The Curse of Taleo?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 588)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Frustrated in Sterling Heights, Michigan

30 months ago

Now that you bring it up, I believe I was blacklisted. I applied at a job at Chase who I believe uses Taleo. I got an interview but didn't get hired. A few months later I applied for other positions. Less than 30 minutes after I applied I got an email saying something to the effect "After careful review of your application, we have decided to pursue more optimal candidates" or something like that. I applied for several other positions and within minutes I got rejection emails for every position. Pretty bizarre that it didn't start till after my interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (236) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Aurora, Colorado

30 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: When I see the Powered by Taleo logo, I simply back out of the application and pass on the job.

There are many different HRIS (online applications) but in my opinion, Taleo is the worst from an applicant's point of view. Companies who use Taleo are usually very large companies who get a ton of applicants. They need a way to cull 1,000 applicants into "The Top Ten". Taleo does this in seconds.

I've used a lot of HRIS's that were worse than Taleo. With some of them, I have no idea if my application was actually submitted. There's one system (created by a major software vendor) that I have never gotten to work, even though I've tried it with 3 different browsers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

NorthOfTheD in Troy, Michigan

30 months ago

Frustrated in Sterling Heights, Michigan said: Now that you bring it up, I believe I was blacklisted. I applied at a job at Chase who I believe uses Taleo. I got an interview but didn't get hired. A few months later I applied for other positions. Less than 30 minutes after I applied I got an email saying something to the effect "After careful review of your application, we have decided to pursue more optimal candidates" or something like that. I applied for several other positions and within minutes I got rejection emails for every position. Pretty bizarre that it didn't start till after my interview.

So very interesting.. that's practically identical to my experience with Comerica, the only difference being that I'm apparently getting the auto emails after 1-2 business days, not as soon as 30 minutes.

The worst part - each generic email encourages you to go back to their job listing site to look for new jobs and apply. If you're going to blacklist people, why torment them by encouraging them to repeatedly apply for jobs when they'll only be presented with an endless supply of quickie rejection emails??

This takes the word "inconsiderate" to a whole new level.. It doesn't surprise me that other banks, such as Chase, use the same system.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (107) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

NorthOfTheD in Troy, Michigan said: So very interesting.. that's practically identical to my experience with Comerica, the only difference being that I'm apparently getting the auto emails after 1-2 business days, not as soon as 30 minutes.

The worst part - each generic email encourages you to go back to their job listing site to look for new jobs and apply. If you're going to blacklist people, why torment them by encouraging them to repeatedly apply for jobs when they'll only be presented with an endless supply of quickie rejection emails??

This takes the word "inconsiderate" to a whole new level.. It doesn't surprise me that other banks, such as Chase, use the same system.

I would receive the email my application was submitted and within minutes I would get the rejection email. There was no way anyone could've read it because it was no more than 30 minutes after I submitted it and I applied for like 12 different positions. I liked dealing with the smaller banks and credit unions that just make you attach a resume and send it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Most HRIS systems are customizable to the user. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

If if were Taleo, I would say it was submitted but put into the B-Pile: Not printed, not processed. You have to have lived a perfect life for Taleo to consider you as a contender for the job.

Bluetea, as far as Taleo goes from the user's (HR/recruiter) perspective, do you believe putting someone on a blacklist is as easy as clicking a button or two?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

Frustrated in Sterling Heights, Michigan said: I would receive the email my application was submitted and within minutes I would get the rejection email. There was no way anyone could've read it because it was no more than 30 minutes after I submitted it and I applied for like 12 different positions. I liked dealing with the smaller banks and credit unions that just make you attach a resume and send it.

LOL! That has happened to me. Odd, that I submitted the app at 11:30 pm on a Saturday night and within minutes got a rejection letter. But that's progress for ya! Heh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Frustrated in Sterling Heights, Michigan said: I would receive the email my application was submitted and within minutes I would get the rejection email. There was no way anyone could've read it because it was no more than 30 minutes after I submitted it and I applied for like 12 different positions. ...

Hmmm.. Did those emails, by chance, happen to resemble anything like this?? ;)

"After careful consideration, we regret to inform you that we have decided to pursue other candidates that more closely fit the requirements of this position.

Again, thank you for expressing your interest in this position. Please continue to visit (SITE) for other opportunities.

