Careers for people who "don't like people"

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 680)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

officewithoutdoors in Columbia, South Carolina

46 months ago

Samuel Pichardo in North Miami, Florida said: Nice lol -

Kinda hard to believe. If they're helping you find jobs, shouldn't they be getting their up-front cut of your hourly wage from those who are hiring, like all temp companies do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John Shivoney in Middle Island, New York

46 months ago

BUSS DRIVER
MEDICAL BILLER
LABRITORY TECH
LAB JOBS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Joyous in Asheville, North Carolina

46 months ago

Yeah Samuel,
The link you sent was for some scam which wanted to sell me a "kit." That is not a job. And I don't trust them with my CC number.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

haley88 in Troy, Ohio

46 months ago

I can't believe no one has suggested accounting & tax preparation!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Fed Up. in Wichita, Kansas

46 months ago

Seriously, I don't think the people who are suggesting a library have been in one for the past twenty years. That's the last time it would have been a good position for someone who is an introvert.

Now they are busy trying to convert them to community centers and video for drunks and people who won't read because it's haaaaard. I'm not even going to be nice about it. I loathe my job in the library every single day and I work very, very hard as I do jobs for at least two people because they wont hire anyone to replace people who leave. They just roll the work into the next position handy.

It's a combination of the worst "work" of money counting and putting things away from retail, the worst "customer service" experiences you can imagine from a call center and bill collecting. Plus no one actually respects you and (obviously) everyone thinks your job is filled with fun and joy.

Do NOT go into the library field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (69) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mo Money in Latham, New York

46 months ago

Dental laboratory technician $$$$$
Medical laboratory technician
Medical research $$$$$

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Mo Money in Latham, New York

46 months ago

Medical Coding
Medical Billing
Health Information Technology

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

sally sue in Bowling Green, Kentucky

45 months ago

Dvorah79 in South Bend, Indiana said: I understand where you are coming from. Here are some jobs that you may enjoy: Librarian/ library assistant, insurance underwriter/ underwriting assistant, computer science/ IT- specifically software tester, vet tech, medical lab tech, radiology tech, medical transcriptionist, technical writer, business analyst....The list goes on. Hope some of these ideas helped or sparked an interest in a particular field. Best of luck!

Librarian is a very people oriented field, they are a few jobs within there where you dont have to work with people but for the most part it's customer service mostly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jsearch in Los Angeles, California

45 months ago

I don't work in the library, but I can see what you librarian workers mean. Ever since, media and computers have come, it's just a free rental area , internet browsing, and a place for bums and drunks. They don't even accommodate quiet reading areas for students and researchers anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No Reply - Report abuse

jd in Chicago, Illinois

45 months ago

You have to just forget about a career defining you for one. And work towards your abilities. Picking a good skill set is good. All the careers I think would be fulfilling, I don't think I would be a good fit for. I hate corporate america, can't stand it. I just want to be artistic, write, and live out my life. As it is, I do web development, sure it isn't GREAT, but I know how to do it, and have a skill set. I can get clients from time to time, then put some artistic elements into it. The other thing I like is working for non profits, thing is, any job that pays well in non profits, is kind of a douchey type job, people in business suits, that kind of stuff. I would avoid it like the plague.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

amyfromar_98 in Outthere, Arkansas

45 months ago

I would just like to say that I am so very glad that there are others out there just like me!!! I've been working with the public for half of my life, every since I was old enough to start working & I am sick of it!!! It has made me dislike people, it has made me cranky, irretible, & down right mean some days. I read all these posts on here telling people to figure out what your interested in, well I've been listening to what other people are interested in for soooo long that I don't even know what I'd actually be interested in!!! How bout movies, I love tv & movies is there a job where I can get paid to watch tv? Lol I never really heard the term introvert before I read this post, but I guess you could say that's what I am. Because if I could choose to never speak to another person (other than family, friends, loved ones, etc.) again, I wouldn't!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Angie in Brooklyn, New York

45 months ago

amyfromar_98 in Outthere, Arkansas said: I would just like to say that I am so very glad that there are others out there just like me!!! I've been working with the public for half of my life, every since I was old enough to start working & I am sick of it!!! It has made me dislike people, it has made me cranky, irretible, & down right mean some days. I read all these posts on here telling people to figure out what your interested in, well I've been listening to what other people are interested in for soooo long that I don't even know what I'd actually be interested in!!! How bout movies, I love tv & movies is there a job where I can get paid to watch tv? Lol I never really heard the term introvert before I read this post, but I guess you could say that's what I am. Because if I could choose to never speak to another person (other than family, friends, loved ones, etc.) again, I wouldn't!!

