The Curse of Taleo?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 627)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Frustrated in Sterling Heights, Michigan

57 months ago

NorthOfTheD in Troy, Michigan said: So very interesting.. that's practically identical to my experience with Comerica, the only difference being that I'm apparently getting the auto emails after 1-2 business days, not as soon as 30 minutes.

The worst part - each generic email encourages you to go back to their job listing site to look for new jobs and apply. If you're going to blacklist people, why torment them by encouraging them to repeatedly apply for jobs when they'll only be presented with an endless supply of quickie rejection emails??

This takes the word "inconsiderate" to a whole new level.. It doesn't surprise me that other banks, such as Chase, use the same system.

I would receive the email my application was submitted and within minutes I would get the rejection email. There was no way anyone could've read it because it was no more than 30 minutes after I submitted it and I applied for like 12 different positions. I liked dealing with the smaller banks and credit unions that just make you attach a resume and send it.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

57 months ago

equality101 in Georgia said: Why doesn't Taleo have the user submit their name, email address, create a password and then simply allow the user to upload their resume? Why all of the filling out of fields with the exact info on the resume? With technology things should be simplified, not time consuming and repetitive.

It is simplified but for the employer not you.

Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Aurora, Colorado

57 months ago

I don't see the point in ignoring companies that use Taleo, unless your sure that the company wouldn't hire you anyway. If they don't think that your skills match their criteria (which isn't the same as matching their needs - and I don't want to get started on that), you are going to get rejected at some point, and does it really matter if it was by a person or a computer program?

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

57 months ago

Jeff in Aurora, Colorado said: I don't see the point in ignoring companies that use Taleo, unless your sure that the company wouldn't hire you anyway.

They wouldn't hire me because I have too many blemishes on my work history and the fact that they use Taleo, is an indication to me that the company is besieged by candidates, all of whom are more qualified.

No, if you think you are their Purple Squirrel candidate, go ahead and apply via Taleo. For me, its just not the best use of my time.

Reply - Report abuse

parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

57 months ago

NorthOfTheD in Troy, Michigan said: The one upside I'm seeing with Taleo...

After you've inserted your information into all the fields for one job opportunity, it MAY remember that information and save 90% of your time if you apply to other jobs. That's been my experience anyway, but I imagine it can be a very different story for other company job sites using Taleo.

Such is only the case if you're applying to the same employer. But then you know you've already been rejected once. I even had problems logging in my user name and/or password when going back to apply for a second job using Taleo. I think I'm done ever applying via Taleo. With a gap this big, I think I'm automatically disqualified anyway. I need a human to actually read what I'm sending them so that I might not be judged only on my gap. Even this is a long shot.

Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Aurora, Colorado

57 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: They wouldn't hire me because I have too many blemishes on my work history and the fact that they use Taleo, is an indication to me that the company is besieged by candidates, all of whom are more qualified.

No, if you think you are their Purple Squirrel candidate, go ahead and apply via Taleo. For me, its just not the best use of my time.

You won't get hired if you don't apply. I'm going to apply for any job that I see any potential for. I'm not going to rule myself out. If there's a machine that eliminates me, so be it. But I'm going to try until they day they disconnect my electricity and evict me from my house.

I don't think that companies are besieged by people who are more qualified than I am. They do, however, receive lots of resumes from people who are a better match for their arbitrary, and often irrelevant, criteria.

Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

I always say I won't bother when I see Taleo software pop up, but once again I just filled out another one.

Why ask for your user name and password if you're a new user? It makes it seem like if you've done a prior Taleo app that you can simply use the info from that one. That's not the case.

This time, Taleo's field refused to accept my answer for the number of years I supervised someone in two jobs. I had to fudge it.

When I got the error message that I had to change those fields, Taleo decided to change the zip codes of all my employers. Nice.

Even though I never worked for this employer, and indicated as such, Taleo had to know what union I was in (haha) when I previously worked at this employer. Brilliant.

