Craigslist

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

YorkiePud in Gardendale, Alabama

45 months ago

Has anyone actually gotten a job from a Craigslist ad? I've read on various forums that people have, but I'm not sure. I'm looking at them, and none of them have any information on the company. Do they really think I am going to email my resume, which has my name, address and phone number to an email address that belongs to just anyone? I've set up a separate email address so I can email asking for more information about the companies without giving any personal information away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Wendy in Richmond, British Columbia

45 months ago

Even though you are in a completely different world trolling my thread, i can sympathize in wanting a job. Having much experiance in Craigslist, the job section is safe & normal. Many, many people have gotten jobs from craigslist. You are under the impression it is just some third-party site so you must be completely new to it. Underestimating the commonness of it. Although the reply ratio to an employers add is more than Monster, (i roughly recall it being 40 but Craigslist has the official numbers on their site)...so i wouldn't expect a job from it as you're competition is a plenty. They do expect you to send over the resume, which is completely normal, and if you email them asking for more information you will just be ignored. You do not have the choice to give personal information away, if you want to get a job from craigslist it's what you must do. You're being way to paranoid on the matter, and i'm not even gonna go into how the matter of craigslist reliability vs getting a career is something you can "research" much easier...i mean wow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

The job that I'm laid off from right now I got from Craiglist. In April of last year, I emailed them a copy of my resume, and then they called me about a project that they were going to be starting. I went in there on a Saturday, right after my Weight Watchers meeting, to interview and test for this project. Unfortunately, I didn't pass the test; therefore they didn't hire me. But they did mention that another project would start in July. I decided that if I didn't find a job by then, I was going to contact them again.

In August, I got an email from them about another project that was going to start, and I contacted them back. I went in there, filled out all of the paperwork, and I had to get a client-required background check. While I was waiting, they contacted me about another project that I started working on, and I've been there ever since. Unfortunately, ever since I've been there, I've been laid off three times. The last one was at the end of January. And now, they won't have any work until the summer.

In the meantime, I emailed my resume for an inside sales position with a company that does social media research with schools from all over the country. I have an appointment with them on Tuesday (May 10) at 11 o'clock. I hope I get it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

On Wednesday (May 4) I received a call from a place that does a cooking show. (I had sent my resume there for an inside sales position, and of course; it was on Craigslist.) Unfortunately, the job was full-time and you only work on commission; therefore I couldn't do it.

Also on Wednesday, I got an instant email response for a telemarketing position that I emailed my resume over to. They just gave me the address of the place, when they were interviewing, and who to ask for. When I emailed them back, I wanted to know what type of a company it was, what the hours, were, and how much they were paying. Again, I got the same response. The email address sounded fishy to me. Therefore, I emailed them back, and told them that I wasn't interested, and I deleted their emails.

(It was also on Wednesday that I received the call for the inside sales position that I'm interviewing for on Tuesday.)

You really have to judge the ads on Craigslist yourself. Some of them are scams; but some of them are legit. You just have to judge for yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

MyCon in Georgia

45 months ago

YokiePud,

I posted a partial résumé anonymously & received a phone call from a company shortly after. It was even from a "direct" hire company. Had the interview & received the job offer.

At that particular time, I also had another job offer pending which came through just before the interview. Although the opportunity & offer from the company who contacted me through Craigs List was respectable, I turned down that offer to pursue the other.

Occasionally, I still post my résumé anonymously just to see what type of results I may get. On more than a few occasions, I've been contacted for local opportunities, as well. Of course, there's always a few bogus opps, which I simply ignore those.

On the Craigs List posting, I will have this:

Updated: February, 2011

** ATTENTION SPAMMERS - I WILL NOT REPLY TO BOGUS E-MAILS OR
JOB OPPORTUNITIES **

** ATTENTION HIRING MANAGERS OR RECRUITERS

-- Please reply or inquire with valid company e-mail and website,
along with job description details.

