Feeling lost in finding a career after quitting teaching

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (40)

Bluetea in Texas

26 months ago

kk in Valdosta, Georgia said: I'm 32 and have had many stable jobs in education. I do not wish to go back to teaching.then.. nutrition science but no financial supports to go to school. At my age, my friends and former colleagues are moving up in their steady professions. Serving tables?

Wasn't for me either. I got into the IT field when it was hot but I wouldn't recommend that field now. Its mostly done offshore now.

Check out www.bls.gov/oco for where the Help Wanted sign are. Be careful of jobs that are easily automated or off-shored. Also if you decide to be a circus clown, take a few to lunch before you actually commit or invest any money in addiitonal education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Justwanttohelp in Lewisville, Texas

26 months ago

kk in Valdosta, Georgia said: I'm 32 and have had many stable jobs in education. Throughout college and graduate school, I was lucky to be able to find jobs as camp counselors and interns for publishing firms. Now after several years of full-time high school teaching in New York, I first got a job at a liberal arts college in NJ. Then the work environment was not what I had expected and was unbearable. So I thought I could find another job easy... but getting a job after quitting was not so easy. I do not wish to go back to teaching. My initial thoughts were returning to get a law degree. then.. nutrition science but no financial supports to go to school. At my age, my friends and former colleagues are moving up in their steady professions. It's truly embarrassing to ask friends for referrals and challenging to share my frustrations to land a decent corporate job. When is next for me? Serving tables?

Hi have you tried tutoring. You can make a very decent income doing it. I work as a part time bookkeeper and I tutor on the side. I teach software like Microsoft Office, Quickbooks and other stuff. Google tutoring jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bubblegumaddict in Seattle, Washington

26 months ago

I totally understand what you are going through. I am 32 also and have been working in advertising/public relations since I graduated college. I absolutely hate working in this field and have hated it for awhile. I applied to graduate school for counseling psychology a couple of years ago, but after a lot of thinking, realized that kind of work is just not for me. I am currently doing freelance work while I figure out what I want to do next. I, too, am really embarassed that at the age of 32, I do not have a steady career and do not know what I want to do next. Most of my friends are flourishing in both their professional and personal lives and well...I'm not. I have a couple of interests and have been trying to get entry-level/temporary opportunities in those areas, but not having much luck. I'm going to keep plugging away, but I'm scared and frustrated.

I hope that you figure things out...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

26 months ago

Seems like 32 is the non-magic number. I am also 32. I've been unemployed/underemployed for 2.5 years, now. I've applied to literally 1000 openings or more during this time. I'd say I've probably done about 10 phone interviews, and 5 "in-person" interviews. The only jobs I've been able to get, were part-time sales at Sears during the holidays (they hire anybody with a pulse, and some without), and the part-time merchandising gig I have now (likewise, they don't say "no" to a lot of applicants).

If I think too long about how many places I've applied to vs. how many of them have rejected me, it's panic-inducing. Especially since in almost every case, I'm qualified for the job that I apply to. I don't apply to things and then stretch the truth to fit what they need. Everything I've applied for, I could do well.

So yeah...just saying you are not alone. I feel so "behind" everyone else my age, that some days I just don't want to leave the house. I should have kids running around by now, and I'm not even in a serious relationship because I can't afford to date. =/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Loch Sheldrake, New York

26 months ago

Nick,

How the candy fare in the heat today?

Hey kk,

It's brutal for anyone trying to get a decent job nowadays. Brutal, and I don't think it will change for a long, long time.

Let me tell you about your friends.......behind close doors everything is not rosy with their life. Believe me.

Nick, forget the meth.....let's invent a candy bar that doesn't melt. Will be rich overnight.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Not bad! I gave away a lot of it to my first store, before it got hot. 7 stores, 3 of them were "delists" (meaning they weren't worth my or my company's time to be at). 1 was located in the Charlestown Naval Yard, and was impossible to get to. A new misadventure every day. It's a good thing I'm a psychological self-masochist (or whatever the term is for enjoying inflicting mental anguish on oneself).

