Frustrated Job Seeker's Rant -- Feel Free to Add Your Thoughts

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 32998)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

Janet in Van Nuys, California

83 months ago

Designer Bee, The stupidest thing I ever heard was I called a student loan billing place and said I just lost my job and won't be able to make my payment. They asked me when I was going to start working again. I told her that was the stupidest thing anyone had ever said to me before and hung up.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

83 months ago

Isn't everyone supposed to know that? Just look into your crystal ball and you'll have the answer. :P

Reply - Report abuse

BeginAgain in Los Angeles, California

83 months ago

As far as Craigslist, I have decided to only forward my resume to those companies that reveal who they are by disclosing their company name and/or phone number. No more sending my resume to anonymous posters. If after going to the company's website I do not see the position listed, I simply pass.

Shortly after sending a series of resumes to some Craigslist office job postings, I got a series of obscene phone calls. When I asked the guy where he got my number, he was dumb enough to drop the name of Craigslist. He also referred to me by my full name (listed on my resume) not my commonly used nickname. Only after that incident did I begin to use more care to whom I send my resume. It is quite a personal document and you don't want just anyone knowing your home address, phone and cell numbers, and former employers.

As far as unemployment, I thank God (and the Obama administration) for these generous unemployment extensions. Without them, I would be an unemployed homeless person. I know I'm not alone.

Reply - Report abuse

BurnedoutRN in Atlanta, Georgia

83 months ago

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania said:
When I first started working in the late 70's, I was able to walk in off the street, fill out an application, and it was kept on file no matter what.

I remember those days very well. I had just graduated from technical school and did not even have my license yet (I was scheduled to take the Boards in another month). I walked into the Director of Nurses' office of a local community hospital, presented my certificate and proof that I had registered to take the licensing exam and was hired on the spot. Now, decades later as a professional nurse with experience in just about every area of nursing, I can't get the time of day from a prospective employer...let alone my foot in the door.

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said:
I kept asking why they were getting rid of me and they gave some lame excuses that just didn't make sense.

Same here. A former employer tried to justify my termination by giving me some bull(censored) that I had a "bad attitude". When I asked for specifics, they (surprisingly) couldn't come up with anything.

Bottom line is: If you work in an "At Will" State, employers are free to do whatever they want and get away with it--even if involves destroying careers in the process.

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Here I thought nurses were in such demand. I guess every industry is being affected. Yes, I know all about that nasty "at will" stuff. I've been laid off 4 times in the last 8 years. Companies really need to learn to lay off people more tactfully. Don't make up things just to lay someone off and thank the employee for all they've done for the company. I don't think I've ever gotten a thank you or a sorry we have to do this from any of them. They forget we are all human and have feelings. Those little words of kindness go a long way to soften the blow.

The last place I just laid off from could have just said they no longer needed me and I would have been ok with that. Instead they said all these things that weren't really true and only made me feel defensive and start asking more questions.

I found it odd that the manager was making sure I got my hours in the week of Good Friday so they had me staying later to work on before Friday. Then the same manager lets me go. The sudden change leaves me wondering.

I'm trying to not dwell on it and just keep positive and move on.

Reply - Report abuse

kristiemonroe in Arnold, Missouri

83 months ago

BeginAgain in Los Angeles, California said: As far as Craigslist, I have decided to only forward my resume to those companies that reveal who they are by disclosing their company name and/or phone number. No more sending my resume to anonymous posters. If after going to the company's website I do not see the position listed, I simply pass.

Shortly after sending a series of resumes to some Craigslist office job postings, I got a series of obscene phone calls. When I asked the guy where he got my number, he was dumb enough to drop the name of Craigslist. He also referred to me by my full name (listed on my resume) not my commonly used nickname. Only after that incident did I begin to use more care to whom I send my resume. It is quite a personal document and you don't want just anyone knowing your home address, phone and cell numbers, and former employers.

As far as unemployment, I thank God (and the Obama administration) for these generous unemployment extensions. Without them, I would be an unemployed homeless person. I know I'm not alone.

