Finding a FIRST Job with no experience. Macy's Interview.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

marisolsalcedo in Stockton, California

59 months ago

I need help. I've been looking for my first job since I was 16. Now two years later and I haven't found one. I've been to interviews to Macy's and Home Depot, but they clearly saw that I wasn't experienced in their field. I decided to reapply at Macy's and have been scheduled for another interview. I think it's an automatic thing at the website. Anyways I'm trying to get more interviews. Some people say that the way you answer the online questionnaire when you apply for a job is what gets you the interview. I don't really know. But I'm trying to finish my missing high school credits to get my diploma so then I could go to college, but I need the money. And I want to save some by the time I'm finished with my credits. I'm just desperate any tips, any advice ANYTHING that you could tell me on how I can get a job at any place that doesn't require much of an experience. Also how could I ace that interview at Macy's. It's in a week..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (116) / No (38) Reply - Report abuse

CopperSun in Detroit, Michigan

59 months ago

Marisol Salcedo in Stockton, California said: I need help. I've been looking for my first job since I was 16. Now two years later and I haven't found one. I've been to interviews to Macy's and Home Depot, but they clearly saw that I wasn't experienced in their field. I decided to reapply at Macy's and have been scheduled for another interview. I think it's an automatic thing at the website. Anyways I'm trying to get more interviews. Some people say that the way you answer the online questionnaire when you apply for a job is what gets you the interview. I don't really know. But I'm trying to finish my missing high school credits to get my diploma so then I could go to college, but I need the money. And I want to save some by the time I'm finished with my credits. I'm just desperate any tips, any advice ANYTHING that you could tell me on how I can get a job at any place that doesn't require much of an experience. Also how could I ace that interview at Macy's. It's in a week..

Hi Marisol,

Congratulations on your job interview with Macy's. I think the tips above are great, also after your interview I would advise you to send a thank you note via email reemphasizing that you want the job at Macy's and why they should hire you. I would also try going to places that you would like to work at and talking with the manager. Ask them what positions they are hiring for and let them know you are ready to work! Getting that first job without experience is always tough, but once you get that first job on your resume getting other jobs is like a cake walk. God Bless and I wish you the best with your future career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

gurgling_mrd in York, United Kingdom

56 months ago

It's worth looking out for sites that can advise on what companies are like, such as www.whataretheyreallylike.com - this will give you a better idea of what to look for, although can't answer everthing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

OLGA RUIZ in San Diego, California

46 months ago

Hi MACYS, I am looking for a job, your deartament store inspired me, are the best,because if I be the best, I can buy in your store, thank you for give us a very nice place for shopping,please,contact me,sincerely Olga.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (49) Reply - Report abuse

angeliz3 in Washington

45 months ago

So I just came home from the interview and this was my experience! I've previous worked for retail for about 3 years and so far its been great. I haven't been retail since HS days so to go back is quite new again. I recommend dressing nice and clean! I work a nice white tank, t shirt button-style blazor, nice pressed slacks and nice 1 inch heel boots which i put not over but inside the pants (looks professional)! Remember, hygiene counts so up keep those nice nails, shower, and look organized, not all over the place. You can add a nice colored shirt instead of white but settle colors.
What helped me through this was from this person. The questions were spot on!

go to glass door dot com and find Macy-s-Interview-Questions

Totally calmed my nerves down and felt more comfortable to answer. I felt relieved that the interviewer made some eye contact and looked down at the paper while writing some answers and not pure stare down (which some jobs there can be lol so stay calm)and flew through the questions. I've heard that if they tell you, we'll email you...thats usually not a good sign? Since its still september, I'm sure people are trying to figure out if they want to keep their job or go back to school. Good news bad news for me. As relieved as i was to hear that I would fit the "free..." forgot what its called,anyway, there was just too many workers to fit me in so good that they liked me but sad that i got put on a bench list.

This means i'm not hired but is in line for the next available shift and that i would receive a call instead. Now I'm not sure if I should be happy or just go looking for another job but i'm just glad i survived through the interview! PHEW! It really isn't that bad once you go through one or a couple, it really does get quite easy! I WISH YOU ALL LUCK OUT THERE! UPDATES us!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

angeliz3 in Washington

45 months ago

So I just came home from the interview and this was my experience! I've previous worked for retail for about 3 years and so far its been great. I haven't been retail since HS days so to go back is quite new again. I recommend dressing nice and clean! I work a nice white tank, t shirt button-style blazor, nice pressed slacks and nice 1 inch heel boots which i put not over but inside the pants (looks professional)! Remember, hygiene counts so up keep those nice nails, shower, and look organized, not all over the place. You can add a nice colored shirt instead of white but settle colors. The questions and answer were spot on.

glass door com Macys Interview Questions

Totally calmed my nerves down and felt more comfortable to answer. I felt relieved that the interviewer made some eye contact and looked down at the paper while writing some answers and not pure stare down (which some jobs there can be lol so stay calm)and flew through the questions. I've heard that if they tell you, we'll email you...thats usually not a good sign? Since its still september, I'm sure people are trying to figure out if they want to keep their job or go back to school. Good news bad news for me. As relieved as i was to hear that I would fit the "free..." forgot what its called. anyway, there was just too many workers to fit me in so good that they liked me but sad that i got put on a bench list.

This means i'm not hired but is in line for the next available shift and that i would receive a call instead. Now I'm not sure if I should be happy or just go looking for another job but i'm just glad i survived through the interview! PHEW! It really isn't that bad once you go through one or a couple, it really does get quite easy! I WISH YOU ALL LUCK OUT THERE! UPDATES us!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

angeliz3 in Washington

45 months ago

OOPS..sorry...it doubled! LOL....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rosh26 in New York, New York

44 months ago

hi everyone,i had my interview at today in flushing...questions was easy ,simple ....everyone was very friendly...they said they have alotttt of opening becuz of the season coming up...but i got put on the bench list .....so im wondering now ...they said by next week ill get a phone call....... Hope something wrks out ....btw ,good luck to all in job search

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.