Nestle (who I work with) also makes Wonka brand. If Willy hasn't figured out a way to make non-melting chocolate, what hope do WE have?? ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

26 months ago

If I remember the supposed story correctly, m&ms were invented as a "less-melting" (remember the "won't melt in your hand" tag line?) for the American troops when over seas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said:

Check out www.bls.gov/oco for where the Help Wanted sign are.

I checked out the occupational outlook handbook a few years ago and found they had extremely misleading information. The underlying data they were using at that time anyway was years out of date, leading to totally wrong projections....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

26 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: I checked out the occupational outlook handbook a few years ago and found they had extremely misleading information. The underlying data they were using at that time anyway was years out of date, leading to totally wrong projections....

That criticism has been lodged against it. Still, anybody who chooses a major or trade without at consulting it, is making a mistake.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Certainly, it has the most comprehensive list of jobs I am aware of which is a good place to start.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

26 months ago

Talking to people already in the field is always the best thing.

For example right now I'm looking to talk to some meth suppliers to see if it's a field right for me. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Here we go again trying to recruit minions are we? :))

Too bad that isn't in the occupational outlook book, eh?

26 months ago

There were actually some dummies in the midwest who started adding blue food coloring to their meth. All it did was get the real DEA on their tail that much sooner. In "reality-land," Walt would have been caught or killed probably within a month or less. But that wouldn't make for good TV, now would it? ;)

Meh, that BLS site. I don't care about figures and stats...if no one hires me they're ALL useless to me.

26 months ago

Well, there is only so much "reality" us long term un/under employed can take before there would be a very loud and audible snap in (at least my)the brain and a rubber room would look like a picnic.....

I have a tee shirt (among many) which says something to the effect "the bureau of alcohol, tobacco and firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency".....

26 months ago

Walts the man!

Nick,

I was thinking of you tonight..not in the gay way...but I was in a convenience store...and I saw the purple Wllly Wonka display. Think it had 3 different candies. Gummies, Taffy, something else.

Beth in Plano, Texas

26 months ago

Nick,

How many times do I need to tell you that you need to find an older sugar momma that can support you. No need to worry about working and making money.

26 months ago

Wow! Someone must have sold them a shipper!

I haven't sold a damn thing in 2 months, now. It's a wonder that my supervisor hasn't fired me for it. The sad fact is, it's not for lack of trying. I show managers what's on sale. It's just the same crap that they already have too much of, and (at least around here) convenience store owners are an ornery lot who don't want to put too much thought into what their shelves look like. Honestly, if they didn't have lotto and cigarettes, many of them would be shuttered.

Who buys ketchup for 400% markup at a convenience store, when there's bound to be a supermarket/Target/Walmart just as close to their house? The age of the convenience store is over, I think. There's just too much big box competition.

26 months ago

It was a corporate convenience store called Stewarts.

You know in NY that's all they care about too - lotto and cigs.

That Wonka stuff isn't a big seller anyway.

I got to get a life or better job. I'm beginning to live on this computer!

26 months ago

Today is (mid 90s) and tomorrow will be (closer to 100) entirely way too hot to have a life other than hide in a/c or perhaps even the refrigerator. Just stepping outside for a smoke is enough to need a shower at those temps.... so the computer and tv it is until outside becomes manageable again (which will likely be October)

26 months ago

I'm TRYING to get a better job! To the point of obsession! Because I too spend too much time on the computer.

Really without one, I can't afford "a life." I make about $1200 a month, and more than half of that goes right to rent and related utilities. The rest goes to basic needs and enough cheap wine to make me periodically forget how effed I am until some potential employer shows mercy.

