Have you lost confidence in your abilities like I have?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 621)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

OldandSad in Saddle Brook, New Jersey

47 months ago

After two years of not having a full time job and many rejections after interviews, I can honestly say I have lost confidence in my ability to work again. I'm not even going to try to fight this feeling nor deny the truth. I do not give off an intelligent enough vibe to hire me. And I have worked with the cesspool of humanity to learn that it takes a sleazy backstabbing liar to make it in the work force! I am afraid to work again! There, I said it. Why should I want to work again when they probably will let me go in no time. I might as well just get an easy retail job or become a driver. Oh, that's right. The retailers won't hire me either! So where does that leave me? LOL! I honestly don't know!

Have you lost confidence in yourself since you have been laid off?

It's a brutal world!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (172) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

47 months ago

I guess I'm lucky that in Wisconsin we only are required to make 2 job contacts a week. I've never had them check on me. With all the unemployed people out there, I don't think they have the time or the staff to check on everyone unless they see a good reason to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Chicago, Illinois

47 months ago

When you are on extended benefits, you are on Tier 4 and that is weeks 80-99. You have to submit the sheet every 2 weeks and you have to have at least 5 each week. You have to make an effort on 3 different days in your work week. It asks for name & addres of company and result, they may spot check on you, so you need to keep accurate records or you could be asked to pay the money back as an Overpayment. If you submit to a company you do not see advertised but are just trying for an unadvertised job I would count that as loong as I have actually contacted the company in some way. Fax, Internet or in person.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

47 months ago

OldandSad in Saddle Brook, New Jersey said: After two years of not having a full time job and many rejections after interviews, I can honestly say I have lost confidence in my ability to work again. I'm not even going to try to fight this feeling nor deny the truth. I do not give off an intelligent enough vibe to hire me. And I have worked with the cesspool of humanity to learn that it takes a sleazy backstabbing liar to make it in the work force! I am afraid to work again! There, I said it. Why should I want to work again when they probably will let me go in no time. I might as well just get an easy retail job or become a driver. Oh, that's right. The retailers won't hire me either! So where does that leave me? LOL! I honestly don't know!

It's a brutal world!

Yes especially that now I can't find a job (even temp work) due to bad credit which leads to a 'failed background check'. Since 2011 started I had one temp job end abruptly because my background check 'failed' due to adverse credit and just today I was informed that another temp job I was supposed to start on Monday has been canceled due to the fact that I failed the background check as well. No one will give a reason due to 'privacy' only giving me the address of the credit reporting agency.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Colorado has a similar ridiculous requirement of five employment contacts a week. Fulfilling the requirement is challenging.

You don't have to limit yourself to answering ads, nor do you have to limit yourself to applying for jobs within your field. Apply proactively to employers, even if they're somewhat out of your field. Just send letters of interest and resumes. Also phone and in-person inquiries count as job contacts. Interviews also count as job contacts.

Be careful not to blow your leads. Look for as many employers as you can, but don't apply to all of them at once. Let's say you scare up ten potential employers. Let's also say you've already applied to two other employers this week. Use three of the new ones to fulfill your requirement. Save the rest of them for next week, ad infinitum.

Be sure you carefully note every contact in your job search log in case Unemployment should ask to see it.

Many of those ads are really employment agencies. I don't understand why they have you come register with them, give you false hope, then either ignore your phone call or act 'put upon' if you dare call them to check in. Recruiters hate being contacted by applicants unless they have initiated the call first

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: They very well may be agencies - but for UIB purposes they still count as contacts. I realize one must be careful with dealing with agencies because they have ways of getting UIB recipients in trouble.

I cannot even get a temp now do bad credit. One temp job ended in January after they completed the background check (2 months after I started the assignment) and another potential assignment fell thru, all due to charged off credit card debt. Policy at most places is that any collection or chargeoff over $5,000 is a considered failure of background check.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: OT (sorry).

Did you call the Mass A-G about that collections lawyer who was harassing you?

