Have you lost confidence in your abilities like I have?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 601)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

73 months ago

I have worked in the call centers on and off since 1983. Most of my experience has been with these outbound telemarketing service agencies and market research firms.

Back in the 1980's, there were plenty of these jobs available. However, most of them have now disappeared. I personally believe that the Do-Not-Call list has put a lot of these places out of business. And I know that most of these American companies now have outsourced their call center jobs overseas to either India or the The Philippines.

In 2004, I found myself at a career crossroads. I couldn't decide whether I wanted to just simply get out of the call centers or to seek clerical work. It was hard. But the next year, I took up freelance writing.

My skills are transferable into other industries. So the answer is no. I haven't lost confidence in the abilities that I have. I'll just keep on looking for the right jobs.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

62 months ago

Checking credit for temp jobs? The indicators in the job market have to be going off as way overboard when employers require credit checks on temp employees. Something has got to give soon when craziness like this is going on.

Reply - Report abuse

Swanwood in Tucson, Arizona

60 months ago

OldandSad in Saddle Brook, New Jersey said: After two years of not having a full time job and many rejections after interviews, I can honestly say I have lost confidence in my ability to work again. I'm not even going to try to fight this feeling nor deny the truth. I do not give off an intelligent enough vibe to hire me. And I have worked with the cesspool of humanity to learn that it takes a sleazy backstabbing liar to make it in the work force! I am afraid to work again! There, I said it. Why should I want to work again when they probably will let me go in no time. I might as well just get an easy retail job or become a driver. Oh, that's right. The retailers won't hire me either! So where does that leave me? LOL! I honestly don't know!

Have you lost confidence in yourself since you have been laid off?

It's a brutal world!

I feel exactly the same way! I'm too "nice" for the workaday world. You have to be willing to do anything to get ahead. Sigh!

Reply - Report abuse

madhatter in North Hollywood, California

60 months ago

OldandSad in Saddle Brook, New Jersey said: After two years of not having a full time job and many rejections after interviews, I can honestly say I have lost confidence in my ability to work again. I'm not even going to try to fight this feeling nor deny the truth. I do not give off an intelligent enough vibe to hire me. And I have worked with the cesspool of humanity to learn that it takes a sleazy backstabbing liar to make it in the work force! I am afraid to work again! There, I said it. Why should I want to work again when they probably will let me go in no time. I might as well just get an easy retail job or become a driver. Oh, that's right. The retailers won't hire me either! So where does that leave me? LOL! I honestly don't know!

Have you lost confidence in yourself since you have
been laid off?I

It's a brutal world!

I too felt exactly like you do. Thought about disabilit but don't have health insurance. I have a tremor and the stress made it worse. Felt pretty useless. My son pointed out I was good with kids so now I'm a professional babysitter. 15 an hour cash. Work for myself. My hours and choose who I will work for. Give it a thought .

Reply - Report abuse

Yep in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

60 months ago

A little part of me has lost some confidence, every time I get turned down for a job I can't help but ask myself. "What's wrong with me?, Am I not skilled enough, outgoing enough, dedicated enough, what am I not doing?" I keep my spirit up by doing one new project every month and learning new skills, but its hard to keep going.

Reply - Report abuse

MATT in Loch Sheldrake, New York

60 months ago

It's a brutal world!

you go after the good jobs that your qualified for. however, they seem to look for perfection during the interview. and the funny thing is that the people interviewing you aren't that polished but they expect you to be in your answers. so yes it is very depressing when you don't get the job. you lose confidence and it shows during the next interview.

so then you look at the jobs that are a step down from your abilities but i can't get myself to apply to them because i know i should be working a "good" job. it's an awful feeling and the clock is ticking since the longer your unemployed the less attractive you are to employers, not to mention your unemployment is running out.

Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

I wouldn't say I've lost confidence in my abilities and skills. I would maybe say I've lost confidence in being able to land another job in the field in which I have experience. I get called in to interview, more so lately, with an upcoming interview at a fourth firm in three months, but I just am obviously not getting hired.

