Biomedical Equipment Technician VS. Computer Networking

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

kyle353 in Lubbock, Texas

15 months ago

I'm about to start to college here in a couple of months and i'm indecisive of what I what to go for. I've been stuck between biomedical equipment technology and computer networking as the title says for about a year now. I just can't figure out which would be the best route to go. What is your personal opinion if you're in these fields? Hows the starting salary? Hows the salary later down the road in your career? How do you like your job? Which would you propose me doing? I'm very interested in both which is why i'm having such a hard time deciding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

15 months ago

Well, luckily you have some time before you need to declare a major. Take some courses in both disciplines, talk to faculty and other students about both career possibilities, and don't put too much pressure on yourself to decide. You have time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

14 months ago

I know a Biomed for GE Healthcare and works in a hospital repairing medical equipment. Some Biomeds do field service on the higher end equipment / life support / lasers / surgical robots..., etc...

Find out who the GE DOS (director of service ) and he could give you info on internships and what they want. Biomeds are responsible for patient monitoring / telemetry systems so you will eventually deal with networking / computers / hardware / software.

There is some very high-end medical equipment used in todays hospitals, like $100,000 surgical microscopes for brain / spine surgery.

Some Biomeds get their training through a community college, others are military trained.

Calfornian in Hayward, California

14 months ago

I'm not entirely even sure what computer networking means today. I guess it would depend on the curriculum but it could range from help-desk work to some fairly high-end stuff. If you could get into the Cisco world I think you could do fine, the rest of it I have no clue as I always stayed away from it.

One advantage to networking is that relatively speaking, it seems to be the saner side of the IT equation. Kind of the moral equivalent of plumbing comparatively in that it doesn't have as much change.

Now, cue up the networking expert, who blows away that last paragraph.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.