Frustrated Job Seeker's Rant -- Feel Free to Add Your Thoughts

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8501 to 8550 of 20568)
Page:  « First « Previous   168  169  170  171  172  173  174  Next »   Last »

HappyHitchhiker in Salt Lake City, Utah

17 months ago

One would think that McDonald's would/could spend a little more time proofreading their employment questionnaire:

"I'm always happy talk about myself when chatting with others."

Now I am in the mood to watch South Pacific...lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Richmond in Richmond, Virginia

17 months ago

Jake can you get back to me if possible?

Steve in Richmond.

Jake in Sycamore, Illinois

17 months ago

Steve in Richmond in Richmond, Virginia said: To Jake in Sycamore lllinois!

Please forgive me for not getting back to you,but I tried to and the website crashed. I sent a report to the people in charge hopefully they'll fix it soon. Hopefully you'll get this note..I appreciate you writing to me..
Steve in Richmond

Yeah, not sure what's going on with whatever hosts Indeed's servers, but they've been bombing out a lot today.

Just let us here know some more specifics, and we can try to point you in the right direction as best we can.

sighing in southern, New Jersey

17 months ago

Does anyone know why a company would not set an application deadline? Instead, the ad says that they will be accepting applications until a candidate is hired. I think this is the first time I am seeing this. Usually, there is NO deadline/nothing mentioned in the ad, or there is an actual date indicated in the ad.

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario

17 months ago

^ I don't think thats anything new. I see a mix of ads with a deadline and a bunch without. Often you can be interviewing and all is going well but along comes a better candidate into the process, and the five interviews you've done up to that point are now moot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bailjumper in Mill Hall, Pennsylvania

17 months ago

Another suck job today. On Tuesday, a person contacted me about a part time job, that I am easily qualified for. The person said an interview was in order fot today. A formal application was sent to me. We all know what happened next. Silence. never heard a word back. I even contacted this person, thinking that I had missed a call, due to the bad weather this past week in the northeast. This was the second job denial today alone. Let's all start an underground cash economy, and start screwing all the so called employers.

JWebster in El Dorado, Arkansas

17 months ago

Steve in Richmond in Richmond, Virginia said: It's really hard to find any help to navigate my way through this.Anyone got any realistic sensible ideas. As you live here you'll know than I will about the system and how it works.

Welcome to the USA, sorry things are not going well, if you can stand the thought of waiting tables You might try to find an upscale, local restaurant that is not a chain, where you can actually fill out a paper application and speak to an actual human being, and the best part is that the decision is made locally. You can do very well at some of these places, especially on the weekend

17 months ago

Steve in Richmond in Richmond, Virginia said: It's really hard to find any help to navigate my way through this.Anyone got any realistic sensible ideas. As you live here you'll know than I will about the system and how it works.

Hi Steve, welcome to the USA, sorry things are not going well, if you can stand the thought of waiting tables I would look for a local, upscale restaurant that is not a chain, where you can actually fill out a paper application and speak to a real human being, you can do quite well at some of these places especially on the weekend

17 months ago

PS sorry about the re-post, indeed had an "error" and it seemed like it did not get posted the first time.

17 months ago

So my interview went well at the home depot today, all the usual B.S. questions of course but she did seem to be impressed when I told her I had previous experience with pallet jacks and forklifts. So the one thing I can say for sure is that at least they don't jerk you around, she said that if they were even considering me at all for this position they would call me back for another interview tomorrow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

17 months ago

Would you be willing to do the work of 1.5 people and get paid for only 40 hours ?

That's what a lot of companies want if they hire you and I am doing currently at my job.

17 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: Would you be willing to do the work of 1.5 people and get paid for only 40 hours ?

That's what a lot of companies want if they hire you and I am doing currently at my job.

It's a sh@#$% situation, no doubt, especially when the only other option seems to be living under a bridge drinking Thunderbird from a paper bag and eating dumpster scraps.

17 months ago

No doubt, many places today want 150% productivity and still pay you 40 hours.

