Giving notice today

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (33)

neednewjob in Chicago, Illinois

32 months ago

I've been up all night in anticipation. Today is the day. I will walk in and give my notice. I'm sure there will be a scene because my boss is certifiable, but I'm glad so I can move on. One more toxic element out of my life.

This job was my big career mistake. We all have one. Maybe in a few years I'll be able to look back more objectively, but today, I am just going to celebrate my freedom.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Diane in SE Mass in Norton, Massachusetts

32 months ago

Elaine: I've had enough. I am marchin' in.
Jerry: You're marchin' in.
Elaine: I'm marchin'.
George: Hey.
Jerry: Hey. Elaine's quitting.
George: Really?
Elaine: I'm marchin' in.
George: I've done the march in. Best feeling in the world.
Jerry: How 'bout the march out?
George: Not as good...

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

32 months ago

Sometimes the march in is better than the march out. How sad to think bosses can treat us that way. We end up quitting and feel relief. They save the unemployment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Well that's done. I'm relieved that i no longer have this toxicity weighing me down, and saddened by the fact that the job didnt work out like I had hoped. Now I just need to make it through 2 weeks....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

32 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: Well that's done. I'm relieved that i no longer have this toxicity weighing me down, and saddened by the fact that the job didnt work out like I had hoped. Now I just need to make it through 2 weeks....

What happens if the new job becomes like the old job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

32 months ago

Get out of that poisonous work environment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: What happens if the new job becomes like the old job?

Well I really hope that is not the case. But I'm making a few changes and moving into a different type working environment (startup) than what I'm used to (fortune 100). I also made sure that I went to a place where I knew people and trusted them to give me the straight skinny on what's good, what's not. I'm going in with eyes wide open of the issues.

There is always a risk. But what I'm leaving was a perfect storm of toxicity. It's a company on the brink of bankruptcy, mixed with a boss who is a true sociopath, mixed with a workforce of apathetic mouthbreathers. If I eliminate 1 of the 3, it's an improvement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

32 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: Well that's done. I'm relieved that i no longer have this toxicity weighing me down, and saddened by the fact that the job didnt work out like I had hoped. Now I just need to make it through 2 weeks....

If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands. If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Victoria, Texas

32 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: I've been up all night in anticipation. Today is the day. I will walk in and give my notice. I'm sure there will be a scene because my boss is certifiable, but I'm glad so I can move on. One more toxic element out of my life.

This job was my big career mistake. We all have one. Maybe in a few years I'll be able to look back more objectively, but today, I am just going to celebrate my freedom.

So very happy for you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Thx. It's been the worst 3 years of my life and it is so liberating that its over. I wouldn't wish this environment on my worst enemy.

When I've left previous jobs, my anxiety sets in and I start wondering what I've done. No apprehension with this one at all. It was absolutely the right thing to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

32 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: Thx. It's been the worst 3 years of my life and it is so liberating that its over. I wouldn't wish this environment on my worst enemy.

When I've left previous jobs, my anxiety sets in and I start wondering what I've done. No apprehension with this one at all. It was absolutely the right thing to do.

My last legal job like that, I was hired because he needed a legal secretary. He had gone through 17 in two years. My BP was 140 when I left (two years later). It is usually 115 or lower. When I got out of there I just felt relief.

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

32 months ago

I feel bad for people that stay at a poisonous job and go on meds just to cope with the anxiety and misery.

I had a job that was killing me and had to quit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

northofthed in Troy, Michigan

32 months ago

You know how people often say - "In a year from now, you'll look back on this situation and laugh"?

Well, I don't necessarily know if you'll "laugh," but I suspect you'll be even more glad that you made the decision to leave the toxic environment. You'll probably be less stressed, more confident, and working for a company that actually values your daily contributions.

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

32 months ago

NorthOfTheD in Troy, Michigan said: You know how people often say - "In a year from now, you'll look back on this situation and laugh"?

Well, I don't necessarily know if you'll "laugh," but I suspect you'll be even more glad that you made the decision to leave the toxic environment. You'll probably be less stressed, more confident, and working for a company that actually values your daily contributions.

Been my experience as well. Truly, anything I ever walked away from came with NO regrets. It takes a lot for me to walk away too, but from what I see here with NNJ's situation, she is doing a wonderful thing for herself. :)

Bluetea in Texas

32 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Been my experience as well. Truly, anything I ever walked away from came with NO regrets. It takes a lot for me to walk away too, but from what I see here with NNJ's situation, she is doing a wonderful thing for herself. :)

Agreed. Today, you need to know three things: 1. How to get a job. 2. How to leave a job. 3. How to keep the job you have.

I remember leaving one job and having horrible anxiety about the whole thing - even to the point of nausea and sleepless nights. Then, I learned that I was on an upcoming "hit list" anyway.

No job is forever anymore.

32 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Agreed. Today, you need to know three things: 1. How to get a job. 2. How to leave a job. 3. How to keep the job you have.

I remember leaving one job and having horrible anxiety about the whole thing - even to the point of nausea and sleepless nights. Then, I learned that I was on an upcoming "hit list" anyway.

No job is forever anymore.

Yes! Often when a job is becoming that distressful, it's not your imagination that they want you out. And we all know that if a company can get out of having someone collect U.C. by forcing you to quit, they will do it.

Sadly, unlike a toxic love relationship, it is much harder to walk away from a job since this can risk your finances in a big way. But if you have a safety net of some kind, walking away may be the only way to make an unbearable work situation end.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

I would never advise leaving without something to go to. That's the only way I could make this work.

