Im 29 years old and i have no idea what i want to do with my life

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 57)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

John in Catonsville, Maryland

27 months ago

Maybe the cia has an undercover branch that does those things? :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

27 months ago

endoftheworld in New Haven, Connecticut said: That's like going to a career counselor and hoping to get some new insight and them asking you "well what do you want to do?" and your like "I dunno that's like why I am here? if i knew why, why I pay you to help me figure something out?"
yeh I also get bored real easy, probably explains why my motivational levels are so low, cause when you know that once the novely wears off it'll become drudgery that kinda is a buzzkill.

EXACTLY to those statements! At the career counselor, I was looking for some fresh insights only to get the "what do you like" and "look at government job outlook page" (I forget the name, but it is totally useless with completely outdated statistics).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano, TX

27 months ago

Lets face it, 95% of working people in the USA hate their job but since it pays the bills they drag themselves out of bed every day to go to work. I'm one of those people that dread my job but I have another 20 years to work.

Every person dreams of a perfect career.... very few actually live it. But for the time being I will just keep my mouth shut at work and collect a paycheck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (85) / No (41) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano, TX

27 months ago

Where will you move?

Didn't you say that you wanted to be in NY closer to your dad.

I hope whatever you decide to do it works out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

27 months ago

Thanks, Beth. I am looking at the NYC area. It is stupid expensive, though. To be honest, I'd move anywhere that had a good job waiting for me. I was looking through New Mexico listings, earlier. I just want good, solid work that isn't going to lay me off a year later, something I can build around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

ADDscrub in Canyon Country, California

15 months ago

Does anyone else see anything wrong with this? Why is no one else furious at the concept of living in a world where you are forced to do a job that you hate, just to pay off some bills that you are forced to pay?

I've never held a job over about a year and a half, and every time it's because I just get sick of the job. It pours over into my personal life, I get deeply depressed and lose interest in EVERYTHING, and inevitably just trudge through work un-enthusiastically until I can't take it anymore and put in my two weeks, or they let me go. The following time spent unemployed, I manage to fill my head with ideas of the success and happiness which has, thus far, eluded me, until I build myself up enough so that my next job can slowly tear me down, back into this hole of depression.

"Ever since I started working ,every day has been worse than the one before. That means each time you see me, that's on the worst day of my life." - Office Space

Great flick. I feel your feel, Peter Gibbons.

How do we change this? Or is this just the future mankind has laid out for itself. 1% of the worlds population will be kept in lavish luxury, another 12% will manage to stay happy because they've miraculously found a career doing what they love, while the other 87& of us are screwed...Passed between employers like used records, on and off various anti-depressants that keep us just sane enough that we don't go postal, on our office or ourselves, and hoping that our children will SOMEHOW find a way to do it better than we did, but secretly knowing that they're doomed to the same fate as us, because they weren't born into old money.

I hate the world....

OMG! Would you believe that I have a job? And that I work in "Workforce and Career Development"? Yeah, no $#!t, I'm a job developer! It's my job to help people find jobs! HA! What a world, huh?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (213) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

lakesia in Bronx, New York

14 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: Thanks, Beth. I am looking at the NYC area. It is stupid expensive, though. To be honest, I'd move anywhere that had a good job waiting for me. I was looking through New Mexico listings, earlier. I just want good, solid work that isn't going to lay me off a year later, something I can build around.

I wouldn't come to nyc Ive been here 2 years and its crazy expensive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jackie in Detroit, Michigan

11 months ago

So its not just me!!!! That's great to know lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

none in San Francisco, California

11 months ago

"Does anyone else see anything wrong with this? Why is no one else furious at the concept of living in a world where you are forced to do a job that you hate, just to pay off some bills that you are forced to pay?"

