? are you a CRA?

I have been an IT Manager/Director for the past 20 years and am in need of a change. I don't want to relocate for employment and since Jackson is so top heavy with medical related positions I was thinking about going back to school and pursuing my initial career choice. Since I am 44 I don't feel I can attend school for 12+ years to finally being to pursue a career. Was wondering what I could do with a degree in Biology. Are their research positions at UMC available? That is where I feel I really want to be!

sherel in Cleveland, Ohio

54 months ago

I too have a BS in biology and is still looking for employment. It has been a year since graduating and i feel like it was a waste of time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No Reply - Report abuse

jtrang in Renton, Washington

54 months ago

After reading everyone's comments on this thread, I'm starting to worry. I'll be graduating next year with a BS in Biology and I'm concerned about being able to find a good stable paying job afterward. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels hopeless after encountering this thread.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Student in the Bio World in Cambridge, Massachusetts

54 months ago

Average in Everett, Massachusetts said: I guess you could afford to be a "slacker,"Bio Major in Norristown, Pennsylvania".
You were financially prepared. There was no metion of debt on your part so I can assume you graduated debt free. No mention of a scholarship, so I can assume it was paid out of pocket by you and yours.

Being prepared financially to relocate at the drop of a hat seperates the "serious people" from the "flakes", I guess.

Good point! Also I noticed something in this forum that should be of HUGE concern of you guys having heavy difficulties in the field. That is THE ECONOMY of your region and location, do research! Many cities are not fully embracing research and biotechnological advances and it is being concentrated elsewhere best place being Massachusetts and more industrialized cities. Cambridge, Kendall Tech Square has a very powerful presence of Bio corporations and research labs not to also mention Bioinformatics and IT. Boston MA, Cambridge MA, North Carolina, Florida, Some parts of California, and Certain areas of Texas are places were Bio research is heavily concentrated. New York Also. Think!! I know the midwest is more powerful in Agricultural and petrolium industries, alot of corporations are focusing in areas where education is strongly emphasized especially when sciences and medical are well funded in education. Massachusetts is KNOWN for their leadership in strong academia.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Angellee in Tampa, Florida

54 months ago

jtrang....You don't have to have the CLS degree, but you have to get into a program that offers additional training(I think it is at least one year of training, including both theory and clinicals). You can't apply for the job without training to be a Laboratory Technologist.

Erika I in Houston, Texas

54 months ago

Hey guys I found a site that might help... I hope. Found it through facebook, it's called getbiologyjobs.com If you are willing to relocate then that might even work to your advantage.... Good luck :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

dekata33 in Concord, North Carolina

54 months ago

The exact same thing happened to me. Graduated back in 2005 with BS in Biology and couldn't find a job. I searched high and low and nothing. Now 5 years later, I am going back to school to get my associates in MLT. Just look at it this way, by the time you finish correcting the BS degree, you will be making money and the wasteless degree will be a plus to your resume'. I would have just went to a Technical College had I known earlier. It seems like I wasted 40,000 on a degree that I cannot use. It did help me skip a few courses.lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.