Careers for people who "don't like people"

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 755)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Ethiope in Fredericksburg, Virginia

75 months ago

jdjd in Chicago, Illinois said: Aye gotcha... Yeah I have taken the online one and I am INFP with 90% Introvert... 38% Intuitive, 62% Feeling, 44% Perceiving. I am the same on the real MBTI.

I'm an INFP too. I tried to find my percentages, but can't find them, but I think I'm in the 60-something% introvert range.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

red harring in Toledo, Ohio

75 months ago

You can be a janitor, if you don't mind cleaning toilets. The pay isn't so great. Some places offer single man accounts, if your lucky.

Reply - Report abuse

mrgetemployed in Honolulu, Hawaii

75 months ago

FloridaMom1026 in Orlando, Florida said: Hello all,

What are some good career paths for someone who is not a "people person". I am not one of those smiley, happy, outgoing people. I like to sit at my desk and work and be left alone. I don't like dealing with the public. I absolutely HATE phones, answering calls or making calls. Please don't say data entry because 1) it only pays $9 or $10 an hour and 2)it's boring. I want something with some variety, where there is always plenty of work to do and I don't have to do busywork like filing or making copies. I want to go back to school and get a degree but I don't know what path to take. Thanks.

I would suggest looking into becoming a park ranger/forestry professional. These folks work outdoors as well as have limited interaction with people. Another option would be to become a auto mechanic as the interaction with other people is somewhat limited with the car being the main focus. There are jobs that have limited interaction with people but in today's day and age these jobs are very few and far between. Possibly investigating the merchant marine might be something of value to you as well. Spending all your time on a ship away from land does create somewhat of an isolated existence – which may be what you are looking for. Hope this helps.

Reply - Report abuse

michaelb in East Hartford, Connecticut

75 months ago

TarniD in Carlisle, Indiana said: Wow! I have been feeling like a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. Great to see other people are like me, a loner and not liking to work with other people. I have been finding that, as a woman, there are limitations to jobs that accommodate my personality. The "home remodeling" path has been one I have found most success with. As long as you don't claim to be a contractor, which requires a license, you can do just about any job within the construction field. I do small home repairs, painting, cleaning all on a one-woman basis and charge a decent hourly wage. I move around the country a lot and find that these jobs, even in this economy, are plentiful. Recently, an electrician has hired me to crawl under homes to check wiring. Just be creative (artist, if you will) in your job search and you may be surprised. Good luck all of you!

Hey Tarni, I'm totally with you. I started a one man garage door sales and service business 12 years ago so I can work alone. It's been great but I'm getting bored and need to make more money. Now I'm faced with the prospect of working with people again. (#*&$^*!!)

Reply - Report abuse

robjones@*****.*** in Waterloo, Illinois

74 months ago

Sharon T. Knox in Manchester, New Hampshire said: Indeed.com,

You HAVE to take all adds from Crystal Wireless Limited off your site. I was just scammed by them.
With an email from 'Rose Clarkson' about a month ago, I was enticed with a job, posted on your site, for an Admin Asst. for $25/hr. I was told as part of the interview, or orientation, that I would be getting a check that I had to deposit, wait until it cleared, then Western Union that amount (minus $150 for my trouble, to someone in Perri, CA.
Well, I did that. I got a check for 965.78. I deposited it in my account, waited until it cleared, and wired the money as instructed.
Guess what, when the check fully cleared (that takes 5-10 days) there was 'insufficient funds' and now my personal account is overdrawn, but the guy, Jamal Anderson, has his money. Or should I say MY money. And Rose Clarkson is nowhere to be found, big surprise.
I am unemployed and had to sell a camera lens and my Bose radio to get that rent money. Now I have neither.
Indeed.com...I love you guys, but I cannot continue to visit, and use, your site with these practices. I cannot be the only one scammed from your site.
Unfortunately for you I am reporting this, and telling everyone I know, posting it everywhere I can, about your irresponsible behavior. I will never trust anything from you again.
Do some checki

This scam has been around for a long time. You need to arm yourself with knowledge of scams, especially in your vulnerable position. Hey, I would have kept the $965 if it were legit and told him to kiss off. Nobody is going to pay you $25 an hour to cash checks. And Western Union - well that is red flag in itself!

