Bachelors degree in Biology, what can you do with it?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 718)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

redfish75 in Denton, Texas

54 months ago

I have the same problem as everyone else. I was originally an aerospace engineering major, but due to a bad background in math I got from my public school education I changed majors. I decided to go for a MT degree and after I completed the three years I didn't get accepted to clinical school the first time so I stayed and got a BS in Biology. I couldn't go to clinical school due to bills so I tried to find a job and still haven't been able to get anything. I am back working in a production job for 9.00 dollars an hour. The Pre-Med majors in my classes were right when I mentioned that if I couldn't get into clinical school I would go ahead and get a Biology degree and try later, they said " your not going to get a job with just a Biology degree! ".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

biobs in Colorado Springs, Colorado

54 months ago

Brandi in Vero Beach, Florida said: Reading all of these posts has opened my eyes as to how bad the economy really is all over the country.

I am currently attending college to get my AA in Biology and then going on to get my BS. My community college has recently opened a Bachelor degree program in biology with research opportunities available; which I am very excited about. I am, however, very undecided as to what avenue I want to take after getting my BS. I thought about being a teacher but I don't know that I have the patience for it. Also, I have always liked the idea of working in a lab and have a desire to do something with my life that will help others a great deal.

I have looked into working for the CDC and Peace Corps but with being a single parent I am unable to travel out of the country and I would prefer to raise my child somewhere other than the city.

I have tried to stay in the frame of mind that I'll wait until after getting my BS to decide where I want to go and what I want to do but I am very much the early planner.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and helpful.

Well I will say this i personally would not go for a BS degree in biology. However you can't do much with a BS degree in general rather it be in biology communication english etc.. you would def have to go on to doctorate programs in order to get somewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

biobs in Colorado Springs, Colorado

54 months ago

jtrang in Kent, Washington said: Does anyone know if one can apply to be a 'clinical laboratory technologist' if one has a Biology degree? I read somewhere that you do not need to have a MT or CLT degree, but a lifetime science degree may also be suitable. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks!

Echoing what someone else has stated you have to get into a clinical lab technologist program and get trained in order to proceed in that field. I currently and working towards that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Surena in Alexandria, Virginia

54 months ago

Hi all
I'm very glad to find this discussion forum. I'm graduating from Community College with Associate Science Degree. I was planning to study for Biology Science Bachelor degree to get enter Dental School, but I realize that it is not easy to get Dental school. And same time I will lose my time and money. I have a question. How is it If I change my mind to study for Dental hygienist bachelor degree ???
Is it better pay ???? Give me some advice please.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Helpme in Manchester, New Hampshire

53 months ago

I graduated with my B.A. in biology, and now i want to work in a hospital lab and no one will hire me because they say I don't have MT or MLT, so how do I get that!!?? Where do I find a program to get certified. PLEASE HELP

BioBS in Colorado Springs, Colorado

53 months ago

Helpme in Manchester, New Hampshire said: I graduated with my B.A. in biology, and now i want to work in a hospital lab and no one will hire me because they say I don't have MT or MLT, so how do I get that!!?? Where do I find a program to get certified. PLEASE HELP

Not sure if this will help but check out the college you attended. I know at the one i went to they have been trying to get this clinical laboratory science program or medical technologist for five years and are finally getting it started. Since you have a B.A in biology majority of the classes needed for the program you probably have already taken such as microbiology organic chemistry etc...But the first step would be to find a school in your town to see what the classes are that are required for the progam. Once accepted you do a year of training..like 11 weeks of course work and 44 or so weeks of training in a hospital setting without pay. I myself will be looking into the university of nebraska, unviersity of cinicinati (has an online program) etc...i even heard the university of phoneix in arizona has that program. It sucks because had the school offered this program in the first place i would of majored in it instead of freaking biology. Now im like most who didn't get into med school looking for other careers.

nicole in Los Angeles, California

53 months ago

LWCC in Pasadena, California said: I have a degree in B.s Biology major in Human Biology. International Education Research Foundation (IERF) already evaluated my transcript of record because I earned my degree outside United States. I am trying to sit for the Medical Technologist exam, but I need 1 year work lab experience. My question is, what kind of job I can take for me to have the work experience required for the MT exam? Majority of the employer requires license and certification. In my case, since I have a degree in Biology what kind of work I can find that is related to it, that doesn't require any certification and license?

Please help me. I'm really stressed out. I feel that my degree in Human Biology is useless because I've been searching for weeks now, but still I can't find any job specifically in hospital laboratoies that doesn't require any certification and license.

I'm here in L.A, if you have any place like hospital I can go to apply for a job please let me know. or at least give me a specific keyword of type of work I can have right now since I only have my degree

I just move to L.A too , I can't find a lab technician job because i don't have any licence. it is pretty sad.

