Consulting company had me fake my resume, now going on an on-site interview -- second thoughts: read my story and please help?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (30)

MarkJ in East Brunswick, New Jersey

27 months ago

Continued:

Honestly I don't know if I can do this anymore, I really don't want to drive 4 hours down to possibly be humiliated but my recruiter has told me that if I back out on this interview it will harm his consulting company's reputation for sending unreliable candidates. I don't think I can sit there for 4 hours defending a resume that is completely utterly false and I have regret doing this crap with him just because I wanted to find a way to make a career with programming. I have a feeling that the managers might know and they just want to invite me on-site to humiliate me for being a fraud. He wants me to read books and prepare but I'm so sick to my stomach for doing this that I can't even read. I don't want to do this interview but I don't want to ruin the reputation either. At least my resume is fake to the point I have another email and a google voice number to cover my real one (per his instruction) so I can salvage whatever I have left provided they destroy me on-site. Is there any way I can cancel this interview. I seriously want to go the honest route and don't want to pull this nonsense. I've can't believe this guy's been conducting these fraudulent practices for over 7 years and has not gotten caught yet. Any way I can get out of this job interview? I don't want to go to be possibly crucified or get caught. I rather just avoid all of this and start applying the honest way. Please help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

27 months ago

Dishonest recruiters? This cannot be.

Don't go if you're this eaten up about it all. And who cares about their reputation. I can guarantee that they don't care about yours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike Volk in West Columbia, South Carolina

27 months ago

I would reach out to your point of contact with the company that you are interviewing with and let them know what is going on. Tell them that before things go any further, you feel that you want to start things off in a positive manner and you don't feel rioght about things to this point.

As far as worrying about the recruiter, don't. He has not acted in a professional manner. At this point you need to look out for yourself and your reputation. Don't let someone who should know better, take advantage of someone who is just startingout.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ketan in Columbus, Ohio

25 months ago

Dishonest recruiters? That's not too bad. At my consultant company, is much worse. The marketers, recruiters,and even my manager(s) are making me BS my entire resume. Marketers threw away my original real resume, and gave me an 'updated' resume which is actually a completely made up resume. I understand what you are going through Mark. I've been working for 2 months and still answering phone calls, doing interviews... I'm at the point where I don't care if I get fired... just as long as I can get out of the contract with my company and don't have to pay the fees for the training they had given me. Like Mark, I don't want to BS.. and I personally suck at BSing, So I don't really want to get fired for getting caught lying about my resume after I relocate to a job site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Californian in Moraga, California

25 months ago

Wait until you see what they want to bill you out at? I'd bet that if they are claiming 7 to 10 years of experience it's well north of $100/hr, maybe $200/hr, possibly even more if they are an actual consulting company, and not just a broker. So you can see why they want to get you in because I bet you are getting less than $50K.

I have weird feelings about this. I have a real problem claiming 7 to 10 years with something I've never done but I also feel that it's partially on the company where you'll be working to figure it out. But, on the other hand, if they had the expertise on staff, they wouldn't be bringing you in, so maybe they can't figure it out. And, sometimes, companies just have too much money, are incompetent, or whatever, and deserve what they get.

You also have to ask yourself another question. If you do this, and it works out, you've just gotten valuable experience on your resume, and been paid for it, especially, if it's a good, and popular, technology. The years of experience test is the single most common "idiot" criteria in use today for technical jobs. This will help you get past that and it's got to be a problem for you at the moment.

I just noticed the 4 senior developers. You won't get past that. I probably couldn't get past that and I started writing PHP in 2003 (my problem is that it was before it really got going with OOP). It's weird, why send you in on this, except, that it doesn't matter to the recruiter so he's just taking a flyer on you with no risk. He probably doesn't even have anyone at the company, so if you go, and it works, he wins, if you don't, no skin off his back.