Then, for something as simple as where I reside, they initially ask your country. Nowhere do they ask for region and city, until you hit submit and it rejects you. It rejects you twice every single time I do a Taleo app - once for region and once for city. Amazing. Simply amazing.

My fingers look lovely now with the nails pulled out.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

57 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said:
Then, for something as simple as where I reside, they initially ask your country. Nowhere do they ask for region and city, until you hit submit and it rejects you. It rejects you twice every single time I do a Taleo app - once for region and once for city. Amazing. Simply amazing.

My fingers look lovely now with the nails pulled out.

I always have less hair after I fill out a Taleo app. Another reason why I avoid it. lol!

Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

57 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: It is simplified but for the employer not you.

It's not simpler for the employer; it's as much a PITA for them. It's just as frustrating on the other side.

The only one that really benefits is the one who sold them the software to begin with.

Reply - Report abuse

jobseeker in La Grange Park, Illinois

57 months ago

It is true that Taleo is a scourge. However, one is obliged. I thought I would pass on this tip (after losing many hours)for submitting info to HR systems which rely on Taleo.
1. First go to talentexchange.com (which appears to be some until of Taleo)
2. Enter your resume information there ONE TIME: do it carefully, get it right.
3. You give permission to enter that into the talentexchange database of resumes.
They then give you the option to download what you just entered as an .rtf (readable by any version of MS Word) file and/or a .pdf file.
4. The next time you apply for a "Taleo Powered" job, upload that resume (the.rtf file version) instead of your nice looking resume.
5. Then (when applying to a particular employer for a particular job) also upload your "real" resume, the one you so carefully crafted or even paid for if (hopefully) the employer allows you to upload extra documents such as certificates and a cover letter (they nearly always do).
In this way, I still have to add a field here or there when I apply, but I no longer have to face the bowl of spaghetti that Taleo turns my life into unless I speak it's language.
I was shocked to find that this method is in no way advertised by Taleo, I would have expected a magic button you could press on job applications for those who have already done it once.
If you don't agree with my advice, or if you have better advice, please correct me, I'd like to know.
I hope this helps everyone.
Sincerely,
Your Ph.D. in physics, mathematics and computer science…looking for a job!

Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

56 months ago

jobseeker in La Grange Park, Illinois said:
1. First go to talentexchange.com (which appears to be some until of Taleo)
2. Enter your resume information there ONE TIME: do it carefully, get it right.

Then be forced by that company's instance of Taleo to be forced to enter all that same information again. Despite having a 'universal' profile.

Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: Then be forced by that company's instance of Taleo to be forced to enter all that same information again. Despite having a 'universal' profile.

I don't think there's a short cut either.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

56 months ago

guest in San Francisco, California said: IF I see Taleo then I just move on.

Ha! Me too.

Reply - Report abuse

Snoopy in Dallas, Texas

56 months ago

Wow. I had no idea that Taleo was a system like this. I am happy I came across this forum. I am skeptical of systems that capture all of your personal information in some massive database. It simply makes me not want to apply for the job. I have been applying using Taleo for various jobs but today I saw something that stated Taleo Universal. The other two options were logging in using my google account or yahoo account? I don't understand this. I don't want all of my ultra personal information to be captured by Google or Yahoo. Especially since I heard they never EVER erase profiles. Even when the user deletes the profile.

This is wrong.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

56 months ago

Snoopy in Dallas, Texas said: Wow. I had no idea that Taleo was a system like this. I am happy I came across this forum. I am skeptical of systems that capture all of your personal information in some massive database. It simply makes me not want to apply for the job. I have been applying using Taleo for various jobs but today I saw something that stated Taleo Universal. The other two options were logging in using my google account or yahoo account? I don't understand this. I don't want all of my ultra personal information to be captured by Google or Yahoo. Especially since I heard they never EVER erase profiles. Even when the user deletes the profile.

This is wrong.

I wouldn't do that. Noooo. Five years from now, they might ship you off to the "work camps". LOL!

