Graduated from college BUT been unemployed for months now

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 75)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

talentgenie in Compton, California

25 months ago

I'm a Recruiter with 15 years of experience. I'd like to take a look at your resume and see if I can help you tell a clean, clear story around your work history. I think there are some simple things we can do to make your work history appear cohesive. You can send to talentgenie at gmail dot com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

25 months ago

My dad actually showed me an ad for an "entry level regional manager" for a bunch of local radio stations.

Entry level regional manager?!? That sounds an awful lot like "we want you to do three people's jobs for next to nothing in pay."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

needajob in Chicago, Illinois

25 months ago

I've been out of school for nearly 3 years and I still haven't been able to find a FULL-TIME position. Every job that I've had since graduation has been part-time and no in my field of study. All retail/ customer service industries.
I completed a few internships when I was an undergrad, but too much time has past for those experiences to be relevant.

I agree with Yep, try to find something else to do. I volunteer about five hours a week. Job search for about another 20 hours. It seems like there aren't any jobs available. I look and look, but cannot find any that I feel comfortable enough applying to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No Reply - Report abuse

Larry in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

25 months ago

The reason why unemployment is so low is because people are running out of unemployment and no longer counted, it hurts the stock market if the *real* unemployment number was made public…..lets not forget that our GOV wants to act like everything is sunshine and roses at 8.3%. The accurate number is very close to 20%.
I hate my current job but it pays almost $30 an hour so for now I will just keep my lips zipped and be friendly with the boss(es) :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dd in Baltimore, Maryland

25 months ago

dddd

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

25 months ago

The accurate number of people who are not making enough money to make ends meet is more like 50%++

A clerk at Target is technically employed, but $10/hr isn't going to help him/her buy a house, pay off their school loan, or support a child.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Stacy in Slidell, Louisiana

17 months ago

Larry in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: The reason why unemployment is so low is because people are running out of unemployment and no longer counted, it hurts the stock market if the *real* unemployment number was made public…..lets not forget that our GOV wants to act like everything is sunshine and roses at 8.3%. The accurate number is very close to 20%.
I hate my current job but it pays almost $30 an hour so for now I will just keep my lips zipped and be friendly with the boss(es) :(

Oh ya!! Don't let that one slip from your grasp. Don't end up like me...jobless. I feel like such an idiot. I've spend years in school and applied to tons of jobs. Not ONE call back, not ONE interview, not ONE person willing to go out on a limb for me. I graduated college in December 2011, now it's the end of Oct. 12. It's almost been a year now. I've been looking for a job as much as I can now, but no luck. I feel horrible. Almost everyone from my graduating class have gotten jobs. I'm applying EVERYWHERE. ALL OVER the United States. I have a 3.5 month old baby. I don't want to move, but I'm willing to. So, ya. Don't end up like me. Keep that job, even if it sucks. I'd get a retirement plan/401 K and suck it up there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stacy in Slidell, Louisiana

17 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: The accurate number of people who are not making enough money to make ends meet is more like 50%++

A clerk at Target is technically employed, but $10/ hr isn't going to help him/her buy a house, pay off their school loan, or support a child.

So true. My husband makes $11/hr, I'm unemployed, and we have a son. It's very hard. We have government assistance now. Trust me, we didn't spend years in college and $20,000 in student loans to have foodstamps and WIC. I NEVER wanted that for myself. I always wanted to be independent and have a good career. I'm so depressed about it. I didn't even apply for foodstamps until I really realized that the only way we were buying food was because my in laws have given us like $100 on 5 separate occasions for food. We tried not to take it, we tried to give it back, we had nothing though. We accepted it. One day hopefully I can get the job I've been waiting for to change our lives. One day I will pay them back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ben Williams in Salt Lake City, Utah

