I'M GETTING SOME INTERVIEWS, BUT NO JOB OFFERS, DO I HAVE A BAD JOB REFERENCE? Please help.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (49)

Robotics Man in Phoenix, Arizona

29 months ago

I’m a licensed electrician with more than 15 years in the trade. I’ve been off work for approximately 9 months after a workforce reduction. I’m still looking, but thankfully I’ve had some interviews in the last 90 days. My interviews seem to go well and on more than one occasion I’ve walked out feeling like I had a good chance of getting an offer.
Even though the interviews seem to go well, I’m not getting offers or second interviews.

When I talked about this with a career counselor he suggested that I might want to have my references checked to see if I have a bad job reference. I admit that I dismissed this as a possibility initially, but the more people I talk to about this (friends, family) the more they seem to agree with my career coach.
So, how do I find out, and what can I do about it if I do have a bad reference?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Older yet Wiser in St. Paul, Minnesota

29 months ago

I think you may have a problem and I really think you should get it checked out. It could mean getting the job or not.
I had a similar experience where I resigned from a company, joined a new firm, and then got laid off later on due to no fault of my own. I hadn't realized it at first that I had a bad reference when I started my job search, so I wasted several months with this undeserved stain on my record.
As it turned out, My old boss was really saying some aweful and untruthful things about me. I hired a reference checking service CheckYourReference.com to check my references and they found out what was being said by my old boss. I was supplied a multi-page report with with verbatim quotes of what my old boss said, and they even graded her demeanor and tone of voice during the conversation.

I was stunned at what was be said about me, and angered by the lies being told even though it was contrary to my performance reviews. Thankfully, I had copies of those reviews to further support my position.

I talked my situation over with the investagator who handled my case and he and set me up with an easy to use, inexpensive Cease & Desist Letter template which allowed me to put my old boss on notice. I even sent a copy of the cease and desist to the CEO of the company and that was the end of my problems.
I even followed up with a second reference check in about 5 weeks and it was amazing how my old bosses tune has changed.

When it comes to reference checking, there seems to be two leaders in the industry - CheckYourReference.com and Allison Tyler. I picked CheckYourReference.com because they offered the same service for a lot less.

I wouldn't recommend you ignore this situation. In today's climate you just can't afford not to know what is going on with your references - like Mary from Tampa said, it can destroy your career.

You absolutely must know what is being said. Based on my experience, I wouldn't start another job search without checking

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Investor Guy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

24 months ago

This exact thing happened to me. I made it as a finalist for every job I interviewed for yet I landed none. I learned an old reference was bad mouthing me. It's amazing how much time, money and effort I put into this interviews all for it to be taken away by someone who can slander me without repercussions or cause. I just recently discovered this and have not had an interview since I figured out this problem. What he says is that he doesn't give references but he would not hire me again. Unfortunately that is within his legal right and very damaging. My only choice is not to use him going forward. I asked this person on the phone if they were comfortable being a reference and they said 'sure' They are a true spineless b@stard for not saying to my face that they didn't want to be my reference. This guy has no clue or care how tough the employment market is right now and how much his nasty one liner has messed up my life. The worst part is I was a good employee. I gave plenty of notice before quitting and even trained my replacement. Unfortunately there are bad people in the world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

24 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: There have been times that I fit job descriptions rather well so I would apply. A few days or so later, I would see the job reposted with the description tweeked just enough to exclude me...... so I can only think I was partly responsible for that.....

Oh, I've seen a multitude of ads reposted after I'd applied to them or interviewed with them that said "Parafreegal need not apply." I consider it a shout out every time I see it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Investor Guy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: This exact thing happened to me. I made it as a finalist for every job I interviewed for yet I landed none. I learned an old reference was bad mouthing me. It's amazing how much time, money and effort I put into this interviews all for it to be taken away by someone who can slander me without repercussions or cause. I just recently discovered this and have not had an interview since I figured out this problem. What he says is that he doesn't give references but he would not hire me again. Unfortunately that is within his legal right and very damaging. My only choice is not to use him going forward. I asked this person on the phone if they were comfortable being a reference and they said 'sure' They are a true spineless b@stard for not saying to my face that they didn't want to be my reference. This guy has no clue or care how tough the employment market is right now and how much his nasty one liner has messed up my life. The worst part is I was a good employee. I gave plenty of notice before quitting and even trained my replacement. Unfortunately there are bad people in the world.

