Is depression setting in?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 61)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Keith Hod89 in Niles, Illinois

26 months ago

I have been out of work for way too long and see us heading into another downturn over the next 6-12 months. I don't know what I will do when my retirement funds run dry. Is there any hope left in America today? Can I get help at the food pantry?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Investor Guy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

26 months ago

Yes I'm definitely depressed. It's also boring sitting at my desk looking for work for hours when I'd rather be working. Every day I get a little poorer, older and less employable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

26 months ago

Quote "Is there any hope left in America today?"

I doubt things will ever return to what they were before the recession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Wurtsboro, New York

26 months ago

I agree the economy will get a lot worse.

There is no hope.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

26 months ago

Alec Guinness is dead, and he was the only hope.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Seen the pic circulating around facebook?

*picture of Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, Steve Jobs*

NO HOPE, NO CASH, NO JOBS

*picture of Kevin Bacon*

PLEASE DON'T DIE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brooklyn Babe in Brooklyn, New York

26 months ago

I keep looking and looking and looking, some sales jobs post an opening in every city in the area. Makes one think wow there are several new jobs today, and after you comb through the trash, not a single thing to apply to. Some days I feel so helpless. Everyone wants money from you, but I have less to give, they are going to tax me to death. Hearing about several cites that are now filing for Chapter 9. San Bernardino is the third one in CA this year. Scranton, PA was yesterday and they said all city workers will get minimum wage of $7.25. I can't imagine a police officer getting that much of a cut. I am sure that is not the end of this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

26 months ago

My husband sure knows how to make me feel good some days. He doesn't mean to nag, but hearing him say "we need 2 incomes" all the time doesn't make me feel better. I told him I don't control the economy or which employers are hiring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Walden, New York

26 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: Seen the pic circulating around facebook?

*picture of Kevin Bacon*

PLEASE DON'T DIE!

Good one Nicky.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Walden, New York

26 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: Seen the pic circulating around facebook?

*picture of Kevin Bacon*

PLEASE DON'T DIE!

Funny guy you are Nick. Because of you I'm not going blow my brains out right now.

Kim in Chicago, Illinois

26 months ago

We need someone to give us some humor. Can't be sad 24 hours a day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

I wish I could say that it was my joke, but it wasn't. I think I got it from George Takei's page. He's very active on Facebook. I waste waaaaay too much time on there. =P

I already have an interview lined up with Whole Foods back in the NYC area. Kind of funny how they wouldn't give me the time of day in Boston, but in the NYC area I'm already talking to the regional hiring manager. It would be for a leadership position....we'll see. I'm going to wear a suit, regardless of what they wear. I've worn suits to opportunities that were much less exciting than this one could be.

26 months ago

I'm beyond the point of depression. That being said, I like living even if it's in a cardboard box. Not living seems pretty permanent, and I'm not particularly religious, so I feel that I have plenty of time to check out what that's like when I get there. ;)

But yeah haven't had a good job for 2.5 years and haven't had a girlfriend in that long either, so I'd be lying to say that I'm happy. Hopefully, this move will change that. There are some things about Boston that I will miss, and there are some things that I really, *really* will not miss at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano, Texas

26 months ago

Sometimes difficult times in our life makes us stronger.
No matter how bad your situation is... it could always be worse.

Lots of cities are broke in the USA. The politicians say raise taxes to get out of the red. If people are not even paying their mortgage and property taxes, how will broke cities make up the shortfall?

26 months ago

Beth in Plano, Texas said: Sometimes difficult times in our life makes us stronger.
No matter how bad your situation is... it could always be worse.

Lots of cities are broke in the USA. The politicians say raise taxes to get out of the red. If people are not even paying their mortgage and property taxes, how will broke cities make up the shortfall?

Why is it that millions of people everywhere can take a plot of land and make a thriving metropolis in Sim City, but real-life politicians can't seem to handle it? Do you know what happens when you slide the police, fire, and ambulatory wages all the way to the left in the game? THEY LEAVE. Enjoy your riots!