Scotty in Miami, Florida

53 months ago

Im graduating in Dec with a B.S. in biology. Honestly, i dont even want to walk in my graduation ceremoney. I attend Florida International University in Miami, Fl. If you guys think your advisors were bad, they wouldnt even compare to the advisors at my school. i basically guided my self through college. i started out as a bio major, switched to nursing, then switched back to bio. why?? i have no idea. I wanted to go to Med school, but i know people with 3.7 GPA's and 28's on the MCAT that havent gotten sccepted in any of the schools the applied to. Althought i have a good GPA, my hopes of going to Med school went down the drain. Im planning on getting another bachelors in Biomedical Engineering as soon as i graduate with a bio degree. so much dissappoint and frustration on this end. I started in 2003......its now 2010 smh.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angellee in Tampa, Florida

53 months ago

Surena in Alexandria, Virginia said: Hi all
I'm very glad to find this discussion forum. I'm graduating from Community College with Associate Science Degree. I was planning to study for Biology Science Bachelor degree to get enter Dental School, but I realize that it is not easy to get Dental school. And same time I will lose my time and money. I have a question. How is it If I change my mind to study for Dental hygienist bachelor degree ???
Is it better pay ???? Give me some advice please.

The field is flooded with dental hygienists. You could go to school and have difficulty finding a job. I would do some serious research before majoring in dental hygiene. Check the dental hygienist forum here. There are currently too many of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

808chick in Wahiawa, Hawaii

53 months ago

bioman said: wel i guess u guys mite as wel just work at macdonalds. it's great to hear that ur counselor was such a big help at my college there's only one counselor now due to all the budget cuts, and she's to busy with an overload of paperwork that she only has time for one appt a day. im 113 on the waitlist and hope to see her in 2018. wel my advice for u pansies is to stop visiting depressing forums like this and look for a job even if it's voluteer work or go bak to skool. i had a 3.8 gpa with a degree in biology and now im my 3rd year of medical skool. yes definately the medical feild is a sure bet for u guys. or look for a job within ur local county, geared twoards environmental regulation. k hopefully one day everybody in this forum can meet up and have a big party once everybody finds a job.

Thanks man,
I've been trying to find a post that didn't make me depressed and lose all sense of hope. lol
Good job to you, and you just gave me the little bit of hope I needed. Tired of seeing all these posts about what I'm about to go to school for, is bound to be an inevitable failure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marki in Saint Louis, Missouri

53 months ago

Hi all ~ I got my biology degree in 1996. I was planning to do the 4+1 Med tech program and wasn't sure that's what I wanted to do at the time. I had my own business for the last 8 years (completely unrelated to anything scientific) and now need to do something else. I may have a job as a Lab assistant at a hospital (second interview on Thursday), I have one year experience doing that before college. It pays $9.00 per hour, not enough to really live on. I went to 6 Biology teacher interviews over the summer, and since I am not certified, I was not hired at any of the interviews. This is my 3rd lab interview in the same amount of time.

I am thinking about going back to school for:

* Masters in Ed (for high school teacher)
* Masters in Biology
* CLS (which is what I was going to do during college)
* Physical therapy
* Occupational therapy
* Med School (haha - just kidding, my grades aren't good enough!)
* Physicians assistant
* Nursing
* Masters - Biotechnology or Bioengineering (not sure I'm smart enough though)
* Food Science
* Public Health
* Pharmacology

I'm leaning towards Food Science because I have a great interest in it. I did my senior thesis on it and loved it. I'm not sure though, I think I may go get my CLS because I could get a job working different shifts, there is a demand for CLS, and I could work and still go back for something else....

I just wish I could get in immediately. The deadline for even the January program near me was in May.

Also, I'm now 39, wanting to get married and have kids since the "clock is ticking" and of course I would have to get my boyfriend to also want this (he's younger than me).... I don't know what's going to happen. I'm leaving it up to God, but I know I can't just sit like a lump. Just know you're not alone out there!

Marki in Saint Louis, Missouri

53 months ago

Helpme in Manchester, New Hampshire said: I graduated with my B.A. in biology, and now i want to work in a hospital lab and no one will hire me because they say I don't have MT or MLT, so how do I get that!!?? Where do I find a program to get certified. PLEASE HELP

Here is where you find schools:

www.naacls.org/search/programs.asp

Type in the program you're looking for (CLS/MT) is what you would want and then the State you're in. (Leave institutional name blank and all the programs in your state will come up.

mak in Asheville, North Carolina

53 months ago

any one know whr can i get online immunology course with atleast 3 credit
plz re me asap

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

biobs!

53 months ago

Yes university of nebraska has a cls program and is offering immunology online fall and spring! Go to there website class starts Aug 23

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

milosz in Walbrzych, Poland

53 months ago

I've read all the posts and I have to admit that here, in Poland situation is the same. Biology majors end up with nothing after studying five years, such hard subjects as genetics, microbiology, botanics etc. All the possibilities they have is to take PhD program, teach or work as trade representative. It's really sad when you realize that all the effort, time and money you put to graduate, have gone for nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Maxwell in San Diego, California

53 months ago

Read through almost all of this thread and it’s good to know that I’m not alone here. Graduated a few months ago with a B.S. in Biology and a minor in mathematics. Like many bio majors, my first few years of college was spent bouncing between being pre-med or pre-dental and taking classes along those lines. Didn’t end up applying (I wouldn’t have been competitive), and now I’m graduated and don’t have non-academic lab or internships experience. A lot of this is my fault for not looking “down the road” while I was a student and just assuming a Biology degree actually meant something I suppose. Been applying to every place I can for the last 3 months and have received 1 interview (no job offer obviously).

