Careers for people who "don't like people"

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 680)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

FloridaMom1026 in Orlando, Florida

61 months ago

Hello all,

What are some good career paths for someone who is not a "people person". I am not one of those smiley, happy, outgoing people. I like to sit at my desk and work and be left alone. I don't like dealing with the public. I absolutely HATE phones, answering calls or making calls. Please don't say data entry because 1) it only pays $9 or $10 an hour and 2)it's boring. I want something with some variety, where there is always plenty of work to do and I don't have to do busywork like filing or making copies. I want to go back to school and get a degree but I don't know what path to take. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (378) / No (66) Reply - Report abuse

Leah in Oregon, Wisconsin

53 months ago

FloridaMom1026 in Orlando, Florida said: Hello all,

What are some good career paths for someone who is not a "people person". I am not one of those smiley, happy, outgoing people. I like to sit at my desk and work and be left alone. I don't like dealing with the public. I absolutely HATE phones, answering calls or making calls. Please don't say data entry because 1) it only pays $9 or $10 an hour and 2)it's boring. I want something with some variety, where there is always plenty of work to do and I don't have to do busywork like filing or making copies. I want to go back to school and get a degree but I don't know what path to take. Thanks.

Hi,

"I Totally... Understand.. and am not a people person either.. can't stand to work with others to be honest.. Yes .. I can help you and offer you positive.. alternatives. There is nothing wrong with you.. a grown adult would know.. if they had autism.. I am not sure.. what state your in.. I took this WISC test. I am Artistic.. all the way.. as you may also be! Artist people are loners.. Writers.. and Fine Artist are examples of this.. just look back into history. I am in the process of becoming a screen writer.. but.. I too am here... to see what I can do in the meantime.. There are many short term career paths you can take at a Votech or Community College. Game Animation... is Huge.. On the rise and in demand.. You can work or arrange to work on your own and get top dollar .. over 70 grand. Graphic Design or Kitchen/bathroom design/CAD.. is another option. Land Surveying..Real Estate Appraising..Inspectors.. Repair Person.. Electrician.. Plumber.. Not that they are artistic.. lol ..just ideas.. you could work in animal control or a zoo. You can do cartooning.. or archetectural drawing. You could build..homes.. carpentry.. forest ranger..game warden..Wild Life jobs..Animal trainer.. You could become a writer.. a script writer.. you could become an actor. You could be a camera person.. HUGS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (202) / No (59) Reply - Report abuse

shellster in Pawtucket, Rhode Island

53 months ago

FloridaMom: I've got it - you could work in a morgue! Dude, it's perfect :o)

Seriously, I totally understand about not being a "people person" and wanting to work quietly without interruptions, phones etc. And it's not Asperger's, it's called being an introvert and there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. I don't want to deal with people most of the time, because most people are generally annoying. Ha ha, Just kidding. Maybe.

My last job started out perfect - almost no phone calls, I could listen to my MP3 all day, it was a lot of data entry but with a good mix of admin processing, my department was nice and quiet, but then towards the end my department was required to provide back up phone support to the call center (ewww!) and I became completely stressed out on a daily basis. Horrible! So, I have come to the conclusion that I thrive in a quiet work environment (no call centers! blech, lol) and hope to go back to school to pursue a new career, possibly for clinical lab tech or similar.

I recently finished reading an excellent book called "The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World" by Marti Laney. You may find it quite helpful.