Also, you will get spammed by get rich quick emails if you post your resume on craigslist. I have yet to find any use but a good laugh for Craigslist. My favorite is the pet group. These people are heartless

Reply - Report abuse

kristiemonroe in Arnold, Missouri

83 months ago

Janet in Van Nuys, California said: My daughter-in-law works at the company I was laid off from. She is in the shipping department but she is the only person in that dept so she is safe. When Unemployment said I had to request the reopen my claim in February they sent the paperwork to this company. The head of HR went to my daughter-in-law and said she couldn't believe I still wasn't working. I'm telling you the people with jobs have no clue what's going on.

It is like these people don't watch the news, buy groceries or listen to the people around them. I can not tell you how many sad stories I have heard. Not to mention how many houses are forclosed on in our neighborhood. Never before have houses LOST value. Amazing. People better wake up because this economy is only going to get worse! Those with jobs better pay off their credit cards! (check out the new credit card laws. They can up your rate if you sneeze funny!) I am trusting in God to help us all. I am praying for all of those out of work and needing extra income. Please join by praying for this economy and our leaders! Never underestimate the power of prayer.

Reply - Report abuse

searching in Northbrook, Illinois

83 months ago

BeginAgain in Los Angeles, California said: Only after that incident did I begin to use more care to whom I send my resume. It is quite a personal document and you don't want just anyone knowing your home address, phone and cell numbers, and former employers.

You're absolutely right to be concerned. However, I wouldn't discount blind ads. I had two interviews come from blind ads with legitimate companies.

I modified a copy of my resume for Craigslist blind ads. I took off my address and phone number, listing only the metro area and state. I use only my first name and last name initial and use an email address I created only for this purpose. I replaced former employer names with the industry --- "Acme Printing Corporation" is replaced with "Printing and Publishing Company". I also removed the names of affiliations where it would be too easy for someone to obtain my information.

In the body of the emailed cover letter I tactfully explain that out of privacy concerns in responding to blind ads, some personal information has been removed from my resume, but I am happy to provide a full copy of my resume once we have established communication. (After I can verify they are legit).

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

BurnoutRN and what is interesting is everytime you turn on the computer they are pushing schooling for the heath care. All these people are going to school with promises of jobs and there aren't any. But remember the recession is over lol.

Reply - Report abuse

janet in Van Nuys, California

83 months ago

DesignerBee. What gets to me is when the employer says someone said this and this and this about you. It is a complete lie, they have not proof but they won't tell you who said it so you can defend yourself. In a court of law you can confront the person telling lies about you but not in the workplace.

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Designer bee, No matter what it hurts to be laid off. Even if you hate the job. Time will heal and you just have to look ahead. I have collecting unemployment for over a year now. My daughter-in-law works at the company I was laid off from and she is jealous. I suggest you take a good look at are you really happy doing what you were doing. You are in Health Care and there are a lot of people needing you in private situations where you can work for yourself. I went from working in an office to Nanny. Look at care.com and see if there is anything in there you might be interested in.

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Good tips on responding to blind ads in Craigslist. I never had much problems responding to ads, but when I posted in the section that I was looking for work, I got tons of spam. I did get a couple requests for my resume and someone that wanted design work done for various printed items. I wasn't looking to do freelance work at that time, but I might start looking into self employment now.

I don't really care for the word freelance. Self employment sounds more professional. Freelance sounds more like a hobby and sounds like you work for free or cheap. Lance is something you do to a boil.

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Janet: I think you have me mixed up with BurnedoutRN. I'm a graphic designer and not in the health field.

Reply - Report abuse

ody in Sunnyvale, California

83 months ago

So I just had an unexpected "phone interview", the guy called and said "Do you have a few minutes?" then I realized my phone was breaking up, I ended up doing this 20 minute interview while standing in my bathroom because that was the only place I could get a good signal. I guess it went ok though despite the initial "hello? are you there?" because I have an in-person interview on Monday :)

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Janet in Van Nuys, California said: BurnoutRN and what is interesting is everytime you turn on the computer they are pushing schooling for the heath care. All these people are going to school with promises of jobs and there aren't any. But remember the recession is over lol.

Yep. I remember having a discussion with a nursing manager about a decade ago, who complained that nursing schools "expected hospitals to train new graduates". I guess they've got their wish, now, for I am reading more and more where it is taking graduate nurses a year (or longer) to find work, because most health care facilities want "experienced only". Even experienced nurses (like me) are having trouble finding jobs. Unless you have EXACTLY everything a prospective employer wants, you might as well hang it up, for they are going OUT of their way to disqualify candidates from employment (sound familiar??).

