Bad record - quit job after 1-month

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

bmt3443 in NA

47 months ago

I worked in software development for 5 years and have a good resume up to Sep 2011. At this time I quit my job and was unemployed until Nov 2012 (over a 1-year gap). Then I got a development job that lasted only 1 month – I quit because I had severe nervous breakdowns/depression caused by many factors, including burn-out from working so hard to get the job.

I’m now applying to entry-level, junior positions and exclude the 1-month job from my resume. However, when employers/recruiters find out, they say that was a big mistake and I'm going to have a really tough time finding anything unless I network. My excuse for the 1-month job is that I was not comfortable in the work environment and my responsibilities were too low-level which I felt would only harm my long-term growth. It makes me look stupid and inconsiderate to the company, but admitting the truth would make me sound crazy. It seems hopeless. Thanks for reading.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

47 months ago

You know why people go into college teaching after being in the private sector? Because it's not the real working world. The real working world is hard and unforgiven. College teaching is like being in High School...no responsibility.

Your not alone in what your going thru.

Your best bet is probably a company that is smaller in size. They tend to overlook gaps alittle bit. Recruiters aren't going touch you at this point. Networking is a good idea but takes TIME.

You have to stop quiting jobs...you know. Why did you quit the first job that ended in Sept 2011. What is NA?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

bmt3443 in NA

47 months ago

Thank you for your response.

Yes, there seem to be more startups/small companies now offering interesting work. I'm applying and hoping to get something that will get my foot back in the door (and myself out of the house).

I quit the first job because I developed a negative attitude for the job/coworkers and wanted to take a break. Stupid I know. I don't want to take a job like that for granted again.

NA = not available, I'm in Chicago.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

47 months ago

bmt3443 in NA said: I worked in software development for 5 years and have a good resume up to Sep 2011. At this time I quit my job and was unemployed until Nov 2012 (over a 1-year gap). Then I got a development job that lasted only 1 month – I quit because I had severe nervous breakdowns/depression caused by many factors, including burn-out from working so hard to get the job.

I see too many IT guys like this. I went through it myself. I would advise, if it's this bad, to get help in some fashion even if it's only someone to talk to.

Anyways, I would leave the job off the resume. It doesn't matter and if they find out about it, oh well. You already know this, but you aren't allowed, in IT, to apply to jobs that you don't match up to, perfectly. So, the junior jobs may not work, either.

Recruiters are mostly useless anyway. They add no value and subtract much. And, I think the recruiters are right, they won't help you. They only want to help perfect candidates, which is interesting, because perfect candidates don't need their help.

You will need to dig yourself out of a hole. As a developer, build something cool, get it on github, or a personal website, and maybe you can network from there. You need to be a bit entrepreneurial and get out of the normal channels. The standard ones like HR and recruiters aren't smart enough to do anything but reject you. However, if you figure out how to do this, you'll be in a better place, in the long run.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

47 months ago

**** all recruiters.

You're no good because you have a one-year gap, a one-month gig you left notwithstanding? Bull****!

Recruiters are all about bull**** and trying to make you look better. Of course they want that one-month thing on there. They think if enough **** is thrown against the wall that something has a chance of sticking. They know nothing. They look at paper, dates and gaps. Big deal. Any monkey could do that.

I had a gap way wider than yours, and I just got a normal job. I also got a part-time job on the spot (out of the ordinary obviously) with this gap.

You'll be fine. Just keep trying. And, like others have said, try smaller employers. Take time off for yourself at times during the search. You'll need it. Something will turn up in time. If it did for me, it will for you.

I'm in Chicago too and know how dismally brutal this market is here. I've survived it (knock wood). You can too.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

bmt3443 in NA

47 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: I see too many IT guys like this. I went through it myself. I would advise, if it's this bad, to get help in some fashion even if it's only someone to talk to.