Reply - Report abuse

BIDude in San Francisco, California

56 months ago

Taleo is an abomination.

Here is a simply example. I'm forced, every time I've had to fill it out, to list my location. It works fine for US/State but my city isn't listed and Taleo has offices in the city where I live. I have to say I live in a city about 30 miles away from where I actually live.

The interface is poor, especially when searching for jobs. You have to click, forcing the javascript to open, but then you have to go back, which sometimes loses your search. The search itself is awkward to perform, especially if the company has multiple locations to search. It's just painful to work with.

And, I've never, not once, received an automatic job notification from a Taleo system that matched my skillset. Not one.

You can blame that on the company implementing the product, but, it's this way every time I'm forced to use it.

I will give it one thing, if you've ever applied to a government job (city or county) that can actually be worse. I applied to one that required I answer questions on a paper form and fax it to them.

I know why HR systems buy it but it's getting in the way of talent and their jobs.

Reply - Report abuse

northofthed in Troy, Michigan

56 months ago

BIDude in San Francisco, California said: Taleo is an abomination.

Here is a simply example. I'm forced, every time I've had to fill it out, to list my location. It works fine for US/State but my city isn't listed and Taleo has offices in the city where I live. I have to say I live in a city about 30 miles away from where I actually live.

Ha! Yes, I had to deal with that same experience. The biggest joke of all during my last "Taleo run" is that the main office location to the company I was applying for (there are actually 3 large buildings next to each other that practically compose a mini outdoor mall) was located in same city I live in... and the Taleo software wouldn't even recognize it! I had to list an entirely different nearby city.

And don't you love the agreement you have to sign/check at the end that strictly warns you about the penalty of providing any false or incorrect information whatsoever? Nice, Taleo... only you.....

Reply - Report abuse

BI Dude in San Francisco, California

56 months ago

NorthOfTheD in Troy, Michigan said: Ha! Yes, I had to deal with that same experience. The biggest joke of all during my last "Taleo run" is that the main office location to the company I was applying for (there are actually 3 large buildings next to each other that practically compose a mini outdoor mall) was located in same city I live in... and the Taleo software wouldn't even recognize it! I had to list an entirely different nearby city.

I didn't say it earlier, I guess I was trying to be coy, private, or something, I dunno, the city is Dublin, CA, which is their corporate headquarters.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

56 months ago

BIDude in San Francisco, California said: Taleo is an abomination.

And, I've never, not once, received an automatic job notification from a Taleo system that matched my skillset. Not one.

I will give it one thing, if you've ever applied to a government job (city or county) that can actually be worse. I applied to one that required I answer questions on a paper form and fax it to them.

I know why HR systems buy it but it's getting in the way of talent and their jobs.

Companies love it but I just back out when I see the "Powered by Taleo" logo.

Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

I just submitted a Taleo application. Yes, I did. I know, I know.

I'd submitted a previous application to this employer a year ago and obviously got rejected. I'd say I'm perfect for the job, but we all know that being perfect isn't good enough anymore.

Anyway, it was a breeze submitting this Taleo application since it unbelievably had all of my information correct from the previous submissions.

The one thing it wouldn't take is my primary email because that email is registered under another account. This must mean I've submitted two prior applications to this company. So I had to use my secondary email account, which I rarely use. I obviously changed the email in the second application I submitted a year ago due to Taleo's funky user name, password and email issues.

Taleo, do you really think someone is randomly going to pull another user's email out of the clear blue sky to use it as their own? Seriously, idiots? I've had occasion in the past to not bother submitting a Taleo application because I'd previously registered and it refused to take my email, user name or password.

This is the stupidity of Taleo.

And now, the perfect candidate will sit back and wait for his perfect, tidy rejection email.

Reply - Report abuse

Californian in Castro Valley, California

55 months ago

"And now, the perfect candidate will sit back and wait for his perfect, tidy rejection email."

You get rejection email? Lucky you!