I keep my mouth shout cause they will open the front door, give me a kick on my butt and tell me "you're fired !!!'' Donald Trump style.

Bluetea in Texas

17 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: No doubt, many places today want 150% productivity and still pay you 40 hours.

I keep my mouth shout cause they will open the front door, give me a kick on my butt and tell me "you're fired !!!'' Donald Trump style.

Cutting 1,000 jobs and cutting 1,000 people are two different conversations. The media makes you think its the same thing.

We use to say "What's worse? Getting laid off on a Friday or having to come in on Monday and pick up the slack?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

Cutting 1000 jobs and cutting 1000 people are the same thing. It is called satisifying the shareholders, kissing a-- to Wall Street pension fund holders, and the CEO will get the money from all the cuts. It is a shame that the almighty dollar is better than the people that made the company. It is suprising that more people have not taken an assualt rifle to their ex employers, or the firms that have screwed them.

17 months ago

Bailjumper in Mill Hall, Pennsylvania said: Cutting 1000 jobs and cutting 1000 people are the same thing. It is called satisifying the shareholders, kissing a-- to Wall Street pension fund holders, and the CEO will get the money from all the cuts. It is a shame that the almighty dollar is better than the people that made the company. It is suprising that more people have not taken an assualt rifle to their ex employers, or the firms that have screwed them.

I'll bet at least 25% of people have at least had that fleeting thought!

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

17 months ago

Hey Indeed, your site sucks bananas right now. Why can't I post anything?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

I should earn the idiot award tonight. My husband and I went to a town 12 miles from our house to get a burger. On the way out of the restaurant, a woman with her teenager was walking towards the door and my husband started talking to her because he talks to everyone. I kept thinking I know I've talked her recently, but couldn't remember where. Then it dawns on me. That's one of the people that interviewed me yesterday. I don't know why I had such a brain fart. Different clothes and different setting, screwed me up. She didn't act like "Hey, how's it going?" or say my name, so that threw me off. I guess I won't be getting that job I interviewed for yesterday, because I'm a forgetful idiot.

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

17 months ago

This Craigslist ad made me smile.

Certified hot Yoga teacher wanted (Pleasant Valley, NY)
Seeking certified Hot yoga teacher once weekly.

Compensation: tbd with experience and if following
This is a part-time job.
This is a contract job.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

17 months ago

Joe is going to become a Yoga teacher? Make sure you eat plenty of yogurt.

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

17 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Cutting 1,000 jobs and cutting 1,000 people are two different conversations. The media makes you think its the same thing.

We use to say "What's worse? Getting laid off on a Friday or having to come in on Monday and pick up the slack?"

Ha! Good question. My company did their layoff in the middle of the week, in the middle of the day. It was a small company and about half of us got called in and hit with the ax. Then we had the awful job of cleaning out our desks in front of the other half that got to stay. No one would look at each other. It was surreal and kinda cruel. I actually felt sorry for the ones left over having to watch us fight tears as we took down are personal artifacts from our cubicle walls and cleaned out our desks with supervisors watching. I know this was purposeful and meant to send a message to those not cut. I know they are now doing twice the work with no extra pay. I think there should be a special place in hell for any CEO that makes a layoff any more painful than necessary. Most of us had been there for years with no pay increases, taking on extra work to help keep things afloat.

Sometimes I truly wonder if you really get over being treated like that by a company you showed loyalty to. I never thought to jump ship like some of the others before the ax hit us. I learned my lesson.

HappyHitchhiker in Salt Lake City, Utah

17 months ago

So....got a call from Walmart today to come in for a pt cashier position. Not too sure if I really want it to or not. Pt would mean not much money (and this is walmart after all) and transportation alone would cost me $65 a month. Ugh! Its something, I know, but its walmart. I wouldn't mind I guess if it was out on the floor but to be a cashier again. I really want to move and this would help (or hinder not too sure which) but ...

Bluetea in Texas

17 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Sometimes I truly wonder if you really get over being treated like that by a company you showed loyalty to. I never thought to jump ship like some of the others before the ax hit us. I learned my lesson.

Me too. Downsized twice and fired once.

