Frustrated Job Seeker's Rant -- Feel Free to Add Your Thoughts

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14651 to 14700 of 30730)
Page:  « First « Previous   291  292  293  294  295  296  297  Next »   Last »

jobseeker in Bethesda, Maryland

24 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: With my political views in such obvious conflict with the majority of this state, I do, indeed, feel powerless to change anything. So, yes, I say things are not the way I want, but my energies really should be elsewhere. The majority of folks I know have similar views as I do. Those who don't have no desire to see things change. There are other things I should be worrying about changing before other people's minds on politics. I am not nor do I want to be an activist. It would appear you would do much better at that than I. So, I am quite content to leave the battles up to those who wish to fight.

John, there is a State just across Potomac river (VA) which is on the other end of political spectrum. If political climate here is too stiffing to you have you thought of moving there?
That State, btw, has lower UE rate than MD (around 5% vs 7.1% in MD as of May 2013).

I don't want to say that I like what MD has come to lately, but I still think the level of tolerance here for various opinions is much higher (in case if you don't share the views of dominating party) than if you went to VA and dared to speak your mind in slightest disagreement of what Politburo over there endorsed.

Lastly, I don't suggest 300 million people or even majority of voting population to become a political activist. Since when voting and using a grey matter in your skull to comprehend issues and know who you vote for is equated with "activism"?
I simply say that everything is in the hands of the voters who should take their civic responsibility seriously and thoughtfully. Or else don't complain of the outcomes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

24 months ago

I mean absolutely no offense, but what I mean by "activism" in this case is that your primary topic by far has been politics. That is a form of activism. Generally, there are other concerns and topics people like to talk about here other than that sole thing.

Yes, I have noticed the various comments people have made along the lines of "there are more appropriate boards to discuss things like politics". I am also more than ready to move on from having politics being the sole point of discussion here as well.

My brother used to live in VA and was generally not impressed though he is less impressed with where he now lives. Any potential moves on my part are complicated by "owning" a house number one. Two, unless I moved in with family, there would likely not be a place I could live other than the street. From what I've heard, apartment complexes now like to do credit checks (perhaps they always have, I don't remember). Without an income, I would not be able to rent or buy a house.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: I mean absolutely no offense, but ..

1.This thread is called "Frustrated Job Seekers Rant", does not carry specific subject title except that it is supposed to be a place where people who look for jobs "rant"

2. Political speech, under First Amendment , is one of the specifically protected speeches (along with Satire) and , under our Constitution and form of government , is one which is rather encouraged (despite the popular belief to the contrary).

3. As I noted above, I did critically think and analyze current state of affairs. By all means I am not the lowest IQ person out there, my college professors, even here, have very high opinion of me and I know I am capable of doing tasks and jobs I apply for, yet no one even bothers to ask me for an interview. At the same time I look at DOL published labor participation rate (steeply declined since 01/2009 , in general decline since 2000) and I realize that this current economic situation is not normal for America (if DOL statistical trends since 60's to be relied). It seems to be, at least to a large degree, a result of failed political leadership in economics front.
Since root of the problem appears to be political failure (or result of policies that didn't work and failed economy) I think it is reasonable to discuss it.

4. Finally, I do not force you to participate in this discussion. I merely state that if you drop it as hot potato you lose grounds to complain of outcome.
I don't want to lose my grounds to be critical .Being consistent, I maintain discussion of the issue.

You are free not to participate. But you can't force me to make the same choice as you and also keep silent.

RE: Moving - Depending when(for how much) you bought your house in MD you could still sell it, use equity for moving expenses and may be do better in VA if you think you should move there, up to you of course. I just wish the best for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

I freely admit to my active involvement in discussions, I was only attempting to express my and others desire to perhaps move on from political discussions. Really, that was it, nothing else. I was not meaning to attack your integrity, critical thinking, or anything else.

Yes, free speech and all that, I am not here to argue your points. Yes, we are frustrated, whether it be about jobs (or lack thereof), politics, whatever.

In what way might I be able to express the desire to move along to another topic without offending anybody?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: I freely admit to my active involvement in discussions, I was only attempting to express my and others desire to perhaps move on from political discussions. Really, that was it, nothing else. I was not meaning to attack your integrity, critical thinking, or anything else.

Yes, free speech and all that, I am not here to argue your points. Yes, we are frustrated, whether it be about jobs (or lack thereof), politics, whatever.

