Interview Follow-Up

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

rschupp1019 in Brighton, Massachusetts

30 months ago

I had an interview with a company on Wednesday, March 21. The interview went well in my opinion and during the interview it was stated that I would be contacted in 1-2 weeks with a decision. I sent a Thank You Email on Friday, March 23, and got a response from the HR rep, one of the people who interviewed me, within hours thanking me for my follow up and saying that they would be in touch regarding next steps as soon as possible.

It is now Wednesday, April 4, two weeks after the interview, and I haven't heard anything. Would it be appropriate to send a polite Email asking about the position? Should I give it a few more days? Should I even bother following up again?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

MktProf in Schaumburg, Illinois

30 months ago

I know everyone here has differing views on 'the follow up' but my personal opinion is that it's okay at this point (since two weeks have passed) to send a brief and polite email to the HR lady to say that you are still interested in the position and wanted to inquire if it was still open. Was this a first interview or second interview, and if it was a first interview, did they mention if there was a second round?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

rschupp1019 in Brighton, Massachusetts

30 months ago

MktProf in Schaumburg, Illinois said: I know everyone here has differing views on 'the follow up' but my personal opinion is that it's okay at this point (since two weeks have passed) to send a brief and polite email to the HR lady to say that you are still interested in the position and wanted to inquire if it was still open. Was this a first interview or second interview, and if it was a first interview, did they mention if there was a second round?

This was a second interview, and I think I will send an email. The HR rep was very nice both during the interview and in her response to my thank you, so I don't think it will hurt. Thanks for the response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

MktProf in Schaumburg, Illinois said: I know everyone here has differing views on 'the follow up' but my personal opinion is that it's okay at this point (since two weeks have passed) to send a brief and polite email to the HR lady to say that you are still interested in the position and wanted to inquire if it was still open. Was this a first interview or second interview, and if it was a first interview, did they mention if there was a second round?

Email? How positively mundane. If you want to know the status, reiterate a few key points and show your continuing interest in the job, bake them a German Chocolate Cake and deliver it in person.

Its tough to put a German Chocolate Cake into the spam folder. lol!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

30 months ago

I don't see a problem with another follow-up email at this point. I know you want a response either way, but should also prepare yourself for the possibility that you may not get one.

Definitely keep applying for other jobs because you can never bank on a job coming through in this environment.

I love cake, but I wouldn't eat one from a job candidate. And I'd think it's creepy. Vouchers to a good local bakery would suffice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: I don't see a problem with another follow-up email at this point. I know you want a response either way, but should also prepare yourself for the possibility that you may not get one.

Definitely keep applying for other jobs because you can never bank on a job coming through in this environment.

I love cake, but I wouldn't eat one from a job candidate. And I'd think it's creepy. Vouchers to a good local bakery would suffice.

I dunno. I haven't "followed up" in years. I think that "follow up" like Thank You cards after an interview are a bit oversold in this market.

I could also never call a company and say "Did you get my resumaaaaay?" I would feel like such an a$$hole. Heh! But to each his own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

30 months ago

It might not help, but it certainly can't hurt.

You're right. I think in most instances they make the decision to hire regardless of any follow-up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

29 months ago

rschupp1019 in Brighton, Massachusetts said: I had an interview with a company on Wednesday, March 21... Should I even bother following up again?

You mentioned this was a second interview; why aren't you following up? Do you want the job or not? They were interested enough to interview you twice. At the very least you should be calling (not emailing) and politely reminding them they mentioned a timeline, so you wanted to let them know you were still interested, and could they give you an update on the status.

Keep in mind that they may be distracted by something else, and haven't made a decision yet. Help yourself stand out as someone who cares enough to follow up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

29 months ago

It doesn't hurt to check again. Find out when they'll make a decision. Ask them if you'll be contacted one way or the other. Show them that you're still interested in the job, but at the same, you don't want to a pest either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Resume Builders Pro in Johnston City, Illinois

29 months ago

rschupp1019 in Brighton, Massachusetts said: I had an interview with a company on Wednesday, March 21. The interview went well in my opinion and during the interview it was stated that I would be contacted in 1-2 weeks with a decision. I sent a Thank You Email on Friday, March 23, and got a response from the HR rep, one of the people who interviewed me, within hours thanking me for my follow up and saying that they would be in touch regarding next steps as soon as possible.

It is now Wednesday, April 4, two weeks after the interview, and I haven't heard anything. Would it be appropriate to send a polite Email asking about the position? Should I give it a few more days? Should I even bother following up again?

The next appropriate step would be to send a follow up letter, reminding them of your interest in the position. Generally, 1)resume & cover letter 2)post interview thank you letter 3) follow up letter. I would send a well crafted follow up letter for 2 reasons, they may be down to a few candidates, this would set you apart if done properly, and it will leave a good final impression of you and attest to your profesionalism, in case you apply for future jobs with the same company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.