Frustrated Job Seeker's Rant -- Feel Free to Add Your Thoughts

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 32896)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

searching in Arlington Heights, Illinois

75 months ago

Erin Myers in Reseda, California said: Okay, so here's a question for everyone...which Offer would you take, Company #1 or Company #2?:

1. Company #1: No Benefits (at all; NONE), 1 week's Unpaid Vacation. 10k "more" per Year than Company #2. Promised Offer Letter to be sent w/in 2 days to me, Offer Letter still not sent. Ongoing issues with me already due to not calling/following up when they should/keeping their Word.

2. Company #2: FULL Benefits, everything from Credit Union to Disability, 401k, Tuition Reimbursement, Gym Discount. 10k less than Company #1. HR already contacted me to get the ball rolling/paperwork, has given me a timeline on when everything would be good to go/expect to "start".

Which one would YOU choose? Does $ trump Benefits?

Write it all out. Do you know specifically what it would cost you to purchase all the insurance on your own? Factor in premium increases over time. How much premium will #2 pay for each coverage? Does the 401(k) come with any match? Do you plan on seeking any education? Once you have the numbers in front of you it will probably be clear that #2 is the better offer in terms of overall compensation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Erin Myers in Reseda, California

75 months ago

Janet in North Hollywood, California said: Company #2. They already definitely gave you an offer where #1 one said they would call you. A bird in the hand is better than a bird in the bush.

*Nods* I'm heading there as well. It hurts to be making less (Ego) but in reality, there's a better payoff here. :)

Any News from Time Warner, janet?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

searching in Arlington Heights, Illinois said: Write it all out. Do you know specifically what it would cost you to purchase all the insurance on your own? Factor in premium increases over time. How much premium will #2 pay for each coverage? Does the 401(k) come with any match? Do you plan on seeking any education? Once you have the numbers in front of you it will probably be clear that #2 is the better offer in terms of overall compensation.

Yes, I do, and yes, #2 has full, 100% PPO benefits, 60% contribution to 401k , PTO, etc....I'm also going to pursue a Bachelor's, so Tuition Reimbursement is very important!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Janet in North Hollywood, California

75 months ago

No, I'm not holding my breath. I sent my last unemployment form in today. The end of next week I'll see if I can get an extension.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cinnesyn Caste in Villa Park, Illinois

75 months ago

After being unemployed for almost 2 years, I *FINALLY* found a temp-to-perm position. I was contacted by an agency who worked with me when they had positions I was qualified for and then never contacted me for months when they had nothing. Luckily, something came across their desk that I was perfect for and they called me. I had a 5 minute phone interview with the HR Mgr who realized I was perfect for the position and set up an interview with the department manager and her boss. My interview with them took under an hour but I knew it went well. They called the agency and the agency called me within an hour of the interview wanting to know if I could start THAT DAY. I did, and after 2.5 days on the job, I know we're a great fit. Anyway, I went on probably over 150 interviews. I did get a job during the 2 year drought but was fired due to having bad credit (duh, out of work for a long time usually means one would have money problems!). Anyway, now we won't lose our house and we will be able to pay back everyone we've borrowed money from to eat. OMG, pinch me, I am dreaming... Oh by the way, during that 2 year drought, I did manage to get my MBA. The agency asked me to not tell the client until after they make me an offer, thinking their client would think I was overqualified. Wait until they hear that they got an MBA for the price of just a BS... they're going to love me! LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cinnesyn Caste in Villa Park, Illinois

75 months ago

Oh, I just realized it sounds like I'm bragging (well, I am, a little).

My point is:

The economy is getting better! The jobs are coming back. I know the frustration of the whole job search thing but I think we are turning a corner, so chins up, it will happen for you too!

When I got home from work my first day at my new temp-to-perm position, I had TWO messages on the answering machine from people wanting to set up interviews. I hadn't had 2 interviews in 3 months in the past and now in a span of 1 day, I had 3 possible interviews. Anyway, I called both back and declined so I know there's at least 2 companies out there hiring!

