Invited for 2nd Interview - would you?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (49)

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

17 months ago

Five hour drive each way. And I need to be composed enough to make a presentation when I get there. Four candidates. Is this worth a 25% shot at a job in my field?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York

17 months ago

Only the toes know for sure.

17 months ago

Personally,

I just don't have it in me any longer to do stuff like long drives, 6 interviews for 1 company, etc, etc, etc............just me though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

Well, that's kind of how I'm starting to feel too, Joe. I put my mom into a nursing home last week. I had to pack up her entire apartment.

I think I have worn out my welcome in my current space, and will need to move. Dad is in NM, maybe he will let me stay at his Texas house for awhile. It's a smaller town. Maybe my master's degree will get me a waitressing job.

I am so close to the end of my rope....

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

17 months ago

I would go for it...as long as I didn't promise my siblings beforehand that I'd stay put near the nursing home (to keep an eye on dear old mom).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

17 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: Five hour drive each way.

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: Is this worth a 25% shot at a job in my field?

It depends on how bad you want to work.

17 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: I would go for it...as long as I didn't promise my siblings beforehand that I'd stay put near the nursing home (to keep an eye on dear old mom).

No siblings here, just me. Hoping I can borrow my daughter's economy car, although, if unemployment comes through, maybe I can rent a cheap hotel.

17 months ago

Sounds like a good plan is starting to hatch.

If you do go, I hope you can rent a hotel room and unwind the night before. Eat a nice dinner somewhere. Pamper yourself with some wild nail polish on your toes (heck--no one will see it at the interview)! Take a bubble bath. At least enjoy your day out of town. You'll be relaxed and ready for that presentation. Wishing you good fortune!

17 months ago

Thanks Brat. Actually had a darn good idea for the presentation. So I guess I have to go now=)

17 months ago

You're a very clever, smart, and conscientious person. I hope they appreciate you and the hard work you'll be pouring into this. Let us know how it goes!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

catfish503 in portland, Oregon

17 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: Thanks Brat. Actually had a darn good idea for the presentation. So I guess I have to go now=)

Unix has a great idea! If you go for it, I wish you the best! X= (fingers crossed)

17 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: You're a very clever, smart, and conscientious person. I hope they appreciate you and the hard work you'll be pouring into this. Let us know how it goes!

Wow, I wish you were the head of the hiring committee! Thank you.

And to Cat too. The more crossed fingers the better!

17 months ago

We all deserve to treat ourselves -- keeps up our moods!

Almost, we're all rooting for you :)

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

17 months ago

I put my mom into a nursing home last week. I had to pack up her entire apartment.

I think I have worn out my welcome in my current space, and will need to move. I am so close to the end of my rope....

This is probably the hardest time in your life. Look at it this way: It can only get better.

Go to the interview. You may not get hired, but if you don't go, you won't get hired.

A change of scenery will do you good and give you a better perspective. Do the hotel and bubble bath and toe polish stuff too.

Good luck. I'll say a prayer for you to get the job.

17 months ago

touched, really. thanks.

17 months ago

One additional thought--take your own water just in case they don't offer any to you.

Last year, I had a half-day interview. And it started off with me giving a presentation (sound familiar, right?). Everybody came filing in with their nice waters, coffees, Mountain Dew's...I wasn't offered anything. I am sure my throat crackled. I didn't get the job (actually nobody got the job...the position was 'canceled'!!!)

Bluetea in Texas

17 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: One additional thought--take your own water just in case they don't offer any to you.

Last year, I had a half-day interview. And it started off with me giving a presentation (sound familiar, right?). Everybody came filing in with their nice waters, coffees, Mountain Dew's...I wasn't offered anything. I am sure my throat crackled. I didn't get the job (actually nobody got the job...the position was 'canceled'!!!)

I bring an "interview kit": water, maps, spare change, mints, power bars, etc". I keep it in the car.

Completely Broke and Broken in Cleveland, Ohio

17 months ago

My kit includes a flask.

17 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I bring an "interview kit": water, maps, spare change, mints, power bars, etc". I keep it in the car.

After last year's incident, I never leave home without a drink.

17 months ago

Completely Broke and Broken in Cleveland, Ohio said: My kit includes a flask.

When the interviewer asks why your speech is slurred,just say it's not slurred, "That's just my accent."

