Healthcare Management Career Need Advice

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Me4HM in Henderson, Nevada

38 months ago

Hi,

I currently have an AA in Healthcare Administration, will be graduating summer of 2012 with a BS in Business with a specialization in Healthcare Management currently holding a 4.0 GPA.(knock on wood) I have been volunteering at a major hospital in patient admitting for six months, which I will need to continue for another year and half. I keep seeing job requirements wanting at least 2 years experience. (I realize volunteering does not guarantee a job) The catch 22 is no one will hire me with no working experience. My first concern is not being able to find a job right after graduation.

Second concern, I've been talking to the George Washington University, because I have children and I am looking into their Masters of Healthcare Management program they have online. The advisor from the school said she did not recommend me doing the Master in Healthcare Management because I would be retaking basically similar courses. Rather, keep my BS and just get the right certifications. Really, is this advisor correct??? What certifications? ICD-9 and 10 certifications? Information Management certifications? What certifications are in demand by most Healthcare employers?

The only other option is to do a Masters in Public Health but the advisor said I am limited to only jobs in this field and degree. I'm confused and I’m not sure what the best route I should take. I also want to relocate to Texas, and down the road I want to be a hospital administrator, yet I am noticing Long-term care/ Nursing home administrators are requiring a nursing degree. Does this mean I can't be a hosptial administrator? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

brambleton in Chantilly, Virginia

38 months ago

I work at the George Washington University Hospital. I can't imagine someone getting a hospital administrator position without some kind of direct experience working with clinicians (physicians, nurses and allied professionals). Most administrators have a background in nursing and have many years of floor experience as well as their Masters. Every single director of the units at GW are registered nurses. I'm not sure how you will get the experience needed but maybe discuss this with the local HR recruiter for suggestions. Best of luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Me4HM in Henderson, Nevada

38 months ago

Hi Brambleton,

Thank you so much for your insight and prompt response. I think you’re correct in that most administrator positions in the healthcare field will require a nursing degree, and years of experience. This morning I did an engine search and found a person who is an assistant administrator for Johns Hopkins Out Patient Center, however this person holds B.B.A., Accounting, Auburn University (Alabama) B.S., Health Systems Management, Auburn University, M.P.H., Health Policy and Administration, Yale University (Connecticut) Doctoral Candidate, Health Policy and Management, The Johns Hopkins University (Maryland). This person does not have a nursing degree but his educational background would qualify him to be an assistant administrator. I found his information on this site: www.healthmanagementcareers.org/dickson.pdf.

I am now gathering that it is possible, but such opportunities are rare??? My intuition tells me I should continue on the path for obtaining a Masters in either Healthcare Management or Public Health, continue in gaining professional work experience, and continue to complete the appropriate certifications. I will most certainly take your advice in asking the recruiters at the hospital where I volunteer. This is a great idea. Thank you!=)

studentforever in Las Vegas, Nevada

9 months ago

This is what made me make a decision to not pursue healthcare management. I am a psychology student right now and revisiting this but I have no intention of ever going into nursing. Don't get me wrong It is a rewarding field. I just cannot do the clinical side of this work. I understand why and my daughter who is an RN has told me on numerous occasions that you cannot do justice as an administrator without touched foot into the clinical arena. I keep coming back here because I want to do this but it is just not going to work unless you are willing to become a nurse as well. The other field that is a good fit is informatics. I believe you could work in informatics without a nursing degree.

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

9 months ago

brambleton in Chantilly, Virginia said: I work at the George Washington University Hospital . I can't imagine someone getting a hospital administrator position without some kind of direct experience working with clinicians (physicians, nurses and allied professionals). Most administrators have a background in nursing and have many years of floor experience as well as their Masters. Every single director of the units at GW are registered nurses. I'm not sure how you will get the experience needed but maybe discuss this with the local HR recruiter for suggestions. Best of luck.

That's exactly how any hospital runs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.