Considering how those people in India died when the building they were working in collapsed (some probably survived for at least a day buried under rubble not a pleasant way to go) and the people who die after working in buildings without emergency exits or who are only allowed to take a few minutes break during the day I consider most of us in this country fortunate. I guess the point is it's good to have perspective.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (41) Reply - Report abuse

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

11 months ago

Like all of the other animals on the planet, you get a chance at survival. Man likes to romanticize his situation, and pretend there is some greater good, but at the end of the day, if you have a roof over your head and food in your belly, you are surviving. If you survive long enough, you can have offspring.
The day you stop thinking in terms of "entitlement" and realize you are owed nothing, you can wake up.
You can live knowing you are surviving, and anything else is all gravy on those mashed potatoes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (43) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

We get to survive, and that is why being an economic slave is so hideous.
Your wallet is truly your "best friend". But the system now is so dependent on others for our survival.
How different it is, if one can take care of themselves and not be so totally dependent on the whole system.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

evilmai in Sydney, Australia

7 months ago

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana said: Like all of the other animals on the planet, you get a chance at survival. Man likes to romanticize his situation, and pretend there is some greater good, but at the end of the day, if you have a roof over your head and food in your belly, you are surviving. If you survive long enough, you can have offspring.
The day you stop thinking in terms of "entitlement" and realize you are owed nothing, you can wake up.
You can live knowing you are surviving, and anything else is all gravy on those mashed potatoes.

you know your comment does make sense, and does motivate me to stop bitching and toughen up, (though im not sure if its because of the value of what you have said or because of the way you have just said it). But then again with a mentality like that there would never be change .
Why must we conform to the way things are if it doesnt make us happy?
For things to be the way they are now somebody or some people must have had a choice to decide on it. Throughout history the world , but more importantly humans and our civilization has changed, old mindset, mentality and point of view has constantly changed and will continue to change. Values that we have now dramatically differ to values we had 100 years ago , but also some values stay.
i guess what im trying to say is ' is this the way humanity should live on earth , and/or could we improve the way we do things? could there be another way / system of running thing that would benefit everybody moreso? should our main goal as a species be to acculate more wealth than our peers?
i really believe life would be much more pleasing if it was more than just that

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer Hinds in Phoenix, Arizona

7 months ago

Why don't you get a job with the State as a Social Worker?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Fillinthegap in Reno, Nevada

7 months ago

PeterEgan in Long Beach, Mississippi said: At age 23, with about $300 to my name, I started a business and haven't looked back since. I own a home, have no mortgage or debt and make a good living.

What you're lacking is initiative, and you've only yourself to blame.

Good for you! I see we have another personality with all the answers. I'll just sit back and listen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

script86 in Washington, Michigan

7 months ago

ADDscrub in Canyon Country, California said: Does anyone else see anything wrong with this? Why is no one else furious at the concept of living in a world where you are forced to do a job that you hate, just to pay off some bills that you are forced to pay?

I've never held a job over about a year and a half, and every time it's because I just get sick of the job. It pours over into my personal life, I get deeply depressed and lose interest in EVERYTHING, and inevitably just trudge through work un-enthusiastically until I can't take it anymore and put in my two weeks, or they let me go. The following time spent unemployed, I manage to fill my head with ideas of the success and happiness which has, thus far, eluded me, until I build myself up enough so that my next job can slowly tear me down, back into this hole of depression.

"Ever since I started working ,every day has been worse than the one before. That means each time you see me, that's on the worst day of my life." - Office Space

Great flick. I feel your feel, Peter Gibbons.

How do we change this? Or is this just the future mankind has laid out for itself. 1% of the worlds population will be kept in lavish luxury, another 12% will manage to stay happy because they've miraculously found a career doing what they love, while the other 87& of us are screwed...Passed between employers like used records, on and off various anti-depressants that keep us just sane enough that we don't go postal, on our office or ourselves, and hoping that our children will SOMEHOW find a way to do it better than we did, but secretly knowing that they're doomed to the same fate as us, because they weren't born into old money.

I hate the world....

OMG! Would you believe that I have a job? And that I work in "Workforce and Career Development "? Yeah, no $#!t, I'm a job developer! It's my job to help people find jobs! HA! What a world, huh?