What is the point?? I am unemployed due to the mere existence of collections/chargeoffs on my credit report. All the major financial & accounting firms have the same criteria and word gets around when working with recruiting agencies

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mad Hatter in North Hollywood, California

47 months ago

As far as collections go, I don't own my own home so basically besides my car I have nothing so when they call just say I don't have a job so what are you going to do? Can't get blood out of an orange. I was scared to death when my unemployment ran out but hey I learned how to deal. I rent out 2 rooms from the house I live in. Yes, this can be a bother but it keeps a roof over my head and I went on care.com and found work taking care of children. They also offer housekeeping, pet care etc. They do a background check but only criminal not credit. Also I have a cell phone and if I don't recognize who's calling I don't answer. They can leave a message. 866 calls are always collections and I put a block on them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Mad Hatter in North Hollywood, California said: As far as collections go, I don't own my own home so basically besides my car I have nothing so when they call just say I don't have a job so what are you going to do? Can't get blood out of an orange. I was scared to death when my unemployment ran out but hey I learned how to deal. I rent out 2 rooms from the house I live in. Yes, this can be a bother but it keeps a roof over my head and I went on care.com and found work taking care of children. They also offer housekeeping, pet care etc. They do a background check but only criminal not credit. Also I have a cell phone and if I don't recognize who's calling I don't answer. They can leave a message. 866 calls are always collections and I put a block on them.

I don't either but I just had a temp job offer rescinded due to a 'failed background check'. I was told that any collections/chargeoffs over $5,000, any outstanding lien or judgment, foreclosures treated in same 'manner as collections'. Bankruptcys are OK as long as no bad debt after the bankruptcy. I was told that the background check company just gives a pass, fail based on those parameters and a failed background check means the assignment is off. I suspect most large companies have similar criterion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

I don't either but I just had a temp job offer rescinded due to a 'failed background check'. I was told that any collections/chargeoffs over $5,000, any outstanding lien or judgment, foreclosures treated in same 'manner as collections'. Bankruptcys are OK as long as no bad debt after the bankruptcy. I was told that the background check company just gives a pass, fail based on those parameters and a failed background check means the assignment is off. I suspect most large companies have similar criterion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

I know what your saying Nick. Times are really hard now and we have to become creative. Target has a lien on me,I'm behind in my taxes, a truck I thought I cosigned but apparently it was in my name repossessed and so figured to hell with it and went belly up on the credit cards. Oh and forget about the student loan. Everything but the taxes and student loan will drop in a few more years and I'll never try to get credit again. I'm working for cash now so no taxing but will pay the back taxes I owe cause I know that will not go away. My son who years ago was convicted of a felony was working on his father-in-laws house to pay back money he borrowed and a contractor working there offered him a job so now he is working 6 days a week. Things are different now and the trick is to figure where you can fit in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

47 months ago

I have worked in the call centers on and off since 1983. Most of my experience has been with these outbound telemarketing service agencies and market research firms.

Back in the 1980's, there were plenty of these jobs available. However, most of them have now disappeared. I personally believe that the Do-Not-Call list has put a lot of these places out of business. And I know that most of these American companies now have outsourced their call center jobs overseas to either India or the The Philippines.

In 2004, I found myself at a career crossroads. I couldn't decide whether I wanted to just simply get out of the call centers or to seek clerical work. It was hard. But the next year, I took up freelance writing.

My skills are transferable into other industries. So the answer is no. I haven't lost confidence in the abilities that I have. I'll just keep on looking for the right jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

R in Woodbury, New Jersey

39 months ago

I stumbled on this thread while trying to figure out what I can do to earn some money not related to my field, research scientist. I've been looking since last December. There are little to no jobs in my area, and I am getting no calls back from other areas I am applying to. Since the field is flooded and pharma companies are laying off they can save money by hiring local.

I am so sorry to hear about everyone's issues with these horrible times. I agree that the job situation has gotten worse. I was finding 10-15 jobs a week that were at least loosely related to my field. In the last 2 months I dont' think I have applied to maybe 4-5 jobs. They just don't exist!

The comments about credit reporting are so scary to me. I fear getting rejected for this during the background check. My credit is far from stellar!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

George

39 months ago

All companies are now doing credit checks along with the regular criminal background checks. That's the basic things a company will do besides a drug screening.

I saw on TV a few months ago that a Chic-Fil-A restaurant opened and 3000 people applied.for a job at that location. Its very bad right now trying to find *any* type of job in the USA.

39 months ago

They can make a law that no one can be rejected because of their credit, but it doesn't stop the employers from rejecting you for it. They just won't tell you that. Just like any other reason.