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

55 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: I just submitted a Taleo application. Yes, I did. I know, I know.

I'd submitted a previous application to this employer a year ago and obviously got rejected. I'd say I'm perfect for the job, but we all know that being perfect isn't good enough anymore.

Anyway, it was a breeze submitting this Taleo application since it unbelievably had all of my information correct from the previous submissions.

The one thing it wouldn't take is my primary email because that email is registered under another account. This must mean I've submitted two prior applications to this company. So I had to use my secondary email account, which I rarely use. I obviously changed the email in the second application I submitted a year ago due to Taleo's funky user name, password and email issues.

Taleo, do you really think someone is randomly going to pull another user's email out of the clear blue sky to use it as their own? Seriously, idiots? I've had occasion in the past to not bother submitting a Taleo application because I'd previously registered and it refused to take my email, user name or password.

This is the stupidity of Taleo.

And now, the perfect candidate will sit back and wait for his perfect, tidy rejection email.

LOL! That's happened to me as well. 3 tries for a quarter with Taleo. Then, you have to use a new email and go through the whole rigamarole again.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

55 months ago

Californian in Castro Valley, California said: "And now, the perfect candidate will sit back and wait for his perfect, tidy rejection email."

I don't bother with Taleo anymore because I have too many blemishes on my job history to make it worth my time.

A few years ago, I use to submit my apps around 11:30 pm on Saturday nights cause that's when I had a little peace and quiet. Sometimes within 20 minutes, I would get a "rejection letter" but thanking me for my interest in ACME Widgets. Heh!

I don't know if they corrected this bug but its things like that, that eventually caused me to avoid this particular online app. Course from Taleo's side, this is what it was designed for. Only young, blond hair, blue eyes need apply.

Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I don't bother with Taleo anymore because I have too many blemishes on my job history to make it worth my time.

A few years ago, I use to submit my apps around 11:30 pm on Saturday nights cause that's when I had a little peace and quiet. Sometimes within 20 minutes, I would get a "rejection letter" but thanking me for my interest in ACME Widgets. Heh!

I don't know if they corrected this bug but its things like that, that eventually caused me to avoid this particular online app. Course from Taleo's side, this is what it was designed for. Only young, blond hair, blue eyes need apply.

Most of the time, when I see Taleo, I simply don't apply, but this job is a very good hit for me. I know since it's Taleo that I'll be auto-weeded out, but I figured I'd try anyway.

On too many occasions I've experienced the problem at the login page with Taleo. The software is so user unfriendly, clunky, outdated and just plain ugly that it has to be for weed out purposes because it's darn near torture to try to fill the thing out when it won't let you add certain information, erases other information, won't let you proceed to the next page because it won't accept your correct information, etc., etc., etc.

Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Californian in Castro Valley, California said: "And now, the perfect candidate will sit back and wait for his perfect, tidy rejection email."

I do if I fill out a USAJOBS application and sometimes when I fill out a Taleo or other silly online application. It's usually 3-4 weeks down the road after I've already forgotten about it. It's nice for these little daisies to sometimes pop up in your email and brighten your day. They care! They care!

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

55 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: Most of the time, when I see Taleo, I simply don't apply, but this job is a very good hit for me. I know since it's Taleo that I'll be auto-weeded out, but I figured I'd try anyway.

On too many occasions I've experienced the problem at the login page with Taleo. The software is so user unfriendly, clunky, outdated and just plain ugly that it has to be for weed out purposes because it's darn near torture to try to fill the thing out when it won't let you add certain information, erases other information, won't let you proceed to the next page because it won't accept your correct information, etc., etc., etc.

You just want to pull your hair out.

Reply - Report abuse

IrmoGourmet in Columbia, South Carolina

53 months ago

I wonder if Taleo doesn't screen out mature workers. We cost too much? We're old? I don't know how many Taleo applications I've filled out to get a nearly instant rejection, often for positions for which I am perfectly qualified. While it's illegal to ask an applicant's age, Taleo asks for information that can easily allow you to be dated.