If you want a job watching television get a job doing the closed captioning for the deaf. They teach it in court stenography schools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

laura6 in State College, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

I am too quiet not really smiley and outgoing and don't enjoy working with the public. I am not saying I hate people it's just the only job I've ever had was working in retail for about 8yrs and let me just say...no thanks...been there...seen it all...and need a change asap. My only problem is I don't know what I want to do. I think I am artistic but I don't write or draw. I am terrible at math, English, and science. The only class I ever enjoyed going to was art class but I have no idea what I would do with that. I am just so confused with life!!! Please help if anyone would have any ideas!! Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jerold in Chicago, Illinois

45 months ago

I work in IT and work from home. IT is somewhere (outside of support) you won't have to deal with many people. I found the environment was even more than I would want to deal with, so I worked my ass off so I could work from home I like being out in nature, and just living out my life. If I could just live on a farm with some animals and not have to supplement income I would do that. The entire wage slave system is pretty bogus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

amy in Lufkin, Texas

44 months ago

Thanks for the advice on NOT becoming a librarian. I was actually considering that for a career choice. Not only am I an introvert, but I am also NOT good at math AT ALL so IT, accounting, finance things like that would not be something I could do. I have returned to college to finish my degree. I've chosen History as a field of study. I figure with teaching, I would spend most of my time with a certain group of people as opposed to the general public. Also, I would not have to answer a telephone. The phone is the main thing I hate about my job right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Anon in Bakersfield, California

44 months ago

Accounting has changed over the years. I have a stupid AS degree in accounting that ended up being a waste of my time. The accounting field is full of arrogance. If you go all the way up and become a CPA, you're gonna be working with people all day long. If you do income taxes, you're gonna be working with a lot of people as well. Bookkeeping is okay, but it's really hard to get into right now, and even after you pass the test, you still have to work somewhere for some 3,000 hours before you become actually certified. How do you become employed as a bookkeeper (in this economy) without being certified? And how will you ever become certified without being employed? The answer is that you can't. I still get emails and mail from the AIPB trying to sell me their crap. That's not very legitimate or professional. The accounting profession has become such a joke in the last 30 years with all the scandals in "Corporate America". And if you are female, you will definately be expected to answer phones and be all talkative and nurturing as a bookkeeper or any type of accounting clerk. As a business strategy, companies like to have as many breasts as they can where the public can see them. I strongly urge everyone to stay away from accounting unless you are arrogant, enjoy bulls***ing people, and don't mind being pressured to do things that can put you in jail and jeopardize your license. I just want people to be fairly warned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anon in Bakersfield, California

44 months ago

Accounting has changed over the years. I have a stupid AS degree in accounting that ended up being a waste of my time. The accounting field is full of arrogance. If you go all the way up and become a CPA, you're gonna be working with people all day long. If you do income taxes, you're gonna be working with a lot of people as well. Bookkeeping is okay, but it's really hard to get into right now, and even after you pass the test, you still have to work somewhere for some 3,000 hours before you become actually certified. How do you become employed as a bookkeeper (in this economy) without being certified? And how will you ever become certified without being employed? The answer is that you can't. I still get emails and mail from the AIPB trying to sell me their crap. That's not very legitimate or professional. The accounting profession has become such a joke in the last 30 years with all the scandals in "Corporate America". And if you are female, you will definately be expected to answer phones and be all talkative and nurturing as a bookkeeper or any type of accounting clerk. As a business strategy, companies like to have as many breasts as they can where the public can see them. I strongly urge everyone to stay away from accounting unless you are arrogant, enjoy bulls***ing people, and don't mind being pressured to do things that can put you in jail and jeopardize your license. I just want people to be fairly warned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Mesa, Arizona

44 months ago

Shelia T in Sanger, California said: Ever see that movie Office Space? Well, the main character hated his job and all I could think about while watching it was how much I wish I had that job!! I'd love to sit at a desk in a cubicle and do data entry type busy work. Having a non customer service oriented job would be a dream come true for me! Where are those types of jobs??

