Get out of Retail??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Kary in Weston, Massachusetts

73 months ago

I graduated with a BS in accounting almost 6 months ago. All my work experience was in retail and food service as well. I've had many interviews since graduation but no job offers. Employers snub their noses at my work experience because I guess I look like an unmotivated loser. It's hard to get out of retail when the competition is so fierce. I started spending more time checking out temp agencies. I ended up getting a job doing data entry. I don't like it but it's something other than retail while I continue looking. I hate temp agencies with a passion but they really are your best bet when you want to get out of the retail jobs cycle. Apply to as many as possible and check with them as often as possible. And maybe check out yelp.com to help find the better agencies in your area.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Average in Medford, Massachusetts

73 months ago

dontwanttobea99er in Somerville, Massachusetts said: I don't mean to be negative. .
Do you see anyone saying anything positive about getting out of retail?
Kary in Weston, Massachusetts said: I I ended up getting a job doing data entry.[/QUTE]
I think the mini-anecdote you've given is optimistic since many temp agencies give preference to seasoned workers If you know of any staffing agencies in the Boston area where recruiters actually have entry-level data entry jobs to hand out, I'd like to know about it because the Officeteam, and PSGs of the New England staffing agency world weren't very helpful when the unemployment rate was lower, a few years ago.

The last person I talked to, at an unemployment office, didn't even mention temp agencies. She thought I could walk into a clerical job, even though , unlike her,I was a guy, and didn't have a history of temp work because I didn't start out doing temp work in high school.

When it comes to white collar work right now, I think women may have an advantage (finally) because they are going to be more likely to be given a receptionist , or a data entry job, that will get them a foot in a door", because a lot of entry level office work is considered 'pink collar'.

What I'm wondering, Kary, is whether your mini-anecdote is replicable or if you the right person, at right place, and at the right time and maybe had a few good referrals.

Have you sent an application out with your new job on it? If so, are you getting interviews now because you have white collar experience?

Reply - Report abuse

Average in Medford, Massachusetts

73 months ago

dontwanttobea99er in Somerville, Massachusetts said: I don't mean to be negative. .
Do you see anyone saying anything positive about getting out of retail?

Kary in Weston, Massachusetts said: I I ended up getting a job doing data entry.

I think the mini-anecdote you've given is optimistic since many temp agencies give preference to seasoned workers If you know of any staffing agencies in the Boston area where recruiters actually have entry-level data entry jobs to hand out, I'd like to know about it because the Officeteam, and PSGs of the New England staffing agency world weren't very helpful when the unemployment rate was lower, a few years ago.

The last person I talked to, at an unemployment office, didn't even mention temp agencies. She thought I could walk into a clerical job, even though , unlike her,I was a guy, and didn't have a history of temp work because I didn't start out doing temp work in high school.

When it comes to white collar work right now, I think women may have an advantage (finally) because they are going to be more likely to be given a receptionist , or a data entry job, that will get them a foot in a door", because a lot of entry level office work is considered 'pink collar'.

What I'm wondering, Kary, is whether your mini-anecdote is replicable or if you were the right person, at right place, and at the right time and maybe had a few good referrals.

Have you sent an application out with your new job on it? If so, are you getting interviews now because you have white collar experience?

Reply - Report abuse

Fillinthegap in Reno, Nevada

51 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: Why harder if you are a black male ?

I see the resident dodo bird is still trying to fly. Hopeless!

Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Elmwood Park, New Jersey

41 months ago

If you have a Costco near you you should try them. I checked Glassdoor and my mouth nearly dropped. A cashier's average pay is almost $12/hr with some going as high as $20! For a cashier! Granted I'm sure that's after many years of service. But between Sam's Club, BJs, and traditional retail jobs, Costco has some of the higest wages for all of their positions. And they have a rating of 3.8/5 by reviewers, which is pretty darn good if you research some other companies on Glassdoor.

Reply - Report abuse

Candlestick in Grand Rapids, Michigan

33 months ago

Paul in Fair Lawn, New Jersey said: Human doormat? Believe me, I've seen some of my managers in action, and most of them are not human doormats. They go toe to toe with the customer, and yes, most of the times the customers get what they want. But I've seen plenty of times where the manager won and watched the customer walk away defeated. Managers hold more ground when dealing with customers than regular part time workers, and they can get away with more.

candlestic

Reply - Report abuse

Candlestick in Grand Rapids, Michigan

33 months ago

I have worked at quite a few retail jobs. And one way or another the management throws a associate under the buss. And totally agree with their lack of training that most people get. Not to mention the lack of promotional opportunities for older associates.