14 months ago

Talk about a real nightmare. I graduated a year ago and still have not been able to land a full-time job in the field I studied and have interned in. An internship I recently applied for, entry level right, was taken by an individual with " years of experience ", or at least that is what the HR woman told me. For recent graduates like myself It is a paradox when entry level positions require 2+ years of experience and a degree ? What is the best way to get the relevant experience ? Like I said, a real nightmare to think that my student loan that I used in order to avoid being strapped for cash working part time sub $10/hour jobs, won't go to sleep and wait till I get a solid job. I need to wake up and figure it out because I am having a hard time making sense of it. I know there is a lot that I could, and need to change, i.e. where I am looking and how I am presenting my self via cover letters and resume's, but it is not easy to continue to re-invent and re-draft documents for good looking jobs after going unnoticed and or turned down for nearly a year. All I have control over is my attitude and if anyone has some positive vibes and or constructive criticism to share, that would help me and probably others in my same boat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

DesertSunrise in Michigan

14 months ago

Ben, I graduated back in April and still haven't been able to find a decent job. You are not the only one. I worry that with all the new grads coming in May, my chances of finding a job in my field are even lower. Why would someone pick a person who's only worked retail since graduating over a fresh new grad?
I try not to think college was a waste of time, money and effort, but everything that's happened to me since I've graduated has pointed towards this. I honestly wish I hadn't gone. I would be in the same situation I am now, just without the ever increasing interest loans.
Oh, and I totally understand the ridiculous entry level job requirements. All of the entry level jobs in my field require 2-3 years of experience. It's absolutely ridiculous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

14 months ago

How much is your student loan ?

At this point take anything you can find.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Sycamore, Illinois

14 months ago

DesertSunrise in Michigan said: Ben, I graduated back in April and still haven't been able to find a decent job. You are not the only one. I worry that with all the new grads coming in May, my chances of finding a job in my field are even lower. Why would someone pick a person who's only worked retail since graduating over a fresh new grad?
I try not to think college was a waste of time, money and effort, but everything that's happened to me since I've graduated has pointed towards this. I honestly wish I hadn't gone. I would be in the same situation I am now, just without the ever increasing interest loans.
Oh, and I totally understand the ridiculous entry level job requirements. All of the entry level jobs in my field require 2-3 years of experience. It's absolutely ridiculous.

I'm in a similar situation. It's been said here elsewhere many times, but "entry level" now means experienced but willing to take entry-level wages. It's a tactic to bid the wage down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

Jake in Sycamore, Illinois said: I'm in a similar situation. It's been said here elsewhere many times, but "entry level" now means experienced but willing to take entry-level wages. It's a tactic to bid the wage down.

Read Robert Reich's, "Aftershock". Right now supply exceeds demand and we are actually "bidding" on what few jobs there are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

14 months ago

Ben Williams in Salt Lake City, Utah said: All I have control over is my attitude and if anyone has some positive vibes and or constructive criticism to share, that would help me and probably others in my same boat.

2 words, truck driving.

Driving the big dog on the open road calling home a new town everyday. Fine dining and attractive women at truck stops with names such as Travel America and the Big Top. Are you excited yet?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Average in Medford, Massachusetts

14 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Read Robert Reich's, "Aftershock". Right now supply exceeds demand and we are actually "bidding" on what few jobs there are.
Nonsense! If you had gone to medical school, or into nursing you'd be fine by now.

There only a few real choices for a stable income in this economy. You can either be a pharmacist, nurse, or teacher.

As for taking out large loans to go to school, that makes many employers, especially those who require you to handle money or merchandise to look at you as A potential crook. Any job worth having requires that someone trust you with something valuable, and if you are in debt, employers think you might have a reason to steal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

Average in Medford, Massachusetts said:

There only a few real choices for a stable income in this economy. You can either be a pharmacist, nurse, or teacher.

This will produce a stable income in the short term but not a stable economy. Health care is currently a growth industry but its not enough to fuel growth in a global economy no more so than growing your own corn is.