We wish you success in your career search. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,

(HR person)"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

NorthOfTheD in Troy, Michigan said: Bluetea, as far as Taleo goes from the user's (HR/recruiter) perspective, do you believe putting someone on a blacklist is as easy as clicking a button or two?

That I don't know but even with the other HRIS applications, if you are applying to the same company, after 3 attempts, the theory is to use a different email address and upload a slightly different resume.

I always keep track of who I have applied to and how often. At some point, I just cross them off my list. They don't want to dance with me for whatever reason and I need to move on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

NorthOfTheD in Troy, Michigan said: "After careful consideration, we regret to inform you that we have decided to pursue other candidates that more closely fit the requirements of this position.

Again, thank you for expressing your interest in this position. Please continue to visit (SITE) for other opportunities.

Best regards,(HR person)"

Yup, and I have gotten them at 11:30 pm on a Saturday night. Ain't technology wonderful?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: That I don't know but even with the other HRIS applications, if you are applying to the same company, after 3 attempts, the theory is to use a different email address and upload a slightly different resume.

I always keep track of who I have applied to and how often. At some point, I just cross them off my list. They don't want to dance with me for whatever reason and I need to move on.

Not a bad idea, thanks. I never even thought of switching up email addys. I figured my full name itself is what the computer was catching and saying - *BEEP BEEEEP ... PREPARE TO DEPLOY IMMEDIATE REJECTION EMAIL*

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Yup, and I have gotten them at 11:30 pm on a Saturday night. Ain't technology wonderful?

Oh I know! Isn't it amazing how efficient their "CAREFUL consideration" process is?

Heh what an absolute joke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

NorthOfTheD in Troy, Michigan said: Oh I know! Isn't it amazing how efficient their "CAREFUL consideration" process is?

Heh what an absolute joke.

The company of the future will have just two employees: a man and a dog. The man's job will be to feed the dog. The dog's job will be to bite the man if he goes near the computers. - old HR joke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

NorthOfTheD in Troy, Michigan said: Hmmm.. Did those emails, by chance, happen to resemble anything like this?? ;)

"After careful consideration, we regret to inform you that we have decided to pursue other candidates that more closely fit the requirements of this position.

We wish you success in your career search. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,

(HR person)"

This is the exact email I received

"Thank you for your interest in the position of Personal Banker-Novi, MI. After careful consideration, we regret to inform you that you have not been selected to interview for this position.

Your profile will remain in our system. We encourage you to continue to explore other positions that match your skills and interests. If you selected the option in your profile, you may receive emails from our system regarding other positions that match the preferences you indicated in your profile. We encourage you to visit our career site from time to time to update your profile, in “My Job Finder”, apply for other positions, and learn more about JPMorgan Chase. For your convenience please bookmark this URL, www.jpmorganchase.com/careers.

We thank you again for your interest and wish you all the best in your career.

Sincerely,
JPMorgan Chase Staffing"

I received an email at 2:23 PM stating they received my application. At 2:47 PM I received that rejection email. Within 24 minutes I was rejected.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

30 months ago

I've applied to a job on a Saturday, and been rejected by Sunday evening. I know that not one human eye saw my application, and got cut for some arbitrary reason by the system.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

Frustrated in Sterling Heights, Michigan said: I received an email at 2:23 PM stating they received my application. At 2:47 PM I received that rejection email. Within 24 minutes I was rejected.

I have gotten these as well. Mildred in Personnel is a very fast reader huh? lol!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: I've applied to a job on a Saturday, and been rejected by Sunday evening. I know that not one human eye saw my application, and got cut for some arbitrary reason by the system.

If I told you to find a pair of purple bowling shoes in size 14 EE, you could do it in a minute or two. Online apps uses this same technology.

Mildred in Personnel retired a long time ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Frustrated in Sterling Heights, Michigan said: ... Your profile will remain in our system. We encourage you to continue to explore other positions that match your skills and interests. If you selected the option in your profile, you may receive emails from our system regarding other positions that match the preferences you indicated in your profile. We encourage you to visit our career site from time to time to update your profile, in “My Job Finder”, apply for other positions, and learn more about JPMorgan Chase. For your convenience please bookmark this URL, www.jpmorganchase.com/careers ....

