Is it rude to ask your salary during an interview?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

tgtbtj in west, Texas

49 months ago

Hi I just did an interview today at a private school in my area. The position was for a teachers aide, only part time. The interview went great and I was answering all the questions right but then the teacher that was doing the interview with the prinipal starts talking about money and how she doesn't get paid very much but she's loyal and it's not about the money, and that if I were to get the job and then someone were to offer me more money somewhere else if I would take the job? She was pretty much rambling about the whole money issue. It got me thinking about how much the salary even was so when towards the end of the interview I decided to ask "I'm just curious, how much would the salary be if I were hired?" The principal didn't seem to be bothered by my question and answered me in a straightforward way but still I feel like maybe it was rude of me to ask. What do you all think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

T in Boston, Massachusetts

49 months ago

I don't really think the way you brought it up was a problem. You don't want to go into an interview saying immediately, "Okay, what's the pay, that's all I really care about." Likewise you don't want to state pay requirements in cover letters, as said. But asking at the end of the interview especially when one of the interviewers has been making a huge deal over salary, I don't know, that seems okay. In my experience, if you want to know, you can't wait until they bring it up, because they usually don't bring it up in a direct way. Not until after you're hired.

On the other hand, I have had interviews where the first thing out of the interviewer's mouth is, "What's your current salary?" I consider THAT kind of rude, personally.

Angellee in Tampa, Florida

49 months ago

I don't think it was rude of you to ask the salary, but people usually wait until they're offered the position before discussing salary. I've had interviewers ask me what salary I was looking for. I'd read that it was best to throw it back at them by asking, "What is the salary range for the position?" I tried that and it didn't work. The interviewer said, "Well, what salary are YOU looking for?" He made me quote a salary to him. I didn't like doing this because you don't want to say something too high or too low. I felt it was rude of him to ask that question.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.