Finally, you don't owe the consulting company/headhunter anything. Not one thing. His reputation is his problem, not yours. If he's lying on resumes the last thing you should be worried about is his reputation and it's probably not very good to begin with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymously in in Orange, California

25 months ago

It comes down to how desperate your situation is. I really feel the 'hiring' game is rigged. Between employment gaps and numerous forms of favoritism, It can be near impossible to get in the door.

That said, and if I were in your shoes. I wouldnt contact the compny your interviewing for and be honest. I would also consider contacting higher ups in the consulting firm about the situation. I would think that their rep is risking more damage to their reputation that you ever could.

I generally have a 'no kissing ass' ethos....which has bit me in the butt a few times. I would think your body/mind are telling you which way to go....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymously in in Orange, California

25 months ago

On a side note, perhaps the hiring company will be willing to help you get started with an internship or similar. Being honest with them will not only save them lots of money, but sever them from a dishonest recruitment scam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Seymour, Connecticut

25 months ago

If a "consulting" company, i.e., recruiting firm... totally rewrites your resume and makes you lie and go on interviews you have absolutely no knowledge of.... then I have news for you.

Its a SCAM.

Advice? Call the cops. Between my wife and I, we have met with at least 50 different recruiting firms... and not a single one has made us lie on our resumes, or send us to a job interview for a position we have no training in. I would say this isnt a real story and is pure rhetoric.... but if its true... then call the cops on this scam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

thcricketfan in Santa Clara, California

20 months ago

Hi Nick and others, Do you think this is matter that the cops would be able to pursue? What is the legal recourse if your consulting company is forcing to lie on resumes and interviews?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

20 months ago

thcricketfan in Santa Clara, California said: Do you think this is matter that the cops would be able to pursue? What is the legal recourse if your consulting company is forcing to lie on resumes and interviews?

In a word, no.

However they pressured you if you lie, you're complicit, and you're the easiest target to find.

Your best recourse is to refuse and report the company and the person who asked you to do it to the states attorney office and/or workforce.

Unlike local police who have much more limited jurisdiction and resources, they can and do pursue these sorts of companies, who change names and move a lot to stay ahead of prosecution.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

20 months ago

MarkJ in East Brunswick, New Jersey said: I really don't want to drive 4 hours down to possibly be humiliated but my recruiter has told me that if I back out on this interview it will harm his consulting company's reputation for sending unreliable candidates.
Awww. Cry me a river.

The reputation YOU should be more concerned with is YOURS. It is YOUR NAME that is atop the resume. That recruiter could not care less if YOUR reputation is impugned. After all, it isn't he who is interviewing for the job and (ulp!) having his references checked.

Again, probably too late, but you should refuse the interview and sever all ties with that recruiter. Nothing has been done that is illegal. Plenty has been done ethically and morally, and it's all been done to you. Best of luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Wong in Westerville, Ohio

18 months ago

Being honest DOES NOT pay off. This is despite what people say. If it did, the majority of people would be making 60,000 and above. Companies want to save money! If you are honest to them, they will pay you bare minimum!

Recruitment agencies get you to lie because they know how the world really works! Don't be a FOOL! See things for how they really are! Look at Donald Trump firing people without flinching! Jobs are not easy to get. Watch what happens if you are honest. You'll end up unemployed for a long time.

Don't fall into the honesty trap. Companies will not even look at you if you are honest.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Wong in Westerville, Ohio

18 months ago

Ethics is highly over rated unless you are a CEO or lawyer!

The real world isn't straight forward! Enjoy being unemployed for a long time!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

Wong in Westerville, Ohio said: See things for how they really are! Look at Donald Trump firing people without flinching!
The fact that you use television as your example proves you are delusional. Moreover,
Wong in Westerville, Ohio said: Ethics is highly over rated unless you are a...lawyer!
Another bad example. Many lawyers, knowingly and, sadly, unknowingly, are unethical. That said, the overwhelming majority of lawyers are scrupulously ethical.