I don't know if I believe in karma, but as to this guy I do. Eff him and the horse he rode in on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

24 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: Oh, I've seen a multitude of ads reposted after I'd applied to them or interviewed with them that said "Parafreegal need not apply." I consider it a shout out every time I see it.

LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

24 months ago

Mech-Phree in Chicago, Illinois said: LEGALLY, your employer can not bad mouth you to another employer. Legally the only thing they are able to do is tell your possible employer the day you started, day you ended, how much money you made when you started and how much you made when your job ended. If you can prove your previous employer is bad mouthing you even if it's over something you did you can sue them for damages.

Well, you better lawyer up now cause that is BS. What an employer cannot do is lie.

I remember a sexual harassment suit at my last employer. Both male and female were fired. The female sued for some ungodly amount. They settled out-of-court for a few thousand and you know why?

Well, lemme tell you pumpkin, if that had gone to trial, it becomes public record and you know how these background checks work now. The company's attorney knew that would change her mind and never broke a sweat. LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

24 months ago

Mech-Phree in Chicago, Illinois said: LEGALLY, your employer can not bad mouth you to another employer. Legally the only thing they are able to do is tell your possible employer the day you started, day you ended, how much money you made when you started and how much you made when your job ended. If you can prove your previous employer is bad mouthing you even if it's over something you did you can sue them for damages.

Legally, what some companies are doing to avoid lawsuits is when asked: Would you rehire? Its just YES OR NO. They will not give out further explanation because there isn't any.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Massachusetts

24 months ago

To my knowledge no laws are on the books to muzzle employers. They can say anything about you to a prospective employer...even if it's untrue.

The burden would be on you to prove you were badmouthed. You would also have to prove you were damaged. Good luck with either. The truth is generally a complete defense to a defamation action.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

24 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Massachusetts said: To my knowledge no laws are on the books to muzzle employers. They can say anything about you to a prospective employer...even if it's untrue.

The burden would be on you to prove you were badmouthed. You would also have to prove you were damaged. Good luck with either. The truth is generally a complete defense to a defamation action.

Well said.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Employment attorneys counsel employer-clients to limit comments about former employees. They counsel them accordingly to limit exposure to defamation actions.

That doesn't bar employers from giving negative references. Whether or it is is justified, employers won't always give you positive references. If a negative reference happens to be true, that's tough. I am in no way taking the employer's side, but sometimes negative references are justified. If a negative reference is false, you face a heavy burden to prove that it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Employment attorneys counsel employer-clients to limit comments about former employees. They counsel them accordingly to limit exposure to defamation actions.

That doesn't bar employers from giving negative references. Justified or not, employers won't always give you positive references. If a negative reference happens to be true, it's tough. I am in no way taking the employer's side, but sometimes negative references are justified. If a negative reference is false, you face a heavy burden in court to prove that it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mezosub in Costa Mesa, California

23 months ago

Negative references are frequently easily disproved with performance reviews and other documents from HR files.

And even if a former supervisor writes a negative performance review, it's quite likely that enough other supervisors have written so many complimentary statements so as to cast aspersions on the objectivity of the reviewer who wrote the negative remarks.

The reason why simple cease and desist letters work so well is because no employer wants to be subject to a subpoena and go through the hassle and expense of recovering a separated employee's HR files, only to discover that all the (positive) written information in it contradicts the (negative) verbal statement of the person being interviewed as a reference. This is why most corporate HR policies are to confirm title, duties, and dates of employment, and nothing more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Mezosub in Costa Mesa, California said: Negative references are frequently easily disproved with performance reviews and other documents from HR files.
What if your immediate supervisor was the only person who reviewed you? Especially if you worked for a small law firm that didn't keep such scrupulous HR records. Documents may not exist that can disprove negative references. Nothing much you can do about it, especially after the supervisor badmouthed you during a telephonic reference check. You can't unring that bell and the former employer knows it.

