Fighting with no identity

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

B-Ball in Alabama

10 months ago

You know, as a male in American Culture, you're identified by what you do, not who you are. Coming up on 3 years unemployment and with no identity, very isolated, this is becoming extremely difficult. I'm older so I think the chances of getting out of this jam are slim to none. I don't really think the economy will change much, I think this is it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

10 months ago

I know exactly what you mean. After 5 years unemployed, I still occasionally get "what do you do?" Well, the answer is different now than it was 5 years ago.

I sometimes answer something like "I Used to be in .......". I feel it would be totally untrue to say I do something I haven't done for so long.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

10 months ago

B-Ball in Alabama said: Coming up on 3 years unemployment and with no identity, very isolated, this is becoming extremely difficult. I'm older so I think the chances of getting out of this jam are slim to none. I don't really think the economy will change much, I think this is it

I think if Hillary was elected back in November of 2007, the economy would be in much better shape than it is now and people would be working because we had such a great economy under Bill Clinton. I have no doubt we would've had a great economy under Hillary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

10 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: I think if Hillary was elected back in November of 2007, the economy would be in much better shape than it is now and people would be working because we had such a great economy under Bill Clinton. I have no doubt we would've had a great economy under Hillary.

I think she is a possible for 2016.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

10 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: I think if Hillary was elected back in November of 2007, the economy would be in much better shape than it is now and people would be working because we had such a great economy under Bill Clinton. I have no doubt we would've had a great economy under Hillary.

Different theories abound. Some folks would say that Bill inherited a great economy, others would argue that it was him and his cabinet that deserves the credit. But, in the end it doesn't seem to matter who gets elected, the corporations are really the ones running the show.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

B-Ball in Alabama

10 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: I think if Hillary was elected back in November of 2007, the economy would be in much better shape than it is now and people would be working because we had such a great economy under Bill Clinton. I have no doubt we would've had a great economy under Hillary.

Presidents are not quite as powerful as you think and take the dot com bubble out of the Clinton years and it would look remarkably different...that's not to say he wasn't a good President and those weren't' good years but he wasn't the sole propellant behind that economy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

10 months ago

I must've been asleep at the wheel in Nov 2007 and missed that one. jk.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

10 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: But, in the end it doesn't seem to matter who gets elected, the corporations are really the ones running the show.

I absolutely agree with this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Geronimo, Texas

10 months ago

Capitalists pigs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

10 months ago

B-Ball in Alabama said: You know, as a male in American Culture, you're identified by what you do, not who you are. Coming up on 3 years unemployment and with no identity, very isolated, this is becoming extremely difficult. I'm older so I think the chances of getting out of this jam are slim to none. I don't really think the economy will change much, I think this is it

Even as a woman, I feel like I lost my identity too. I can well imagine what it is like for a man. I've seen the carnage.

I well imagine it's how a war hero must feel like when he or she is no longer in uniform and no one walking past them have even a clue what they once accomplished.

I often find myself saying, "when I used to work at....". Of course these days, I am no longer the only one in a group that says that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

10 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I think she is a possible for 2016.

If she runs, she has MY vote.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

10 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: But, in the end it doesn't seem to matter who gets elected, the corporations are really the ones running the show.

Just like SyFy's CONTINUUM, huh?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

10 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: Just like SyFy's CONTINUUM, huh?

Right, real life is so strange, gives great material for screenwriters!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

10 months ago

B-Ball in Alabama said: You know, as a male in American Culture, you're identified by what you do, not who you are. Coming up on 3 years unemployment and with no identity, very isolated, this is becoming extremely difficult. I'm older so I think the chances of getting out of this jam are slim to none. I don't really think the economy will change much, I think this is it

What was your previous career field ?

Do you mind if I ask how old are you ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.