Do professional recruiters waste your time? Do they post non-existent jobs?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 146)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Kyle Mercer in American Fork, Utah

106 months ago

From that point forward, I never hear a word from the recruiter. Our only contact will occur if I initiate it. Often, I have seen these recruiters place ads or postings for jobs that seem to be a good match for me. I ask myself why I am seeing their ad for this position and yet, they haven't bothered to contact me to see if I would be interested. When I contact them, they assure me that I am being considered and yet, I never hear any feedback on how my submission went. Shouldn't I expect to recieve at least one referral when I am "in the system" of these recruiting companies? Is there something about my resume or background that makes me difficult to place? If so, why hasn't a recruiting professional given me any feedback or guidance? I can only conclude that the goal of recruiters is get their pool of candidates as large as possible.

If you can prove me wrong, I would be willing to speak with you. Can you show me documentation from my file before it was "de-activated" showing how many of your clients recieved a copy of my resume? showing how many times my file was pulled as a possible match for one of your clients? showing how may times any attempts were made to contact me? showing any activity in my file before it was de-activated? If not, I will stick with my decision to rely on my own efforts to find the job I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Kyle

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Killgore in Markham, Ontario

70 months ago

I will also add this: recruiter's fee is about $10k to place a $50k per annum job. Most employers would rather use their own resources to find the help versus paying a recruiter to find the candidate. I have given my fair share of opportunities to recruiters- 95% of the time, the efforts are bogus and I find the opportunity on my own.

I will also add to your poo poo list: Randstat, IQ partners, and Bilingual Source. These headhunters really suck.

Reply - Report abuse

Friend in Wheeling, Illinois

70 months ago

Many outside contract recruiters are shifty. Obviously it's best to make a connection with an internal recruiter. I can't tell you how many times I have seen a dozen different recruiters posting ads for the same job. Often a recruiter will repost an ad from a employer's own website in the hopes that they can "pitch" you to the company for a fee, so the employer is not even their actual client. Why deal with them at all? Google a phrase from the job description and you will very likely find the same verbiage posted to the employer's own website. Now you know the company's name. Now go on LinkedIn and see who you know there or if any of your connections do. If not, you can use LinkedIn to identify the hiring manager, HR or internal recruiter and contact them directly.

Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

Of course they do. What they're doing is providing us with false information. They always give you a song and a dance if you call about a particular opening. I think that they use this to collect resume so that when the position does become available, they know who to contact.

Reply - Report abuse

JBVO in Louisville, Kentucky

70 months ago

I have a question about a staffing agency called Mindlance. A recruiter named Bikash e-mailed me today telling me he had a position for a contract loader/data entry position. He gave the most briefest overview via e-mail and called me a few times. I asked him to give me a rundown of the job in writing along with the payscale and what company it was with and he told me he would tell me all that over the phone and requested that I give him a time when I'm available to talk.

Has anyone dealt with Mindlance before, and if so, could someone give me some advice about this place?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Reply - Report abuse

Depressed in Stamford in Stamford, Connecticut

70 months ago

Kyle, you are NOT off base at all! This is soo true! Yes it happens all the time. These staffing agencies post these fake ads, you send the resume to them, they call you and want to meet with you, you fill out the application which tells them were you worked, your references, and some even want to know of the places you recently applied to, all the information they crave.for So now they can call these companies and have a name to ask for provided that the companies you worked for are still around and tell them that they have such great candidates to fill your openings. When you keep calling the firms back they never seem to have jobs that you would be a good match for, because they don't really have jobs to fill. Makes you wonder how a business can keep going on, as posting fakes jobs on the major boards is not a free service. I am glad you sent them a letter like that. Find out the branch manager, the President at HQ and email them a letter as well. I am sure that they know that some of us know they are fake, especially people who have been out of work for a while will catch on after following the boards and realizing that your voice mails never get returned, that is why they always want to know who is calling, so if you are not a company wanting a temp, they are not interested in talking to you once they have what they wanted...your information.

Reply - Report abuse

Need A New Job in Atlanta, Georgia

69 months ago

I'm going to agree with you on this. I've had two interviews with two different recruiters. The first one was actually referred to me personally (meaning the recruiter actually knew my contact and was constantly calling my contact asking for candidates). I went to meet with her, and she kept me waiting for 45 minutes! She said she would forward some jobs to me later that evening. I never heard back.