For a system that blacklists and often automatically wipes out 90-99% of names in a matter of minutes to find the "top 10" or "top 20," etc, that is definitely one L-O-N-G paragraph of encouraging rejected applicants to keep applying. And why lie with the "careful consideration" bull crap, trying to pass it off as if real flesh and blood took part in the "interview" or "bust" decision?

Well, people were previously calling Taleo "one-sided" in a way that made quick work for the employer at the expense of the applicants. Now I see exactly what they mean.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

NorthOfTheD in Troy, Michigan said: Well, people were previously calling Taleo "one-sided" in a way that made quick work for the employer at the expense of the applicants. Now I see exactly what they mean.

Its almost impossible to avoid HRIS systems today because it is just the darkside to the technology. Its like the demise of the telephone booth and the increase in the use of voice mail to screen.

However, if you can avoid online apps, especially Taleo by networking or applying to smaller, less tech savvy companies, do it. That is what they told us at one of the one-stop career seminars that I attended.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

NorthOfTheD in Troy, Michigan said: Well, people were previously calling Taleo "one-sided" in a way that made quick work for the employer at the expense of the applicants. Now I see exactly what they mean.

Again, Taleo is customized to the user so the Taleo app that you fill out for Chase is going to be slightly different from the one you fill out at US Bank or IBM. That why companies love it.

Still, the whole point of it is to take 300 apps and spit out the Top Ten. Unless you have a 95% skill set match, filling out a Taleo is just a waste of time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sherro in Templestowe, Australia

30 months ago

I guess the alternative is a HR officer glancing through the first few dozen and then binning the rest without bothering to open them. That's even more hit and miss if their phone beeps as they pick your cv up and simply put in down in the done pile as they read their twitter update.
My advice would be to call if possible and get them to look out for your CV.... Again, if possible. Think about walking into a speed date session with 1000 people in a pub and sorting out the 10 you want to see in 60 mins.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

30 months ago

I got FOUR rejection emails, today. Including this gem, "this is not an indication that you are lacking something."

DAWWWW! I haven't been that softly let down, since my first choice of high school prom date explained to me why she was going with someone else. =D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

30 months ago

Taleo, how I love you so, and how hung up I am on you.

Taleo is a totally outdated, clunky, user unfriendly piece of software - possibly intentionally so in order to cull the list of candidates.

Filling out a Taleo application is like Chinese Water Torture. They make you fill in their little fields, and if, for whatever reason, the computer doesn't like what you've indicated in a certain field, they reject it and make you go re-fill the field. Sometimes, they reject it and make you go back to complete that entire page.

Sometimes, Taleo won't let you fill in the field to indicate what your field of study was or what school you attended. So back you go, possibly to fill in your entire education page because Taleo decided to eradicate it.

Sometimes, when filling in employer fields, they won't allow you to fill it out in the correct order or will show it twice. Go back to correct it, and you just may end up wiping out all of your employment history.

It will take you 45-60 minutes to fill out a Taleo application, if you can successfully navigate it to the end.

Then, the next time you cross paths with Taleo, you may experience frustration before you even start the application process. You see, Taleo has a way of not recognizing your user name and/or password, even though you have filled out an application using the software for the same employer. Ask them to email you your user name and password, fill it in as instructed and it still might not work. Might this be part of the culling process?

Lastly, think about how many user names and passwords you have to remember - one for each Taleo client. Some require letters, numbers and symbols. Others require other things. And some just won't recognize your formerly used user name and password anyway.

Taleo is basically a test of walking over hot coals. Even if you do decide to walk over those hot coals and apply, you likely still will be chopped up by the culling process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (76) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hotdiggity in Ajax, Ontario

30 months ago

I've become a bit sick of filling them out too.
So, I've taken to just putting in the bare minimum of information and count on my uploaded resume/cover letter to do the rest.

For instance; when asked for work history, I only include the title and duration of my last job; no description and no other employers. Same as education.. bare minimum.
I click on all their multiple choice questions and always select "Expert" on the drop-down questions.
Then I click Submit.

It gets the same results as spending the time filling them out. So far..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Parafreegal -

Wow! That sounds awful.. Thankfully, my encounters with Taleo haven't been nearly that chaotic or frustrating. And here I thought having to go back and re-enter a few of the fields was annoying in itself!