With regards to longer term career plans, I found my biochem/o-chem labs to be deathly boring and tedious, so I know that I don’t want to cooped up in a lab all day. Unfortunately, applying for Masters/PhD programs in biology also doesn’t seem very appealing now as, in light of my recent real-world experience in what it’s actually like to be a biologist looking for a job, I can’t really see the practical benefit in sitting around for 2-3 years and learning about theoretical stuff and helping to write research papers. If I don’t want to teach and I don’t want to work in a lab, what the hell good would all that effort be?

I’ll be checking out the peace corps and other suggestions of people on this thread. Maybe I could hire myself to my school as a “consultant” for young Biology majors. I’d have a lot to say...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tktran_2001 in Frisco, Texas

53 months ago

Hi all, I graduated with a 4 year degree in biology in 1999. Even then, it was hard to get a job. I was lucky because a friend of mine already had a research job at a startup pharmaceutical company, and he got me in. All I did all day long was run experiments on poor rats. Not exactly my idea of how I would spend the rest of my life. Even then, it was paying $30,000. I thought it was big money when I first got the job, until I realized how little that was, and until the company flopped.

My other friends who stuck with their biology degree kept bouncing from temp jobs to temp jobs. Some left biology altogether, and became entrepreneurs. They wasted all those years for a degree that didn't get them anywhere.

Since then, I took my MCATs, applied to medical school, and finished my residency training.

I made this sobering revelation: a 4 year degree in Biology won't get you anywhere, if you end the training there. At best, you are looking at a lab position, or maybe a teaching position in a high school. If that is what makes you happy, then all the more power to you. If you really want more potential for your degree, you need to consider post grad training. This can be in nursing, medical technologist, physical therapy, occupational therapy, optometry, pharmacy, dental, or medical (many which requires a bio degree first). Many colleges even offer Nursing degrees as a four year degree, so not only would you have a background in the sciences, but you'll graduate with a degree that can get you a real paying job in high demand. My college didn't offer more than a straight bio degree, and many of my friends ended up going for post grad studies listed above (mostly nursing, optometry, pharmacy). Most often, loans are a must, with the expectation that you can pay it back once you get your post-grad training done. I have 32 years of loans to pay back, but those are low interest loans, and I am able to make enough now to survive. Best of luck to you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

tktran_2001 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

53 months ago

It is true you need to have a strong start. But not everyone needs a 3.8 to get a higher level training. If your heart is set in going for your destined path, do the research, and find out the odds of you getting in, whether high or low, so that you set a realistic expectation. Along the way, you have to re-evaluate why your study habits aren't getting you the grades, and other sacrifices or distractions you have to let go of as you keep your sight on the target.

I'll say this, I was never a steller 3.8 GPA student. I finished in 1999 with barely a 3.397. In the 5 1/2 years of college (for a 4 year bio degree), the first 4 years were FORGETTABLE. Why? Because like many college students, I was hanging around with friends. We goofed around more than we "studied" when we were at the library, and would usually cram the week before exams (sometimes the night before). No wonder I had unimpressive grades. My approach was also wrong in different levels. I ditched everyone in my fifth year and focused on studying better, working my part time job as a manager at an on-campus copy center, volunteering, and even applied for a study abroad program (hence, the 1/2 year at the end).

The hard work paid off, and the year and a half boosted my GPA from a 3.2 GPA to a 3.397 GPA. Despite what my counselors told me (that there was NO WAY I would make it to med school), despite my ex-gf telling me to give up, despite all my friends with 3.6- 3.8 GPA not getting into med school, I persisted. 52 allopathic schools, 3 interviews, 1 rejection, 1 waitlist, and 1 acceptance. (incidentally, everyone who interviewed me asked me of my experience abroad).

My point is, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it's up to you to choose to follow it. The caveat is that even if the odds are against you (as it was for me), you should still try your best IF circumstances in your life allows you to. But don't give up simply because you are told you can't.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

One thing to add... many programs such as nursing, optometry, pharmacy may accept students with lower GPA, if they demonstrate convincing attributes (double major, community leader, extensive volunteering, etc. etc.). And by lower GPA, I mean like, 3.0 and up. However, that being said, it is quite a fight as things have become much more competitive.

If there is anyone out there who are interested in any part of the health care industry, do the research and find out which area is right for you. Talk to those who are already in the profession, learn the pros and cons, and picture if you can be happy in that career. And don't worry if you are not completely sure, because most people aren't. It also helps to think of the alternative with a 4 year degree and no job opportunity or job security should you end your training there. Once you decide that you want to go for it, then focus, work hard, and sacrifice all distractions. And all the best of luck.

