Employers want you to call and don't answer

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Sal in Salt Lake City, Utah

34 months ago

Lately a few employers state that they are looking for someone in my field and provide me with their name, company, and phone number to call them. Often the emails are sent out after business hours sometimes like 10pm. I call them the next morning and it always goes into the voice mail. I don't like leaving a message because they don't rally know me at this point. After I try to call a few different times during the day, I email them my complete resume. They never call back or email. It seems like they could be going through the Craigslist postings and just contacting many and when they see the complete resume, they see something that they may not like. When they see the Craigslist postings they do not know industry experience, just general skills, no name or city. Is this just a free way to get resumes? These are not agencies, but small companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

34 months ago

Sounds like maybe you're receiving emails from these sources if I have it correct. Don't ever respond to these emails. They are almost always scams or mining for information like emails, phone numbers, etc.

Kim in Chicago, Illinois

34 months ago

I have gone on a few interviews thru Craigslist, but none of them resulted on an offer. One even send a rejection letter a week later after the interview via email. The ones who tell me that they want me to cash check for them or run personal errands and don't tell me where they are located and also the ones you just ask if I am still looking for a job within an hour after the posting goes live are full of sh--.

talentgenie in Compton, California

34 months ago

Hi Sal,
I'm a Corporate Recruiter and have been for 15 years. Reputable companies will usually post on a major job board. I would say you should be aware of scams on Craigslist. jobsearch.about.com/u/ua/jobsearchscams/jobscams.htm Most small companies will post jobs on CL because it is free. Companies pay hundreds or thousands to post on the big boards.

My favorite job search sites are Indeed, SimplyHired, and LinkedIn Jobs. If you're looking for hourly work, use SnagAJob.

I'm sorry you're having such a challenge finding work, but you're right, late night emails and voice mails don't add up. Steer clear of Craigslist for a while, make sure your resum is in good shape, and use one of the sites above to find work. You should also follow your favorite companies on FaceBook or Twitter, and get to know more about them.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ZoeySnap in Orange County, California

34 months ago

Craigslist can be a useful tool when job hunting. You just need to be careful because yes some of them are scams. My last job I got through Craigslist though so it worked for me. And it was a large reputable company. The one before that was through Monster. I check about 5 or 6 of them every day, but it seems for me at least, those two job boards have been most useful for me in the past.

Bluetea in Texas

34 months ago

ZoeySnap in Orange County, California said: Craigslist can be a useful tool when job hunting. You just need to be careful because yes some of them are scams. My last job I got through Craigslist though so it worked for me. And it was a large reputable company. The one before that was through Monster. I check about 5 or 6 of them every day, but it seems for me at least, those two job boards have been most useful for me in the past.

It depends on your experience. One job seminar that I went to, the guy said, only about 50% of your time should be spent on Internet boards - the competition is too intense. 25% of your time should be directed at small companies - they don't always have the budgets to advertise on the Internet but they are the ones doing the hiring.

The other 25% should be networking because a lot of jobs are never advertised. At my last employer, all jobs remained "in-house" for 30 days. Usually someone knew someone who needed a job. Didn't cost the company a dime.

My sister works for the school district and they almost never advertise. They get all the candidates they need just by posting on their employment link.

Craigslist is too scammy for me but that is just me.

Bluetea in Texas

34 months ago

Kim in Chicago, Illinois said: I have gone on a few interviews thru Craigslist, but none of them resulted on an offer. One even send a rejection letter a week later after the interview via email. The ones who tell me that they want me to cash check for them or run personal errands and don't tell me where they are located and also the ones you just ask if I am still looking for a job within an hour after the posting goes live are full of sh--.

Some people think Craigslist is great but its too scammy for me. I don't bother with them anymore. I have been on too many dead-ends with them.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.