Frustrated Job Seeker's Rant -- Feel Free to Add Your Thoughts

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 26458)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Ktalbert in Manchester, New Hampshire

57 months ago

In all honesty, I think that employer's just don't have the money -- albeit business is down everywhere and many of them are just trying to see if they can exploit the desperate times right now.

Many simply stick an ad in somewhere, especially somewhere online where the cost is nothing or minimal, trolling to see what they hook on their line. Is it better than what they have? Will this new hire except more responsibility and less pay or benefits? Can we get rid of our deadwood and consolidate two jobs into one?

Either way, we the job seekers lose, because we'll get hired for lower rates than what we know we're worth and for a boatload of more responsibility.

Worse, is that the number of attrition/replacement type jobs is low to the number of seekers out there. Its like being on a merry-go-round where the employer might stop the thing for a minute, we all preen hoping to be plucked and then the thing all starts up again, with people getting on and off it all the time.

That's not recovery, that's stagnation and we're in the thick of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

Whenever you advertise for jobs in the papers, please do away with this "we're just taking names and numbers" and you don't get to me. Or whenever I ask to speak to a specific person and you won't me put me through to him or her.

Staffing agencies: Go back to the way it was 15 or even 20, 25 years ago, when you can simply make an appointment and come in and register for work. Why do you have to see resumes first? You've literally become the Human Resources Department for every company there is.

Stop listing qualifications for the "perfect" employee! You want somebody to come in there and "hit the ground running." You don't want to take time and train somebody. You want a perfectionist! How are people going to get experience if they don't want to take the time and train them? We are human beings: and not machines!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Discusted Candidate in Chicago, Illinois

57 months ago

Taking names that sounds like a restaurant that is crowded and they are taking names to seat you. Tell the agency this is not Denny's!

Problem with the staffing agencies is they post tons of fake jobs on the boards just look at the company names and all you see is Kelly temps, Robert Half etc. Those are the only companies hiring? Employers could go through the boards themselves to find resumes. What did agencies do 30 years ago when we did not have the internet? They survived and did very well then. When an employer had an opening they had the number to call. Now they don't need it, as agencies are always hounding them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Janet in Sherman Oaks, California

57 months ago

I am a older unemployed person who worked in offices for the past 30 years. I have been unemployed for a year now. While unemployed my son had me watch my grandchildren which I love to do. I joined a website hooking up people looking for child care and people wanting to care for children. There is a real market out there for people to do this and the pay is comparable to what companies want to pay. I also find people are looking for mature individuals to watch their children. I enjoy being able to take walks outside. Not deal with office politics and have little ones give back in hugs and appreciation a hell of a lot more than grouchy, stressed out bosses. I am not posting the website because I don't want people to think I'm trying to push a website. I just want older people to see other options.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Are You Serious in Denver, Colorado

57 months ago

Hello everyone! I'm so excited to finally, be moving forward towards seriously launching an actual, productive work related training project and will be speaking to community training project coodinators tommorrow! If other standard companies in this community want to hire garbage and women who aren't properly attired or women with nasty attitudes, they can. I don't even believe me and my mom went shopping today and seen employees in dirty T-shirts, with duck tape on them, ratty hair and no makeup. Yet, I have quite a bit to offer in the personality area, I dress/attire myself decently, am well groomed, wear makeup and have decent hair, have excellent references, a positive, team attitude and a desire to achieve big things, yet day after day, after day, I struggle to locate basic cooperation for a job from employers in this community for employment (but they can set aside time for slobs and other less than professional, sometimes rude, individuals?)........BS! It's like pulling wisdom teeth from some of these employers. I could easily be working in a public service sector, government or for a professional business office environment, (including doctor or lawyer type settings). I feel big changes happening for me in 2010! I will keep everyone updated on my status.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Erin Myers in Reseda, California

57 months ago

Are You Serious in Denver, Colorado said: Hello everyone! I'm so excited to finally, be moving forward towards seriously launching an actual, productive work related training project and will be speaking to community training project coodinators tommorrow! If other standard companies in this community want to hire garbage and women who aren't properly attired or women with nasty attitudes, they can. I don't even believe me and my mom went shopping today and seen employees in dirty T-shirts, with duck tape on them, ratty hair and no makeup. Yet, I have quite a bit to offer in the personality area, I dress/attire myself decently, am well groomed, wear makeup and have decent hair, have excellent references, a positive, team attitude and a desire to achieve big things, yet day after day, after day, I struggle to locate basic cooperation for a job from employers in this community for employment (but they can set aside time for slobs and other less than professional, sometimes rude, individuals?)........BS! It's like pulling wisdom teeth from some of these employers. I could easily be working in a public service sector, government or for a professional business office environment, (including doctor or lawyer type settings). I feel big changes happening for me in 2010! I will keep everyone updated on my status.

