Employers who don't respond to applicants

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 1085)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

losing_faith in Orlando, Florida

83 months ago

OK - maybe I'm crazy. Maybe I expect too much. Maybe not. I have found that employers and recruiters alike post opportunities on many different websites. They write these massive compliant job descriptions and skills requirements. They state what they want and need in difficult to follow terms. C'est la vie....right? Sure! But.....dedicated jobseekers like myself spend countless hours reading, reviewing, researching, and responding to these postings. Taking time to ascertain who the contact is that will be receiving the application or the hiring manager that will be making the decision. Sending documents into the recruiter for internships. Carefully crafted cover letters and resumes that focus in on making sure the candidate background is understood. Then - NOTHING! Not a simple response that "we have chosen other candidates" not a postcard, a phonecall, NADA! I have even learned that some HR departments and recruiters post job listings when they DON'T EVEN EXIST! They collect the candidate information or it's required based on guidelines! I'm interested to know if I am the only one who is experiencing this aggravation of wasting my time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (374) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Well thank you good soul for making me feel better about being ignored. It's not very often that someone can make someone else appreciate something negative until they realize that they're not alone. I agree with the praise for those that do reply. I would rather hear a rejection regardless of tone than silence. I suppose one could attribute this awful job market to the economy. Others could attribute it different factors influencing hiring. One thing is for certain, it's a tough, brutal process right now except for candidates that are select and rare. I guess I am one of the unfortunate ones that is well-done and plentiful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (72) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Property Manager in West Palm Beach, Florida

83 months ago

Hi Displaced, Funny seeing you here lol..
I gave up job hunting. I put in so many resumes my name must be all over the state of Florida by now. I've only heard from 3 companies and that has been in the last 4 month. Oh well!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

dean suraci in Cornwall On Hudson, New York said: Sometimes you will hear about on the "Today show" with Matt Lauer that they are doing a segment about how to get a job and the things job applicants do wrong during the interview. THEY NEVER TALK OR DISCUSS THE PERSON REPRESENTING THE COMPANY WHO IS ACTUALLY DOING THE INTERVIEW AND HOW UNPROFESSIONAL AND SLOPPY THESES PEOPLE ARE. ABOUT 40 PERCENT OF THEM IN MY RECENT EXPERIENCE HAVE BEEN AWFUL. THEY FORGET THAT THEY ARE REPRESENTING THE COMPANY. I CAN'T WAIT TILL THESE PEOPLE LOSE THEIR JOBS AND THEY HAVE TO GO FOR INTERVIEWS.

Perhaps it would shed them some light on what it means to be on the other side of the desk...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

OK so if you and I started a business advertising a get rich quick scheme we would probably be indicted on fraud charges if one dollar changed hands. Corporate America advertises the same thing EXCEPT their ads are to make money by working. Candidates lose money on paper, ink, internet, time, research costs, and NOT to mention the mental anguish of fruitless labor. The end result is still the same regardless of the scenario -parties in both cases lost money on misleading offers yet prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it won't turn into if only that candidate met the "one" qualification he or she needed then the person would have been hired. Enter the double standard. Companies should NOT advertise positions unless they intend to hire. Even if we advertised a deceptive product BUT had no "intention" to sell it we would still feel the wrath of the situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

LOL! I guess so. I foolishly upgraded my posting on CB to reveal who clicks my profile. I've had all kinds of hits from recruiters that have the SAME looking website design. I guess it's going to be an interesting year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

KS in Huntington Station, New York

83 months ago

I applied to a job, went through the telephone interview which is a competency interview etc from a job posted on careerbuilder. The company said they would schedule an interview face to face which they did and that they had enough applicants. I saw the job reposted a month later. I called the recruiter at the company and said what gives?? He said that careerbuilder will automatically repost the same job if the company doesn't notify them even if the company has enough applicants. I asked him why they didn't notify them , he said they did but sometimes careerbuilder will repost anyway...so go fiquire..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nik van in Tallahassee, Florida