The second one I went to seemed really great. I had a good feeling about her. She said she would contact me weekly. The first week after the interview I followed up with her (I've heard following up with recruiters/jobs lets them know you're interested). She said she had forwarded my info on to the top recruiting manager. The next week she emailed me with general bs.
I never heard back from her either.

I'm done with recruiters as well.

Reply - Report abuse

So Very Tired in Montreal, Quebec

69 months ago

I have had the same experience with these agencies. They call you about what sounds like a great job and schedule you to come in supposedly to discuss the possibilities. You get there and the secretary sits you down by a computer screen and gives you these time-wasting tests for an hour or so before you actually meet with someone. You then get grilled for 10 minutes and told even if this job doesn't materialize, they've got plenty of others. And oh yes, either way, they will call you back with the decision.

They never call you back. You never hear from them again. I've had these "little girls" from agencies call me with these supposed jobs many times and then promise to get back to me always with no intention to do so. They flat out lie.

I never thought about the jobs not existing in the first place until I read the stuf on this thread. It all makes perfect sense now.

Reply - Report abuse

Mangomango in Gardendale, Alabama

69 months ago

I am with one now. They have put me in a few jobs. Both of the jobs I had, the company gave me no notice that they didn't need me anymore. The first one, I came in to find the lady I was filling in for came back. I was then told to go home. The second one, on my day off told me not to come back the next day. They have called me a few times, but you have to call them. 99% of the time they don't answer so you end up leaving messages for weeks.

The others I signed up with did the same thing. They have you come in, waste an hour of your life with worthless tests, interview you, tell you they have tons of jobs you are qualified for and that they will put you forward for, then you never hear from them again. When you call a week later, they magically don't have anything. I would not waste your time with them, if you want a permanent job.

Reply - Report abuse

Mark2m in Indialantic, Florida

69 months ago

Look I dont condone their actions but they are sales people with little experience and need to make a living like everyone else. Unfortunately, in this world you get what you pay for, if it was $$ up front than I would expect action period. If there is the potential down the road for $$ from you or the future employer, than it is best to throw something, anything at the wall, hopefully something will stick.
I am retired, but in the past sold hitechnology to the tune of a few million dollars per month. My job required extensive knowledge, travel, and smarts, although the main criteria was a win/win situation with the customer, based upon constant repeat business. Will you represent future or repeat business for this recruiter? or is he in this slot to actually find a better job for himself, think about it. At times when I was unemployed the best means of finding a job was to be involved as a conduit between the future employer and myself prior to you the customer. In most cases they dont care, the firm has little incentive to find you a job, its a number game, just like cold calling, 2% will actually buy. Yes the recruiter needs resume the more the better, and remember in most cases he is on commission, and possibly pays for his desk, his phone, his computer usage, and just another body out there.

Reply - Report abuse

That Guy in Brooklyn, New York

69 months ago

Mark2m,

Yes they are sales people in a sense but I think the topic of this thread is more the bait and switch they pull. Not to mention the posting on non-existent jobs for the sake of collecting leads and pumping up their applicant pool to make themselves look better to potential clients when they have no intention of filling a job that doesn't exist. If they don't have any potential matches for you they shouldn't ask you into the office to fill out the paper work, go through the motions and waste your time, simply so they can get another resume in the system or worse yet... To use your information to market themselves to your past employers and references, etc.

Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Lynn, Massachusetts

64 months ago

I agree that they waste your time and hope you find a job another way. Linkedin is another waste of time.

Reply - Report abuse

ITGuy in Canyon Country, California

62 months ago

I've been in IT for 14+ years, haven't received a single job through a recruiter.

Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Chicago, Illinois

62 months ago

When Office Team contacted me, I found out that the recruiter had just started that week. Why are they hiring more staff when they don't have the jobs to place people. I was cleaning out my drawer and came across their business card and looked them up in Linkedin and noticed that the person no longer works there, it was just under a year. Talk about job hoppers, every year or two was a different job, and these were not temp jobs either.

Reply - Report abuse

TryingHardToFindWork in Arlington, Virginia

62 months ago

These recruiting jobs are basically sales jobs. You don't meet your quota and you're out the door.

Reply - Report abuse

TryingHardToFindWork in Arlington, Virginia

62 months ago

hoapres in San Jose, California said: We don't need more recruiters.

We need more jobs.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

62 months ago

In my field in my city, it's all through the agencies. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point everyone working in my field and in my position is a contract employee. That's how bad the employment situation has gotten in this job sector.