Thank you for the laugh, There are other people like me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Peet in Doha, Qatar

6 months ago

Exactly! I wonder why the whole world goes with the 5 day week and the 2 day weekend and then talk of stress and work pressure? Why can't the world slow down? As a whole? get a three day weekend? All this worry about man-made education and then man-made jobs all for pieces of paper that lets you buy more man-made junk which is supposed to make me happy just doesn't make sense to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

b in Capitol Heights, Maryland

6 months ago

PeterEgan in Long Beach, Mississippi said: At age 23, with about $300 to my name, I started a business and haven't looked back since. I own a home, have no mortgage or debt and make a good living.

shut up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Markp84 in United Kingdom

6 months ago

I'm a 29yr old guy from the UK and still don't know what I really want. I have an office job that pays the bills. I do have initiative to start something new, but I often lose interest and change to something else. Therefore, I may lack discipline or passion but not certainly not initiative.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Markp84 in United Kingdom

6 months ago

* but certainly

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Indie_One in Wichita, Kansas

6 months ago

showbiz – entertainer – traveler

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Better.luck.next.time in Albany, New York

6 months ago

Peet in Doha, Qatar said: Exactly! I wonder why the whole world goes with the 5 day week and the 2 day weekend and then talk of stress and work pressure? Why can't the world slow down? As a whole? get a three day weekend? All this worry about man-made education and then man-made jobs all for pieces of paper that lets you buy more man-made junk which is supposed to make me happy just doesn't make sense to me.

Yes! I don't buy the "be happy you're surviving" scraps that are thrown to everyone nowadays. If you've looked at what the world has accomplished over the centuries, it's obvious that there is room for more and more improvement. Just accepting that many people are unhappy with their work lives and that it SHOULD be that way is laziness in itself...you know, the people who say, "shut up and quit whining", accept it, etc. - now that's being lazy.

And before anyone starts with blah, blah, blah, that everything is industrialized, automated, etc. and that's what has made the world so much better today...Some of the biggest improvements have been in the understanding of man and in the understanding of his relationship to the world. Do we really think there is no more room for improvement there?

Did you know that circa Civil War times, it was believed that people NEEDED to be in pain to heal. Then some compassionate physician came along and showed that amputees healed faster when their stumps were wrapped in egg albumen as opposed to CAUTERIZED IN A VAT OF BOILING WATER. This was a leap in understanding that has changed the medical profession.

I feel as if we are at risk of leaving such simple observations behind - partly for the reason Peet has mentioned - the world needs to slow down. We've lost focus on simple happiness.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Better.luck.next.time in Albany, New York

6 months ago

Correction: Boiling oil, that is. Speaking of room for improvement, when is that darn edit button going to appear

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: EXACTLY to those statements! At the career counselor, I was looking for some fresh insights only to get the "what do you like" and "look at government job outlook page" (I forget the name, but it is totally useless with completely outdated statistics).

I was thinking the same thing.Career gurus aren't going tell the ugly facts. They consider that "negative thinking", so they focus on what you like to do. Problem with that is, it doesn't focus on what job you could get. They want you to think the options are wide open.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Better.luck.next.time in Albany, New York said: Yes! I don't buy the "be happy you're surviving" scraps that are thrown to everyone nowadays. If you've looked at what the world has accomplished over the centuries, it's obvious that there is room for more and more improvement. Just accepting that many people are unhappy with their work lives and that it SHOULD be that way is laziness in itself...you know, the people who say, "shut up and quit whining", accept it, etc. - now that's being lazy.

And before anyone starts with blah, blah, blah, that everything is industrialized, automated, etc. and that's what has made the world so much better today...Some of the biggest improvements have been in the understanding of man and in the understanding of his relationship to the world. Do we really think there is no more room for improvement there

I feel as if we are at risk of leaving such simple observations behind - partly for the reason Peet has mentioned - the world needs to slow down. We've lost focus on simple happiness.