Don't pay attention to this troll.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

One more POS from this troll to answer:

Wong in Westerville, Ohio said: Companies will not even look at you if you are honest.
So how to you account for the CIA-like background checks conducted for candidates for even the simplest of jobs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Can't Tell You in Fairfax, Virginia

17 months ago

I feel for you Mark + Ketan... I am in the same position as you... who knows, maybe we are at the same company (I would like to give the name, but the non-disparagement clause in my contract could bite me in the butt). The training has been fine, I've learned a whole bunch of stuff I never got to see in college, but now that I know what they are intending to do I am not okay with it. The only possible out for me would be to get fired so I am no longer under contract with them.

All I can say is don't do it. Be honest, to them and yourself. I refuse to lie to get my first job; what would I do when a coworker on a contract asks me about past work, or worst yet, while it looks like I've only been doing this for 10 weeks?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Confident in Silver Spring, Maryland

16 months ago

Can't Tell You in Fairfax, Virginia said: I feel for you Mark + Ketan... I am in the same position as you... who knows, maybe we are at the same company (I would like to give the name, but the non-disparagement clause in my contract could bite me in the butt). The training has been fine, I've learned a whole bunch of stuff I never got to see in college , but now that I know what they are intending to do I am not okay with it. The only possible out for me would be to get fired so I am no longer under contract with them.

All I can say is don't do it. Be honest, to them and yourself. I refuse to lie to get my first job; what would I do when a coworker on a contract asks me about past work, or worst yet, while it looks like I've only been doing this for 10 weeks?

I know exactly what situation you are in @Can't Tell You. I know exactly what company you are dealing with seeing that your location is in Fairfax Virginia. I went to them straight out of college. Here is my advice. Are you confident in your abilities? Are you are Shark or a little fish?

I graduated college and went to this program that was advertised in my school's job recruiting website. I was scared at first about the "enhanced" resume and the amount of money they claim you have to pay to break the contract. I decided to grow some balls. The breaking point was when I found out how much money they were going to make off me. $60 a hour and I was only going to get $25. I used them to get my first job and then I ended up speaking directly with the contracting company about removing them from the equation once I realized I can do this job well and didn't really need 5 years experience(Only took a month).

@Cant Tell You, Don't worry about what your employer or coworkers think. I ask questions all the time. How does six figures+ straight out of college sound to you once you leave that training company? Use it to your advantage and be confident.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Confident in Silver Spring, Maryland

16 months ago

Ran out of character space on that last post.

@Cant Tell You, I have one last thing to share. I hate going there with this but I believe it is relevant. The best programmer in our class was almost the last person to get a job. Why? Its because he didn't believe himself and it showed on his interviews. I am doing great work on the job with far less experience than the job required.

Last but not least I stress you do not have to pay anything if you leave then/break contract. I along with quite a few other people have left them and nothing has ever happened. They send you one nasty email to scare you and that's it'. You really think they want to go to court and get exposed for having people sign contracts for entry level positions only to find out later they are expected to use a fake resume be coached to lie on interviews. I had a lawyer look at the contract and he was like yeah judges usually don't like to get involved with how a business is run but you could easily draw a lot of negative attention to the company and they would not like that. The amount of people coy staying with them far out number the few bold that leave premature so they are not worried about chasing you down. They prey on the weak. Glad I opened my eyes.

Use them to get your first job and then leave them so you can get your money up and remove yourself from that shady company. I was idealistic coming straight out of college but I learned quick about what it takes to survive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

K in Fremont, California

5 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: Dishonest recruiters? This cannot be.

Don't go if you're this eaten up about it all. And who cares about their reputation. I can guarantee that they don't care about yours.

Thats the way it is, Where I am from ,I can name atleast 50 consultancies within a 10 mile radius who do this business on a daily basis.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

K in Fremont, California

5 months ago

Nick in Seymour, Connecticut said: If a " consulting " company, i.e., recruiting firm... totally rewrites your resume and makes you lie and go on interviews you have absolutely no knowledge of.... then I have news for you.