*golf claps*

At least now, we are honing in on your age-range. It definitely explains some of the responses that you've given here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Discusted Candidate in Chicago, Illinois said: Taking names that sounds like a restaurant that is crowded and they are taking names to seat you. Tell the agency this is not Denny's!

Problem with the staffing agencies is they post tons of fake jobs on the boards just look at the company names and all you see is Kelly temps, Robert Half etc. Those are the only companies hiring? Employers could go through the boards themselves to find resumes. What did agencies do 30 years ago when we did not have the internet? They survived and did very well then. When an employer had an opening they had the number to call. Now they don't need it, as agencies are always hounding them.

When you say I'll hear back from you, ACTUALLY CONTACT ME BACK, EVEN IF IT IS FOR A REJECTION. Yes, as it has been said numerous Times here to me and to others, NO, I do NOT wait around for a person to contact me back..I have since learned my Lesson; however...it would be nice to know.

"First Offer Wins!"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

I'm pleased with my recent progress! I get my good dress/attire taste from the mother and grandmother, and like them, I do take the time to attire myself nicely. In fact they both either take me shopping to have nice clothes for work or providing me funding to do shop for nice clothes/hair/makeup. When I put forth all this effort to look nice and then employers claim they can't find nicely dressed women with positive attitudes to work, but then they turn around and hire "ladies" with poor attitudes/work ethic, who show up ungroomed, with hygeine problems and are inappropriately dressed/things hanging out, and in some cases like slobs with holy, ducktaped and/or dirty clothes. I hate to be blunt, but some of these people look like they simply rolled out of bed and put no effort into their working/personal appearance. I have lost respect for HR at many companies in this community. You're thinking, "Shame on you. For over 2+ years, nicely attired, women with great personalities, and positive, can-do, team attitudes, waited and waited and waited and waited inappropriately on you for a job response only to observe that you hired loosers that sport dirty, nasty, or ducktaped clothes to work? Do you even have a conscience at all?"

I love beautiful clothes! I count myself fortunate though, that I'm one of the few that can look nice in a work setting including casual friday wear.

Some of these folks are truly pushing the "casual" line, into "slob". There are days when I look at those running places and I'm like, "So are you telling me if I look like a dirty slob, and wear chili stained/dirty or ducktaped t-shirts and holy jeans, show up with ratty hair and no makeup, then, I will be a suitable employee for you? I get so sick looking at many of you employers, and to think you are supposed to be leaders and role models and setting the standard in this community."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Hey in Des Plaines, Illinois

57 months ago

Erin Myers in Reseda, California said: *golf claps*

At least now, we are honing in on your age-range. It definitely explains some of the responses that you've given here.

Ha! Totally.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DollyParton83 in Hackensack,NJ, New Jersey

57 months ago

I think it's time we start putting these companies on blast!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

MiraclePlease in Commerce, Georgia said: They should be fined for wasting people's time when they have no intention of hiring. Some of these companies have totally flipped out and lost all professionalism.

Hi there! I'm just trying to be of positive assistance today and help you bypass the abusive behavior, domestic chicken squabbling/arguing and serious mental problems of some of these "employers" in your community.

I was pleasantly surprised when I visited my county's workforce center and looked further into paid training/on the job work programs. You should see what is available where you live at your county workforce center. The staff I recently spoke to were very professional, helpful, friendly and prompt (as it should be when you go in to obtain employment from any employer)! I can't wait to see what their offerings are. I can already tell they are seriously taking an active interest in my success and want to link me up with those who are equally ambitious, professional and geared towards engaging in productive activities/goals, in a positive work environment, as I am.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Are You Serious in Denver, Colorado said: Hi there! I'm just trying to be of positive assistance today and help you bypass the abusive behavior, domestic chicken squabbling/arguing and serious mental problems of some of these "employers" in your community.

