Good medical science jobs and majors?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

JediCandy in Wyandotte, Michigan

13 months ago

I'm trying to decide what in god's name to do with myself. Any career/college advice would be extremely appreciated. I have an Associates in Medical Lab Technician, but I want more, possibly even something different. I do not want to go to college for a career that's dying (I was interested in cytotech, heard some bad things). I'm going back this fall for SOMETHING. But what? I've already wasted 6 years in college trying to decide what to do, interests and aptitude versus cash for survival, and I really want to get it right this time.

I like everything. Medical sciences, psychology, art history. I could stay in college forever. I like the idea of research or forensics, neuroscience, microscope work, cellular work, pathology, those sorts of things. I cannot guarantee ever having enough money to go PhD level, but I'm naturally adept with mental sciences.

I'm worried I'm going to choose something I love and not be able to find a job. Getting an MLT degree was fun, I liked the science aspects, but it's hard to get in anywhere decent with that degree. And the problems I had at that college (getting internships for the 8 students in the program was hell, the school wasn't very good at preparing for the real workforce) has sort of left me wondering if I even want to work in a hospital lab.

Any help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Average in Medford, Massachusetts

13 months ago

Do nursing. If you have a voracious appetite for school you can try to get into medical school. Become a doctor.

Thanks for letting me know about how your experience in the MLT job market has been. I was actually thinking about going into that. I suspect your problems with getting into the field has to do with two things. 1. Michigan's job market, in my opinion, is not good.
2. Most schools do a poor job of preparing students for the workforce. It's up to the student to prepare himself or herself, unfortunately.

Working in a hospital can be unpleasant, especially if you are not working in an administrative position where people wear nice clothes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JediCandy in Wyandotte, Michigan

13 months ago

Well, MLT difficult here in Michigan, which as you said is a poor place to look for work. You're absolutely right. If you like the lab, you should just go for the Clinical Lab Science major, the 4 year version of MLT. At least here most places want the 4 year degree. I suspect MLT might be easier in say a rural type setting, small labs, ect. Hospitals here just did not want to take us on as interns because they preferred 4 years and felt it was unfair to us to take us on if they couldn't hire. But from what I hear most of the time you'll perform the same exact job functions as the MT/CLS, but your pay will be much less.

Nursing, huh? I thought about that a long time ago. I dunno if I have the stamina. :O

Thanks for your advice and comments. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.