Reply - Report abuse

Tuscano in New Brunswick, Connecticut

74 months ago

What are some good career paths for someone who is not a "people person". I am not one of those smiley, happy, outgoing people. I like to sit at my desk and work and be left alone. I don't like dealing with the public. I absolutely HATE phones, answering calls or making calls. Please don't say data entry because 1) it only pays $9 or $10 an hour and 2)it's boring. I want something with some variety, where there is always plenty of work to do and I don't have to do busywork like filing or making copies. I want to go back to school and get a degree but I don't know what path to take. Thanks.

If I would suggest anything; if you're not a "people person" per se, and you don't like regiment; I would highly suggest any of the fields requiring research. Whether it's statistical, fact finding, or averaging I think you'll find a level of excitement in how obscure pieces of information combined with math, facts, and intuition can keep you busy, and you'd probably be well suited for it.

I'd probably also suggest graphic arts, such as desktop publishing, editing, and proofing.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Reply - Report abuse

Nikki Neutron in Arlington, Texas

73 months ago

You might be interested in becoming an ART Therapist or a Recreation Therapist.
Rec therapists require Bachelors while Art Therapy may require a Masters degree in some areas.
Your best bet would be to call around some of the larger hospitals and ask to speak to an ART/RECreation therapist. Interview them about their career and ask if you can shadow them.

laura6 in State College, Pennsylvania said: I am too quiet not really smiley and outgoing and don't enjoy working with the public. I am not saying I hate people it's just the only job I've ever had was working in retail for about 8yrs and let me just say...no thanks...been there...seen it all...and need a change asap. My only problem is I don't know what I want to do. I think I am artistic but I don't write or draw. I am terrible at math, English, and science. The only class I ever enjoyed going to was art class but I have no idea what I would do with that. I am just so confused with life!!! Please help if anyone would have any ideas!! Thanks

Reply - Report abuse

Chloe in Minneapolis, Minnesota

73 months ago

I'm an introvert, as well. I greatly enjoyed reading all of the comments here. Thank you all for sharing. My father has Avoidant Personality Disorder, so unfortunately I've also inherited some fear of people and feelings of inadequacy from him. Because of that it's been almost impossible to find a job where I'd feel comfortable. Anyways, can anybody suggest a job where one doesn't have to be good at math or science? thanks!

Reply - Report abuse

mary in Tampa, Florida

73 months ago

Anyways, can anybody suggest a job where one doesn't have to be good at math or science? thanks!

Careeers are court reporting (but you have to build the talent), scoping for court reporters. Good money.

Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

mary in Tampa, Florida said: Anyways, can anybody suggest a job where one doesn't have to be good at math or science? thanks!

Careeers are court reporting (but you have to build the talent), scoping for court reporters. Good money.

Thanks, Mary. Do you know if there are still court reporting jobs out there? Scoping would be perfect, but I don't even know where to start. Do you know if there are jobs? Does one need to go to court reporting school for that, too?

Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

I just read that the drop-out rate for court reporting school is 92%. wow.

Reply - Report abuse

Nikki in Pittston, Pennsylvania

73 months ago

I think Ive met my soulmates!!! LOL

Give me my books and the world could evaporate and I wouldnt give a crap!! Is there a job that pays you to read stuff that you like that's already published? That would rock. Thats pretty much all that Im interested in.

My dad left to house sit while he and my stepmom went on vacation for two weeks. They live out in the boonies where we only have 2 neighbors. I took vacation then so I could be totally alone. I didnt interact with anyone the whole time. I was wonderful. Best vacation I ever had and didnt even have to leave the house.

Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

book reviewer. but I'd guess it's pretty lucrative. script reader. proofreader at publishing house. all would be dream jobs for me, too.

Reply - Report abuse

Pigbitin Mad in Bronxville, New York

73 months ago

NOYB in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I was beginning to think I was the only one...

I'm an introvert myself and I hate this service driven economy where the majority of available jobs consist of talking to/waiting on clients/customers or dealing with customer service issues. If I see one more customer service/call center opening I'm going to scream. Temp agencies are just as bad as all they have are admin assistants/secertarial and customer service/data entry positions where you take customer orders over the phone. If I wanted a job where I had to listen to other people's problems all day, I would have majored in psychology/social work.

