The Effects of Being Unemployed This Long........

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 369)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Alice3 in Dunwoody, Georgia

37 months ago

I would like a few Managers, Supervisors, Temp Agencys, Recruiters, people in general that seem to think the unemployed are shiftless and lazy to read some of these posts. We should not be on your condemned list. We are strong people that are trying to survive in spite of not being able to find work. Who else could survive the devastating effects of being unemployed this long? We keep trying though in spite of it. Being unemployed has been the worst nightmare of my life and Ive been thru plenty. It should not be an act of God to get a job but it sure seems that way! How has beeing unemployed effected you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (67) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

37 months ago

Negatively and something fierce. I've lost almost everything. I really don't have much of a chance at this point. Two interviews a week ago apparently went nowhere - as did the other 20 or so interviews. I'm fed up, basically broke (it's been a long fall), owe a few entities some money and an in trouble on the house now. The demons are knocking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Kansas City, Missouri

37 months ago

Yeah, I've basically given up and frankly getting angry. I applied for some little $10/Hr dead end job and get a link back to take a personality test which will last for apprx 1-1.5 hours, I was thinking are you effing kidding me?? I just marked it as spam. This economy is making employers cocky, arrogant and unrealistic expectations. The only thing that will change it is a long lasting rock solid economy (like back in the 90's) and I just don't see that happening anytime soon.....if ever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Alice3 in Dunwoody, Georgia

37 months ago

Ive applied to jobs paying as little as 8.00 an hr and didnt hear from them. PLUS the long list of duties they wanted for that 8.00. You honetly expect to get an adult for $8.00????? Im passed being angry. I dont even get excited if I get an interview. How they gonna blow me outta the water this time? The concept of being PERFECT gets me bad. The person interviewing you is NOT perfect and never was, yet there they sit in judgement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

xnmmi in Lancaster, California

37 months ago

For me it's the fact that the interviewers are 20 - 25 years younger than I - I'm 53 - and they have no concept of life experience equaling work experience and knowledge. I have been out on workers comp since Nov 2010, my case is ending this month and I cannot go back to the industry I was in. The 10 years of work on my resume' has no bearing on the jobs I have to apply for since I cannot apply for those jobs, so my cover letter documents my past as a manager/administrator but not my resume'. I am patiently waiting to see if anyone will take a flyer on me, because that is what it boils down to. I just need the opportunity to show that I can do the job/fill the position....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

xnmmi in Lancaster, California

37 months ago

...and of course the fact that I cannot find anything that comes close to what I was making, or comes close to even what my WC benefits pay... I told my wife it looks as though I'll have to find 2 full time jobs or at the very least a 14/hr that has 60 hrs a week to make ends meet...then of course the odds of that are like the lotto.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

37 months ago

xnmmi in Lancaster, California said: ...and of course the fact that I cannot find anything that comes close to what I was making, or comes close to even what my WC benefits pay... I told my wife it looks as though I'll have to find 2 full time jobs or at the very least a 14/hr that has 60 hrs a week to make ends meet...then of course the odds of that are like the lotto.

They say that two jobs were lost. The one you had and one you need now. You weren't the only one to be downsized or terminated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

37 months ago

xnmmi in Lancaster, California said: ...and of course the fact that I cannot find anything that comes close to what I was making, or comes close to even what my WC benefits pay... I told my wife it looks as though I'll have to find 2 full time jobs or at the very least a 14/hr that has 60 hrs a week to make ends meet...then of course the odds of that are like the lotto.

They say that two jobs were lost. The one you had and one you need now. You weren't the only one to be downsized or terminated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

37 months ago

xnmmi in Lancaster, California said: For me it's the fact that the interviewers are 20 - 25 years younger than I - I'm 53 - and they have no concept of life experience equaling work experience and knowledge. I have been out on workers comp since Nov 2010, my case is ending this month and I cannot go back to the industry I was in. The 10 years of work on my resume' has no bearing on the jobs I have to apply for since I cannot apply for those jobs, so my cover letter documents my past as a manager/administrator but not my resume'. I am patiently waiting to see if anyone will take a flyer on me, because that is what it boils down to. I just need the opportunity to show that I can do the job/fill the position....