Good luck, and use the forums to vent on, don't vent to potential employers. Always be positive, no matter what!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

searching in Arlington Heights, Illinois

75 months ago

Cinnesyn Caste in Villa Park, Illinois said: Anyway, I went on probably over 150 interviews.

How the h-e double chopsticks did you get 150 interviews! What industry are we talking about?

I wish I could be as optimistic as you are about jobs coming back, but all the data shows that isn't likely to happen any time soon. Think about this... to return to 6% unemployment (which is still a little high by previous standards) there needs to be more than 6,000,000 new jobs. The number of long-term unemployed (6.5 million) increased by 414,000 in March, while the number of new non-census taker jobs only increased by 123,000.

Merds in Jefferson, Maryland

75 months ago

MiraclePlease in Commerce, Georgia said: Yeah and that place is in the very depths of hell. But before they go to hell they sure will be a huge round of karma after them. So they will feel the pain not once, but twice.

No. When they die there will be a bloated application and interview process to get into heaven. they will spend 500 years waiting for an angel to interview them, another 300 years having to explain every single mistake they have ever made in life, and then will be showed around heaven in all of it's glory...only to be told later, "sorry, you just don't have the qualifications to be here." and THEN be booted straight into hell.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ody in Fremont, California

75 months ago

How is it that such incompetent people have cushy jobs while so many of us who are competent are unemployed?!

So I found this really vague ad on Indeed, for a "Supervisor, Corporate Services". I read the ad, and it didn't really elaborate other than the usual BS about needing a dynamic self starter blah blah blah, and "must have experience with corporate services". What kind of corporate services??? Legal? Photocopying? Facilities? So I go to the company's website, and AH! it's a recruiting agency in Florida! (the job is in california). I look in the "contact us" section, find the name that was mentioned in the ad, and send an email to the generic address listed by her name - asking (politely and professionally, of course) what the heck "corporate services" means. The email bounces! So I look for someone else in the company who actually has a personalized email address.. and send an email saying "I am trying to contact _____ because I have a couple questions about the Corporate Services position, but her email bounced for some reason. Can you please ask her to contact me?" So the next day I get an email saying "I understand you are interested in the corporate services position. Please answer the following questionairre and return with your resume." Apparently she didn't even READ my email because I obviously wasn't asking how to APPLY, I had no trouble spotting the APPLY button on the original ad. To top it off, the questionairre had the question "How many years of corporate services experience do you have?" DOH!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

janet in North Hollywood, California

75 months ago

Ody- I think it is in automation and no human ever saw it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Job Seeker in Methuen, Massachusetts

75 months ago

Persnifinue in Kennewick, Washington said: And Craigslist isn't? It seems that at least 90% of the "jobs" posted on Craigslist are bogus or downright scams. The other 10% genuine ones you never hear back from anyone.

My neighbor just started a job from Craigslist. She responded, was interviewed and offered a job in less than a week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

greatminds in Savannah, Georgia

75 months ago

Job Seeker in Methuen, Massachusetts said: My neighbor just started a job from Craigslist. She responded, was interviewed and offered a job in less than a week.

No one is saying that one cannot get a job from Craigslist. What is being said is that Craigslist is a breeding ground for scammers posing as employers. The amount of crooks posing as employers far outweighs people finding a legit job on Craigslist.

Mike in Seymour, Connecticut

75 months ago

I've been looking for work in my profession for 14 months after being laid-off. I've had 7 interviews most with second interviews and still nothing.

It's been my experience that doing online job searches and job-boards are totally useless. The only interviews I've gotten have been through friends and being crafty by calling companies and getting a conversation with the right person and that takes skill and lots of luck.