Its a SCAM.

Advice? Call the cops. Between my wife and I, we have met with at least 50 different recruiting firms... and not a single one has made us lie on our resumes, or send us to a job interview for a position we have no training in. I would say this isnt a real story and is pure rhetoric.... but if its true... then call the cops on this scam.

Hi Nick, It is a true story, Sadly, I do not want to name one in specific but 99% of Indian Consultancies in the US, take advantage of CPT/OPT students, they attract them with accommodation and high paid jobs and stuff and eventually threaten them with agreements that they might have signed out of ignorance. It is pure human trafficking and it is happening on a daily basis. Unfortunately, atleast a 1000 fake consultants take positions as BA/QA/DA/ Developers or testers etc., It is not Rhetoric, People like myself who are from India, do not have that strength or guts to face the legal consequences by going against them. Unfortunately we have no choice but to subside until someone will come to our rescue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Confused Desi in Hopkins, Minnesota

5 months ago

Hi friends,
I came to US in 2011 for my Masters. I did couple of internships at my university in the life sciences field. Then worked in a pharma company for couple of months. I was without work from Jan 2013 to October 2013. Sometime during this phase, I decided to join a desi consultancy which had me fake my resume and gave me training in SAS. I joined a project at the client site in November 2013 and was working till the last week when I decided to get out of this mess. My consultancy has filed H-1B on my behalf and it is in process. I know one thing for sure that I don't want to work in the life sciences field but interested in the IT field. I am planning to move to India and get a job there in the IT sector.

I will truly appreciate your help on the approach to get a job. I don't have any genuine work experience in the IT sector and don't want to work in life sciences.

Appreciate your time,
CD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John Jones in Los Angeles, California

4 months ago

Had been a user of resume writing services before, Resume Prime. I don't really have any idea then on how my resume will be processed (or the type of info i should supply the site). Tried inquiring through the site's chat feature and luckily someone was able to explain to me how the process goes on. For my experience, they really did not tried to persuade me to fake my resume. Instead, they asked for real info regarding my job experience, educational background and some accomplishment. The consultation went really great and little by little I was having an idea on how my resume will be formed. When I got my resume from the site, I was surprised on how they were able to present my strengths in a way that is appealing to employers. It was not until a week or two before I got my first job interview request. Felt happy and satisfied.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lance White in Los Angeles, California

4 months ago

When you know how to really craft your resume to focus on your strengths, you really don't need to make up lies about your qualifications and experience. I'm sure, if you try to make up details in your resume, soon enough the employer will get notice what you did. Better stick with what you really have achieved. I have read somebody here mentioned Resume Prime for resume writing service. I have also tried the site and think they did a great job in fixing my resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John Clements in Los Angeles, California

4 months ago

Lance White in Los Angeles, California said: When you know how to really craft your resume to focus on your strengths, you really don't need to make up lies about your qualifications and experience. I'm sure, if you try to make up details in your resume, soon enough the employer will get notice what you did. Better stick with what you really have achieved. I have read somebody here mentioned Resume Prime for resume writing service. I have also tried the site and think they did a great job in fixing my resume.

For me, the best type of resume is the one which can give employers an idea of what really you can do. At the end of the day, the hiring staff will test you to discover if you really can do the job at hand. You don't want to waste huge amount of time attending an interview only to fail it. Hiring the service of a professional resume writer is a good idea, though. They are trained to arrange an applicant's record in a way that can help employers understand his or her record well. For me, this is really an important part of the hiring process.

Mandy in Park City, Utah

4 months ago

Markj

First...everyone makes themselves sound better than they really are on their resume. But saying you've worked where you haven't, with a title you never held is pretty hard to pull off. Won't they discover it when they call your last job for a reference, because no one will say you were a Senior Programmer, right? I wouldn't risk that.