I'm getting tired of having to explain why I have gaps in my employment. It's the lack of jobs, not the lack of trying. It's very frustrating.

I'm so tired of employers asking so many questions about why I got laid off or why I left a company. What does it matter? It wasn't because I sucked as an employee, it's because lack of work or it was a temp job. A company really doesn't have to tell you at all why they are laying you off. They could make something up if they wanted to. Yet employers still blame the person that got laid off. How stupid in this economy. Every other person I know has been laid off at some point in their life. It's not an unusual thing anymore. Wake up, employers! Get your heads out of the sand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tania RN in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

39 months ago

"They can make a law that no one can be rejected because of their credit, but it doesn't stop the employers from rejecting you for it. They just won't tell you that. Just like any other reason."

designer bee,

True that and I agree 100% with what you said. But many places will not consider hiring you if you have bad credit due to a long tern layoff in which you had zero income and were barely keeping your head above water. I know it sucks but many companies look at you as a *number* and not a human. Some places (lots of retail businesses) don't want a person with bad credit cause they feel that a person with bad credit and lots of debt is more likely to steal or act in a dishonest way. I know its wrong but many companies will not consider you even though there is a law (in some states) that can no longer deny you employment based on your credit.

Good Luck,

Tania RN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

At least I don't have bad credit. We've always managed during tough times, but it's not easy. I feel for those that don't have a working spouse or some way of staying ahead. We just try to stay hanging on and pray that something better comes along. It's all we can do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

Even temp agencies check credit now saying that their client requires it. I had several temp jobs end on the second day because according to the agency the background check failed due to credit. Mostly all financial institutions & insurance companies check credit now even if the position isn't dealing directly with money.

39 months ago

George said: All companies are now doing credit checks along with the regular criminal background checks. That's the basic things a company will do besides a drug screening.

I saw on TV a few months ago that a Chic-Fil-A restaurant opened and 3000 people applied.for a job at that location. Its very bad right now trying to find *any* type of job in the USA.

That is true regarding the credit as part of background check. Actually it is harder to get a job with bad credit THAN with a criminal conviction... Many places give you the opportunity to explain a criminal record or conviction and misdeameanors more than 5 years old aren't counted. There is no such explanation usually sufficient for bad credit even though some employers may say they will allow you to explain

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Greg Hope in Eugene, Oregon

38 months ago

Yeah, I have lost my confidence in my abilities.
I think it's natural to go casting for new skills, when the ones you have aren't attracting any money. But, the new skills: patience with queues, making-do with less and less, how to write the perfect resume, chatting with career-advisors, and commiserating with fellow job-seekers, aren't high on the list of in-demand skills.
Help me look for my confidence. I'm sure it's around here, somewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Abbey in San Francisco, California

36 months ago

I can relate and I am equally frustrated. I feel like I am chasing my tail. These companies condense multiple rolls into one position. To save money they are seeking some sort of superman who can do it all. Just when I think I can apply for a job, they throw a skill from left field, that traditionally has nothing to do with the position. I keep thinking maybe I should take a class in...just to hear of another job opportunity, same job title, but with an added set of skills.
This gives me the illusion I am not good at anything, but I know it's not me, it's companies hoarding money at the top. So seriously, don't beat yourself up over it. When they condensed all the positions to ten employees (exaggerating here), and people can't afford to consume anymore, they will start hiring again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Abbey in San Francisco, California

36 months ago

I can relate and I am equally frustrated. I feel like I am chasing my tail. These companies condense multiple rolls into one position. To save money they are seeking some sort of superman who can do it all. Just when I think I can apply for a job, they throw a skill from left field, that traditionally has nothing to do with the position. I keep thinking maybe I should take a class in...just to hear of another job opportunity, same job title, but with an added set of skills.
This gives me the illusion I am not good at anything, but I know it's not me, it's companies hoarding money at the top. So seriously, don't beat yourself up over it. When they condensed all the positions to ten employees (exaggerating here), and people can't afford to consume anymore, they will start hiring again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

36 months ago

Abbey in San Francisco, California said: I can relate and I am equally frustrated. I feel like I am chasing my tail. These companies condense multiple rolls into one position. To save money they are seeking some sort of superman who can do it all. Just when I think I can apply for a job, they throw a skill from left field, that traditionally has nothing to do with the position. I keep thinking maybe I should take a class in...just to hear of another job opportunity, same job title, but with an added set of skills.