83 months ago

losing_faith in Orlando, Florida: I have been facing similar issues, the worst thing the employers and recruiters do is not update the website once a job is filled or cancelled. I have been applying for 5 jobs in qualcomm for last one year wihtout any response and the posiition is still open. I have started calling whenever possible to find out if the jobs posted are open and more ofetn then not the jobs are already filled. It is so frustrating to find a job u like and then after all the form filling process you come to know the job does not exists. I have a phd and yet i cannot get a job...i really dont know what else I can do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Displaced, I am beggining to like these posts very much since they hit home as you know from the other posts with BC and Kelly. This has been my complaint but I have a double whammy. I'm 63, qualified and never hear back from anyone (well maybe had 3 calls in 4 months). I get it ok, I'm 63, they think I can't do the job, I don't get it when they don't call back with a yes or no. All the interviewers say you are qualified when can you start? End of story, never hear from them again. I follow up with a nice thank you email if I am able to but refuse to call them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dal77 in Columbus, Georgia

83 months ago

Wow, reading this post has really made me realize I am not alone...I was starting to think I was crazy! Same thing w/me..I have applied to several jobs in the last 6 mos, and have heard back (declinations) from only 2. I get several phone calls offers to sell insurance. (I am licensed, but want to change career paths). No one seems to notice that I list several other qualifications on my resume; they see where I have worked for the past 10 yrs, and boom...they want me to sell!!!
Also am seeing the same jobs I applied for being run again on job sites. Very frustrating!
People have mentioned to me that I am probably overqualified for some of the positions I have applied for. Well, if I'm willing to work the job, accept the pay...I don't get it!
Find myself becoming bitter the longer this goes on...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Denver, Colorado

83 months ago

I agree that I'd rather hear a rejection than silence. But I don't expect a reply anymore -- companies just don't bother much anymore. If I have an e-mail address, I usually follow up. Sometimes I will hear that they have filled it; other times nothing. But the follow up would at least put me in front of the employer more so than others who have not done so.

I think it's critical that we don't get down on ourselves as low self esteem comes through when you're looking for a job. The excitement isn't there. And don't you often get what you think you will get?

Looking for a job today is way different than it was 20 years ago. You could actualy walk in MOST PLACES and fill out an application. Those days are gone for LARGE COMPANIES but I must say, small companies will talk to you! (they talk to me usually) And there are a lot of small companies out there!

If you are interested, here's a link to effective JOB SEARCH strategies from a website that is a good reminder that if you're ONLY looking on-line, you are up against a ton of other people. Check it out:
www.anexpertresume.com/pdf/Most_Effective_Techniques.pdf

I have to remind myself every day, "I have great job skills. I WILL get the right job soon!" :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Denver, Colorado

83 months ago

Definition of "overqualified" -- they think you want more money than they are willing to pay! Seriously! That's what it is.

I've also seen positions posted as ENTRY LEVEL and they clearly are not. They want Masters level skills but don't want to pay anything above $24,000 yr. They're hoping they'll snag a recent graduate who's sharp and who will work for that. They probably will, but they'll move on once they're experienced and get a better offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

I am extremely relieved to read all of these posts discussing this issue in such a short amount of time. I guess an issue becomes a problem once it is clear how it affects population and the ultimate result. Case in point smoking was accepted by many and frowned on by some until monetary and human loss was quantified. Then it became a problem and awareness is growing. I wonder how long and at what cost this issue will take to develop itself into a solidifed and known "problem." Perhaps someone could design and host a candidate board. Candidatefiller.com - we can all then post ridiculously qualified candidates who can add immediate value to the workplace enviornment and let employers apply for them. Then we won't respond to 99% of them and we can fluctuate salary requirements. Degreed Professional wants 14K per year for lifetime career. Willing to become indentured servant and decline all benefits. Has 19 years experience in sales and revenue generation in excess of 500.0mm. Employers please fax your qualifications to (LOGIN TO VIEW) NO PHONE CALLS! EOExploiter

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Recruiter in Chicago, Illinois

