Convicted Felon from Columbus OH, looking for work.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (501 to 550 of 665)
Page:  « First « Previous   8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next »   Last »

oldiebutgoodiegirl in Marion, Iowa

64 months ago

As an offender you need to be prepared for the questions that may arise in the interview process regarding your criminal history. One way to prepare is to have an “incarceration speech” ready to address these questions. An incarceration speech is an explanation of the time, crime and identifying a new direction in your life.

To develop an incarceration speech you will need to identify what you gained while in jail and what you lost in jail.

What you can gain while incarcerated:
• Improved education which will help in your job
• A healthy respect for authority and rules
• A genuine respect for other people’s rights
• A better understanding of why you do things
• Increased ability to get along in hostile situations
• Much more patience in handling problems
• Job related skills training
Counseling which helped you change your behaviors
• A desire to do what’s right so you don’t return
• Improved self-discipline
• Renewed respect for the value of hard work.

What you lost while incarcerated:
• Access to and respect from your children
• Trust from your family and friends
• Your own personal dignity and self-respect
• Freedom to control your own life
• Personal property (car, home, etc)
• Time you could have been advancing your career
• Money you could have made working
• Opportunity to enter certain types of careers
• Ability to travel anywhere you wanted (if paroled)
• Right to enter job market on your terms.
• Network of friends who could help you find work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Example of Incarceration Speech

I served 3 years in a State Correction Facility for burglary, theft and a walk-away escape. I’m currently on parole and there are some conditions attached to that situation.

I guess if there’s anything good to be gained from that experience is that I learned a lot about myself. I learned to make better decisions, to make healthier choices. I hurt a lot of people when I went to prison. I paid a very high price. I lost my home and my job. Most of all, I lost contact with the most important thing in my life, my children and family.

I spend a lot of time thinking about the things I’ve done to hurt people. I’m ready to start paying that back. I’m truly at a crossroads. I have a different sense of direction and a different sense of purpose in life.

Four Step Strategy for Answering Felony Question

The following questions may be asked in a job interview:

“I see you were convicted of a felony. What happened?”
“Why should we hire you, an ex-felon?”
“What makes me think you won’t commit another felony?”
“You marked on your application that you committed a crime, did you go to prison?”

1. Own it.

2. How do I feel about what I did?

3. What have I learned and what have I accomplished from this?

4. What are my new goals?

An example of each step:

1. Yes

2. I am not proud of what I have done, in fact, I am ashamed to talk about it because I made a bad decision and hurt a lot of people. Since that decision, I have learned that there are no shortcuts in life, and I have earned my high school diploma” (add any information that would be appropriate).

3. Today, I am a better person because of this experience. I value my family and want to be with them and provide for them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Overcoming the employer’s objections in the interview can be difficult. Practicing these statements and preparing to address the employer’s concerns can help you address your past in the best possible method.
In addition to interview questions, that can be difficult, you may want to also present two other reasons why an employer would want to hire you. These programs are a financial benefit to the employer, and should be presented when the employer is at a point of interest and acceptance in you as a candidate.

64 months ago

Presenting these programs first, before you have a chance to explain yourself will make the employer more suspicious of you as a potential hazard to their company. Sell yourself, then provide the added benefits to hiring you.
Why should I hire you?
I am bondable up to $5,000 at no cost to an employer.
The U.S. Department of Labor has a Fidelity Bonding Program available for returning ex-felons to aid us in finding meaningful, full-time employment and to protect employers against theft, fraud, forgery, larceny or similar events. The Bond is good for six months and renewable at the employer’s cost for another six months.

64 months ago

Business insurance policies that protect against theft, forgery, larceny or embezzlement of money or property by an employee who is covered by the bond.
Department of Labor (DOL) will post a $5,000 bond at no cost to the employer for a 6 month period.
A $2,400 Tax Credit could go right to your bottom line.
The Internal Revenue Service can authorize up to a $2,400 Tax Credit for your business. This is an incentive to hire ex-felons and is known as the Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC). The tax credit applied to both state and federal taxes in Iowa.
This can only be used for a new hire.
The employer cannot have used the tax credit for the same person in the past.
Employment must be full-time (over 36 hours per week).
You must be employed

64 months ago

A “letter of incarceration” is required and must be provided.
No fee to the employer.
Very little paperwork is required.
Needs to be done within 21 days from the employee’s start date.

