If you could do it ALL over again...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Bluetea in Texas

20 months ago

what would you do differently? Would you choose a different major, a different career, a different spouse, a different city or just richer parents?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

20 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: what would you do differently? Would you choose a different major, a different career, a different spouse, a different city or just richer parents?

I DEFINITELY would have chosen a different major. Meteorology is one of the most fun fields to study but it SUCKS as a career. Do you know what they call someone with a B.S. in meteorology? Lieutenant. Because the only thing that you can do with a B.S. in meteorology is join the Air Force. Probably no more than half the people with an M.S. in meteorology work as meteorologists/climatologists. If I had studied computer programming instead of meteorology and followed the typical computer programmer career path rather than working for research labs, I bet I'd be making $90-100k right now. Which is $90-100k more than I'm making.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

20 months ago

I definitely would have made more of an effort to find a different career. I briefly got out of the profession I was in for close to 20 years with school and a temporary job. I happened to stop in to see an old boss and got offered a position which I accepted. In the back of my mind, I knew that was not the right choice. Right back into a volatile job instead of making the effort to find something completely different.

I tried computer science in school.... my brain isn't wired that way. But what would I have tried which would have been better? No clue. At all. I likely would have wound up in the same position as I find myself in now......

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

20 months ago

testing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

20 months ago

Jeff in Denver, Colorado said: I bet I'd be making $90-100k right now. Which is $90-100k more than I'm making.

The grass isn't that green over there. You are in your 40's, I think, and interviewing with 20-year olds, isn't exactly easy. IT has this weird mix of great jobs and no jobs.

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

20 months ago

I would probably joined the Air Force and go to college on the GI Bill for accounting CPA.

Not all folks make big $$$ in the computer industry.

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington

20 months ago

I would have started my art career earlier. I didn't start until about 40 years old (7 years ago).

If not that, I would have went to school to get schooling to be a stockbroker/Goldman Sachs sort of power broker and lived in NYC. Then, after amassing a fortune, I'd buy a house in the country, travel, do art and landscape.

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

20 months ago

Jeff in Denver, Colorado said: I DEFINITELY would have chosen a different major. Meteorology is one of the most fun fields to study but it SUCKS as a career. Do you know what they call someone with a B.S. in meteorology? Lieutenant. Because the only thing that you can do with a B.S. in meteorology is join the Air Force. Probably no more than half the people with an M.S. in meteorology work as meteorologists/climatologists. If I had studied computer programming instead of meteorology and followed the typical computer programmer career path rather than working for research labs, I bet I'd be making $90-100k right now. Which is $90-100k more than I'm making.

Jeff, I had always wanted to be a meteorologist and this was my personal regret not going to college for it. Maybe the heavens above saved me some heartache. I was convinced had I gone for my dream, I would have had a solid career. Funny how that is.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.