Read the book.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Sycamore, Illinois

14 months ago

The problem with healthcare & education is that we already spend too much on both sectors as a % of aggregate national income. This isn't to say anything about outcomes - only in terms of spending. Our public healthcare programs, like Medicare, Medicaid, and CHIP (which it should be noted have a FAR lower rate of overhead than the private healthcare sector) already spend more, as a percentage of GDP, than other advanced economies spend on their entire healthcare sector - public and private. And they cover everyone, while we're still going to leave about 15-20 million uninsured under the auspices of the ACA and the private health insurance markets.

With education, we spend a ridiculous amount of money per capita AND per pupil, both in primary & secondary school systems (where we mandate access to school for everyone) and the post-secondary system (where we have varying levels of selectivity to access). Especially compared to developing nations like India and China, where they're already graduating more from college than we are (in raw numbers, not percent of population), our education system is significantly over-invested. That sounds perverse given our poor outcomes, but in terms of dollar investment - both in raw figures and percent of GDP - education spending here is WAY high. To say nothing about demographic pressures on the downside.

All this is to say that healthcare & education are not going to remain growth industries for much longer. Increases in employment beyond national trend implies either of two things - increased spending above trend, or wages below trend. Spending above trend is not sustainable, so wages below trend will occur. Healthcare reform "bent the cost curve" & will reduce healthcare spending as a % of GDP over the coming decades. That means either reduced jobs or reduced wages. Education reform is coming, either from the left or right, but it IS coming because some form of cost curve bending is needed in that sector as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Sweden

14 months ago

The unemployment rate in Sweden is currently extremely high. I can give you a couple of happy endings. Here are six good stories about people who all have in common that they struggled until they got a job after they graduate from college:

My friend “Marcus” graduated in 2007 with a B.A in politics and economics. He wanted a career in government but the economical crisis was eminent. He worked as a salesman for 2-3 years. He learned that there was a demand for people with a social science degrees but a deeper knowledge of statistics. He entered a two year long university program in statistics. Through the university he got ten weeks internship at a prestige governmental agency. He spent most of the time applying for jobs in that field. He quite his internship after just a month and got a year contract at governmental agency producing statistics. Through his just one year experience he got a job as social insurance officer at local government office. It is not a dream job but he makes 50k a year plus benefits.

My friend “Lars” graduated in 2005 with MA in economics. He drove a cab for four years and was also partly unemployed and lived on social welfare. In 2010 he took another Masters in statistics and by 2011 he was hired as an “expert” at a governmental agency. He says he never gave up. Now he makes 60k a year and looks happy all the time.

My friend “Lisa” graduated with an MA in politics in 2009. She was unemployed for more than a year until she got full time job as a social worker. Now she works at “better” government agency, doing pretty much the same job but makes more money and she the beginning of a career.

My friend “Jim” took a B.A in physiotherapy in 2010. He was unemployed and work as warehouse worker for more than a year. Just recently he was unemployed as consult and makes now 60k a year with good benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Sweden

14 months ago

My friend “Jay” took a MA in Architecture in 2009. He worked as a salesperson for more than year until he finally got a job as an architect at a local municipality.

My friend “Paul” also took a B.A in physiotherapy in 2010. He has been lucky to get part time jobs in his field and have never really faced unemployment but never had full time job. Recently he was hired for 75 percent indefinitely. He also got 25 percent at his former university as research assistant and is now writing on his MA thesis. It is now only a matter of time until he is "home free".

I have many other friends in all kind of fields that just graduate and got “straight” inside. They know nothing about struggling. I have also some sad cases.

My friend “Rebecca” graduated in 2011 with BA in sociology and theology. After a couple of months in unemployment she got a job as secretary but it was full time and paid enough. She lost it after a couple of months because of downsizes. Now she studies some courses at the university, apply for jobs as a secretary and do very short internships when she has the chance. She is “too young to hire”. Though, she is young and it is only a matter of time until she is hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Sweden

14 months ago

The last sad story is about me.