I agree. It's dumbing people down, too. I've heard people say they don't need to buy a house, a small apartment is all you need. Well, that might be fine at age 24, but when you get older, you might want more privacy and quiet,and more space. When it becomes no longer an option, it's not so cool.

The idea that we are supposed to be happy with scraps is not what drove our ancestors onward. Yet, things are going back. Wages are going down, and the cost of living keeps rising. So do taxes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

evilmai in Sydney, Australia said: you know your comment does make sense, and does motivate me to stop bitching and toughen up, (though im not sure if its because of the value of what you have said or because of the way you have just said it). But then again with a mentality like that there would never be change .
Why must we conform to the way things are if it doesnt make us happy?
For things to be the way they are now somebody or some people must have had a choice to decide on it. Throughout history the world , but more importantly humans and our civilization has changed, old mindset, mentality and point of view has constantly changed and will continue to change. Values that we have now dramatically differ to values we had 100 years ago , but also some values stay.
i guess what im trying to say is ' is this the way humanity should live on earth , and/or could we improve the way we do things? could there be another way / system of running thing that would benefit everybody moreso? should our main goal as a species be to acculate more wealth than our peers?
i really believe life would be much more pleasing if it was more than just that

You totally misread what I wrote. I am not for economic slavery, where you are forced to work whatever just to get by.

I was talking about "the way things are" as opposed to "the way things ought to be".

Things will advance in the direction that they are going, because technology forces us to conform. To me,this is not a good or desirable thing.

But people want more and more technology.

Example: People want to get in and out of the check-out lines in the grocery store quickly. Businesses buy the latest technology, self-pay automated check-out scanners.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

--Continued--

This replaces a worker, and the business loves it because there is no problems with health insurance, workers comp, time off, sick time, maternity leave, you name it. The downside for everyone is...people are replaced by technology, and eventually, a lot of jobs will be done by machines.
There are people who think this is a good thing. They talk about how future man won't have to do menial or boring jobs. This is a simplification of things. We have far too many people to employ. Eliminating jobs only works when you have a small population and people can work the upper tier jobs.

Granted, you and I don't want machines replacing us. But business owners do and the motive is money. This in turn, lowers pay.

So the more technology people want, the worse it gets. People will say, "Oh, but you are bashing technology, and technology is what is allowing you to write on this website!" While that is true about accessing technology, we should question how much we really want or need.

Technology is not "bad". It is how something is used. Whether it's a car, a drug, a gun, a knife. An object is not evil. It is the agent, the man, who uses it to affect things.

So, are you the business owner who wants to replace people with technology to increase profits, or are you the employee who wants people to keep their jobs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

6 months ago

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana said: --Continued--

This replaces a worker, and the business loves it because there is no problems with health insurance, workers comp, time off, sick time, maternity leave, you name it. The downside for everyone is...people are replaced by technology, and eventually, a lot of jobs will be done by machines.
There are people who think this is a good thing. They talk about how future man won't have to do menial or boring jobs. This is a simplification of things. We have far too many people to employ. Eliminating jobs only works when you have a small population and people can work the upper tier jobs.

Granted, you and I don't want machines replacing us. But business owners do and the motive is money. This in turn, lowers pay.

So the more technology people want, the worse it gets. People will say, "Oh, but you are bashing technology, and technology is what is allowing you to write on this website!" While that is true about accessing technology, we should question how much we really want or need.

Technology is not "bad". It is how something is used. Whether it's a car, a drug, a gun, a knife. An object is not evil. It is the agent, the man, who uses it to affect things.

So, are you the business owner who wants to replace people with technology to increase profits, or are you the employee who wants people to keep their jobs?

You would like reading "The Lights in the Tunnel" by Martin Ford. I read it twice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: You would like reading "The Lights in the Tunnel" by Martin Ford. I read it twice.

Thanks will check it out.

Try reading The Technological Society by Jacques Ellul, translated from French by Vintage Press. "A penetrating analysis of our technical civilization and of the effect of an increasingly standardized culture on the future of man."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joss in Houston, Texas

6 months ago

Seeing a lot of the comments here, I feel validated and glad that there are others who realize this "sham" of the "career fulfillment myth, and the reality that, in the end, we are just creatures trying to survive. I think there are many who see this, but there is a great stigma in acknowledging it to others, and even to ourselves.