Good luck to you...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (160) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

searching in Des Plaines, Illinois

53 months ago

Most of the introverts I know work in some kind of IT and are highly intelligent people. I work with numbers, which are much easier to get along with than people. ;o)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (93) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

JeezyDaSnowman in Deltona, Florida

53 months ago

can someone tell me how to post your own discussion?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (46) Reply - Report abuse

TarniD in Carlisle, Indiana

52 months ago

Wow! I have been feeling like a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. Great to see other people are like me, a loner and not liking to work with other people. I have been finding that, as a woman, there are limitations to jobs that accommodate my personality. The "home remodeling" path has been one I have found most success with. As long as you don't claim to be a contractor, which requires a license, you can do just about any job within the construction field. I do small home repairs, painting, cleaning all on a one-woman basis and charge a decent hourly wage. I move around the country a lot and find that these jobs, even in this economy, are plentiful. Recently, an electrician has hired me to crawl under homes to check wiring. Just be creative (artist, if you will) in your job search and you may be surprised. Good luck all of you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (82) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

NatureLover in Louisville, Kentucky

51 months ago

FloridaMom1026, I have the same issues with work. In this economy, it is incredibly hard for people like us to find work that does not deal with people non-stop. As far as career ideas, one that is good for you is Medical Laboratory Technician or Technologist. The first option can be accomplished with a two-year degree, while the second option needs a four-year degree. Get an associates degree to be an MLT, and you will work with specimens and microscopes all day. You may occasionally have to draw blood (maybe), but you will be in your own world most of the time. In this economy, the medical field is one of the only fields still hiring.

Also, "Measured Progress" has seasonal work just grading tests for elementary and high schools, but you need about two years of college to do that. You work in the summer and maybe a month or two in the fall sitting at a computer and scoring all day. Some of these tests are really interesting and funny, so it's not too bad. I know MP is in Florida, as well as Kentucky, so check it out if you have some college.

Good luck! If you do find something you like in this crap economy, let me know so I can do it too!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

suze2012 in Williamsburg, Virginia

51 months ago

Leah in Oregon, Wisconsin said: "Give Me..and everyone who reads this who is in the same boat as me.. a F***** Break! I never in my 45 years of life heard of this rediculous pre conceived society made word. It is a form of Autism .. for anyone else who never heard of this.. Not everyone is social.. not everyone likes to work with people.. not everyone is the same period! That doesn't make us.. have a problem as your implying to check into. Granted.. "Our Kind".. is not easily employable.. however there are many.. career options.. that I can suggest... as could you have suggested as well! I and others in the same situation are here and reaching out for constructive sollutions.. not societies classification or some psychological word that classifies us. I happen to be Artistic.. Not Autistic.. "Big Difference" . I live in Wisconsin and have taken through a Job Center A WISC Test.. which is one of the Best Career Assesment Tests in my area. I was classified through and through.. all the way as Artistic.. Yes.. that category exists.. My career paths and job areas are in the Arts.. Acting .. Writing ...Fine Arts and Film Areas. FYI... Most .. artistic types.. prefer to work alone

Read The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. It will change your life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

NumeSpot in Hamden, Connecticut

51 months ago

Thanks for being honest and asking a very genuine question. Are you finding it difficult to narrow down the paths that are of interest to you? Because you seem to like interacting with the work itself, rather than the people, I think it's helpful to consider what type of experience you enjoy having. For example, some people enjoy writing because it gives them the freedom to think through ideas, to communicate in a controlled setting, to outline what's most important to them, etc. Other people enjoy solving problems because they get to review lots of data, consider various options, analyze results. Some people really enjoy doing recurring tasks and getting very good at them, i.e. folding clothes or assembling small crafts. I ask you what you enjoy primarily because I find that people work much more effectively when they enjoy what they're doing. So, if you can determine what you enjoy doing, then I suspect you'll be able to find good work and earn a decent living at it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

NOYB in Saint Louis, Missouri

51 months ago

I was beginning to think I was the only one...

I'm an introvert myself and I hate this service driven economy where the majority of available jobs consist of talking to/waiting on clients/customers or dealing with customer service issues. If I see one more customer service/call center opening I'm going to scream. Temp agencies are just as bad as all they have are admin assistants/secertarial and customer service/data entry positions where you take customer orders over the phone. If I wanted a job where I had to listen to other people's problems all day, I would have majored in psychology/social work.

