Liberal Studies Degree? Worthless?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

sidney vallon in Chicago, Illinois

20 months ago

Could anyone offer me some advice on a degree?

I currently attend a large state university where I feel like a number. I am 27 and work full time. Trying to balance work and school, I figure that finishing my degree (45 credits to go) online is best for me. The problem is that my university (which is not one of those sketchy online universities -- just to make it clear) doesn't offer a lot of degrees online.

There is the option of a Liberal Studies degree where I could choose a minor (which would require going on campus). But I'm afraid that when I finish said degree, I will not be able to find a job. I was also considering a degree in PR, English, or possibly Spanish (these would require me to go on campus, but would definitely cause a big problem with my work schedule and I'm not sure if I could do it).

However, I'm afraid that with any of these degrees, I will still be left in a bad situation with little upward mobility in my career. I am considering stopping at this point since I have an associate's degree. Can anyone offer any input? I'm terrified to take out more student loans with the way the economy is. And even at my state university, the tuition is still pretty steep at just about 1k per class.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

20 months ago

Reread your last paragraph. You have answered your own question.

You have a job, which is more than other people can boast. Work on servicing your current debt. Taking on further debt in an uncertain economy is unwise. You are still young and can finish college anytime. Besides, you may do well enough for yourself that you won't need to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

20 months ago

I have a liberal arts degree. Hasn't done a thing for me. There are a number of folks of various ages on this forum who have multiple degrees in various subjects who are unable to get a job. Just something to think about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Linden, New Jersey

20 months ago

Woohoo! Master's Comm degree holder, here! I don't even know where it is in the dark recesses of my closet, let alone needing to prove it. Not one employer has ever asked me to even prove my bachelor's let alone master's. It has never mattered....good thing it was free, huh?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

20 months ago

sidney vallon in Chicago, Illinois said: However, I'm afraid that with any of these degrees, I will still be left in a bad situation with little upward mobility in my career. I am considering stopping at this point since I have an associate's degree. Can anyone offer any input? I'm terrified to take out more student loans with the way the economy is. And even at my state university, the tuition is still pretty steep at just about 1k per class.

Don't pursue a higher degree just for the sake of having one. Most particularly do not go for a liberal arts degree if your intent is to get the degree to help your career goals; it's too generalized and the return on your investment is pretty poor.

If you have a specific career path you want to pursue, try to find mid-level and senior people in that field and do some informational interviews with them to get their advice on training and education for that field. You'll learn what's really needed (and might be able to find a mentor on top of it).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

20 months ago

My oldest sister has a Communication degree worked in advertising a few years and eventually went to law school. That was 20 years ago.

A liberal arts degree will only leave you with student loan debt and no job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

20 months ago

Your degree is your stepping stone to your first job or two. After that, it means very little. It's all about knowing what you want to do and being able to get it. Of course, if you can't get what you want, you may have to change course, as many have.

The bottom line is that it's kind of necessary to have the degree, but it doesn't mean much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.