Brooklyn Babe in Brooklyn, New York

26 months ago

Then talk about the death rate going way up. We are in a very bad cycle and nobody really knows how long it will last or when it will end.

endoftheworld in Sandy Hook, Connecticut

26 months ago

well I'll try here, my other response to TK's offensive post (crime rates) about fat welfare people with smartphones and new clothes would NOT take.
Talk about depressing: at today's interview the guy said the gov't is trying to kill us with pharmaceuticals and genetically enhanced food and mentioned chemtrails, am sure those of you into conspiricy theories know what that is.
Anyhow the guy was a raving loony and I might be offered the job at $20/hr or I may never hear back again... The interview was over 90 minutes in his kitchen, he was popping raisins into his mouth the whole time and told me the FDA and pharma co. are out to "get him". Too tired to go into more depth on the strangest interview anybody has ever had. And Yes, the "estate" WAS incredible, I felt embarrassed parking my rusting Corolla in the front. OMG.
Am glad Joe you are not going to blow your brains out, you are quite amusing yourself ya know.

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

26 months ago

Nice piece of comedy, endoftheworld. I hope you get it? I think?

Average in Medford, Massachusetts

26 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland

26 months ago

Honestly, I can not, for the life of me, figure out how some folks on public assistance (some of them, certainly not all!) seem to live better than me when I had a decent paying job.......

Anyway, for me, hope left town a few years ago. It rears it's head once in a while with a job posting or a call for an interview, neither of which I ever hear back from. Every time I think the economy just might, maybe, be turning around, it seems to sink right back again.

About the only thing keeping me going is the sense of humors I see going on in these forums.

Bryan Cranston was interviewed on tv this morning. Great way to start the morning!! But the interview just wasn't long enough of course.....

26 months ago

Giancarlo Esposito is in two new shows (Once Upon a Time and Revolution) and I am watching both of them just because he's on it. Though Jennifer Morrison is pretty to look at also ;)

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

26 months ago

You know if any of the people that I usually converse with on Indeed ever need a great reference I'll give it...no strings attached. We all need every bit of help in these tough times.

I can be your college professor from Yale...aka The Professor from Gilligan's Island
A past boss from the job you never really had...aka Tony Soprano
Your priest...Father Mulcahy
The nonprofit you gave so much time to...(The Second Mile Non-Profit.)
A client of yours................

I have been getting depressed lately. Thinking about having to work in my 70's now. I mean how many friggin 70 year old meth dealers do you hear about.

What do you think the average retirement age will be in 20 years from now? I think now it's like 67.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Our Buddy Bryan is in his 50's and it looks like he will make it a few more years, so there is hope..........

Tony I could almost see.... follow through on what he says. My brother and sister in law live in NJ and know people from the general area the Sopranos took place... right on the money is what I'm told..

In 20 years, people will have to to work to about 80. Either die on the job or the day after leaving, no time to enjoy what life is left.....

Sal in Salt Lake City, Utah

26 months ago

We will work till we drop. Instead of getting to work by car, our children will be wheeling us to work in our wheel chairs. Social Security will be gone, so we need to keep supporting ourselves by working. Walmart had a lady greeter wasn't she near 100 a few years back?

26 months ago

I grew up in NJ, and will be returning there. Sopranos is spot on. That's why I laughed when some Italian American league or some such railed against the show as being stereotyping and insulting (when they were airing new episodes). Seriously? Every Italian in north jersey acts and looks like either Tony or Carmela....

I think part of the appeal of The Walking Dead for me, is that I wish the zombie apocalypse would just hurry up already. I would be an excellent leader in a town in a state of chaos, and I've watched enough crap to know how to survive. My value would go through the roof, every HR rep would want me suddenly. Their fat, timid butts certainly wouldn't survive without my help. =D

Bluetea in Texas

26 months ago

Sal in Salt Lake City, Utah said: We will work till we drop. Instead of getting to work by car, our children will be wheeling us to work in our wheel chairs. Social Security will be gone, so we need to keep supporting ourselves by working. Walmart had a lady greeter wasn't she near 100 a few years back?

My older sister retired at 67. On the day she left she was walking with a cane and taking 3x 800 mgs of Vicodin a day. She was in pain every day. She was actually on the verge of being fired. She suffered every day until she had Medicare.

Now my younger sister is only 53 and she is already having health problems and I don't think she is going to make it another 10 years.

None of us are long lived so we don't have to worry about being in our 80's.

endoftheworld in Glastonbury, Connecticut

26 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: Nice piece of comedy, endoftheworld. I hope you get it? I think?