64 months ago

REMEMBER:
?Be polite. Whether you get the results you want or not, thank the person for taking the time to speak with you.
?Be prepared to answer questions about your background and/or experience.
?Have a pen and paper handy to take down information or directions.
?Be prepared to set up an interview.
EXAMPLES OF OTHER DIFFICULT INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
? Tell us about yourself.
? Why do you want to work here?
? Why did you leave your last job?
? Name three strengths and weaknesses.
? How do you respond to having to work under pressure?
? How many days of work did you miss last year?
? I see on your application that you have had many jobs in the past year; is there a reason for this?
? Would you have any objections if we contacted any of your former employers?
? Where do you see yourself five years from now? What are your long-range career plans/goals?
? Why should I hire you?
? What would you do if there were a conflict between you and a supervisor? What would you do if there were a conflict between you and another worker?
? Why do you want to work for our company?
? Do you have any questions? (it is ALWAYS good to have 3-5 questions in mind before the interview for the interviewer = shows your true interest in the job and the company).

64 months ago

TIPS FOR ANSWERING DIFFICULT QUESTIONS:
? Think before answering – you may want to respond with “That’s a good question” and then pause for a moment before responding. This allows for more time to collect your thoughts before responding.
? Ask the interviewer to restate the question – by asking for the question to be restate, it can give you more time to think about the answer and to help you understand more about what the interviewer is asking.
? Be brief and respond in a factual way – This is perhaps one of the best ways to respond because it makes you sound sure and confident in your response.
? Focus on what is really being asked - be sure not to get off track
? Never lie, exaggerate or overstate - If you lie, exaggerate, or overstate in an interview or on an application or resume and the employer finds out, no matter how big or small, that can become grounds for immediate firing.

64 months ago

SAMPLE LETTER OF EXPLANATION

Date

Name
Business Name
Address

Dear (Prospective Employer):

Please accept this letter of explanation regarding the lack of information on the Employment Application about my felony conviction(s) of that occurred on
. I certainly do not want to mislead you nor lie to you by not providing more detailed information on the application; however, due to the embarrassment I feel over my past mistake(s), I very much want the opportunity to explain this to you in person.

I’m sure you have reservations considering hiring a felon, and rightfully so. If the positions were reversed I would probably feel the same way. I can only hope to try to explain the specifics, my true regret for what I have done in the past, why that will never happen again in the future, and now that I have the opportunity to turn my life around, why I will be an outstanding employee.

To back that up, the U.S. Labor Department is willing, at no cost to you, to post a $5,000 Fidelity bond for a period of 6 months with you on my behalf. Additionally, the IRS offers a one-time $2,400 tax credit to employers who hire felons. These employer benefits are available to you through Iowa Workforce Development at no fee with very little paperwork.

Whatever your decision, I thank you for your time and consideration.

Respectfully,

Joe Applicant

64 months ago

I hope that the information I have just posted is helpful to the majority of you on here.
I am not an attorney nor do I work for the criminal justice system.

I am a mother of a child who has a misdemeanor and has run into a lot of the same problems most of you have.
Felony and misdemeanor have been tossed together as being the same thing.
Most employers do not know how to read the background check report on charges of conviction.
Hopefully BAN THE BOX will be passed in all states and therfore give people the chance to explain what happened and what has been done since to improve and change the person.
The information I share is what I have uncovered in my research.
Again best of luck to you all..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

lwilson in Columbus, Georgia

64 months ago

thank you so very much,i appreciate everything,all the info you have given me from the bottom of my heart thanks a million

lwilson in Columbus, Georgia

64 months ago

you are absolutely right constructive criticism i can definitely accept it is what it is,