Reply - Report abuse

Roberta in Fairfax, Virginia

60 months ago

I am in the same boat as everyone else...continuously trying with no result. I have horrible credit due to student loans I'll never be able to pay off in my lifetime. All in collections. All making me miserable. Ive never earned enough to make even minimum payments on these loans. I have been through the final interview stages of two jobs, preliminary interviews for 4 others. Gotten no offers. I'm waiting on news from two right now. I'm sure I won't get those either. I went into debt trying to get an education to get a good job. Those loans ruined my life so I can't get a job at all. You would think I'm trying to get a job in a bank or insurance or high powered business job...no, im trying to get a job at a make up counter. These stOres aren't telling me this is the issue, but I'm sure it is. Im overqualified for these typesof sales jobs.

Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Cary, NC

60 months ago

Maybe so people are having trouble finding a job due to age, bad credit, lack of experience, long term unemployment... etc.
I have been out of work for 6 months a its really bad around here

Reply - Report abuse

nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

60 months ago

I took a job recently merchandising for Acosta. Both the recruiter and my now boss said about 5 times "it's not a lot of money." And it isn't...$12/hr, which while not minimum wage, is barely enough for me to live off of.

You know what they're oblivious to? There are many things besides pay, that this job does for me...that are more important than pay. I'm no longer unemployed. The unemployment gap stops, and all of the places auto-rejecting me because of my gap stop with it.

That in itself is huge, these days. The longer you're out, the more likely it is that you're going to stay out.

Reply - Report abuse

nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

60 months ago

And I'm firmly convinced that employers who use filters on their applications, have now added a filter that auto-rejects anyone without work experience that is dated 2011. By June, they will be filtering anyone who has a resume without 2012 experience. So if you've been out for a year or two, good luck...you'll need it.

Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

You're probably close to being right, Nick.

I sometimes think I'll never be able to get another job, especially in my field.

I'd take something like you took as a stop gap, but once you start doing something like that I have to wonder if employers in your desired field will look at you any more since you're not working in that field. Sort of a Catch-22 if you see my point.

Also, once you have a gap, the gap is there forever and will need to be explained at every interview. Just because you get a stop gap job doesn't put you into the clear as to that gap.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

60 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: You're probably close to being right, Nick.

I sometimes think I'll never be able to get another job, especially in my field.

I'd take something like you took as a stop gap, but once you start doing something like that I have to wonder if employers in your desired field will look at you any more since you're not working in that field. Sort of a Catch-22 if you see my point.

Also, once you have a gap, the gap is there forever and will need to be explained at every interview. Just because you get a stop gap job doesn't put you into the clear as to that gap.

The older the gap, the less relevant it becomes. I had one in 1996 and another in 2009. The one in 2009 was a killer. That's when I got off the Internet and started applying to small companies - those with less than 100 employees. It was still tough but it eventually filled "the gap".

It was also that I learned never to become too complacent. No job is forever anymore.

I agree that many (large) companies won't touch you if your gap is longer than a few months. They just find someone whose "qualifications and experience are a better match".

Reply - Report abuse

Career Coach Julie in Jacksonville, Florida

60 months ago

Hi All--

I'm sorry to hear your frustrations and feel your pain. I was laid off in both 2008 and 2010 and went through all the turnmoil and emotions you are feeling.

You may be doing these things already, but to get that competitive edge--try to spend more time networking than surfing the job boards. You may hear of a position before it's even posted or have that first in with a posted job. Also, if you see something on a job board, see if you can find a way in to HR or the hiring manager directly (in addition to applying online)through your network or LinkedIn or company research. Finally, you can fill gaps on your resume with volunteer project, leadership, positions that you can bullet point and show accomplishments just like a job--that might help as well.

Most of all, get out of the house! I tended to become a "homebody" because I was down, felt I needed to spend the time job hunting, was embarrassed and didn't want to be asked about my job search, but when I forced myself to go out with friends, go network, or go to a "support" group of job hunters, I felt better, renewed, and stronger to fight the fight.