I responded to your note yesterday but once again, either it was blocked by the site or my i-net STILL isn't working right (I keep losing connectivity and just bought a new $100 modem).
Yeh, that guy i interviewed with was pretty interesting probably as crazy as or possibly crazier than me, certainly smarter/luckier? to have the $ to live in a mansion in an area with a name like "Singing Oaks". we likely would've gotten along tho I try not read too much on conspiricy theories like chemtrails and population reduction. Talk bout depressing (don't look this up people or you'll be up until 2am). He told me about genetic modification (specifically Monsanto) and mentioned Kashi cereal which i eat and turns out he was right about them using genetically modified ingrediants which I had not heard of prior i thought it was one of the healthiest cereals out there.

No call back today so likely as not I didn't get the job. I have massive tension headache from the stress of waiting for the phone to ring tho not really expecting it.

the WORST interviews are the ones you are really lead to believe you are going to get an offer as soon as you get home, mainly because the interviewer says things like "I think you will be a good fit for this position" and offering me $20/hr when it was advertised as $18 AND offering health insurance when he currently does NOT provide it and in general talking as if the job were allready mine.

on a "positive" note I got a written rejection letter for a job i applied to over 3 months ago at a town hall, I for the life of me could not figure why i got a letter from the 1st. Selectmans office for this town until i opened the letter.

26 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: Honestly, I can not, for the life of me, figure out how some folks on public assistance (some of them, certainly not all!) seem to live better than me when I had a decent paying job

This is NOT possible on State Aid alone, least not in CT. I suspect some of the people you are certain are on welfare assistance and claim they are not working are actually working for cash and don't report it, that is the only way I can see being able to buy and maintain a smart phone and buy new clothes etc.
The other thing is they may live with working family members they are not reporting (like an unmarried couple claiming to be single and living alone etc). Of course it's fraud to do so and I cannot even speculate how many people have the balls to do it because the forms ask very specific questions like "have you worked in the past yr?" and "how do you pay your bills?" who knows? maybe they've got some rich benefactors/resses? I ought to find ME one...

26 months ago

endoftheworld in Glastonbury, Connecticut said: This is NOT possible on State Aid alone, least not in CT. I suspect some of the people you are certain are on welfare assistance and claim they are not working are actually working for cash and don't report it, that is the only way I can see being able to buy and maintain a smart phone and buy new clothes etc.
The other thing is they may live with working family members they are not reporting (like an unmarried couple claiming to be single and living alone etc). Of course it's fraud to do so and I cannot even speculate how many people have the balls to do it because the forms ask very specific questions like "have you worked in the past yr?" and "how do you pay your bills?" who knows? maybe they've got some rich benefactors/resses? I ought to find ME one...

Certainly, if one is playing by "the rules", public assistance doesn't pay the bills, let alone provide a good life. But at least in Maryland they get free cell phones and a few other perks which the working poor can't afford...... and I certainly would not rule out the lying/ cheating aspect.

26 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said:
None of us are long lived so we don't have to worry about being in our 80's.

A month or so ago a friend was asking me about my genes (good ones there, grandfathers lived to 100, parents in their late 80s now) and commented "at least you have that going for you". Out of my mouth came something like "the way things are going (job wise etc), I really, truly don't want to see 100 living like THIS"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: I grew up in NJ, and will be returning there. Sopranos is spot on. That's why I laughed when some Italian American league or some such railed against the show as being stereotyping and insulting (when they were airing new episodes). Seriously? Every Italian in north jersey acts and looks like either Tony or Carmela....

The ACLU (probably was some Italian league) needs to justify their existence somehow <EG>

Christopher Moltisanti was in another shorter lesser known series called "Life On Mars". I liked it.....

26 months ago

I got the forms sent to me for the free cell phone. I don't know how i got it. It's a no frills phone, just for calling, and only 250 min. per month, i'd go thru that in a week, it's meant to be used for emergencies/necessary calls not for chatting with your friends. I believe that people using any form of public assistance such as SNAP qualify, have no idea what the income guidelines are but they are like the $9.99 cheap phones one can buy at the drug store. There are likely people who cannot afford a landline so the free cell phone is there only contact with the outside world, that is whom the phones are intended for am sure.

There are definitely benefits to NOT working vs. working a low paying job unless that low paying job will lead to a higher paying one but from all the posts I have read here and elsewhere it doesn't seem like anybody who got hired for say a min. wage cashier job at Target and worked there for a yr. was then getting job interviews/offers as exec. assist. for $18/hr. even if that was what they did before.