In what way might I be able to express the desire to move along to another topic without offending anybody?

You have equal right not to participate in any debate and discussion and not to voice your opinion, just as I have mine to do the very opposite.

The best way to proceed (in instances where someone posts something you don't want to engage yourself in discussing) is to simply ignore such posts and not reply to the poster at all.

If you do so then no one can insist you act contrary to your will and force you to still be a part of a discussion.

Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

I will try to keep in mind that a "simple" change topic request is now considered "squelching free speech". (attempt at humor!)

Seriously though, I never said you "could not" talk about whatever you want to. And I am still responding for some reason. I guess it's a way for me to keep somewhat entertained for a few minutes......

24 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: I will try to keep in mind that a "simple" change topic request is now considered "squelching free speech". (attempt at humor!)

Seriously though, I never said you "could not" talk about whatever you want to. And I am still responding for some reason. I guess it's a way for me to keep somewhat entertained for a few minutes......

Why are you altering the meaning of what I wrote and allude to what is not there?

If you want to change the topic why would you even ask me about it?

As long as you are frustrated, looking for a job and want to impersonally "rant" to that effect you are free to post whatever you will (that's under indeed guidelines).

You may also choose to respond, make a joke, keep yourself entertained for few or any number of minutes , that's all up to you (and indeed admins).

But if reply to me and state something that sounds unreasonable to me then I will reply to you accordingly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

When someone responds to what I perceive as one thing and I get an "eyefull" of "I am free to say what I want, I have critical thought process" etc, that just came across as a tad much to me. I admit my participation. But I just don't get the aggressive response especially since I am not aware of an attack on my part.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: When someone responds to what I perceive as one thing and I get an "eyefull" of "I am free to say what I want, I have critical thought process" etc, that just came across as a tad much to me. I admit my participation. But I just don't get the aggressive response especially since I am not aware of an attack on my part.

This pretty much sums up all the back and forth that was there (I repost from my earlier reply)

[quote]Earlier you have expressed your agreement when I told you about many people not having clue about civic process, something which is their duty and what in effect decides their future.

You suggested then that the long working hours of modern generation are the probable cause for deteriorating civic participation and understanding.

My point is that, supposing your hypothesis is correct, then how come our earlier predecessors who had much longer work hours and much harder labor to do (working on farm is not the same as sitting behind the desk and tapping keys on a keyboard) , how come they weren't nearly as stupefied as we are and took active role in forming society and creating what came to be known as America?

I make no comment about your grass cutting challenges.[end quote]

Following this you keep replying to me yet you seem to be somewhat bothered by the fact that you keep doing so and you seem to ask me to allow you to not reply to me, to change the subject and what not.
I find such discourse as highly unreasonable.

It could be that you are merely trolling (as you admitted above, it's a way for you to keep 'somewhat entertained for few minutes'), but I have no way of knowing for sure so I respond likewise (I neither deny nor confirm that I troll you back).

Have a good one !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Thank you for that insight, honestly. Trolling was not my overt intent, I hope that would be more obvious. If I were to ask permission not to reply, it would be in a more direct fashion.

I honestly hope we can have discussions on other subject matters as we have in the recent past where we (yes, me too) leave the attacks out of the equation. I suspect you have some good "stuff" to offer on various topics when my mind is open.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: Thank you for that insight, honestly. Trolling was not my overt intent, I hope that would be more obvious. If I were to ask permission not to reply, it would be in a more direct fashion.

I honestly hope we can have discussions on other subject matters as we have in the recent past where we (yes, me too) leave the attacks out of the equation. I suspect you have some good "stuff" to offer on various topics when my mind is open.

No problems, John. Enjoy your weekend.

I will take a break for now, take my mind off this forum and thinking of jobs in general and spend some time with my family.

Looking forward to have constructive conversation with you in future (if and when you wish to participate).

All the best!

J Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York

24 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: Rant alert!

Well, back onto job stuff for a bit.... I cut my lawn this morning, has to be my absolute least favorite, thankless thing to do. Landscaping/ cutting lawns would not be a job I would or could do. I finished almost half an hour ago (small lawn at that) and I am Still sweating my ever-loving rear end off while sitting in a room I have at below 70 degrees.

If I could find out who invented this landscaping/ lawn cutting routine, I would bring him/ them back to life for the sole purpose of cutting the lawns of those of us who detest doing such things. I would make sure it would be hot (90+) and humid, provide no water, watch him/them suffer.