Empowered to Achieve Career and Business Coaching
www.empoweredtoachieve.com

Reply - Report abuse

garet in London, United Kingdom

60 months ago

I have the same feeling about losing confidence. It's so bad now to the point that I study for my job interviews from the moment I get off the phone until the minute I am heading to the place where I'll be going for the interview. At my interviews, I am not telling the truth about things and saying things I really shouldn't (lots of bad foolish answers), extreme nervousness, it's just a whole mess. Overall, just feel like pure crap. Side note, I really can't stand those annoying scripted HR dept questions that are still be asked today like 'describe a team leadership moment' or 'what do you see yourself doing in 5 yrs', or 'how do you motivate yourself'. These questions are so pathetic. Do these 'HR' people seriously think these ABC questions are going to determine anythingt?
Yes i am feeling bitter.....

Reply - Report abuse

kitty in Kirkland, Washington

60 months ago

garet in London, United Kingdom said: I have the same feeling about losing confidence. It's so bad now to the point that I study for my job interviews from the moment I get off the phone until the minute I am heading to the place where I'll be going for the interview. At my interviews, I am not telling the truth about things and saying things I really shouldn't (lots of bad foolish answers), extreme nervousness, it's just a whole mess. Overall, just feel like pure crap. Side note, I really can't stand those annoying scripted HR dept questions that are still be asked today like 'describe a team leadership moment' or 'what do you see yourself doing in 5 yrs', or 'how do you motivate yourself'. These questions are so pathetic. Do these 'HR' people seriously think these ABC questions are going to determine anythingt?
Yes i am feeling bitter.....

LOL...i was asked these 3 annoying questions in one single interview a week ago. The hiring managers were holding a list of questions to simply read them to me during the interview. Sigh...

Honestly i think if the employers think they can be picky considering the unemployment pool, please at least do some research to ask meaningful questions to find the greatest fit for your company. Asking that `seeing youserlf in 5 years' is silly if you know your opening is a boring job and expecting someone to stay there for long time with tons of qualification.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

60 months ago

kitty in Kirkland, Washington said: LOL...i was asked these 3 annoying questions in one single interview a week ago. The hiring managers were holding a list of questions to simply read them to me during the interview. Sigh...

Asking that `seeing youserlf in 5 years' is silly if you know your opening is a boring job and expecting someone to stay there for long time with tons of qualification.

Question: "Where do you see yourself in five years?"
Answer: "Well, if the company has not been bought or gone out of business in five years then I see myself right here".

Then don't say another word.

Reply - Report abuse

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

60 months ago

The 5 year question is stupid and outdated. No one can predict the future even though we work hard towards what we want. Many unexpected things can happen in that time. I'd like to ask these places if they plan on keeping an employee for 5 years.

Maybe a better answer would be to ask them where the company sees itself in 5 years. They had better have a good answer. I'll bet they stumble through that answer.

Reply - Report abuse

kitty in Seattle, Washington

60 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: The 5 year question is stupid and outdated. No one can predict the future even though we work hard towards what we want. Many unexpected things can happen in that time. I'd like to ask these places if they plan on keeping an employee for 5 years.

Maybe a better answer would be to ask them where the company sees itself in 5 years. They had better have a good answer. I'll bet they stumble through that answer.

Totally agree...However they still like to ask this question and want to see how `motivated you are. You know we should give them a `big picture' answer and followed up by `so how do you see your company goes in 5 years?'...Make it a two-way question!!

I highly hope the hiring manager will ask me `why should we hire you' or at least tell me what interested you most about my resume...but so far no one did that...

Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

I was once asked the 5 year question for a part time job that paid $8.00 an hour. The woman interviewing me knew that I was also going to school for a degree unrelated to that job. This would have been a job I was qualified for and would be good at, so that wasn't a problem.