I personally feel many job-seekers are ushered in to interviews merely to keep HR people looking busy these days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

So how was everybody's Easter. Seeing people I haven't seen in the last year asking about my job search. I said I went for an interview last week but I don't think I did very well. So I'm grilled about what was asked and what was said by someone retired and not comprehending what's happening. My sister complaining that she has to support my nephew and his family because they aren't working. My being asked direct questions but when I want to say something they turn away as if I'm not there. At one point my sister had to come into the livingroom to separate me and her 70 yr old man friend as we were arguing about why people deserve health care no matter what their financial situation. I am not going to anymore family gatherings.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

greatminds in Savannah, Georgia

75 months ago

Yeah family can be just as cruel and nosy as anyone else. I feel that if they are not helping you in any shape or form, such as having a direct job lead, then they shouldn't say anything. A lot of times some family members will try and embarrass you in front of others and kick you when you are down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

searching in Northbrook, Illinois

75 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Not to mention headhunters posing as employers.

This is a great article about bad headhunter behavior: blog.nahurst.com/black-hat-recruiter-tactics

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Cinnesyn Caste in Villa Park, Illinois said: Oh, I just realized it sounds like I'm bragging (well, I am, a little).

My point is:

The economy is getting better! The jobs are coming back. I know the frustration of the whole job search thing but I think we are turning a corner, so chins up, it will happen for you too! When I got home from work my first day at my new temp-to-perm position, I had TWO messages on the answering machine from people wanting to set up interviews. Good luck, and use the forums to vent on, don't vent to potential employers. Always be positive, no matter what!

Can I just say something too? I mean, after struggling for about a Year, I hadn't gotten Interviews really until oh, 2 months ago, and now that I've decided to move forward with 1 of the 2 Companies that's "courting" me right now, I have had Recruiters contacting me from Job Sites that I am registered with wanting me to fill out applications/etc. I am STILL looking in-between starting my new Job over the next Week or so: Why? Because I want to make sure I'm not turning down ANY Opportunity...ANY. Keep your chin up guys, I think we're seeing an upward turn! I agree, things are opening up where 3 months ago there was NOBODY wanting to talk to me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Janet in North Hollywood, California said: So how was everybody's Easter. Seeing people I haven't seen in the last year asking about my job search. I said I went for an interview last week but I don't think I did very well. So I'm grilled about what was asked and what was said by someone retired and not comprehending what's happening. My sister complaining that she has to support my nephew and his family because they aren't working. My being asked direct questions but when I want to say something they turn away as if I'm not there. At one point my sister had to come into the livingroom to separate me and her 70 yr old man friend as we were arguing about why people deserve health care no matter what their financial situation. I am not going to anymore family gatherings.

LOL I also went to a family gathering yesterday and one of my relatives, who works for a large company, said that her employer sent out a mass email to all employees, basically advising that instead of complaining about their working conditions, that they should just be thankful that they have a job. She did not have any idea what had triggered this email but I can't believe an employer would have the audacity to send that sort of email.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

greatminds in Savannah, Georgia said: Yeah family can be just as cruel and nosy as anyone else. I feel that if they are not helping you in any shape or form, such as having a direct job lead, then they shouldn't say anything. A lot of times some family members will try and embarrass you in front of others and kick you when you are down.

My fiancee's family is the worst. I had to fight them for over a year to get them to STOP digging into my Life. They would always pry into my Schooling, my Work, talked about my weight...everything. So, I distanced myself and now they complain that I don't give two chits about them, but let me tell you, they caused the problems, not me. The moment I stopped working, BOY did they have a "field day" until THEY too, started struggling for $$$, fiancee's sister's hubby's Biz almost went down making them barely able to pay their Mortgage...lol....I say...:

Karma!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

ody in Fremont, California said: LOL I also went to a family gathering yesterday and one of my relatives, who works for a large company, said that her employer sent out a mass email to all employees, basically advising that instead of complaining about their working conditions, that they should just be thankful that they have a job. She did not have any idea what had triggered this email but I can't believe an employer would have the audacity to send that sort of email.

Easter, for those that "believe", is a "Resurrection Day Anniversary". Now HOW the frack would a "Thanksgiving Themed Email" be RELATIVE to Easter? Sheeze...*shakes head*

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MiraclePlease in Commerce, Georgia

75 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Not to mention headhunters posing as employers.