Its difficult to be impressive when the interviewer was only 7 years old when you had all those glorious moments. Its kind of like watching a 65 year old stripper. Oyeeee!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Alice3 in Dunwoody, Georgia

37 months ago

Cable is being turned off, cell phone is being turned off, (have to borrow someone's) had to apply for food stamps, no gas in the car, food stamps will not buy soap to take a shower, shampoo, tooth paste nor toilet paper. Oh, and theres a dog here. Mean time I apply, apply and apply and am not getting anywhere. Talk about frustration? Its well past that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

37 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Its difficult to be impressive when the interviewer was only 7 years old when you had all those glorious moments. Its kind of like watching a 65 year old stripper. Oyeeee!

Are you serious?

I don't think there are 65 yr old strippers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

37 months ago

Alice3 in Dunwoody, Georgia said: I would like a few Managers, Supervisors, Temp Agencys, Recruiters, people in general that seem to think the unemployed are shiftless and lazy to read some of these posts. We should not be on your condemned list. We are strong people that are trying to survive in spite of not being able to find work. Who else could survive the devastating effects of being unemployed this long? We keep trying though in spite of it. Being unemployed has been the worst nightmare of my life and Ive been thru plenty. It should not be an act of God to get a job but it sure seems that way! How has beeing unemployed effected you?

In Sales it's all about confidence. Being in the zone.

I've lost my confidence. Very depressed and tired now.

Tired of leaving in the morning pretending to go to work.

Not enough being done to create jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

37 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Are you serious?

I don't think there are 65 yr old strippers.

There are a lot of other professions where there aren't too many 65 year olds either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

37 months ago

xnmmi in Lancaster, California said: Thanks for that insight...but I was neither downsized or terminated...maybe you should pay more attention to what you read.

The insight is free and as my Daddy use to say, "Free advice is often worth what you paid for it". Don't take it literally. Heh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

37 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: The insight is free and as my Daddy use to say, "Free advice is often worth what you paid for it". Don't take it literally. Heh!

Your to cheery.

You need to get in line with all the other depressed suicidal job seekers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

37 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Your to cheery.

You need to get in line with all the other depressed suicidal job seekers.

Not quite ready for the Smith & Wesson Retirement plan. My understanding is that there have been quite a few who have joined.

Course, suicides are not reported unless its a celebrity but a few days ago, a guy near where I live, stepped calmly in front of a train. I get the local news at Earl's Diner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bever B in Fessenden, North Dakota

37 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: They say that two jobs were lost. The one you had and one you need now. You weren't the only one to be downsized or terminated.

Employers have found they can Get ONE PERSON to do someone's elses work and just pay that ONE half as much as the second would cost by simply letting him/her receive Overtime at 1.5

this stresses the laid off worker slightly due to unemployment benefits being modest amt$ and it stresses the Overtime Worker who really should not have to do tht much work.

this stress in turn becomes Customer Stress due to poor performance of the Worker and then the Business gets stressed when Customers go off to somewhere else.

Then someone else gets laid off because Business is Down :(
etc etc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alice3 in Dunwoody, Georgia

37 months ago

But they want you to work till your 70 or so! Mean time they wont hire you in your late 50's let alone older. Even the retail jobs wont take you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

37 months ago

Bever B in Fessenden, North Dakota said: Employers have found they can Get ONE PERSON to do someone's elses work and just pay that ONE half as much as the second would cost by simply letting him/her receive Overtime at 1.5

this stresses the laid off worker slightly due to unemployment benefits being modest amt$ and it stresses the Overtime Worker who really should not have to do tht much work.

this stress in turn becomes Customer Stress due to poor performance of the Worker and then the Business gets stressed when Customers go off to somewhere else.

Then someone else gets laid off because Business is Down :(
etc etc

Sometimes on an online app, they ask "Are you willing to work overtime?" Its not an essay question. You are applying for a job that was previously done by 3 other people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bever B in Fessenden, North Dakota

37 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: Negatively and something fierce. I've lost almost everything. I really don't have much of a chance at this point. Two interviews a week ago apparently went nowhere - as did the other 20 or so interviews. I'm fed up, basically broke (it's been a long fall), owe a few entities some money and an in trouble on the house now. The demons are knocking.

When you are feeling this far 'behind the eight ball' it is hard to interview well! The person hiring you picks up on the negativity and gets confidence issues going on in their mind about you, then away goes the opportunity! good luck, let us know how it all turns out for you over there. You Are Not Alone. Keep Hope.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bever B in Fessenden, North Dakota

37 months ago

I once talked myself into a seasonal position by BEGGING! I told the interviewer (truthfully) my little child had her heart set on a rather expensive baby grand piano and that I had a seller all lined up and Christmas was A'Comin! this was all true.