However, If one person is happy to just scrape by and not do any extra curricular activities to distinguish him/herself, and cannot earn above a 3.0 GPA, then the chances of getting acceptance to any post-grad professional program drops precipitously. And for that individual, unless he/she can redeem his/her college performance, I would recommend switching out of biology.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

evolo in Canim Lake, British Columbia

53 months ago

This is a rebuttal to both replies. The reason I had used 3.8 as a GPA marker was because the post I had replied to, was a response to someone who had said his GPA wasn't great at 3.8 and he had gotten into a masters program, if I remember correctly. However as I am in Canada our standards are very different than in the US. For instance in my University no student is eligible to apply for any masters program unless he has a GPA of 3.7 (A- or 80% ave) or higher. Nevertheless some colleges as well as Universities in other countries will have different standards. Colleges in Canada are unable to offer masters programs as that would qualify them as a university, or so I have been told. In either case all I was trying to say is that knowing what I know now, not regretting what I learned, I do lament the fact that I did not take something more immediately applicable such as engineering, business or marketing. After all the name of the game is to get a good job is it not?
I also had many friends who went to third world countries to obtain their doctorate, a rather useless endeavour if you ask me.

53 months ago

Evolo, while I do not disagree with you, I am only speaking from my own experiences in the United States and in particular, the medical field. I'm sure it will differ for different programs and different countries. Indeed, in many countries, particularly those with either an English or French system of education, the chances of getting into an advanced studies track is very difficult, if not impossible, should the GPA (or post secondary school examinations scores) fall below a cut-off. I think the luxury of the American system is that it is a lot more forgiving for those students who may not have performed as well initially, or in the process of switching careers. As for myself, my academics would definitely not have qualified me for medical school had I been living in Europe, India, or maybe even in Canada.

As for going to third world countries to obtain a doctorate (in my case, a Medical Doctorate), that would be debatable. I graduated from the Chicago Medical School, but when I applied to medical schools (52), I also applied for 14 DO schools, and even considered the schools in the caribbean. I've known plenty of capable cardiologists, pulmonologists, and even surgeons who graduated from a medical schools all over the world, both first world and third. Even my associate program director graduated from a caribbean medical school. There definitely is a stigma associated with that, and it is difficult to land a residency, but not impossible. In the end, everyone will be able to work once they fulfill the same standardized training here in the U.S., despite where they graduated from. The process may be different for nursing, but I know of many RNs from a third world who are able to work here after taking standardized exams. I am not sure about the value of a foreign or 3rd world doctorate in non health related fields however.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Uncertain about the Future in Eugene, Oregon

53 months ago

So I'm finishing up my last term for a BS in Biology. My original intent was to go to Medical School until I got hung up by an interview 2 years ago. I was sophomore at a private school doing a mock-interview with several professors, when they literally told me I was a failure. Literally. And their basis for this harsh criticism? Because I had to retake the second term of General Chemistry and I hadn't taken the second semester of Physics immediately after the first semester. BIG DEAL!!!

Anyway, they told me I would never get into medical school now even though I had a great GPA with only those few minor set backs. The worst part was that it was partly their fault. They told me I didn't have to take the second semester of Physics, and so I didn't. They also told me that if I retook Gen Chem at their school, that it would completely erase the bad grade I got from my freshman year. That was a HUGE lie. By doing that it only delayed the rest of my chemistry sequence. And all it did was keep the D on my transcript and highlight it as a Repeated Course. Advisors don't know anything.

Anyway, I got really depressed after that. I was so mad that I transferred out to a public university back home. My Junior year was crap. My senior year has picked up... but the damage has been done. On top of that, I don't have any research experience or any sort of connection to professors so I don't have recommendation letters. It took me forever just to get adjusted to my new life, to make new friends, to finally feel at home... but that took away from my academic aspirations.

I've kinda given up on the whole Medical School thing, but I still don't know what to do with my Biology degree. Does anyone have any suggestions. Are there any good internships available? I've seen the posts about the CDC, so I'll check that out. And just fyi, I also majored in Human Physiology as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Uncertain about the Future in Eugene, Oregon said: So I'm finishing up my last term for a BS in Biology. My original intent was to go to Medical School until I got hung up by an interview 2 years ago. I was sophomore at a private school doing a mock-interview with several professors, when they literally told me I was a failure. Literally. And their basis for this harsh criticism? Because I had to retake the second term of General Chemistry and I hadn't taken the second semester of Physics immediately after the...