I graduate with a B.A in politics in 2008. I was admitted to a teacher training college. I dropped off after one semester. I just did not want to become a high school teacher “just get a job”. I entered a B.A program in sociology. I could use some of my extended courses so shorten it down considerably. I was also admitted to a MA program. My plan was to leave the university with a B.A in sociology and a MA in politics. I planned to read both these two programs in 2-3 years. My life was going quite nicely and I was ready for some “hard work”.

In the first weeks in my MA program I became a father to sweet child with a woman I only had dated for a very short while. She put some hard effort to help me fail my studies. I will not go into details, because it is a horror, but in eight semesters, three of them just went to retake courses. Since seven months or so things work out fairly fine between us.

In 2011 I graduated with a B.A in sociology. In 2012 I entered six month long highly prestigious internship. I worked pretty much every weekend just to be “on top”. In the end of my internship, the senior director went to the chief director and asked her if I could stay as Jr. Investigator. She said no because of orders “straight from the top” that no personal would be hired this year because extreme financial difficulties.

I got some good references and a “letter of recommendation”. Now I have been unemployed for less than two weeks and until now I have been ill in the flu. Yes, I’m still not finished with my MA thesis yet – mostly because of all the work I put into this internship and because of what happened before my internship.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Average in Everett, Massachusetts

14 months ago

Were those suppose to be stories suppose to be ironic, Mark? Over in America, most of your friends would have to go into teaching or remain unemployed because their educations would have no value in our job market. In America we have a glut of architects, and wanna-be bureaucrats.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Linköping, Sweden

14 months ago

Average in Everett, Massachusetts said: Were those suppose to be stories suppose to be ironic, Mark? Over in America, most of your friends would have to go into teaching or remain unemployed because their educations would have no value in our job market. In America we have a glut of architects, and wanna-be bureaucrats.

It was just some examples. Most of my friends with professional degrees in nursing, education, engineering, accounting, law and medicine got their first professional job with maximum a few months in unemployment. For most of them it took just a couple of weeks. Before the crisis a B.A or a MA degree in social science was a ticket to a reasonably paid and secure job in government. The European bureaucracy is much larger then in America, Australia or New Zealand. The good thing with America is that you have entry level jobs. Here, they are non-existent. Times are changing and in a few years one of these social sciences degrees will also be worth nothing here if the economy does not turn back in positive direction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

Mark in Linköping, Sweden said: It was just some examples. Most of my friends with professional degrees in nursing, education, engineering, accounting, law and medicine got their first professional job with maximum a few months in unemployment. For most of them it took just a couple of weeks. Before the crisis a B.A or a MA degree in social science was a ticket to a reasonably paid and secure job in government. The European bureaucracy is much larger then in America, Australia or New Zealand. The good thing with America is that you have entry level jobs. Here, they are non-existent. Times are changing and in a few years one of these social sciences degrees will also be worth nothing here if the economy does not turn back in positive direction.

A degree in the social sciences or liberal arts is already worthless in America.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dave055 in California

13 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: A degree in the social sciences or liberal arts is already worthless in America.

I agree and am beginning to feel same about about a bachelors in Civil Engineering. Without a MS degree or specific work experience in the field, it seems impossible to start anywhere in the United States. E.I.T/FE certification does not seem to make a difference. This engineering field is just over saturated with newly grads and of course the recession makes it worst. I've picked up odd jobs, but have technically been unemployed for over a year since graduation. Two worthless interviews after 100 application. How unfortunate that I don't speak other languages fluently, otherwise I could try applying abroad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Average in Medford, Massachusetts

13 months ago

Dave055 in California said: I agree and am beginning to feel same about about a bachelors in Civil Engineering. Without a MS degree or specific work experience in the field, it seems impossible to start anywhere in the United States. E.I.T/FE certification does not seem to make a difference. This engineering field is just over saturated with newly grads and of course the recession makes it worst. I've picked up odd jobs, but have technically been unemployed for over a year since graduation. Two worthless interviews after 100 application. How unfortunate that I don't speak other languages fluently, otherwise I could try applying abroad.