I just find it all sick. I stopped looking at Craigslist a while back. The ratio of scams to REAL jobs is 100:1. I think that headhunters that use tactics like this posing as employers should be slapped with a big fine or at least investigated. There are also there people preying on those unemployed and trying to steal their personal information to use for malicious purposes.

And Craigslist does NOTHING about it. They are aware of it but they can't get their heads out of their cabooses and come up with a solution. All they have done is come up with a page warning about the scams and that is it. I think they should start validating the so called employers that post there. It's not that complicated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Out to Pasture in Kansas City, Missouri

75 months ago

I have found the same thing to be true. I have applied for countless jobs, and I have had only ONE response and that was a letter stating that they hired someone who was a better "fit" for the job. I have to wonder what that means, when they never even met me!
I'm sorry, but the internet is a valuable tool, but it has completely taken out the human factor. Used to be you would mull over the classifieds, send you resume in, usually to a blind p.o. box, and someone would usually CALL you. Now, who knows where your emailed application goes. Probably into someone's spam folder, never to be seen again.
Showing my age here, but, sometimes the "old" way of doing things isn't so bad.
It's good to have a place to vent!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

MiraclePlease in Commerce, Georgia

75 months ago

400 people applied to one entry level position:

www.commercenewstoday.com/archives/3374-Bad-sign-400-seek-entry-level-job.html

That is the scope of what is happening and yet some just don't seem to grasp this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

yolie91762a in Upland, California

75 months ago

I can relate to all of the comments. I have been out of work as an customer service rep since Dec 2008. I have applied on the job search websites, edd, and I get some emails that would state "thanks for appliying you have a very impressive resume but we found someone who meets our requirements". Often that same job is again listed. Why can't employers tell the truth. I am still looking and one thing, if an employer ask during your interview what have been doing since you have been out of work and you tell them looking for work, we are not filling out applications, doing cover letters and emails because we are having a ball or we are lazy, we want a job and not to be receiving an unemployment check (for those who are still eligiable to receive one). Thanks for the form to express our comments.

kristiemonroe in Arnold, Missouri

75 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Continued from above.....

Since when was it the candidate's responsibility not to make a recruiter "look bad"? Where was the harm? All her law firm-client had to say was it had interviewed me - which it did. As the article stated, it is well known recruiters pump candidates for employer contacts to find out openings to push their services and other candidates at these employers.

I have had other recruiter experiences. My wife has had her experiences. We have enough recruiter experiences between us for me to know recruiters are a complete and utter waste of time, they are baloney and to never, ever deal with them.

I agree with you and I bet she used the places you named for her as perspective leads to become her client. The whole headhunting business is fishy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

kristiemonroe in Arnold, Missouri said: I agree with you and I bet she used the places you named for her as perspective leads to become her client. The whole headhunting business is fishy.

Never pay a Recruiter or Agency; they should be working for you and they usually get rather high %'s of the Yearly Salary they place you at..I should know, I've Recruited (Albeit I won't do it now in this Economy...all the people I know in the Industry are hurting badly).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kristiemonroe in Arnold, Missouri

75 months ago

Erin Myers in Reseda, California said: Never pay a Recruiter or Agency; they should be working for you and they usually get rather high %'s of the Yearly Salary they place you at..I should know, I've Recruited (Albeit I won't do it now in this Economy...all the people I know in the Industry are hurting badly).

Erin,
I apologize for my comment about the business being fishy. Sorry.
Kristie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

searching in Northbrook, Illinois

75 months ago

I was contacted today by a recruiter for a job that I saw posted just the other day with another recruiting firm. I don't know which firm is lying, but I doubt that "their client" engaged both firms. I just don't understand the point of these unscrupulous tactics. How do they benefit by lying about who they represent?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

so agreed in San Jose, California

75 months ago

Thanks for posting and sharing your frustrations.

I so hear you all. Now when I see the job openings, I double check on the company's career site to ensure that the opening still is valid.

Yes, pls. stop reposting the filled position!