83 months ago

Hi all, I would like to just take a second to address this topic. I am a recruiter for a very large placement firm and I'm not going to lie I am guilty of this same thing. The main issue here usually boils down to time. I, just like you have only 24 hours in a day usually 8-9 of which is at work. When I have a job posting out there, depending on the position I usually get between 60-100 resumes a week for each position and I usually have 4-5 going at once. Sometimes I can't even get through all the resumes, let alone responding to them. To be able to respond to everyone would take almost my entire day and I would never actually be able to find that right person which in the end may be you. Unfortunately even at a company my size we don't have any way of clicking a button to automatically send out an email saying 'Thank you, but you're just not a fit', because of the way we interface with job boards. So please take this into account, that we're not all horrible people that want to screw you over. One thing I will say though, is even though alot of times I put No phone calls, if someone calls me I take the time to talk to them and go over their resume with them on the phone..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (66) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

It's good to see both sides of the story with the Recruiter posting. Now for one minute Recruiter put yourself in our shoes. You know you have the credentials to full the position. You arrive at the company, hair cut, shoes polished,nicely dressed with resume in hand. You have butterflies in your stomach and your head is splitting from nerves. You sit at the desk facing eiher gender. They start their conversation ok now tell me about yourself. We are thinking "you have the resume in front of you stupid what do you think I'm going to say?" - You smile politley and begin stating what you have accomplished, where and how you got started etc. Now 5 minutes have passed, the "face" is still starring at you waiting for more. You become silent, wondering what else is there? Now your face become frowned, eyebrows together wondering what else do they want? Finally, the interviewer open their mouth. I see by your resume that you worked at Such & Such for only 1 year why did you leave? I left because of the pay scale and a better position? So, you feel our company can offer you more? Yes, based on my qualifications and past experience in this field I do. Would you mind a background check. No not at all I would welcome one. I have had background checks before so I know I will come through with flying colors. Yes, I can see that but you know I have to follow procedures. Do you mind taking a drug test now? Again, no problem. Ok when can you start? I can start next Monday. That is great. We will call you, lets say, Thursday or Friday? Yes that would be fine, I look forward to your call. Thank you blah blah. You sit by the phone not daring to go out of the house. Thursday comes and goes, you say to yourself ok, maybe they got busy. I know I have the job, they almost said so. Friday comes, you anxiously sit by the phone, you know you will start Monday at 8AM sharpe. 3pm rolls around, still no phone call you chaulk it off to oh it's Friday, they must be wrapping up paperwork. 4:15PM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (73) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

rolls around, again, they must be wrapping up for the weekend. 5pm comes and goes, 5:30pm,you know they work until 6pm. 6:30 comes and there you sit wondering why didn't anyone call me? What did I do wrong??? You know you did nothing wrong, the interviewer gave no indication that you weren't suited for the position. Drug test, background screening, it all fit? So now tell me Recruiter does this sound anything close to what you have gone through or put others through? Granted you take applicaitons + resumes but have you ever considered you need to slow down and really read those resumes? Have you taken into account there is a real live person attached to that paperwork? Perhaps, you need someone to weed out the qualifed people from those who are not. Again, remember we are all qualified in one way or another. We, the interviewee's realize you are busy but please take a second and treat us like humans. This is nothing personal since I do not know you at all. Have a nice day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (83) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

I have to agree with the above. I recently had an interview w/a very large company in my area. I did all my "homework", researched the company, scoped out the company campus to be sure I would know exactly where I was going, etc. I arrived 10 minutes early, and when I tried to enter through the door of the personnel office, it was locked. A sign read that anyone entering must have an employee card to open the door. I rang the intercom button, and someone came to the door- I informed them who I was there to see, gave him my name, and he said, "Just a minute", and shut the door, leaving me outside. Five minutes passed, and an employee came up to enter the building, asked me who I was there to see, etc..same scenario..he entered, and never came back. After 10 MORE minutes, I was getting disgusted and was ready to leave, when the doors opened and a man told me to sit in the lobby. And about 5 minutes later, two men greeted me, and introduced themselves. I introduced myself, and told them who I was there to see, and one of them informed me that they "couldn't find" the woman who was supposed to interview me, so I would be seeing both of them. Needless to say, I already had the red flag going on...very unprofessional! I won't go on as to the details of the interview, but just wanted to vent about my initial impression of this company. If their treatment of prospective employees is any indication, makes one wonder about their customer service skills, which they say they pride themselves on!
BTW, thanks all for listening...it's good to be able to get this stuff off my chest. Sometimes I think the folks that I talk to who have never been in this position think I'm just complaining about nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