I was pleasantly surprised when I visited my county's workforce center and looked further into paid training/on the job work programs. You should see what is available where you live at your county workforce center. The staff I recently spoke to were very professional, helpful, friendly and prompt (as it should be when you go in to obtain employment from any employer)! I can't wait to see what their offerings are. I can already tell they are seriously taking an active interest in my success and want to link me up with those who are equally ambitious, professional and geared towards engaging in productive activities/goals, in a positive work environment, as I am.

Hmmm....helpful advice, I'll look into it. You never know!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

MiraclePlease in Commerce, Georgia said: They should be fined for wasting people's time when they have no intention of hiring. Some of these companies have totally flipped out and lost all professionalism.

Psst! There's an expression that goes, "He or She isn't "dating material" ", well some of these employers aren't "Serious Employer Material". Recently I was like, "How is it that some of you employers can hire "ladies" who dress like total slobs, no hair or makeup did, who look like they've rolled out of bed, even, who are poorly dressed/groomed? And recently I observed one "lady" working for an organization wearing a dirty t-shirt with ducktape to a job closely working with the public in a public setting, but yet I take the time to be professional, well dressed and present an attractive image and can't obtain work? BS. This right here is a professional business, government or charitable organization level employee."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Janet in North Hollywood, California

57 months ago

Erin, let us know what you find out. I am in Van Nuys and called EDD and they said they had not work/training programs and the Work Source Center on Sepulveda and Sherman Way said EDD just rents space from them and other than the computers, phones and fax machines there was nothing they could do to help. Let me know because my unemployment is running out in a couple of weeks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Janet in North Hollywood, California said: Erin, let us know what you find out. I am in Van Nuys and called EDD and they said they had not work/training programs and the Work Source Center on Sepulveda and Sherman Way said EDD just rents space from them and other than the computers, phones and fax machines there was nothing they could do to help. Let me know because my unemployment is running out in a couple of weeks

Well, I won't be able to do anything formally until Monday, but I will let you know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

I hate Liars in Atlanta, Georgia

57 months ago

My favorite it comment is "you live too far away". I've hear that more times than I can count. It seems like you have to lie to get a job anymore. ...And to these potential "employers" out there - Don't you lie either during the job search process.

One of the first interviews I had was with a Java "Architect" who flat out lied and told me about a portion of the language that was going to go away (that Vector classes were deprecated for the curious). He was insistent to the point where the rest of the interviews (4 people in 3 hours didn't go well).
Maybe I should have just blown it of, but I don't carry Java references with me to interviews.

I had a phone screen with a different company, and the hiring manager told me that 57 miles each way was too far for me to drive to work. The same hiring manager also questioned why I was laid off (work force reduction) - he accused me of lying. This "manager also wanted to know why I changed majors in college (20 years past).

This is a pretty good sampling of what I've run into. Both of these companies are in the Fortune 500.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

I was a single mother who went to school and had to change majors twice, had to drop out of school to take care of my kids so I never finished with a degree and have had a spite of unskilled low wage jobs. I've also gained skills in other areas in an effort to make up lost time building a career, been self employed in the trades, what's worse is the trade I learned and am good at is a non-traditional for women and the discrimination is rampant and shameless.

I know for a fact that I will not get a job until the economy gets going hot again and every other macho-man A-Hole from the best to worst is hired first. I will probably be underemployed/self employed for years to come. Its a given.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Ktalbert in Manchester, New Hampshire said: I was a single mother who went to school and had to change majors twice, had to drop out of school to take care of my kids so I never finished with a degree and have had a spite of unskilled low wage jobs. I've also gained skills in other areas in an effort to make up lost time building a career, been self employed in the trades, what's worse is the trade I learned and am good at is a non-traditional for women and the discrimination is rampant and shameless.

I know for a fact that I will not get a job until the economy gets going hot again and every other macho-man A-Hole from the best to worst is hired first. I will probably be underemployed/self employed for years to come. Its a given.

I laud you for going strong despite discrimination. I am almost 40 and I, along with many here, are experiencing Ageism as well. It's shameful. I've also noticed that commute distance is a HUGE factor for many Companies now; anything over 10 miles each way, I get crap for "Are you sure you can travel that far?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Thanks for the support, yes agiesm is huge as well...any excuse at this point I think. What I get in the trades, is "do you have a truck?"

Well yes, I have a truck and a barnfull of tools, but if I don't get a damn job soon, that truck is going to rot in the driveway uninspectable and not roadworthy in no time and I'll be pawning my tools to pay my rent. Its ridiculous. Can you get to work? Oh? You can...well let me see...in a truck...ok....in a truck with a box?....ok....