I am the type of individual who works better behind the scene/in the back of the house with the same groups of people/same tasks every day, but it seems as if the only jobs available like that are housekeeping/janitoral type positions that pay min wage and hire people with a ged level education and attitude(I have a bachelors). I also have poor motor/hand eye coordination skills so data entry positions are off limits to me. I am also bad with numbers so banking/financial type positions are not for me either.

I was in a voc rehab program and took testing to determine my strengths and weaknesses. I now apply the KSA/I(Knowledge, Skills, Abilities/Interests) when looking for jobs but rarely find any positions that match my KSA/I aptitudes.

Like many of you, I wish employers would realize that not everybody is an outgoing people person and some of us can't work retail/customer service type positions. Where are the jobs for creative, task minded types who want to work on projects, not with people?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (139) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Shelia T in Sanger, California

51 months ago

Ever see that movie Office Space? Well, the main character hated his job and all I could think about while watching it was how much I wish I had that job!! I'd love to sit at a desk in a cubicle and do data entry type busy work. Having a non customer service oriented job would be a dream come true for me! Where are those types of jobs??

So far, I've only ever excelled at being a student. I didn't have to talk to anyone and I could go to class, listen to lectures, be surrounded by people, but never have to worry about interacting with them. I sometimes wish I were more social but I've found my social outlet online. I just wish I could find a job to fit me.

Does anyone know of any data entry jobs that you can do from home that isn't a scam? I wonder if there's a job listing site for introverts... Now, that's an idea... Someone run with it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (125) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

RobInStLouis in Waterloo, Illinois

51 months ago

Hey, there is a group on the networking site LinkedIn just for introverts. It has seven members.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

ErgophobicChic in New Jersey

50 months ago

try being an Introvert that was born with a stutter! people who can not verbally communicate successfully have it very hard in life. hell...if i could speak fluently i would talk everybody's hear off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Shelia T in Reedley, California

50 months ago

If you don't mind my asking, do you currently work ErgophobicChic?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

ErgophobicChic in New Jersey

50 months ago

no i am currently unemployed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Shelia T in Reedley, California

50 months ago

Same here. I found a semi perfect job posting for a part time secretary at a funeral home and it seemed perfect. Small office of about 3 people. I went in for two interviews and they never called me back. *sad face*

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in East Haven, Connecticut

50 months ago

I am kind of intoverted.... people can sense someting in me thats bad when they talk to me or even if i am not in the same state as them. just called for a job and the guy said the job was taken when he told me to call today... and then hung up. i dont know what i could do. im an undergrad still, kind of extroverted and intoverted.... but just got shot down by some guy on a telephone sales job..... why.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Mike in East Haven, Connecticut said: I am kind of intoverted.... people can sense someting in me thats bad when they talk to me or even if i am not in the same state as them. just called for a job and the guy said the job was taken when he told me to call today... and then hung up. i dont know what i could do. im an undergrad still, kind of extroverted and intoverted.... but just got shot down by some guy on a telephone sales job..... why.

You are either EXTROverted (the correct spelling) or introverted, not both. You are one or the other, but most people can adapt with practice. But as a true introvert you will need to find time to back off of a social task and recharge. Phone selling is a social task. Extroverts feed off of the social interaction of a phone call or sales/social event. They are powered by social interaction, which is why they make great salesmen as long as they are practiced, polished, and say the right things. As an introvert I think that I could go a week without any social interaction. It has been said that extroverts speak before they think (some foot-in-mouth disease here), and introverts think before they speak (thus more quiet). If you are indeed both, there is medication for that....
The Myers-Briggs test is the gold standard. They swear that there are no right or wrong answers. It's a lie when it determines your fate in the job market, or forbid, your current job to see if you are right for it (happened to me). Extroverted Salesmen = $100K per year. Introverted data entry person = $10 per hour. Pigeonholing at its best!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (58) Reply - Report abuse

Jamie in Calgary, Alberta

50 months ago

shellster in Pawtucket, Rhode Island said: FloridaMom: I've got it - you could work in a morgue! Dude, it's perfect :o)

Seriously, I totally understand about not being a "people person" and wanting to work quietly without interruptions, phones etc. And it's not Asperger's, it's called being an introvert and there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. I don't want to deal with people most of the time, because most people are generally annoying. Ha ha, Just kidding. Maybe.