An alternative might be to hire a company that peforms fake reference checks for people suspicious of being badmouthed. If the company tells you your former employer badmouthed you, maybe you can approach the employer and ask him to stop. The employer is done with you. He shouldn't have anything against you returning to work. When discussing lawyers, though, so many of them are vengeful individuals intent on fulfilling vendettas, including ones they have against former employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

I talked with my references about using them as a reference prior to ever listing them. I'm 100% positive they'd give me glowing recommendations.

I have one former direct supervisor who I'd never use as a reference because he's so unpredictable and would say inappropriate and sometimes bizarre things off the cuff. He can't be contacted by prospective employers because that law firm is defunct.

You can't just put people down as references. You have to ask them, and you have to be sure they have integrity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Artsy in Alabama in Mobile, Alabama

23 months ago

Robotics Man in Phoenix, Arizona said: I wanted to share some good news.
First, on the advice of "Older but Wiser" and with the help of the people at Checkyourreference.com I had my last two job references checked out and discovered a problem with a previous employer who was giving me a bad referral. Once I realized what was being said about me, I admit I was initially very upset, but I was able to stop the slander using the cease and desist letter on the CYR website. I elected to follow-up with a second reference check and found my old boss had changed his tune about me.
The best news I can share is that I start a new job next Monday (march 19) and the hiring manager told me my references all checked out.
If there is a lesson to be learned here (and I learned it the hard way) is that your old boss has little chance of getting caught giving you a bad reference, but I caught mine and I stopped the misbehavior without hiring a lawyer or filing a lawsuit. My only regret is not acting sooner.

I had the exact same situation happen and I am so thrilled with CheckYourReference.com! The piece of mind is priceless and I feel confident moving forward on my quest to find my career. I highly recommend their services- well worth the investment!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Artsy In Alabama in Mobile, Alabama

23 months ago

Artsy in Alabama in Mobile, Alabama said: I had the exact same situation happen and I am so thrilled with CheckYourReference.com! The piece of mind is priceless and I feel confident moving forward on my quest to find my career. I highly recommend their services- well worth the investment!

*peace

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Artsy In Alabama in Mobile, Alabama

23 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Massachusetts said: What if your immediate supervisor was the only person who reviewed you? Especially if you worked for a small law firm that didn't keep such scrupulous HR records. Documents may not exist that can disprove negative references. Nothing much you can do about it, especially after the supervisor badmouthed you during a telephonic reference check. You can't unring that bell and the former employer knows it.

An alternative might be to hire a company that peforms fake reference checks for people suspicious of being badmouthed. If the company tells you your former employer badmouthed you, maybe you can approach the employer and ask him to stop. The employer is done with you. He shouldn't have anything against you returning to work. When discussing lawyers, though, so many of them are vengeful individuals intent on fulfilling vendettas, including ones they have against former employees.

That was my situation- one person to do reviews and the HR records were not extensive enough to give an authentic representation of my performance. Although I had increased productivity and profit, the fact remained that my supervisor was concerned about running the show and protecting their position. I'm so grateful I found CheckYourReference.com- that has made all the difference!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Bristol, United Kingdom

17 months ago

I resigned from my job last year after 23 years service with an agreed reference. I get so far as interview stage 'and I know the interview have gone well' a few days later I get a call to say I was unsuccessful. I think this as got something to do with my agreed reference. Is that legal to change a reference agreement?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

17 months ago

Robotics Man in Phoenix, Arizona said: When I talked about this with a career counselor he suggested that I might want to have my references checked to see if I have a bad job reference. I admit that I dismissed this as a possibility initially, but the more people I talk to about this (friends, family) the more they seem to agree with my career coach.
So, how do I find out, and what can I do about it if I do have a bad reference?

There are two parts to this; the employer check, and the personal references.