What does worry me, but mostly makes me sad, is that there does seem to be a growing system (is it modern-day capitalism and a dogmatic belief in technology? or something else?) that seems to be molding our mind and values at an unconscious level. It is as if we are being covertly coerced into taking a "mental pill" that will appease us enough to go on living at a more malleable level. It makes me wonder, how many "pills" have I taken? Have most of us consumed so many "pills" that an alternative way has become untenable? Do we even have a choice when our self-confidence and awareness has been trampled with?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Joss in Houston, Texas said: Seeing a lot of the comments here, I feel validated and glad that there are others who realize this "sham" of the "career fulfillment myth, and the reality that, in the end, we are just creatures trying to survive. I think there are many who see this, but there is a great stigma in acknowledging it to others, and even to ourselves.

What does worry me, but mostly makes me sad, is that there does seem to be a growing system (is it modern-day capitalism and a dogmatic belief in technology? or something else?) that seems to be molding our mind and values at an unconscious level. It is as if we are being covertly coerced into taking a "mental pill" that will appease us enough to go on living at a more malleable level. It makes me wonder, how many "pills" have I taken? Have most of us consumed so many "pills" that an alternative way has become untenable? Do we even have a choice when our self-confidence and awareness has been trampled with?

Why I think all the "positive thinking" is a problem...getting people to not think things are bad. The problem with not facing how bad things are is that the motive for change is removed.

I think we all can have deeper lives than just survival. There are things we enjoy, people we care to be with, arts and philosophies, etc. Learning about our world and science.

But as long as people are happy with winding up in a bar at the end of the week, numbing out, escaping through movies, trying to satisfy themselves with shopping at the mall, nothing will change.

I like your "pill" analogy. It's very much what one gets with "career counseling".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

inlimbo in Redmond, Oregon

6 months ago

A year of unemployment will take the materialistic qualities out of a person. I was never raised that way, but it is easy to get in the "I have to have" mode. The only good thing about unemployment was it made me humble again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

inlimbo in Redmond, Oregon said: A year of unemployment will take the materialistic qualities out of a person. I was never raised that way, but it is easy to get in the "I have to have" mode. The only good thing about unemployment was it made me humble again.

Yes, you look at the people who have never had to worry about the next day and wonder.
The ones complaining about their favorite TV show or their hair.

Even worse are our royalty, our fearless leaders who just turn their backs on this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

I would run for office, but I would never get elected. There is so much waste. People have forgotten to do what is right, not popular.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Peet in Doha, Qatar said: Exactly! I wonder why the whole world goes with the 5 day week and the 2 day weekend and then talk of stress and work pressure? Why can't the world slow down? As a whole? get a three day weekend? All this worry about man-made education and then man-made jobs all for pieces of paper that lets you buy more man-made junk which is supposed to make me happy just doesn't make sense to me.

Because everything is trying to keep up with technology. Technology that appears to be cool or fun later threatens your freedom.

Everything has to try to change you and me, to adapt to all of this, rather than the technology adapting to us.

Which, in turns, leads to problems, because man is not a robot.

You can see it now at the workplace, how people are being forced to work beyond what is humanly capable. Don't ever get sick, either.

Technology is one-directional.You can't go back unless you want to give things up, which isn't all that bad of a thing.

Once you have had your fill of it dominating your life, maybe growing your own food or living on some remote land seems very inviting. Not to say the grass is always greener...but there are things that man needs, such as freedom, ability to use his talents, and more.

What we have now forces people to be different than they are, it is oppression.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

inlimbo in Redmond, Oregon said: I would run for office, but I would never get elected. There is so much waste. People have forgotten to do what is right, not popular.

They will keep out anyone who would go against the system.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

It is all about who has the money, and now it ain't me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Voting is a sham now.