I like cutting the grass. I could do without the ticks though.

Do you have a self propelled mower?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Yes, self propelled mower. Haven't seen any ticks in my yard either. And for our Joe from NY, I would supply cold filtered water :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

J Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York

24 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: Yes, self propelled mower. Haven't seen any ticks in my yard either. And for our Joe from NY, I would supply cold filtered water :)

You sweat with a self propelled mower? C'mon.

Try cutting when your drunk on cheap beer. You will forget about the heat, being jobless,being laidless, and obnoxious neighbors.

Calfornian in Hayward, California

24 months ago

I'm a raving Liberal today. I voted for Whitman and the HP witch in 2010. I didn't vote for them because I like them, as you'll guess after a few more paragraphs, I simply felt we needed some kind of alternative to Democrats in this state and they, while terrible options, were that alterantive.

I'm a raving Liberal because everywhere I look the Republican party has gone batsh1t insane. For me it began with Iraq. I, actually, supported the war, conditionally, and was wrong. But, I watched a complete refusal to face up that and while maybe they didn't lie about some things they did lie about their intentions and the cost. I watched the GOP make decision after decision that was terrible. The climax during that period for me was what they did with Schaivo. Doing what they do to that couple, the way they did it, was amongst the grossest violations imaginable to me.

But it didn't stop there. Their arguments about taxes are wrong. Their economic theories are wrong. Their arguments that we need to cut government spending, right now, are wrong. The 47% number, while technically correct, is also wrong. And then it doesn't stop, Benghazi, IRS, guns, Issa is a fool. Hell, their VP candidate is such a liar that he shaved an hour off his marathon time because, well, he lies about everything, why not that too.

And they never stop. Every issue is political, every disagreement is met with an insult.

And you know what? They're dead as a relevant party. DEAD! In California the GOP did what they are doing at the national level. They gerrymandered the districts (with Democrats help), allowing them a small voice, which was NO, always NO, and one day the state had enough and created a redistricting commission that didn't involve the parties. And when you've alienated, women, Latinos, Blacks, Asians, youth and sane whites, there's not much left.

Today they have no voice in this state. And if they don't change, it'll happen at the national level.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Better.luck.next.time in Glens Falls, New York

24 months ago

Another viable party needs to emerge. The GOP seems hellbent on suicide.

24 months ago

J Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York said: You sweat with a self propelled mower? C'mon.

Try cutting when your drunk on cheap beer. You will forget about the heat, being jobless,being laidless, and obnoxious neighbors.

Here in the merry land of MD, if one has a pulse, that one will sweat like in a sauna when outside in the summer. Actually a sauna has nothing on MD humidity and heat..... probably be more comfortable.

Alia C in London, United Kingdom

24 months ago

The UK has a heatwave at the moment and everyone's making the most of it, because you never know what will happen next with the Great British weather :)

Alia C in London, United Kingdom

24 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Alia, I hope you too can find some help with the depression. For me, it was a low dose of anti-depressant and it was the difference between night and day. I didn't seek talk therapy since I tend to be pretty in touch with my emotions and have a pretty good network of people in my personal life to talk to. But my genetics proved that I couldn't will myself out of my funk and I finally sought out my family doctor. I hope this can make a difference for you too!

Thanks you UU!

I was the same; in a miserable funk, and couldn't get out of it. That's when I decided to talk to my doctor. But the thing is, I also have other health issues going on at the moment, so it's a case where the doctor needs to look into this properly o_O

24 months ago

An interesting article titled "No hope on jobs front".

Before copying the link below, DELETE THE SPACES BETWEEN NUMBERS (indeed software doesn't allow to post numbers in uninterrupted sequence).

www.globalresearch.ca/no-hope-on-the-jobs-front-rising-unemployment-in-america/5 3 4 1 8 0 8

To be fair, I will add that this is not the problem that affects only US.
It is a new business model that seems to be geared towards 'hack and sack today and let tomorrow worry for tomorrow'.

What makes me optimistic is that as any engine requires fuel, any economic enterprise requires demand, productivity and growth to sustain in the long run. The 'hack and sack today' concept doesn't put any fuel to run the engine tomorrow but uses all the reserves today. Since there is no Perpetuum Mobile, sooner or later this model will fail.

In the meantime, I think it's useful to have as many people as clearly understanding the picture as possible.

