Job offer today

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

amanda87 in Buffalo, New York

32 months ago

So today I went on a second interview for a for private agency (been in business for over 20 years). The first interview was a month ago and the other one was today. I met with the employer for almost 1.5 hours today talking about job description, expectation, job security, benefits and salary. She offered me the job at the salary I wanted. I told her I could start September 9th she said that was good, I mentioned new hire paperwork and she initially said I could come in any time next week to fill it out then said it would probably be better to do on my first day of work on September 9th. Has this been the norm for people or have you always had something signed to say what the job offer is? ... Just nervous to give my two weeks with my current employer...I did however put my two weeks in at another job without doing new hire paperwork first. I also forgot to ask if background test and urine test would be done...I have no worries with doing that but do you think I should send her an email asking about these things?...I don't want to come off as if I don't trust her lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

bluemoon85 in bemidji, Minnesota

32 months ago

I would ask for a written job offer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

neednewjob in Chicago, Illinois

32 months ago

First, congrats on a new job.

Don't give notice until you get a written job offer and any drug/background checks are complete. Even if you know you're squeaky clean, labs make mistakes. Background checks can make mistakes, especially if you have a common name.

I was given a verbal offer on July 31. After paperwork and all tests, I didn't get the all clear from my new employer until last night. I will be giving notice tomorrow. But if I had given notice on July 31, I would have been spending at least a week unemployed. If a mistake had been made by my checks, I would have been in a real bind.

32 months ago

Ok I will ask for the job offer in writing. How do I go about asking without coming off as if I don't trust the company?

32 months ago

Thank you! I am excited....and thank for the info I am going to send an email but I just have to decide how to word it so it does not come off as if I don't trust her lol

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: First, congrats on a new job.

Don't give notice until you get a written job offer and any drug/background checks are complete. Even if you know you're squeaky clean, labs make mistakes. Background checks can make mistakes, especially if you have a common name.

I was given a verbal offer on July 31. After paperwork and all tests, I didn't get the all clear from my new employer until last night. I will be giving notice tomorrow. But if I had given notice on July 31, I would have been spending at least a week unemployed. If a mistake had been made by my checks, I would have been in a real bind.

neednewjob in Chicago, Illinois

32 months ago

I'd simply ask if they are able to provide the written offer letter. If they say no to this, take it as a red flag. You don't need to give details or say you are apprehensive, just say, "would it be possible for me to receive the offer in writing for my personal files?"

Also ask what the next steps in the onboarding process are. This will give them the opportunity to disclose any background d checks, drug tests, etc.

oscargalvan in Dallas, Texas

32 months ago

bluemoon85 in bemidji, Minnesota said: I would ask for a written job offer

I agree. It is always best to get it in writing. The employer should not get offended.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.