Since she never offered full time work to anyone that worked for her, it wouldn't have gone anywhere. I had to be honest and say that I was going to school for graphic design and planned on using my degree in that field. Was I supposed to lie? It's not like her imitation stained glass business in the middle of nowhere was going to earn me a good living. She had to know that.

I no longer see her business there when I drive by that building. I bet her business went under.

I know why she asked me this question. Her background was in HR and that's probably one of the stupid questions she asked at her old job. Her loss, since I would have been very good at doing that job.

Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

60 months ago

I'd say that the majority of HRs are told what to ask, and don't even know why or how it applies to anything. HR seems to me to be a very "I do what my boss tells me" sort of gig. A lot of my interviews are zero personality from their end, asking me questions that they are required to ask, and "scoring" my answers.

I wish I could answer, "In 5 years, I envision myself doing your job. Because if this is how you do interviews, the position will be open by then or before."

Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

You are correct, but it's not easy to get down on yourself. I would like a brewery of my own. LOL

Ugh, today is one of those days!! I've had it.

Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

60 months ago

Heh, the first thing that changed when I got this job I have now, is my drinking has gone down from 4-5 nights a week to maybe twice. Saves money, saves my liver, I'm in favor.

Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Not having a job is enough to make me want to drink more. I think what stops me is all the extra calories would end up on my stomach and rear. It saves me money by not needing a bigger wardrobe. :D

Reply - Report abuse

Kevin

60 months ago

Spend that money on your kids and not on booze.

Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

I don't have kids, so neener neener. More booze for me!

Who cares what a person spends their money on.

Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Boston, Massachusetts

60 months ago

I don't have kids either, and never will until I can afford to take care of them.

Reply - Report abuse

Kevin

60 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: I don't have kids, so neener neener. More booze for me!

Who cares what a person spends their money on.

Too much booze leads to depression and marriage problems, not to mention you might slur your words during a job interview... which is a no-no if you are out of work. For some reason I thought you were slightly older, my bad.

Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Kevin said: Too much booze leads to depression and marriage problems, not to mention you might slur your words during a job interview... which is a no-no if you are out of work. For some reason I thought you were slightly older, my bad.

I am older. Not sure what you're getting at there. Old enough to know better and still young enough to do it anyway.

Who said anything about drinking before an interview? If that were the case, I guess I couldn't drive there either. Who would be that stupid?

So slurring your words during an interview is ok if you're NOT out of work but still looking? LOL

Too much booze can lead to a lot of things. Ever hear of moderation? Too much unemployment can lead to depression and marriage problems too for some people. These are stressful times.

Reply - Report abuse

Anders in Seattle, Washington

60 months ago

NOOOOO!!! I look down my long pointy nose at you for I AM SUPERIOR!!!

Reply - Report abuse

Kevin

60 months ago

designer bee,

Sorry, I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers with the comment about age or alcohol.

Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

No feathers ruffled at all. ;)

Reply - Report abuse

Pengwen in Las Vegas, Nevada

59 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: I'd say that the majority of HRs are told what to ask, and don't even know why or how it applies to anything. HR seems to me to be a very "I do what my boss tells me" sort of gig. A lot of my interviews are zero personality from their end, asking me questions that they are required to ask, and "scoring" my answers.

I wish I could answer, "In 5 years, I envision myself doing your job. Because if this is how you do interviews, the position will be open by then or before."

EXCELLENT! Give a snappy answer back.. Chances are, whatever you offer as an intelligent reply will be rebuked, given the stupidity of the question.

Reply - Report abuse

nancy in Redmond, Washington

53 months ago

OldandSad in Saddle Brook, New Jersey said: After two years of not having a full time job and many rejections after interviews, I can honestly say I have lost confidence in my ability to work again. I'm not even going to try to fight this feeling nor deny the truth. I do not give off an intelligent enough vibe to hire me. And I have worked with the cesspool of humanity to learn that it takes a sleazy backstabbing liar to make it in the work force! I am afraid to work again! There, I said it. Why should I want to work again when they probably will let me go in no time. I might as well just get an easy retail job or become a driver . Oh, that's right. The retailers won't hire me either! So where does that leave me? LOL! I honestly don't know!