QUOTE]

If you are only 20 I recommend waiting until you are 47 to Kill yourself. That's when it all turns to crap. I had a pretty good life until then even though my career trajectory was an unmitigated disaster. The only thing holding me back is I don't want to shoot myself. But I don't know where to buy Cyanide....LOL.

They are nowhere. I am not as bad as some of you in that I can deal with a limited clientele over the phone (and I have no problems emailing people). But even those jobs are all gone. Pretty soon we will all have to change bedpans for a living. Just makes you want to give up and die.

Reply - Report abuse

Cherie in Federal Way, Washington

73 months ago

IF you like office work, I find that a lot of IT people (information technology - computer people) seem to like to stick to themselves and can make a very good living. While some interact with a lot of employees, some are mostly behind the scenes. Also, if you're good with numbers, there are accounting jobs that seem to keep people buried behind their desks. However, if you don't like an office, there are numerous things (as previously suggested) that you can do on your own - contract work, etc...

Reply - Report abuse

ping123 in Phoenix, Arizona

73 months ago

Like other said
medical technologist, IT, engineer require less people interaction.

If you want $$$$$, go get certificate for x-ray technologist. That job pays 6 digits salary!

Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

ping123 in Phoenix, Arizona said: Like other said
medical technologist, IT, engineer require less people interaction.

If you want $$$$$, go get certificate for x-ray technologist. That job pays 6 digits salary!

Certificate in x-ray does not pay that! They make $16-$20/hr. But with the market being so saturated with them, there are now zero jobs. And don't forget that they deal with patients (and bodily fluid) all day long, which defeats the whole purpose of this discussion

Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

There are excellent career choices for introverts who excel in math or sciences. But without those abilities, choices are almost non-existent for an introvert who doesn't want to have constant direct contact and is physically unable to do hard manual labor. :(

Reply - Report abuse

EDCtx in Texas

73 months ago

Medical coding

Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Grecia, Costa Rica

72 months ago

Great!!! A good way for people who do not like socializing with people to find a career for them
<a href="www.collegehelpcenter.org/">Go To College</a>

Reply - Report abuse

imthebiga in Overland Park, Kansas

72 months ago

shellster in Pawtucket, Rhode Island said: FloridaMom: I've got it - you could work in a morgue! Dude, it's perfect :o)

Seriously, I totally understand about not being a "people person" and wanting to work quietly without interruptions, phones etc. And it's not Asperger's, it's called being an introvert and there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. I don't want to deal with people most of the time, because most people are generally annoying. Ha ha, Just kidding. Maybe.

My last job started out perfect - almost no phone calls, I could listen to my MP3 all day, it was a lot of data entry but with a good mix of admin processing, my department was nice and quiet, but then towards the end my department was required to provide back up phone support to the call center (ewww!) and I became completely stressed out on a daily basis. Horrible! So, I have come to the conclusion that I thrive in a quiet work environment (no call centers! blech, lol) and hope to go back to school to pursue a new career, possibly for clinical lab tech or similar.

I recently finished reading an excellent book called "The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World" by Marti Laney. You may find it quite helpful.

Good luck to you...

I work in a clinical lab and it is DEFINITELY not a quiet work environment! I'm stressed to the max with all of the phone calls, instruments beeping, having to do all of my work perfectly in a set amount of time while dealing with all the phone calls...I hate it. Looking into graphic design myself.

Reply - Report abuse

RobInStLouis in Waterloo, Illinois

72 months ago

Breaker, breaker good buddy! You can be truck driver, see magnificent countryside, and be alone for long periods of time. Beatrucker.com can get you started at about $38,000 per year. Talked to their rep a few weeks back. Perfect for us introverts and it's an important job too. The lead time is only 4 weeks til you start earning. And it's perfect for twenty somethings without dependents. You may never get the chance to see the country like this again, without paying for it!