First, even if you are able to program in the latest thing, can speak Mandarin and Polish, are able to work nights, weekends and Christmas Day, and can tic off all the other boxes, you never want to apply for a job that was previously done by 3 other people.

You'll be miserable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

36 months ago

Checking credit for temp jobs? The indicators in the job market have to be going off as way overboard when employers require credit checks on temp employees. Something has got to give soon when craziness like this is going on.

Swanwood in Tucson, Arizona

34 months ago

OldandSad in Saddle Brook, New Jersey said: After two years of not having a full time job and many rejections after interviews, I can honestly say I have lost confidence in my ability to work again. I'm not even going to try to fight this feeling nor deny the truth. I do not give off an intelligent enough vibe to hire me. And I have worked with the cesspool of humanity to learn that it takes a sleazy backstabbing liar to make it in the work force! I am afraid to work again! There, I said it. Why should I want to work again when they probably will let me go in no time. I might as well just get an easy retail job or become a driver. Oh, that's right. The retailers won't hire me either! So where does that leave me? LOL! I honestly don't know!

It's a brutal world!

I feel exactly the same way! I'm too "nice" for the workaday world. You have to be willing to do anything to get ahead. Sigh!

34 months ago

Have you lost confidence in yourself since you have
been laid off?I

It's a brutal world!

I too felt exactly like you do. Thought about disabilit but don't have health insurance. I have a tremor and the stress made it worse. Felt pretty useless. My son pointed out I was good with kids so now I'm a professional babysitter. 15 an hour cash. Work for myself. My hours and choose who I will work for. Give it a thought .

Yep in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

34 months ago

A little part of me has lost some confidence, every time I get turned down for a job I can't help but ask myself. "What's wrong with me?, Am I not skilled enough, outgoing enough, dedicated enough, what am I not doing?" I keep my spirit up by doing one new project every month and learning new skills, but its hard to keep going.

MATT in Loch Sheldrake, New York

34 months ago

It's a brutal world!

you go after the good jobs that your qualified for. however, they seem to look for perfection during the interview. and the funny thing is that the people interviewing you aren't that polished but they expect you to be in your answers. so yes it is very depressing when you don't get the job. you lose confidence and it shows during the next interview.

so then you look at the jobs that are a step down from your abilities but i can't get myself to apply to them because i know i should be working a "good" job. it's an awful feeling and the clock is ticking since the longer your unemployed the less attractive you are to employers, not to mention your unemployment is running out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

I wouldn't say I've lost confidence in my abilities and skills. I would maybe say I've lost confidence in being able to land another job in the field in which I have experience. I get called in to interview, more so lately, with an upcoming interview at a fourth firm in three months, but I just am obviously not getting hired.

Roberta in Fairfax, Virginia

34 months ago

I am in the same boat as everyone else...continuously trying with no result. I have horrible credit due to student loans I'll never be able to pay off in my lifetime. All in collections. All making me miserable. Ive never earned enough to make even minimum payments on these loans. I have been through the final interview stages of two jobs, preliminary interviews for 4 others. Gotten no offers. I'm waiting on news from two right now. I'm sure I won't get those either. I went into debt trying to get an education to get a good job. Those loans ruined my life so I can't get a job at all. You would think I'm trying to get a job in a bank or insurance or high powered business job...no, im trying to get a job at a make up counter. These stOres aren't telling me this is the issue, but I'm sure it is. Im overqualified for these typesof sales jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Cary, NC

34 months ago

Maybe so people are having trouble finding a job due to age, bad credit, lack of experience, long term unemployment... etc.
I have been out of work for 6 months a its really bad around here

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

34 months ago

I took a job recently merchandising for Acosta. Both the recruiter and my now boss said about 5 times "it's not a lot of money." And it isn't...$12/hr, which while not minimum wage, is barely enough for me to live off of.

You know what they're oblivious to? There are many things besides pay, that this job does for me...that are more important than pay. I'm no longer unemployed. The unemployment gap stops, and all of the places auto-rejecting me because of my gap stop with it.

That in itself is huge, these days. The longer you're out, the more likely it is that you're going to stay out.

nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

34 months ago

And I'm firmly convinced that employers who use filters on their applications, have now added a filter that auto-rejects anyone without work experience that is dated 2011. By June, they will be filtering anyone who has a resume without 2012 experience. So if you've been out for a year or two, good luck...you'll need it.