Reply - Report abuse

Jackofnothing in New York, New York

33 months ago

Retail is the worst. Get out early if you can or don't start at all.

Reply - Report abuse

brownman in Glen Allen, Virginia

28 months ago

I have been a Retail Manager for 7.5 years. I am educated, do works weekends and Holidays. I also have not made less than 99,000 in the last 7 years. It is very ignorant too make aaumptions based on what you think you know.

Reply - Report abuse

EconGuy

28 months ago

Tiffany Elmore in Valdosta, Georgia said: How do you get out of Retail in this economy? I have yet to find a good job, that is not retail or part-time, and I have a 2 year computer degree. :(

Funny thing is I have a A.S. Computer Programming and some certs and also work in retail and supplement with freelancing.

In the US you can't get IT jobs without a B.S. or better and even then it takes networking. Except for some exceptions with repair shops but those are mostly family ran or salesmen.

You go to Europe or Russia you can take a two-hour test to prove your skills and you're hired. I know this from first-hand experience.

Reply - Report abuse

supercoolguy in Bainbridge Island, Washington

22 months ago

Ive had more than enough retail & hotel experience to go around. 20yrs. Cant believe im still doing it BUT guess what. Its gotten better, There is great opportunity to earn a good income of min $60k/yr and up. No, not as a barista or housekeeper. But sales is another story. IT can be fun putting deals together for people and everybody wins. But really i wouldn't mind being out of the front line type retail, it gets old but what doesnt, even if you own the joint.

Reply - Report abuse

caitallica in Texas

22 months ago

Hi, I'm feeling stuck in retail too. I have a degree. I would like to find a job in something other than retail or sales. I got my degree in Environmental science about 3 years ago. For the past 2 years I've been stuck in retail, because I can't seem to find a job related to my degree. I don't want to be stuck working retail any longer than I have to, I bored at my job, I want a challenge and a change. I'm considering going back to school for something else. Right now I'm inbetween either Vet Tech or Pharmacy Tech, so far I have somewhat an interest in those career fields.

Reply - Report abuse

digger1104 in Rockford, Illinois

8 months ago

Hi, I have been in a big box home center as a manager for over 10 years. I am trying to switch careers but am finding little cross over to other industries. Any Suggestions?

Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Fair Lawn, New Jersey

8 months ago

digger1104 in Rockford, Illinois said: Hi, I have been in a big box home center as a manager for over 10 years. I am trying to switch careers but am finding little cross over to other industries. Any Suggestions?

Yes. Pest Control. I find they'll hire anybody, whereas other places will see your retail experience and tell you to stay in retail there's nothing else for you. I went from retail to pest control and my family and myself are 100x happier because retail sucked the life out of me.

Reply - Report abuse

AndyRising in a State of Bliss

8 months ago

Digger, you need to look at the tasks you've been responsible for in the past, and consider how those same tasks translate to other careers. Did you manage people? Keep track of budgets? Inventory? Shipping and receiving? Did you work to keep costs down and profits up?

Google phrases like "career transition" and "job skill other industries" for lots of advice. Some examples:

www.careerbuilder.com/advice/what-you-can-do-with-a-background-in-retail

nrf.com/news/how-retail-skills-open-doors-any-industry

www.fpcnational.com/career-tips/managing-careers/8-managing-careers/44-transferable-job-skills-might-be-the-key-to-your-job-search-success

www.totaljobs.com/careers-advice/content/transferable-skills

Reply - Report abuse

JobSeeker in Cincinnati, Ohio

8 months ago

I got out of retail by going to a call center... that was many years ago. While still working, I went to college. The field I went to school for wasn't all it was portrayed as. So, I'm still still in customer service. When I was unemployed more recently, I did temp work but I didn't use an agency.. I worked directly for companies who hired for a seasonal job or temporary only. You can build your resume in this way. Some places also advertise jobs that are 'optional' or 'per diem'... these are places like hospitals and such that only need somebody on call or for only 8 hrs a week... it's less than what a standard part-time job would be, but still a way to get experience. Connections really matter in this economy.

Reply - Report abuse

Bardcore in Grande Prairie, Alberta

1 month ago

brownman in Glen Allen, Virginia said: I have been a Retail Manager for 7.5 years. I am educated, do works weekends and Holidays. I also have not made less than 99,000 in the last 7 years. It is very ignorant too make aaumptions based on what you think you know.

That’s all well and good if money’s the most important thing to you, but I actually would like to spend time with friends and family on weekends. Being unavailable when everyone else is getting together really does a number on you, especially when people who have never had those jobs with awful hours don’t understand why you don’t have that time off when everyone else is free.

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.