Its like they are wrangling to eliminate among the billizions of applicants.

"Its our chance, we'll get that non reproducing, never getting sick, youngish mature, know everything that will except all our training and surrender to our authority but will delegate and have leadership skills...

its never ending.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

<em>".in a truck...ok....in a truck with a box?....ok..."</em>

...in train? In the rain? Would you like them in a box? With a fox? Would you like green eggs and ham?

No I wouldn't like them Sam I am..

Just couldn't resist. I think employers are using the same paradigm as Dr. Seuss.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ronnie in Cincinnati, Ohio

57 months ago

Even when you get offered a job, they treat you like crap. I just interviewed with a company. Yes, it started out as an entry level interview, but they were soooo impressed with my resume that that they offered me a job with much more responsibility. Silly me, I assumed the better job would pay more. It does not. Now that's a company taking advantage of desperate people during desperate times to under pay them. It's infuriating. I haven't even started yet and I hate these people. This job pays about the same as unemployment except now I have the expense of buying fuel and buying clothes to wear to work. I believe there is a special place in hell for people who treat other people this way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MiraclePlease in Commerce, Georgia

57 months ago

Ronnie in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Even when you get offered a job, they treat you like crap. I just interviewed with a company. Yes, it started out as an entry level interview, but they were soooo impressed with my resume that that they offered me a job with much more responsibility. Silly me, I assumed the better job would pay more. It does not. Now that's a company taking advantage of desperate people during desperate times to under pay them. It's infuriating. I haven't even started yet and I hate these people. This job pays about the same as unemployment except now I have the expense of buying fuel and buying clothes to wear to work. I believe there is a special place in hell for people who treat other people this way.

Yeah and that place is in the very depths of hell. But before they go to hell they sure will be a huge round of karma after them. So they will feel the pain not once, but twice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

searching in Des Plaines, Illinois

57 months ago

With the prevalence of employers taking advantage of skilled workers, I have to wonder if we are headed for serfdom again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

I understand your pain, believe me. I saw a job offered on craigslist, it was low paying, but close to my house and would be easy until I got something else. But the ad said, "Three guys", so I snidely kind of wrote that wouldn't they consider a qualified woman? I am so used to getting no response that I'm getting a bit quippy with them.

Well, I got an email back the next day, would I please come down and apply for this job? They want me to drive over an hour away to a TEMP AGENCY to apply for a job less than 2 miles from my house, that I don't even know I'll get! And the job barely pays more than McDonalds! Just tell me to come to the jobsite, interview me and lets get on with this.

I don't have the funds to drive all around the country chasing hopes and dreams, been there done that.

What is wrong with these people?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

fred2day in Renton, Washington

57 months ago

I have had interviews that don't make sense. At & T interactive sales managers are clueless. I've interviewed there three times. They used to pay $50,000 a year base salary but are down to $30,000 base and are hiring real estate agents for advertising positions. No one stays! I had a great record in another advertising group and did quite well but never did get the job there. Advertising sales people are weird! I spent an hour with several companys - Integra Telecom. Quwsrtion Can you pick up 50 business cards a day! Sales manager well I don't think you could do his job. They are hiring every week! MAybe what thery are looking for has pasted through there fingers and the pie in the sky doesn't exist. I spent 2 hours with a regional manager at Reach Local and was told They had someone better qualifies. I had been unemployyed 6 months and had probably lost my edge was the recuiters comment. Salary requirements a joke. Veriaon Yellow PAges is another one, NAme 5 ways to use paper clips and don't be over the age of 30 to get the job, 5 recruiters a a week can call about the inside sales posiion and experience doesn;t help. Do you fit. Watch out for the spelling areas. Computer key sticks. HOw about career fairs. WoW Multi level marketing field day. Door to Door sales for comcast.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Ktalbert in Manchester, New Hampshire said: I understand your pain, believe me. I saw a job offered on craigslist, it was low paying, but close to my house and would be easy until I got something else. But the ad said, "Three guys", so I snidely kind of wrote that wouldn't they consider a qualified woman? I am so used to getting no response that I'm getting a bit quippy with them.

Well, I got an email back the next day, would I please come down and apply for this job? They want me to drive over an hour away to a TEMP AGENCY to apply for a job less than 2 miles from my house, that I don't even know I'll get! And the job barely pays more than McDonalds! Just tell me to come to the jobsite, interview me and lets get on with this.