The scary part is: These new graduates are being promised jobs, which, (for all practical purposes), no longer exist and are being saddled with thousands of dollars in school loan debt they have NO way of paying back. And, in many states, if you default on your school loan (the reason doesn't matter), you wind up having your license suspended.

Go figure.

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

I received my last unemployment check Thursday. They attached a note saying my extension was exhausted but they would give me another extension automatically and I wouldn't have to do anything. The next day I get the standard questionnaire form but it is only for 1 week and it does not have any of the financial information listed on top the way the others did. I am soooo confused. Has this happened to any of you????

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

I still don't even know if I'm going to get unemployment check. They said I didn't work enough hours, but they said they will check other options. Gosh, maybe I would have been better off staying unemployed the last time around.

I'll bet there's all kinds of jobs at the unemployment office since everyone is laid off.

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Anyone else love the advice about networking to help you find a job. I've done a ton of networking with everyone I can think of in the past. I've done Twitter and posted that I was looking on Facebook, but do you think your friends there will ever repost it for you to help you out? Never worked for me. As long as they have a job, they don't care about those looking.

Other times you get people telling you to take some job that has nothing to do with your skills.

Reply - Report abuse

searching in Northbrook, Illinois

83 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: As long as they have a job, they don't care about those looking.

So true. I have tons of connections with people I have helped before and only two bothered to be even minimality helpful. Most just ignore my polite requests to help me connect to hiring managers or to their friends employed at target companies. Nothing screams "I don't care" like silence.

Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

I've already told you guys that I've been working in the call centers on and off since 1983. However, when I was out of work from July to October of last year, I found very few telemarketing outfits and market research places. Back in the 1980's and for s part of the 90's, there were plenty of these firms. Now they're practically disappearing, and I know why: the Do-Not-Call list has practically put a lot of these telemarketing outfits out of business.

As far as market research goes, the ones that still exist are only hiring for nights and weekends. For example: on Saturday (April 10), I went to a market research firm in downtown Philadelphia. They were hiring for telephone interviewers and they held an information session. In other words, it was a group interview and testing session We all had to take three different tests: a reading, a math, and an attention-to-detail. You had to have a total score of 25 from all three tests before they offer you the job. Unfortunately, I only scored a 22 and they didn't hire me. But they said they'll be hiring again in June for a project starting up July and to reapply then. At least they had flexible scheduling. I told them that I couldn't stay until 11 o'clock at night because that was too late for me. The latest that I could work until is 9. So if I'm not working by June, I will try them again.

Today (Monday, April 12), I contacted another market research firm, but they were only hiring for nights and weekends. Their night shift was from 5:30 to 10:30. Saturday was from 10 to 5 and Sunday was from 12 to 5. They do not have flexible scheduling. You have to work the entire shift. I told them that 10:30 was just too late for me.

Reply - Report abuse

263 in Los Angeles, California

83 months ago

Persnifinue in Kennewick, Washington said: Amen to the posts here (except the spam)!

And might I add: stop being so picky about the length of time people have been out of work. There are many legitimate reasons why we may be unemployed! For me, I had to quit my job and take full-time care of a terminally ill parent for three years. I didn't choose to do it- I HAD to.

For others, it may be a child or spouse that needs help. Or they may just be laid off at no fault of their own. Have a heart!

My heart and soul are with you. I had to stop searching to take care of my wife who basically had emergency cervical spinal fusion at the neck and is gonna need therapy for months while my unemploymment runs out in May, and of course there is still my daughter to take care of.

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Continued From Previous Post.

On Friday (April 9), I contacted another market resaerch firm that has been constantly running ads for telephone interviewers on Craigslist. Every time they'd run these ads, I would email my resume over but they'd never got back tto me. I sent an email to both the President of the company and the Human Resources Director. Well I got a call back today from the HR Director and he doesn't have time to respond to everybody. He's retired and he only works there part-time. And besides, he was only hiring for full-time, and I needed part-time. But he said that he would contact me again if he ever hires for part-time.

I have looked at call center jobs in other industries as well. For example: last week,I saw another ad on Craigslist for a part-time telemarketing position with a company that does training seminars with CPA's. I emailed my resume over there, but so far, I haven't heard back from. I even contacted two other market research firms that I previously worked at. One of them said that they'll start contacting people for interviews this week.