Also true was the 30 60 90 day late fees on some bills and car payments and babysitting expenses and food clothing shelter and so on but I knew a diligent Human Resources professional was going to do a background check and would either already know all that or find it out so I didn't bring any of it up on interview.

I made sure when I got that toe in the door that Everybody on my Team had my best effort, and that customers had my best effort and that turned into a longer term opportunity for me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

37 months ago

As has been said above, things are well past being angry and frustrated. I have to fight my way UP to those feelings. Leaching off family and friends is no fun when I should be (and want to be) supporting myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alice3 in Dunwoody, Georgia

37 months ago

At least they gave you a chance. My point exactly. If they would just give you a chance. At this point even a weeks salary would be a big help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Alice3 in Dunwoody, Georgia

37 months ago

Hi John ~ was wondering if ya snuck off an got a job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Alice3 in Dunwoody, Georgia

37 months ago

Not enough insentive for the employer to hire. Its all about money. There was talk about a tax break for hiring the long term unemployed then it died. Not enough jobs to go around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

37 months ago

I went out with my folks and Aunt & Uncle to a museum today. Tomorrow is off to my brothers boat with above mentioned folks plus the obvious brother.

Take what enjoyment where I can get it since the soothsayers and tea leaves don't see a job in my future...... gonna try the Ouija board next (a Ouija board exhibit was just set up at one of the museums I volunteer at).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Alice3 in Dunwoody, Georgia

37 months ago

Sounds good and I know what you mean. I was like a crazy person today cause I had to get out of this house and away from this computer for a couple of hrs. Not like Im makeing any progress so hey! Thats alot of the problem. Not makeing any progress. Not getting anywhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Linden, New Jersey

37 months ago

Pretty much what everyone has said. Between what happened to me on a personal level and losing my good job 2.5 years ago, I have mild to moderate untreated PTSD. Bad periodic panic attacks at night, generally disconnected during the day, etc. I can't wait to qualify for health insurance for my new job in 10 weeks. I'm going to go to the doctor with a laundry list of things that I've waved away/ self-treated for years now.

Also have only been on one date in two+ years. While I can do that now, not doing that for so long has its effects too. I wouldn't psychologically know what to do with a woman if she threw herself at me, as it stands right now. It'll take time for any amount of self-confidence to develop again. Getting rejected so much in Boston re: employment (and dating) got me accustomed to rejection from all fronts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

endoftheworld in Southbury, Connecticut

37 months ago

Of course "they" are just as crazy, just found a decent office assistant job for a Co. I did not know existed nearby AND I've never applied to (it's been awhile since I applied anywheres i've not applied to allready) but they want me to submit the following with my resume:

They want me to write an essay as to why I want this job and why I want to work for this nasal spray co. and why i'd be the best fit AND what i'm looking for in a job in general (like UM a PAYCHECK?)

OMG

Reading the job descript. it's not that basic and I don't know if I even qualify, have to do bookeeping and creating of spreadsheets and databases, none of which i've ever done to any extent I can recall. The pay is $11/hr DOE which not sure if that means $11 PLUS or if you're experienced you get $11 otherwise it's less. Kinda surprised at the low pay, my last job as an OA was $17/hr...I'd generally NOT take under $15 for f/t but whatever, i'll likely not be called in since those questions in interviews allways mess me up. Like how CAN I know i'd be the best person for the job? I have NO psychic abilities I am actually more certain they could get someone much better. I've never met the people and don't know i'd be a good fit esp. since I've never fit in anywheres and as far as interest in the co. that'll be a doozy, I don't use their product and can't say I ever would.

Ya gotta think about the type of person who'd want this kind of job application, definitely one of the weirder ones tho i did apply for another OA few yr.s ago who wanted writing samples and I was like WHAt? I can't copy anything i've written online, i don't have any suitable personal e-mails so I ended up writing an ad for 1 of their clients but the President had seemed surprised that I was so taken aback at the request as if having a writing sample is the most normal thing for secretarial jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

37 months ago

Essays and writing samples? Oh, boy, now you have to be journalist too. Did they ask you if you can hula hoop also?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hello in Santa Monica, California

37 months ago

Hi Alice,

You didn't mention whether or not you are collecting unemployment. My advice for people who are collecting unemployment would be to find a part-time low skill level gig (maybe work 10-15 hours a week). This won't affect your unemployment. You may get slightly less, but the sum of your low-pay job + unemployment will be more than unemployment exclusively.

If you are not collecting unemployment, then try to work more hours, even if you are only earning minimum wage.