Most employers in the US will only verify basic information like exact dates, titles, duties; as someone else pointed out, it limits their exposure for lawsuits.

And as others suggested, it's really easy to get around, especially with some carefully worded questions, and carefully worded responses on the employer's part.

If you're working in a smaller, niche field, there's a lot of informal communication, where one bad choice will mar your reputation without any active blackballing. What's worse, is sometimes your personal references aren't so supportive.

Do check; pay attention to what's being said, how it's said, and what's not being said. The omissions can speak louder than words.

And don't discount a possible data issue, especially if there's someone out there in your area with the same name in your line of work.

jenab in Austin, Texas

17 months ago

Karen in Bristol, United Kingdom said: I resigned from my job last year after 23 years service with an agreed reference. I get so far as interview stage 'and I know the interview have gone well' a few days later I get a call to say I was unsuccessful. I think this as got something to do with my agreed reference. Is that legal to change a reference agreement?

I don't know UK HR law, but I can imagine there are lots of ways to get around it. And with 23 years service, I wouldn't be surprised if age discrimination is a factor (which is another thing that's really easy to get away with).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

justaboutfedup in West Mifflin, Pennsylvania

16 months ago

I know I'm being black balled because I tested. I took the job off three applications and was called in instantly and offered the job but location were to bad for traveling,. I then was promised a second interview after they contacted the job I think is bad mouthing me and then turned around and never heard from them. This also happened before, So far I have applied for more than 100 jobs I'm qualified to work in and had the job on my resume and they have not even called me in for a interview. This job that is bad mouthing me, put me through so much that many employees at the company felt sorry for the abused I endured from the supervisor. She would threaten my career like every month just to make fun infront of crowds of people, she lied and said I never called in on time to call of sick. She would set rules for putting PTO that only I had to follow and not the girl under me who she was cool with. The abuse got so bad I ending up contacting the EEOC and then decided to just resign peacefully. All the residents, liked me and was sad I was leaving. Everyone knows I did a good job and some staff members say they miss me and the residents do to. I even got raises but she always tried to lie on me on my evaluation, say I didn't get along with other staff though the people she was speaking about was people she was real cool with, who was also verbally abusing me. I even found out that one of their Entertainment people, left because he got sick of my supervisor abusing him. He said when he refused her offer of a relationship, she became abusive, even accusing him of drinking on the job with no proof what so ever. He use to hear her treat me like crap infront of him to. I tried to speak to the administrator about it, and she said, for me to settle it with her. So I resigned and I think it was when she was attempting to build a case against (from lies) to move the girl under me (her friend) in my position. This lady is sneak and has told everyone in the room before she was

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Trish in Victorville, California

13 months ago

Lots of similar situations. I was laid off from an Aircraft Repair Station and have applied for hundreds of jobs and had over 20 interviews in 1 year. Most of them are positive interviews but then I never get called back or they chose someone else. My evaluations were all great I got along with everyone and they were all sad and surprised when I got laid off. Yes my boss let me go to hire his friends son which this KID had No experience in Aviation and No High School Diploma. I had many years experience in Aviation, Diploma and College. Now that this family owned Repair Station has all their friends and relatives working they are bad mouthing my references so I cannot seem to get hired anywhere. My boss has always been prejudice towards me and others of different races then him. KARMA!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

sscrugg in Nashville, Tennessee

9 months ago

LEGALLY they can say whatever they want due to Freedom of Speech. It is only Company Policy that is usually in place to say dates of employment and title held.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

9 months ago

sscrugg in Nashville, Tennessee said: LEGALLY they can say whatever they want due to Freedom of Speech. It is only Company Policy that is usually in place to say dates of employment and title held.

Legally, there are limitations to free speech.

The policies are to avoid accusations and charges of tortious interference, slander/libel, and wrongful termination liability, because anyone at a company may be construed as a representative of that company.

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

9 months ago

Wow wonder why so many ancient threads are getting revived?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in MD in Catonsville, Maryland

9 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: Wow wonder why so many ancient threads are getting revived?