I'm not sure if the engineering field is saturated. I think maybe civil engineering is, because of the dearth of economic activity to support the construction of new buildings or to support infrastructure maintenance. I'm afraid that a lot of our infrastructure is a product of a bygone era when there was less competition for petroleum than there is now. As demand and global consumption of petroleum increases, the interstate highways and the gas-guzzling suvs that populate them begin to look more and more like liabilities than assets.

To get back to my point, civil engineering was never considered in-demand. This is a fact I encountered a few years ago while researching. It's other engineering disciplines that are desirable. Chemical, computer, and mechanical engineering.

At least you have a useful skillset. Now, you just have to move to a country that is actually investing in its infrastructure and has respect for civil engineers. You can forget about India. India is notorious for not giving civil engineers respect. And that is one of the reasons why their infrastructure is in shambles. In India, software engineers and other kinds of engineers are paid much better than civil engineers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mep in Sunnyvale, California

13 months ago

Jake in Sycamore, Illinois said: I'm in a similar situation. It's been said here elsewhere many times, but "entry level" now means experienced but willing to take entry-level wages. It's a tactic to bid the wage down.

I'm also in a similar situation. I graduated last June 2013 with MS in Applied Mathematics.

Sadly, out of at least 100 jobs I applied for, I only got 2 offers.

One offer was for an unpaid, part-time internship that has similar work to my current volunteer job (that has NO relation to my degree). The choice came down to...pay $15/day for transportation to the internship company or get delicious free food and better commute time at the volunteer place. (Yes, there were other factors in that decision.)

The other offer was to write solutions for textbooks. At $8/problem, I spent approximately 2-4 hours on each problem plus an extra 30min to an hour to write it up on Word. It just wasn't worth the extra stress.

So, yes, entry-level or not, many companies are willing to take advantage of those who are in desperate need of a job. Please don't make the mistakes I made, although I learned A LOT from them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mep in Sunnyvale, California

13 months ago

Mep in Sunnyvale, California said: I'm also in a similar situation. I graduated last June 2013 with MS in Applied Mathematics.

Sadly, out of at least 100 jobs I applied for, I only got 2 offers.

One offer was for an unpaid, part-time internship that has similar work to my current volunteer job (that has NO relation to my degree). The choice came down to...pay $15/day for transportation to the internship company or get delicious free food and better commute time at the volunteer place. (Yes, there were other factors in that decision.)

The other offer was to write solutions for textbooks. At $8/problem, I spent approximately 2-4 hours on each problem plus an extra 30min to an hour to write it up on Word. It just wasn't worth the extra stress.

So, yes, entry-level or not, many companies are willing to take advantage of those who are in desperate need of a job. Please don't make the mistakes I made, although I learned A LOT from them.

Sorry, I don't think there's a "modify post" button. The first position, I was not told of what the job description was until the interview. The job posting only stated the job title.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

nate in Billings, Montana

13 months ago

one problem seems to be everyone getting liberal arts bachelors. Why dont anyone here go into a tech field or the trades? thats where the money is at these days...sure its hard work and you dont sit all day but better than driving cabs and making crap cash. I am going int process plant tech good degree for refineries/chemical plants.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Keith in Sheffield Lake, Ohio

13 months ago

I'm in the tech field. I have a Bachelor of Electrical Engineer degree. Not everyone in this field can get a job, me being one of them. In fact I have given up. Six full years of college down the toilet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

nate in Billings, Montana

13 months ago

wow interesting...why dont you look into some oil jobs in north dakota? or maybe in canada

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Shadow421 in Deerfield Beach, Florida

13 months ago

Keith, you shouldn't give up. You've got a degree that is definitely worth something. But you may want to consider leaving Ohio. I'm not sure what the unemployment rate is up there, but I've heard that a lot of businesses are leaving that state. The company I used to work for came down here from Ohio.