If you are still interested in the health care career, you should consider looking at PA programs. For the most part, they are 2 year programs that does not require residency training. You start working right away to make some money. In the mean time, if you are still interested in medical school, there is no rule that says you can't re-apply. Just study for MCATs, make sure you get good letter of recommendation from your PA faculty and Hospital supervisor, or MD that you would work for, and make sure to sell yourself... i.e., why you decided to pursue medical school after finishing up a PA program. Be prepared to explain why you didn't just start medical school right away. Be aware, they really don't care what reason you give, just so long as you are constructive and positive. Such as how you liked the PA program, but realized that you enjoy being more involved in patient care, or how you realized that you want to go into a specialty that most often requires an MD. Nobody has to know that you had previously aspired to apply for med school.

Indeed, there is the "traditional" way of approaching med school: Good GPA, research, volunteer, good MCAT scores, and going straight out of college. There is the "non-traditional" method as well, that may not require you to have the research, etc, etc. As long as your heart is into it, it is never too late to apply. I've known RNs and PAs who have gone back to med school successfully.

bktousifar in Boulder, Colorado

52 months ago

You can do many things with your Biology degree since it is a fundamental and broad science. You can always combine Biology to any field and make it more interesting and beneficial. If you are out of loan to continue to graduate school, there are many companies you can apply for a technician or research assistantship position. Below is a paper explaining what you can do with your degree in Biology;
advan.physiology.org/cgi/reprint/31/4/323

Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

disgusted in Mineola, New York

52 months ago

I graduated in 2004 with my BS in Biology. I couldn't get a decent job although I did at least have paying temp jobs, and something might have materialized. I wasn't sure that I'd be competitive for Medical School, and I also did not think I would enjoy the doctor lifestyle and took that seriously, now I realize none of that mattered. I had a 3.2 and I would have gotten 30+ on the MCATs, thanks in large part to a 15 on the Verbal section. I think i could have easily made 35, just getting 10s on the other 2, and since I was very strong in gen chem, Bio and Physics, this was highly possible (orgo was my weak point---but it's most people's).

Seeing that my abilities tended to verbal, writing and the related areas, I decided to take the LSAT and then go to law school.

I completed law school and passed the bar, only to be shut out from legal employment and now non-legal employment. Before law school I did not have loans, now I'm 6 figures in that department. So I should warn people not to go to law school. Unless you get into a top 5 law school. The rest are scams.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Waynesboro, Pennsylvania

52 months ago

This is a little sad. I'm a conservation biology student about to graduate this coming Spring. I don't know what schools you all went to, but my career development advisor has been super helpful. However, the advisor isn't responsible for getting you a job. I go to a private women's college in Pennsylvania and I'll graduate with a B.A. in Conservation Biology and Ecology. If you're persistent, any door can open for you. I already have a job lined up in my field out of college. I think the biggest thing is..... not being trapped. I looked in all directions, in different countries, in different continents. I'll be working on an Elephant Reserve in Botswana, South Africa a year after I graduate.

Did any of you guys do an internship or any type of professional volunteer work? I've been to South Africa on internship and I'm going to South America in Summer 2011 on internship. I think having the extra field experience and research experience is what got me the job I wanted.

Keep your head up and keep trying. School isn't going to fix everything. You need to get out in the field or lab and sometimes that costs money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dexter in Arlington, Virginia

51 months ago

If you already have a BS in Biology go and take the Patent Bar Exam to become a Patent Agent. That will afford you the opportunity to still utilize your science background and get paid a great salary while prosecuting patent. Just a thought. I have a BS in Biology from UNC Chapel Hill but you have to make your degree work for you....not you work for it. There are plenty of options with a biology degree outside of the norm (medical school, pharmacy school, PA school, etc.). There is also law school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dexter in Arlington, Virginia

51 months ago

You could go to med school in the Caribbean. There is also vet school, podiatry school, and DO school. You have options but if you have a negative attitude about your situation nothing will ever transpire. Ok so you have some road blocks but just find a way to keep motivated and get what you want out of life. As I have posted before, you could always sit for the Patent Bar Exam and begin a career prosecuting patents and eventually head off to law school to become a Patent Attorney.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

journey84 in Paw Paw, Michigan

51 months ago

I graduated with a degree in biology and environmental science in 2007 and have only had a few calls that actually pertain to my career field. I have never been so frustrated before. If I would have known that all the hard work, studying, and money would basically get me a $9.00 job cleaning animal cages I wouldnt have even gone to college. I was told that the sciences, especially biology has 90% placement and is one of the best degrees to pursue. It seems like the only way to get a professional biology position is to go back go school and get your masters or doctorate. If I had to do it all over again I would get a business degree and maybe a biology minor. The only jobs I have gotten inteviews for are for animal testing facilities where I would basically be drugging animals and watching them suffer and be put through pain. Being an animal lover and wildlife biology person that just is not my thing and I couldnt do that. I really want to find something in the enviromental/conservation side of biology, but am still looking after 3 years of graduating. My suggestion to those that are thinking about getting a Biology degree is to get a minor in biology and something else for major that has more promise for the future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon Ruth in Fairview, Oklahoma

51 months ago

I am in the same boat. I was cleaning cages for $7.00/hour. Talk about getting screwed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