So far, I've only ever excelled at being a student. I didn't have to talk to anyone and I could go to class, listen to lectures, be surrounded by people, but never have to worry about interacting with them. I sometimes wish I were more social but I've found my social outlet online. I just wish I could find a job to fit me.

Does anyone know of any data entry jobs that you can do from home that isn't a scam? I wonder if there's a job listing site for introverts... Now, that's an idea... Someone run with it!

Hi Shelia,

The guys in Office Space were computer programmers. They wrote and debugged programs, they did not manually enter data into tables. If you like that kind of thing maybe try learning C++ (either on your own or in a class at a local college). I just want to warn you though that its a type of skilled labor, its not just basic secretarial work like data entry. You have to be able to think logically, organize data in your mind, and figure out clever solutions to conventional problems. If that sounds like a job you might like, then definitely check it out. I just wanted to warn you that its not just basic data entry. There's no reason to pay people 70K/year to enter data. A high school kid could easily do that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tina in Cleveland, Ohio

44 months ago

I am an extrovert and I do like people for the most part, yet as the years go by I find that I would rather work alone. I just feel that there are less distractions. I also think that this concept of multi-tasking is BS! There is no way a human being is programed in this manner. A job is best done when it is given ones full attention.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Canton, Ohio

43 months ago

Dvorah79 in South Bend, Indiana said: I understand where you are coming from. Here are some jobs that you may enjoy: Librarian/ library assistant, insurance underwriter/ underwriting assistant, computer science/ IT- specifically software tester, vet tech, medical lab tech, radiology tech, medical transcriptionist, technical writer, business analyst....The list goes on. Hope some of these ideas helped or sparked an interest in a particular field. Best of luck!

Ummm... not to be rude, but have you ever actually worked as a vet tech???? NOT a job for someone who wants to be left alone to do their thing at work!!! You are constantly being hounded by the doctors to do this or that, you also have to work very well in a team (ever tried to restrain an uncooperative patient and draw blood, administer vaccines, etc by yourself??? it is at least a 2 person job... sometimes 3.) And a very large part of your job is interacting with clients: scheduling appointments, giving updates on their hospitalized pets, explaining vaccines, flea prevention, heartworm testing and prevention, etc.

Seriously, if you think working with just the public is bad, try working with a veterinarian! They are some of the most high maintenance, anal retentive, demanding people I've ever met, and many are known to throw fits like a little child when things don't go exactly their way.

As an introverted person, do you really want to deal w/ that on a daily basis???

I know I am certainly getting very sick of it, and I just graduated from tech school and got into the field 2 yrs ago. Already trying to figure out what I want to go back to school for.

To the OP: I wish I could offer some help, but as stated I am currently trying to figure out what career to pursue as well. Though in my case, I don't want to work completely alone... I am along the lines of the earlier post someone made about the jobs in the movie "Office Space"? Work alone, socialize on break. =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nyxalinth in Denver, Colorado

43 months ago

I'm an introvert too, with a call center background. I hate it like mad. I used to keep trying to get into the gA side of things, but never could. right now, call center work is a means to an end for me. Soon as I figure out what I really want and get into it, I am so out of there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ethiope in Fredericksburg, Virginia

43 months ago

RobInStLouis in Waterloo, Illinois said: You are either EXTROverted (the correct spelling) or introverted, not both. You are one or the other, but most people can adapt with practice. But as a true introvert you will need to find time to back off of a social task and recharge. Phone selling is a social task. Extroverts feed off of the social interaction of a phone call or sales/social event. They are powered by social interaction, which is why they make great salesmen as long as they are practiced, polished, and say the right things. As an introvert I think that I could go a week without any social interaction. It has been said that extroverts speak before they think (some foot-in-mouth disease here), and introverts think before they speak (thus more quiet). If you are indeed both, there is medication for that....
The Myers-Briggs test is the gold standard. They swear that there are no right or wrong answers. It's a lie when it determines your fate in the job market, or forbid, your current job to see if you are right for it (happened to me). Extroverted Salesmen = $100K per year. Introverted data entry person = $10 per hour. Pigeonholing at its best!