It's a brutal world!

Lost Confidence? That flew out the door before my long term contract ended. I used to be an ambitious, hard working, competent and employable woman. Now? I'm too old, don't have the perfect skills, and am ready to give up. Serious thoughts about how to end this misery. I worked hard all my life. I kept trying even when hit with corporate downsizing not once but 4 times. It's like no matter what I have tried, no matter what good start I thought I had, politics and boardroom games killed me before I could ever get a foothold.
I feel like I may as well dive off a cliff.
To make it all worse, my spouse is so sick he says he can't work. He used to get constant calls from recruiters, but turned them all away with a hare brained idea that he ws going to make it in a creative endeavor -- assuming that my marketing skills would be enough to replace TWO lost incomes.
What a joke.

I serioulsy ready to jump off that cliff. There are no responses to any interviews.
I'm putting this out here because I'm anonymous. It's been a miserable 4 years and I"m plain sick of the anguish.

Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

53 months ago

nancy in Redmond, Washington said: Lost Confidence? That flew out the door before my long term contract ended. I used to be an ambitious, hard working, competent and employable woman. Now? I'm too old, don't have the perfect skills, and am ready to give up. Serious thoughts about how to end this misery. I worked hard all my life. I kept trying even when hit with corporate downsizing not once but 4 times. It's like no matter what I have tried, no matter what good start I thought I had, politics and boardroom games killed me before I could ever get a foothold.
To make it all worse, my spouse is so sick he says he can't work. He used to get constant calls from recruiters, but turned them all away with a hare brained idea that he ws going to make it in a creative endeavor -- assuming that my marketing skills would be enough to replace TWO lost incomes.
What a joke.

I serioulsy ready to jump off that cliff. There are no responses to any interviews.
I'm putting this out here because I'm anonymous. It's been a miserable 4 years and I"m plain sick of the anguish.

Wait don't jump yet. Is there any way you can take a large insurance policy out on hubby.

What you think?

Reply - Report abuse

parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

53 months ago

nancy in Redmond, Washington said: Lost Confidence? That flew out the door before my long term contract ended. I used to be an ambitious, hard working, competent and employable woman. Now? I'm too old, don't have the perfect skills, and am ready to give up. Serious thoughts about how to end this misery. I worked hard all my life. I kept trying even when hit with corporate downsizing not once but 4 times. It's like no matter what I have tried, no matter what good start I thought I had, politics and boardroom games killed me before I could ever get a foothold.
What a joke.

Try to hang in there. I hang by a thread on some days. Other days are better. We are talented people. There are millions of us. All we need is a chance.

Reply - Report abuse

K. Pedro in San Diego, California

53 months ago

Yes, I've definitely lost my confidence. I have a degree in engineering, and throughout college I was told there is a shortage of engineers. Since graduating about 2 years ago, I've had nothing. No interviews, no calls, nothing. Most posts require many years of experience. I rarely see an entry-level position, and half the time they require skills I never learned in school. No temporary jobs either. Retail positions won't even get back to me. All I have to show for my college experience is a growing pile of student loans, and I can't go back to school because I've too much loans as it is. I have no confidence that I'll ever be able to get a job in my field. I shouldn't, but I regret college because all it gave me was debt. To make matters worse, in my circle of friends and family, I only hear news of people getting laid off. I'm usually a very positive person, but after two years of nothing I feel like I'm finally breaking down. I've cried all night a few times after job hunting because now I don't believe I'll get a response and it makes me I feel like a failure.

The only thing keeping me from falling into a very dark place is staying active in sports. If you feel as I do, get involved in sports too. You'll probably still be depressed like me, but at least you'll have a temporary release.

Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

53 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Looking for a job is very much like "spanking the monkey". For the most part, you are only f**king yourself.

I am in a dark place and I dread people asking me what I am going to do for the Holidays. I am in no mood for any of kind of merriment this year. I just want to be left alone.