I'm with those who see the Taleo interface, then don't bother to apply to that company.

Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Broomfield, Colorado

53 months ago

IrmoGourmet in Columbia, South Carolina said: I wonder if Taleo doesn't screen out mature workers. We cost too much? We're old? I don't know how many Taleo applications I've filled out to get a nearly instant rejection, often for positions for which I am perfectly qualified. While it's illegal to ask an applicant's age, Taleo asks for information that can easily allow you to be dated.

I'm with those who see the Taleo interface, then don't bother to apply to that company.

I would guess that any of the online application software systems can be set up to screen out people over a certain age. My latest gripe is that I've filled out, or tried to, a couple of online applications in the past week in which not all mandatory questions were accompanied by an asterisk (e.g., I NEVER list salary information unless it is mandatory) but if the system rejects your application because you didn't answer a mandatory question you have to start the application process from the beginning; there is no way to go back and just answer the questions that you missed.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

53 months ago

IrmoGourmet in Columbia, South Carolina said: I wonder if Taleo doesn't screen out mature workers. We cost too much? We're old? I don't know how many Taleo applications I've filled out to get a nearly instant rejection, often for positions for which I am perfectly qualified. While it's illegal to ask an applicant's age, Taleo asks for information that can easily allow you to be dated.

Being that I am over 50, I would bet money that it does. I seldom bother with a Taleo app myself.

It is for those who have perfect lives.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

53 months ago

Jeff in Broomfield, Colorado said: I would guess that any of the online application software systems can be set up to screen out people over a certain age. My latest gripe is that I've filled out, or tried to, a couple of online applications in the past week in which not all mandatory questions were accompanied by an asterisk (e.g., I NEVER list salary information unless it is mandatory) but if the system rejects your application because you didn't answer a mandatory question you have to start the application process from the beginning; there is no way to go back and just answer the questions that you missed.

Taleo will always ask for your salary requirements. If you don't answer the question, that is as far as it goes. It is a decision field. Kenexa and Ceridian do the same thing but they aren't quite as intrusive as Taleo.

One recommnedation that I read about was to use two different email accounts for Taleo apps. One is a "test submission", which will take you right up to the submit button and the second email account will be the real thing.

Haven't tried this myself. I am over 50 and I know that Taleo probably flags this as a No Hire situation, so I don't bother.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

53 months ago

I don't bother with Taleo either. I have never heard back from a company that uses this system. Its for people with perfect lives.

Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Jeff in Broomfield, Colorado said: I would guess that any of the online application software systems can be set up to screen out people over a certain age. My latest gripe is that I've filled out, or tried to, a couple of online applications in the past week in which not all mandatory questions were accompanied by an asterisk (e.g., I NEVER list salary information unless it is mandatory) but if the system rejects your application because you didn't answer a mandatory question you have to start the application process from the beginning; there is no way to go back and just answer the questions that you missed.

The Taleo gods laugh at this stuff. I'm convinced it's part of the weed out process. They don't want you to start over. They want you to back out and go to the next slave opportunity.

Reply - Report abuse

ohnotaleo in Everett, Washington

51 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: Then be forced by that company's instance of Taleo to be forced to enter all that same information again. Despite having a 'universal' profile.

Yes, I've experienced the same. I'm assuming if the company you're applying to has an older version of Taleo (which is the case with many companies, even the big guys) you have to manually enter everything. Even if you use the Universal Profile single sign on. The last application I submitted via Taleo (and I do mean the LAST) required the applicant to fill in a "previous employer" entry for any gap in employment. So, if you left a job in September of 2012 and started a new job in November 2012, it required you to fill out a job history for October 2012 including all of the required fields such as Supervisor's name, title, and phone number, reason for leaving, etc. I submitted it and almost immediately received a canned rejection email (presumably composed by someone to whom English is a second language). I guess although I've had progressively more responsible jobs with 3 Fortune 100 companies, those couple of gaps in employment after layoffs 10+ years ago just were too big of a risk for this particular company....