However that pt. is irrelevant, there are likely thousands of people such as myself who simply will not be offered ANY job, afterall we cannot MAKE someone hire us. After almost 4 yr.s I'd be kinda shocked if somebody wanted to hire me and I applied to ALOT of stores when I was newly unemployed so I know it's not JUST the gap but likely my shoplifting arrest. My opinion is you just can't throw people out on the streets to starve to death, obviously they should not be able to live a middle class life on public aid and if they are I don't know how they get away with it unless they got cash income and $ stuffed under the mattresses, but you'd think most poor people are not that clever to scam the system.

26 months ago

I'm two weeks from going all in, so we'll see. Hopefully the NYC/NJ area has more potential for me than Boston did, because 1000 apps later, I've been spinning my tires in Boston.

Changed my 401K to an IRA, so I can take money out of it without needing to take it all out at once. Hopefully, I won't have to do that. But really if this move doesn't work, it's the psych ward for me. =)

26 months ago

Nick where will you live? did you have relatives other than your father or can you move in with him temporarily? my mother lives in a 1 bedroom sr. housing complex so that kinda not be an option if I had to move but hopefully you won't have to sleep in your car?

26 months ago

I supposedly have a realtor looking for me, though she hasn't gotten back to me today. My biggest problem, will be finding a landlord who will be OK with the fact that while I have money up front, I don't have a job going into the lease. I could get my current job to transfer me, but even that wouldn't be enough to satisfy salary minimums from landlords. So. We'll see!

If I really had to, I could go all in, cash everything out, and have about $20,000 cash. Once I was through that though, I'd be totally penniless. I'm not worrying about it. Things are either going to work out or they won't. All I know for a fact right now is, I have to be out of here in like 17 days.

26 months ago

Ia the landlord still making noise about taking you to court, or was Saul able to take care of that for now?

26 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: Ia the landlord still making noise about taking you to court, or was Saul able to take care of that for now?

He did a complete 180, and chalked it all up to being unable to read people over emails. So apparently, we're good. He's showing up today, so we'll see if we're still good after that. Neither of my roommates are ready for inspection, so this should be interesting =D

mary in Tampa, Florida

26 months ago

There's three of you in that apartment. How much is the rent?

26 months ago

mary in Tampa, Florida said: There's three of you in that apartment. How much is the rent?

$1900/mo for a three bedroom. Once he's done with renovations, probably somewhere in the mid 2000's.

26 months ago

Honestly, that's less than what I would have expected. Houses on my street that have rented have been about 1200/ month for a small 2 bedroom 1 bath duplex.

26 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: Honestly, that's less than what I would have expected. Houses on my street that have rented have been about 1200/ month for a small 2 bedroom 1 bath duplex.

Yes, the low rent is pretty much the ONLY reason that I've stayed here for as long as I have. Now that it's gone, I have no reason to stay here.

Also, the heating system is a solid 40 years old, there is no insulation (we bake in the summer and freeze in the winter), like 5 rooms all feed of the same electrical circuit, and the place hasn't been in any way painted/sanded/redone in 2 decades. So...there's that. =)

Most places also include heat/hot water in the rent...this place did not. We paid for all of our own utilities, and that bill was a beast in the winter.

Kim in Chicago, Illinois

26 months ago

Why did you decide to move to the Boston area in the first place? Did you relocate from a previous job when times where better than today? How did you find the guys you room with? Will you find someone to share your new place with, or you can find a room mate that already has a place and is looking for someone to split the bills with. Moving to another city is hard, never done it and never will. Family is here so I will remain.

Yep in Marion, Iowa

26 months ago

Yeah, I have my fits of depression. I know that my situation could be worse, but its still pretty hard.

One of the things I have to do is stay off facebook, then maybe I won't compare my life to other peoples, like my friend, who's biggest problem is deciding whether to join Match.com or not. Arrgghhh.

26 months ago

Kim in Chicago, Illinois said: Why did you decide to move to the Boston area in the first place? Did you relocate from a previous job when times where better than today? How did you find the guys you room with? Will you find someone to share your new place with, or you can find a room mate that already has a place and is looking for someone to split the bills with. Moving to another city is hard, never done it and never will. Family is here so I will remain.

My mom passed in 2006, and I couldn't psychologically stay in the area. Too many familiar places and such. I moved to Boston with no family or friends here, and no job lined up. Lucky enough to get that 62K a year job that I had for 3 years, then got let go from that and have been living the poor life for the last 2.