My last job started out perfect - almost no phone calls, I could listen to my MP3 all day, it was a lot of data entry but with a good mix of admin processing, my department was nice and quiet, but then towards the end my department was required to provide back up phone support to the call center (ewww!) and I became completely stressed out on a daily basis. Horrible! So, I have come to the conclusion that I thrive in a quiet work environment (no call centers! blech, lol) and hope to go back to school to pursue a new career, possibly for clinical lab tech or similar.

I recently finished reading an excellent book called "The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World" by Marti Laney. You may find it quite helpful.

Good luck to you...

haha, love the morgue comment, can't get any more perfect than that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Dvorah79 in South Bend, Indiana

50 months ago

I understand where you are coming from. Here are some jobs that you may enjoy: Librarian/ library assistant, insurance underwriter/ underwriting assistant, computer science/ IT- specifically software tester, vet tech, medical lab tech, radiology tech, medical transcriptionist, technical writer, business analyst....The list goes on. Hope some of these ideas helped or sparked an interest in a particular field. Best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Angie in Brooklyn, New York

50 months ago

Oh my goodness! OTHERS JUST LIKE ME! I hate my job! I could have written so many of these post. Its like your all in my head. I agree there is nothing wrong with out personality type. It is just not the majority in this world. Anything that isn't the majority you know the world gives it a label and says its a problem. Bull crap! I often envy the guy from the Twilight Zone ep who wished away all the people. LOL Don't let anyone tell you there something wrong with you because there isn't, God made all personality types and last time I read the bible it said that he looked at all that he created and it was GOOD!

Think about some of the things you are interested in and see if you can find a way to turn it into a business. Aside from being sick of working WITH people I'm also sick of working FOR people!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (107) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Sydney, Australia

50 months ago

Similar to many of the replies, I'm one of the types who enjoys being alone. Not that I don't like people (I do)...I just set my own standards and achieve internal satisfaction through achievement, without having to be visible.

I work in IT, specifically application development. A large part of the work is problem solving which is done in my own headspace. I have several higher level degree's but that isn't really necessary to pursue a career in this area. The main thing to avoid is entry into IT via any type of helpdesk or support, this is certainly not the area for you. Perhaps engage with the very active gaming community where application developers are highly sought (particularly artistic developers)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

susan in Franklin, Tennessee

49 months ago

It is society's loss, too, that introverted types don't get hired. Introverted people like us are kind, thoughtful, nonjudgmental, creative, hard working, mind-our-own-business, sit-and-shut up-and-work types. We should not be punished because we don't chit chat and gossip and spread untrue, hurtful rumors, with phony Joker-smiles plastered on our faces. Jobs would be done better if we were hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (469) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Shelly in Hastings, Minnesota

49 months ago

I'm an introvert too, and also struggling greatly with this problem. I've been trying to find something full time for 1 1/2 years now. The two (part time) jobs I've gotten were perfect for introverts, overnight person at a teenage shelter (where I just did laundry, paperwork, and meal prep for the next day) and housekeeper at a Bed & Breakfast (where I clean rooms after guests check out). Both jobs require very little interaction with others and I love it! Oh, to the person who said housekeeping is only minimum wage...try doing it at a Bed & Breakfast, I'm making $10 an hour to start!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

Leah: Have you ever thought about becoming a freelance writer? You can even work from home. You'll have to deal with a lot of rejection, but yet, you might get your worked published.

I took up freelance writing five years ago. Since December, I've been taking a home study course through the Long Ridge Writers Group up in Connecticut, and I just recently signed up to take their Childrens' Literature course. I want to write for teenagers as well as adults.

Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

Leah: you can also start your own home-based business. If you have a hobby, you can turn it into a successful career. You might want to take a business management course as well.