Today, the mere hit of an upcoming downsize will cause letters of resignation to hit HR's desk. Mine would be one of them. No more "wait and see".

Its better to jump ship early rather than be thrown overboard later. - old HR saying.

17 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said:

Sometimes I truly wonder if you really get over being treated like that by a company you showed loyalty to. I never thought to jump ship like some of the others before the ax hit us. I learned my lesson.

This period of unemployment has scarred me. You don't get over someone/company basically throwing you to the curb.

It makes you less outgoing and more protected of your feelings.

John in Catonsville, Maryland

17 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: This period of unemployment has scarred me. You don't get over someone/company basically throwing you to the curb.

If I remember correctly, I have been out of work longer than you. Trust me, you really, truly, do not want to experience the terror of being out of work, with no prospects (to speak of) for 5 years. Yes, it can and does make one more introverted.

17 months ago

And it will show up during an interview. Then that will get you disqualified again. Another kick in the backside. And when does it end?

Bluetea in Texas

17 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: This period of unemployment has scarred me. You don't get over someone/company basically throwing you to the curb.

I am far less outgoing and carefree than I use to be.

Ever hear your grandparents talk about The Great Depression? Your grandchildren will remember you talking about The Great Recession.

Mad Hatter in North Hollywood, California

17 months ago

I think we must have worked at the same company.

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Ha! Good question. My company did their layoff in the middle of the week, in the middle of the day. It was a small company and about half of us got called in and hit with the ax. Then we had the awful job of cleaning out our desks in front of the other half that got to stay. No one would look at each other. It was surreal and kinda cruel. I actually felt sorry for the ones left over having to watch us fight tears as we took down are personal artifacts from our cubicle walls and cleaned out our desks with supervisors watching. I know this was purposeful and meant to send a message to those not cut. I know they are now doing twice the work with no extra pay. I think there should be a special place in hell for any CEO that makes a layoff any more painful than necessary. Most of us had been there for years with no pay increases, taking on extra work to help keep things afloat.

Endoftheworld in East Hartford, Connecticut

17 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: This Craigslist ad made me smile.

Certified hot Yoga teacher wanted (Pleasant Valley, NY)
Seeking certified Hot yoga teacher once weekly.

If that's a legit ad it's for Bikram Yoga I believe which is the type where the studio is excedingly hot like 100 degrees. I believe the pt. is to purify your body thru intense sweating. We had a studio near where I live but it closed after a few months. Sounds dreadful. I've never heard it advertised as "hot yoga" per se but it was all the rage around here a while ago but I have not seen any advertisements for a while and not sure if it's being offered as much, it like exercising in a Sauna.
I got a reduced gym membership due to their scholarship program for poor people at the local Y 2 yrs., ago and had to give it up as the gym was too warm, if exercising indoors I prefer cooler than regular room temp as sweating is a big turnoff, I like to really work out hard and not be drenched in sweat just walking on treadmill at moderate pace. Most gyms are too warm for me so even if almost free I'd rather go for a run outside in 20 degrees.

17 months ago

Well, I didn't get a phone call from Home Depot today so I have to assume the worst, I guess I'm going back to NH to freeze my nutsack off, at least I'm 85% sure I can find a job there, here it doesn't seem to be going so well and I've already wasted 5 months dicking around

17 months ago

Bailjumper in Mill Hall, Pennsylvania said: And it will show up during an interview. Then that will get you disqualified again. Another kick in the backside. And when does it end?

You are right, I am quite sure it has shown up in interviews. But, then again, haven't been able to get an interview for quite some time. Simply no jobs for me to apply for around here.

Endoftheworld in East Hartford, Connecticut

17 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: If I remember correctly, I have been out of work longer than you. Trust me, you really, truly, do not want to experience the terror of being out of work, with no prospects (to speak of) for 5 years. Yes, it can and does make one more introverted.