I had lost a job, but still had a part-time retail job and picked up some short-term freelance gigs that would only last a couple of days. I also volunteered. This experience isn't part of my overall resume, but I do have a small note that says "Working part-time at Store X, doing freelance Y, and volunteering with Z organization" before elaborating on my professional experience. I still got about 75% of my unemployment benefits, but it takes away that stigma that people ascribe to the unemployed.

It's a sucky situation, unfortunately, but it is best for both your internal spirit and job interviewing to get busy doing something. To be honest, I think my spirit would have been more crushed had I not worked those 15 hours a week. I know you said that you applied for an $8/hr job, but keep trying. It is tough and I wish you the best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dog_Guy in Kansas City, Missouri

37 months ago

I've applied to several jobs that required "writing samples" and all this testing, background checks, credit scores, etc??? things are just a tad bit out of control and the most irritating thing, these were all rather low paying jobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

37 months ago

My suggestion is to never apply to any type of job that: (1) sounds fake; (2) requires writing samples; (3) requires credit scores. Those are red flags.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Linden, New Jersey

37 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: My suggestion is to never apply to any type of job that: (1) sounds fake; (2) requires writing samples; (3) requires credit scores. Those are red flags.

I could be wrong, but I think most employers require a credit check now. Being badly in debt is considered a liability for them.

A lot of retail stores have a 200+ question long required personality test. I can't tell you how many times I did it for Lowe's. Employers can get away with whatever they want, in this market. Even if it's illegal, good luck proving that they did it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dog_Guy in Kansas City, Missouri

37 months ago

Both of these were legit jobs, one with the city. What gets me is the fact these are not high level jobs or involving handling money, etc. Somehow or another, employers seem to think they can get the best and the brightest for a $9/HR job, I think a lot of this silliness is caused by HR "Consultants" selling HR Departments various tools whether it be software, testing or hiring standards, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

37 months ago

Dog_Guy in Kansas City, Missouri said: Both of these were legit jobs, one with the city. What gets me is the fact these are not high level jobs or involving handling money, etc. Somehow or another, employers seem to think they can get the best and the brightest for a $9/HR job, I think a lot of this silliness is caused by HR "Consultants" selling HR Departments various tools whether it be software, testing or hiring standards, etc.

The whole job search~interview process has gotten out of hand.

I sometimes use the Dept of Labor computer center and chuckle when I see 16 year olds getting irritated doing 100 question multiple choice tests for Wal-Mart and Shoprite Supermarkets.

Hey, you like that little fancy symbol I used above?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

37 months ago

Dog_Guy in Kansas City, Missouri said: Both of these were legit jobs, one with the city. What gets me is the fact these are not high level jobs or involving handling money, etc. Somehow or another, employers seem to think they can get the best and the brightest for a $9/HR job, I think a lot of this silliness is caused by HR "Consultants" selling HR Departments various tools whether it be software, testing or hiring standards, etc.

I agree. Software developers also see a whole new market here and pitching "talent acquisition" products to companies, is now, the latest rage.

It reminds me of that period about 10-15 years ago when they kept coming up with all these silly management styles: Just in Time, MBO, "teaming", re-engineering, process improvement, etc. Every week, we were reinventing the wheel.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

37 months ago

I've always believed that Recruiters who when you take off all the fancy color wrapping are really just Salespeople, and, have gotten company Human Resource depts to buy into all of this crap.

(And because of Recruiters the bar has been set way toooooo high making this truly a miserable experience).

Alice, if your still alive and breathing today......you do what you have to to get that job. Lying is OK if it means putting food on the table and paying the bills.

Everything is in play now Alice, but just don't take off your clothes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alice3 in Dunwoody, Georgia

37 months ago

I think it bothers me more when I apply for something that I cant live on (just to get a few dollars in) than the more normal jobs that do pay better. Min wage $7.25, part time and a 90 question (yes 90) "test" and actually make it that golden interview stage and dont get the job because I cant unload a truck. Emmmm Ive noticed that "unload a truck" is on some of these crappy jobs application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alice3 in Dunwoody, Georgia

37 months ago

IF I could make some money doing that I probably would at this point. (And because of Recruiters the bar has been set way toooooo high making this truly a miserable experience Thats puting it mildly. Oh! And dont forget now we have "interns" that work for free in the mix. They told me "possibly" Nov. Nov to me is a long ways off. What am I supposed to do in the mean time? Fight with the dog over who eats today? That was probably just to get me off the phone anyways. I dont believe a word they say. Last wk I had 2 recruits. call me all gung-ho going 90 miles a min about these 2 jobs. This week silence. Temp agencys and recruiters should all..........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

37 months ago

Alice3 in Dunwoody, Georgia said: I think it bothers me more when I apply for something that I cant live on (just to get a few dollars in) than the more normal jobs that do pay better. Min wage $7.25, part time and a 90 question (yes 90) "test" and actually make it that golden interview stage and dont get the job because I cant unload a truck. Emmmm Ive noticed that "unload a truck" is on some of these crappy jobs application.