Reply - Report abuse

lagomorphexp in Montreal, Quebec

51 months ago

Granted that most (if not all) job hiring software scans and cuts resumes so as to short list candidates, which I have come to accept as the norm.,I have never encountered a worse nightmare as "Taleopowered" software! I cannot believe that employers choose this search website voluntarily, and they are either quoted low cost to use the service or are bullied into a contract.

Reply - Report abuse

lizot in Tallahassee, Florida

51 months ago

Taleo is the debil. If they ever had a class action lawsuit I want in. My resume usually gets a call back when I send it but when I apply using Taleo I never hear back. Evah!

Reply - Report abuse

Pie in Los Angeles, California

51 months ago

Got a follow up through Taleo this week. This appears to be how this company uses it:

1. Job seeker fills out online application using Taleo
2. Taleo uses some algorithm to cut the applications down and sends a list of names to the assistant recruiter.
3. The assistant recruiter e-mails those people and sends them a job questionnaire and requests a resume.
4. Upon receiving said materials, the assistant recruiter evaluates them and sends appropriate ones to the actual recruiter

And only then do you actually have a shot at getting an interview.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

51 months ago

Pie in Los Angeles, California said: Got a follow up through Taleo this week. This appears to be how this company uses it:

1. Job seeker fills out online application using Taleo
2. Taleo uses some algorithm to cut the applications down and sends a list of names to the assistant recruiter.
3. The assistant recruiter e-mails those people and sends them a job questionnaire and requests a resume.
4. Upon receiving said materials, the assistant recruiter evaluates them and sends appropriate ones to the actual recruiter

And only then do you actually have a shot at getting an interview.

My father use to say, "Things are more difficult today. You have computers".

He never used one in his life. Heh!

Reply - Report abuse

princessxtn

51 months ago

Huh... I never knew Taleo was the reason I didn't hear back from a number of what I considered to be a potential employers. I'll have to be more astute when applying.
As far as USAJOBS goes, what ever the KSA's are on their job descrip, I copy and paste into my resume under various jobs that I have had. After all, that is what they are looking for right? If they want to play hardball with you this is one great way to dodge,duck,dip,dive, and dodge.

I also have gaps in my resume due to going to college. I do list that as an employer, date start/ended are obvious, supervisor: director of the program, give the address and number to the college. List full time student in job title, make up something for what my "responsibilities" were. Reason why I left: I graduated. It has taken that so maybe, if your gaps are due to school, jail time, whatever, use it.

Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Dallas, Texas

51 months ago

a

Reply - Report abuse

Teri in Anaheim, California

51 months ago

We should boycott Taleo, I am sick of them and their long ass applications!

Reply - Report abuse

toboeingornottoboeing in Seattle, Washington

51 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Yup, and I have gotten them at 11:30 pm on a Saturday night. Ain't technology wonderful?

I thought they were sending those at 11pm, 12am and through the morning hours because they are such hard workers and were very committed about finding the right candidate for the job.

Yeah, I really hate Taleo. I also hate, hate, hate Liberty Mutual Insurance company. And Amazon.

Reply - Report abuse

toboeingornottoboeing in Seattle, Washington

51 months ago

princessxtn said: Huh... I never knew Taleo was the reason I didn't hear back from a number of what I considered to be a potential employers. I'll have to be more astute when applying.
As far as USAJOBS goes, what ever the KSA's are on their job descrip, I copy and paste into my resume under various jobs that I have had. After all, that is what they are looking for right? If they want to play hardball with you this is one great way to dodge,duck,dip,dive, and dodge.

I also have gaps in my resume due to going to college . I do list that as an employer, date start/ended are obvious, supervisor: director of the program, give the address and number to the college. List full time student in job title, make up something for what my "responsibilities" were. Reason why I left: I graduated. It has taken that so maybe, if your gaps are due to school, jail time, whatever, use it.