17 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I bring an "interview kit": water, maps, spare change, mints, power bars, etc". I keep it in the car.

Sounds like the makings of a bag lady. Maps? They still sell maps?

Bluetea in Texas

17 months ago

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York said: Sounds like the makings of a bag lady. Maps? They still sell maps?

Not for too much longer.

Calfornian in Hayward, California

17 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: Five hour drive each way. And I need to be composed enough to make a presentation when I get there. Four candidates. Is this worth a 25% shot at a job in my field?

Is it a good job? 10 hours of driving, probably a motel room, for a presentation wouldn't cut it for $40K/year. I'd want to be pretty comfortable about it before I dove in personally.

Isn't this normal in some fields too?

17 months ago

I interviewed for a position the same distance away recently and it was done via Skype, which makes more sense.

After sleeping on it, I think I will bow out. The position involves working with teens, and while I like working with teens as PART of my job, putting together programs for them, to me spells evenings and weekends.

The last time I drove 3 hours for an interview, they ended up giving the job to a person who had previously held the job, accomplished little to nothing, left for a "better" opportunity and decided to come back and continue to accomplish little to nothing.

Guess I need to keep looking....

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

17 months ago

Wow 5 hours each way for a job interview? That's dedication. I know you haven't gone, I'm just saying. While I don't like to discourage people for pursuing a particular job, I think you made a sound decision. It's about weighing all the pros and cons.

17 months ago

Now I need to figure out how to bow out gracefully. There might be another opportunity there some day that I would make it worth my while.

Bluetea in Texas

17 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: I interviewed for a position the same distance away recently and it was done via Skype, which makes more sense.

After sleeping on it, I think I will bow out. The position involves working with teens, and while I like working with teens as PART of my job, putting together programs for them, to me spells evenings and weekends.

The last time I drove 3 hours for an interview, they ended up giving the job to a person who had previously held the job, accomplished little to nothing, left for a "better" opportunity and decided to come back and continue to accomplish little to nothing.

Guess I need to keep looking....

I am surprised they didn't put * Must be willing to work nights, weekends and Christmas Day in the posting.

That usually cuts the applicant pool in half.

17 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I am surprised they didn't put * Must be willing to work nights, weekends and Christmas Day in the posting.

Ya think? These days?

17 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I am surprised they didn't put * Must be willing to work nights, weekends and Christmas Day in the posting.

THIS!!

LoL I bust out laughing so hard when I read this! That seems to be the trend these days.

17 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: Now I need to figure out how to bow out gracefully. There might be another opportunity there some day that I would make it worth my while.

Just thank them for the wonderful opportunity they presented you with, and tell that you have decided to pursue another opportunity that most closely fits where you are at, at this time. They feed job seekers a similar line all the time.

Completely Broke and Broken in Cleveland, Ohio

17 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: When the interviewer asks why your speech is slurred,just say it's not slurred, "That's just my accent."

Lol.

Bluetea in Texas

17 months ago

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia said: THIS!!

LoL I bust out laughing so hard when I read this! That seems to be the trend these days.

When I worked at the bank, they said something similar. * Must be able to lift 25 pounds. This was for teller positions.

This eliminated the feeble and the elderly.

17 months ago

So one of my references got a call and of course she raved about me. But still, four finalists, Ten hour round trip. I hate this crap.

17 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: So one of my references got a call and of course she raved about me. But still, four finalists, Ten hour round trip. I hate this crap.

Tough call...I hate this kind of stuff too! I always look at situation like this, if I don't do it will I regret it down the road or am I able to let it go and move on. Good luck! X=

17 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: Tough call...I hate this kind of stuff too! I always look at situation like this, if I don't do it will I regret it down the road or am I able to let it go and move on. Good luck! X=

Really, if I get a decent job, I won't regret it. If I am still looking in three months, probably will. That's why I want to be careful about how I decline so I can keep the option open later.

I'm wondering if I should call the higher up who checked my reference to decline, rather than the lower rank who contacted me to schedule the face to face?

17 months ago

Call both.

I would be frank with them, that your desired line of work isn't to work with teens 100% of the time.

I think they'll appreciate hearing that, and will keep you in mind for something else.

17 months ago

Thanks for that idea, Brat. I really didn't want to play the "just put mom in a nursing home" card.