ir76 in Washington, District of Columbia

63 months ago

Hi Dan, Sorry to hear about your situation. Adding to Senior Citizen's advice, I worked with a friend as a volunteer teacher in the prison system helping inmates earn their GEDs ... a very fulfilling experience. While I did not pursue full-time employment in the prison system, my friend did. And becoming a volunteer was her foot in the door. In fact, with growing competition in the job market, it is often the best way to let people get to know the real you (in any position, under any circumstances). I obviously don't know your financial ability to pursue this route but, if your wife is employed or you are able to continue collecting unemployment while volunteering (I don't see why not but I would check anyway), it could be something to think about. Hope this helps!

SupportExpungement

63 months ago

In addition to praying you can send letters to the President, and Members of Congress & the Senate. Share this link with all your family and friends - even with strangers. We are the People who elected these People to work for the People. The more noise you make - the more you'll be heard!

www.petition2congress.com/2/1977/go/343321

Let us send as many letters so as we can and let them know it's time to stop dodging their responsibility to us.

www.petition2congress.com/2/1977/go/343321

63 months ago

63 months ago

Second Chance for Ex-Offenders Act of 2009 (Introduced in House)

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES March 16, 2009

thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.1529:

Detailed Summary Second Chance for Ex-Offenders Act of 2009 - Amends the federal criminal code to allow an individual to file a petition for expungement of a record of conviction for a nonviolent criminal offense if such individual has: (1) never been convicted of a violent offense and has never been convicted of a nonviolent offense other than the one for which expungement is sought; (2) fulfilled all requirements of the sentence of the court in which conviction was obtained; (3) remained free from dependency on or abuse of alcohol or a controlled substance for a minimum of one year and has been rehabilitated, to the court's satisfaction, if so required by the terms of supervised release; (4) obtained a high school diploma or completed a high school equivalency program; and (5) completed at least one year of community service.
Status of the Legislation
Latest Major Action: 4/27/2009: Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security.

Info can be found on link:
www.washingtonwatch.com/bills/show/111_HR_1529.html

My understanding is each State has to Pass "Ban the Box" , I would call your Governor office, local State reps ( congressman etc.) to see if they are working on this. If not request they do.

Here is more info on "Ban the Box"

www.drugpolicy.org/docUploads/nm_bantheboxfactsheet.pdf

www.saferfoundation.org/docs/Hiring_Standards_Matrix_Final_(2).pdf

JustLittleOLd ME in Grand Junction, Colorado

63 months ago

Senior Citizen in Atlanta, Georgia said: This is not a court of law. You cannot expect "us" to change your record nor provide much of a remedy.

Likewise, you cannot expect the average employer to do so either. They just don't have the time and resources to go investigate your case and give you psychological exams to determine whether your particular crime was really bad or just a stupid teenage mistake or divorce battle. You might very well be a decent person but unfortunately you are in that same group of people (felons) who HAVE actually done serious crimes.

You are now competing with all those people out there who were somehow able to live all their lives without ever being arrested for anything, much less a felony. If I were in your shoes, I'd do the opposite. Instead of trying to now fit into the normal society of job applicants, apply for jobs to places where they WILL consider your background in detail.

What about working in the prison system, for example? In that situation, the employer would be quite aware of whether your crime was serious or not and being professionals in that business would know whether you'd be able to successfully do the job.

There may be some job where you could use your mistake to help others, like as some sort of counselor to kids in the juvenile system and be able to tell them first hand what can happen if they continue on their path.

There may be some jobs like dispatcher for emergency services or something where you get the chance to sort of "put something back" into the society.

I am just guessing here, but certainly a job in such areas requires more than the cursory background check and because of that closer scrutiny, they may hire you because they know you are okay.