The link posted above provides one of many pieces of the puzzle and at least partially explains our current economic impasse.

back to work in San Antonio, Texas

24 months ago

I have been laid off several times in my career. Fortunately I have a unique job that is in need all over the country and I am single so I can move to where the work is.

This last time I was out of work, I was out for 4 months. I got back to work by being willing to move to the job instead of waiting for a job in my area.

I realize that not everyone can move like I can because they own a house or family issues or don't have the money to move. (luckily my employers pay for moving expenses).

So if you can move to get back to work or find a better job....I highly recommend it.

They are hiring in Texas and the state is growing and has no state income tax.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Extremely Fed Up in Jupiter, Florida

24 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: Don't quit. Take the extra time you have to hit the pavement and find something with better pay and more hours. ;)

I think you said you work at Walgreens? Is that correct! :)

Yeah, that's right, I work at Walgreens. I've been there for the past two and a half years, hoping that something better would come, but that hasn't happened.

24 months ago

Better.luck.next.time in Glens Falls, New York said: Another viable party needs to emerge. The GOP seems hellbent on suicide.

It's survivor bias. Piss off all kinds of people and pretty soon the only one's left are the one's who think like you do. Then you sit around with them and complain about the liberal media and scientists, socialists, the lazy and everyone else that isn't you.

Texas right now, with the abortion debacle, is the gift that will never stop giving at the national level. Every Republican in California should have come out against it if they want to matter as a party but nary a peep because all the RINO's are gone and only the pure bloods remain.

24 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: It's survivor bias. Piss off all kinds of people and pretty soon the only one's left are the one's who think like you do. Then you sit around with them and complain about the liberal media and scientists, socialists, the lazy and everyone else that isn't you.

Texas right now, with the abortion debacle, is the gift that will never stop giving at the national level. Every Republican in California should have come out against it if they want to matter as a party but nary a peep because all the RINO's are gone and only the pure bloods remain.

Don't you think that DINO's are currently working extremely hard to discredit the Dem party by the next election, to the point that people would vote for Godzilla just to make sure there are no more Dems anywhere?

Republicans got rid of RINO's. All the while DINO's got rid of Democrats.

So, next elections will be between pure blood Republicans and DINO's.
Methinks desperate electorate , tired of DINO's, will go for Republicans.
Which will add years of further inaction, Hoover style.

P.S. The verbal definitions can be deceptive and I use words according to current meaning of the same. Come to think of it, Republicans, as we have come to accept them lately, are nothing like what they were in 80's. Reagan would be impeached and lynched as a RINO if he was in the office today. And Reagan Republicans were nothing like Eisenhower Republicans. And latter had not much to do with Lincoln Republicans.
Same could be said of Democrats. Who would think that there would be Southern Strategy of Nixon and many of those who loathed Republican party would be the banner holders and most vehement supporters on the ground of what has come to be perceived as a "pure blooded" Republican party. What an irony ! :D

24 months ago

I think today that the Democrats are the much saner party. We tend, because we want to be fair, to lump the Democrats as extreme, just in a different way, and sure, they have their guys, but the party, and most of it's platform is pretty mainstream these days, at least in my opinion.

Now, at the state level, especially in California, I would, almost, agree. The problem is that guys like Newsom, Brown, etc. aren't radical Liberal by classic standards. They are just made out to be Satan because of where our politics have shifted to.

None of that should be taken as an endorsement of the California Democratic party. I think they need to go, in the worst way, but absent changes by the GOP it's not going to happen.

24 months ago

@Californian

The greatest ironies of all, of course, is the fact that USA is founded on Liberal principles and the founders were Liberals in the strongest meaning of the word.
If you are not Liberal you are in effect against the founding principles , against what the USA is based on.

I wonder what exactly meant when people use word "Liberal" today (which, I perceive, is some sort of a curse word shunned by many as a plague, a contamination).

Is it possible that what is described as Liberal today is not actually Liberal but is a straw man designed to discredit what true Liberal principles stand for?

How is it even conscionable that in a country built on Liberal principles and Constitution, many are ashamed and apprehensive of being associated with anything remotely perceived as Liberal?

Some things are just surreal....

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

24 months ago

Both parties are equally insane and anyone who wants to run under one of them has no interest in making a difference, but wants the power. The whole system is f'ed up beyond repair.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

24 months ago

jobseeker in Bethesda, Maryland said: @Californian

The greatest ironies of all, of course, is the fact that USA is founded on Liberal principles and the founders were Liberals in the strongest meaning of the word.
If you are not Liberal you are in effect against the founding principles , against what the USA is based on.

