Diversity

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Jobseeker in Concord, California

15 months ago

Here's a question for folks. Why do companies stress that they're "into diversity", when in reality they want you to be "their version of you", instead of allowing you to be "your version of you"? I take it they're only interested in allowing it, "at their convenience"? I don't want to be their corporate puppet. But they don't seem to want anything else. True, a person is supposed to be a reflection of the company they work for because you're representing them, but why do I have to lose who I am in that process? And no, I have no examples to mention. But I figure folks will get the jist of what I'm saying here anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Jobseeker in Concord, California said: Here's a question for folks. Why do companies stress that they're "into diversity", when in reality they want you to be "their version of you", instead of allowing you to be "your version of you"? I take it they're only interested in allowing it, "at their convenience"? I don't want to be their corporate puppet. But they don't seem to want anything else. True, a person is supposed to be a reflection of the company they work for because you're representing them, but why do I have to lose who I am in that process? And no, I have no examples to mention. But I figure folks will get the jist of what I'm saying here anyway.

Its just BS and has been for years. They claim they want diversity to keep the EEOC off their back.

Unless you work as a roadie for The Grateful Dead, any strong statements of individuality will not be tolerated for very long.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker in Concord, California

15 months ago

I hate that thought, but I think you're right. :-(

As to the EEOC stuff, I think the updating of their list is LONG overdue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Jobseeker in Concord, California said: I hate that thought, but I think you're right. :-(

As to the EEOC stuff, I think the updating of their list is LONG overdue.

Well,, the EEOC hasn't had any teeth for a long time. As much as people scream about filing a complaint, an EEOC case has to be: Open, Notorious and Numerous.

Just because they didn't hire you because you have Metallica tattooed on your forehead doesn't mean you have an EEOC case.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

15 months ago

Jobseeker in Concord, California said: Here's a question for folks. Why do companies stress that they're "into diversity", when in reality they want you to be "their version of you", instead of allowing you to be "your version of you"?

Diversity is a survival trait. If we were all, exactly alike, the first plague that came along would wipe us out. But, alas, that isn't how it seems to work.

The best manager I ever worked with was a guy who had an incredibly diverse group of people under him. I wasn't under him, but I did a lot of work for him and, I think, you could almost argue we were a band of pirates. The one thing he always said was "I want people who are different than me and even smarter. That's the one thing I get right." He got a lot more than that right but it was a good point.

When the great purge happened that diversity was wiped out. You got on the plan, or, you got out. Two years later one guy has a thriving business, my former employer, gone.

I think there are two possible things going on. First, insecure management has trouble with people who think independently. They don't know how to let them run free, and yet, keep them under "enough" control at the same time. They are intimidated by free-thinkers.

The other thing that has happened, and really it's always been the case, is that "smart" people set the rules. That's why they are manager's, right? So they want to structure everything right down to what you can have on your desk. Yes, I know of places that do that.

It's just one more reason the whole thing sucks. Yeah, I'm pretty negative.

Anyways, really diversity is just another corporate BS word. If they were really diverse most likely it wouldn't even enter their minds to announce it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

15 months ago

My boss likes diversity but goes to great lengths to find minorities that can do the job.

Not just hire ____ , _____ and ____ people just to meet a quota.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.