Obviously (given the two individual crimes listed above), you are not going to get jobs at the local home for unwed teenage mothers, but by the same token, you are not going to get jobs in normal corporate America either. Drug rehab coun

JustLittleOLd ME in Grand Junction, Colorado

63 months ago

oldiebutgoodiegirl in Marion, Iowa said: A new Law is try to be passed called "Ban the Box" bill, which prevents public employers from inquiring about an individual’s criminal record on job applications.
Ban the box refers to banning employment applications from listing a “box” that asks applicants whether they are ex-felons. This allows ex-felons to be on the same footing as any other applicant, by preventing would-be employers from discarding them at the get-go.
Minnesota is First State to Pass on May 14th. Mar 19, 2009 ... ( Santa Fe ) – A bill to "ban the box" on public job applications in New Mexico unanimously passed. Hopefully all states will adopt " BAN THE BOX ".

This was wonderfull information Thank You!!!

l.wilson in Columbus, Georgia

63 months ago

thank you

fritowife in Beloit, Wisconsin

62 months ago

I think your all crazy.. yeah depending on the job .. no scratch that depending on the person and the charge is what you should go by. I myself had a felony theft charge which was because when credit cards first came out I had hit the wrong button and gave credits instead of charges. Everyone that said no it wasen't a mistake added up to $750 and it made it a felony. I worked for that company for another year but paid the money back even though it was a mistake. I now hire for Arby's and yeah it is a different time but I will still give someone with an awesome personality and people skills a job before a quiet person anyday. If you are a felon because you stold I wouldn't put you on the till. But you could bust out some roastburgers!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nec100 in Camp Point, Illinois

62 months ago

fritowife in Beloit, Wisconsin said: I think your all crazy.. yeah depending on the job .. no scratch that depending on the person and the charge is what you should go by. I myself had a felony theft charge which was because when credit cards first came out I had hit the wrong button and gave credits instead of charges. Everyone that said no it wasen't a mistake added up to $750 and it made it a felony. I worked for that company for another year but paid the money back even though it was a mistake. I now hire for Arby's and yeah it is a different time but I will still give someone with an awesome personality and people skills a job before a quiet person anyday. If you are a felon because you stold I wouldn't put you on the till. But you could bust out some roastburgers!

I agree with your statements and I have only once had a felony conviction hold me back from being hired by a company. When I committed my felony I knew at the time what I was doing was against the law. I do not want to say it was wrong because I know lots of people who smoke pot and in that inner circle I was screwed by society for my own personal choices of what I wanted to do with my body. I even went as far as one time telling a HR representative that the difference between me and most of the people they hire is that I got caught and they haven't. In states like California my drug conviction is irrelevant as employers are not allowed to inquire about such convictions about marijuana. I have no regrets of what I have done and in my opinion I personally think the state of Iowa should have never let my conviction stick on my record. I was a first time offender, never been arrested, and was 18. Why they didn't give me deferred judgment I do not know. Anyway I wish all those who have problems getting a job to simply answer the question about being a felon with a NO.

lois wilson in Chicago, Illinois

62 months ago

you say you made a mistake but in the law eyes you are still a felon,i would not bust one burger for you,if you dont watch it you may not have that job,as a matter of fact there are a lot of people that commit felons everyday but have never been caught and i bet you eating all of arbys food up,and i have never stole a dime in my life,and guess what i did what i thought i had to do at that time to take care of my kids,which are now grown,find you something else productive to do,you are just one in many but there are some good people out there,now you are crazzy thats why you are at arbys,and i own my business impress me when you own and operate arbys not working for someone else.

Sandy Hite

62 months ago

How can all you out there that have not been comitted of a crime judge people that have been caught? You are not better than them to me you are worse because you don't have it in you to forgive. You are the lowest of people in the world that you judge. I know friends that are Judges,lawyers etc and they or their kids have ended up behind bars but just because you end up behind bars doesn't mean you are a bad person just someone that made a choice and it put them behind bars and it doesn't mean they can't chnage and not make such choices. I stole when I was five. We were always left alone evn though parents were next door working,I took 20 that was laying on the dresser of my moms and took my cousin also 5 and my sister three down the road 1/4 mile and asked her how much candy we could get with it cause we were hungry. Story short we didn't get any candy cause the woman calls our mom and that was the last I stole. We were dirt poor and I don't break the law to where I will be in prison but I do break the law by going a few miles over the speed limit(all of you have) Walked across a street outside the lines or a light(you all have) Are you better because you didn't end up in prison? NO you are not because you still broke the law just you didn't end up in prison. DON"T be a judge of someone else's character because you yourself are not perfect. Forgive and let people have jobs,a place to live and a chnance to start over. Thabk you and all of you have a nice day!

lois wilson in Columbus, Georgia

62 months ago

you are absolutely right.