I don't think you're complaining. I think all of us are exposing the "dateline" ready material that these employers and recruiters put people through. Pretty soon some jack-donkey will come up with a fair and just scoring system to rate candidates with a range from 300 to 800 so noone has to review each file anymore. All the recruiters and responsible persons blame their lack of time and shortage of staffing YET if we had that attitude about why we left a job it would be used against. Once again: Double Standard. How about for once as mentioned several times you start reading and actually digesting the candidate profile before you quickly decline it. At the very least your ethical responsibility to society based on your skills should be to properly process a thought. Let's review what happpens when folks don't process information in real time and digest the environment they are creating - housing crisis, credit woes, global warming, yada yada yada. I personally think you're excuse is subjective and that means you're still not thinking from the other side of the desk. I'm not saying blaze new trails but maybe, just maybe, looking at your map before you choose which path to follow wouldn't be such a bad idea. Oh, nevermind, I forgot, everyone has a GPS now and it's all automated with the best route.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

That's exactly what I found myself saying out loud when I finished the interview! (in the privacy of my vehicle, of course!)
And just to touch on the subject of prospective employee interviewing the company - the interviewer who conducted most of the interview seemed uncomfortable when it was my turn to ask questions about the company, typical work day, etc...he struggled through that part of the interview, and actually looked a little relieved when I left!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

I just checked out Indeed to see if a position I sent my resume and application to was still available. Yep, it was reposted 3 hours ago!! So, no response from the company I applied to!! Goes to show you, they really don't care!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

I just wanted everyone to know that I am going to think positive about all of these posts that everyone has made that something good will come out of it. Perhaps someone somewhere tomorrow will get a phone call telling them they're needed on Monday to come in and interview for the position of their dreams!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mrs. Advice in Bellevue, Washington

83 months ago

It’s called the BLACK HOLE! This is what we recruiters call the massive amounts of resumes and candidates that swarm our database. Also many times a job is posted because a req has been opened (for budgeting purposes) however the department doesn't really need to fill the position. They're just keeping it open so that they don't lose it.

As far as rude goes...can't help you there. I can say that if I responded to every person that sent me a resume I wouldn't have time to do much of anything. I'd suggest in person meetings as things go faster...I know that you're presentable to hiring managers and you know who to stalk.

Also for large corporations the only real way in (besides wasting away in the black hole) is through a referral! Find someone that works there most of the time they'll receive a referral bonus and you'll get noticed faster!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (48) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Mrs. Advice: "I can say that if I responded to every person that sent me a resume I wouldn't have time to do much of anything" Maybe you have a problem with time management? Why don't you hire me? I can filter those resumes that you can't find the time to do. Will be one heck of a commute but I'm after all "Unemployed". I'll pass the background check,drug test I can do Monday so I can start, let's say Wednesday? Get back to me ok?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Theslave in Manchester, United Kingdom

83 months ago

Unemployed Property Manager in West Palm Beach, Florida said: Mrs. Advice: "I can say that if I responded to every person that sent me a resume I wouldn't have time to do much of anything" Maybe you have a problem with time management? Why don't you hire me? I can filter those resumes that you can't find the time to do. Will be one heck of a commute but I'm after all "Unemployed". I'll pass the background check,drug test I can do Monday so I can start, let's say Wednesday? Get back to me ok?

The problem is not so much time management but the fact that most recruiters are unable to in the first instance specify the available job correctly and in the second instance differntiate between the good CV's and those filled with complete and utter tosh. Hence it becomes a bit of a lucky draw and why you shouldn't trust people with the word 'agent' in their job title.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Theslave in Manchester, United Kingdom: "The problem is not so much time management but the fact that most recruiters are unable to in the first instance specify the available job correctly and in the second instance differntiate between the good CV's and those filled with complete and utter tosh...."