Also last Monday (April 5), I went for an interview at Kelly Services for a part-time appointment-setting position, but the company wnnted somebody with a more of a sales background. Ten days before that, I went to another staffing agency, but the only inside sales job that they had was selling hoses.

A week before that (on Thursday, March 18), I went to another staffing agency for a part-time appointment setting position, and I had a second interview with the company. Unfortunately, I wasn't chosen.

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Continued.

What bothers me the most is that most of the jobs today are in the health care field. Even when I'm at home watching TV, I am constantly being bombarded with these trade school ads about how you can train for a job in the medical field and that you'll have a better life. Don't get me wrong now. I used to be a nursing home/hospital food service worker. I also recruited doctors for focus group discussions and sent them out samples of over-the-counter medicines. But I have no desire to go into the medical field. The medical field is simply not for me. I'll keep looking in the call centers. This is where my experience has been.

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Janet in Van Nuys, California said: Nanlisa, Thank you for your nice words. I type 90 words a minute but when I go into agencies and get tested I have panic attacks. I'm really good at my job but it doesn't exist anymore and I'm too old and tired to keep getting stressed out everytime I have to do a typing test especially when there is no job to begin with. I was born with a small tremmor but when stressed it is worse which doesn't help typing tests. When I meet people regarding their children I do really well and am totally comfortable. I think this is my true calling. I was a single mother and took jobs to support us not because I loved them but because I needed them. Now I reflect what do I really want. Do I need the stress of these jerks in the office. Hell no. I will work for me, where I want and when I want. YAY!!!!

Janet; Thank you for your comment as well. I hope you got that nanny job. If working with children is your calling, then being on the phone and communication with other people is mine.

Five years ago, I took up freelance writing; even though I've had opinion letters published in the newspapers for over 30 years. One of my essays, "The Other Side of the Sixties", won Honorable Mention in Byline Magazine. I also had some Green Acres trivia questions published in this farm magazine, and ahve nearly 300 articles published on Helium.com.

The writing's fine, but I need a seocnd income to help supplement my Social Security Disability. If I could afford to, I could stop working all together and just simply write, but I can't.

Reply - Report abuse

grimrepo in Canton, Georgia

83 months ago

MiraclePlease in Commerce, Georgia said: One other thing:

Stop holding little petty things against potential employees. There are many people with gaps in their employment due to personal and family reasons. Stop acting as if it is the end of the world that many people have gaps. There are things in life that cannot be controlled so stop making little remarks and grunts when someone has been out of work for LEGIT reasons. You never know when it CAN be you.

they are all hipocrits! they want you to take a job so you wont have any gap and then you should still be looking for a better job! when you find a better job you should quit the one you have and all the time that employer invested in training you for, but what if you quit their job after all the time they invested in you? they would be pissed but yet at the same time they support it just as long as it doesnt happen to them! the true unemployment in this country is at 20%! yes 20% according to the department of labor U-6! the media and the goverment report the U-3 which includes only people able to collect unemployment benefits! i feel everyones pain cause i had been looking for 2 years! i went back into business for myself! i hate corporate america and all their bull....! i wish everyone on this board the best of luck!

Reply - Report abuse

velaz in Schaumburg, Illinois

83 months ago

If it wasn't for the need for Employer Provided Health Insurance most people wouldn't have to deal with these corporations and the HR Departments. Having no health insurance will pretty much bankrupt an individual and have to be forced into working a dead end large corporate job with no real assurance of having any job security or pension. The days of working for a company for 30+ years and retiring with full pension and health care are over. Even your so called secured public sector jobs are not even safe with municipalities making job cuts left and right.

Reply - Report abuse

cna30 in tyler, Texas

83 months ago

I had a job interview on Monday for a clerical position at a small business. The interview couldn't have went any better. They showed me everything I would be doing. They even said I was the applicant they had been looking for and what a blessing I was to them.
We then chit chatted for a little bit. I shook hands and thanked them for the interview. The employer told me he would be calling me "pretty quickly". It is now Friday, no phone call, email, kiss my butt or anything. All I can say is WTH!?!?

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

I've had that happen where they make you feel like you are the one and then you never hear from them again.