Reply - Report abuse

cindy in Midland, Texas

71 months ago

I have been going through hell for years trying to figure out what I would like to do as a career. I hate customer service because I hate having to be fake to customers. No I could care less if your order was wrong or you were charged more by mistake or you want me to kiss your ass. I hate people because they are so selfish and rude. Maybe I don't want to spend the rest of my life bending over backwards to make everyone happy. I want to make myself happy how about that, but what is that? With a society like ours that cater to beautiful/handsome,outgoing/stomp on you to get to the top,thin women with big boobs and muscular athletic men, and conform or else be doomed to mediocrity or worse, way of life why wouldn't we introverts be frustrated having to live amongst all of this. Can I just please live in peace while also making a living away from whiney, bitchy, egotistical,patronizing attitude, self involved babies.
I like art, travel, reading, creating things with my hands, music, singing, and just thinking. Any job out there that I can incorporate these things then I'm there like last year!

Reply - Report abuse

ann in Athens, New York

71 months ago

I hear all of your pain and am right there with you. Could be a mortician, embalmer, a grave digger,crime scene cleaner,correct papers for a teacher,type term papers for college kids for $x/page,pet sit for a service(not your own as did that. Have to do all yourself.Take care of pets,marketing,answering phones,booking assignments,meeting potential clients.),be a proof reader for publisher or author,researcher for again an author who is writing a book,an artist or photographer's model/muse,(did this for awhile),write free lance for news paper,write articles online like ezine. Answer how to or yahoo answers on variety of topics,blog and mention businesses enjoy or their products for barter like a link to my site,get free samples,distribute flyers for a business to get word out about them(I did this and made $50),lecture on a topic you know something or feel strongly about(I did on living Green),work with horses,feeding them,fixing shoes,make jewelry from home. I do this and sell it at fairs,fests,stores,flea markets. I also sell what don't want anymore. Is a fee to get in but I only go to ones that are $ 25 so I make my money back atleast. No guarantee will make anything but definitely won't make cash at home on butt doing nada. I am an entrepreneur. Have been since 1996 as I too had ingrates as employers and dealt with an obnoxious,impatient public and rude,nasty,back stabbing coworkers. A good read is How to swim with sharks without becoming one. Cheers!

Reply - Report abuse

w in Austin, Texas

70 months ago

Leah in Oregon, Wisconsin said: Hi,

"I Totally... Understand.. and am not a people person either.. can't stand to work with others to be honest.. Yes .. I can help you and offer you positive.. alternatives. There is nothing wrong with you.. a grown adult would know.. if they had autism.. I am not sure.. what state your in.. I took this WISC test. I am Artistic.. all the way.. as you may also be! Artist people are loners.. Writers.. and Fine Artist are examples of this.. just look back into history. I am in the process of becoming a screen writer.. but.. I too am here... to see what I can do in the meantime.. There are many short term career paths you can take at a Votech or Community College. Game Animation... is Huge.. On the rise and in demand.. You can work or arrange to work on your own and get top dollar .. over 70 grand. Graphic Design or Kitchen/bathroom design/CAD.. is another option. Land Surveying..Real Estate Appraising..Inspectors.. Repair Person.. Electrician.. Plumber.. Not that they are artistic.. lol ..just ideas.. you could work in animal control or a zoo. You can do cartooning.. or archetectural drawing. You could build..homes.. carpentry.. forest ranger..game warden..Wild Life jobs..Animal trainer.. You could become a writer.. a script writer.. you could become an actor. You could be a camera person.. HUGS

actors have to deal with people a lot.

Reply - Report abuse

serena

68 months ago

serena said: If you do not really like people you sure as hades are not going to want to clean up after them ugh.! What a suggestion.

Try Data processing for the military base..Worked for me.!

Reply - Report abuse

Benbrook in Fort Worth, Texas

68 months ago

I can relate to everything you are saying about not being a "people person".
I've looked into this issue a lot over the years , and it boils down to this
look around and you will see employment that doesn't require a lot of public contact . In fact, Software Engineering is one of the top paying careers
that fits into this category at over 90K a year average. Another great pick is
Forensic Science . Police and Sheriff Depts. around the country can always use those . These are jobs that have been highly in demand for years and remain so today. Given the uptick in drugs and crime in many localities this is guaranteed to be a winner . Animal science is another idea to consider. Being a Horse Trainer , Equine Medicine is all popular in my area. Air Traffic Controllers only talk to pilots, eliminating 90 percent of the public contact issue as well.
The Federal Government and F.A.A. can give you some guidance on that. Controllers make over 6 figure incomes as well.

