Information Technologu Career Advice

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

David in New City, New York

23 months ago

Hello everyone. I am hoping someone can give me some insight on where I can proceed to get my career started. I am currently 25 years old. I have an Associates in Computer Networking and Cyber Security, a Bachelors in Technology Management and I am CompTIA Security + Certified.

I am willing to take courses to add to my skills. However, clearly I am doing something wrong or looking in the wrong place for positions. Is there anything that I can explore to get going here. Every month that goes by, although I am always one to push forward and work hard, I cannot lie that it has become depressing.

I am willing to do whatever it takes to be successful. My main interests I would say is anything from Network Security to Computer Networking in general. I am willing to into any sect of this field if it means I can get a start. I have also looked up beginner course on programming.

Any help or advice you are willing to I sincerely appreciate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

23 months ago

David in New City, New York said: Hello everyone. I am hoping someone can give me some insight on where I can proceed to get my career started. I am currently 25 years old. I have an Associates in Computer Networking and Cyber Security, a Bachelors in Technology Management and I am CompTIA Security + Certified.

I am willing to take courses to add to my skills. However, clearly I am doing something wrong or looking in the wrong place for positions. Is there anything that I can explore to get going here. Every month that goes by, although I am always one to push forward and work hard, I cannot lie that it has become depressing.

I am willing to do whatever it takes to be successful. My main interests I would say is anything from Network Security to Computer Networking in general. I am willing to into any sect of this field if it means I can get a start. I have also looked up beginner course on programming.

Any help or advice you are willing to I sincerely appreciate.

You aren't doing anything wrong other than having choosen IT as a career. Without real world experience, its an uphill battle.

Others on the board will give you their pespectives as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

23 months ago

I would say that the best way to get a career in IT started is to find parents who have a friend who will give you a job. I really don't know how people get started these days. It seems like many get internships or student assistant positions that turn into real jobs.

Back in the day, computers were still a little mysterious and it was mainly the top students in math and science who learned anything about working with them. Now,computers have gone mainstream and there are lots of students of all ability levels studying for some sort of computer-related job so there is a lot more competition and a lot less opportunity to stand out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill

23 months ago

Jeff,

I wanted to see your opinion in regards to IT under the thread:

"Currently enrolled in MBA at University of Phoenix, considering withdrawing and going for associates"

A recruiter AskTheCareerLady wrote about IT and am just wondering what really is the truth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.