The politicians have their hands on everything else, why would they leave voting alone?
Do we believe they are honest about only this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

I think there are honest people who get into politics. Then realize they can't change what would be beneficial, and that they are not going to get re-elected.

TGPII in Chicago, Illinois

6 months ago

What happens when you know what you want to do in life, however can't get a job doing it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

TGPII in Chicago, Illinois said: What happens when you know what you want to do in life, however can't get a job doing it?

I have not ever been able to focus on what I want to do. It's what I can find.

6 months ago

I used to be able to focus on what I wanted, now it is what I can find. I am determined to make this job what I want.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

joe dirt in Williamsburg, Virginia

6 months ago

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana said: --Continued--

This replaces a worker, and the business loves it because there is no problems with health insurance , workers comp, time off, sick time, maternity leave, you name it. The downside for everyone is...people are replaced by technology, and eventually, a lot of jobs will be done by machines.

You are actually wrong. Technology provides far more jobs than it destroys. nevermind the people who develop it but people also need to build it and the infrastructure to support it. Next, people need to be trained how to USE it. Not to mention the implications on the economy and buying power or currency. At least since Karl Marx, people have been predicting that technology would create mass unemployment. However, these predictions were consistently wrong because they ignored the offsetting benefits of automation. For example, during the 19th century, machines took over tasks performed by weavers, eliminating 98 percent of the labor needed to weave a yard of cloth. But this mechanization also brought a benefit: It sharply reduced the price of cloth, so people consumed much more. Greater demand for cloth meant that the number of textile jobs quadrupled despite the automation.

Something similar is happening in quite a few occupations today. Because ATMs perform many teller transactions, fewer tellers are needed to operate a bank branch. But because it costs less to operate a branch office, banks dramatically increased the number of branches in order to reach a bigger market. More bank branches means more tellers, despite fewer tellers per branch.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LifeIsntElsewhere in South Bend, Indiana

5 months ago

TGPII in Chicago, Illinois said: What happens when you know what you want to do in life, however can't get a job doing it?

Do it anyways.

If you want to do something, just do it. Make that what life is about. I've met surfers who work numerous boring jobs because it supports their love. Travellers, Writers, Musicians. Don't expect to be paid money to do what you love.

This capitalistic economic society doesn't exist so that we can survive off of our dreams. It can support and allow us to live your dreams, but we must pay in. The only entitlements we have are the flesh on our boney hands. Nothing protects us from an early, terrible death by starvation or other violent ends. This is the Universe, not Disneyland. Life, death, suffering, struggle, beauty, thriving, domination, niche and phase are the main attractions: not our personal stories.

This is not a necessary state of affairs, this society; it is, however, our current state of affiars. Accepting that, assess your options.

This thread is resonant with me. I'm 29. I've travelled to the far corners of the earth for the last 5 years, 5 continents (the last 4 were done straight with no breaks). I recieved 0$ from charity or my family (my dad thinks I'm a lazy dreamer and my mother is a lazy dreamer with no money). The ocean of our real situation is daunting. There is no land for the taking, no homesteads, no incentive packages, no frontier where one can go and just start making alife. Well, none that is any easier than just starting it in America. There is no welcoming tribe in a faraway land that you can just decide to be a part of without hard, hard work earning respect and aptitude in that societies economic demands. This is the state of affairs.

Here are my hard earned notes on the situation:

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LifeIsntElsewhere in South Bend, Indiana

5 months ago

Look at society objectively: what is it. Society is a natural phenomenon which has arisen out of the cauldron of Earth's environments. It serves to sustain people in the flesh at the cost of tangible and intangible things we must sacrifice. This is what it is. Society demands sacrifice.

Society is a giant dragon made of cells of human lives. Please the dragon, earn rewards; anger the dragon, incur wrath. Avoid the dragon and, hey, you are on your own. Your choice.

I come to the dragon when I need some help, scratch his belly then take my earned wealth and invest it in my own life, in my own society, the world of my own creation.