To HR or Staffing people, pls. have a courtesy to have a tracking record of candidates you speak to.

I submitted my resume for a marketing manager position with this renowned medical company in Sunnyvale, CA. The internal staffing agent did not remember which position I was applying for when I called her call back to discuss.
Nor did she have my resume with her as she was trying to locate my resume.
After short discussion, I knew it did not go well, but I took the initiative to follow up. The answer was negative. So that was fine.
Then a week after she called me back to talk. She DID NOT remember that she even talked to me as I reminded her and how she told me the hiring manager was interested in other candidates.
Another lame chat. I never bothered to call her back to follow up.

Good luck to all job seekers! It only takes one job for us, so do not give up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

so agreed in San Jose, California said: Thanks for posting and sharing your frustrations.

I so hear you all. Now when I see the job openings, I double check on the company's career site to ensure that the opening still is valid.

Yes, pls. stop reposting the filled position!

To HR or Staffing people, pls. have a courtesy to have a tracking record of candidates you speak to.

I submitted my resume for a marketing manager position with this renowned medical company in Sunnyvale, CA. The internal staffing agent did not remember which position I was applying for when I called her call back to discuss.
Nor did she have my resume with her as she was trying to locate my resume.
After short discussion, I knew it did not go well, but I took the initiative to follow up. The answer was negative. So that was fine.
Then a week after she called me back to talk. She DID NOT remember that she even talked to me as I reminded her and how she told me the hiring manager was interested in other candidates.
Another lame chat. I never bothered to call her back to follow up.

Good luck to all job seekers! It only takes one job for us, so do not give up!

Hi, I am also in San Jose (I don't know why my location is stuck on Fremont in this forum lol) but I thought I would mention that Manpower in Fremont and Westaff in Fremont are about the only two agencies I have had good experiences with. The listings I responded to were real, I got interviews for them with the actual companies (quickly!), and the recruiters did not grill me for information, make me watch videos, or take skill tests. My only beef was that the lady at Manpower either didn't know or neglected to tell me that the position was swing shift so it was kind of a waste of my time to go to the interview, but I hadn't specifically said I could only work days, so I can forgive that.

75 months ago

You don't have to work overtime but since you obviously have no friends, family or life what else would you do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

laughing at you in Salt Lake City, Utah said: I love my job. I'm working 80 hours a week now, time and a half for overtime, and making more money than i ever hoped for. I enjoy checking these forums to laugh about the unskilled bottom of society begging companies for a job and free money for their lazy asses. YOUR TERRIBLE LIVES MAKE ME GIGGLE!

Hmm. If I was loving my job and working 80 hours a week, I don't think I'd come home and look at job boards... but then, that's just me. Congratulations on your great job, btw!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Persnifinue in Kennewick, Washington

75 months ago

Mike in Seymour, Connecticut said:
I personally feel many job-seekers are ushered in to interviews merely to keep HR people looking busy these days.

I agree. I just got called in to an "interview" that went like this: The person who was supposed to be interviewing me was on the phone for like 20 minutes. When they finally got off, I was given an application to fill out (again!) and sent on my way, with the assurance that I'd be called in at a later date if they were in fact interested.

What the heck?! Total waste of time!

75 months ago

You just made me realize something. I went into an interview with TWC and there were 3 people interviewing me. They were from a different department than the one I was interviewing for. One of the people wasn't even taking notes as his buddy asked him if he was ok. I was told to bring my resume which they said they didn't need but yet they didn't have it in front of them. They drilled me with what did you do when this happened in your past job. On the way out I commented that I knew the person who did the training. He seemed very surprised. When I was called to do the face to face they asked if I knew what the job entailed and I said yes, it was explained to me when they did the phone interview the month before. He had no idea a telephone interview was done and asked who called me and I told him he did. Time Warner Cable. OMG. I thought I blew it but maybe it didn't exist to begin with.

ody in Sunnyvale, California

75 months ago

Some good news (finally)

After being so fed up with job listings, I started googling companies in my industry and checking their career sections. One of them did not have any positions posted but did say they are always looking for talent, and invited contact from those who felt they had something to contribute.