Thank You

This seems to help a bit..... So, it's even possible to "be contacted" for prospective opps from both recruiting services & "direct" hire companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

OldandSad in Saddle Brook, New Jersey

45 months ago

YorkiePud in Gardendale, Alabama said: Has anyone actually gotten a job from a Craigslist ad? I've read on various forums that people have, but I'm not sure. I'm looking at them, and none of them have any information on the company. Do they really think I am going to email my resume, which has my name, address and phone number to an email address that belongs to just anyone? I've set up a separate email address so I can email asking for more information about the companies without giving any personal information away.

Never send your resume out on the internet with your home address on it: especially on Craig's List. Better safe than sorry. I know of someone who puts ads on craig's list as a way of getting resumes and portfolios from her graphic competition.
I got one interview through craigslist and experienced age discrimination.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Underemployed Soul in Topeka, Kansas

45 months ago

I have no luck getting employment through Craigslist and I have been trying for three years now. I don't use Craigslist anymore for job ads. The only thing I got from Craigslist are usually scam/spam emails from Nigerian scammers. I think job
'ads' are probably posted by scammers, trade schools, and staffing agencies taking advantage of the high unemployment rate in my town which is 7.5%. People in my area have posted their resumes on Craigslist, I read they usually get spam/scam emails from Nigerian scmamers taking advantage of their desperation for employment, staffing agencies wanting them to come to do testing for an hour, or trade schools wanting them to come in and get in debt for career training. If the HR or Recruiter person uses gmail, and they reply to you that same day wanting to send you an URL to check your credit score and everything, it's going to be a scam, delete it. If the email has bad grammar in it, then the "HR person" is usually from Nigeria, delete it. Real companies use their email server to communicate people, has better grammar, and they don't communicate right away, it takes them 2+ weeks to communicate with people because they are so busy. They use their website's "Career" section when they have job openings, go to my college's job fairs, use online job boards, or tap employees for refers. They don't use Craigslist. I think the only companies that use Craigslist are small ones who can't afford to post job ads on Careerbuilder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Wendy, I am not trolling your thread. I'm telling you to get off your lazy backside and find a job yourself. You look stupid asking questions you could easily find out yourself. Gee, duhh what's the name of a course to be a nurse.. GOOGLE IT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Oh and by the way Wendy when you said, You're being way to paranoid on the matter, and i'm not even gonna go into how the matter of craigslist reliability vs getting a career is something you can "research" much easier...i mean wow.

This is called personal opinion, as in, "Do you think Craigslist is a bunch of BS or are there any real jobs there." This is different from asking people to study jobs for you. And if you think I am too paranoid to send my personal details to some random craigslist email address, you have issues. You're so incredibly stupid and I can see why you've been on welfare for so long.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

JettingtoMars in US, Virgin Islands

45 months ago

I have had tons of luck with jobs. Craigslist and Indeed are in fact my main 2 sources of finding jobs. Just have to get an understanding what is spam and what isn't on CL. Doesnt hurt to even email to inquire about the position and offer a resume if it's still available. That way you'll get a response to email a resume, etc. But yeah CL is legit and an excellent source for a job.

As for posting a resume in the resume section and hoping an employer will read it and call you, forget about it. Doesn't happen like that on CL. They know if they post a job, people will call or come in to apply or send a resume.. I laugh at the people with desperate ads looking for a job, showing desperation will never help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

and you see ads on CL that say 15-25/hr as a pay rate and an email address is posted. 9 out of 10 times is SPAM and SCAM.

Most jobs today only pay around 8-11/hr and those are the jobs I look for because thats a realistic pay rate. Office jobs that say 16/hr and send a resume with no company information, yeah I laugh at them and roll my eyes. Many people respond hoping its real. There's key words and sentences to look for to tell if it's real or not. Just have to read CL enough to know

Gia in Chicago, Illinois

45 months ago

I have posted several ads on Craigslist and every time there is a person with the name of K. Christine who sends a reply as follows:

I sent an email earlier to your resume post but I didn't hear anything back for some reason. Would it be possible for you can come in on the 13th of May? If thats to inconvenient, we can schedule another time if that works better for you. Let me know when you can. Thanks!