Reply - Report abuse

Yep in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

62 months ago

I'm no fan of recruiters either, all they do is fill you up with false hope and then give you the run around. I took my resume off careerbuilder so they wouldn't bother me anymore.

Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

TryingHardToFindWork in Arlington, Virginia said: These recruiting jobs are basically sales jobs. You don't meet your quota and you're out the door.

Of course they are. They're salespeople.

Reply - Report abuse

Sick of being Jobless in Park Ridge, Illinois

62 months ago

Don't you just hate it when recruiters say they found your resume online and want to set up some time to "Go over your job history" you have the resume, that should tell you my job history, don't waste my time with that, Talk to me about Jobs that fit that resume!!

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

62 months ago

hoapres in San Jose, California said: Companies doing a "broadcast" which is sending the same job to multiple agencies makes it worse. It is not uncommon for 10+ agencies to compete for the same job.QUOTE]

The last company I worked for would routinely give a posting to at least 5 different agencies. They were looking for the lowest bidder.

Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Why do hiring coordinators rely on recruiters? I know they do it so save time, but recruiters are morons who are full of guff. They're going to lie to the hiring coordinator just the same as they do to the candidates. It's all bull.

Hiring coordinators should simply post the job to their website so that it's captured by sites like Indeed and SH. They'll get a ton of resumes that way. I realize many will be unqualified, but it's not too hard to screen resumes.

Going through a moron recruiter and paying the recruiter $10K if they end up hiring someone through the recruiter is a waste of money. Do firms really save that much money going that route?

It all just boggles the mind.

Also, recruiting firms post fake ads. That means that even if you search the language used in their ads you won't find the office hiring. There's no way Robert Half has 10 new jobs a day in this city in my field. Absolutely NO WAY.

Reply - Report abuse

BKC in Vancouver, British Columbia

61 months ago

I am seeing the same thing happening to me. I have been applying for jobs but nothing. All they want me to do is just open an account with them through their website. I was told by a recruiter that things like that do happen. Waste of time.

Reply - Report abuse

Kelly

61 months ago

What is your profession / field Parafreegal?

Lots of fake job postongs on job boards looking for personal info and contacts. I am now babysitting for $350 a week while collecting unemployment. I can only do this for so long.

Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Resume submissions via CL (where you're responding blindly) are the likely source of the recorded calls I get re health insurance and "my credit card" as well as the one spam email I get every couple of days or so.

Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Good post, hoapres.

It's a cycle that never ends and results in nothing other than the job sites pulling in revenue from the recruiter ads. I'm not about to feel sorry for anyone working for a recruiter though. No way.

Reply - Report abuse

Jakesongs in Newmarket, Ontario

49 months ago

Very good discussion everybody, and I agree with absolutely everything.
I recently was actually sent on an interview by an agency (took me a while to recover from the shock).
I was interviewed (individually) by 2 managers from the company. The first went very well in my opinion and the 2nd problaby not so well (no problem, that's the point of interviews). This agency (GSI Group) did not even have the courtesy to contact me to let me know if I had been offered the job or not. When I called them, I was told the hiring manager that I was interviewed by was on vacation and would not return for a week (you can't tell me that GSI did not call them to find out the result of the interview). I waited a week - nothing, no phone call, no email, nothing.
I only have myself to blame. I need to wean myself off these agencies and start using alternative methods of obtaining contacts.
Reading this did at least make me feel better. If everybody else is having the same thoughts and theories as me, then I'm not crazy after all.

I wish everybody on this forum all the best in their future employment endeavours.

Reply - Report abuse

Jean760

48 months ago

And they start on Craigslist.org. I have applied for more than 50 jobs on Craigslist and not a single response. I found out only from job prospects from recruiters with verbatim description on craigslist postings. Even recruiters themselves respond to those ads in hope of getting the job search from that company, if it was a direct posting. That is why it says "Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster." on the ad because I can safely bet that the agencies themselves are getting inquiries from their fellow recruiters.

Only respond with direct link to a company website.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

48 months ago

Jean760 said: And they start on Craigslist.org. I have applied for more than 50 jobs on Craigslist and not a single response. I found out only from job prospects from recruiters with verbatim description on craigslist postings. Even recruiters themselves respond to those ads in hope of getting the job search from that company, if it was a direct posting. That is why it says "Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster." on the ad because I can safely bet that the agencies themselves are getting inquiries from their fellow recruiters.