Jake in Amherst, Ohio

62 months ago

You'll just have to suck it up dude.

I am a college graduate in engineering, and have never been in any trouble at all. And I am a good person.

Unlike you, I can not get any job. I can't even get interviews.

Wait your turn and if anything is available after us law abiding citizens get work, then jump on it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Amherst, Ohio

62 months ago

By the way, an employer will wonder what other "stupid mistakes" this individual will make on the job.

I know because employers have questioned my ability to perform well on the job based on my college grades. (I usually received b's and c' with a small handful of a's. But at least I did not cheat like many students did). Employers can't track the "cheaters" from college.

I am doing like I said to you; I am sucking it up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy Hite

62 months ago

You are wrong into saying your a law abiding citizen but there are none out there that have never broke the law. Have you EVER went 1 mile over the speed limit? Then you too have broke the law and are not a law abiding citizen. I though I raised my kids well asked the who what when and where and told them every night i loved them. They still have broke the law and one went to college and did very well but he still has broke the law so I can not say I know anyone that is a law abiding citizen. Stop and think of all the things you have done and you will see you will not be able to say you are a law abiding citizen. We all deserve a second chance just as our parents raised us. They disipline us and let us stay in the home they didn't discpline us and throw us out of the home that is second chances in life. Lets say you accidently kill someone,in a wreck,hunting etc you break the law so even though it was an accident should you not have to pay for that by going to prison? You still took a life..you killed someone you are no longer a law abiding citizen. If someone rapes your little child and you decide to harm them then you are pre planning to harm someone so no longer are you a law abiding citizen. I am saying all you out there that say your a law abiding citizen back up because I think if you really think about it your not so now you are liars for saying you are . I would rather have a thief in my life that says hey I did wrong then a man that say he is a lwa abiding citizen becausenow he is a lioar and I would rather have the thief than the liar any day.

62 months ago

After reading some negative commits by persons I will not name. It is no wonder such persons cannot get a job/interview. DIVERSITY is now common practice in most work environments! With attitudes and perceptions such as some of those I have read, if I were an employer I would not want such persons working for me, degree or not. MOST Everyone (NON sexual offenses) deserves a Second Chance to prove themselves and make a mends for the mistakes they have made.
That is why pardons/expungements and the Second Chance are available for non sexual offenses. So if the government can forgive some crimes, so should employers if the persons is try to make a life change for the betterment of his/her self and the community.

62 months ago

After reading some negative commits by persons I will not name. It is no wonder such persons cannot get a job/interview. DIVERSITY is now common practice in most work environments! With attitudes and perceptions such as some of those I have read, if I were an employer I would not want such persons working for me, degree or not. MOST Everyone (NON sexual offenses) deserves a Second Chance to prove themselves and make a mends for the mistakes they have made.
That is why pardons/expungements and the Second Chance are available for non sexual offenses and Non Violent crimes. So if the government can forgive some crimes, so should employers if the persons is try to make a life change for the betterment of his/her self and the community.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

After reading some negative commits by persons I will not name. It is no wonder such persons cannot get a job/interview. DIVERSITY is now common practice in most work environments! With attitudes and perceptions such as some of those I have read, if I were an employer I would not want such persons working for me, degree or not. MOST Everyone (NON sexual offenses Non Violent crimes) deserves a Second Chance to prove themselves and make a mends for the mistakes they have made.
That is why pardons/expungements and the Second Chance are available for non sexual offenses and Non Violent crimes. So if the government can forgive some crimes, so should employers if the persons is try to make a life change for the betterment of his/her self and the community.

