First time going through a Temp agency. What just happened?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

OppositeLuck in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

21 months ago

Here is a quick synopsis of my story. I was at the same company for 4 years. We got a new supervisor who terminated me after 10 days of been on the job. The reason was silly and I was quickly awarded unemployment. MY unemployment ran out and i landed a job. Only to be laid off 3 months later. So i didnt qualify for unemployment. I was called by a few temp agencies but have heard friends in past tell me about negative experiences, so I ignored them. I happened to be talking to a acquaintance when a temp recruiter called me on other line. I told him let me check on something and i call him back. My acquaintance convinced me to give it a shot i have nothing to loose. Called recruiter back. Next day i was filling out paperwork. Later that day I was told the company liked my Resume they just waiting for confirmation. Next day i got a call that i would start Monday. I was on time everyday and did what was asked of me. The position was for Clerk/Customer Service. I was there 7 days when i got a call 3 minutes after quitting time by temp agency. That call said assignment ended and the company gave no reason. I called recuriter back who told me not to report tomorrow. The company gave no reason and it was nothing I did and im in good standing with the agency. That was it just 7 days and ended abruptly. The assignment was 4 weeks to indefinite. What just happened here?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hire_me_dammit in Fort Wayne, Indiana

21 months ago

The temp service could could be telling you the truth, or you could have been let go due to poor performance...only time will tell. If you left your assignment in good standing you will most likely get placed at another company...but you wont get placed again if you were let go due to poor work performance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Hire_me_dammit in Fort Wayne, Indiana said: The temp service could could be telling you the truth, or you could have been let go due to poor performance...only time will tell. If you left your assignment in good standing you will most likely get placed at another company...but you wont get placed again if you were let go due to poor work performance.

Hire me dammit its possible. However my first 2 days i sat someone and watched. The next few days I filed, sorted, printed and stuffed envelopes. The manager even praised me for a project she had me do said i did great headway with it usually takes her 2 hours. I did it in about 1 1/2 hours. I then started taking messages (since i still didnt know there system). The manager and other coworker told me to do best I can until i get more training/experience. I didnt start taking calls until day #5 as my terminal wasnt up yet. I also only had partial access. Day 7 i got a call @ 502 from agency that company ended assignment no reason giving by company. Recruiter told me i did nothing wrong and im in good standing with them as far he is concerned.

21 months ago

If this make a difference the company had a big meeting. Where the VP explained the financial state of the company. He did say the company was in the black but by only a .4 percent margin.

21 months ago

guest in San Francisco, California said: Here today.

Gone tomorrow.

Not your fault.

File for unemployment.

Best of Luck.

I wish i could. My unemployment was exhausted back in late May. I did get a job on my own but was laid off after 3 months. I was only at this job 7 days.

Meg in San Jose, California

21 months ago

You are definitely qualified for UI, if you don't believe me, at least call the office first thing in the morning to confirm.
You should have applied after the 3-month gig, and certainly after this 7-day.

Not sure why some folks misinterpreted UI rules and it's sad that they missed out on the unemployment. Told a friend that she's qualified for UI even though she only worked and let go after a few days, she's so happy that she's now getting $900 every 2 weeks for one year!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Meg in San Jose, California

21 months ago

No need to tell the UI office the temp gig was supposed to last 4 wks plus....as long as the agency confirms to UI that it ended the 7-day assignment, you are okay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

21 months ago

Some employers handle temps that way, i.e. not notifying you and having the agency notify you of the end of the assignment.

You'll never know what they thought of your work. Employers usually tell temps nothing. The employer may have told the agency how you did.

The agency may or may not call you back again. Believe me, they don't care about you at all. They'll only start caring about you when they need a fanny in a client's chair immediately.

Keep in contact with the agency and let them know you're available. That's all you can do.

Temping can be good experience, but it can also be brutal in that the pay is low, you get little respect and uncertainty as to length of job is high. There's not much you can do about it if you want to work.