I know what you mean Blue. My folks roped me into joining them in Florida with my brother and his family around Christmas. I hate heat with a passion. I am not fond large groups of people as well.

Most people just do not get that some of us just like being alone much of the time.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

53 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: I know what you mean Blue. My folks roped me into joining them in Florida with my brother and his family around Christmas. I hate heat with a passion. I am not fond large groups of people as well.

Most people just do not get that some of us just like being alone much of the time.

Well, you can come here. Its will only be 107 today but I won't ask you how the job search is going.

Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Looking for a job is very much like "spanking the monkey". For the most part, you are only f**king yourself.

I am in a dark place and I dread people asking me what I am going to do for the Holidays. I am in no mood for any of kind of merriment this year. I just want to be left alone.

Blue,

I was thinking of you last week. Surprisingly it didn't have anything to do with monkeys.

When I went for my interview, before I went in I thought about YOU, John, Nick, Parafreegal, Investor Guy, the Dogman, HotDiggity, Jeff, Brat, and others.

Thinking about how Indeed connects us. Brings us together with similar stories......about being unemployed, down, discouraged, etc, etc, etc.

We share a bond, an important one too. We may never exchange Xmas gifts, talk on the phone about our weekends, or visit during the summertime. But there is a bond, one of "SUPPORT" for one another during our search for work. Support we don't get elsewhere.

Right before I went in for my interview I thought about how you guys want me to do well and get the job. Sort of like Luke Skywalker and the force.

Thank you Blue. Thank you and the rest for your insightful writings, for making me laugh, and for not making me feel so isolated and alone in my job search.

You have helped enormously and I hope something breaks for you and the others sooner than later.

Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Blue,

I was thinking of you last week. Surprisingly it didn't have anything to do with monkeys.

When I went for my interview, before I went in I thought about YOU, John, Nick, Parafreegal, Investor Guy, the Dogman, HotDiggity, Jeff, Brat, and others.

Thinking about how Indeed connects us. Brings us together with similar stories......about being unemployed, down, discouraged, etc, etc, etc.

We share a bond, an important one too. We may never exchange Xmas gifts, talk on the phone about our weekends, or visit during the summertime. But there is a bond, one of "SUPPORT" for one another during our search for work. Support we don't get elsewhere.

Right before I went in for my interview I thought about how you guys want me to do well and get the job. Sort of like Luke Skywalker and the force.

Thank you Blue. Thank you and the rest for your insightful writings, for making me laugh, and for not making me feel so isolated and alone in my job search.

You have helped enormously and I hope something breaks for you and the others sooner than later.

Dude, you have to get out more. I have to say, I only think of this board just before I click on Indeed forums. I'm usually ready to blow off some steam or give helpful insight (seriously) right at that moment.

I cannot say I'm thinking about Joey and Teabag while out enjoying several cold ones or out on interviews. Maybe tomorrow, when I'm being interviewed by the guy at the grocery store who asked me if I'm currently in school, I'll think of you guys and my need to subsequently vent.

Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Hey, you left out DLP (Unemployed Paralegal in Denver). Way to be inclusive! You're just like a prospective employer! :D

Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: Dude, you have to get out more. I have to say, I only think of this board just before I click on Indeed forums. I'm usually ready to blow off some steam or give helpful insight (seriously) right at that moment.

I cannot say I'm thinking about Joey and Teabag while out enjoying several cold ones or out on interviews. Maybe tomorrow, when I'm being interviewed by the guy at the grocery store who asked me if I'm currently in school, I'll think of you guys and my need to subsequently vent.

You use to be such a quiet young lad.

Money is Power. You get money by having a job.

My life right now revolves around getting a job 24/7, so I can have money.

Your right, I do need to get out more. Only money can make that happen. The power of having money.

By the way, if this grocery manager is such a num-num, be prepared for his boss to sit in on the interview and ask the questions. That could happen.