26 months ago

Ah, can't sell anything in a corporate store, it's not allowed. So STILL nobody sold anything! =D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

I applied for a position which appeared on craigslist this morning. They need an office person and field experience a plus. I up-played my office experience, didn't even mention my field experience (though I am quite good at the field part). Why? Because I just can not handle the Maryland summers outside! I spent enough years roasting my rear end off, I just can not do it any more. Even in the office positions, I seem to get sent into the field ONLY when it is over 90 or below 30 (there really aren't many days in the comfort zone [50-80] in this state!)

Bluetea in Texas

26 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: Who buys ketchup for 400% markup at a convenience store, when there's bound to be a supermarket/Target/Walmart just as close to their house? The age of the convenience store is over, I think. There's just too much big box competition.

My well-to-do sister does. I think she has been to Wal-Mart once! Too many low-lifes and communication majors there for her taste. LOL!

mary in Tampa, Florida

26 months ago

KK in Valdosta:
Try looking for a corporate organization that deals with children, check the ones you might like (Walt Disney, Shriners Hospital, regular hospitals). See what career jobs are available.

26 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: I applied for a position which appeared on craigslist this morning. They need an office person and field experience a plus. I up-played my office experience, didn't even mention my field experience (though I am quite good at the field part). Why? Because I just can not handle the Maryland summers outside! I spent enough years roasting my rear end off, I just can not do it any more. Even in the office positions, I seem to get sent into the field ONLY when it is over 90 or below 30 (there really aren't many days in the comfort zone [50-80] in this state!)

I like Craigslist. You get a lot of legit smaller companies posting. Of course you see a number of commission only sales jobs and some scammers but on the whole I get responses back. The pay is usually lower though.

26 months ago

The job I saw today was actually right in the range I am really interested in and can live comfortably on(I was surprise as I typically find the wages lower as well)

26 months ago

And though it doesn't pay as well as being a meth minion, it is also less risky :)

26 months ago

People at the Dept of Labor always say don't use that site nothing but trouble.

But it actually has some nice jobs on it you just have to sift thru the bad ones. Again smaller companies.

I use Monster, CareerBuilder, Craigslist, Indeed, local one called Hudson Valley Help Wanted, Dept of Labor site, & Simply Hired. And I look at the newspaper.

26 months ago

The help wanted part of my local "paper" used to be a whole section of 5 or more pages. Now it is wrapped up with other things, and the help wanted section MIGHT be a page and a half...

I kinda gave up on CareerBuilder, too much garbage there. Indeed, Simply Hired and Craigs List are my main sources at this point

endoftheworld in Plainville, Connecticut

26 months ago

i've never really decided on a "career" though did spend hours in the University career center so much so that i'd come in and the front desk person would nod and say the back room with all the occupational outlook handbooks was available w/o my asking.
I used to spend HOURS dreaming of all kinds of "careers" but it's not like just applying to any job, tho more that way then. the reason i fell into a BBA and office administrative was it was vague/general and according to the BLS in the late 1980's "Office-Secretarial" was expected to GROW at an ABOVE AVERAGE rate!
Well so much for that, now only married or semi-retired or college kids take those kinds of jobs as they are few and far between and don't pay enough to earn a living unless you get into some big corp. where the average admin. salary around here is $40K but unless you are a perfect match good luck with that.
I've given up, just check this site with it's "jobs posted since last visited" which is super convenient tho not sure how "they" KNOW? I can't view monster.com anymore, some issue with enabling current version of javascript tho the tech there said he could not advise. have no idea why this laptop has had javascript problems since I got it but worse of late. Careerbuilder and this other CT County jobs website must've given up on me, I was getting weekly jobs updates, things I'd be qualified for like um nurse and engineer...but about 6 months ago I stopped receiving.
I found out from DSS why there seems to be such massive difficulty with finding jobs: they discontinued the UE extensions so MORE desparate jobseekers.
I was called by them (DSS) for a phone interview, thinking i was in trouble was like oh-uh, no they just wanted to know how i was living, I think they woulda put me on cash assistance tho still no healthinsurance.
Well life's a beach (too hot for hiking) don't know what i'd do otherwise, can't sit home all day.