We are not an island. We cannot survive alone. We need others. Ask not why others don't pay you to do what you love but rather ask 'what can you do for them?'

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

TGPII in Chicago, Illinois

5 months ago

What happens when you know what you want to do but can't get a job doing it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

5 months ago

TGPII in Chicago, Illinois said: What happens when you know what you want to do but can't get a job doing it?

You do what you don't want to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

5 months ago

joe dirt in Williamsburg, Virginia said: You are actually wrong. Technology provides far more jobs than it destroys. nevermind the people who develop it but people also need to build it and the infrastructure to support it. Next, people need to be trained how to USE it. Not to mention the implications on the economy and buying power or currency. At least since Karl Marx, people have been predicting that technology would create mass unemployment. However, these predictions were consistently wrong because they ignored the offsetting benefits of automation. For example, during the 19th century, machines took over tasks performed by weavers, eliminating 98 percent of the labor needed to weave a yard of cloth. But this mechanization also brought a benefit: It sharply reduced the price of cloth, so people consumed much more. Greater demand for cloth meant that the number of textile jobs quadrupled despite the automation.

Something similar is happening in quite a few occupations today. Because ATMs perform many teller transactions, fewer tellers are needed to operate a bank branch. But because it costs less to operate a branch office, banks dramatically increased the number of branches in order to reach a bigger market. More bank branches means more tellers, despite fewer tellers per branch.

Many people think like this and my question is "Then why track the unemployment rate?" Everything is fine.

Track the number of cow pies in Texas and draw economic conclusions from that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

skydiver03 in Anytown, New Jersey

5 months ago

LifeIsntElsewhere in South Bend, Indiana said: Look at society objectively: what is it. Society is a natural phenomenon which has arisen out of the cauldron of Earth's environments. It serves to sustain people in the flesh at the cost of tangible and intangible things we must sacrifice. This is what it is. Society demands sacrifice.

Society is a giant dragon made of cells of human lives. Please the dragon, earn rewards; anger the dragon, incur wrath. Avoid the dragon and, hey, you are on your own. Your choice.

I come to the dragon when I need some help, scratch his belly then take my earned wealth and invest it in my own life, in my own society, the world of my own creation.

We are not an island. We cannot survive alone. We need others. Ask not why others don't pay you to do what you love but rather ask 'what can you do for them?'

say that again???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

haloreach in Guelph, Ontario

5 months ago

I'm going to be 30 this spring and I am concerned how life is going too. This past year was lucky to work in a start up factory got to work a crap load . Made 50 grand but now. They hired other shifts so no more overtime. Right now just working just 40 hours a week afternoons. I'm learning machine programing . But haven't had a holiday in 2 years, they only pay once a year for entitlement or not. So everyone battles to get time off but henchs being summer time it's our busy time.

Haven't really had a date in 2 years working afternoons, just hadn't had time to meet anyone. I have a retired parent with slight disability mobilitly wise living with me . I love mom but if I move she will blame me for leaving. At work told what to do and at home have do a bunch of tasks. I try relax on Saturday play ps3 but with updates and haven't charged the controller all week I go away and do something else. There is a part of me want to get some call of duty in or play star craft 2 on computer, but end up feeling like wasting time and depressed my personal life sucks. So I go out and try to meet a couple of friends. But they talk about how many fun times at the bar I have missed.

Don't get me wrong I like a couple social drinks but bar life isn't my total focus either. So I end up going back home to play that game whatever. Another job search. I have been accepted in DeVry and Trios for computer networking and want to do that. But I don't have the 30 grand upfront just to pay for school. There are none of these schools in my town. Will have to travel but still making car payments on my basic gm car. Plus paid back my old school loan. Which I've knocked down 15,000 to just under 3 grand now. Here in Canada when you make 50 grand you pay 12 grand in taxes as a single person. Dispite trying to claim rent on taxes. I still owe the government 200 bucks. So got nothing back. In today's age just can't help the feeling that I am working for nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

5 months ago

Halo,

Just do your best and try to stay focused.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.