I sent a brief email, stating my most recent position/company, and what I am looking for. I received a response within a couple hours, saying they would love to meet with me sometime next week, and asked for my resume. After receiving this email, I called my former manager (an industry veteran and also a very good friend of mine) and it turns out he has known the owner of this company for years. YAY!

I'm not sure that they actually have a current opening though, he may want to meet with me for future possibilities, but this is very encouraging.

Ah... now Indeed says I'm from Sunnyvale? It had been stuck on Fremont until now - which isn't my home city either. Does anyone know how to change this? I tried "change location" but it took me someplace to enter a profile. I don't know where it's getting these cities from lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

No need to apologize, the Business of Recruiting isn't "fishy", there are just some "fishy Recruiters" out there. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

TimeForChange in Jefferson, Georgia

75 months ago

ody in Fremont, California said: Hmm. If I was loving my job and working 80 hours a week, I don't think I'd come home and look at job boards... but then, that's just me. Congratulations on your great job, btw!

If I were working 80 hours a week I would be exhausted. I certainly wouldn't be concerned with coming online. I would be trying to get all the sleep I could, if I had the time.

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

75 months ago

Today (Thursday, April 8) is one of my rare frustrating days. I've been out of work since the beginning of February, and my need for employment is immediate. I called two different staffing agencies and as usual, they want to see your resume first before they'l even bring you in. One of them said that they don't want to waste your time or theirs. I am so frustrated about this that I have asked the managers of these agencies to call me back.

When I firs started working in the late 70's, I was able to walk in off the street, fill out an application, and it was kept on file no matter what. As far as staffing agencies go, up until about at least ten years ago, you could just simply call up a staffing agency, make an appointment, and go right in. Nowadays, they want to see your resume first. When I was out of work back in '99, I was so frustrated this one day that I asked two of these staffing agency, "Do you have to go by every single employment and company law, rule, and regulation there is?" One of them said "Yes in order to keep my job." The other one said, "Yes or else we can be sued."

I don't think staffing agencies care about the needs of the applicant. They care more about the needs of the client than that of the applicant.

Well I've got some news for these staffing agency recruiters. You should get down on your knees, pray, and just simply thank God that you have a job to go to every day. Try walking in our shoes just to see what it's like being without an income, and worrying about paying your rent or mortgage, utilities, food, clothing, transportation, medical care, and so forth. Try to see what it's like when you're being rejected by one company after another "because they found somebody who more met their needs". You just can't be flexible anymore. You have to go by "the book". Well the heck with the book! If you don't want to give somebody a chance, then you don't deserve my business!

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Oh and another thing! I want these staffing agency people; especially these young people in their 20's, to stop telling me what I have to do in today's job market and stop pushing it on me. I am 52 years old and I've been in the workforce for 33 of them.

Also, I am sick and tired of seeing health care pushed on me and being shoved down my throat! With me being out of work right now, I am being bombarded with these ads for these trade schools and telling me how the health care field is growing. I have no desire whatsoever to get into the medical field, so stop pushing it on me!

I used to be a hospital/nursing home food service worker, and I can no longer do that type of work. I have physical problems, and besides, my heart's just not in it anymore. So please don't tell me that I need to get into the medical field simply because it's in demand! The medical field is simply not for me!

I'm not taking my frustratiions out on you guys because I know what you're all going through. But it's the bureaucratic employer you-know-what that's making me mad, and it has to stop!

It's no wonder that many people today are starting their own businesses. They're sick and tired of the pratically impossible demands made on us by Corporate America!

I'm just having a bad day today, you guys. And like I said, I'm not taking it out on you. I'll soon get back to my normal self again, but I'm not playing around. I need a job and I need it now!

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ody in Sunnyvale, California

75 months ago

It is true that the agencies are only interested in satisfying the employer, since that is where they $$$ is coming from.

We need an agency that is applicant-based. This would mean that the applicant would have to pay a small percentage of their salary for a short time, but I'd be willing to do that since I'd know that the agency has to place me in order to get paid.