Anyways, I would leave the job off the resume. It doesn't matter and if they find out about it, oh well. You already know this, but you aren't allowed, in IT, to apply to jobs that you don't match up to, perfectly. So, the junior jobs may not work, either.

Recruiters are mostly useless anyway. They add no value and subtract much. And, I think the recruiters are right, they won't help you. They only want to help perfect candidates, which is interesting, because perfect candidates don't need their help.

You will need to dig yourself out of a hole. As a developer, build something cool, get it on github, or a personal website, and maybe you can network from there. You need to be a bit entrepreneurial and get out of the normal channels. The standard ones like HR and recruiters aren't smart enough to do anything but reject you. However, if you figure out how to do this, you'll be in a better place, in the long run.

Thanks. It means a lot. I think you're absolutely right in that personal projects prove you have real job skills. I keep telling myself that. I developed two entrepreneurial projects in college (have no C.S. degree) which got me into the industry. I made a list of projects I’d like to work on, but can’t find the inspiration to start. Maybe it's not just that they aren't inspiring, but I need a sense of responsibility. Perhaps I will search for someone to collaborate with. Need to be more proactive.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

jenny225 in Hebron, Connecticut

46 months ago

I wouldn't even put the one month job on my resume.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

bmt3443 in NA

46 months ago

jenny225 in Hebron, Connecticut said: I wouldn't even put the one month job on my resume.

I don't, and don't bring it up in phone interviews to employers. But I put it on the job application and mention it to recruiters.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

bmt3443 in NA

46 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: **** all recruiters.

You're no good because you have a one-year gap, a one-month gig you left notwithstanding? Bull****!

Recruiters are all about bull**** and trying to make you look better. Of course they want that one-month thing on there. They think if enough **** is thrown against the wall that something has a chance of sticking. They know nothing. They look at paper, dates and gaps. Big deal. Any monkey could do that.

I had a gap way wider than yours, and I just got a normal job. I also got a part-time job on the spot (out of the ordinary obviously) with this gap.

You'll be fine. Just keep trying. And, like others have said, try smaller employers. Take time off for yourself at times during the search. You'll need it. Something will turn up in time. If it did for me, it will for you.

I'm in Chicago too and know how dismally brutal this market is here. I've survived it (knock wood). You can too.

Thanks. I read your message and story and it makes me feel better. Hilarious actually, lol. I only had one or two experiences with recruiters prior and should have realized they are a waste of time.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

jewel31316 in Jesup, Georgia

46 months ago

bmt3443 in NA said: I worked in software development for 5 years and have a good resume up to Sep 2011. At this time I quit my job and was unemployed until Nov 2012 (over a 1-year gap). Then I got a development job that lasted only 1 month – I quit because I had severe nervous breakdowns/depression caused by many factors, including burn-out from working so hard to get the job.

I’m now applying to entry -level, junior positions and exclude the 1-month job from my resume. However, when employers/recruiters find out, they say that was a big mistake and I'm going to have a really tough time finding anything unless I network. My excuse for the 1-month job is that I was not comfortable in the work environment and my responsibilities were too low-level which I felt would only harm my long-term growth. It makes me look stupid and inconsiderate to the company, but admitting the truth would make me sound crazy. It seems hopeless. Thanks for reading.

You DO NOT have to include that job on your resume, and when you are asked you should be honest. I had to leave a company after a month because my Internet wasn't sufficient that caused my calls to drop and I didn't have faster Internet options.

Here is some advice I found for you "Blame It on Burnout The best tactic for talking about why you quit -- for any reason -- is to accentuate the positive and minimize the negative. Most folks understand that people are susceptible to burnout in today's world. Explain to your interviewer that while you enjoyed your job, you wanted to take time to recharge your batteries, physically and mentally. If you have no other gaps on your resume and have been working continually for a lengthy period of time, this explanation is quite plausible."

What have you done before looking for work? Put anything that you have done to fill in your gap, for example for a year I took care of my family and am attending college, and I put that on my resume. Best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.