Jobs for Felons in Dallas, Texas

61 months ago

I can totally understand your experience. Although I was not convicted of an offense like yours, I too find it hard to get decent employment. So, you know what? I stood up, brushed myself off, and started my own online internet company. I do freelance work and right ebooks for people and give them away free to help people learn how to make money online using affiliate revenue.

Sometimes, it just means you have to think outside the box. On my site, jobsforfelons.net, I try to offer help and give advice because I know, personally, how hard it is and I am truly a success story.

Hang in there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gunit in Fostoria, Ohio

61 months ago

I am considering enter college soon and would like to know what sectors of the economy are friendly to felons in terms of employment. This way I will know what to study in school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gunit in Fostoria, Ohio

61 months ago

All people especially employers must understand that felons should have more chances to be employed.If an employer bars someone from working because of a past conviction they must understand that by doing so they inadvertently force that person to find a salary by some other means.This revoling door policy causes the offender to return to crime as a source of income(i.e. drug distribution, prositution, burgarly and robbery.)Even though a sex offender should never be a school bus driver, employers should at least allow a sex offender to work along side other adults.This draconian policly only perpetuates more crime.

gunit in Fostoria, Ohio

61 months ago

The only true way for these outdated policies to change is for all people who have ever been convicted of a crime to come together and write to their congressmen and women so that more lient policys are made into law. We pay for their six figure a year saleries and top notch benifits yet someone such as myself who has only one conviction on their record and is an Eagle Scout is not allowed to work at an entry level jobs making job making cookies is travesty. When will we rise up and overcome these gross injustices inflicted onto us?

Sandy Hite

61 months ago

My son 27 is soon to get out of prison for assult. He had a prior this time self defense but no witnesses so took a plea bargin of 1 1/2 years. He has to start all over again anyone know of legit work near Athens,Zanesville or Cambridge? He has been taking classes for business while in prison but he has dreams of making that work but any ideas without having to invest money? Thanks for any help All of you hang in there because I believe that help is there it takes one person to believe in you and 1000 of doors to knock at before one may open.

just genak in Jacksonville, Illinois

61 months ago

can u work in a tavern or restraunt that serves liquior or can u be a bartender.

just genak in Jacksonville, Illinois

61 months ago

sry meant to say ......if yiu have a record or r a convicted felon

61 months ago

just genak in Jacksonville, Illinois said: sry meant to say ......if yiu have a record or r a convicted felon

Ask your PO if you have one. Most require you stay away from the alcohol. However I have seen person with record working in the kitchen, is not allowed to handle cash (person I am referring to has stolen and written checks as well as taken money from previous employer so he/she has a record)
Good Luck!!

Setting the record straight in Cincinnati, Ohio

61 months ago

Senior Citizen in Atlanta, Georgia said: Ok. What do you mean by a "productive and/or positive avenue? I posed what I thought were decent avenues. What fault did you find with those suggestions?

You still seem to have some sort of idea that we here in this forum have some secret information. Are you expecting someone to tell you the way to get around the laws of the country? If so, that kind of thinking is possibly what got you in such a situation that resulted in the felony arrest.

Were you given a fair trial? If not, appeal. If you WERE given a fair trial, then you committed the crime and were convicted appropriately.

The circumstances don't really matter when it comes to jobs that they don't want felons of ANY sort to have. They have their reasons. Besides, that is what a "felony" is - a crime that involves serious infraction of what society deems appropriate behavior. It isn't the crime as much as the errors in thinking that a felon has displayed. In essence there is proof you didn't think properly in the past and certain jobs won't allow that error or even the chance of that error being repeated.

If you were charged and your attorney advised you to accept the plea, then I can safely assume you were at fault and it seems you already were given a break by not actually having to serve time.

Most people would not do something that even could be mistaken for a criminal act. As example, most 22 year olds wouldn't even be at a party where some of the guests were under aged and people were drinking let alone get in the pool naked with the child as the other fellow mentioned.