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

263 in Los Angeles, California said: My heart and soul are with you. I had to stop searching to take care of my wife who basically had emergency cervical spinal fusion at the neck and is gonna need therapy for months while my unemploymment runs out in May, and of course there is still my daughter to take care of.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. At first, when prospective employers asked me to account for periods of unemployment, I felt that it was too personal. But they said that they have the right ask that. Things happen you know. You might have a family emergency. In your case, you have to take care of your wife because of her surgery.

Why do propsective employers need to know what you did between jobs? It's really none of their business!

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

[Unless you have EXACTLY everything a prospective employer wants, you might as well hang it up, for they are going OUT of their way to disqualify candidates from employment (sound familiar??).

I agree with you a hundred percent. Employers want you to have the exact qualifications that they're looking for. Or else, they don't want you.

In the last six years alone, employers have been very picky about who they want to hire. Skills, education, and experience are not enough. They want people who have knowledge of their industry, experience on the equipment that they operate, and so forth. They want somebody who's going to fit into their corporate culture. Like I said before, they want machines, and not people. They want a perfectionist; and not an amateur. They want somebody to get in there and hit the ground running. They want somebody who's efficient in this or efficient in that. They don't want anybody who makes mistakes. Everything has to be perfect. They just don't want to train anybody anymore. They don't even have time to train anyone.

Well we're a human beings and none of us is perfect. People are going to make mistakes. There's really no such thing as the "perfect candidate". Employers need to get off their high horses and start giving people a chance. How are they going to learn if they don't want to train them?

Reply - Report abuse

FS in Salem, Massachusetts

83 months ago

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania said: [Unless you have EXACTLY everything a prospective employer wants, you might as well hang it up, for they are going OUT of their way to disqualify candidates from employment (sound familiar??).

I agree with you a hundred percent. Employers want you to have the exact qualifications that they're looking for. Or else, they don't want you.

In the last six years alone, employers have been very picky about who they want to hire. Skills, education, and experience are not enough. They want people who have knowledge of their industry, experience on the equipment that they operate, and so forth. They want somebody who's going to fit into their corporate culture. Like I said before, they want machines, and not people. They want a perfectionist; and not an amateur. They want somebody to get in there and hit the ground running. They want somebody who's efficient in this or efficient in that. They don't want anybody who makes mistakes. Everything has to be perfect. They just don't want to train anybody anymore. They don't even have time to train anyone.

Well we're a human beings and none of us is perfect. People are going to make mistakes. There's really no such thing as the "perfect candidate". Employers need to get off their high horses and start giving people a chance. How are they going to learn if they don't want to train them?

Lot's of entry level jobs in Boston, MA. Don't apply though unless your graduating in 2010.

Reply - Report abuse

SilverWolf in Los Angeles, California

83 months ago

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania said: I'm sorry to hear about your situation. At first, when prospective employers asked me to account for periods of unemployment, I felt that it was too personal. But they said that they have the right ask that. Things happen you know. You might have a family emergency. In your case, you have to take care of your wife because of her surgery.

Why do propsective employers need to know what you did between jobs? It's really none of their business!

Thank You NanLisa. Thats a point I never thought about. Why is it there business what I do between Jobs. What do they expect me to say? That I was part of a seal team hunting Osama? Working to set up the New World Order? Funny how you cant question someone too in depth about their hire documents or anything of the kind but they can ask you what you did between jobs, especially when its obvious that most of the people here are long timers. They work for the company, do their best and stay as long as they are enjoying the work and the company is treating them fairly. Lets see, aside from my more urgent family care duties, I have been practicing my Office 2007, I am tutoring my daughter to speak a foreign language. I am reading books that I always wanted to but was always too tired to when I came home from the office. Sending Resumes out because I love Scam and Spam replies. That I was keeping up on my reading of current events and classical literature? That I am trying to think of an invention I can patent that might make me money since I have a very vivid imagination. Very good point NanLisa, what is it exactly? Maybe some of our insider contributors can answer this point.

Reply - Report abuse

tina454542 in Pembroke, Georgia

83 months ago

Amen!!!!!!! When you attend college or vocational school you do not get training for SXY company, you just get general skills for that particular job. Every company is different, how are you supposed to know how to do the job if you do not receive training when you do or if you get the job. This is has happened to me before: supervisor asked they didn't teach you how to do this?? No I was not trained in school for your company. Please train me for the position, teach me what I need to know and stop treating me like an idiot!!!!!!!! After that the job went fine, but company moved and I could not go with them. Good Luck to ALL!!!!!!!

