Do you apply to jobs to see if they will call you?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (20)

Brooklyn Babe in Brooklyn, New York

31 months ago

Talking to an HR person, they said there are quite a few people that just apply to anything and everything out there. The skills are way off from what the job requires. I am wondering if people do it to see what sticks or that they have to prove that they are actively looking for work and will take the job if given the chance. Many jobs require skills or backgrounds that I do not have, so I do not apply to them, as I know that will be a no call back from them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

NorthOfTheD in Troy, Michigan

31 months ago

Brooklyn Babe in Brooklyn, New York said: Talking to an HR person, they said there are quite a few people that just apply to anything and everything out there. The skills are way off from what the job requires. I am wondering if people do it to see what sticks or that they have to prove that they are actively looking for work and will take the job if given the chance. Many jobs require skills or backgrounds that I do not have, so I do not apply to them, as I know that will be a no call back from them.

If you're applying to 10 jobs a day and your skills and abilities only match the requirement of ONE of those jobs.. and it takes you 10 minutes on average to apply to each job.. you've (most likely) just wasted an hour and a half of your day.

There's no doubt about it. Employers can be picky like never before, and if you don't qualify, they'll sort you out in record time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

31 months ago

Brooklyn Babe in Brooklyn, New York said: Talking to an HR person, they said there are quite a few people that just apply to anything and everything out there. The skills are way off from what the job requires. I am wondering if people do it to see what sticks or that they have to prove that they are actively looking for work and will take the job if given the chance. Many jobs require skills or backgrounds that I do not have, so I do not apply to them, as I know that will be a no call back from them.

Many of them do it to fulfil. some UE requirement. Its actually a waste of time. I have to have at least an 80% match before I apply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

31 months ago

I only apply to things that I have a hope of getting. I've been tempted to apply to things I am no match for a la Frank Abignale, see if I can pass the bah in Louisiana. But that probably only happens in movies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

31 months ago

For the most part, I only apply to direct matches. My field is so splintered that I cannot transfer outside of my area of experience without great difficulty.

I have put in for a handful of jobs outside of my field that I've felt I have the skills and experience to do well, but I've never gotten a call back as a result of any of these inquiries.

I apply to maybe five jobs every week or two as a result. I'm in the third largest city in this country. I just don't see the jobs in my field. I haven't for some time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Investor Guy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

I have applied to a few in locations I don't want to live. I thought after learning about the job I might change my mind but even those I have gotten interviews for I still didn't want to live in the areas and declined to move forward. Now I only apply in areas I actually want to live.

Hotdiggity in Ajax, Ontario

31 months ago

A small business owner/friend told me her story of trying to hire last year.

She told me she had posted a job for some type of engineer/mechanic/welder position.
They received over 150 applications, of which, most had to be trashed because people were applying where the only job experience they had was as a short-order cook or some other nonsense.

Yep in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

31 months ago

I only apply for jobs that I stand at least 70-80% chance at getting. It doesn't make sense to do otherwise.

31 months ago

I apply for jobs that I'm 101% qualified for.
Unfortunately, employers aren't looking for a match to their posted requirements.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

They're looking for BOOB-EHS! =D

(they are)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Hahaha...

It's a little early to be drinking Nick !

Bluetea in Texas

31 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: They're looking for BOOB-EHS! =D

(they are)

And if I had the chance to do it over, I would not have gone to graduate school but gotten boobs instead! Big ones!

Nobody has ever said, 'Heeeey, look at the MBA on that chic". Men are stupid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

I am completely sober! ;) Drinking was last night, and tomorrow night. I can't do it three nights in a row, that's officially alcoholic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

31 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: And if I had the chance to do it over, I would not have gone to graduate school but gotten boobs instead! Big ones!

Nobody has ever said, 'Heeeey, look at the MBA on that chic". Men are stupid.

We are simply, base, visual creatures. We just can't help it.

I think the worst guys are those in positions of power, especially when they're out of town. When I see these types downtown and out and about during the evening, they are extremely bold and just don't care who sees them gawking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

I wish I could afford to travel. I'm a big hit in France, and have been told that I would be in Australia too. All people everywhere crave different. That's why Brits in the USA get away with murder. They could tell you to go eff yourself, but it would sound so pleasant when they do.

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: We are simply, base, visual creatures. We just can't help it.

I think the worst guys are those in positions of power, especially when they're out of town. When I see these types downtown and out and about during the evening, they are extremely bold and just don't care who sees them gawking.

Too bad I can't take the boobs off and let him gawk at them, while I take his credit card and go shopping.

TK in Chicago, Illinois

30 months ago

I would be nice if they would stop or even slow down the people who get these visas they just grant them because the company sponsers them and don't try to find an American who can do the job. What do Americans go to school for, to let foreigners take jobs from them?

30 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: I am completely sober! ;) Drinking was last night, and tomorrow night. I can't do it three nights in a row, that's officially alcoholic.

You're only an alcoholic if you go to meetings.

I just happen to like drinking; so it's different.

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

TK in Chicago, Illinois said: I would be nice if they would stop or even slow down the people who get these visas they just grant them because the company sponsers them and don't try to find an American who can do the job. What do Americans go to school for, to let foreigners take jobs from them?

That boat left already. My last employer didn't hire foreigners - not directly but they didn't make a single thing in the US either.

30 months ago

Eh, I've never gotten really alkie anyway. I am concerned with how fast I can get through a bottle of wine and still not even be slurry, but whatever. At least I'm not nursing whiskey like the musicians.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.