Only respond with direct link to a company website.

Craigslist needs to charge $100 to post a job. Just to get rid of the scammmers and perverts. I have never had luck with Craigslist.

Reply - Report abuse

Jean760

48 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Craigslist needs to charge $100 to post a job. Just to get rid of the scammmers and perverts. I have never had luck with Craigslist.

Yes, that $100 becomes part of their recruitment cost to pool candidate profile.

Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

48 months ago

CL does carry allot of "fake" ads. But allot of smaller companies with legit jobs post there. It's actually one of the better job sites. It has a bad rap because of the killings a few years back.

After awahile you can easily tell the phone ads. They are written the same way.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

phony

Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

48 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: CL does carry allot of "fake" ads. But allot of smaller companies with legit jobs post there. It's actually one of the better job sites. It has a bad rap because of the killings a few years back.

I have to agree. It has it's problems but it's often better than the big job dumps. There are usually small regional sites that aren't too bad as well. The only problem with both of those is that you often run into bottom-feeders but you get those everywhere.

Reply - Report abuse

Calam in San Jose, California

48 months ago

Yes, I am certain they do. Back a few years ago when I was unemployed (we move around a lot due to my husband's job so I've been on and off the unemployment train quite a bit lately) I applied for a job with a company called AppleOne. It was a fairly generic listing for a Graphics Assistant. I applied and was set up with an appointment within a few hours of applying for said job.

The day before I was scheduled to go in I was called and told (via voicemail as I missed the call) that upon further inspection of my resume they would not be able to work with me and cancelled my appointment. I called them back after that and asked to speak to a supervisor who then profusely apologized and told me that after looking at my resume again that they had a GREAT company to place me in. I pressed for more details about the company (like, you know, the name of the place or how much I'd be making) and she wasn't able to provide them. I told them I'd think about it and never called back.

I noticed then that the Graphic Assistant position of theirs kept showing up. And proceeded to do so for the next six months. It was a generic posting which they used to get more applicants in. And was a major waste of time because not only did I spend time filling out their online form but if I had actually gone in (expecting to potentially be placed) I would have spent hours doing 'placement tests'.

I don't even apply to the jobs that post up under placement agencies these days. At one point I would have recommended temp agencies, as in the past I have gotten full time permanent work that way, but at this point I don't think it is worth the bother.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

48 months ago

Calam in San Jose, California said: Yes, I am certain they do. Back a few years ago when I was unemployed (we move around a lot due to my husband's job so I've been on and off the unemployment train quite a bit lately) I applied for a job with a company called AppleOne. It was a fairly generic listing for a Graphics Assistant. I applied and was set up with an appointment within a few hours of applying for said job.

The day before I was scheduled to go in I was called and told (via voicemail as I missed the call) that upon further inspection of my resume they would not be able to work with me and cancelled my appointment. I called them back after that and asked to speak to a supervisor who then profusely apologized and told me that after looking at my resume again that they had a GREAT company to place me in. I pressed for more details about the company (like, you know, the name of the place or how much I'd be making) and she wasn't able to provide them. I told them I'd think about it and never called back.

I noticed then that the Graphic Assistant position of theirs kept showing up. And proceeded to do so for the next six months. It was a generic posting which they used to get more applicants in. And was a major waste of time because not only did I spend time filling out their online form but if I had actually gone in (expecting to potentially be placed) I would have spent hours doing 'placement tests'.

I don't even apply to the jobs that post up under placement agencies these days. At one point I would have recommended temp agencies, as in the past I have gotten full time permanent work that way, but at this point I don't think it is worth the bother.

I tempted about 10-12 years ago and went from one assignment to another but that was a different time.

Reply - Report abuse

TR in Hickory, North Carolina

48 months ago

Kyle,

I agree and can relate completely. I've been on the job market for the last 3 years and have been contacted by 55 recruiters statewide. The process is the same for all of these clowns, they call you or email you and want to meet, you go to their office and they go over your resume and have you take some silly assessment only to tell you "uh, we don't really have anything right now but we'll reach out to our clients and see what we can make happen, your resume looks good so I think we can get you something good". blah blah blah. They are all bulls*itters basically, they only want your info on record to make their company look good and to show they have this huge database of qualified people, but to hell with putting these people to work that's not what they care about. It's a complete waste of time to use these people, from Robert Half, Ettain group (the worst), Manpower, Accrue partnes and all the others, they don't find people work they exist for themselves, that's all. You're better off avoiding these liars.