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

FS in Salem, Massachusetts said: Lot's of entry level jobs in Boston, MA. Don't apply though unless your graduating in 2010.

FS: Thank you for the information, but I have no plans to move out of Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and I've got family here. My mother's a stroke patient at one of the nursing homes that I worked at as a dietary aide 30 years ago, and I need to be near her.

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Employers always make it sound like it's the employee's fault that they got laid off. Don't they know that many people get laid off and it's not usually because of something they did.

I also feel that employers shouldn't be allowed to ask your past salary history. Why does that matter? None of their business. Just pay me what I'm worth and be done with it.

Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Chicago, Illinois

83 months ago

For the salary they probably asked that in the past because if you got paid 20k and the current pay for that position in their company is 25k, then they probably feel why pay her 25k when she worked for 20k, if they do give you more than your last employer then they may say 22k is what we will pay based on your skills, and they get off cheaper. Today almost everyone will take a hit in pay, so even it is less, most likely they will take it, but they probably compare. We interviewed 10 candidates and take the one that was making the least, as they one will most likely stay and be happy with that low pay. I think that a company should have a standard rate a person for an Admin position will be started at X and a person for Acct Mgr will start at X and a sales manager will start at x. You work your way up. When you take a job at McDonalds they don't look at the fact that you have 20 years of customer service so we should pay you more, no all cashiers start at x and a shift mgr at x. Take it or leave it. Employers probably pick the stupid one because they look at pay. Then if they are real stupid, they get fired, and the employer has to start over the process and waste both time and $.

Reply - Report abuse

stop the madness! in Mount Prospect, Illinois

83 months ago

Kim in Chicago, Illinois said: if you got paid 20k and the current pay for that position in their company is 25k, then they probably feel why pay her 25k when she worked for 20k, if they do give you more than your last employer then they may say 22k is what we will pay based on your skills, and they get off cheaper.

Who the heck would work for that? A recent grad living at home? That's not even a living wage.

Reply - Report abuse

Full time job hunter in Bryan, Texas

83 months ago

stop the madness! in Mount Prospect, Illinois said: Who the heck would work for that? A recent grad living at home? That's not even a living wage.

That is more than I have ever made annually and I have a college education.

Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Duluth, Minnesota

83 months ago

These stories are heartbreaking. Now imagine being a fresh grad right out of college with little job experience and about $30,000 in debt. After over a year of looking for a job and having zero success. I decided two things. First, my job as a pizza delivery driver working for cash and making $12-$20 an hour wasn't so bad. Second, college is the biggest heist, ponzi scheme, and hoax that this country has ever seen. It inspired me to create a website dedicated to warning others at www.thegreatcollegehoax.com

Now I feel like I am in an ocean of sinking ships. I am just trying to keep mine afloat longer than everyone else. I'm watching the friends I graduated with, commit suicide and file for bankruptcy. No more American Dreams anymore. Now life is about food on the table and bills getting paid.

I swear the arguments in my house right now, over money, were probably freaking out the ghosts in the room who had the same conversations in the 1930's.

Reply - Report abuse

stop the madness! in Mount Prospect, Illinois

83 months ago

Full time job hunter in Bryan, Texas said: That is more than I have ever made annually and I have a college education.

Oh, wow. I'm sorry. How many years are you out of college? Please say less than 5.

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

casey45 in Alabama said: I do agree with you on this point. I wish that question was not allowed to be asked. If a candidate has something in their past they are trying to hide such as a felony, things like that can be found through a background check. If a candidate was out of work due to personal or family problems, then I don't think it is anyone's business.

As much as we don't like it, companies today have to protect themselves, and that is why they do criminal and employee background checks. It's a Catch 22 situation.

If you have a felony conviction, that's one thing. But if you had to stay home and take care of your kids and/or a sick family member, it's really none of their business. But yet they ask this because I think they don't want any jobhoppers. They want people with stable job histories. But in this day and age, there's no such thing as job longevity.

Here in Pennsylvania, in order to work for any of the schools, you have to have a criminal background check and a child abuse clearance. In this case, I don't blame them one bit. You hear so many stories about teachers molesting students and having sex with them that it's not even funny. (Remember Pam Smart and Mary Kay Letourneau.)