34 months ago

You're probably close to being right, Nick.

I sometimes think I'll never be able to get another job, especially in my field.

I'd take something like you took as a stop gap, but once you start doing something like that I have to wonder if employers in your desired field will look at you any more since you're not working in that field. Sort of a Catch-22 if you see my point.

Also, once you have a gap, the gap is there forever and will need to be explained at every interview. Just because you get a stop gap job doesn't put you into the clear as to that gap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

34 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: You're probably close to being right, Nick.

I sometimes think I'll never be able to get another job, especially in my field.

I'd take something like you took as a stop gap, but once you start doing something like that I have to wonder if employers in your desired field will look at you any more since you're not working in that field. Sort of a Catch-22 if you see my point.

Also, once you have a gap, the gap is there forever and will need to be explained at every interview. Just because you get a stop gap job doesn't put you into the clear as to that gap.

The older the gap, the less relevant it becomes. I had one in 1996 and another in 2009. The one in 2009 was a killer. That's when I got off the Internet and started applying to small companies - those with less than 100 employees. It was still tough but it eventually filled "the gap".

It was also that I learned never to become too complacent. No job is forever anymore.

I agree that many (large) companies won't touch you if your gap is longer than a few months. They just find someone whose "qualifications and experience are a better match".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Career Coach Julie in Jacksonville, Florida

34 months ago

Hi All--

I'm sorry to hear your frustrations and feel your pain. I was laid off in both 2008 and 2010 and went through all the turnmoil and emotions you are feeling.

You may be doing these things already, but to get that competitive edge--try to spend more time networking than surfing the job boards. You may hear of a position before it's even posted or have that first in with a posted job. Also, if you see something on a job board, see if you can find a way in to HR or the hiring manager directly (in addition to applying online)through your network or LinkedIn or company research. Finally, you can fill gaps on your resume with volunteer project, leadership, positions that you can bullet point and show accomplishments just like a job--that might help as well.

Most of all, get out of the house! I tended to become a "homebody" because I was down, felt I needed to spend the time job hunting, was embarrassed and didn't want to be asked about my job search, but when I forced myself to go out with friends, go network, or go to a "support" group of job hunters, I felt better, renewed, and stronger to fight the fight.

Empowered to Achieve Career and Business Coaching
www.empoweredtoachieve.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

garet in London, United Kingdom

34 months ago

I have the same feeling about losing confidence. It's so bad now to the point that I study for my job interviews from the moment I get off the phone until the minute I am heading to the place where I'll be going for the interview. At my interviews, I am not telling the truth about things and saying things I really shouldn't (lots of bad foolish answers), extreme nervousness, it's just a whole mess. Overall, just feel like pure crap. Side note, I really can't stand those annoying scripted HR dept questions that are still be asked today like 'describe a team leadership moment' or 'what do you see yourself doing in 5 yrs', or 'how do you motivate yourself'. These questions are so pathetic. Do these 'HR' people seriously think these ABC questions are going to determine anythingt?
Yes i am feeling bitter.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kitty in Kirkland, Washington

34 months ago

garet in London, United Kingdom said: I have the same feeling about losing confidence. It's so bad now to the point that I study for my job interviews from the moment I get off the phone until the minute I am heading to the place where I'll be going for the interview. At my interviews, I am not telling the truth about things and saying things I really shouldn't (lots of bad foolish answers), extreme nervousness, it's just a whole mess. Overall, just feel like pure crap. Side note, I really can't stand those annoying scripted HR dept questions that are still be asked today like 'describe a team leadership moment' or 'what do you see yourself doing in 5 yrs', or 'how do you motivate yourself'. These questions are so pathetic. Do these 'HR' people seriously think these ABC questions are going to determine anythingt?
Yes i am feeling bitter.....

LOL...i was asked these 3 annoying questions in one single interview a week ago. The hiring managers were holding a list of questions to simply read them to me during the interview. Sigh...

Honestly i think if the employers think they can be picky considering the unemployment pool, please at least do some research to ask meaningful questions to find the greatest fit for your company. Asking that `seeing youserlf in 5 years' is silly if you know your opening is a boring job and expecting someone to stay there for long time with tons of qualification.