Likewise, most people would find a way to get divorced and walk away as friends with no animosity nor need for accusations of abuse of any sort. That is just the way the world is.

Rich people always lookout for their friends hint Scooter Libby look how Bush had his back. The rich don't have this problem only the poor Martha Stewart it's like she never did time.

sundevil98 in Peoria, Arizona

61 months ago

Please senior citizen. You must have a a great order in your life to presume the world is black and white. Maybe it is to you. But the world is still going to be gray all around you. The world i s corrupt and will always be so. Right and wrong is just that right and wrong. Justification of why we did something is just that justifying. But heed this warning we must not be rigid in people who have been wrong but to offer a path to all people to redemption regardless of label of crime. No I dont speak of blind faith but faith in gods work in salvation. And salvation does include to make man whole this includes the ability to work and provide oneself and family in righteous manner. I am tired of righteous opinions from individual who believe they have never commit sins or wrongs. I also commend you for not being a felon for you had good judgement. But good judgement doesnt preclude or cease at the point of one self actions but to offer good judgement in the works to help others in need and trial. I suggest people be wary of the corrupt and sinners. But be wary of the insensitivity and turning away of people for you lack good judgement as well perhaps this could be called a felony in the eyes of our lord, under gods law.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

elbolero41 in Toledo, Ohio

60 months ago

Senior Citizen in Atlanta, Georgia said: You have it all wrong. It isn't a matter of a few individuals defining the word felony. Certain crimes are designated felonies and thereby have certain penalties that are more severe accordingly. All this has been voted on by the society as a whole (those 300 million people) and it has been decided that such people may not be trustworthy in certain situations such as employment.

The biggest mistake a felon makes is that he/she has erroneous thinking processes and the felon has ACTED upon that bad thinking and has been dealt the appropriate punishment of the society as we have all agreed upon.

Everybody makes mistakes, sure, but few people make such big mistakes as to be convicted of a felony.

"Does that mean that for the rest of his life he should be distrusted all because in highschool he bought his friend a pack?!"

Absolutely. Every one of us has been in that situation and all but a few have decided NOT to break that law. That is the beauty of laws. You don't have to contemplate the parameters. All you have to know is what is and what is not legal.

well i think there are people out there thta i call felon they dont have in their record cause they haven been cought yet all they probably never wiill see im im try to say is that nobody is perfect and yes oly god is so citizen please with all your respect you probably go to the doctor and the perfect nurse who take your vital sihgn is a felon taking med to get high but you don know that or the emplyer know, and why cause she haven been caought yet so see my point with are living in a world that from the begining weer alot of felon livin in it, i think people deserve a second chance in life if they dont give this people a chance how they espect this world to change.

nec100 in Camp Point, Illinois

60 months ago

First off, a felony doesn't always imply dishonesty. I got caught with two bags of marijuana when I was 18. No one has the place to judge me or think of me as being dishonest. The only difference between me and some of my peers is that I got caught and they haven't. To some I am a criminal and to others I am hero. Laws are written by a select few and voted on by a select few, then we as a people are expected to follow them. I am not ashamed of what I did and to this day I still smoke pot because I don't think its wrong. My felony conviction has held me back from enjoying life to its fullest, but I am currently seeking a pardon from the governor in the state I was convicted. I have never stole, I have never cheated, and my crime was non-violent. I believe in time possession of marijuana will not be a crime. I think everyone breaks the law at least once in their life. It can be as simple as violating a city ordinance or underage drinking. Those who claim they are not guilty are the one's I don't trust.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kelly marie in Hollywood, Florida

60 months ago

Charlie in Atlanta, Georgia said: Now I WILL give you a point on that. That is what I am saying. An ex felon should not expect to get a job at a bank or become a police officer or take care of children or most of the jobs in society that require basic honesty and integrity. I personally believe they should all be put away for good, but it isn't possible but don't expect to be normal and treated the same as normal people.