I'll definitely keep that all in mind if I come across more company job sites with Taleo software.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

30 months ago

NorthOfTheD in Troy, Michigan said: Can anyone tell me what disadvantages or pains Taleo adds to the average experience of an applicant? I simply remember that previous discussions on this specific recruitment management software were extremely negative from the job seeker's standpoint.

It mangles resumes, takes a long time to complete your profile, and the recruiters don't actually get a chance to see your actual resume, but a summary of it based on how the system ranks you as a candidate. The ranking is often not based on how well you really match the needs.

An ATS (Applicant Tracking System) is just supply chain software applied to people and their talents. It's intended to make the hiring process more cost effective when it does just the opposite. And unfortunately after spending tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars for an ATS or an HRIS that has an ATS component, very few companies are going to abandon them. Throwing good money after bad aside, it would be admitting just how unhelpful the software usually is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Hotdiggity in Ajax, Ontario said: I've become a bit sick of filling them out too.
So, I've taken to just putting in the bare minimum of information and count on my uploaded resume/cover letter to do the rest.

For instance; when asked for work history, I only include the title and duration of my last job; no description and no other employers. Same as education.. bare minimum.
I click on all their multiple choice questions and always select "Expert" on the drop-down questions.
Then I click Submit.

It gets the same results as spending the time filling them out. So far..

One of these days, you're going to flip someone the bird, the guy's going to like it and he's going to hire you, a la Costanza did by Steinbrenner. :D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

equality101 in Georgia

30 months ago

Why doesn't Taleo have the user submit their name, email address, create a password and then simply allow the user to upload their resume? Why all of the filling out of fields with the exact info on the resume? With technology things should be simplified, not time consuming and repetitive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

equality101 in Georgia said: Why doesn't Taleo have the user submit their name, email address, create a password and then simply allow the user to upload their resume? Why all of the filling out of fields with the exact info on the resume? With technology things should be simplified, not time consuming and repetitive.

It is simplified but for the employer not you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Bluetea is probably correct.

I imagine the program sorts and winnows according to what's in the fields.

If a candidate passes through those filters, then a real person probably looks at the resume. So instead of the twit having to screen 250 resumes, he only has to screen 20. Heaven forbid this person actually be taxes any more so than that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Hotdiggity in Ajax, Ontario

30 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: One of these days, you're going to flip someone the bird, the guy's going to like it and he's going to hire you, a la Costanza did by Steinbrenner. :D

Now that would be sweet. Someone to finally recognize and nurture my bad attitude !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

guest in San Francisco, California said: Your resume gets sent to the circular file if you go through Taleo.

The last time I bothered with a Taleo app, the thing was so long that I had to lie down and take a nap, in the middle of it. Never heard a thing so that was my last time.

When I see the "Powered by Taleo" logo, I just back out - which I guess is the whole point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: The last time I bothered with a Taleo app, the thing was so long that I had to lie down and take a nap, in the middle of it. Never heard a thing so that was my last time.

When I see the "Powered by Taleo" logo, I just back out - which I guess is the whole point.

The one upside I'm seeing with Taleo...

After you've inserted your information into all the fields for one job opportunity, it MAY remember that information and save 90% of your time if you apply to other jobs. That's been my experience anyway, but I imagine it can be a very different story for other company job sites using Taleo.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Aurora, Colorado

30 months ago

I don't see the point in ignoring companies that use Taleo, unless your sure that the company wouldn't hire you anyway. If they don't think that your skills match their criteria (which isn't the same as matching their needs - and I don't want to get started on that), you are going to get rejected at some point, and does it really matter if it was by a person or a computer program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

Jeff in Aurora, Colorado said: I don't see the point in ignoring companies that use Taleo, unless your sure that the company wouldn't hire you anyway.

They wouldn't hire me because I have too many blemishes on my work history and the fact that they use Taleo, is an indication to me that the company is besieged by candidates, all of whom are more qualified.

No, if you think you are their Purple Squirrel candidate, go ahead and apply via Taleo. For me, its just not the best use of my time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

NorthOfTheD in Troy, Michigan said: The one upside I'm seeing with Taleo...

After you've inserted your information into all the fields for one job opportunity, it MAY remember that information and save 90% of your time if you apply to other jobs. That's been my experience anyway, but I imagine it can be a very different story for other company job sites using Taleo.