You are brilliant Princess. I would hire you in a minute. You know exactly how to adapt. I'm a lot like you but hadn't thought of those two. You are a smart cookie.

Btw, I hate USAJobs and their supplemental questions. I applied for a job I DID and I have career status with the government (as far as being qualified to get in cos' of that status) and they still denied me based on same lame ass small detail that most anyone would miss.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

51 months ago

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington said: You are brilliant Princess. I would hire you in a minute. You know exactly how to adapt. I'm a lot like you but hadn't thought of those two. You are a smart cookie.

Btw, I hate USAJobs and their supplemental questions. I applied for a job I DID and I have career status with the government (as far as being qualified to get in cos' of that status) and they still denied me based on same lame ass small detail that most anyone would miss.

I heard on the radio that USAjobs has some 70 million applications just on file. It helps if your father is a Congressman. Heh!

Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

51 months ago

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington said: Btw, I hate USAJobs and their supplemental questions. I applied for a job I DID and I have career status with the government (as far as being qualified to get in cos' of that status) and they still denied me based on same lame ass small detail that most anyone would miss.

I recently came across some online applicant tracking system that wasn't taleo, but had a page of screening questions that looked like a first attempt to hand code HTML. There were several questions that had multiple parts, essentially questions that belonged on a second interview. Half the questions had over 200 characters in them; the field to enter the answers accepted 75 characters. Fail.

I know recruiters hate these systems, any time you can avoid them by making human connections with decision makers is a win.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

51 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: I recently came across some online applicant tracking system that wasn't taleo, but had a page of screening questions that looked like a first attempt to hand code HTML. There were several questions that had multiple parts, essentially questions that belonged on a second interview. Half the questions had over 200 characters in them; the field to enter the answers accepted 75 characters. Fail.

I know recruiters hate these systems, any time you can avoid them by making human connections with decision makers is a win.

I came across one (not Taleo) for a part time position. The app was about 45 mintues long and then at the very end it tells me that I need to NOW complete the Personality Assessment test which would take approximately 60 minutes. Byeeeeee!

Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

51 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I came across one (not Taleo) for a part time position. The app was about 45 mintues long and then at the very end it tells me that I need to NOW complete the Personality Assessment test which would take approximately 60 minutes. Byeeeeee!

Oh. I'm sorry but that made me laugh out loud.

There's something seriously wrong when the application process lasts longer than the job.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

51 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: Oh. I'm sorry but that made me laugh out loud.

There's something seriously wrong when the application process lasts longer than the job.

Are you kidding? Some of these apps are so long, that I have to lie down and take a nap in the middle of them.

Course, your resume should ideally be just one page. Puhleeeze. Who is making up all these rules.

Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

51 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I came across one (not Taleo) for a part time position. The app was about 45 mintues long and then at the very end it tells me that I need to NOW complete the Personality Assessment test which would take approximately 60 minutes. Byeeeeee!

Early on in my job search I applied for a Sales position with YellowBook. I know, what was I thinking?

Very long online application process then at the end it said there will be a test. I said bye-bye too.

Every few days I'd get some automated email from them stated you haven't taken the test yet please click on the link. After about a month I had enough energy to take it so I did.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

51 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Early on in my job search I applied for a Sales position with YellowBook. I know, what was I thinking?

Very long online application process then at the end it said there will be a test. I said bye-bye too.

Every few days I'd get some automated email from them stated you haven't taken the test yet please click on the link. After about a month I had enough energy to take it so I did.

And?

Yellow Book/Yellow Pages are on their last legs. You can't even give away space in them today.

Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

51 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: And?

Yellow Book/Yellow Pages are on their last legs. You can't even give away space in them today.

Red Flag with them...VERY high turnover.

Anyway the following week I got an email to pick a time slot for the phone interview. I did well but never heard back.

You know how they get their sales leads. Interesting, anytime a new business opens it's doors Yellowbook gets notified. I think she said it's thru the phone records.

Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.