Must be able to work nights, weekends and every holiday also thins out the herd.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alice3 in Dunwoody, Georgia

37 months ago

Oh yes you have to be avail across the board. Plus holidays. Your supposed to devote your life to them and jump every time they look at you. AND smile about it. Mean time its not enough to even attempt living on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

37 months ago

Testing....sorry the nrop has messed up my system. I need to learn control.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

37 months ago

Testing 1,2,3

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

37 months ago

You passed the test. You're hired!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Investor Guy in San Francisco, California

36 months ago

This has been the most psychologically difficult experience of my life. I have never experienced this level of fear and self doubt before. I hate feeling like a child when I am in my 40's. I am totally dependent on relatives right now and while I am thankful I have at least someone to depend on it does not come without a cost. Everyday I hear the nagging questions about when I will find a job and what steps am I taking to find one? The one thing that has helped is though I am getting older I know I am mentally sharp as ever. I have learned a few new programs recently through self study. This actually has helped my confidence and makes me feel productive.

I just went on an interview last week and my recent time spent studying felt like it paid off. Just in the back of my mind it gave me a confidence that I could do anything they threw at me and I was not just some worthless slob cleaning his fingernails. To my surprise they called me back the next day for a second interview this week. I'm really close but not there yet and there is no second place in this race. If I don't get this job I don't know what I will do. I have all the emotional and financial burdens others have. I don't want to think negative. I hope this is finally it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dakadav in Oakland, California

36 months ago

Investor Guy in San Francisco, California said: This has been the most psychologically difficult experience of my life. I have never experienced this level of fear and self doubt before. I hate feeling like a child when I am in my 40's. I am totally dependent on relatives right now and while I am thankful I have at least someone to depend on it does not come without a cost. Everyday I hear the nagging questions about when I will find a job and what steps am I taking to find one? The one thing that has helped is though I am getting older I know I am mentally sharp as ever. I have learned a few new programs recently through self study. This actually has helped my confidence and makes me feel productive.

I just went on an interview last week and my recent time spent studying felt like it paid off. Just in the back of my mind it gave me a confidence that I could do anything they threw at me and I was not just some worthless slob cleaning his fingernails. To my surprise they called me back the next day for a second interview this week. I'm really close but not there yet and there is no second place in this race. If I don't get this job I don't know what I will do. I have all the emotional and financial burdens others have. I don't want to think negative. I hope this is finally it.

Good luck - may the force be with you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Linden, New Jersey

36 months ago

It's scary that the unemployment rate in NJ is ACTUALLY 10% (it's 9.6, but let's round up). That's means that 1 in every 10 people of working age I see on the street are completely jobless. That's just the people they count. It doesn't include people who have fallen off the radar (unemployed too long, didn't qualify for unemployment, etc.) and the people who do technically work, but not enough to support themselves (almost everyone in retail, merchandisers, "volunteers," "interns.")

If "employed" here means, "making enough income to reasonably sustain yourself without the need for the support of social programs (food stamps, discounted living, welfare, etc.)," I think the unemployment rate is more like 25-30% in a lot of places...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

36 months ago

And of those people, how many have given up hope to the extent they think they may not work again? Even though I look at job openings, I would be unable to say with any confidence that I will ever find a "meaningful", self-sustaining (able to support myself) position again.

The forces I see at work are fewer jobs, lower pay and health issues which prevent me from taking jobs I could have done 20 or more years ago. And lets not forget the ever changing job requirements.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

36 months ago

endoftheworld in Southbury, Connecticut said: "I would like a few Managers, Supervisors, Temp Agencys, Recruiters, people in general that seem to think the unemployed are shiftless and lazy to read some of these posts. We should not be on your condemned listd"

After reading some of these posts here today, thank the Gods they don't!

Amen to End's observation.

I've been hanging around employed folks this past week. In their world, the "unemployeds" are either invisible or a nuisance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.