Another thing I have noticed is that there are a lot of job listings that have engineering degree as a requirement for jobs where there is no engineering involved. They just want someone with a strong technical background. I guess because we're smarter and quick learners...just kidding. It could also be that they are trying to weed people out. Not too many people in the market that are unemployed and have engineering degrees. So that's my 2 cents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shadow421 in Deerfield Beach, Florida

13 months ago

nate, while people with technical backgrounds are less likely to be unemployed then people with non technical backgrounds, the problem is not just people with liberal arts degrees or some other soft science degree. The problem really is over saturation. Once upon a time, a person with a degree, regardless of the area of study, was almost guaranteed a good job with a high income and benefits. Those jobs still exist, there just aren't enough of them to keep up with number of graduates entering the market each year.

It used to be rare for a business to find a college graduate applying for an open position. And that person usually rose through the ranks rather quickly. Now, college graduates are a dime a dozen. You'll probably notice that employers are now requiring master's degrees for jobs that used to require only a bachelor's. Either that or they require that you went to an IVY league school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

13 months ago

Shadow421 in Deerfield Beach, Florida said: nate, while people with technical backgrounds are less likely to be unemployed then people with non technical backgrounds, the problem is not just people with liberal arts degrees or some other soft science degree. The problem really is over saturation. Once upon a time, a person with a degree, regardless of the area of study, was almost guaranteed a good job with a high income and benefits. Those jobs still exist, there just aren't enough of them to keep up with number of graduates entering the market each year.

It used to be rare for a business to find a college graduate applying for an open position. And that person usually rose through the ranks rather quickly. Now, college graduates are a dime a dozen. You'll probably notice that employers are now requiring master's degrees for jobs that used to require only a bachelor's. Either that or they require that you went to an IVY league school.

Its called Qualification Inflation. The degree AND requiring additional certifications, licenses or just red hair and green eyes, limits the applicant pool.

My brother was hired right out of high school by Ma Bell. He retired 32 years later and never went to college. Ancient History now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Kansas City, Missouri

13 months ago

I think you're observations are spot on. There still isn't any significant demand for civil engineers, despite our economy 'officially' being in recovery mode for a couple of years now. The work simply isn't there. Most other engineers aren't having too much trouble finding work at the moment though. There would seem to be demand for this niche industry in emerging economies, but not the US or the developed world currently. The money isn't there to support big infrastructure projects, whether it's from private or public funding. And many western governments are hell bent on cutting budgets, rather than increasing infrastucture investments. The work is coming back when compared to the depths of the recent severe recession, but it's nowhere near fast enough to bring the industry back up to where it used to be prior to the recession, and re-employ all the civil engineers that were either laid off or forced to switch careers in order to stay employed. Add to that the thousands of college graduates that enter the work force every year, just in civil engineering alone, and you clearly have an oversaturated market. This is rather obvious when reading recent job postings for civil engineers. These companies want people at bare bottom salaries with an exceptional high level of qualifications that literally would have been impossible to find only 5 years ago at the salaries being offered. But now they are a dime a dozen. PE license, Masters degree, 10+ years experience, advanced user in a multitude of software programs - you can get all these rolled up in one person for below average industry salaries. And the civil engineer in question can either take the offer or remain unemployed. However, this is not true for most other engineering specialties. Qualified electrical, mechanical, petroleum, computer, and software engineers are now apparently becoming very difficult to find.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

guialera in Henderson, Nevada

11 months ago

I'm pretty much in the same situation and have been unemployed for almost a year. I graduated last summer with a BS in biology and have applied to dozens of positions but have only had one interview and many rejections. I kept hearing STEM graduates were in demand and was naive that I would land a job in 6 months. Many of the positions I have applied require you to have specific techniques already mastered and at least 1+ years of experience even though the positions are entry level. I've been pretty depressed about my situation because my friends have yet graduated and judge me every time I tell them I am still unemployed and even scuffed at the idea that I was interviewing for retail jobs. Funny thing is I worked in retail while in college and these are the only jobs I pretty much can get interviews for. I'm glad I found this thread and know I'm not alone in this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Birmingham, Alabama