Reply - Report abuse

Shadow421 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

48 months ago

Here is the dirty secret about recruiters, THEY DON'T WORK FOR YOU! I know it's messed up, but it is what it is. Do they charge you for their service? No they did not. So how do they make money? The businesses that hire them pay them for the workers that are sent to them. The staffing agency then takes some of that fee and pays the worker and the rest goes to the agency.

It's not in the agency's best interest to not find candidates for these businesses because they will not get paid. At the same time, they do need to have a large data bank of resumes, to market themselves to businesses. I do think that they lure candidates in with fake ads to bolster their data banks.

At the end of the day, the only one who has your best interest at heart is YOU. Don't send your resume to these agencies thinking that they will find you a job. It's your job to find you a job. Their job is to ind the best candidates for their clients (businesses). If that happens to be you, then great, you guys can do business. If not, then move on.

I know it sucks when these guys give you false hope, but that's life unfortunately. I know, I've been there. Don't you also get false hope when you get an interview on your own with a company and things go great and you don't get the job. Did you get mad at that company for wasting your time? Or did you move on? I know it's hard, but all you can do is keep trying. That's what I did, and thankfully it paid off. Best of luck.

Reply - Report abuse

Allen in Saint Louis, Missouri

48 months ago

I would take that one step further and say that HR people in general are wasting my time. Typically, I'll submit my resume and a cover letter specifically written for the position online, have a great phone interview, then I'll get called in for a face-to-face; sometimes traveling hundreds of miles. Then, at least 5 times in 10, the HR guy will pull out my resume, look at it like he never saw it before, and find a reason not to hire me in less than two minutes.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

48 months ago

Allen in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I would take that one step further and say that HR people in general are wasting my time. Typically, I'll submit my resume and a cover letter specifically written for the position online, have a great phone interview, then I'll get called in for a face-to-face; sometimes traveling hundreds of miles. Then, at least 5 times in 10, the HR guy will pull out my resume, look at it like he never saw it before, and find a reason not to hire me in less than two minutes.

Many times, there is an internal candidate and you are there to make things look Kosher.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Shadow,

I think especially with big agencies, the recruiters have to interview and test a certain number of candidates per week even if they know the candidate being called in isn't really going cut the mustard. Why?

Because big companies are notorious with numbers. Number of phone calls per day, number of appointments per week, number of interviews, number of actual placements per month, etc.

My financial advisor told me he used to work for some large insurance comp. He had to make 10 calls in person a day. Now he works for a small firm where THEY TRUST HIM that he's working and not goofing off on the golf course and they solely judge him on the numbers. He sometimes makes 3 calls a day!

But in general, job seekers are so negative in regards to recruiters because they aren't honest with us. It's the little lies. I could go on but I told the stories before......

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

I meant,

They solely just my financial adv on his getting new clients.

Reply - Report abuse

moneynolivehere in Perris, California

48 months ago

I wonder how hard it would be to start a staffing agency out of your home? Make a fictitious website for applicants, get your staffing agency name out there, so employeers actually do turn to you, and then just set up your own interviews with the applicants and send em off to your real clients and take a cut of their paycheck. lol

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

moneynolivehere in Perris, California said: I wonder how hard it would be to start a staffing agency out of your home? Make a fictitious website for applicants, get your staffing agency name out there, so employeers actually do turn to you, and then just set up your own interviews with the applicants and send em off to your real clients and take a cut of their paycheck. lol

Believe it or not.....that is what happens 50 percent of the time.

To make a long story short 3 people quit a NY agency once it is sold.

One moves down to NC and opens an actually office. The 2 others go to work for him but stay in NY working from their home. True story. On the website they list jobs in NC, NJ, NY, and I don't know how but Ohio too.

AND, the website is fabulous.

Reply - Report abuse

Keith in Sheffield Lake, Ohio

48 months ago

I don't understand why anyone would use a staffing agency, unless the employer specifically tells you they hire through them.

I mean how hard is it to google and look for businesses? Look in your telephone book, drive through your business streets on Sundays to gather names and addresses. Then google for their web pages and information. Then call them or walk in the following week.

If you do this enough you learn what the companies do, and oftentimes when you see a recruiters ad, you can deduce which company it is for.