I don't have the funds to drive all around the country chasing hopes and dreams, been there done that.

What is wrong with these people?

EVERYTHING....rudeness abounds: Here's my Rant to add: Offer fell through with a Company that I filled out Paperwork with, for whatever reason, and they're not even writing me a Letter to inform me otherwise...all I am getting is silence (BTW I've already continued my Job Search). Many would say that I "dodged a bullet" w/o even realizing it I guess...that the Company's rudeness was a clear Sign they'd not be the right people to work for....but still..!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

The no response thing is so common that I'm slowly learning to accept it as the way people do business these days -- at least they do. When I was doing my contracting business and interviewed workers or subs for a job, if I wasn't considering them, I had the decency to call and let them know. I knew many were really wanting the gig or the job and I wasn't interested in burning bridges with people. Consideration is a two way street as far as I'm concerned.

And frankly, email is getting extremely irritating to me. It seems like its so easy for people to just on free sites and sit back and troll for what comes in, if they don't like it, so what? No money invested in the ad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Ktalbert in Manchester, New Hampshire said: The no response thing is so common that I'm slowly learning to accept it as the way people do business these days -- at least they do. When I was doing my contracting business and interviewed workers or subs for a job, if I wasn't considering them, I had the decency to call and let them know. I knew many were really wanting the gig or the job and I wasn't interested in burning bridges with people. Consideration is a two way street as far as I'm concerned.

And frankly, email is getting extremely irritating to me. It seems like its so easy for people to just on free sites and sit back and troll for what comes in, if they don't like it, so what? No money invested in the ad.

Yep, I hear ya. Whenever I interviewed for Retail Employees, I'd say this: "I'll be interviewing for the next couple of days; whomever I choose to move forward with for a Final Interview, I'll call by 3 p.m. 3 days from now. If you don't get a call by 3 p.m. on that Day, it means that I've chosen someone else to move forward with. Regardless, good luck with your Search." And then I would keep my WORD. I so can't wait, to be a Hiring Manager again, it'll be nice to help bring Respect back to the Workplace....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

I have no doubt that there are a number of people who would like the return of a feudal type system where only two classes of people exist: the very wealthy that control most everything and their workers.

It exists in too many parts of the world already, supported by mega corporations that bribe governments to look the other way or break unions or any attempts at workers organizing for better conditions.

I see it coming again if people don't unite.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Sales? I've done sales for years and was sucked into going for an 'interview' for a 'sales management' position that I should have known was a scam. Me and a laid off school teacher were present. I had to drive nearly a 100 miles that day to two different locations only to find myself in a huge retail store following some young kid who was pigeonholing people to direct sell them products -- a roving vendor within the store!

The worse was they got paid full commission, no base at all. Stalking poor witless shoppers to sell them kitchen remodels or setting up in club stores to sell holiday goodies.

I'm an adult, not a twenty-year old student who lives in mom's basement. Why waste my friggin time and feed me full of BS all day? If I had known what the job was about, I would have never gotten dressed up, pushed aside other opportunities, burned up fuel and two days for nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Average in Everett, Massachusetts

57 months ago

Ktalbert in Manchester, New Hampshire said: I have no doubt that there are a number of people who would like the return of a feudal type system where only two classes of people exist: the very wealthy that control most everything and their workers.

It exists in too many parts of the world already, supported by mega corporations that bribe governments to look the other way or break unions or any attempts at workers organizing for better conditions.

I see it coming again if people don't unite.

That's called protectionism. Too many people make their living on exploiting the cost-of-living differences between developed and developing countries for anything to change. If anything, I'm told that skilled labor people will have to work much harder than they are right now. If you're not writing software or cramming every second you're slacking off.

One of the many reasons why we have more foregin graduate students in the STEM fields is because they didn't have to pay America's undergraduate tuition rates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

You are absolutely right, except that I don't think that anything is static, the entire system of exploitation is not self sustainable but depends upon the ability to have other resources to exploit, which then are consumed to exhaustion.

Its pretty grim and I don't think I'll see it in my lifetime, but I believe that the dual forces of environmental destruction and natural resource depletion will coincide with human resource exhaustion and depletion which will lead to global aggravated conflicts.