Hope these ideas help.---

Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Millbrae, California

68 months ago

Forgive the lengthy post, but here's the thing: unless you are lucky enough to become a forest ranger or scientist in some remote Antarctic outpost, you are going to *have* to deal with people on a fairly regular basis. If you don't learn some basic coping skills, not only will you be miserable whenever you have to deal with co-workers or clients, but you'll probably be let go after being treated cruelly by some. I wish this were not the case. When I take the Myers-Briggs test, I score around a 98 on introversion, so I am an extreme introvert, and happy to be (when I am left alone). Through a social boot camp of sorts (hanging out in the pub every day) for the past seven years has taught me some guerrilla social skills (how to deflect attention from myself, how to take a compliment, how to hold my own in an argument or just a "discussion", how to greet others in a friendly manner without inviting them to further intimacy). I recommend doing something like this to all of us who would otherwise be perfectly happy to see people once a year when they deliver supplies to our cabin in the woods. Offices are hell. Schools are hell. Retail establishments are hell. We *have* to focus on self-protection and learn to get by in these environments (which includes how to get away from them whenever possible). You will NOT avoid people by doing anything that takes place in an office (accountant, HA! constant stream of people interrupting you). Or a courtroom. Or a university. Even if you work as a "consultant", this means you are forced to meet new people all the time! Sure, you can do work from home sometimes, but is it worth it? And if you are a writer, do you think your book will promote itself? You'll have to get out "there" and sell yourself. I wish I had the perfect answer to our job prayers, but it doesn't exist. We have to adapt to a certain extent.

Reply - Report abuse

lihingmui in Kihei, Hawaii

68 months ago

You have a lot of options.

But you need to provide more info.

For example:

1. How much do you hate people? Maybe your job requires too much interaction and so you feel like you never want to have to talk to another soul ever again. But go on an isolated vacation for a month and maybe you'd feel differently. I don't prefer to work with people, but I still need some human interaction.

2. Do you prefer to work with ideas or things?

3. Do you prefer to work indoors or outdoors?

4. Do you need recognition? Independence? Job Security? to be happy?

5. What does "meaningful work" mean to you?

6. Salary requirements?

7. Do you need to specialize or prefer to be more of a generalist?

Considering reading Nicholas Lore's book The Pathfinder.

Believe it or not, I've met introverted engineers, doctors, lawyers, trade workers, business owners. To give an example of how these variables come into play, the intro or extroverted specialist engineer might enjoy becoming an expert in a specific niche of engineering while the extroverted generalist engineer might end up a sales engineer.

Reply - Report abuse

Diane in San José, Costa Rica

68 months ago

Very good comments, I really like when all the people participated in discuss like this!!
<a href="sarchi.es/">Sarchi</a>

Reply - Report abuse

Ritah in Phelps, Kentucky

68 months ago

Wow, I thought I was among only a few people on this planet that don't like to work around or be around alot of people at all times. In my job, I am CONSTANTLY around people and I feel like people are watching me to get a feel for me (because I'm so quiet) and I'm SO extremely sick of it! I mean, I love my job to death and what I do but it's just that I can't stand the "politics" that go along with having this certain type of job. You always have to "put on a happy face" even when you're not feeling like talking or interacting with others. In my experience, people just think I'm stuck up but, boy, when I get home it's like the total opposite of when I'm at work. Like someone said earlier, I just wish I had some kind of job where I was behind a computer all day doing data entry or something and the fewer people I had to deal with, the better....

Reply - Report abuse

artzstuf in Albany, New York

67 months ago

hear you. I find all jobs have aspects of them that we don't like,even working for your self! I am an artist/jewelry designer/maker/seller. I am very happy 'creating' but sitting around at the flea markets,fairs,fests in the hot sun and heat for hours can get old quick. I bring something with me though to do to pass the time like fix jewelry or make some more,knit,paint and wear head phones. This also makes me stand out amongst my competition,other vendors who might also be selling hand made jewelry!

Reply - Report abuse

ktovbin84 in Dallas, Texas

67 months ago

FloridaMom1026 in Orlando, Florida said: I don't have Aspergers. I am neurotypical. Thanks

I am too! I must be crazy!

