Getting associate's degree after a bachelor's?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Dave in Delmar, New York

15 months ago

I graduated 2 years ago with a bachelor's degree in graphic design - this is something I had wanted to do since early on in high school so I decided to pursue it in college. However, since graduating I have found it really difficult to find any kind of job in the field - the few that I do find, I apply but never hear back. After doing some research online I found that graphic design jobs just aren't in high demand, and the pay is low, which is not something I want.

Lately I have been rethinking my career path and have thought about going back to school to get an associate's degree in web development. I took one web design course in college, but otherwise have very basic knowledge of the web development field, but I know that these jobs are in much higher demand and the salaries are much higher.

My question is - is an associate's degree the right option? Is it common for people to have a bachelor's but then go for an associate's degree in a somewhat related field? I mean I already have design knowledge and experience which I feel would make me more employable, but I'm just worried that an associate's might not give me enough knowledge to land a good job in web development.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

15 months ago

there's already a whole forum on this. type in getting an associates after a bachelors and hit find forums.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Dave in Delmar, New York said: I graduated 2 years ago with a bachelor's degree in graphic design - this is something I had wanted to do since early on in high school so I decided to pursue it in college. However, since graduating I have found it really difficult to find any kind of job in the field - the few that I do find, I apply but never hear back. After doing some research online I found that graphic design jobs just aren't in high demand, and the pay is low, which is not something I want.

Lately I have been rethinking my career path and have thought about going back to school to get an associate's degree in web development. I took one web design course in college, but otherwise have very basic knowledge of the web development field, but I know that these jobs are in much higher demand and the salaries are much higher.

My question is - is an associate's degree the right option? Is it common for people to have a bachelor's but then go for an associate's degree in a somewhat related field? I mean I already have design knowledge and experience which I feel would make me more employable, but I'm just worried that an associate's might not give me enough knowledge to land a good job in web development.

Can't comment on web development other than to say that it is an extremely competitive field.

However, one of my nieces is a hair stylist and she said today that "beauty school" now costs $20,000! Half the people trying to get in have useless four year degrees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Riot in Ware, Massachusetts

15 months ago

I don't know that a new degree will necessarily make you any more competitive in that field. From a financial standpoint, you'd probably be better off self-learning and build a portfolio. You could gain experience by offering do design new sites for local non-profit/public organizations such as the PTA/PTO, town library, etc.

I'm sure one of the resident IT people will post soon though.

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Experienced Seeker in Schaumburg, Illinois

15 months ago

If you have multiple degrees, they are going to look at the highest one, not the most recent. Getting an associates degree in anything is a waste of time and money if you already have a bachelors.

A new degree, regardless if its an associates or masters, won't get a return on your investment in this market IMHO. Especially in a technical field where the curriculum will surely be outdated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.