....because they don't understand the job, how to do the job, how the job relates to the company and the best people for the job. In short, they know nothing about the job and lack the perception to evaluate candidates accurately for the job.

I think you just said the same thing as me....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Just expanded on it a bit.

I applied for a contract role recently. I had 8 years experience in my cv that related to the role. The agent read my cv and then emailed me the job spec asking me to cut and paste elements of it into my cv as he felt it needed 'enhancing'. Now if that doesn't tell you how useless some these people are nothing will.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Well Well Well. Human Resources has struck again. This time at 7:03am EST. I inquired last night via email with the HR contact who is soooo busy that she could not respond to my email. In fact, when I first inquired with the company it took her almost 2 weeks to respond. She shut me up by asking for me to forward my credentials - which I subsequently did. Over a week later GUESS!?!?! That's right sheep-dips NOTHING! She was too busy flossing her nails with a paperclip to respond. NOT! Here what it boils down to. If she was soooo busy she would not have responded for quite some time in consistency with the others - instead this time to shut me up she replied in less than 12 hours. Here's the response:

Hello XXXXXXX,

Thank you for checking in with us. We have received and reviewed your resume and at this time we have no openings that match your experience and qualifications. I wish you well in your career search.

Best regards,

To her I reply - Young lady you are one of the core reasons people won't like you for long - KARMA isn't your new shiny volkswagen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Mrs. Advice, I live in Florida would be one commute don't ya think? Thanks anyway. But I was trying to make a point with HR people, agencies etc. They all do the same thing, ok will let you know and nothing whatsoever!! It's the weekend and I am going to to watch TV lol..Can't say party because I don't drink lol... I'm a property manger new licensed and can not get a job because I do not have enough experience as a property manager. I was an assistant property manager but that does not count according to the ads and phone calls I've made. My background is in property managerment/development and also healthcare. I can manage someone's property and care for the person who owns it too lol.... Have a great weekend everyone!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Denver, Colorado

83 months ago

thought I'd share a funny objective I happened to see on a resume the other day: It said:

"A position that would allow me to use my skills in writing and photography that doesn't interfere in my personal life."

Sounds very flakey doesn't it?

Some people don't get that you have to address the employer's NEEDS first; not your own!

Seriously, Mrs. Advice, I am looking for a job and have actually had a few calls but every single one -- the commute has been way too far -- like 30 or 40 miles one way. Really doesn't work when you have kids. :) I want to work for a PR or advertising firm. I have a real estate license but my background is actually marketing and PR. What is your e-mail address Mrs. Advice in Bellevue? Do you work for yourself as an independent placement counselor?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Well as it turns out my experience writing all of these cover letters should qualify me for an honorary literary degree. I don't suppose that an extra degree would get me hired? I'm going to come up with something witty to say just not tonight. Perhaps tomorrow morning after a large cup of coffee I'll post some even more ironic goodies about the wonderful trip it's been.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Wow, sounds like something is going on here huh? Anyway,as I posted on another board- I'm qualified in two fields, I'm 63,can't get a job period! Once I walk into that door it's just going through the motions with HR or whomever is doing the interviewing. Usually the interviewer is a tiny bopper chewing gum and twirling her long blond hair (sorry most are like that). One even said to me Oh my mother has a blouse like that!! I do not dress like a grandma at all but I didn't have my boobies sticking out in her face either so I guess I dressed like her mom.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Displaced, I find that more and more companies are hiring younger and younger employees. It's not that I am getting older and older lol.. but it seems to be a trend lately. One interviewer sat directly in front me, not desk between us. She was about 21 yrs.old, dark hair (this time), short black skirt w/matching jacket. I made eye contract during 99% of the time. Because since she was facing me without a desk between us, I got more than an eyefull of undies!! What do these kids think? I can't figure it out but it sure wasn't ladylike and was a comment on the company was hiring pretty young things with skirts up around their necks. Think they will learn? I don't think so. Either it's boobies in your eyes or pick a color of undies that are showing!! What happend to business ethics, business sense or just enforcing a dress code?Go figure!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Priya in Madras lame I you suggest are write then english come back repost