They should do the same thing with doctors as well. Down in Delaware, this one pediatrician has been charged with molesting his patients over the last 15 years or so; one of them was a 3-month-old baby.

There are some questions that employers can and can't ask you. If you don't feel comfortable with a prospective employer's questioning, just let them know.

But if you were out of work because you were laid off, you had a sick family member, small kids to take care of, or anything else that's personal, it's really none of their business. It's not your fault that the company noved out of state, decided to outsource their jobs overseas, they decided to reorganize, and so forth. You're not breaking any laws. Things do happen.

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: Employers always make it sound like it's the employee's fault that they got laid off. Don't they know that many people get laid off and it's not usually because of something they did.

I also feel that employers shouldn't be allowed to ask your past salary history. Why does that matter? None of their business. Just pay me what I'm worth and be done with it.

As much as we don't like it, employers do ask how much you made on your past jobs. I've been asked this plenty of times, and it really doesn't bother me. That's just a general question.

What has bothered me was when they ask what your salary requirements are. When they ask me that question, I ask them how much the job is paying. I was once told to say that I'm willing to negotiate that, but they insist of asking you what you're looking for. They ask this because they want to pay what they can afford to pay you. For example, if you're looking for a job that pays $30,000 a year, and they're only paying $25,000, they don't want to see you.

Now that I'm on Social Security Disability, I will clearly let them know that I can't make any more than $980 a month. I am not going to jeopardize my benefits. And if they don't; they don't.

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Really, they don't need to know what I made in the past. The way I look at it is they look at it as you'll be willing to work for a lower wage if your last job paid less. Then they end up offering you less than planned and they get off easy.

What I'm talking about here is when you have to put salary on an application, like what your starting and ending pay was. I don't think what you made in the past is any of their business. What only needs to be discussed is what the job they are offering is going to pay. That's the only one that matters at this point.

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Jim in Duluth, Minnesota said: Second, college is the biggest heist, ponzi scheme, and hoax that this country has ever seen. It inspired me to create a website dedicated to warning others at www.thegreatcollegehoax.com

Also include in this grandiose scheme Junk Debt Buyers, who are buying up thousands of mortgage and credit card debts and are making the lives of the unemployed/underemployed who defaulted on them even more of a living hell (if that's possible). Many of these JDB's are organized criminals, going OUT of their way to break the weak consumer protection laws currently on the books, while the Federal Trade Commission basically does little more than collect fines from them and turns the other way....

Reply - Report abuse

dellab in detroit, Michigan

83 months ago

I love it you people yall are ALL right I agree one hundred percent you all have said what I was thinking... RIGHT ONE fight the establishment...Interviews suck, Yall got me crackin up..'not laughin at you' but I feel you, My question is why are employers willing to hire someone wit alotta short term jobs, rather than someone that took time off b/c of family, death, ect?

Reply - Report abuse

mortimerryon in Shelton, Connecticut

83 months ago

I feel your pain. I just got layed off end of February and I can't stand using Craiglist,Be very careful. I was a professional Account manager for Tech Depot, doing b2b inside sales selling tech products. You would not believe the amount of junky job leads generated by CL. I hate posting there but on occassion there is some good things. I am in connecticut and the economy here sucks really badly. I am getting concerned about getting a job soon, a lot of pressure right now.

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Ugh, I still don't know if I can get unemployment even though I've been laid off for a month already. Will this ever end??? They claim I didn't make enough money to collect it. Well, duh, the employer's pay was crap and they wouldn't give me more hours. How can a person make money that way? It seems no matter what you do, you get screwed by someone.

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Well it depends on a few things,in ct for example I was unable to collect unemployment due to holiday pay and severance pay. I had only worked intermittantly for the last couple of years and my unployment is not a lot with a mortgage. You should try to talk to someone in a local employment office like a main branch, they are paid to help you, in ct they have a lot of resources some are good and some not so good.

Good Luck!!

Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Indeed is surely one of the better sites, organized pretty easy to use. I am pretty sure there is a way to post your resume here, I think I did it when I first got layed off. If anyone want to chime in and help please do so. In CT fairfield county jobs is okay, Hotjobs is a pain, hard to use, not the most user friendly site around. I also like these forums as it allows us to vent in a positve way and hear other stories that other people are going through.

Thanks

Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.