Reply - Report abuse

Bob in Ocean Springs, Mississippi

67 months ago

A silent Monk of the Church, or perhaps an engineer. At worst a Hermit. Security guard, very lonely (nights). A guru on a mountaintop or a Scholor professor. A mailman. Independent farmer. Work at a Lighthouse, or get a job in Alaska. However, remember the more isolated you are the more nice and up close folks are. Have you ever heard of how lonely someone is walking in downtown NY?

Reply - Report abuse

denise in San Antonio, Texas

67 months ago

Surgical Technoligist... you will have to go to tech school in most cases.... BUT you work with people who are asleep, and usually in quiet enviorment.... I LOVE IT!

Reply - Report abuse

Violet in Phoenix, Arizona

67 months ago

Hi, I've never posted comments online before, but I also prefer to work alone and keep to myself most of the time. Too bad people have to label you for it....I do have close friends but they "get" me and don't mind if I don't want to socialize for months at a time. Just wanted to say I spend most summers as a fire lookout, and it's GREAT! Just me and my dog and my books and my camera for three to four months. I am stationed, by request, at the most remote tower in my district...there is no road to it, not even a trail so visitors don't come by. Twice lost hunters found their way to me but that is rare. The supply chopper comes every three weeks for a few minutes. Other than than that, solitary bliss! The rest of the year I clean buildings at night. Not glamorous, I know, but I don't mind. I can bring my dog, make my own hours, and be totally alone. Getting into a lookout position takes persistance but it can be done. Just keep applying through the USFS website and call the district manager in the area you want to work in to keep your name in his/her mind. I got in the second summer I applied. If I could do it all year, I would! Good luck to all you other loners out there!

Reply - Report abuse

saraH in Park Ridge, Illinois

67 months ago

I feel exactly the same way! So glad to see I am not the only one! I definiately am an introverted person and have been struggling with finding the right job ever since my teenage years. And here I am again, desperately looking for another job, since I have to pay the bills, and the only options out there that are available are call centers, office, and customer service jobs. I am so frustrated. I can't afford to go to school, and my experience is in customer service and office because those were the only jobs I was ever able to get, even though I have a BA. I HATE those jobs so much!! Just thinking that once again I will have to go for something I hate because I need money makes me sick!! I feel stuck in a vicious cycle!! All of the suggestions made in the posts are pretty good, but would require me to go back to school which I can't afford right now. Like the rest of you, I am a young and talented individual that is very capable but totally unappreciated cause Im not outgoing and always happy and talk a lot. And my husband totally doesn't understand that I am an introvert and hate those jobs, all he cares about is that I find something soon, and keeps offering me jobs through his friends which are the office hell jobs!!

I know what would be the perfect job for me, but it is usually volunteer work and VERY difficult to get into -> rescue, any type, wilderness, water, air, whatever....that is my passion and I know I would be very good at it, but can't make a living doing that :(

Reply - Report abuse

Krona in Longmont, Colorado

67 months ago

Fed Up. in Wichita, Kansas said: Seriously, I don't think the people who are suggesting a library have been in one for the past twenty years. That's the last time it would have been a good position for someone who is an introvert.

Now they are busy trying to convert them to community centers and video for drunks and people who won't read because it's haaaaard. I'm not even going to be nice about it. I loathe my job in the library every single day and I work very, very hard as I do jobs for at least two people because they wont hire anyone to replace people who leave. They just roll the work into the next position handy.

It's a combination of the worst "work" of money counting and putting things away from retail, the worst "customer service" experiences you can imagine from a call center and bill collecting. Plus no one actually respects you and (obviously) everyone thinks your job is filled with fun and joy.

Do NOT go into the library field.

"Now they are busy trying to convert them to community centers and video for drunks and people who won't read because it's haaaaard."

Gotta have a dumbed down populace. Far easier to control.