I did quite a bit of temp work back in the day coming out of school with no experience. Now, with a lot of experience, I cannot get a temp job. Go figure.

Hire_me_dammit in Fort Wayne, Indiana

21 months ago

i believe tat you did a good job and the assignment being terminated wasn't your fault..just keep calling the temp and hope for the best

John in Catonsville, Maryland

21 months ago

Meg in San Jose, California said: You are definitely qualified for UI, if you don't believe me, at least call the office first thing in the morning to confirm.
You should have applied after the 3-month gig, and certainly after this 7-day.

Not sure why some folks misinterpreted UI rules and it's sad that they missed out on the unemployment. Told a friend that she's qualified for UI even though she only worked and let go after a few days, she's so happy that she's now getting $900 every 2 weeks for one year!

Here in MD, that is simply not true. I suspect things vary by state. Here, after exhausting UI, one has to "build up" again. I.E., one has to work until a specific amount has been replenished to "their" UI account.

21 months ago

Meg in San Jose, California said: No need to tell the UI office the temp gig was supposed to last 4 wks plus....as long as the agency confirms to UI that it ended the 7-day assignment, you are okay.

Meg I did apply right after the 3 month gig. That job was suppose to be a permanent job. Howwever we where a subcontractor for a larger company who decided to drop by 20% the amount they where paying that company thus they had to lay us of. I was denied Unemployment i may try again though.

21 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: Here in MD, that is simply not true. I suspect things vary by state. Here, after exhausting UI, one has to "build up" again. I.E., one has to work until a specific amount has been replenished to "their" UI account.

John this is what happened to me. Something about going back 4 quarters. Which in those last 4 quarter prior to that job i was not working. When i was working at the job i kind of knew a layoff was imminent because they where drastically cutting our hours. I hoped and hoped they would waited a little while to build up my Unemployment. Unfortunately for me they panicked and laid us off.

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

21 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: Some employers handle temps that way, i.e. not notifying you and having the agency notify you of the end of the assignment.

You'll never know what they thought of your work. Employers usually tell temps nothing. The employer may have told the agency how you did.

The agency may or may not call you back again. Believe me, they don't care about you at all. They'll only start caring about you when they need a fanny in a client's chair immediately.

Keep in contact with the agency and let them know you're available. That's all you can do.

Temping can be good experience, but it can also be brutal in that the pay is low, you get little respect and uncertainty as to length of job is high. There's not much you can do about it if you want to work.

I did quite a bit of temp work back in the day coming out of school with no experience. Now, with a lot of experience, I cannot get a temp job. Go figure.

You would not believe what happened at my company when they laid us off. We all got called in and told the bad news. In the mean time, this poor temp was sitting at her desk with all the others that weren't let go. She had no idea what was going on as we were packing up our things. Finally, one of the supervisors realized she needed to be told and she was told to pack up her things too. I am certain she didn't know it was coming since she had only been with us for a few weeks.

Sad that anyone is let go without any explanation or adequate warning.

21 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: You would not believe what happened at my company when they laid us off. We all got called in and told the bad news. In the mean time, this poor temp was sitting at her desk with all the others that weren't let go. She had no idea what was going on as we were packing up our things. Finally, one of the supervisors realized she needed to be told and she was told to pack up her things too. I am certain she didn't know it was coming since she had only been with us for a few weeks.

Sad that anyone is let go without any explanation or adequate warning.

In my job where i was at for 3 months i knew the lay off was coming. I took the job on a friends advice. Just prior they kept cutting our hours then cutting our hours again. They then started to take some of the terminals away and putting them in a different department. When i told my friend (who also worked here) that they going to lay us off. She kept insisting there werent to hang in there. We worked a 4/10 hour day. We where bought in to a room where the VP and a HR rep was there and giving the news. Some people werent there and got a phone call. One girl who just started with us didnt get the new and showed up to work the next day.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.