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dean suraci in Cornwall On Hudson, New York

83 months ago

MRS. ADVICE I WOULD LIKE TO CHIT-CHAT. REPLY BACK AT GIGLIOT8@AOL.COM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Ms. Advice I would like a job can you help me! : )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Hi Displaced, you are always hitting the nail on the head!! I went to the website that Ms.Advice posted. It's a free resume writing service. Maybe I'm missing something but I saw NO place to apply for a position. Ms. Advice??? Point me in the right direction ok? Seems that the website is for revamping an existing resume and not for applying to a position. Am I wrong?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Another scam to get you to use her services. I don't get it. I think what it might be,just a thought, once she gets your resume,tells you whats wrong (the free part) then it will cost you $XX.XX amount of dollars to give you the information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Thanks for clearing that up Mrs. Advice. I heard about getting paid for people using websites but how do you do that? I would be interested in that also. It's not that I do not like getting something free but the old saying goes, if it's too good to be true, it is, nothing in life is free! I will double check your website again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Dear me I just posted to the wrong forum lo. (too embarassed to give a lol...) How do you get google to pay you or your advertizers?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mrs Advice in Bellevue, Washington

83 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Continued from above....

No intelligent, astute person can be conned into believing the opening could have been filled so quickly, nor can such person be conned into believing the ad was not a lure intended to build inventory or for another nefarious purpose. If this position had truly existed, why couldn't the recruiter call my wife and tell her the truth, and let her decide if she still wanted to attend the interview.

I agree with you this was BOGUS! The recruiter must have been desperate for a commission and decided that lying was the best way to find candidates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said:
You are evading my question, Mrs. Advice. You have just explained the process that follows after recruiters get orders - which presumes the jobs exist. You were asked to explain why recruiters post false ads, e.g, ads for jobs that DO NOT EXIST.
Continued next post....

These people are preying off of the unemployed. You see if you're desperate enough to take any position that they offer you then they get paid! They don't care about your wife or even if that job suits her. They're interested in making a quick buck. These people are highly unethical and disgusting. They give recruiters a bad name. You see your wife is a sale to them not a human in search of a career. They see her as a product and nothing more. They may also be collecting information and selling it to marketing firms. As when you apply for a job you fill out EVERYTHING! I despise these people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

J in Texas: So your resume is on Mrs. Advise website? So are you getting a job from it or did you already get a job? Are you applying for a job with the new resume? Just wondering.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Thank you for finally answering my question about fake job ads, Mrs. Advice. Based on my experiences and my wife's experiences, I submit that recruiters, generally, are unethical, liars and conmen.

Well over a year ago, I answered a recruiter's ad for a paralegal. I thought this recruiter would be reputable because it was associated with the city bar association. I don't think my interview with the headhunter went well, but, nevertheless, she said she would forward my resume to her client. She said she would call me that afternoon or the next afternoon at the latest. She never called.

A month later, the headhunter advertised again in the paper for the same position. She advertised the position a third time in the paper three months later. Here again, she reneged on her promise to call me.

I have now related four separate recruiter/headhunter experiences on this thread. I've had others and so has my wife. No one will ever convince me that these characters are stand-up individuals.

Wow...you've had some pretty bad experiences. If I were you I'd feel the same way. I'm glad I didn't move to Denver!

I have never experienced such things in my career....maybe that's because I recruited for Microsoft, T-Mobile, Expedia, and Boeing.

I would suggest that you find jobs through networking (as in know someone in the company and have them refer you).

Also would you be so kind as to share what venue these ads (or cons) where in? Did you find them on job sites? Newspapers? Online?

I wish you the best of luck in the future and hope that you no longer run into such con artists.

Sincerely,
Mrs. Advice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

WOW I have missed a lot. I have been selling everything I own on EBAY so I can continue my mass exodus of savings and in between answering questions and drinking pepto here I IS! I am going to read all of this and get back with everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

I don't see a reply from J in Texas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Headhunter in Orlando, Florida

83 months ago

I am sorry, but some posts here reek of negativity. Every job I post is real, guess how many candidates that apply are TRULY qualified? Maybe 2%..maybe.