If you do, you'll be joining the millions of other people in this country who are sick and tired of the BS and the false hope and promises of Corporate America.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

susan in Franklin, Tennessee said: It is society's loss, too, that introverted types don't get hired. Introverted people like us are kind, thoughtful, nonjudgmental, creative, hard working, mind-our-own-business, sit-and-shut up-and-work types. We should not be punished because we don't chit chat and gossip and spread untrue, hurtful rumors, with phony Joker-smiles plastered on our faces. Jobs would be done better if we were hired.

You just described my job to a tee! You would think employers would appreciate us but no all they care about is your not singing Good morning to everyone when you walk in and smiling like chesire cat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (124) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Changing Times in Roseville, California

48 months ago

Some type of science field, like biology or working for the fish and game department, like a forest ranger. There's just one thing, any type of job, at least in the real world, will require some kind of human interaction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

KB in Williston, Florida

48 months ago

Dvorah79 in South Bend, Indiana said: I understand where you are coming from. Here are some jobs that you may enjoy: Librarian/ library assistant, insurance underwriter/ underwriting assistant, computer science/ IT- specifically software tester, vet tech, medical lab tech, radiology tech, medical transcriptionist, technical writer, business analyst....The list goes on. Hope some of these ideas helped or sparked an interest in a particular field. Best of luck!

I don't know why people keep telling introverts to work in a library! In public libraries, you deal with the public ALL DAY LONG! It's not some nice little world where you work with books; you have to work with people, and that sucks for introverts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (152) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Shelly in Hastings, Minnesota

48 months ago

KB in Williston, Florida said: I don't know why people keep telling introverts to work in a library! In public libraries, you deal with the public ALL DAY LONG! It's not some nice little world where you work with books; you have to work with people, and that sucks for introverts.

Well at least it's quiet, and you don't have to be loud, boisterous and outgoing. And you're usually only dealing with one person at a time, not working with a large group or speaking to an audience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (45) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

It depends on what you do in the library. I worked in the back office and didn't have to deal with people at all. It was cool.

Quote --Sometimes it helps to be involved in a job or project that you are truly interested in. It just makes it easier to communicate something with people that you actually want to talk about. --Quote

This is very true! Find something you enjoy and don't mind talking about! I hate people but I am studying to be a wedding planner and have my own business. I'm sick of working for someone else. I will still work with people but on a one on one basis and it won't be everyday! My business, my rules, and best of all 8hr shifts of constant people not part of the job. I truly enjoy weddings and I'm actually pretty good at planning them. Done it for years for friends and family.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Has anyone considered being a court reporter you can work for courts or be freelance. You can also do closed captioning reporting which is very limited for people interaction. Its two or three years for that feild. If your a biology major you could go into research. Stay away from jobs that involve customer service (people will drive you to drink!).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

NOYB in Saint Louis, Missouri

48 months ago

Had a friend call me the other day about a Customer Service Rep job the other day and she was going on and on about how easy a job it would be,and that it was close to where I live and all the while I was thinking in my head you have got to be kidding me. For an introvert, call centers are the bane of our existence (she on the other hand is an extrovert).

I searched Indeed to see if I could find out more info about the job and found that it was a CSR/data entry position I wouldn't qualify anyway since I wouldn't meet the typing requirements-why apply and set myself up for failure /rejectionBD,DT (Been There, Done That) with the staffing agencies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Leigh in West Babylon, New York

48 months ago

just because someone is smiley & happy does not mean that they are outgoing and like people. I am one of those people who is constantly so upbeat at work and always smiling. People are always asking me if I ever stop smiling. People always think I am extroverted. Guess what? I am an introvert and I hate people! I want a career where I can be by myself most of the time too and not have to deal with personal conversations at work. Personal conversations at work drain me to the point where when I get home I dont even want to talk to my husband. I am not an extrovert in any way at all, I just like to be friendly and smile. So, the next time you see that extremely happy person with a smile on his/her face all the time.....dont be fooled. He or she is probably not outgoing like you think. People think I am outgoing all the freaking time and I am tired of it. To answer your question...try any computer careers.
Computer careers are great for introverts. You still have to talk to people of course, but its not like other careers where there is pressure to talk all day like sales or teaching etc. & computer jobs pay very well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (92) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

zoobie in Goldsboro, North Carolina

48 months ago

The advice to become a librarian if you don't like people is inaccurate. Unless you work strictly in tech services (cataloging), you actually have to interact with people quite a bit.