Actually, that's not true. ExtrAversion (it can be spelled either way) and introversion are a continuum and some people fall right in the middle. All of us has some of both and we tend to call ourselves introverted or extraverted depending on which part of continuum we fall on most of the time. I am to the introverted side of middle, but I sometimes seem very extraverted to the point where there are people that will argue with me that I'm not introverted. That's also because they think introverted people are all shrinking violets who are shy and I'm definitely not.

You said you could go a week without any social interaction. I couldn't. But we're both introverts. I can go about a day and a half before I feel the need to socialize. But, I'm very particular about with whom and how I socialize.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

I think the sciences are a good place for introverts with an aptitude for that. I'm a physician and have been miserable for 15 years because I picked the wrong specialty (OB/GYN - everyone wants to you to be all excited all the time about babies) and I've been in private practice where I've had to go from room to room interacting with people all day. I've spent a lot of time looking for something different, and just started a job part-time working from home where I review cases for hospitals. I still have to talk to people on the phone, but considering my level of introversion, having some human contact is good. It makes up only about 20 percent of my time which is a good balance for me. I still see patients 3 days a week, but I'm working on transitioning out of that completely. I'm also working on working with a company that does research to find alternatives to animal testing where I think I'd be doing even more pure thinking type of work. I'd have to go on Capitol Hill though, and I don't know how I feel about that.

But, I think if I had it to do all over, I'd go more the research route. That seems to be a path made for introverts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jdjd in Chicago, Illinois

43 months ago

Eh sure your an introvert? I can go weeks without social interaction. I enjoy a book more than a handful of a few people. The only reason I am social at all is because I have a girlfriend. I used to dream of being in the mountains or a remote island in solitude with my dog...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

jdjd in Chicago, Illinois said: Eh sure your an introvert? I can go weeks without social interaction. I enjoy a book more than a handful of a few people. The only reason I am social at all is because I have a girlfriend. I used to dream of being in the mountains or a remote island in solitude with my dog...

Yes, I'm definitely an introvert, I'm just closer to the middle than you sound like you are. Overall, most of the time, I get overwhelmed after too much interaction with people and I need to be alone to regain my energy, which is really all that being an introvert is at its core. And, when I do want interaction I want meaningful interaction mostly in a one-on-one or maybe two-on-one situation. By definition, if something is a continuum then some people are going to have that trait to the extreme and some people not as much. I just fall into the not as much category but I'm introverted enough to have been miserable having to deal with patient after patient all day long and into the night.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

jdjd in Chicago, Illinois

43 months ago

Aye gotcha... Yeah I have taken the online one and I am INFP with 90% Introvert... 38% Intuitive, 62% Feeling, 44% Perceiving. I am the same on the real MBTI.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

jdjd in Chicago, Illinois said: Aye gotcha... Yeah I have taken the online one and I am INFP with 90% Introvert... 38% Intuitive, 62% Feeling, 44% Perceiving. I am the same on the real MBTI.

I'm an INFP too. I tried to find my percentages, but can't find them, but I think I'm in the 60-something% introvert range.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

red harring in Toledo, Ohio

43 months ago

You can be a janitor, if you don't mind cleaning toilets. The pay isn't so great. Some places offer single man accounts, if your lucky.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

MrGetEmployed in Honolulu, Hawaii

43 months ago

FloridaMom1026 in Orlando, Florida said: Hello all,

What are some good career paths for someone who is not a "people person". I am not one of those smiley, happy, outgoing people. I like to sit at my desk and work and be left alone. I don't like dealing with the public. I absolutely HATE phones, answering calls or making calls. Please don't say data entry because 1) it only pays $9 or $10 an hour and 2)it's boring. I want something with some variety, where there is always plenty of work to do and I don't have to do busywork like filing or making copies. I want to go back to school and get a degree but I don't know what path to take. Thanks.