JJTaylor in Mexico, Maine

51 months ago

wow... I am in my junior year of my Bachelors in Biology and have applied at 2 nursing schools and to a MLT Program for next year. I have heard your stories above loud and clear and am trying to find a way to use the education I've already got under my belt... what the hell are we supposed to use this degree for? I'm frustrated also - hopefully I'll get into one of those programs before long!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

No2Bio in Colorado Springs, Colorado

51 months ago

Im currently looking into getting a second bacherlors degree in clinical laboratory scientist or medical technologist as it is commonly called. Like many of you got the Bacherlor of Science in Biology back in 2008 and couldn't find work. Worked as a pharm tech (also useless field to go into market is flooded with pharm techs) for the last 2 years making 10 bucks and hour. I encourage anyone who gets a Biology degree to make sure you keep your grades up and go into medical school because Bacherlors degrees these days ae nothing more than the new high school dipolmas! You can not in the state of colorado do anything with a bachelors degree in biology. If you have great connects you may find something but there is absolutely nothing you can do except go to medical school with a bachelors degree in biology. Medical school is quite competitve and it seems they make it harder and harder each year to get in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tami in Birmingham, Alabama

51 months ago

Sharon Ruth in Fairview, Oklahoma said: I feel the sam way as Janeway. I have a BS degree in Biology w/ a minor in Chemistry and I can not find any work with it. My advisor had said that I would have plenty of opportunites for work. I found out that this person was so full of it. My GPA is 3.08, and I though that was good but apparently people are frowning at someone with a 3.0. It sucks because I was so proud of it. I had applied in Maine and Florida for Biological jobs and they both told me that they will not hire someone with a degree from Oklahoma. Sorry I am saying all of this but I feel like I have been screwed, because now I owe alot of student loan money. I am now 38 and have basically given up and decided to become a Paralegal because I have a friend who graduates Law school in May. I just wish I could have had a career in my degree field it was something I wanted since I was at least 10 years old.

I'm in the same boat almost. My overall gpa was 3.57, but after I graduated last year everyone kept saying I'd get hired...never happened. I applied locally, in neighboring states, and nothing. A lot of my friends went straight to grad school, but I wanted to take a year to work to get more research experience then apply for a doctorate. I got into a school for a master's (after realizing I couldn't find work), but then I realized that even with federal aid, I didn't have enough money to cover it. I also realized that the more cost-efficient programs are outside my state (and for some reason, I was trying to stay in-state close to my family). I'm now looking for schools world-wide that I can attend, but I STILL want experience-- even if it's just for a semester's time. After realizing that school was falling through this year, I'm BACK on the hunt for a job in my field, but nothing is there. Anywhere that hires without experience is seemingly flooded with applications, and have few positions open.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jslinfla in Delray Beach, Florida

51 months ago

I had applied in Maine and Florida for Biological jobs and they both told me that they will not hire someone with a degree from Oklahoma.

Sharon,
That just shows how truly ignorant they are. I am sure that someone with a degree from an Oklahoma college or university is well-qualified. As long as your degree is fully accredited, you have nothing to worry about and it is their loss.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

drizzy in Lubbock, Texas

51 months ago

You really cant do much with just a B.S. in Biology. I think the main purpose of the degree is just a prequisite to medical school. I really do not see what else you could do with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Your an idiot and i question if your in medical school or not because you came to a forum about those who graduated with biology degrees and are gaining advice on what you can do with them..if your in medical school why would you be worried about what to do with a bachelors degree in biology which is what the forum is about..find something to do with your time than come to a forum where people are simply venting and looking for things that they can do with there BS degree clown.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

SAMUEL KAISERBLADE in VENICE, Florida

51 months ago

It is a gateway degree. Have to go for more schooling unfortunantly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RA in New Castle, Delaware

51 months ago

I graduated in 1999 with a Biology Degree. Back then, like it was so long ago, there was no talk of a biology degree being a stepping stone for more school. And it's bs to think that now. Who takes a degree in biology with al lthe physics and chemistry to move on to grad school and take the same. Take ecology, much easier and you can use that for grad school or any degree for that matter as long as you meet the pre-req classes. You don't base your undergrad degree on grad school.

Anyway. I got a job at a university for my first year out of college. It paid 24k. I was happy. I was doing research working with juvenile pigs. Then I started to dislike the job, I quit and applied for any position I could find. A recruiter contacted me and set me up with a temp job at sanofi-aventis paying $18 per hour. I was very happy, I then got hired making 40k. This was 2 years out of college. I then grew tired of that job and quit. I found a new job which paid 46k.

This is where my life goes downhill. I squeezed into that new job right before the economy tanked. Now I am stuck here, no raises no promotions making 46k. In my previous position I was making 60k with bonuses. There are less jobs out there now so no one is hired. And those that do hired have lowered their wages significantly for new hires.

When you look at the older folks in a company (40s to 60s) many just have an AA or even just a HS diploma nad if they are working at a large well known company they are making at least 70k but usually more. ANd I am speaking from an animal tech POV. Nowadays you could bever make that much which anything less than a BA/BS.