Bluetea in Texas

34 months ago

kitty in Kirkland, Washington said: LOL...i was asked these 3 annoying questions in one single interview a week ago. The hiring managers were holding a list of questions to simply read them to me during the interview. Sigh...

Asking that `seeing youserlf in 5 years' is silly if you know your opening is a boring job and expecting someone to stay there for long time with tons of qualification.

Question: "Where do you see yourself in five years?"
Answer: "Well, if the company has not been bought or gone out of business in five years then I see myself right here".

Then don't say another word.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

The 5 year question is stupid and outdated. No one can predict the future even though we work hard towards what we want. Many unexpected things can happen in that time. I'd like to ask these places if they plan on keeping an employee for 5 years.

Maybe a better answer would be to ask them where the company sees itself in 5 years. They had better have a good answer. I'll bet they stumble through that answer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

kitty in Seattle, Washington

34 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: The 5 year question is stupid and outdated. No one can predict the future even though we work hard towards what we want. Many unexpected things can happen in that time. I'd like to ask these places if they plan on keeping an employee for 5 years.

Maybe a better answer would be to ask them where the company sees itself in 5 years. They had better have a good answer. I'll bet they stumble through that answer.

Totally agree...However they still like to ask this question and want to see how `motivated you are. You know we should give them a `big picture' answer and followed up by `so how do you see your company goes in 5 years?'...Make it a two-way question!!

I highly hope the hiring manager will ask me `why should we hire you' or at least tell me what interested you most about my resume...but so far no one did that...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

I was once asked the 5 year question for a part time job that paid $8.00 an hour. The woman interviewing me knew that I was also going to school for a degree unrelated to that job. This would have been a job I was qualified for and would be good at, so that wasn't a problem.

Since she never offered full time work to anyone that worked for her, it wouldn't have gone anywhere. I had to be honest and say that I was going to school for graphic design and planned on using my degree in that field. Was I supposed to lie? It's not like her imitation stained glass business in the middle of nowhere was going to earn me a good living. She had to know that.

I no longer see her business there when I drive by that building. I bet her business went under.

I know why she asked me this question. Her background was in HR and that's probably one of the stupid questions she asked at her old job. Her loss, since I would have been very good at doing that job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

34 months ago

I'd say that the majority of HRs are told what to ask, and don't even know why or how it applies to anything. HR seems to me to be a very "I do what my boss tells me" sort of gig. A lot of my interviews are zero personality from their end, asking me questions that they are required to ask, and "scoring" my answers.

I wish I could answer, "In 5 years, I envision myself doing your job. Because if this is how you do interviews, the position will be open by then or before."

Anders in Seattle, Washington

34 months ago

mmm well theres a lot of people who posted on this so we could all start a company together lol. im thinking a brewery, if nothing else we could all sit around and get drunk and argue. always fun. but that is very unlikely. so as far as advice; you stand to see no benefit from negative thinking, it will only bring you down. Understand that when your feeling blue and dismiss the cynic. Im serious, failure will make you feel down and sometimes you can learn from it but when you have done that or don't see what there is to learn you just have to push it under. There is nothing to be gained from destroying your own confidence. Not to advocate ignorance, there are constructive forms of criticism but constantly demeaning yourself is not one of them. If you constantly indulge pessimism it dwarfs desire. You have to want something, people are creatures of will. Desire drives us, goals are a necessity. Know what you want and why you want it. Hopefully not trivial things, contrarily; things that give you a sense of fulfillment but you can continue to work on. thrive on that desire. and go walk around in a park its soothing, sitting around looking on the computer for jobs all day is f***ing dreary. hmmmm wait, what? what was this thread about? lol srry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

You are correct, but it's not easy to get down on yourself. I would like a brewery of my own. LOL

Ugh, today is one of those days!! I've had it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

34 months ago

Heh, the first thing that changed when I got this job I have now, is my drinking has gone down from 4-5 nights a week to maybe twice. Saves money, saves my liver, I'm in favor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Not having a job is enough to make me want to drink more. I think what stops me is all the extra calories would end up on my stomach and rear. It saves me money by not needing a bigger wardrobe. :D

Kevin

34 months ago

Spend that money on your kids and not on booze.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

I don't have kids, so neener neener. More booze for me!

Who cares what a person spends their money on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Boston, Massachusetts

34 months ago

I don't have kids either, and never will until I can afford to take care of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.