I would suggest looking into becoming a park ranger/forestry professional. These folks work outdoors as well as have limited interaction with people. Another option would be to become a auto mechanic as the interaction with other people is somewhat limited with the car being the main focus. There are jobs that have limited interaction with people but in today's day and age these jobs are very few and far between. Possibly investigating the merchant marine might be something of value to you as well. Spending all your time on a ship away from land does create somewhat of an isolated existence – which may be what you are looking for. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

michaelb in East Hartford, Connecticut

43 months ago

TarniD in Carlisle, Indiana said: Wow! I have been feeling like a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. Great to see other people are like me, a loner and not liking to work with other people. I have been finding that, as a woman, there are limitations to jobs that accommodate my personality. The "home remodeling" path has been one I have found most success with. As long as you don't claim to be a contractor, which requires a license, you can do just about any job within the construction field. I do small home repairs, painting, cleaning all on a one-woman basis and charge a decent hourly wage. I move around the country a lot and find that these jobs, even in this economy, are plentiful. Recently, an electrician has hired me to crawl under homes to check wiring. Just be creative (artist, if you will) in your job search and you may be surprised. Good luck all of you!

Hey Tarni, I'm totally with you. I started a one man garage door sales and service business 12 years ago so I can work alone. It's been great but I'm getting bored and need to make more money. Now I'm faced with the prospect of working with people again. (#*&$^*!!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

robjones@htc.net in Waterloo, Illinois

42 months ago

Sharon T. Knox in Manchester, New Hampshire said: Indeed.com,

You HAVE to take all adds from Crystal Wireless Limited off your site. I was just scammed by them.
With an email from 'Rose Clarkson' about a month ago, I was enticed with a job, posted on your site, for an Admin Asst. for $25/hr. I was told as part of the interview, or orientation, that I would be getting a check that I had to deposit, wait until it cleared, then Western Union that amount (minus $150 for my trouble, to someone in Perri, CA.
Well, I did that. I got a check for 965.78. I deposited it in my account, waited until it cleared, and wired the money as instructed.
Guess what, when the check fully cleared (that takes 5-10 days) there was 'insufficient funds' and now my personal account is overdrawn, but the guy, Jamal Anderson, has his money. Or should I say MY money. And Rose Clarkson is nowhere to be found, big surprise.
I am unemployed and had to sell a camera lens and my Bose radio to get that rent money. Now I have neither.
Indeed.com...I love you guys, but I cannot continue to visit, and use, your site with these practices. I cannot be the only one scammed from your site.
Unfortunately for you I am reporting this, and telling everyone I know, posting it everywhere I can, about your irresponsible behavior. I will never trust anything from you again.
Do some checki

This scam has been around for a long time. You need to arm yourself with knowledge of scams, especially in your vulnerable position. Hey, I would have kept the $965 if it were legit and told him to kiss off. Nobody is going to pay you $25 an hour to cash checks. And Western Union - well that is red flag in itself!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tuscano in New Brunswick, Connecticut

42 months ago

What are some good career paths for someone who is not a "people person". I am not one of those smiley, happy, outgoing people. I like to sit at my desk and work and be left alone. I don't like dealing with the public. I absolutely HATE phones, answering calls or making calls. Please don't say data entry because 1) it only pays $9 or $10 an hour and 2)it's boring. I want something with some variety, where there is always plenty of work to do and I don't have to do busywork like filing or making copies. I want to go back to school and get a degree but I don't know what path to take. Thanks.

If I would suggest anything; if you're not a "people person" per se, and you don't like regiment; I would highly suggest any of the fields requiring research. Whether it's statistical, fact finding, or averaging I think you'll find a level of excitement in how obscure pieces of information combined with math, facts, and intuition can keep you busy, and you'd probably be well suited for it.

I'd probably also suggest graphic arts, such as desktop publishing, editing, and proofing.