I wonder what exactly meant when people use word "Liberal" today (which, I perceive, is some sort of a curse word shunned by many as a plague, a contamination).

Is it possible that what is described as Liberal today is not actually Liberal but is a straw man designed to discredit what true Liberal principles stand for?

How is it even conscionable that in a country built on Liberal principles and Constitution, many are ashamed and apprehensive of being associated with anything remotely perceived as Liberal?

Some things are just surreal....

A liberal is an anarchist with a wife, two kids and a mortgage. Heh!

24 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: Both parties are equally insane and anyone who wants to run under one of them has no interest in making a difference, but wants the power. The whole system is f'ed up beyond repair.

Up until the end of the Clinton admin at least one party (Democrats) wanted something for the common good, for the country besides the power for themselves.

But after Clinton it seems as if Dems said "Down with it, we will just be like Republicans from now on, we will sell our souls to the highest bidder and Devil may care about the country and its' future!"

Sad reality.

24 months ago

I don't like any party or politician that is radical or extreme. It is because all parties are becoming extreme that we no longer get along and so many people are out of work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

back to work in San Antonio, Texas said: I don't like any party or politician that is radical or extreme. It is because all parties are becoming extreme that we no longer get along and so many people are out of work.

What I see as pure blood "Republicans" today is indeed extreme. As I mentioned earlier, if Reagan was in office today they would brand him RINO and more forcefully demand his impeachment than they did Clinton in 90's.

On "Democratic" end, when people speak of "extremes" I wonder who or what exactly do they refer to and what is the platform/ideas/goals of such a Democratic party member who is an "extremist"?
For all I can see, Democrats are running to the right in an endless race to outdo Republicans, just so they can get their turn polishing their pants on chairs (look at current job market, trillions of dollars wasted in bail out of huge companies and so on).

24 months ago

the founding fathers were as conservative as they come.....most liberals do not believe in god.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

back to work in San Antonio, Texas said: the founding fathers were as conservative as they come.....most liberals do not believe in god.....

Dear btw in SA,

I knew someone who routinely responded to what you wrote with something along the lines of "Poor you, brainwashed meat for brains, fooled to believe lies because you didn't take trouble to study your own history!", but I realize that it would be offensive and serve no practical purpose. So, I will take a different road.

Instead of asserting the absurdity of your statement and turning it into a personal argument, I would want to hold to test your convictions and allow you to prove yourself correct.

For starters, assuming you are right and they were "conservatives", would you mind if I asked you to explain to me what in particular were they trying to "conserve"?
Was it British rule over colonies that they tried to conserve? Or was it Anglican Church they wished to preserve against Puritanism?
Also, what was it Jefferson wrote (and incorporated into US Constitution) about separation of Church and State? How "conservative" concept was that for the 18th century?

I don't want to go with more questions for now, let's just tackle these three first.

Respectfully,

Jobseeker in MD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

this will be my last comment on the subject.

One of the many definitions of conservative:

1. favouring the preservation of established customs, values, etc,

The colonies believed in tradition. They also believed in God as Christians and left Britain because Britain was taking their freedoms away.

They believed in god which is why "In God We Trust" is on our currency.

Separation of church and state was meant to be the State should not have rule over religious beliefs not the other way around.

I made a comment in this forum to discuss jobs and the lack of work in our country, not to have a political debate.

I will not respond again...ever

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

I guess I understand how Rick Perry gets elected.

24 months ago

Dear btw in SA,

Do you notice that you have not answered any of the simple questions I asked ?

FYI, "In God We Trust" was added to currency in 1950's, during Korean War , it wasn;t there before.
"E Pluribus Unum" was De Facto motto of US until then ( United States Congress passed an act (H. J. Resolution 396), adopting "In God We Trust" as the official motto in 1956). Notice:These are facts, I don't make them up, you can verify it on your own.

From we know they were Revolutionaries who broke up with traditions of Anglican Church, who were descendants of Puritans (fled England to get away from Anglican Church),who declared independence from British rule and who, on top of it, declared that man was free in his consciousness and exercise of faith and that to prevent bloody religious wars and strife's of past the Church would be separated from State.
Wouldn't calling THESE founders "conservative" do injustice to the word "conservatism" which has at its' root word "conserve"?
What exactly did they set out to conserve?