Anyway, wanted to tell you something I have had to learn: If it stresses you, worries you, or makes you run circles, or takes all your energy to try to orchestrate a certain outcome....then it isn't right for you. Things that are right will naturally fall into place. Those are the places we should be in life. Not having learned the lesson completely myself...I spent all day trying to orchestrate a crappy job that I don't even want, coordinating it with a new apartment that I really don't like either. I finally, after about 8 hours of fighting, worrying, and orchestrating, just gave up, and sent an email saying I am no longer interested in the job. I also gave up the apartment as well...and feel really good!

The fact that you are so worried about this, means it isn't right. And to take it one step further...I believe the Universe tries to speak to us by this very worry we feel. You are worried you will be caught, and I think the Universe is trying to tell you that YES YOU DAMN SURE WILL! In other words, I truly think your worry of humiliation is akin to a premonition...!

Instead, listen to your calm side and it will likely tell you to trash the interview that isn't going to work out anyway. You'll find something better. Just leave them an email saying "thank you so much, but last night, I accepted a position from another company". Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

NT in Hopkins, Minnesota

4 months ago

Markj,

I totally agree with Mandy. I used to be in a similar situation like him/you. I used to work at a client site with resume faked by my consultancy. Each day was a stress test for me. I would wake up each day thinking what if they fired me or what if I was unable to do the job. It sucked up all my time and energy. The fact that I faked my resume always rang at the back of my mind and I would be overwhelmed by guilt. After toiling for about 5 months, I made up my mind that I was going to quit this hell. Shot an email to my manager that I had found another opportunity and therefore would like to quit, effective immediately. The surge of relief I felt soon after is hard to describe. I find it hard to understand how people in this business continue with this thing for years, till the point they get their Green Card. It all looks so lucrative from a distance. But until people experience this hell themselves, it is hard to forewarn them.

Rick in Jacksonville, Florida

4 months ago

A resume prime for success has content which make it standout above others not only due to how outstanding the qualifications written on it but also how authentic they are. If I am the employer, I would not advice applicants to include a skill which they cannot do. For me, a resume should give the hiring staff an idea of things you can do as well as your limitations. This way, you can be assigned to a role/post that fits your skills and abilities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Betty Sean in Jacksonville, Florida

4 months ago

Maggie in Jacksonville, Florida said: @Jones Glad you mentioned this site www.resumeprime.com . I was also a previous client of the company and I can say in the way they crafted my resume that they are really a reputable one. Did not added too much information but included my most important qualifications. For all users here, no need to fake your resumes! Why do you need to do so? Can you really convince the employer that you really can do something you are not qualified to do??? Stick with what you have and what you really know. At the end of the day, your skills, however little they are, may end up helping you get the job that fits your qualifications!

Hmmm, should try that site i guess....??? I need a makeover for my resume for future job applications. I hope to get help from professional writers. Will visit the site and see what they can do... Wish me lucK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KDJ in Katy, Texas

3 months ago

Hello, I need help on my resume. I really don't have any experience in software testing. Recently i have taken formal training in Software Testing. I know all the concepts of manual testing, i did write few test cases, used QTP and loadrunner. I don't know if i can get job only on my training. I want to show some experience but i am confused of what should i write in my resume.

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

DP in Laurel, Maryland

1 month ago

I hate to ask this, but is the consulting company run by Indians?

I know what you are going through, I am in the same boat. I am desperate for a job, but I didn't know they would resort to creating a fake resume, and then coaching people on what to say.

There are a few things to take into account:
1) How will you feel if they ask you something based on these lies that you cannot answer? What I mean is, my fake resume says I worked in Chicago, what if the recruiter is from Chicago and ask me what neighborhood in Chicago I lived in?
2) And even if you do get the job but are not a good fit then what? You will be miserable.
3)Did you ask if they could proceed without making something up? If there is any legal ramifications in the future, you may need to do this to protect yourself.
4) Just remember this, surely you can break the contract if they do stuff like this.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.