Plus, if the service were free to employers, alot of them would probably give up the agencies where they have to pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Janet in Van Nuys, California

75 months ago

This is just an FYI. I was laid off 2/09 and was told I had to reopen my claim 2/10. This I did and was denied because I didn't work in 2/09. My extension was ending this week and I didn't think I was going to get another one. I got my check today which said my extension was exhausted but that they were automatically giving me another one and there wasn't anything I needed to do. YAY!!!!! Although this is the really good news, I am still trying to change careers giving up on life insurance to be a nanny. I am 57 and tired of office b.s. Last night I interviewed for a nanny position and think I nailed it. The woman has to go back to work and she was interviewing for the intertainment industry. If she got then I got it. So we'll see.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Janet: I was in L.A. back in '83, and I remember how hard it was for me to get a good decent-paying job right there. I had knocked myself out by taking these business courses. When I got to L.A. and went to some of the staffing agencies, none of them would hire me because my typing was terrible at the time, and I didn't have any office experience. One place that I called that handles legal staffing asked me if I had any legal experience. I said no, and they couldn't help me.

I remember going into a furniture store in downtown Los Angeles to apply for a clerical position. The manager looked at my information and he said that he didn't have time to train anybody; he wanted somebody with experience. Plus I came across some job ads where they wanted local (L.A. area) references. At this one agency that I went to, the lady there said to me that Los Angeles is a transient city.

I knocked myself out to try and make a better life for myself: only to get shot down. Since I couldn't get an office job, I got into telemarketing, and of course, the rest is history. One of my telemarketing jobs was right there in Van Nuys at one of the subscription offices of the Los Angeles Times. Unfortunately, I quit after two weeks. In fact, I quit the other ones that I had here and went back to Philly for family reasons, and I've been back here ever since.

Good luck on your interview for that nanny job. I hope you get it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

ody in Fremont, California said: How is it that such incompetent people have cushy jobs while so many of us who are competent are unemployed?!

So I found this really vague ad on Indeed, for a "Supervisor, Corporate Services". I read the ad, and it didn't really elaborate other than the usual BS about needing a dynamic self starter blah blah blah, and "must have experience with corporate services". What kind of corporate services??? Legal? Photocopying? Facilities? So I go to the company's website, and AH! it's a recruiting agency in Florida! (the job is in california). I look in the "contact us" section, find the name that was mentioned in the ad, and send an email to the generic address listed by her name - asking (politely and professionally, of course) what the heck "corporate services" means. The email bounces! So I look for someone else in the company who actually has a personalized email address.. and send an email saying "I am trying to contact _____ because I have a couple questions about the Corporate Services position, but her email bounced for some reason. Can you please ask her to contact me?" So the next day I get an email saying "I understand you are interested in the corporate services position. Please answer the following questionairre and return with your resume." Apparently she didn't even READ my email because I obviously wasn't asking how to APPLY, I had no trouble spotting the APPLY button on the original ad. To top it off, the questionairre had the question "How many years of corporate services experience do you have?" DOH!

It's very strange. Why would a staffing agency in Florida advertise for a job in California? That's crazy. And if your emails bounced back, then there's something wrong here.

And you're right: Corporate Services is too vague. They should have been more specific.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Nanlisa, Thank you for your nice words. I type 90 words a minute but when I go into agencies and get tested I have panic attacks. I'm really good at my job but it doesn't exist anymore and I'm too old and tired to keep getting stressed out everytime I have to do a typing test especially when there is no job to begin with. I was born with a small tremmor but when stressed it is worse which doesn't help typing tests. When I meet people regarding their children I do really well and am totally comfortable. I think this is my true calling. I was a single mother and took jobs to support us not because I loved them but because I needed them. Now I reflect what do I really want. Do I need the stress of these jerks in the office. Hell no. I will work for me, where I want and when I want. YAY!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Fed up in Des Plaines, IL: I agree with you 100%. That's another thing that I have: when employers ask you what you did during the time that you were out of work. It's really none of their business! At first, I told them that I think that this question was way too personal, but then I was told that they have the legal right to ask that.