What will come of it, none of us have anyway of knowing, but I don't think anything will remain unchanged. Most people I talk to who study these issues (social scientists, economists) think that power will first be more consolidated allowing for a small oligarchy to feed off the world population is more exaggerated way than today.

I do think though that we as humans do have the potential to interrupt that progression to our mutual benefit, if we can overcome prejudice, ignorance and fear.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

The "Cost" of Rejection:

1. Going through ALL the EFFORT of buying a Suit/hosiery/accesories with $ that you don't have: 200.00

2. Getting your Resume printed out on fancy paper that you can't afford: 35.00

3. Filling out Background Check Paperwork only to find out, from a totally incompetent HR Rep that your Potential Future "Boss" REQUIRES *you* to pay MORE $ out of your own POCKET to provide him with a Copy of a 3-Bureau Credit Report so he can see every little "inth" of your Credit History: 25.00

4. Not getting hired although the HR Rep insisted that you'd hear back from your potential Boss ASAP later on that Day: SHAMEFUL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

I think having to provide a credit report to a potential employer is illegal last I heard.

And if its not illegal it is absolutely horrendous abuse of power. If working people don't have jobs or don't earn enough when working to support themselves or their families, they are going to have debt, especially with our private healthcare system and the outrageous cost of tuition to get an education.

I even saw an ad for a carpenter's helper, "good credit rating a plus". What??? Do they intend to sell the potential hire a new truck or something? How does a credit report reflect one's ability to work?

Its outrageous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Ktalbert in Manchester, New Hampshire said: I think having to provide a credit report to a potential employer is illegal last I heard.

And if its not illegal it is absolutely horrendous abuse of power. If working people don't have jobs or don't earn enough when working to support themselves or their families, they are going to have debt, especially with our private healthcare system and the outrageous cost of tuition to get an education.

I even saw an ad for a carpenter's helper, "good credit rating a plus". What??? Do they intend to sell the potential hire a new truck or something? How does a credit report reflect one's ability to work?

Its outrageous.

Yeah...this happened to me; I have heard the same from a lot of people I recanted the situation to over the last few days...including the fact that I was required to spend $ for the Report was "illegal" as well.

Ktalbert, I know this sounds awful, but I actually am going to talk a lawyer friend of my fiancee's just to see if my rights were violated; primarily due to the fact that I didn't get the Job albeit the HR Rep indicated that I just had to get the Report over to Corporate, sealing the deal. I'm not the sue-happy type, but the fact that I was required to spend money out of my own pocket for them..it seems shady and illegal...I felt painted into a corner...like I had no choice over the matter. I could see being turned down if I had a muddy background or bad credit, but I don't....that's the "kicker" and that's why I'm under protest on this one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Janet in Woodland Hills, California

57 months ago

I've worked for Life Insurance companies that kept leaving the state so I've done a lot of interviewing. They allllll do credit reports which I think stinks. Also I did a phone interview with Time Warner about a month ago and they state they don't do credit checks except to see if your credit it good with them if you use Timer Warner Cable. I asked someone I know personally about the position I applied for and was told they never hired anybody at this point for the job they were advertising.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Janet in Woodland Hills, California said: I've worked for Life Insurance companies that kept leaving the state so I've done a lot of interviewing. They allllll do credit reports which I think stinks. Also I did a phone interview with Time Warner about a month ago and they state they don't do credit checks except to see if your credit it good with them if you use Timer Warner Cable. I asked someone I know personally about the position I applied for and was told they never hired anybody at this point for the job they were advertising.

I know, it's crazy. Well, I left a VM asking about the status of my Application, but I'm honestly not expecting to hear back. After all, I interviewed 10 days ago and filled out Paperwork for a Background Check 7 days ago. I was told to wait for a call Thursday with an Offer, and that fell through as well. I've done everything I can and am moving on. I am still going to talk with the lawyer to see if my Rights were violated, however.

In July, Legislation will pass that will block Employers from using Credit History to determine whether or not someone is "hirable" or not. So, relief is coming!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Erin - Even if they block employers from using Credit History once they have our ss# they can check it anyways but not admit that we didn't get the job because of it. As it currently is they don't bother to call back saying you don't have the job much less the reason why. I just don't trust anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Hey, I with you on that, there's no need to preface "it may seem awful" because there is nothing awful about exercising the justice system to secure your rights or seek remedy when they are violated.

Not only are you putting the constitution to use that makes this country exceptional but you are also forging ground to help stop this practice.

When no one complains or takes action where their rights are violated, we all lose.

