Entry level jobs that require experience?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Jeff in Arlington, Virginia

55 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: What about Chrysler, Countrywide, Delta Airlines, Washington Mutual, Lehman Brothers, Bear Stearns, etc?

Didn't they invent CDO's? And didn't the CDO's make the executives rich?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Average in Medford, Massachusetts

55 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: Well I am in my 30s and changing careers to electrician and pursuing the journeyman license. You need 4000 hours of work experience plus 600 hours of instruction to even sit for the exam.
How are you pursuing it? I had considered this myself, about four years ago. Then, I was told I needed a CDL to even be considered for a union apprenticeship.
It's harder to get into a trade than many colleges. The barriers to entry to the trades are most likely a combination of efforts by unions to limit competition, regulations to insure that trained individuals are actually competent, and cut-backs in funding for vocational training by government. Government spending on vocational education is controlled by taxpayers, who overwhelmingly think a college graduate has more value to society than a carpenter.

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: Most kids don't want to get their hands dirty.
One thing the educational-industrial complex is really good at, is shaping attitudes. A lot of middle class kids have been led to believe by their teachers and parents that a cushy job is a slam dunk away and that they have a reasonable shot at becoming wealthy if they get those college credentials. To them, a job that requires getting their hands dirty may seem like a detour from their destinies.

Reply - Report abuse

John in Millersville, Maryland

55 months ago

Average in Medford, Massachusetts said: Government spending on vocational education is controlled by taxpayers, who overwhelmingly think a college graduate has more value to society than a carpenter.

Quite true. I see that evidenced on my street. There are people who are so mechanically inept, I am truly amazed they can figure out how to start their car. Yet, if anything at all breaks, they are completely clueless as to what to do.

Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

55 months ago

Average in Medford, Massachusetts said: How are you pursuing it? I had considered this myself, about four years ago. Then, I was told I needed a CDL to even be considered for a union apprenticeship.
It's harder to get into a trade than many colleges. The barriers to entry to the trades are most likely a combination of efforts by unions to limit competition, regulations to insure that trained individuals are actually competent, and cut-backs in funding for vocational training by government. Government spending on vocational education is controlled by taxpayers, who overwhelmingly think a college graduate has more value to society than a carpenter.

I think you are just talking about getting into one of the trade unions. I am open to anything to gain the required hours for the experience.
I am running into the problem of lack of experience. Apprentice or helper positions which are considered entry level and start off around $10 an hour require at least two years of experience as stated in the job post

Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

55 months ago

The trade unions are tough to get into. At least in NY.

Reply - Report abuse

blah in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

anonymous in Oakland, California said: Well, what they have listed as requirements doesn't exactly mean you have to have it. Just apply anyway. My current (upcoming) job, required two years of full cycle AP and I had 0 years. Applied anyway and got it.

What year did you apply for it?

Reply - Report abuse

blah in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

Not entirely too much why this one would require at least five years experience.

www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?APath=2.21.0.0.0&job_did=JHR4F36PC1M1CQ4RPR6&showNewJDP=yes&IPath=QHKTVGM0J

Why would someone who has been in the field for at least five years want to that position just to make just $13.00?? That is sure moving backwards. I wish recruiters would be more realistic about who would take on this role.

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.