To Go or Not To Go (On This Interview)

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

18 months ago

I have an interview at a dental office tomorrow at noon. The reception job has been posted on and off now for quite awhile. (This is the 3rd or 4th time I've seen it come open this year.) The very first time it came open and had an interview with them, they claimed they called to tell me they had to reschedule because the manager had to go to their other office (they have 2 locations) for an emergency. Only they didn't (neither my home phone or cell had a voicemail from them on it) and I ended up driving 40 minutes (25 miles) for interview only to find out I wasn't being seen. What a waste of gas to and from (mom and I were both pissed about it).

Anyhow, I'm debating simply not showing up tomorrow and not even saying anything to them sort of as payback for what happened me prior. Then again, part of me is curious as to why this job has come open several times already and would like to inquire why.

What do you all think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

18 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: I have an interview at a dental office tomorrow at noon. The reception job has been posted on and off now for quite awhile. (This is the 3rd or 4th time I've seen it come open this year.) The very first time it came open and had an interview with them, they claimed they called to tell me they had to reschedule because the manager had to go to their other office (they have 2 locations) for an emergency. Only they didn't (neither my home phone or cell had a voicemail from them on it) and I ended up driving 40 minutes (25 miles) for interview only to find out I wasn't being seen. What a waste of gas to and from (mom and I were both pissed about it).

Anyhow, I'm debating simply not showing up tomorrow and not even saying anything to them sort of as payback for what happened me prior. Then again, part of me is curious as to why this job has come open several times already and would like to inquire why.

What do you all think?

A job posted over and over again is generally a bad sign.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

job hunter in Brooklyn, New York

18 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: A job posted over and over again is generally a bad sign.

I agree.

John in Catonsville, Maryland

18 months ago

Yes, a job reposted on a regular basis is a bad sign. But, if an applicant fails to show for an appointment, what is their likely response going to be?

1) "these piss poor victims can't be bothered to show, waste our time (followed by a bunch of cussing) or

2) Gee, it must be our fault that we stood up appointments in the past, these poor applicants, whatever are they going to do?

Over the past couple months, there are 2 or 3 jobs I see reposted every couple of weeks. Low pay and ridiculous requirements were my first clue from the get-go.

Missy in San Antonio, Texas

18 months ago

I would call before the interview time and ask if I was still scheduled before I left the house. I would explain that I had an interview at an earlier date and when I arrived the interview had been cancelled without my knowledge. No sense in driving all that way for nothing.

If you decide to go to the interview make sure you have a list of questions about the job duties and requirements. Also ask about any duties that may be required but not listed on the job ad. Their idea and your idea of a receptionist may be different.

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

18 months ago

Yes, go.

Concerning their past behavior, yeah that was inconsiderate on their part but maybe-MAYBE-they're trying to be better behaved employers this time around.

But if you are still irritated about the previous experience, call to cancel the interview. Good luck whatever you decide.

Bluetea in Texas

18 months ago

Missy in San Antonio, Texas said: I would call before the interview time and ask if I was still scheduled before I left the house. I would explain that I had an interview at an earlier date and when I arrived the interview had been cancelled without my knowledge. No sense in driving all that way for nothing.

If you decide to go to the interview make sure you have a list of questions about the job duties and requirements. Also ask about any duties that may be required but not listed on the job ad. Their idea and your idea of a receptionist may be different.

And when they say, "So do you have any questions for us?" say, "Yes, how many golf balls does it take to fill up this room?"

I always wanted to know the answer to that one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

18 months ago

Of course a job that is posted three to four times in a year could suggest that people have stayed for three two or three months.

Then the question would be, did they find better jobs? Or did they leave the building in a straight jacket.

18 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said:

I always wanted to know the answer to that one.

The questions, on both ends of this ridiculous process known as a face to face interview (rare these days) are so last century textbook.

I mean really, "Where do you see yourself in five years?"

Well, given that most people now change jobs about every four years, I guess I'll be at the job I go to after this one?

(disclaimer: that is a stat I have seen thrown about, but it sounds reasonable in this job climate.)

Bluetea in Texas

18 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: The questions, on both ends of this ridiculous process known as a face to face interview (rare these days) are so last century textbook.

Well, given that most people now change jobs about every four years, I guess I'll be at the job I go to after this one?

(disclaimer: that is a stat I have seen thrown about, but it sounds reasonable in this job climate.)

You know, I am not hearing that one quite as much anymore.

4.4 years is now the average shelf life of an employee. I was at my last job for five years and I was an ol' timer.

18 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: But, if an applicant fails to show for an appointment, what is their likely response going to be?

1) "these piss poor victims can't be bothered to show, waste our time (followed by a bunch of cussing?

That's pretty much what my initial reaction was when I showed up for my interview the last time and was told they had called me but didn't and wouldn't interview me because the practice manager had skipped out to go to another office they have elsewhere.

Fair is fair.

18 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: Then the question would be, did they find better jobs? Or did they leave the building in a straight jacket.

Maybe the employer is picky. Perhaps the last few times the job was advertised they didn't find anyone they liked. (Of course, I'd find that pretty hard to believe out of several hundred candidates.) Or maybe the employer didn't like the person they hired each time and fired them after awhile. Gosh, they could've also hired someone each time only for the people they ended up hiring to back out after they accepted. Who knows. Maybe they found out something or learned something afterwards and said, "No way."

Anything is possible.

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

18 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said:
Anything is possible.

That's what I think. If you go, report back!

18 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: The questions, on both ends of this ridiculous process known as a face to face interview (rare these days) are so last century textbook.

If I'm asked that question (it des come up every now and then), I tell them I hope I'm still working for you should you end up hiring me. Sometimes, I just say that I see myself doing this job well down the road because this is my career and what I'm passionate about. It's what I really enjoy doing in life.

18 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: If you go, report back!

Actually, I tried E-Mailing them about it and haven't heard back. I thought it was worth a try E-Mailing about this. I have in the past with 2 or 3 other employers and they've been pretty good about telling me what's up with the job in E-Mail. Apparently, this place doesn't feel the same way about it.

18 months ago

Go then and good luck. If it turns out to be not the greatest place, at least you are gaining experience and making contacts. That's all good.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.