I understand if you do not respond again, it is more difficult to back up something than to merely repeat sound-bites and walk away when challenged to back it up.

All the best!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: I guess I understand how Rick Perry gets elected.

Yup :)

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

24 months ago

jobseeker, we're going to get you your own political forum. Kidding, I'm kidding. :D

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

24 months ago

Reading this article below makes me more depressed.

"America the Gutted: a global investigation of the disappearing middle class." They also mention a book called, "The Betrayal of the American Dream." Would be an interesting book, but I'd probably end up more depressed.

www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/business/121012/america-the-gutted-introduction

24 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: jobseeker, we're going to get you your own political forum. Kidding, I'm kidding. :D

Feel free to :D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

jobseeker in Bethesda, Maryland said: Feel free to :D

I suspect you would do well with a radio talk show. Ever consider that as a career move?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: I suspect you would do well with a radio talk show. Ever consider that as a career move?

The closest I have come to think of was to create a blog (not as career, but as an outlet, to do at least something while there is no economically productive work I can apply my skills to). But I would need at least few more people to debate with, otherwise I would lose motivation to keep posting about any subject.

Talk show would probably not be the right thing to do for someone like me. My arguments would often depend on reasonable discourse and lengthy logical constructs. I don't think you can run a radio talk show like that: there you have to speak sound bites, cut yourself every X number of minutes ,in the middle of discussion (to run ads, so you can get paid), and always dumb down your argument to attract the greatest number of audience (otherwise your air time is worth nothing, no one will run ad on you and you get out of business).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lostmyhope in Virginia

24 months ago

im ranting today after no justice was served for travon martin!!!! maybe most people dont give a sh*t but i am fed up! why should i be shocked that i cant get a job when its ok to gun down a innocent man!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Cibolo, Texas

24 months ago

Lostmyhope in Virginia said: im ranting today after no justice was served for travon martin!!!! maybe most people dont give a sh*t but i am fed up! why should i be shocked that i cant get a job when its ok to gun down a innocent man!!!!!!

I'm with you on that, Lost. I am certain those screams were those of the young Travon. And if an image showed him on top of Zimmerman, it was because Zimmerman had pulled a gun. Sadly, Zimmerman joins the OJ club...got away with murder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Lostmyhope in Virginia said: im ranting....

I would strongly suggest (by all means , just a suggestion) we keep racial controversy out of this "jobseeker rant" page unless it has direct relation to employment related themes.

My 2 cents: it is tragic that public seems incapable of considering criminal cases with color-blind eyes.

What happened in Florida? In Florida one man shot another at close range without any witness telling the jury exactly what happened. Shooting has resulted in death of the party being shot at. In Florida the Law says that you can use deadly force if you perceive threat of bodily harm (not threat to life , but mere threat of bodily harm, a lot lesser threshold). The party that used weapon (defendant) had shown photographs that show bodily harm inflicted (bloody scratches/scars on back of head, broken nose) and defendant claimed that he feared of more bodily harm.
There was no direct witness at the scene to credibly challenge the accuracy of defendant's testimony.
Prosecution failed to produce credible evidence that could convince jury beyond reasonable doubt that defendant murdered the victim out of ill will, malice or other illegal cause, without threat of harm.

Jury, based on FL law (which allows the use of deadly force if threat of bodily injury exists) and based on lack of credible evidence on part of Prosecution to challenge the testimony of defendant, found latter not guilty of crime as charged.

If you think the law is bad you may share your point of view and articulate it , but you can't blame justice/court for carrying it out.
If court acted against the law then such arguments would have basis, but as far as any reasonable person can see the court merely executed the letter of law (acting otherwise would be to break the law).

The debate (whether deadly force @ threat of bod.harm is justified) should be carried out without mixing race into it. IMHO.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Cibolo, Texas said: I'm with you on that, Lost. I am certain those screams were those of the young Travon. And if an image showed him on top of Zimmerman, it was because Zimmerman had pulled a gun. Sadly, Zimmerman joins the OJ club...got away with murder.