It's really sad when this country no longer values a biology or related science major. We are seriously lagging in R&D and no one is doing anything to expand that sector of our economy so these biology degrees are becoming useless. An MS will not get you anymore than a BS will. A PhD has a much better chance but it's a big risk.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

OneJob Less in Podunk, Georgia

50 months ago

No2Bio in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: Im currently looking into getting a second bacherlors degree in clinical laboratory scientist or medical technologist as it is commonly called...

I am a new CLS graduate. If you don't mind, let me give you some words that I wish I read before I entered into the program. Be prepared if necessary to relocate. Although positions may be in your area, they may not be for new grads. But you do have some healthcare experience, so that may be okay. Become an organizational beast. The program is hard so don't underestimate it. If you are attending a good program, they will practically feed you the questions and answers because the schools want you to suceed, but they will definately flush out the weak links. Also organizing your notes will help you study for the certification exam after gradutation. When you rotate through your clinical sites make the best impression possible. Treat everyday as if it is an interview. See smart students parlay their rotational site into their after-graduation job, so don't miss this opportunity. If, however, you do not want to stay at that site, write down every test performed, every instrument used and list these instruments on your resumes. I have re-written my resume and you would not believe the positive feedback that I received from the changes. It got me the interviews. Don't stress out during the program; it will only frustrate you. Read more forums here about MT/CLS and do take the ASCP exam rather than the AMT. I passed on the first attempt. The $200 testing fee was my motivation along with the satisfaction of being an MLS (ASCP)CM. Good luck and let us know how you are doing. BTW-I have my 1st BS in Biology also. So I have two BS degrees. You might want to consider the CLS Master's degree instead of the BS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

OneJob Less in Podunk, Georgia said:

Thank you so much for the feedback! I wasn't aware of any masters program in the field of medical technology. I just know of the bachelors of science in medical technology. I got my BS in bio back in 2008 and unfortuantely grades weren't high enough to get into pharmacy school like i wanted so this was the next thing i could do it seemed. I will definetly take your advice on all of it. I was singed up to take the program for the 2012 and 2013 year. I have to go to nebraska for 11 weeks then back to colorado to train i believe for the a year. They have several positions through out the state however i am looking at the air force. Im also looking into the requirements for PA school as another back up plan really. Again thanks so much really appreciate the feedback.

OneJob Less in Podunk, Georgia

50 months ago

No2Bio in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: Thank you so much for the feedback! I wasn't aware of any masters program in the field of medical technology. I just know of the bachelors of science in medical technology. I got my BS in bio back in 2008 and unfortuantely grades weren't high enough to get into pharmacy school like i wanted so this was the next thing i could do it seemed. I will definetly take your advice on all of it. I was singed up to take the program for the 2012 and 2013 year. I have to go to nebraska for 11 weeks then back to colorado to train i believe for the a year. They have several positions through out the state however i am looking at the air force. Im also looking into the requirements for PA school as another back up plan really. Again thanks so much really appreciate the feedback.

MCG in Augusta GA has a BS/MS CLS program. There is also a distance/on-line option. Check it out, but know that an online program will require a great deal of focus. Look at tuition as well. The out of state tuition might be more than what you want to take on. Good luck and also take a look at some of the MT jobs on USAJOBS.com. Veterans hospitals seem to pay very well if you want to work for the gov, without enlistment. However if enlistment will equal a new degree/career and excellent pay, without student loans--go for it. Best of luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CLS Student in Omaha, Nebraska

50 months ago

No2Bio - are you at UCCS and going to attend UNMC's distance program? I am from Colorado and am currently in the CLS program at UNMC and I love it! I just started in May, finished student lab in August, and am now about to finish up my first rotation at Creighton University. They just added UCCS as an affiliate site this year and I had already committed to my clinical internship in Omaha when it became official so I didn't get the chance to go back to Penrose in Colorado Springs for my rotations. I applied to multiple programs and this one was my favorite by far. It has been a rough couple of months but I know it will be worth it in the end! Best of luck to you!

50 months ago

CLS Student in Omaha, Nebraska said: No2Bio - are you at UCCS and going to attend UNMC's distance program? I am from Colorado and am currently in the CLS program at UNMC and I love it! I just started in May, finished student lab in August, and am now about to finish up my first rotation at Creighton University. They just added UCCS as an affiliate site this year and I had already committed to my clinical internship in Omaha when it became official so I didn't get the chance to go back to Penrose in Colorado Springs for my rotations. I applied to multiple programs and this one was my favorite by far. It has been a rough couple of months but I know it will be worth it in the end! Best of luck to you!

Hello yes I am! Since i graduated back in 2008 and haven't found a job nor was my gpa high enough to get into medical school i decided to give this program a try. My concern was since im a single parent having to go out there for the 11 weeks is not a problem since my little one will be out of school and with my parents for majority of the time. It's when they ask you to relocate is what i can't do. She did mention that memorial has a clinical site so im hoping to get there for the rotation. Is the program tough?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I ahve heard that is rough.