Are you still actively looking? am thinking of calling it quits for good, after 4+ yrs. I think Hell will freeze before I get a job. The hopelessness and rage are almost intolerable and likely would be for a person with higher expectations.
After mother's constant nagging I emailed a follow up email to last week's interview (job sposed to start Monday) this morning and got NO reply. It was doubly annoying as I was toying with the idea of asking "what happened?" since I felt I clicked with the interviewer/potential boss but mother's constant nagging over it made it seem as if I wrote the note because mommy made me do it- argh!

Of course one would be MORE introverted with long term UE esp. if your job was your main source of socialization and human contact. If you did not have your museum volunteer job you'd likely be even more isolated and introverted. I believe if the L/T UE have friends, after several months/years? those contacts would fall off as you don't have the $ to go out and you will have the "taint" so nobody wants to have anything to do with you, in case it's catching.

17 months ago

Yeah but eventually you have to leave your apartment and socialize with people at the grocery store, library, movies, the mall,...etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

Endoftheworld in East Hartford, Connecticut said: Are you still actively looking? am thinking of calling it quits for good, after 4+ yrs. I think Hell will freeze before I get a job. The hopelessness and rage are almost intolerable and likely would be for a person with higher expectations.
After mother's constant nagging I emailed a follow up email to last week's interview (job sposed to start Monday) this morning and got NO reply. It was doubly annoying as I was toying with the idea of asking "what happened?" since I felt I clicked with the interviewer/potential boss but mother's constant nagging over it made it seem as if I wrote the note because mommy made me do it- argh!

Of course one would be MORE introverted with long term UE esp. if your job was your main source of socialization and human contact. If you did not have your museum volunteer job you'd likely be even more isolated and introverted. I believe if the L/T UE have friends, after several months/years? those contacts would fall off as you don't have the $ to go out and you will have the "taint" so nobody wants to have anything to do with you, in case it's catching.

I glance at a couple job sites from time to time. Not really looking very hard, way too frustrating as you said. What's worse is attempting to "live" with no money. I really truly don't want to live in a tent. I want electric, heat, some of the basic comforts of life. Then I will get greedy and want a car and a couple "extras" (a/c, tv, computer).

So, though I really do not expect to work at a full time job (forget about decent pay) something is simply going to have to give.

17 months ago

This ia a first for me. I was fortunate enough to land an interview this week with a company. By the way, I was dumped twice this week already from other applications. I arrived at the appointed time. Well---- the door was locked, and no lights on that I could see. I wasted 84 miles and three hours of my time. I never received any notification that the meeting was off or postponed. I sent the corporate office a bill for travel expense, like that will get me anywhere.
And my wife can't understand why I don't care anymore.

17 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: I glance at a couple job sites from time to time. Not really looking very hard, way too frustrating as you said. What's worse is attempting to "live" with no money. I really truly don't want to live in a tent. I want electric, heat, some of the basic comforts of life. Then I will get greedy and want a car and a couple "extras" (a/c, tv, computer).

So, though I really do not expect to work at a full time job (forget about decent pay) something is simply going to have to give.

There are places around the US that are called "tent city". People with no jobs live in old RV's and tents. Most carry shotguns around since it's like the wild west. One such place is in Calif. I think in the desert.

17 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: There are places around the US that are called "tent city". People with no jobs live in old RV's and tents. Most carry shotguns around since it's like the wild west. One such place is in Calif. I think in the desert.

It's called Slab City, just outside of a town called Niland, but there's a real douchebag named Eric Amptmeyer who is trying his hardest to make life almost impossible for the homeless out there

Bluetea in Texas

17 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: There are places around the US that are called "tent city". People with no jobs live in old RV's and tents. Most carry shotguns around since it's like the wild west. One such place is in Calif. I think in the desert.

I use to work in downtown LA, not far from skid row and they use to have a little white, unmarked van that drove around early in the morning. They were from the coroners' office - picking up the dead. Very medieval.

17 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: I really truly don't want to live in a tent. I want electric, heat, some of the basic comforts of life. Then I will get greedy and want a car and a couple "extras" (a/c, tv, computer).

The job your looking for doesn't exist. I know because that's what I'm searching for also.