17 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: Thanks for that idea, Brat. I really didn't want to play the "just put mom in a nursing home" card.

Yes, an even though it is 100% true, in the end the employer really only needs to hear "yes, I'll put my heart and soul into this position", or "thanks so much for your interest in me. Now that I know more about the duties and/or have had time to ponder working only with abc, I think you should go with someone else. I am sure working here and with you would be awesome, so please keep me in mind when there's an opening for xyz."

Even if the job was in the same city, probably better not to pursue something and miss out on something better for you.

17 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: Really, if I get a decent job, I won't regret it. If I am still looking in three months, probably will. That's why I want to be careful about how I decline so I can keep the option open later

That's what I meant by the regret part...I had a couple of opportunities and made some choices that I now regret and I'm still unemployed...For me it's hindsight, it easy to second guess after the fact. *}

17 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: That's what I meant by the regret part...I had a couple of opportunities and made some choices that I now regret and I'm still unemployed...For me it's hindsight, it easy to second guess after the fact. *}

So then I would ask, These days, many of us say take a job any job. And I'm wondering if the job you and I would love to put heart and soul into is a pipe dream?

I saw something on my ABC news app today that said only 30% of Americans were in jobs they loved (Gallup).

17 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: So then I would ask, These days, many of us say take a job any job. And I'm wondering if the job you and I would love to put heart and soul into is a pipe dream?

I saw something on my ABC news app today that said only 30% of Americans were in jobs they loved (Gallup).

My son loves his job! He's the only one I know who LOVES his job, so 30% sounds right! =}

17 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: My son loves his job! He's the only one I know who LOVES his job, so 30% sounds right! =}

My daughter is loving her free ( work hard and keep your grades up) college experience in NYC. I hope she finds work that she loves. And thank heavens she will never face my student loan nightmare.

The idea that our kids will be better off is certainly a comfort.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

17 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: So then I would ask, These days, many of us say take a job any job. And I'm wondering if the job you and I would love to put heart and soul into is a pipe dream?

With less people now responsible for doing more work, I am surprised its that high.

There are some miserable companies out there. I have worked for a few of them.

Bluetea in Texas

17 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: The idea that our kids will be better off is certainly a comfort.

No, we are actually producing a nation of Have Nots. Social Security will be broke in 20 years because fewer people are paying into it. Our most productive years are behind us now.

now.msn.com/overqualified-college-grads-are-mostly-underemployed

17 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: No, we are actually producing a nation of Have Nots. Social Security will be broke in 20 years because fewer people are paying into it. Our most productive years are behind us now.

now.msn.com/overqualified-college-grads-are-mostly-underemployed

Well, the X has done well. I believe the kiddo is going to come into a bit. But she's been out there helping with Sandy relief. She's opening her 401k and she's only still 19.

I won't have to park my shopping cart under a bridge. I am pleased that she will be lucky in that regard, but not oblivious by any means as to how she got there.

Bluetea in Texas

17 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: Well, the X has done well. I believe the kiddo is going to come into a bit. But she's been out there helping with Sandy relief. She's opening her 401k and she's only still 19.

I won't have to park my shopping cart under a bridge. I am pleased that she will be lucky in that regard, but not oblivious by any means as to how she got there.

Nice. In the next 20 years, "luck" will be an important part of the equation.

Some doomsday economists see the next 20 years as being a game changer. SS will be broke and the inheritance money will be gone.

ajag in Eolia, Missouri

17 months ago

Well if you haven't canceled the interview already..I'd think about how practical it would be to accept that job if offered. Where would you live?

jobseeker in Bethesda, Maryland

17 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: Five hour drive each way. And I need to be composed enough to make a presentation when I get there. Four candidates. Is this worth a 25% shot at a job in my field?

What are your alternatives? Any other interviews?

Almost Suicidal in Cypress, Texas

17 months ago

jobseeker in Bethesda, Maryland said: What are your alternatives? Any other interviews?

I'm still interviewing fairly regularly. Housing in south Texas is pretty cheap so I'm still looking at options down that way, just not this one.

I would go down and start of in a weekly rate hotel or rent a room from some nice little old lady and get money together for a little place.

Going to see about a tech support job today.

Thanks to everyone for the replies=)

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.