All jobs have negative aspects. But it's important to know what your breaking point is and form an exit strategy before you hit it.

32 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: I would never advise leaving without something to go to. That's the only way I could make this work.

All jobs have negative aspects. But it's important to know what your breaking point is and form an exit strategy before you hit it.

Most definitely.

Bluetea in Texas

32 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: I would never advise leaving without something to go to. That's the only way I could make this work.

I have done a number of exit interviews and the smartest rats, who leave the ship do have an exit strategy. Some have planned months in advance.

Bluetea in Texas

32 months ago

And part of that exit strategy is to keep your mouth shut about it at work.

32 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I have done a number of exit interviews and the smartest rats, who leave the ship do have an exit strategy. Some have planned months in advance.

I should have known at my last job that something was very wrong when we started losing some of our "superstars". I hung in there with my crew, falsely believing our company could recover and I could be a part of that. Two previous lay-offs seem to further my desire to "stay put" instead of planning my exit.

I learned a hard lesson. Being "loyal" to a company is a quality of the past. In today's world, you have to constantly be ready to go and do it before the ship sinks.

32 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: And part of that exit strategy is to keep your mouth shut about it at work.

Yup.

Bluetea in Texas

32 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: I should have known at my last job that something was very wrong when we started losing some of our "superstars". I hung in there with my crew, falsely believing our company could recover and I could be a part of that. Two previous lay-offs seem to further my desire to "stay put" instead of planning my exit.

I learned a hard lesson. Being "loyal" to a company is a quality of the past. In today's world, you have to constantly be ready to go and do it before the ship sinks.

Just the rumor of a downsize has caused a flurry of resignation notices to hit my desk. This ain't your Mama's workplace anymore.

32 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said:

Easier said than done. It's very difficult to find another job even when you have a job.

I tried and other companies in my industry either treated me like crap during interviews, didn't want to talk, or made me offers that were ridiculously low. Easier said than done to just find another similar job.

32 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Easier said than done. It's very difficult to find another job even when you have a job.

I tried and other companies in my industry either treated me like crap during interviews, didn't want to talk, or made me offers that were ridiculously low. Easier said than done to just find another similar job.

....and that's why so many just stay at their toxic job til retirement.

32 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Easier said than done. It's very difficult to find another job even when you have a job.

So very true. We all know how exhausting it is to apply and interview and this is no different when you are still employed. But I know if I am ever lucky enough to work again, I must fight that urge to be complacent.

Our parents and grandparents were lucky indeed to have one or two jobs their whole lives, even if they did without the luxuries we have today.

Well, I'm off to another interview this afternoon. Part time hours and it's very local, but I'm excited to see if I have a shot at this. Wish me luck as I will wish everyone else luck here too! :)

32 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: So very true. We all know how exhausting it is to apply and interview and this is no different when you are still employed. But I know if I am ever lucky enough to work again, I must fight that urge to be complacent.

Our parents and grandparents were lucky indeed to have one or two jobs their whole lives, even if they did without the luxuries we have today.

Well, I'm off to another interview this afternoon. Part time hours and it's very local, but I'm excited to see if I have a shot at this. Wish me luck as I will wish everyone else luck here too! :)

I do wish you the best of luck today.

northofthed in Troy, Michigan

32 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: I should have known at my last job that something was very wrong when we started losing some of our "superstars". I hung in there with my crew, falsely believing our company could recover and I could be a part of that. Two previous lay-offs seem to further my desire to "stay put" instead of planning my exit.

Words (summarized) from a WSJ article I read a couple years ago that stuck with me:

"When the brightest of management walks away, you may find yourself in one or both of two situations; each of which should require immediate consideration of certain actions:

1. If you're an employee, start job hunting.
2. If you're an investor, sell and exit your position."

32 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: So very true. We all know how exhausting it is to apply and interview and this is no different when you are still employed. But I know if I am ever lucky enough to work again, I must fight that urge to be complacent.

Best of luck!

32 months ago

NorthOfTheD in Troy, Michigan said: Words (summarized) from a WSJ article I read a couple years ago that stuck with me:

"When the brightest of management walks away, you may find yourself in one or both of two situations; each of which should require immediate consideration of certain actions:

1. If you're an employee, start job hunting.
2. If you're an investor, sell and exit your position."

After announcing to my staff that I was leaving, it was clear that half didn't care or were relieved that I would be gone. But the other half are firmly in camp #1 above. I've spent this morning giving some of the same advice we all share here - don't quit without something lined up, make sure you find a job that you want to go to and don't take underemployment if you don't absolutely have to, etc. On one hand, I'm flattered that my team thinks so highly of me. On the other, I'm deeply saddened that they are experiencing the same toxicity that I did. I tried so hard to shield them from it.

32 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: I do wish you the best of luck today.

Thank-you Joe. I just got back and it's a job that would be so perfect for me on every level as I can see it. It's a local church just minutes from my home and I can tell these people are very genuine and kind to work for. The pay is very fair and it's enough hours that would put me back in the same payscale as my last full time job, minus the benefits that I already have with my spouse.

I'm composing my thank-you note, just like you are doing with your interview. I hope we both have a positive outcome. :)

32 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: Best of luck!

Thank-you! I haven't given up yet, so we shall see. I feel good about the interview and I will be over the moon should I get it since it's so wonderfully close to home and it's a job that I know I would enjoy as well.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.