Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

55 months ago

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

endoftheworld in West Hartford, Connecticut

55 months ago

This is too vague for me to sign. am sure the Powers that be KNOW we exist just like they are aware there are homeless people. This short letter doesn't sound very compelling or as a call to action. I'd sign something that help the long term unemployed get jobs, either a training program for a specific job opening or tax credits for the employer to hire anyone who'd been out of work for a year or more with something like the longer the person has been out of work the more credits they will get. Never gonna happen tho.

There were a bunch of "submit your unemployment story" drives circulating a few yrs. ago for people who wanted a Tier V and why it was important unemployment is not discontinued. I would write my story but then not submit as it had to be with real name and it was likely to end up in the internet and alls I need is my whiney story to Congress how I've been unemployed for over 2 years and can't get a job. I think the pt. of the petitions/stories was to garner sympathy but it may of had the opposite effect as Tier V was never instituted and neither was anything else done for the very long term unemployed.

From what I've been reading about all this new smart phone technology stuff, even cashiers will become obsolete in the near future, tho with self checkouts in many places they allready are...I've been thinking how there seems to be no lower level jobs here to apply to 'cept retail. Once those jobs are eliminated the "new normal" rate of UE will get even higher than this 7-8% we seem stuck on now. in CT by 2016 they're sposed to raise min. wage to $9.50, but there is so much outcry AGAINST it so what hope do the unemployed have if the underemployed are getting next to nothing?

Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Silver Spring, Maryland

55 months ago

Actually, the govt. does count the "discouraged workers". The news media just doesn't make an issue of it, since it's far easier just to report a single number than it is to explain all the different categories. And unemployment is far less exciting than bombings and tornados.

Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Okay. Never mind. Why can't I just become apathetic? I'll work on that next.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

55 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: Okay. Never mind. Why can't I just become apathetic? I'll work on that next.

With all due respect, I have seen many attempts to "raise awareness" about the plight of the unemployed over the years but nothing ever comes of it. Occupy Wall Street came close though. We have been back page news ever since.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

55 months ago

Jeff in Silver Spring, Maryland said: Actually, the govt. does count the "discouraged workers". The news media just doesn't make an issue of it, since it's far easier just to report a single number than it is to explain all the different categories. And unemployment is far less exciting than bombings and tornados.

The unemployment numbers and there are 6 of them, are important only to the unemployed and to politicians up for re-election. Put another way, are you really interested in Lindsay Lohan's latest antics? This is how many people look at the unemployment situation.

Most of our wealth now lies in intellectual property not in building Oldsmobiles any more.

Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: With all due respect, I have seen many attempts to "raise awareness" about the plight of the unemployed over the years but nothing ever comes of it. Occupy Wall Street came close though. We have been back page news ever since.

Sometimes a little red wine generates a lot of enthusiasm. I did think the site was looking pretty good before I deleted it;)

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

ThinkAgain in Cleveland, Ohio

55 months ago

Why do people think the government can create jobs? They can only create government jobs. They are backing business, which wants to pay slave labor pay.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

55 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: Sometimes a little red wine generates a lot of enthusiasm. I did think the site was looking pretty good before I deleted it;)

The site looked impressive. Did you make it?

I just didn't want you to spend a lot of time re-inventing the wheel.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: The unemployment numbers and there are 6 of them, are important only to the unemployed and to politicians up for re-election. Put another way, are you really interested in Lindsay Lohan's latest antics? This is how many people look at the unemployment situation.

Most of our wealth now lies in intellectual property not in building Oldsmobiles any more.

This is true. Most people are just in a constant state of distraction. They live for the weekend when they can "get drunk", party, go on vacations, shop, eat out, etc. As long as they have money coming in, they don't care.
Meanwhile, all around them, it's coming apart. They won't care until they lose that job and that big shiny SUV will go back to the bank.

Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

I am not complacent. It's a big problem for me, because I have a hard time sucking it up when all around me are lies, corruption, and insults.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

55 months ago

ThinkAgain in Cleveland, Ohio said: This is true. Most people are just in a constant state of distraction. They live for the weekend when they can "get drunk", party, go on vacations, shop, eat out, etc. As long as they have money coming in, they don't care.
Meanwhile, all around them, it's coming apart. They won't care until they lose that job and that big shiny SUV will go back to the bank.

Some have compared us to the last days of the Roman empire; its all bread and circuses.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

55 months ago

ThinkAgain in Cleveland, Ohio said: I am not complacent. It's a big problem for me, because I have a hard time sucking it up when all around me are lies, corruption, and insults.

Ah, you're just pissed because you are unemployed. LOL!

(just kidding)

Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Ah, you're just pissed because you are unemployed. LOL!

(just kidding)

I am employed and have been for over 8 months.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

55 months ago

ThinkAgain in Cleveland, Ohio said: I am employed and have been for over 8 months.

Sorry. So you are here sluming?

Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: The site looked impressive. Did you make it?

I just didn't want you to spend a lot of time re-inventing the wheel.

I posted the photo and huff post link. It was easier to use than word press. I need a blog to let out my frustrations.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Sorry. So you are here sluming?

I am trying to find a new career. Or possibly go into business for myself.
You have to stop thinking that those employed just have it made.
And it is spelled, "slumming".

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

55 months ago

ThinkAgain in Cleveland, Ohio said: I am trying to find a new career. Or possibly go into business for myself.
You have to stop thinking that those employed just have it made.
And it is spelled, "slumming".

You're right. My apologies. English is my second language and those: you're, your, lose, loose, their, there, slum, slumming are killers.

Welcome aboard.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.