Following Up: Phone Call or E-Mail?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

David in Clifton, New Jersey

44 months ago

I plan to follow-up after submitting applications/my resumé to businesses, but am torn between calling or e-mailing them. While e-mailing seems easier, my concern is that it will be much easier for the employer to ignore it. On the other hand, if I call, I'm more likely to get an answer, but may lose points for disrupting the hiring manager. Which is the lesser of two evils?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

44 months ago

Personal opinion: both phone and email are very easy to ignore. Many times by phone, one will only get voice mail instead of a real live human.

Reply - Report abuse

Displaced Legal Professional in Aurora, Colorado

44 months ago

Do neither. Wait for them to call you. Employers receive legions of apps and resumes daily. It's not likely they will remember yours. Also it annoys employers when candidates call them to ask if their resumes were received.

Employers will call you if they're interested in pursuing your candidacy.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

44 months ago

David in Clifton, New Jersey said: I plan to follow-up after submitting applications/my resumé to businesses, but am torn between calling or e-mailing them. While e-mailing seems easier, my concern is that it will be much easier for the employer to ignore it. On the other hand, if I call, I'm more likely to get an answer, but may lose points for disrupting the hiring manager. Which is the lesser of two evils?

Bake them a cake and stop by in person. You do want to stand out from the rest of applicants don't you? Go the extra mile. LOL!

You don't follow up after a resume submission unless you want to hear an earful. You do after an interview and you call so you can leave a voicemail. LOL!
Emails are easily ignored.

Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

44 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Aurora, Colorado said: Employers will call you if they're interested in pursuing your candidacy.

That's how it works nowadays. There is no more following up by E-Mail or phone.

A lot of the job ads I come across, especially on Craigslist, specifically tell people NOT to call or E-Mail after applying and that, if they're interested, they'll make it a point to contact you.

Displaced Legal Professional in Aurora, Colorado said: Employers receive legions of apps and resumes daily.

That's why so many job postings, particularly on Craigslist, are vague to a certain degree. They DON'T want to be bothered in light of how many applicants are applying.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

44 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Aurora, Colorado said: Do neither. Wait for them to call you. Employers receive legions of apps and resumes daily. It's not likely they will remember yours. Also it annoys employers when candidates call them to ask if their resumes were received.

Employers will call you if they're interested in pursuing your candidacy.

It use to annoy me when people called and said, "Did you get my resumaaaaaaay? Puhleeze.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Job hunting today is not anything like it was 10, 15 or 20 years ago. A lot of the things they told you to do back then just don't apply in this day and age.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

44 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: Job hunting today is not anything like it was 10, 15 or 20 years ago. A lot of the things they told you to do back then just don't apply in this day and age.

That's very true.

A lot of advice that you read online is just as out-of-date.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

And people are still dispensing that "advice" in person. Workforce centers are a prime example. People who were never affected and those who are retired are another group.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

44 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: And people are still dispensing that "advice" in person. Workforce centers are a prime example. People who were never affected and those who are retired are another group.

Yup!

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: That's very true.

A lot of advice that you read online is just as out-of-date.

Heck, some things aren't even practical anymore. It was one thing to do it back then, but not now.

Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

44 months ago

Ron Paul wanted to eliminate the Energy dept, Commerce dept, Interior dept, Education dept, and Housing and Urban development. Calling them unnecessary bureaucracies.

I'd like to add the Dept of Labor dept. What a waste!

Reabsorbed that! Yea!

Reply - Report abuse

David in Clifton, New Jersey

44 months ago

See, this is what drives me crazy. Some people and career counselors tell you that following up shows that you're interested and not just going through the motions after applying. Then you folks tell me otherwise. Gah... The work world is like a woman sending me mixed messages. I don't know what to believe anymore. =(

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

David in Clifton, New Jersey said: See, this is what drives me crazy. Some people and career counselors tell you that following up shows that you're interested and not just going through the motions after applying. Then you folks tell me otherwise. Gah... The work world is like a woman sending me mixed messages. I don't know what to believe anymore. =(

Take your choice, but many of us on these boards have been unemployed/ underemployed for years. We have been the ones who have been dealing directly with these issues. Those who are telling you to follow up haven't looked for work since 1986.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: Job hunting today is not anything like it was 10, 15 or 20 years ago. A lot of the things they told you to do back then just don't apply in this day and age.
I never did those things back then, or even thirty years ago. AFAIAC those things never applied.

Except for large organizations, interested employers generally called me within a day or two after receipt of my materials. I wrote employers off if I was not called within that time period. A few called after few weeks or a month. Those calls were unexpected surprises.

Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

44 months ago

David in Clifton, New Jersey said: The work world is like a woman sending me mixed messages. (

I've never had this problem. Talk to me.

Anyhow, if your applying for a high level position then you can follow up after sending your information in. Some 50k job I wouldn't.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

David in Clifton, New Jersey said: See, this is what drives me crazy. Some people and career counselors tell you that following up shows that you're interested and not just going through the motions after applying.
It is or should be understood that merely applying demonstrates your interest. Otherwise, logically, you wouldn't waste your time and expend the brain damage preparing an app - would you?

You've done everything you could at the moment by submitting an app. The issue then becomes the employer's interest, which you cannot control. Even then, delivering a cake or sending the receptionist a dozen roses won't sway the employer if your quals don't fit.

Reply - Report abuse

Completely Broke and Broken in Cleveland, Ohio

44 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Ron Paul wanted to eliminate the Energy dept, Commerce dept, Interior dept, Education dept, and Housing and Urban development. Calling them unnecessary bureaucracies.

I'd like to add the Dept of Labor dept. What a waste!

Reabsorbed that! Yea!

Agreed, get rid of all of the above departments.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

44 months ago

Completely Broke and Broken in Cleveland, Ohio said: Agreed, get rid of all of the above departments.

Do you know that none of the people who head up Federal agencies ever applied? Heads of Federal agencies are "appointees". They are given those jobs like a King gives land and makes one an Earl or a Count. You have to know someone.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: Those who are telling you to follow up haven't looked for work since 1986.

Exactly. They haven't looked for work in 10 or more years so they're totally oblivious as to how things have changed and how a lot if obsolete and simply no longer practical.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

errr, is obsolete...

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.