Emily in Rock Hill, South Carolina

26 months ago

Take the time you now have to spend quality time with your kids and spouse.

I haven't been to the beach in two years and would love to live closer to the water.

endoftheworld in East Hartford, Connecticut

26 months ago

Emily, um AM NOT married/have kids, it's just me. I hate when people who are coupled/in a family ASSUME this of everyone else and find it mind boggling. So yeh, it is much worse for someone like me, jobless and unemployable for almost 4 yrs. since once I run out of my life savings that's it, there is no spouse/SO to provide other income/support.
I'd go NUTS sitting at home all day, there literally is NOTHING to do but stare out the window. Unhappily, our lake this yr. is the worst it's been, every yr. it gets more and more grown in with milfoil, the only reason I live here is because of The Lake and the way things have been going by 4th. of July it's unswimmable due to the weeds, so I just sit at the beach sweating all day, not fun tho I tan like I spent the summer in the Carribean and love the comments I get as people also "assume" I've been travelling to some exotic locales, not that I'm an unemployed bum.

Concerned Teacher in Fairfax, Virginia

13 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Wasn't for me either. I got into the IT field when it was hot but I wouldn't recommend that field now. Its mostly done offshore now.

I agree. I am currently in teaching, but seeking other opportunities and am finding nothing really to match my interests. This summer has been a great opportunity to think about what I want in a career, but unfortunately, there really is not anything for a family-minded INTP like me out there - especially not in this climate!

13 months ago

Emily in Rock Hill, South Carolina said: Take the time you now have to spend quality time with your kids and spouse.

I haven't been to the beach in two years and would love to live closer to the water.

Absolutely!

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

13 months ago

I think the idea of a career is very outdated except for a lucky few. And when you are in one, how to you make a change in your 30s, 40s, or even 50s when your personal interests shift?

I would gladly give up a career for a string of bartending jobs if it offered any financial security.

13 months ago

A buddy of mine is doing the same thing...

J Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York

13 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: I think the idea of a career is very outdated except for a lucky few. And when you are in one, how to you make a change in your 30s, 40s, or even 50s when your personal interests shift?

I would gladly give up a career for a string of bartending jobs if it offered any financial security.

There's been jobs in other fields I wanted and been offered but financially it wouldn't work out.

A horse farm was looking for someone to take care of the horses. But 25k and no benes just doesn't work. Free housing!

And it's virtually impossible to change careers. Employers have tunnel vision. They can't see the value, transferable skills, and maturity of someone professional coming over from another field.

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

13 months ago

J Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York said:

And it's virtually impossible to change careers. Employers have tunnel vision. They can't see the value, transferable skills, and maturity of someone professional coming over from another field.

One employer told me this once (not saying I agree but food for thought). Bringing over a career changer, you do get maturity. But you also get baggage. While the day to day job may be different, workplace behavior has already been established. How one communicates, gets along with others, etc are transferable behaviors no matter the career path.

The same can be said for any experienced hire though. Just more insight into the warped minds making decisions.

Bluetea in Texas

13 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: One employer told me this once (not saying I agree but food for thought). Bringing over a career changer, you do get maturity. But you also get baggage. While the day to day job may be different, workplace behavior has already been established. How one communicates, gets along with others, etc are transferable behaviors no matter the career path.

The same can be said for any experienced hire though. Just more insight into the warped minds making decisions.

Most employers are like Goldilocks. If you have been with one employer too long, you are deemed too rigid and inflexible. If you have a myriad number of skills then you could only have acquired them by being a job hopper.

Calfornian in Hayward, California

13 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Most employers are like Goldilocks. If you have been with one employer too long, you are deemed too rigid and inflexible. If you have a myriad number of skills then you could only have acquired them by being a job hopper.

One of my old bosses used to rip on people for being job hoppers. These are guys who would change every 3 or 4 years to a different company.

I never asked him, because I was pretty certain of the answer and what his response would be, how often he gave people raises.

Whatever you do they'll use it against you.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.