11 months ago

guialera in Henderson, Nevada said: I'm pretty much in the same situation and have been unemployed for almost a year. I graduated last summer with a BS in biology and have applied to dozens of positions but have only had one interview and many rejections. I kept hearing STEM graduates were in demand and was naive that I would land a job in 6 months. Many of the positions I have applied require you to have specific techniques already mastered and at least 1+ years of experience even though the positions are entry level. I've been pretty depressed about my situation because my friends have yet graduated and judge me every time I tell them I am still unemployed and even scuffed at the idea that I was interviewing for retail jobs. Funny thing is I worked in retail while in college and these are the only jobs I pretty much can get interviews for. I'm glad I found this thread and know I'm not alone in this.

I graduated with a BS in biology in 2009. I tell biology majors now that they're much better off going into a health profession. A lot of applied science fields are oversaturated; there are too many grads and not enough jobs. I have friends with masters degrees in biology who ended up having to go back to trade school or community college to get a completely-unrelated career going. One is a chef now.

I was only able to get a retail job after graduating. It was horrid, but it was all I could find. I'm back looking now, and it'll probably be retail or fast food this time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

guialera in Henderson, Nevada

11 months ago

Anonymous in Birmingham, Alabama said: I graduated with a BS in biology in 2009. I tell biology majors now that they're much better off going into a health profession. A lot of applied science fields are oversaturated; there are too many grads and not enough jobs. I have friends with masters degrees in biology who ended up having to go back to trade school or community college to get a completely-unrelated career going. One is a chef now.

I was only able to get a retail job after graduating. It was horrid, but it was all I could find. I'm back looking now, and it'll probably be retail or fast food this time.

That's what I feared. I was actually accepted into a Master's program for biology but with no guaranteed funding so I would be responsible for out of state tuition and living expenses. This meant taking out student loans and I heard the same thing as your friends about career prospects after graduate school and didn't want to be stuck with debt and working in completely unrelated job.

Thank you for this comment because I've gotten advice from people in their 40's and I don't think they understand how bad it currently is for recent graduates. Someone actually told me to accept the Master's offer and take on the student loans because she could see me earning $60,000 after graduating O_O. I'm glad I didn't take their advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

Why take on more debt with a Master's if you can't even find a job with a Bachelor's degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anon in Birmingham, Alabama

11 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: Why take on more debt with a Master's if you can't even find a job with a Bachelor's degree.

guialera in Henderson, Nevada said: That's what I feared. I was actually accepted into a Master's program for biology but with no guaranteed funding so I would be responsible for out of state tuition and living expenses. This meant taking out student loans and I heard the same thing as your friends about career prospects after graduate school and didn't want to be stuck with debt and working in completely unrelated job.

I've been accepted to several grad schools. I'm actually working on my master's now, but I decided to just look for a summer job and transfer to a CLS program. The school I'm in for my master's has basically told me they have no funding (all my "funding" will be loans to the tune of $100,000 for out-of-state tuition). I'm just not motivated anymore; after four years, it seems like nothing is working, but I'm trying to find motivation to start the CLS program in the Fall. So what you may want to do is try to get a MS in a health profession (like CLS, occupational therapy, health administration, genetic counseling, etc.) or just go to pharm/med/vet school. It's a lot of debt, but it's much more promising than continuing on in rote science. I guess I'm still having a hard time because I think I'm permanently afraid because of this hell I've been going through the last four years. I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever be able to get on track and have a somewhat decent life.