I was wondering the same thing myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Veepveep in Colorado

9 months ago

Artsy in Alabama in Mobile, Alabama said: I had the exact same situation happen and I am so thrilled with CheckYourReference.com! The piece of mind is priceless and I feel confident moving forward on my quest to find my career. I highly recommend their services- well worth the investment !

Glad to hear this. Im going thru somethign similar using checkyourreference and needed the advice on this thread. Best of luck to OP.

eagertofly in Belfast, United Kingdom

9 months ago

I would suggest you and anyone else take this step to make sure you check your references because in this economy you can not afford a bad reference. It really frosts me that so many HR and/or managers/supervisors etc etc will give one for a petty reason. This is peoples lives we are talking about seriously it is not a game.

still retired in Texas

9 months ago

John in MD in Catonsville, Maryland said: I was wondering the same thing myself.

I think its funny. Those silly INDEED HOST!

jenab in Austin, Texas

9 months ago

eagertofly in Belfast, United Kingdom said: I would suggest you and anyone else take this step to make sure you check your references because in this economy you can not afford a bad reference. It really frosts me that so many HR and/or managers/supervisors etc etc will give one for a petty reason. This is peoples lives we are talking about seriously it is not a game.

One of the things I do is ask for an endorsement on LinkedIn for actual references -- that way I can see what they're writing about me, and know if they're actually willing to be a reference.

And I make sure that I have the HR contact information -- it's good to know there's a phone number where someone will answer in a timely manner, and be professional (well, hopefully, but that's a whole other conversation).

marmb in Hayward, California

9 months ago

Qst is can I contact person I interviewed with and ask them if a bad reference was the reason I was not offered the position. In the past I have always in ways taken for granted the job is pretty much in bag when references are contacted. Now that I have one new reference whom I don't totally trust , I am starting to consider if their feedback was negative in some way. I know two of the other references were contacted and in fact emailed me to say they had given stellar references. Is there some way of identifying a bad reference this time around?.

JS in Bethesda, Maryland

9 months ago

Always fight!

I learned this through my experience: people don't give a crap about right or wrong, but they do behave based on simple principle: if you are weak, they perceive you as a fair game and will stomp on you. If you are perceived strong, they will all wiggle their tales and let some saliva out too.

Fight back, so people see there is a peril in engaging you. Make it costly to do damage to you.
Your employer has a business, insurance to pay and some "business reputation" to worry about. Using any and all legal means in your disposal, do as much damage to it as you can.

Think of it, you as ordinary job-less person have zero to lose (you already have nothing), but business owner has much at stake.
Even doing as much as filing a law suit and publicly sharing tons of information (as part of filings) may put your former boss in unwanted position. Anyone in future will be able to look up those public records that will stay there forever. Even if you don't win defamation lawsuit.

But, aside from above, try to think hard and as impartially as you can and honestly tell yourself , if no one else, whether you did something wrong and deserved what you call "badmouthing". If you did you may loose much of fireball you would need to fight them off. Or, better yet, learn your lessons and don't do bad things in future.
But if your former boss is outright malicious and vengeful person, then let Machiavelli be your teacher.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

9 months ago

Doreen Ashley in Henderson, Nevada said: my boyfriend and i broke up for almost 5 months ago. he made me cry all day wishing i can get him back. i loved him so much, i needed him so much, i was desperate in getting him back so i contacted this spell caster dr.marnish@yahoo com through his mobile number to help me, i told him all that happened and he told me that he will help me and he did as he said, just as he promised me my boyfriend came back,
Doreen Ashley

We already have our own resident spell caster but thank you.

Marjorie Nichol in burns lake, British Columbia

7 months ago

I am along side each and every one of you, I am a hard working individual who has and will continue doing the best that I can do, recently I had given my boss my 2 weeks notice, and she had let me go without letting me finish my 2 weeks. she paid me out minus 3 days. started off with cutting my hours to not paying me my proper over time.
now that I am no longer there she has posted comments on my facebook.
I am trying to open up my own business and have already received complaints even though its not open for business, also other calls from people that have nothing to do with anything.
I have applied to all sorts of opportunities that I am more than qualified for but nothing. 1 job I did get, went through my training and then they decided to change their minds.
I believe my boss is sabotaging me. and don't know what to do about it.