Such is only the case if you're applying to the same employer. But then you know you've already been rejected once. I even had problems logging in my user name and/or password when going back to apply for a second job using Taleo. I think I'm done ever applying via Taleo. With a gap this big, I think I'm automatically disqualified anyway. I need a human to actually read what I'm sending them so that I might not be judged only on my gap. Even this is a long shot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Aurora, Colorado

30 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: They wouldn't hire me because I have too many blemishes on my work history and the fact that they use Taleo, is an indication to me that the company is besieged by candidates, all of whom are more qualified.

No, if you think you are their Purple Squirrel candidate, go ahead and apply via Taleo. For me, its just not the best use of my time.

You won't get hired if you don't apply. I'm going to apply for any job that I see any potential for. I'm not going to rule myself out. If there's a machine that eliminates me, so be it. But I'm going to try until they day they disconnect my electricity and evict me from my house.

I don't think that companies are besieged by people who are more qualified than I am. They do, however, receive lots of resumes from people who are a better match for their arbitrary, and often irrelevant, criteria.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

I always say I won't bother when I see Taleo software pop up, but once again I just filled out another one.

Why ask for your user name and password if you're a new user? It makes it seem like if you've done a prior Taleo app that you can simply use the info from that one. That's not the case.

This time, Taleo's field refused to accept my answer for the number of years I supervised someone in two jobs. I had to fudge it.

When I got the error message that I had to change those fields, Taleo decided to change the zip codes of all my employers. Nice.

Even though I never worked for this employer, and indicated as such, Taleo had to know what union I was in (haha) when I previously worked at this employer. Brilliant.

Then, for something as simple as where I reside, they initially ask your country. Nowhere do they ask for region and city, until you hit submit and it rejects you. It rejects you twice every single time I do a Taleo app - once for region and once for city. Amazing. Simply amazing.

My fingers look lovely now with the nails pulled out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said:
Then, for something as simple as where I reside, they initially ask your country. Nowhere do they ask for region and city, until you hit submit and it rejects you. It rejects you twice every single time I do a Taleo app - once for region and once for city. Amazing. Simply amazing.

My fingers look lovely now with the nails pulled out.

I always have less hair after I fill out a Taleo app. Another reason why I avoid it. lol!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

30 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: It is simplified but for the employer not you.

It's not simpler for the employer; it's as much a PITA for them. It's just as frustrating on the other side.

The only one that really benefits is the one who sold them the software to begin with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

jobseeker in La Grange Park, Illinois

30 months ago

It is true that Taleo is a scourge. However, one is obliged. I thought I would pass on this tip (after losing many hours)for submitting info to HR systems which rely on Taleo.
1. First go to talentexchange.com (which appears to be some until of Taleo)
2. Enter your resume information there ONE TIME: do it carefully, get it right.
3. You give permission to enter that into the talentexchange database of resumes.
They then give you the option to download what you just entered as an .rtf (readable by any version of MS Word) file and/or a .pdf file.
4. The next time you apply for a "Taleo Powered" job, upload that resume (the.rtf file version) instead of your nice looking resume.
5. Then (when applying to a particular employer for a particular job) also upload your "real" resume, the one you so carefully crafted or even paid for if (hopefully) the employer allows you to upload extra documents such as certificates and a cover letter (they nearly always do).
In this way, I still have to add a field here or there when I apply, but I no longer have to face the bowl of spaghetti that Taleo turns my life into unless I speak it's language.
I was shocked to find that this method is in no way advertised by Taleo, I would have expected a magic button you could press on job applications for those who have already done it once.
If you don't agree with my advice, or if you have better advice, please correct me, I'd like to know.
I hope this helps everyone.
Sincerely,
Your Ph.D. in physics, mathematics and computer science…looking for a job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

30 months ago

jobseeker in La Grange Park, Illinois said:
1. First go to talentexchange.com (which appears to be some until of Taleo)
2. Enter your resume information there ONE TIME: do it carefully, get it right.

Then be forced by that company's instance of Taleo to be forced to enter all that same information again. Despite having a 'universal' profile.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: Then be forced by that company's instance of Taleo to be forced to enter all that same information again. Despite having a 'universal' profile.

I don't think there's a short cut either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

guest in San Francisco, California said: IF I see Taleo then I just move on.