Christine

This person never states where she is located, no phone number, and every time I get this kind of email the email address is different. I don't know what this person gets out of doing this. I guess if I reply they can plant some kind of virus on my computer. They all go with all the other advertising emails I get for replica watches and other sales pitches.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

45 months ago

I have something posted in the resume/looking for work section on CL. I always get the Cristine K. email too. I just mark it as spam. I keep a separate email just for CL.

I have had people contact me a few times looking for someone to design a project just because they saw my ad on CL. I don't have it posted that I'm looking for freelance, but I'm looking for an employer.

I've gotten a couple of interviews through jobs posted on CL, but never a job yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

When using CL, use a separate email, like a throw away email that you can delete after you're done job hunting.

When sending a resume to a job posting, use your first name and last initial. Provide only an email to contact you from. Don't put your address on resume unless you know they are legit.

It's ok to tell them that you are only sending a certain amount of info until you have established they are a real employer. Tell them for safety reasons you can only send some of the info and you will send more when they identify themselves. They don't like spammers anymore than you do, so they will understand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gia in Chicago, Illinois

45 months ago

I NEVER put any personal information in my postings. I just list my skills and tell them that I am looking for full time and the area that I am in. Then when they reply I can decide if they are really looking for someone or just a scam. Usually the jokers that have a Yahoo, Gmail or Aol address with no company name or phone number (I google the phone number if provided, and if it doesn't come up with an name, then sorry your are trash.

45 months ago

While I was on my way to my scheduled interview this morning for the Inside Sales position that was posted on Craigslist, I suddenly realized that the company was not accessible by public transportation. In fact, it's too far of a walk from the speed line that I took to get there. I called the guy. I left a message on his voicemail explaining the situation, and I cancelled the interview. He called me back and said that there was van service from the public transit routes, but I believe that they stop running at a certain time. It was just a problem for me transportation-wise, so I decided not to pursue any further.

I have to have something that is 100% accessibly by public transportation since I don't drive. But I'm not going to give up. I'm going to keep on looking. And yes, I'm going to keep on checking on Craigslist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

losthope in Indiana said: Craigslist needs to tighten things. There are far too many people that have their time wasted by low class scum that prey on those looking for work. The fact that this is allowed speaks volumes about Craigslist. They are no better than the scum that are posting fake ads and misleading job seekers.

Sad thing is, in many cities CL charges 25.00 for posting job ads and many cities they dont. I wonder though if even the cities that they charge, if that limits the spam

Soni in Schaumburg, Illinois

45 months ago

I found temp gig for 3 month as project manager that focused in SPSS tool. I was desperate and took the temporary assignment.

45 months ago

Craigslist keeps running ads for appointment setters and inside sales reps for this one company in King of Prussia. I've sent my resume over there but I never hear from them.

Also, they periodically run ads for market research interviewers at a place in Fort Washington. I once contacted the Human Resources Director and he says that he doesn't have time to call everybody back. And besides (at the time that I spoke to him) they weren't even hiring.

I don't know if these places either have high turnover or they just simply collect resumes for anticipated openings. This doesn't make any sense!

45 months ago

Maybe they are just trying to look busy and important just so they can keep their jobs. Who really knows, but please stop giving us the false hope of getting a job that doesn't even exist.

NiceGuy in Rochester, New York

45 months ago

I landed a part-time job from a listing in Craigslist. Things went well until the person decided to not pay me for my time spent in training him (use of Google Docs for his many businesses). I let it ride for two weeks, then dropped him. He got a bargain.

In this case, I'd won't badmouth Craigslist. The poster felt he could get all the benefit without paying. Not Craigslist's fault.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.