Just a couple of thoughts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nikki Neutron in Arlington, Texas

41 months ago

You might be interested in becoming an ART Therapist or a Recreation Therapist.
Rec therapists require Bachelors while Art Therapy may require a Masters degree in some areas.
Your best bet would be to call around some of the larger hospitals and ask to speak to an ART/RECreation therapist. Interview them about their career and ask if you can shadow them.

laura6 in State College, Pennsylvania said: I am too quiet not really smiley and outgoing and don't enjoy working with the public. I am not saying I hate people it's just the only job I've ever had was working in retail for about 8yrs and let me just say...no thanks...been there...seen it all...and need a change asap. My only problem is I don't know what I want to do. I think I am artistic but I don't write or draw. I am terrible at math, English, and science. The only class I ever enjoyed going to was art class but I have no idea what I would do with that. I am just so confused with life!!! Please help if anyone would have any ideas!! Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Chloe in Minneapolis, Minnesota

41 months ago

I'm an introvert, as well. I greatly enjoyed reading all of the comments here. Thank you all for sharing. My father has Avoidant Personality Disorder, so unfortunately I've also inherited some fear of people and feelings of inadequacy from him. Because of that it's been almost impossible to find a job where I'd feel comfortable. Anyways, can anybody suggest a job where one doesn't have to be good at math or science? thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Tampa, Florida

41 months ago

Anyways, can anybody suggest a job where one doesn't have to be good at math or science? thanks!

Careeers are court reporting (but you have to build the talent), scoping for court reporters. Good money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

mary in Tampa, Florida said: Anyways, can anybody suggest a job where one doesn't have to be good at math or science? thanks!

Careeers are court reporting (but you have to build the talent), scoping for court reporters. Good money.

Thanks, Mary. Do you know if there are still court reporting jobs out there? Scoping would be perfect, but I don't even know where to start. Do you know if there are jobs? Does one need to go to court reporting school for that, too?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

I just read that the drop-out rate for court reporting school is 92%. wow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nikki in Pittston, Pennsylvania

41 months ago

I think Ive met my soulmates!!! LOL

Give me my books and the world could evaporate and I wouldnt give a crap!! Is there a job that pays you to read stuff that you like that's already published? That would rock. Thats pretty much all that Im interested in.

My dad left to house sit while he and my stepmom went on vacation for two weeks. They live out in the boonies where we only have 2 neighbors. I took vacation then so I could be totally alone. I didnt interact with anyone the whole time. I was wonderful. Best vacation I ever had and didnt even have to leave the house.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

book reviewer. but I'd guess it's pretty lucrative. script reader. proofreader at publishing house. all would be dream jobs for me, too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pigbitin Mad in Bronxville, New York

41 months ago

NOYB in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I was beginning to think I was the only one...

I'm an introvert myself and I hate this service driven economy where the majority of available jobs consist of talking to/waiting on clients/customers or dealing with customer service issues. If I see one more customer service/call center opening I'm going to scream. Temp agencies are just as bad as all they have are admin assistants/secertarial and customer service/data entry positions where you take customer orders over the phone. If I wanted a job where I had to listen to other people's problems all day, I would have majored in psychology/social work.

QUOTE]

If you are only 20 I recommend waiting until you are 47 to Kill yourself. That's when it all turns to crap. I had a pretty good life until then even though my career trajectory was an unmitigated disaster. The only thing holding me back is I don't want to shoot myself. But I don't know where to buy Cyanide....LOL.

They are nowhere. I am not as bad as some of you in that I can deal with a limited clientele over the phone (and I have no problems emailing people). But even those jobs are all gone. Pretty soon we will all have to change bedpans for a living. Just makes you want to give up and die.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Cherie in Federal Way, Washington

41 months ago

IF you like office work, I find that a lot of IT people (information technology - computer people) seem to like to stick to themselves and can make a very good living. While some interact with a lot of employees, some are mostly behind the scenes. Also, if you're good with numbers, there are accounting jobs that seem to keep people buried behind their desks. However, if you don't like an office, there are numerous things (as previously suggested) that you can do on your own - contract work, etc...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

ping123 in Phoenix, Arizona

41 months ago

Like other said
medical technologist, IT, engineer require less people interaction.

If you want $$$$$, go get certificate for x-ray technologist. That job pays 6 digits salary!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

ping123 in Phoenix, Arizona said: Like other said
medical technologist, IT, engineer require less people interaction.

If you want $$$$$, go get certificate for x-ray technologist. That job pays 6 digits salary!