Mostly 2 types of jobs out there. Great pay type but comes with unbelievable amount of stress, long hours, etc. AND

Low pay, no stress, dead end..........

50 hr work week, sometimes stressful, good pay to afford the basics and a few extras at times doesn't exist any longer. Once every 6 months I'll see one being posted but so does everyone else. Allot of times it's not in my field. Nowadays most of these jobs are in government. Example, DOL labor rep. (they only work 38 hrs)

Life s*cks John.

17 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: The job your looking for doesn't exist. I know because that's what I'm searching for also.

Mostly 2 types of jobs out there. Great pay type but comes with unbelievable amount of stress, long hours, etc. AND

Low pay, no stress, dead end..........

50 hr work week, sometimes stressful, good pay to afford the basics and a few extras at times doesn't exist any longer. Once every 6 months I'll see one being posted but so does everyone else. Allot of times it's not in my field. Nowadays most of these jobs are in government. Example, DOL labor rep. (they only work 38 hrs)

Life s*cks John.

That is exactly what I've been seeing for years now around here. Just trying to find high value stuff to sell and get pocket money at least. My present network go only so far with that at the moment.

sighing in southern, New Jersey

17 months ago

UGH. I keep trying to post, but keep getting errors.

Bailjumper, I am so sorry that happened to you.

17 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: That is exactly what I've been seeing for years now around here. Just trying to find high value stuff to sell and get pocket money at least. My present network go only so far with that at the moment.

Those good middle class jobs are no more...yours and my parents used to have them.

Where do you get the high value stuff to sell?

Louise in Newton Center, Massachusetts

17 months ago

UGH I try to keep a positive attitude but it is nice to read some of these stories/rants and realize I am not alone! I have tried everything but so many career coaches etc cost too much money. I did get cheap resume help, that has gotten me some interviews but the jobs would require relocating which I don't want to have to do. Anyway in the spirit of being helpful, www.fastresumehelp.com. Worth a shot and best of luck to everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Those good middle class jobs are no more...yours and my parents used to have them.

Where do you get the high value stuff to sell?

I recently sold an old flag for close to 400 (from my parents). Last summer, a friend gave me some collectable tools which, when all said and done, netted thousands. Other things have included different electronics netting 50-200 each, mostly received from friends. I have sold a few things for museums which brought in some money as well.

17 months ago

ONLY ON CRAIGSLIST!

Gay man looking to hire gay man (East Stroudsburg)

I have some small jobs to be done and would like to support a fellow gay man.

-Painting
-Dry wall
-Hang paneling
-Yard clean up
-Door hung

Compensation: Pay
•Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
•Please, no phone calls about this job!

17 months ago

Good one!

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

17 months ago

HappyHitchhiker in Salt Lake City, Utah said: So....got a call from Walmart today to come in for a pt cashier position. Not too sure if I really want it to or not. Pt would mean not much money (and this is walmart after all) and transportation alone would cost me $65 a month. Ugh! Its something, I know, but its walmart. I wouldn't mind I guess if it was out on the floor but to be a cashier again. I really want to move and this would help (or hinder not too sure which) but ...

Hi, I haven't been following things too close here lately...but based on my own experience I would recommend taking a PT gig.

Best success either way.

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

17 months ago

Joe G--you working?

travler in Saint Cloud, Minnesota

17 months ago

Looking on the Bright side. Even though I think I live in one of the most BIGOTED areas in the Upper Midwest, where it is to the point where you can not even walk into a business much less fill out an application. Indeed has to be the best of all of the job search engines.

moneynolivehere in Perris, California

17 months ago

Getting stressed on by my mom now, called lazy etc.. I know some of you know what i mean. I really try not to get depressed, i never let the situation soak in, but it can be pretty harsh when your mom gets on you. I never planed to be like this and don't like putting it on others, so I tend to try to keep to myself about it. I wish I could show her this thread, that outside of the news, and local gossip, there are a million of us struggling without a job, but I know the outcome would be "they are all like you, lazy".

The motivation factor just drops after putting out soo many job applications and resumes here and there, just to never hear back from anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   168  169  170  171  172  173  174  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.