Reply - Report abuse

Violet

67 months ago

SarahH, just in case you missed my post, I would try fire lookout. It did take me two years, you apply in April usually, but I bugged the district manager in the area I wanted to get in to and I got in, and it's an awesome job for loners! Find out what the more remote towers are, some that are not do tend to get visitors, mine never does. I have no college so you would have a great shot. I would apply to several states. A lot of people with spouses and older children do it, you are gone for a few months and most of them get unemployment for the rest of the year. Also I clean on the off months. It's not too bad, very flexible and I go in at night and am all alone. I also did security for a number of years, again you have to find the right position. Some deal with people but I told them I needed to study so I got night positions where I was totally alone. I loved it! Not great pay though. The Forest Service does pay well and there is lots of overtime. I didn't go this summer but I want to go back next summer so already contacted my manager. FYI you do have to talk on the radio some, call in each morning and out each evening and of course report on weather and smokes and talk to the pilots some when they are coming with your supplies. But it's 99% alone in the wilderness. And you can bring your dog/s if you have them. At least in my district they flew my dog up with me. One girl even brings her toddler and baby but she of course is in a tower with a road in case she needs it. Anyway, just some ideas. It's worth it to keep applying, once you are in, you're in! Oh, and you can apply all over....I'm was in Iowa when I first got into a tower, in Idaho. Good luck with whatever you do!

Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Violet said: SarahH, just in case you missed my post, I would try fire lookout. It did take me two years, you apply in April usually, but I bugged the district manager in the area I wanted to get in to and I got in, and it's an awesome job for loners! Find out what the more remote towers are, some that are not do tend to get visitors, mine never does. I have no college so you would have a great shot. I would apply to several states. A lot of people with spouses and older children do it, you are gone for a few months and most of them get unemployment for the rest of the year. Also I clean on the off months. It's not too bad, very flexible and I go in at night and am all alone. I also did security for a number of years, again you have to find the right position. Some deal with people but I told them I needed to study so I got night positions where I was totally alone. I loved it! Not great pay though. The Forest Service does pay well and there is lots of overtime. I didn't go this summer but I want to go back next summer so already contacted my manager. FYI you do have to talk on the radio some, call in each morning and out each evening and of course report on weather and smokes and talk to the pilots some when they are coming with your supplies. But it's 99% alone in the wilderness. And you can bring your dog/s if you have them. At least in my district they flew my dog up with me. One girl even brings her toddler and baby but she of course is in a tower with a road in case she needs it. Anyway, just some ideas. It's worth it to keep applying, once you are in, you're in! Oh, and you can apply all over....I'm was in Iowa when I first got into a tower, in Idaho. Good luck with whatever you do!

Thanks Violet, I'll definietely check it out. I love nature and the great outdoors!

Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Violet said: SarahH, just in case you missed my post, I would try fire lookout. It did take me two years, you apply in April usually, but I bugged the district manager in the area I wanted to get in to and I got in, and it's an awesome job for loners! Find out what the more remote towers are, some that are not do tend to get visitors, mine never does. I have no college so you would have a great shot. I would apply to several states. A lot of people with spouses and older children do it, you are gone for a few months and most of them get unemployment for the rest of the year. Also I clean on the off months. It's not too bad, very flexible and I go in at night and am all alone. I also did security for a number of years, again you have to find the right position. Some deal with people but I told them I needed to study so I got night positions where I was totally alone. I loved it! Not great pay though. The Forest Service does pay well and there is lots of overtime. I didn't go this summer but I want to go back next summer so already contacted my manager. FYI you do have to talk on the radio some, call in each morning and out each evening and of course report on weather and smokes and talk to the pilots some when they are coming with your supplies. But it's 99% alone in the wilderness. And you can bring your dog/s if you have them. At least in my district they flew my dog up with me. One girl even brings her toddler and baby but she of course is in a tower with a road in case she needs it. Anyway, just some ideas. It's worth it to keep applying, once you are in, you're in! Oh, and you can apply all over....I'm was in Iowa when I first got into a tower, in Idaho. Good luck with whatever you do!

Thanks Violet, I'll definietely check it out! I love nature and the great outdoors.

Reply - Report abuse

ALISTENER in Miami, Florida

66 months ago

----------------------------
OK... seens like you did not find your pasion in live yet. First, in my opinion you have to concentrate in what you like, which it is nor in your comments, and try to get information in different careers following your own path in life. Why you want me to tell you what's outher if you do't know what's inside you?

Reply - Report abuse

Rio in Mannheim, Germany

66 months ago

I think we should all just start a business together, and be happy in our quiet little office where no one has to be fake or obnoxious!
As a fellow introvert, working in healthcare I cannot tell you how many times I got in trouble with my boss from patient complaints. It was always the same thing, she doesn't seem happy. Just because I don't smile from ear to ear like some psycho, doesn't mean I'm not happy!!