I can afford to live by myself, back in Jersey. It may not be the choicest digs around, but it'll be my space that maintains my level of cleanliness and has privacy from other people. I don't want to do the roommate thing again. With any luck, the next roommate I have will be my girlfriend. I found my current roommates on Craigslist, but it was really sheer luck that they aren't axe murderers and I don't want to go through that process again (nor do I have the time to interview and such, I have to be out of here in two weeks).

7Angels in Manhattan, New York

26 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: You know if any of the people that I usually converse with on Indeed ever need a great reference I'll give it...no strings attached. We all need every bit of help in these tough times.

I can be your college professor from Yale...aka The Professor from Gilligan's Island
A past boss from the job you never really had...aka Tony Soprano
Your priest...Father Mulcahy
The nonprofit you gave so much time to...(The Second Mile Non-Profit.)
A client of yours................

I have been getting depressed lately. Thinking about having to work in my 70's now. I mean how many friggin 70 year old meth dealers do you hear about.

What do you think the average retirement age will be in 20 years from now? I think now it's like 67.

Hey Joe, I'm new to this forum. I'm in the healthcare field and have been out of work over a year. CAN NOT find a job ANYWHERE in NY. Retirement account almost down to zero. Everyone is so afraid of getting sued these days so I can't even get a reference for a potential job. Do you have an email address I can email you? I'm very private and keep everything confidential. I was on another forum and this person wrote about opening up a business called "rent-a-reference." That could be a business for you. I would give anyone a reference in these times and I would hope someone would do the same for me, BUT...not so. I even had a former supervisor, who I asked to give me a reference EMAIL me asking to borrow $350. She makes about $96k/year. Unethical, yes. I'm on public assistance which I am totally ashamed of and this woman is asking to borrow money from me. I would help anyone to get a job and would hope SOMEONE would do the same for me. Everyone, in any field, I believe should try to help one another in getting employment ESPECIALLY in these DIFFICULT and DEPRESSING economic times. Depressed is an understatement in my case. Ready to give up. Does anyone else feel the same?

mary in Tampa, Florida

26 months ago

I am set up in LinkedIn. I have 16 connections (not many, but not 0). Every one of my connections have given me job tips, or just looked good being my connection.

Beth in Plano, Texas

26 months ago

7Angels,

What was your job in the healthcare field?

26 months ago

Beth in Plano, Texas said: 7Angels,

What was your job in the healthcare field?

Believe it or not....Registered Nurse. I was laid off about 5 years ago and desperate for work, I went into home care. I was also doing school nursing, setting up clinics for flu shots, immunizations, worked in Drs. offices...all through an agency. They were committing medicaid fraud and they knew I was aware of it, so they suddenly started to cut my hours, treating me like garbage, etc. I've applied at every hospital and unless you have a BSN, or enrolled in a BSN program, they don't want you. YET, a new grad will be hired over a nurse with 19 years of experience (me). But there are also many new grad RNs not finding jobs. I NEVER thouht I would have a hard time finding a job. Sorry to ramble, but if you google "is there a nursing shortage?", you'll see what I'm talking about. I've applied for jobs as a waitress, cashier, pet care, etc. etc., BUT, because there is a falsified message being sent out that we are in dire need of nurses...nobody is going to hire an RN. There are jobs in Texas, AZ, and more rural areas. I was even offered a home care job paying (are you ready) $8.00/hr. IN NY!! The wages here suck, although $30/hr might sound good, it's not when the cost of living is the highest in the country. Sorry to ramble, but that's part of my story. The G is stuck on my computer. Sorry. Are you a nurse?

26 months ago

mary in Tampa, Florida said: I am set up in LinkedIn. I have 16 connections (not many, but not 0). Every one of my connections have given me job tips, or just looked good being my connection.

What line of work are you in? I was never quite sure how linkedin worked. I believe I have my resume on there, but never received a phone call or an email. I thought it was mainly for HR people, headhunters looking to hire. I know a few people on linked in, but I don't understand how the "connections" can help; if you could explain that I'd greatly appreciate it. In my case the people I know are my sister-in-law (who is an elem. school teacher), the woman that did my resume and when I submitted it...every place I submitted it to several positions, the hiring managers would ask me if I had another resume that was more easy to read. A big waste of $375. She essentially copied it out of a book. If I could rate her, I would give her a zero. Well, anyway, maybe I should try to get connections. Does it help to get connections with people who are not in your field? Any advice would help. Thanks so much.

26 months ago

P.S. I'm a very fast typist, and I just noticed I left a few words out. Sorry. :-)

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.