Employers today also want "job longevity". Well there's no such thing as "job longevity". Like I said earlier most of my jobs in the last 25 years have been in these outbound telemarketing service agencis and market research firms, and you only work when the work is there. It's not my fault that I've had to run around every few months putting in applications and resumes. I wanted to get a much steadier job, and whenever I applied for, and even interviewed, for one, they decide to "go with the candidates that are more suited to our needs."

People today are getting laid off left and right. A lot of them have families to support, rent, mortgages, food, clothing, transportation, utilities, and so forth. Unemployment doesn't last that long.

I also hate this "Don't call us: we'll call you." attitude that these companies have. If I apply for a job, I'd like to know whether or not I get it. At least have the courtesy to return my calls.

I would like to see an HR recruiter out of a job: worry about where their next meal is going to come from, worry about how they're going to pay the rent, and so forth. They should try walking in our shows just to see what it's like to be without a job! Stop going by "the book". Bend the rules a little bit.

If I could afford to, I would quit working altogether, but I can't. And I'm sick and tired of all the you-know-what! I need a job and I need it now! Stop playing these corporate games and listen to what the applicants have to say!

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

jamesradovich in Bellevue, Washington

75 months ago

Coordinating our efforts, skills, unique talents and abilities, combining all our resources we can create a entity 12.5 million strong. Think about this; even if we only had a $100 each to our name, multiplied by 12.5 million and deposited in financial institutions that would be 1.25 Billion USD. With that much money, we could start our own corporate entity, bigger than any in history. One that will dwarf all others, and if we all united globally, we could reshape the corporate and political world in our own image. If we stand united at that size; we will have both political and economic influence on policy. If we all listed what we have to offer one another, what we need, we will find that what is someone's huge problem can easily be resolved by another unemployed person, whose problem can be solved by someone else. If we only worked on an honor system, using barter and paying forward without greed nor looking to get more than we give. Helping each other so we don't have to reach out to employers. We can become a self sustaining economic and even a political entity if necessary that will have a lot more influence than any of us individually. Then together, we can start to offer the overburdened American tax-payer an alternative outside of the "normal socio-economic and political system."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

My daughter-in-law works at the company I was laid off from. She is in the shipping department but she is the only person in that dept so she is safe. When Unemployment said I had to request the reopen my claim in February they sent the paperwork to this company. The head of HR went to my daughter-in-law and said she couldn't believe I still wasn't working. I'm telling you the people with jobs have no clue what's going on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

75 months ago

Janet in Van Nuys, California said: I'm telling you the people with jobs have no clue what's going on.

Ain't that the truth! Sometimes they say the stupidest things without thinking about how it makes you feel.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

I have read this whole thread and I'm glad I'm not the only one going through constant BS. I was laid off for all of 2009. I got a job in Jan. 2010 and the day before my probation was done, they let me go. What's up with that? Everything was going good and no one seemed to have any problems with my work and all of a sudden they pull that. Even my coworker was very shocked about it.

I kept asking why they were getting rid of me and they gave some lame excuses that just didn't make sense. No one ever complained about my work the whole time I was there, or got mad or frustrated with me either. I wonder if they just didn't want to say they didn't need the extra help anymore, being that this was only a PT job. If they had a problem with my work, why wasn't they just tell me before that? It just doesn't make sense no matter how many times I've gone through it all in my head. It will probably always be a mystery to me.

So here I am back at square one again. This will be the 4th job lay off since 2002 for me. I'm have seen every job hunting frustration there is. Employers sure know how to play the games with us, whether it's with job hunting or while we work for them. I'm just tired of this constant merry go-round of job hunting, being laid off or working for crappy wage or only PT work. I spent thousands of dollars on a degree for this??

I'm thinking self employment is looking better every day. At least I'll be working towards my dream, not someone else's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Ahh, I feel better already getting some of that off my chest. Ranting can be good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.