Reply - Report abuse

Violet in Portland, Oregon

66 months ago

"Once my bills are paid and I am able to have financial peace of mind, I can devote time and energy to my passion."

SaraH- this is definitely true for me and for most people, I think...even my friends who are well off and like their work have passions they can only indulge in when they are off work. Just having a job we don't dread is huge :)!

I have a friend then does medical coding, I saw it mentioned earlier, but this friend does it at home. She says it's done more and more from home and she makes a living at it. She's done it for years, I don't know what the pay would start at, but it's something I'm looking at. Good luck! Wish I could sent you pics of "my" fire tower and corner of the wilderness, it's paradise for a loner!

Reply - Report abuse

Jean in Mesa, Arizona

66 months ago

Excellent information and comments. Thank you everyone. I am doing a job search now. I have virtually always worked in some type of customer contact capacity from Human Resources Officer to call center rep. I like helping people but the standard office environment wears me out. I am determined to do work I love and I am no spring chicken. Life is too short to do something all day long that you hate. I may take a call center, pet hospital receptionist, or zoo assistant job to live on while I figure out what I want to do. I know I can do "a" job to support myself while I figure out what interests me. It's like being a college student--it is a temporary situation. You are just setting your own curriculum.

FYI: I worked as a museum registrar once. I worked by myself all day with artifacts and a pc. I worked for a small museum where they taught me what to do. It was interesting and heaven. You might start by volunteering at a museum that interests you--art, science, aviation, history, military.

Also, check out the state/county/city employment center in your area for free assistance in everything from aptitude tests to resume writing. There is a federal program called WIA (Workforce Investment Act). I'm not an expert on it but here's the link. You can apply for funds to attend school. www.doleta.gov/usworkforce/wia/act.cfm

Reply - Report abuse

Flatulent Elephant in La Mesa, California

66 months ago

I work for an agriculture dept. checking insect traps in fruit trees all day long. Great job for an introvert! There's occasional questions from homeowners, & a small amount of contact w/co-workers @ the beginning & end of each day, but for the most part I am on my own & it is a pretty relaxing, easy job. Plus, when you're outside of work & people ask you what you do for a living & you say you're a "trapper", it's fun to watch their reactions. ;-)

Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Madison, New Jersey

66 months ago

Nice to see that I'm not alone in this. I work in a pseudo-IT job right now and I'm fine with the level of social interaction in which I'm required to engage, but there's absolutely no room for advancement where I'm at presently (despite the claims to the contrary by the department that absorbed mine two years ago) and my sole co-worker in the office is an absolute nightmare to deal with (unqualified, lazy, etc.).

The problem I've found with looking for jobs in the IT field is that it's such a broad-reaching description that I have no clue how to narrow down specifically what to look for. I've never programmed before (well, I used to program in BASIC when I was 4, but that doesn't exactly count), which sucks because it sounds like being a programmer would be more my speed. I just want to do something where I can take at least some pride and satisfaction in my work again and I feel like I'm running out of time to do that.

Reply - Report abuse

Laura in Frederick, Maryland

66 months ago

I feel exactly how you feel!! My only job experience is retail and I want out so badly but don't know what I want to do. Fortunately I found a job recently that ables me to be creative and merchandise clothes but I have to deal with incompetent managers that scream at there employees on a daily basis. So now I am looking for another job but clueless as to what to look for. I envy people who know what their passion in life is. I just think its really hard when your an introvert because almost all the jobs out their want you to be super happy and talkative which I am totally not :(

Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Laura, I know it may be frustrating to not know what your passion is, but this is the first step in figuting it out :) Start exploring, start discovering what you like, and what you love to do. It is a process and a journey which is worth taking. Best of luck to you!!

Reply - Report abuse

fooooooo in Omaha, Nebraska

66 months ago

denise in San Antonio, Texas said: Surgical Technoligist... you will have to go to tech school in most cases.... BUT you work with people who are asleep, and usually in quiet enviorment.... I LOVE IT!

Yeah that's what I thought. But, you still have to deal with the surgeon and nurse, medical students, residents.. and then when you're not scrubbed in and sitting in the break room, they're all sitting around talking and I'm trying to hide in the corner with a book. Talking takes too much energy, can't I find a job where I don't have to put on an act everyday!?

Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.