50 months ago

No2Bio in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: Hello yes I am! Since i graduated back in 2008 and haven't found a job nor was my gpa high enough to get into medical school i decided to give this program a try. My concern was since im a single parent having to go out there for the 11 weeks is not a problem since my little one will be out of school and with my parents for majority of the time. It's when they ask you to relocate is what i can't do. She did mention that memorial has a clinical site so im hoping to get there for the rotation. Is the program tough?

The program is tough but it is so worth it. The key about this program is that they want you to succeed and they want you to pass your BOC. They load you up with material during the 11 weeks at the med center but there are objectives to follow so you can really narrow down what you study and succeed on the tests. Now that I'm in rotations, I think the student lab portion was the hardest and now I can really apply everything in my rotations. Like I said, I applied to multiple programs and this one was my favorite by far. They have a fantastic reputation for producing well prepared med techs to enter the workforce, and hospitals are constantly contacting them to recruit their students for jobs.

The majority of our students during the 11 week student lab were actually doing distance programs, coming to UNMC for 11 weeks and then returning to their respective states. We had students from CO, KS, IA, SD, MO....And the majority of them left their families back home for the 11 weeks. I can imagine that it would be very hard to do, but you will get a couple 3 day weekends for Memorial Day and 4th of July which would be easy weekends to head back home for a couple of days. Plus there are a ton of jobs in the Springs too if that is where you want to stay once you graduate, I know Kaiser is always hiring.

Anyway, best of luck to you! I do recommend this program 100%!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

How did you set up your living arrangements for going to Nebraska? Did you just stay on campus for the 11 weeks or have family there if you don't mind me asking? Since im pursuing a second BS i do have some elgibility left for finacial aide but when you have to go to Nebraska for the 11 weeks i was wondering how do you go about doing that

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

No2Bio in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: How did you set up your living arrangements for going to Nebraska? Did you just stay on campus for the 11 weeks or have family there if you don't mind me asking? Since im pursuing a second BS i do have some elgibility left for finacial aide but when you have to go to Nebraska for the 11 weeks i was wondering how do you go about doing that

I actually am still here in Omaha for my clinical rotations so I just got an apartment for one year. The majority of the students who came here for just the 11 weeks opted to live in the dorms; it is pretty cheap and it is not like your traditional dorm room. They have it set up so 4 people have their own bedrooms and a common living room/kitchen and then there are two bathrooms so it is more like sharing a 4 bedroom apartment. Some people who had dogs that they brought with them chose to rent a room for the summer, there are quite a few schools here so there are a lot of options to just sublease someones room in a house/apartment for the summer if you don't mind having a roommate. Overall, Omaha is a very cheap place to live in. I don't know how cheap rent is here when compared to Colorado Springs but I pay half of what I did in Fort Collins for a much nicer place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

soni jsoni in Wisconsin

50 months ago

kiwi in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Well i am a high school senior and im off to college but the college i am going to doesn't have a major of premed so i think im going to major in biology and make my way up to medical school! Is this the right path? Because i don't want it to be a waist of time!!!!!!! Please help!!!!!!!!

Read, read, read-so you can get a good MCAT score. Medical schools will look for other experiences at least 10-15. Volunteer in hospital, do internships in medical school you what to go toif possible. You don't need BS in bio or chemistry to get into medical school. There are people who major in English, philosophy or other field-and only fulfill med school pre-req. They want well-rounded person, because you will be interacting with patients with all different walk of life. BUT have a back-up plan, meaning look within yourself and ask if you really want to be doctor-as trey said shadow and ask questions as much as possible. Also if this is what you want and dont get into medical school the first, then you can do research bio-related and try again...but if you decide that you dont want to go to medical school but wanna stay in medical field then pick a major you like such as computer science/computer engineering which could get you into medical informatics or bioengineering. I hope it helps-experiment what you really like in college and ask professor for advices...take advantage of it. perhaps go to career office as soon as possible too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

April in Olympia, Washington

50 months ago

Aggie Girl in Killeen, Texas said: Wow, even though it sucks, It's good to know that I'm not the only one out there who can't find a job with a BS in Biology! I graduated from Texas A&M and have applied to hospital jobs, mainly working in labs, and I can't even get an interview. Any suggestions on a type of job I could get without having to go through more schooling?? If something doesn't happen soon, I am considering nursing school or possibly radiologic technology, but both with take me approximately 2 more years...I would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

Child protective services offers a job to anybody with ANY Bachlors Degree,I'm from San Antonio. Hey, it's a job..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kim in Jacksonville, Florida

50 months ago

I am a sophmore at a private school in FL, and everyone I talk to back home about leaving here is telling me to stay and that I need to get a degree but as of right now I am majoring in bio and marine science. I am questioning what I am doing here but the only things I want to do or have interest in doing are bad fields to get into and I'm frustrated and annoyed. I need some advice! Is it worth it for me to continue my degree in bio?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.