If you're working at a reference desk, especially in a public library, you'll deal with people who are drunk, high, mentally ill, or otherwise impaired, as well as people who are just plain belligerent or uncooperative (and also some perfectly nice, ordinary folks). You will have to exercise your customer service skills (this is VERY heavily emphasized by library administration and will be a key point for getting hired) with patrons who stretch your tolerance to the breaking point. This is definitely NOT the field for someone who doesn't want to deal with other people on a daily basis.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (86) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

bounce7890@hotmail.com in Little Elm, Texas

48 months ago

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania said: Leah: you can also start your own home-based business . If you have a hobby, you can turn it into a successful career. You might want to take a business management course as well.

If you do, you'll be joining the millions of other people in this country who are sick and tired of the BS and the false hope and promises of Corporate America.

As someone who was sick and tired of politics at my former job, I started my own home-based business ... and now I'm sick of all people all the time. "People" are just morons. When you own your own business, you'll see the absolute worse in almost everyone you talk to. Trust me, owning your own business is NOT the way to go when you are trying to find a job that doesn't deal with people. All you do is "deal with people" when you are the "head cheese."
I would suggest a job that entails working with your hands: construction, working with animals ... physical labor. Some of the happiest people I know work with their hands all day!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (87) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Flatulent Elephant in Kent, Washington

48 months ago

I'm not really a "people person" either, hence I've mostly done field work in my jobs. You may have to deal w/the boss in the office in the morning &/or end of the day, but for the most part you're on your own w/maybe the occasional client coming up to you to ask questions, etc. but it's not bad. I would imagine it's hard to find office work where you're not dealing w/people -- either upfront or over the phone, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

I have a couple of books about introversion that may be helpful. The first is "The Introvert Advantage" and it tells you alot about introversion. It's especially helpful if you don't know what is going on with yourself. Some parts of it are a little condescending, but overall it answers some questions.
Another is "Why should Extroverts Make all the Money?" and it can help point you in the right career direction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Average in Medford, Massachusetts

48 months ago

Record unemployment in construction right now...
I'm sure the sector will recover somewhat but I'm not sure when and to what level. I've 'talked' to someone about it several months ago. I was left with the impression that there's no clear path, outside of a union based apprenticeship. The current situation with apprenticeships, from my experience is that there are more applicants than open slots for apprenticeships. Some apprenticeships have been suspended.
Trade schools are the next best option but they're becoming as expensive as a BA.

Many computer jobs can be outsourced.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ana in Elizabeth, New Jersey

48 months ago

Samuel Pichardo in North Miami, Florida said: Here's something that I can't recall anyone mentioning: doing surveys online. I know there are tons of crap out there but I just recently got involved with a company and I'm making $75 a day with it. Its great and if recommend it to anyone.

Hi could you tell me the name of the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

I am not sure what to take wether bookkeeping or medical coding. I am very quiet and shy so I would like to work from home.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

adglen in La Puente, California

47 months ago

OMG Ana (ana in Elizabeth, New Jersey), I am in the exact situation as you are, deciding whether or not to take bookkeeping or medical coding, and I also consider myself shy and quiet. Check out the medical coding forum. I did, and I came to find out it is not for me. According to some, you need to be very careful when choosing schools since some of them do not offer certification, and most employers will not hire people unless they have at least 2 or more years experience. There is a lot more work in coding that I was not aware of, and you need to be very knowledgeable in the subject. I am glad that I got to read many of the comments made by the readers. However, do not let these comments persuade you to do otherwise if you really want to go into coding, just be very careful. Now, I will look into the bookkeeping forum so what is there. Good luck in your decision!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mo Money in Watervliet, New York