Jim W in Lanham, Maryland

5 months ago

This thing with bad job references from someone is really foolishness. Yes, there are people fool enough to give a bad job reference. I do know from experience that after seeking copies of my DoD clearance investigations through the freedom of Information Act that I was surprised to find anyone who said anything derogatory about me were ONLY PEOPLE I TRUSTED AS FRIENDS. I was surprised to find that people I thought would who give me a bad reference were people who I knew did not like me. This was not true. Only people I thought I knew as friends were the ones who criticized me.

Furthermore, what advantage is there for someone who gives you a bad reference? Remember the old saying, "watch out who you step-on on the way up, you never know who you'll meet on the way down."

And, finally, the other old saying, "the best revenge is living well." Live well just to remember the poor b@st@rds who didn't know any better than to dis you. They're paying for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Missy in San Antonio, Texas

5 months ago

Jim W in Lanham, Maryland said: I was surprised to find anyone who said anything derogatory about me were ONLY PEOPLE I TRUSTED AS FRIENDS. I was surprised to find that people I thought would who give me a bad reference were people who I knew did not like me. This was not true. Only people I thought I knew as friends were the ones who criticized me.

This happened to me. I have lost several so called "good friends" since being unemployed.

"What advantage is there for someone who gives you a bad reference?"
They think they will not get caught. And they get some sort of morbid satisfaction of secretly hurting someone who trusted them. When I brought the matter to their attention they each denied it even though their name and phone number were attached to the entries in the database. ~8(

It is time to make new friends.

Kate_outta_kontrol in deep in the heart of, Texas

5 months ago

I have a good friend who has never been unemployed and is rather clueless about how it all goes now. She cheerfully offered up the details of a job I had been fired from to a potential employer, thinking he would value the honesty of it all. After a long two hour interview he told me he wouldnt be hiring me because of it....Why did he waste my time and his? Was he bored that day? I dont know. Sometimes people mean well but say the wrong wrong thing. Yes be careful who you put down as references and do a bit of checking on what they will say...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

5 months ago

One thing to be remembered here is there will always be someone... who slights you. You can bet you never got perfect reviews from all your references. That being the case, a hiring manager doesn't refuse to hire you just because of one bad reference. He may tell you he did but that doesn't mean he hired the bosses daughter because he liked her more than he liked you. Good hiring managers hear bad stuff all the time about people and the good ones filter it out by looking at your whole record. If a hiring manager doesn't hire you because of a bad reference maybe your just as well off he didn't because its as much a reflection on his judgement as it is on the person who made the derogatory reference. We can't please all the people all the time and anyone who doesn't take that into account is a dope.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

inlimbo in Redmond, Oregon

5 months ago

There are state laws against "black balling". Oregon has such a law that if it is preventing an applicant from finding any work, the law can step in. If you have used a referral service an attorney can send a cease and desist letter saying that only dates of hire may be used. I don't know if it is in anyone's budget to hire an attorney...

Bluetea in Texas

5 months ago

inlimbo in Redmond, Oregon said: There are state laws against "black balling". Oregon has such a law that if it is preventing an applicant from finding any work, the law can step in. If you have used a referral service an attorney can send a cease and desist letter saying that only dates of hire may be used. I don't know if it is in anyone's budget to hire an attorney...

When asked the question "Would you rehire?" and the answer is No, that ends it, if the question is asked of a 3rd party verifier. You cannot ask why because Bhagwhan Shree Somethingorotherananda is in India and he never met you. That is all he sees on this screen and that is how they get around the "black balling" problem.

Bluetea in Texas

5 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: When asked the question "Would you rehire?" and the answer is No, that ends it, if the question is asked of a 3rd party verifier. You cannot ask why because Bhagwhan Shree Somethingorotherananda is in India and he never met you. That is all he sees on this screen and that is how they get around the "black balling" problem.