Certificate in x-ray does not pay that! They make $16-$20/hr. But with the market being so saturated with them, there are now zero jobs. And don't forget that they deal with patients (and bodily fluid) all day long, which defeats the whole purpose of this discussion

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

There are excellent career choices for introverts who excel in math or sciences. But without those abilities, choices are almost non-existent for an introvert who doesn't want to have constant direct contact and is physically unable to do hard manual labor. :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EDCtx in Texas

41 months ago

Medical coding

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Grecia, Costa Rica

40 months ago

Great!!! A good way for people who do not like socializing with people to find a career for them
<a href="www.collegehelpcenter.org/">Go To College</a>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

imthebiga in Overland Park, Kansas

40 months ago

shellster in Pawtucket, Rhode Island said: FloridaMom: I've got it - you could work in a morgue! Dude, it's perfect :o)

Seriously, I totally understand about not being a "people person" and wanting to work quietly without interruptions, phones etc. And it's not Asperger's, it's called being an introvert and there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. I don't want to deal with people most of the time, because most people are generally annoying. Ha ha, Just kidding. Maybe.

My last job started out perfect - almost no phone calls, I could listen to my MP3 all day, it was a lot of data entry but with a good mix of admin processing, my department was nice and quiet, but then towards the end my department was required to provide back up phone support to the call center (ewww!) and I became completely stressed out on a daily basis. Horrible! So, I have come to the conclusion that I thrive in a quiet work environment (no call centers! blech, lol) and hope to go back to school to pursue a new career, possibly for clinical lab tech or similar.

I recently finished reading an excellent book called "The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World" by Marti Laney. You may find it quite helpful.

Good luck to you...

I work in a clinical lab and it is DEFINITELY not a quiet work environment! I'm stressed to the max with all of the phone calls, instruments beeping, having to do all of my work perfectly in a set amount of time while dealing with all the phone calls...I hate it. Looking into graphic design myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

RobInStLouis in Waterloo, Illinois

40 months ago

Breaker, breaker good buddy! You can be truck driver, see magnificent countryside, and be alone for long periods of time. Beatrucker.com can get you started at about $38,000 per year. Talked to their rep a few weeks back. Perfect for us introverts and it's an important job too. The lead time is only 4 weeks til you start earning. And it's perfect for twenty somethings without dependents. You may never get the chance to see the country like this again, without paying for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cindy in Midland, Texas

39 months ago

I have been going through hell for years trying to figure out what I would like to do as a career. I hate customer service because I hate having to be fake to customers. No I could care less if your order was wrong or you were charged more by mistake or you want me to kiss your ass. I hate people because they are so selfish and rude. Maybe I don't want to spend the rest of my life bending over backwards to make everyone happy. I want to make myself happy how about that, but what is that? With a society like ours that cater to beautiful/handsome,outgoing/stomp on you to get to the top,thin women with big boobs and muscular athletic men, and conform or else be doomed to mediocrity or worse, way of life why wouldn't we introverts be frustrated having to live amongst all of this. Can I just please live in peace while also making a living away from whiney, bitchy, egotistical,patronizing attitude, self involved babies.
I like art, travel, reading, creating things with my hands, music, singing, and just thinking. Any job out there that I can incorporate these things then I'm there like last year!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (82) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ann in Athens, New York

39 months ago

I hear all of your pain and am right there with you. Could be a mortician, embalmer, a grave digger,crime scene cleaner,correct papers for a teacher,type term papers for college kids for $x/page,pet sit for a service(not your own as did that. Have to do all yourself.Take care of pets,marketing,answering phones,booking assignments,meeting potential clients.),be a proof reader for publisher or author,researcher for again an author who is writing a book,an artist or photographer's model/muse,(did this for awhile),write free lance for news paper,write articles online like ezine. Answer how to or yahoo answers on variety of topics,blog and mention businesses enjoy or their products for barter like a link to my site,get free samples,distribute flyers for a business to get word out about them(I did this and made $50),lecture on a topic you know something or feel strongly about(I did on living Green),work with horses,feeding them,fixing shoes,make jewelry from home. I do this and sell it at fairs,fests,stores,flea markets. I also sell what don't want anymore. Is a fee to get in but I only go to ones that are $ 25 so I make my money back atleast. No guarantee will make anything but definitely won't make cash at home on butt doing nada. I am an entrepreneur. Have been since 1996 as I too had ingrates as employers and dealt with an obnoxious,impatient public and rude,nasty,back stabbing coworkers. A good read is How to swim with sharks without becoming one. Cheers!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.