In OJ case prosecution failed to produce credible evidence that would convince jury beyond reasonable doubt that OJ was guilty of crime as charged. Evidence against OJ was circumstantial (driver saw his Bronco parked in front of house then seen him coming out of house and all this, allegedly, happened within 10-20 minutes of when the slaying could have taken place, with victims being at approximately same driving distance etc.).
The DNA evidence was contaminated in lab and controversy was raised about bloody sock that, while found in bedroom, didn't seem to leave any trace at all anywhere else (as if it flew inside his bedroom out of nowhere), plus it was soaked in circles and drained on both sides at the exact same radius (somewhat impossible , since the foot in between would have to prevent such); plus the "if it doesn't fit must acquit" argument by defense, all this added up to jury not being convinced beyond reasonable doubt that OJ was guilty as charged. It may be that he did it, but it is also not ruled out that he didn't. The way our justice system works is that before one is sentenced for crime his or her guilt must be proven beyond reasonable doubt.

It is appalling how public gets divided across racial lines when any criminal case gets publicized (where victim and alleged perpetrator are of different race).

Look at facts of case, evidence and judge based on it and the existing law. The color of parties involved is irrelevant !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lostmyhope in Virginia

24 months ago

jobseeker in Bethesda, Maryland said: I would strongly suggest (by all means , just a suggestion) we keep racial controversy out of this "jobseeker rant" page unless it has direct relation to employment related themes.

My 2 cents: it is tragic that public seems incapable of considering criminal cases with color-blind eyes.

The debate (whether deadly force @ threat of bod.harm is justified) should be carried out without mixing race into it. IMHO.

why???? you have no problem ranting endlessly about politics. do you run this page???? not going to even start something. i just hurt for so many reasons and america needs to wake up!!!! i am not starting a race war. that has been going on long before i ever came into this fuc@ed up world. my 2 cents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lostmyhope in Virginia

24 months ago

jobseeker in Bethesda, Maryland said: In OJ case prosecution failed to produce credible evidence that would convince jury beyond reasonable doubt that OJ was guilty of crime as charged. Evidence against OJ was circumstantial (driver saw his Bronco parked in front of house then seen him coming out of house and all this, allegedly, happened within 10-20 minutes of when the slaying could have taken place, with victims being at approximately same driving distance etc.).
The DNA evidence was contaminated in lab and controversy was raised about bloody sock that, while found in bedroom, didn't seem to leave any trace at all anywhere else (as if it flew inside his bedroom out of nowhere), plus it was soaked in circles and drained on both sides at the exact same radius (somewhat impossible , since the foot in between would have to prevent such); plus the "if it doesn't fit must acquit" argument by defense, all this added up to jury not being convinced beyond reasonable doubt that OJ was guilty as charged. It may be that he did it, but it is also not ruled out that he didn't. The way our justice system works is that before one is sentenced for crime his or her guilt must be proven beyond reasonable doubt.

It is appalling how public gets divided across racial lines when any criminal case gets publicized (where victim and alleged perpetrator are of different race).

Look at facts of case, evidence and judge based on it and the existing law. The color of parties involved is irrelevant !

just so you dont assume nothin i did not think oj was innocent either. im done. i have no more to say about race cause no one wants to hear it any way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Lostmyhope in Virginia said: why???? you have no problem ranting endlessly about politics. do you run this page???? not going to even start something. i just hurt for so many reasons and america needs to wake up!!!! i am not starting a race war. that has been going on long before i ever came into this fuc@ed up world. my 2 cents.

I suggested (and added in parentheses "just a suggestion"), I did not in any way imply that I own this board or that you should not post whatever you will (I don't work for indeed admin and it's not my business).

My suggestion to keep the controversial, mixed race involving story was based on my understanding that neither party (Travon or Zimmerman) was acting in the context of looking for a job or looking hire someone. If Zimmerman shot Travon during the interview and it was alleged that Travon started to beat Zimmeerman for refusing to hire him (or vice versa), then it would be relevant to this thread story. IMHO.

When I bring politics to this thread, I bring it in the context of it being relevant to current job market conditions, not out of arbitrary desire to mix it in the thread.

But as I said above and earlier, this was just a suggestion to you and, since I don;t run indeed, in no way it was meant to imply that I own this board or that you should categorically desist posting whatever you will.

Best!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Lostmyhope in Virginia said: just so you dont assume nothin i did not think oj was innocent either. im done. i have no more to say about race cause no one wants to hear it any way.

I actually read about his case (I do a lot of reading and occasionally I do some research on highly publicized criminal cases) and came to conclusion that there was not direct credible evidence to convict OJ as charged, but there was circumstantial evidence pointing that he may have been guilty.
I do not think is is innocent, nor do I think he is guilty: I simply can't know it based on what was published (and known to jury) about the case.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   291  292  293  294  295  296  297  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.