I say good for you and good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

<em>state they don't do credit checks except to see if your credit it good with them if you use Timer Warner Cable.</em>

Almost sounds like all they are doing is trolling to find people who owe them so they can get new address/phone information and sick their collections department on them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Is that in state or federal? I was under the impression that this practice is already illegal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Its the same with any other discrimination -- just try and prove it even when you have a distinct 'feeling'.

I've been in interviews (I work in the carpentry trade)where I've been asked, "So, do you think you can handle all that heavy lifting all day?" To which I usually respond, "You wanna meet me at the gym?"

Or the best I ever got, "We don't hire women because its too much of a distraction on the job for the guys if you know what I mean."

I didn't even bother to respond to this BS, but again, what am I going to do? Expect that the already overloaded EEOC is going to listen to me whine about how I didn't get hired?

And their response will probably be, 'yeah get in line behind the people who've lost their jobs or real money because of discrimination."

There is no winning when you up against discrimination.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Ktalbert in Manchester, New Hampshire said: Is that in state or federal? I was under the impression that this practice is already illegal.

I heard Federal. I'll research it more. I know that I am just another "Statistic", that what happened to me is just another continuing "example" of how "farked-up" Employers have become in their Treatment of Applicants, my situation took it a step further in the fact that I was "pressed" to provide a Report using my own $$$...hence me speaking to a Lawyer soon. I should NOT have been told that all I "had" to do was provide Proof for my potential Boss by the HR Rep...that was shady AND illegal, I am sure, since it came out-of-pocket from me personally.

:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Ktalbert in Manchester, New Hampshire said: Its the same with any other discrimination -- just try and prove it even when you have a distinct 'feeling'.

I've been in interviews (I work in the carpentry trade)where I've been asked, "So, do you think you can handle all that heavy lifting all day?" To which I usually respond, "You wanna meet me at the gym?"

Or the best I ever got, "We don't hire women because its too much of a distraction on the job for the guys if you know what I mean."

I didn't even bother to respond to this BS, but again, what am I going to do? Expect that the already overloaded EEOC is going to listen to me whine about how I didn't get hired?

And their response will probably be, 'yeah get in line behind the people who've lost their jobs or real money because of discrimination."

There is no winning when you up against discrimination.

I know....I am just going to look into my options to protest such behavior.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

GO for it absolutely!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marina128 in Port Washington, Wisconsin

57 months ago

You can get a free credit report at

www.annualcreditreport.com

You can get 1 from each of the 3 major companies

Equifax, Trans Union & Experian

You are allowed 1 from each every year. Say you request one from Equifax today and in 4 months you can get one from Trans Union and later in the year again from Experian. You can do it online and print out the reports and show it to your potential employers. But when I have had a background check done, I signed the papers and the employers paid for the background and drug testing. Will they reimburse you for the report?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

The real issue is why should people be forced to turn over such personal information that really doesn't have any relevance to a person's character? The stereotype that people who have debt are lazy bums is just BS and could effectively shut out an entire block of hard working people from ever moving forward economically.

That's why its illegal or if not, will be soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Marina128 in Port Washington, Wisconsin said: You can get a free credit report at

www.annualcreditreport.com

You can get 1 from each of the 3 major companies

Equifax, Trans Union & Experian

You are allowed 1 from each every year. Say you request one from Equifax today and in 4 months you can get one from Trans Union and later in the year again from Experian. You can do it online and print out the reports and show it to your potential employers. But when I have had a background check done, I signed the papers and the employers paid for the background and drug testing. Will they reimburse you for the report?

Actually, I "have" an Experian Account. I don't have the Upgraded Version so I still had to pay 24.99 for the Report which I sent them via PDF. And NO; they are NOT going to reimburse me for the Report! That's why I am going to talk to a Lawyer!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Erin Myers in Reseda, California said: Actually, I "have" an Experian Account. I don't have the Upgraded Version so I still had to pay 24.99 for the Report which I sent them via PDF. And NO; they are NOT going to reimburse me for the Report! That's why I am going to talk to a Lawyer!

Oh, joy: Guess what came in the Mail today: My Credit Report from Trans Union, with NO Credit Score. It will just add to the Paper-Trail...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Time Warner a month ago did a phone interview with me. Today they sent me an email asking me the same questions. They had me send the answers back in blue type. Do you think a person is looking at those answers or it's going through an automation process?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.