We did a similar thing when I was a bank teller. Sometimes, we would close an account and if the customer was an a$$hole, we would say "Account closed at customer's request. Do not reopen". We would never give a reason as that would open us up to a lawsuit.

If in a few years, that same a$$hole customer came back, all new accounts would see is "Do not reopen". Most of the time, the customer just went somewhere else. They aren't going to spend more than 10 minutes asking Why?

5 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: When asked the question "Would you rehire?" and the answer is No, that ends it, if the question is asked of a 3rd party verifier. You cannot ask why because Bhagwhan Shree Somethingorotherananda is in India and he never met you. That is all he sees on this screen and that is how they get around the "black balling" problem.

And my point is/was that any smart hiring manager is not going to see this necessarily as a flag. Just because you maybe didn't get along with that schmuck you worked for doesn't mean you won't get along with the hiring manager. A good hiring manager will look at your whole background. One of the practice stress questions used by the 40 Plus job search organization in training is, "What will your previous employer say about you?" Its a good idea to be prepared and know what the answer to this question is.

Bluetea in Texas

5 months ago

Jim W in Lanham, Maryland said: And my point is/was that any smart hiring manager is not going to see this necessarily as a flag. Just because you maybe didn't get along with that schmuck you worked for doesn't mean you won't get along with the hiring manager. A good hiring manager will look at your whole background. One of the practice stress questions used by the 40 Plus job search organization in training is, "What will your previous employer say about you?" Its a good idea to be prepared and know what the answer to this question is.

Well for me personally, I would tie your legs around your neck if I were asked that question as I am a contracts negotiator and you NEVER answer for another person as in "Why do you think Bob did that?"

You won't know this but you are going ask Bob before I am done with you but I agree with you. You have to be prepared.

Kate_outta_kontrol in deep in the heart of, Texas

5 months ago

I worked for an angry bipolar drunk. I am fairly sure she would say NO to the would you rehire question. Never sure how to handle that. If i leave that particular place of employment off my resume then there are more empty places of no employment. I already have plenty of those too. Really you all have no idea how much reading this helps and I thank you all and i pray things work out well for each of you....

5 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Well for me personally, I would tie your legs around your neck if I were asked that question as I am a contracts negotiator and you NEVER answer for another person as in "Why do you think Bob did that?"

You won't know this but you are going ask Bob before I am done with you but I agree with you. You have to be prepared.

Yep. That question sure got your attention didn't it? That's the point.

Bluetea in Texas

5 months ago

Jim W in Lanham, Maryland said: Yep. That question sure got your attention didn't it? That's the point.

You have to be prepared for an interview. Walking into an interview today with a "just be yourself" attitude is just as corny as it sounds. The competition will eat you for lunch.

Its not an interview, its an audition today.

sally in United Kingdom

1 month ago

iwonder if anyone can help or advise a friend of mine LOST been offered a job due to a bad reference,the company wouldnt disclose who it was,they have a good idea,they were working for a company when a particular indidvidual was making it difficult for him to attend work,basically bullying him as he was a bit slow as is anyone till they get their bearings,my friend took time off he told the company which did nothing also the agency,nothing was done now we feel they have given him a bad reference consequently not geeting the job,is there anyway i can find out fir them what was wrote and clim possible damamges if proven to give wrong information,my friend is thinking that why hasnt had many job offers can anyone help please

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NotMyTimeYet in Ohio

1 month ago

sally in United Kingdom said: iwonder if anyone can help or advise a friend of mine LOST been offered a job due to a bad reference,the company wouldnt disclose who it was,they have a good idea,they were working for a company when a particular indidvidual was making it difficult for him to attend work,basically bullying him as he was a bit slow as is anyone till they get their bearings,my friend took time off he told the company which did nothing also the agency,nothing was done now we feel they have given him a bad reference consequently not geeting the job,is there anyway i can find out fir them what was wrote and clim possible damamges if proven to give wrong information,my friend is thinking that why hasnt had many job offers can anyone help please

I don't like to pull people apart on how they write, but this post really is hard to read.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.