Hung Up On A Hospital Phone Screen

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

I got a call from a hospital system recruiter earlier who wanted a phone screen, but failed to mentioned she'd be typing EVERYTHING I said. Seriously? Sorry, I don't feel comfortable with that and didn't like being told that upfront. I told her that and then hung up on her. (She called me back too because I don't think she appreciated being hung up on. Well, I'm sorry, I DIDN'T appreciate being told upfront that she'd be typing EVERYTHING I said verbatim. I felt like I was on the phone with the state trying to justify why I should be given unemployment or keep my food stamps.)

I've had phone screens where they ask questions and jot down certain key points, which I have no problem with. But to type EVERYTHING I say verbatim? Just how common is it to type EVERYTHING verbatim? Maybe this is something the large employers are more likely to do when it comes to a phone screen? I know hanging up on her was cruel and it probably kills any future chance of getting into that hospital system, but I'm just not used to having an employer do a phone screen and type EVERYTHING I say — especially when they don't make an effort to tell me upfront how it's going to work. Should I be prepared for other hospital systems conducting a phone screen in a similar manner? Are employers obligated to tell you upfront they'll be typing EVERYTHING you say?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tiffiney O in Northbrook, Illinois

14 months ago

To me this is common and normal, it doesn't even bother me, because I am also jotting down my own notes as well. In fact I would be more worried if they weren't typing or jotting down notes because that would mean they are not taking you seriously as a candidate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

14 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: I got a call from a hospital system recruiter earlier who wanted a phone screen, but failed to mentioned she'd be typing EVERYTHING I said. Seriously? Sorry, I don't feel comfortable with that and didn't like being told that upfront. I told her that and then hung up on her. (She called me back too because I don't think she appreciated being hung up on. Well, I'm sorry, I DIDN'T appreciate being told upfront that she'd be typing EVERYTHING I said verbatim. I felt like I was on the phone with the state trying to justify why I should be given unemployment or keep my food stamps.)

I've had phone screens where they ask questions and jot down certain key points, which I have no problem with. But to type EVERYTHING I say verbatim? Just how common is it to type EVERYTHING verbatim? Maybe this is something the large employers are more likely to do when it comes to a phone screen? I know hanging up on her was cruel and it probably kills any future chance of getting into that hospital system, but I'm just not used to having an employer do a phone screen and type EVERYTHING I say — especially when they don't make an effort to tell me upfront how it's going to work. Should I be prepared for other hospital systems conducting a phone screen in a similar manner? Are employers obligated to tell you upfront they'll be typing EVERYTHING you say?

I say good for you!! It's very intimidating to say the least and very unnecessary. I once went to an interview where the hiring manager typed every word I said in a face to face meeting! It was so strange to be talking to her, knowing her fingers were moving the whole time. I didn't get the job. I don't know how anyone can get to know you if they are too busy typing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: I don't know how anyone can get to know you if they are too busy typing.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make in all this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

14 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: That's exactly the point I was trying to make in all this.

Much agreed! I applaud you for making a decision to NOT be part of the problem with how we are all treated in the hiring process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

14 months ago

Tiffiney O in Northbrook, Illinois said: To me this is common and normal, it doesn't even bother me, because I am also jotting down my own notes as well. In fact I would be more worried if they weren't typing or jotting down notes because that would mean they are not taking you seriously as a candidate.

Me too. I would have just kept my cool especially if it was her job to type your answers. Its like a DUI check point on Saturday night and a cop asks for your driver's license and registration. No need to get mad if he is doing it to everyone.

Same goes for this lady.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: Me too. I would have just kept my cool especially if it was her job to type your answers. Its like a DUI check point on Saturday night and a cop asks for your driver's license and registration. No need to get mad if he is doing it to everyone.

Same goes for this lady.

But the polite, professional, thing to have done is to inform me upfront as to how this would go down and that she'd need to type EVERYTHING I said. It totally took me off guard and some people just aren't comfortable with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

14 months ago

I understand...
But try and keep your cool. She should have said your answers are being recorded.

I've had some bad interviews and just bit my tongue, putting on a nice warm smile during a phone interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.