wow everything you say is stereotypical. im 22, got a felony when i was 18 for what should have been a misdemeanor. the judge said he was making an example out of me. you say we felons should be put away for good, nd we all say we were framed. I TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY for my actions. maybe if i were breast fed till i was 18, like you, i wouldnt have been out,having a life, getting in trouble. you think its hard to get in trouble, youve never in miami, or dealt withh our police officers. just cause they have badges doesnt mean theyre honest or law abiding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

kelly marie in Hollywood, Florida said: wow everything you say is stereotypical. im 22, got a felony when i was 18 for what should have been a misdemeanor. the judge said he was making an example out of me. you say we felons should be put away for good, nd we all say we were framed. I TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY for my actions. maybe if i were breast fed till i was 18, like you, i wouldnt have been out,having a life, getting in trouble. you think its hard to get in trouble, youve never in miami, or dealt withh our police officers. just cause they have badges doesnt mean theyre honest or law abiding.

By the way, I m less than a year away from a masters degree and i have an amazing job. Not only am i a felon, i was also a teenage mother (19). Thats two negative statistics, and ive overcome them both. You like money huh? Well, this young, felon, unmarried mother could buy your entire life 10 times over. How well can YOU handle truth?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

charlie , one more thing, I am a felon. And as long as I am contributing positively to society, I absolutely expect to be treated like a normal functioning member of society. Anything less is discrimination and ignorance. I make more money at 22 then you have in your entire pitiful, desperate existence. Hows that for a statistic? So i made some irresponsible decisions when i was youner, and less responsible. Ive learned from my actions. Its normal for humans to make mistake, so yes, im quite normal, and would like to be treated accordingly. Im sure youve broken the law you juust werent caught.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

free4u2nv in Collinsville, Illinois

60 months ago

kelly Marie in Hollywood Florida

I would really like to correspond with you outside of this site. I no longer contribute to this site as it is always negative and people downing others. I think everone would benefit if this blog was used for more productive comments.

You have been successful and that is the type of input that I am seeking. I have a bachelors at this time...would really like to talk to you, one on one, via any means you feel ok with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bosco in Orlando, Florida

60 months ago

kelly marie in Hollywood, Florida said: charlie , one more thing, I am a felon. And as long as I am contributing positively to society, I absolutely expect to be treated like a normal functioning member of society. Anything less is discrimination and ignorance. I make more money at 22 then you have in your entire pitiful, desperate existence. Hows that for a statistic? So i made some irresponsible decisions when i was youner, and less responsible. Ive learned from my actions. Its normal for humans to make mistake, so yes, im quite normal, and would like to be treated accordingly. Im sure youve broken the law you juust werent caught.

Ooh, now I'm curious. Since you love to brag, how much do you make?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Bosco in Orlando, Florida said: Ooh, now I'm curious. Since you love to brag, how much do you make?

Dont be nosy. Theres a reason I didnt say how much I make. I was proving a point, not bragging.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

HB in Orlando, Florida

60 months ago

This place hasn't changed over the last 2-2 1/2 years. You're absolutely correct about this forum, free4u2nv. Just be careful who you give your e-mail to or go off line to chat with. They just may turn out to be a felon still in jail. The wolf just loves to hang around the hen house.

HB, PhD in Psychology; Orlando, Florida.

60 months ago

HB in Orlando, Florida said: This place hasn't changed over the last 2-2 1/2 years. You're absolutely correct about this forum, free4u2nv. Just be careful who you give your e-mail to or go off line to chat with. They just may turn out to be a felon still in jail. The wolf just loves to hang around the hen house.

HB, PhD in Psychology; Orlando, Florida.

ok mr psychology. whats the difference between interacting with a felon that is currently incarcerated or one that has already served their time. your implying that he should be careful, but there are risks either way. you could be interacting with a murderer who just hasnt killed anyone YET. caution should be taken while communicating via online with anyone, not just known felons. just because your a psychologist doesnt mean you know specifically how EVERYONES mind work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.