47 months ago

I am an intorvert as well. Unfortunately, we intorverts have limited options. Some jobs that would fit out personalities are:
1) Pizza delivery driver
You can find a good job by staying away from franchises like "Pizza Hut" or "Dominos". Try a smaller local store in a relatively upscale neighborhood. They usually will pay off the books, so to speak, and your pay is untaxable if you dont claim it at tax time. You can make about $12-15/hr daily, but is better on weekends. You will have to use your own vehicle though, but you dont have to wear their ugly uniforms...
2) Car Detailer
Some car dealerships/rental car companies hire people to clean cars inside and out. You do have to brave the weather but is usually done in a garage.
Privately owned car washes hire car detailers to clean people's vehicles inside and out and pay can be off the books too and can make $15/hr plus tips.
3) Truck Driver
Truck driving also is a good option if you dont like people and if you like driving/travel. You dont have time for sightseeing because you have a strict schedule to adhere to. And sometimes the lines on the road can put you to sleep. It is also poor on your health because you dont move around much and you eat poorly. But the pay gets better with longer trips. Some companies offer local routes so you dont have to be away from home.
4) Delivery Driver
Companies like "FedEx" pay around $20/hr for delivering mail/packages on local routes near home. It does involve some physical work of loading the truck and delivery/pick up of mail to/from its destinations.
5) Transcriptionist
Transcriptioning pays $10-15/hr depending waht company you work for. It is very independent and can be done from home if possible. For example, you sit with a recording from a doctor and you transcribe (write) doctor's orders/notes. There is no one to entertain but yourself.
6) Business Owner
If you have a hobby (like making bikes out of bamboo), this can be done at home. Marketing involves people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

ALPinWA in Lakewood, Washington

47 months ago

OP, can you work with people via email? I don't care for much contact myself, but my problem is that I don't hide my feelings very well. If I'm annoyed with someone, it shows on my face very clearly.

Working with people via email gives you the chance to control your interaction a little bit more. You can take the time to carefully craft what you want to say to someone, and can have a co-worker look over your work to be sure its diplomatic/correct. If you get an irate email, you have the time to compose yourself, get control of your feelings, and respond when you are better able to. You can't do that on the spot, on the phone, or face to face.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Joyous in Asheville, North Carolina said: Do Tell, Samuel

Yes do tell roguyedark1@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cobi in Yonkers, New York

47 months ago

In spite of the fact that -- like you -- I hate people, I have managed to do things like telemarketing which is better than retail in that you don't actually have to "see" the people. You can make gestures with your hands like you are strangling or stabbing the person on the other end of the phone which makes me feel a whole lot better. Generally most types of office work are acceptable to me as customers are usually via the telephone (although more often you can email them). It doesn't matter if there are no phones though because some A hole manager who thinks they know more than you is likely to want to micromanage you and disrupt your entire day anyway. When you have to spend 50% of your day proving that a particular Excel spreadsheet formula is NOT wrong after you have been doing the job for two years....you will want to bludgeon your supervisor to death. There is really no escape for people like us.

People equate being a good talker (especially the blowhards) with being a good worker which is rarely the case. Sure, those are the people you want selling, but not the people you want creating efficiency.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

officewithoutdoors in Columbia, South Carolina

47 months ago

The best job is a work-at-home type profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Joyous in Asheville, North Carolina said: Do Tell, Samuel

YES! Don't hold back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

I dont think your company is legit if you have to pay 185.00 for a list of home based jobs lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Samuel Pichardo in North Miami, Florida said: Nice lol -

Kinda hard to believe. If they're helping you find jobs, shouldn't they be getting their up-front cut of your hourly wage from those who are hiring, like all temp companies do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.