To the person that said "everyone is qualified to a degree", that is nonsense. The thing people do not understand is that clients are looking for a specific candidate. Most likely that candidate is already employed and may not even be looking for work.

I can put down in the job posting that you MUST have industry experience, and people still apply all day long that have none. Then they call me and ask me if I looked at their resume. I ask if they have the experience...no. So why would a client pay us for that person? It makes no sense.

The issue is this. Many people think they have experience when they do not. Plain and simple. If you are going to approach a headhunter about a position, make 100% sure you meet every single qualification or else you are simply wasting your time.

And CareerBuilder is not how you get a job. You have to pinpoint the exact company you want to work with and approach them directly. Call, walk in, do what you need to do.

People are whining about CareerBuilder and recruiters when the real issue is their lack of creativity and drive to get what they want.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (44) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Displaced, I use Careerbuilder and found 95% of the positions are with recruitment companies. Hotjobs is a little less with 90%. But, I found that most companies are too lazy to do their own search. I refuse to apply to any "headhunter companies". I only applied to a those that have real name other than Joe & Mary's Recruitment Company. and I can research them before I submitted anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Why do you headhunters keep lying to candidates? Why do you assure them you will call them by a time certain and you don't? Why do you try to shove candidates into jobs for which they are not qualified? I know the answer to that one - so you can collect your commission. Why are you headhunters rude and pushy to candidates?

Continued next post....

1. I do not ever lie to candidates. Which is why I came on here to tell you exactly my thought process.

2. I call everyone on time because I schedule it into my daily database calendar.

3. I do not try to shove candidates into jobs that they are not qualified for. See, that proves my point. Some candidates can not read or comprehend simple things. If you read my post properly, you would see the gist of it was stressing that I do not work with unqualified candidates. I am amazed you could not figure that out from my post.

4. I am not rude or pushy to candidates. Unless you have worked with every headhunter in America, how do you know how we all are? I do get annoyed when people clearly do not read, and simply react like you just did. This is most likely why you have been having bad luck in the job hunt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

dean suraci in Cornwall On Hudson, New York

83 months ago

To Headhunter in Florida,

The reason a candidate applies to a job he is not completely qualified for is this. 1) The job seeker sees that it is an exceptional position with great pay and benefits and she or he has 7 out of the 10 qualifications needed. So, therefore, he applies. Experts will tell you if you have 75 percent of the qualifications then go ahead and apply. Like the lottery, you can't win it unless your in it. Most jobs out there you can train an individual to do if the candidate has the potential and strong personal traits. That is the truth!!! For instance, HEADHUNTER!!! - that ain't rocket science, not even close. 2) After a job seeker is out of work for a number of months he starts getting alittle frustrated so he starts applying to some of these jobs he might not otherwise be really qualified to perform. It's called hope. Hope that the telephone will ring and the employer will ask the potential candidate to come on in. Hope is a good thing. Maybe it's delusional thinking I don't know. Personnally, as a job seeker I don't recommend waiting by the phone, you have to be pro-active. and 3) It's true, some (not alot, but some) job seekers are numb numbs and clueless so they send their resume to everything out there.

I would like to go on and on, but I don't have the time to waste since I am searching for a quality job. To job seekers across the nation, Headhunters ( aka scumbags - there real name) don't care about the job candidate, not one bit, they represent the company period end of sentence. It's about making MONEY!!!

I truly wish Headhunters could feel what it's like to be unemployed for a long time. Then, they wouldn't be such scumbags.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Dean,

I'll let the scum comment pass because I understand you can't get a job and are upset. But maybe the reason you can't get a job is because you can not grasp basic concepts like :a client pays a headhunter for QUALIFIED candidates. If they want potential, they hire from within. Why would a client pay me a % for someone not qualified?? Unemployed, unqualified people are easy to find. Think about it.

Tell me why a client would pay for an unemployed person with no relevant experience. They don't want to train, they want to get someone who can hit the ground running. That is what a headhunter finds and presents to a client if they want to have a good reputation in their industry. It's pretty simple. Your anger is misguided because you do not understand the dynamics of the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (33) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.