Call the businesses after hours to hack through the employee directory voice mail. You can google the names with the business name and sometimes you can get their title, etc.

I've also been able to google employees and find their facebook pages and boy are some of them inferiors. Yet they get the jobs.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Oh yeah and search the resume section here. You can see what your competition is like. I searched my last employer and found a bunch of my ex-coworkers resumes here. And boy did some lie out the wazoo on their experience and duties.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Shadow,

I think especially with big agencies, the recruiters have to interview and test a certain number of candidates per week even if they know the candidate being called in isn't really going cut the mustard. Why?

Because big companies are notorious with numbers. Number of phone calls per day, number of appointments per week, number of interviews, number of actual placements per month, etc.

My financial advisor told me he used to work for some large insurance comp. He had to make 10 calls in person a day. Now he works for a small firm where THEY TRUST HIM that he's working and not goofing off on the golf course and they solely judge him on the numbers. He sometimes makes 3 calls a day!

But in general, job seekers are so negative in regards to recruiters because they aren't honest with us. It's the little lies. I could go on but I told the stories before......

Joe Gagil, you are right, but the key here is, they have to place job seekers in order to make money. Businesses are not paying them to show them numbers all day. The individual recruiters are being pressured to produce these kinds of numbers by their bosses, who don't care how it gets done.

Like I said before, the one who has your best interest at heart is you. All parties are basically in C.Y.A. mode.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Keith in Sheffield Lake, Ohio said: I don't understand why anyone would use a staffing agency, unless the employer specifically tells you they hire through them.

I mean how hard is it to google and look for businesses? Look in your telephone book, drive through your business streets on Sundays to gather names and addresses. Then google for their web pages and information. Then call them or walk in the following week.

If you do this enough you learn what the companies do, and oftentimes when you see a recruiters ad, you can deduce which company it is for.

Call the businesses after hours to hack through the employee directory voice mail. You can google the names with the business name and sometimes you can get their title, etc.

I've also been able to google employees and find their facebook pages and boy are some of them inferiors. Yet they get the jobs.

Keith, I agree with you. But you have to understand the entire process of hiring a new employee (especially for a high paying job with lots of responsibilities) is a rather large task. Especially in this economy, an HR manager could receive at least 100 resumes for a single open position. He/she would then have to pick a few out of that batch to interview. This is on top of all the other responsibilities they have.

The point is, that rather then go through all of that trouble, it is often more cost effective to pay a third party to do all of that for them. Now while it is true that you could google the company yourself, a lot of times, the companies in question are not well known and will sometimes ask for anonymity from the recruiters. I myself have been sent on an interview for a small private company through Aerotek. I first had to interview with Aerotek, and then they forwarded my resume to the company who then asked Aerotek to send me over to them.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Keith in Sheffield Lake, Ohio said: I don't understand why anyone would use a staffing agency, unless the employer specifically tells you they hire through them.

In the end, I didn't get that job. I have applied to many staffing agencies and have been called by staffing agencies who found my resume online. Thinking back now, I have never found a job through a staffing agency. I have found the most effective way is to show up and apply in person. Staffing agencies are a good SUPPLEMENT to you job search. But as I said before, the final responsibility lies with YOU.

Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Yep I hear you. Reluctantly I tried some staffing agencies to give them a chance -- including Aerotek. Not one sent me out on an interview.

Reply - Report abuse

outofworkITtech in Yorktown Heights, New York

47 months ago

I know in IT corporations have been using contractors as employees for years.
I've worked with people who have been "contracting" at large corps for 5, 8, 11 years. They are low paid, un benefited, day laborers. They also work right along side employees who do the same work, take the same instructions, work on the same projects, etc but get paid more and have benefits/retirement/etc.. You will not find these "jobs" posted on the company website. You have to go through a recruiter. It's anti EOE and probably illegal, but no one is looking into it.

I do level II desktop support and will never see those positions on company websites. They don't want "employees" due to short sided, penny wise, pound foolish cost reasons.

So, at least in my field, jobs are kept secret from job seekers. The recruiter is the gate way. It's a great system for them, but not so much for employment seekers. To add insult to injury, the "client" may pay the "staffing agency" $40 an hour and the staffing agency will hire the cheapest tech they can get for $14 an hour and pocket the difference. And, the staffing firms don't offer benefits, paid time off(unless you want to fund it PTO)or offer crappy and or unaffordable Health insurance.

Right now with millions out of work, they are in the driver's seat.

Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.