Reply - Report abuse

SusanMe in Denver, United States minor outlying islands

53 months ago

Have not yet lost my confidence but I see what you mean. I try to think positive as otherwise I'll totally lose it. It`s just extremely frustrating to put so many affords into something and get rejection everywhere.. Not loosing my confidence though. That's all I have left and I believe it's what will get me out of the queue, so I'll stick to it. At least I'll try

Reply - Report abuse

bmore79 in Baltimore, Maryland

53 months ago

I feel like many of you do but I try my hardest to remain focused and positive. My credit is totally wrecked, I am a single mom and I graduated in 2011. I STILL HAVE FAITH AND HOPE THAT WE ALL CAN PULL THROUGH THIS HARDSHIP WINNERS!!! Now this may sound crazy to you now but I am nobody's quitter! In college, I racked up $60,000 and I am a COSC major. When dealing with code in MD they require a background check and a credit check. I haven't been in any trouble in over 10 years. My student loans are in collections and while in school I lost my little brother to violence and I gave birth to a stillborn at 8 months of pregnancy but I still found a way to graduate and maintain my sanity! I have faith that we all will weather this storm and come out with triumph and victories! Just know that WE are the best that the rest has to offer and don't allow anyone or anything stand in the way of your success. Stay positive and ask questions when interviewed. Find out the who, what, when, where, why and how come you were not selected for the position you applied for and stay motivated, professional and positive! Never leave any rock unturned! This is bootstrap time people...SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST IS IN FULL EFFECT! How far down the food chain are YOU willing to let yourself and your loved ones fall!

Reply - Report abuse

Stillsmiling in Saint Marys, Georgia

53 months ago

SusanMe in Denver, United States minor outlying islands said: Have not yet lost my confidence but I see what you mean. I try to think positive as otherwise I'll totally lose it. It`s just extremely frustrating to put so many affords into something and get rejection everywhere.. Not loosing my confidence though. That's all I have left and I believe it's what will get me out of the queue, so I'll stick to it. At least I'll try

That is my attitude as well. I can't give up, I won't give up. Yes, my confidence is lagging a bit but I keep remembering what I do have to give to an employer when finally given the opportunity. I reapply to jobs that I've applied to before if they come open again. It is hard when you get rejection after rejection and can't seem to land even an interview. Very depressing and makes me wonder why I spent $50,000 on my education after leaving my last job. I wanted something different, something better. Now I just have debt and no job yet. For some reason though, I still wake up wondering what jobs I will find to apply to today and look forward to at least trying.

Reply - Report abuse

Apdelga in Miami, Florida

52 months ago

Wow exactly how I feel and I start Monday after two years, I just feel a bit better knowing I'm not alone in feeling UN-confident

Reply - Report abuse

Apdelga in Miami, Florida

52 months ago

Amen! exactly what I see and what the reality out there is right now I totally relate to it.

Reply - Report abuse

Montecristo in Toronto, Ontario

52 months ago

These are just devestating and heartbreaking stories.

Unfortunately, I have been out of work for 23 months and almost 3 out of the last 4 years.

Reply - Report abuse

Paige in Davis, California

51 months ago

Anna in Las Cruces, New Mexico said: I can relate to this. The constant rejection has made me feel like I am worthless, and I have 14 years of experience and a graduate degree. Apparently, experience and education don't count for anything these days if you can't jump through employers' sadistic hurdles. Agree with your comment about having to be a sleazy backstabbing liar to make it in the work force nowadays. The work world these days sickens me. I was unemployed briefly (3 months) in 2007 and it was nowhere near like it is now.

Well, part of your problem is probably the being in Las Cruces part. I've heard that other than teaching, there are no jobs in most of New Mexico where they actually want college graduates. Everything says experience required and they will check your credit (so no one drowning in student loan debt, need apply.) I qualify to teach for the Las Cruces public schools but I hesitate to come down there because of the absolute lack of any other jobs to tide me over until I could get hired in. That and the weather. I mean, it has to be New Mexico for healthcare reasons but it doesn't have to be Las Cruces or Roswell.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.