An alternative could be to just go to trade school or community college and get an associate's in a health profession. Many times you do the same work as someone with a master's, and you often earn the same amount of money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

Sometimes getting a master's helps you, but sometimes it doesn't. At this point, I know only one person who pursued his MS (in my field) and found a job. It just depends on how much risk you want to take. There are articles galore about how there are no jobs for scientists, yet everyone still thinks scientists are the most easily-employed people out there. After getting a bachelor's, I think most are better off going another route. Environmental science, environmental management and public health are better graduate degrees to get, I believe. (I think the best thing to do is to go the health professions route, like I mentioned above.) Part of the problem is that many students and professors don't realize how it is out here until they find themselves out here. Many end up back in school because their bachelor's degree has aged, and the only way to keep it "alive" is to become more educated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

11 months ago

guialera in Henderson, Nevada said: Many of the positions I have applied require you to have specific techniques already mastered and at least 1+ years of experience even though the positions are entry level.

Yeah, you kind of have to hit it just right, and it's definitely a moving target.

We like to pretend that success / failure is all about gumption, drive and effort. To a point it's true but picking the right niche really matters too. You be the best ever at something in the STEM realm and not be able to make a penny from it just because, well, sometimes, just because.

Technology is the worst because what's hot today might not be tomorrow. And since they want experience, only in the tech, well, you often need to guess 5 years in advance of when you go looking for work.

Good luck man, I feel the pain.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

11 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said:

We like to pretend that success / failure is all about gumption, drive and effort. To a point it's true but picking the right niche really matters too. You be the best ever at something in the STEM realm and not be able to make a penny from it just because, well, sometimes, just because.......

Absolutely spot on and a very hard lesson I have learned in just this last year of unemployment. I wrongly believed what so many of us were taught; if you are willing to work just a little harder, learn another skill, work well with your co-workers, always be respectful to your boss, and just sacrifice a little more, you will stand apart and never be unemployed for long.

I am sort of relieved to know what I know now. It's not personal. It never was. But it sure stinks to be unemployed when you don't want to be. I wish I knew the secret to finding employment again and keeping it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

Check out the "Bachelors degree in Biology, what can you do with it?" thread. I've found that, in the few interviews I did get (before my degree got old), employers preferred someone who was trained over someone who wasn't. It makes sense, but it can exclude many new grads who don't have much lab experience. Even grads who do have experience may not have the type of experience for the kinds of lab jobs they are applying for.

I found it very difficult to even be accepted as a volunteer, because you inevitably take up time and money. I also found that many labs were already saturated with students and couldn't take on "extras."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hurrikane4eva@yahoo in Miami, Florida

9 months ago

Larry in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: The reason why unemployment is so low is because people are running out of unemployment and no longer counted, it hurts the stock market if the *real* unemployment number was made public…..lets not forget that our GOV wants to act like everything is sunshine and roses at 8.3%. The accurate number is very close to 20%.

hi Larry, is your job currently doing any hiring? Im in the South Fl area and placed in this same situation...smh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Elaine in Orange, California

9 months ago

It's nice to know there are others who are struggling to find unemployment. I have a B.A. In criminal justice, fell in love with teaching and decided to go back to school for my credential and M.A. In Education. I was substitute teaching, but was not getting called that often to sub, so only making a few extra bucks here and there. Been looking for a year, and I have had no luck with getting an interview in any position. I've applied to different jobs anywhere from pharmaceutical sales to retail, and no luck. Finally, just recently landed a part-time job in real estate only because a friend referred me. With 100k in debt from student loans I feel worthless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Elaine in Orange, California

9 months ago

Oops I meant employment...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

I had to work 2 part-time jobs for 3 years so I could pay my bills, I eventually found a good full-time job with benefits. I takes a lot of time to find something.

I do agree the UE # is around 15-17 %.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

tough90zx in Raleigh

9 months ago

I graduated from college in June of 2008 and had to move back in with my parents because the job market was abysmal. I searched for almost 4 months before I found a job and it was a 6 month contract position. I remember what it was like. "This too shall pass."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

Doesn't that part of NC have a decent job market ?

What is your degree in?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

tough90zx in Raleigh

9 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: Doesn't that part of NC have a decent job market ?

What is your degree in?

Yes, the job market in Raleigh is decent. I was living in Greensboro at the time which is a much different story. Thankfully that is water under the bridge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.