Ha! Me too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Snoopy in Dallas, Texas

29 months ago

Wow. I had no idea that Taleo was a system like this. I am happy I came across this forum. I am skeptical of systems that capture all of your personal information in some massive database. It simply makes me not want to apply for the job. I have been applying using Taleo for various jobs but today I saw something that stated Taleo Universal. The other two options were logging in using my google account or yahoo account? I don't understand this. I don't want all of my ultra personal information to be captured by Google or Yahoo. Especially since I heard they never EVER erase profiles. Even when the user deletes the profile.

This is wrong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

29 months ago

Snoopy in Dallas, Texas said: Wow. I had no idea that Taleo was a system like this. I am happy I came across this forum. I am skeptical of systems that capture all of your personal information in some massive database. It simply makes me not want to apply for the job. I have been applying using Taleo for various jobs but today I saw something that stated Taleo Universal. The other two options were logging in using my google account or yahoo account? I don't understand this. I don't want all of my ultra personal information to be captured by Google or Yahoo. Especially since I heard they never EVER erase profiles. Even when the user deletes the profile.

This is wrong.

I wouldn't do that. Noooo. Five years from now, they might ship you off to the "work camps". LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

BIDude in San Francisco, California

29 months ago

Taleo is an abomination.

Here is a simply example. I'm forced, every time I've had to fill it out, to list my location. It works fine for US/State but my city isn't listed and Taleo has offices in the city where I live. I have to say I live in a city about 30 miles away from where I actually live.

The interface is poor, especially when searching for jobs. You have to click, forcing the javascript to open, but then you have to go back, which sometimes loses your search. The search itself is awkward to perform, especially if the company has multiple locations to search. It's just painful to work with.

And, I've never, not once, received an automatic job notification from a Taleo system that matched my skillset. Not one.

You can blame that on the company implementing the product, but, it's this way every time I'm forced to use it.

I will give it one thing, if you've ever applied to a government job (city or county) that can actually be worse. I applied to one that required I answer questions on a paper form and fax it to them.

I know why HR systems buy it but it's getting in the way of talent and their jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

BIDude in San Francisco, California said: Taleo is an abomination.

Here is a simply example. I'm forced, every time I've had to fill it out, to list my location. It works fine for US/State but my city isn't listed and Taleo has offices in the city where I live. I have to say I live in a city about 30 miles away from where I actually live.

Ha! Yes, I had to deal with that same experience. The biggest joke of all during my last "Taleo run" is that the main office location to the company I was applying for (there are actually 3 large buildings next to each other that practically compose a mini outdoor mall) was located in same city I live in... and the Taleo software wouldn't even recognize it! I had to list an entirely different nearby city.

And don't you love the agreement you have to sign/check at the end that strictly warns you about the penalty of providing any false or incorrect information whatsoever? Nice, Taleo... only you.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BI Dude in San Francisco, California

29 months ago

NorthOfTheD in Troy, Michigan said: Ha! Yes, I had to deal with that same experience. The biggest joke of all during my last "Taleo run" is that the main office location to the company I was applying for (there are actually 3 large buildings next to each other that practically compose a mini outdoor mall) was located in same city I live in... and the Taleo software wouldn't even recognize it! I had to list an entirely different nearby city.

I didn't say it earlier, I guess I was trying to be coy, private, or something, I dunno, the city is Dublin, CA, which is their corporate headquarters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

29 months ago

BIDude in San Francisco, California said: Taleo is an abomination.

And, I've never, not once, received an automatic job notification from a Taleo system that matched my skillset. Not one.

I will give it one thing, if you've ever applied to a government job (city or county) that can actually be worse. I applied to one that required I answer questions on a paper form and fax it to them.

I know why HR systems buy it but it's getting in the way of talent and their jobs.

Companies love it but I just back out when I see the "Powered by Taleo" logo.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

BIDude in San Francisco, California said:

I've applied for jobs with the Feds. I'd like to know who writes those job descriptions and job application instructions because they are simply insane. I'm convinced the Feds never hire anyone from these applications through usa job dot gov.

But I still think Taleo is worse, so that's saying a lot.

And I doubt HR departments care about how unfriendly, clunky and infuriating Taleo is to use. I'm convinced it's part of the weed out process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.